AmberPOS Reviews

by Pacific Amber Technologies

• Overall
    4.1 /5

About AmberPOS

Point of Sale Software and Retail Management Solutions for retailers in Canada and the United States.

Learn more about AmberPOS

Annette G.
Controller
Retail, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 21/2/2017

"been using this for four years and it is VERY reliable. like all new software programs, you need to adjust to all new bells and whistles"

Comments: We are a unique company with three locations and use retail and layaways. looked at a TON of different software programs and this is the only one that could customize our Layaways for what we needed. Do you have to wait sometimes for answers? well yes, who doesn't? The majority of the time I get through right away.
However, when my server went down and I needed them ASAP, THEY ANSWERED VERY QUICKLY! I was up and running withing an ' hours' and it took me over a week to get my server back. (wasn't Amber's fault it was default hardware). We were still able to run the program on computers/registers without a server. (not many software companies can boast that)
I have dealt with another retail software program in the past where SQL was ALWAYS BREAKING DOWN (for days) then all of our stores were literally down. This system (AMBER) has a great SQL structure and database. There is no perfect software company but Amber has always been kind, considerate and helpful whenever I called for issues. The problems have always been fixed (some require patience which in today's world- no one wants to wait). the most important thing is to have a stable system AND having someone in your company who can help train those who are computer illiterate. it is up to you to make the changes in your company.
there are SOOO many reports to choose from that I still haven't used all of them. the best part is having all the customer history and all this history of purchases, sales etc that you can use.
Amber does a great job of tracking individual items, so you can easily see who purchased them. Exporting is great to excel spreadsheets.

Pros: Customer History and product history. this software tracks EVERYTHING that you do with a product.

Cons: glitches that come occasionally with updates.

• Reviewed on 21/2/2017
Viviane N.
Buyer/Inventory Manager
Sporting Goods, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 31/3/2021

"Outstanding support"

Comments: Great experience.

Pros: Amber is easy to use on a daily operations.
The best thing is without a doubt the support I have received from Amber Team, specially [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] himself.
Always professional, supportive, willing to listen to any issues and help solve them.

Cons: The system is local server base and and not cloud, which required higher cost on IT services and hardware maintenance.

• Reviewed on 31/3/2021
Kevin M.
Wine & Spirits, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 13/10/2017

"Support of AmberPOS support"

Comments: For a stand alone POS solution, this is the one to choose.

Pros: AmberPOS has been our retail software supplier for over 15 years. We have had great support and solutions that fit our needs. Their improvements to the POS program has helped Marquis Wine Cellars get to the next stage of growth. Support is timely and knowledgeable. Lots of reporting capabilities and the program has been very stable over all these years.

Cons: This could integrate easier with accounting software.

• Reviewed on 13/10/2017
Dina M.
  • Reviewed on 23/5/2017

"Great Product!"

Comments: I quite enjoy using this POS system, it has made my life so much easier and I would definitely recommend to any small or large business looking for a point of sale.

Pros: Ease of operation, function ability. I like being able to add inventory fast and efficiently !!

Cons: no mainframe backup

• Reviewed on 23/5/2017
Jeff K.
  • Reviewed on 14/10/2014

"Patch, patch, Poof"

Pros: I literally lost six weeks of patches, adjustments, reloads, and re-entering products. Even with my own IT personnel involved, it never really worked. They gave me my money back, but I lost a lot of money in labor on my end to make it work. It never did integrate with Big Commerce. It deleted products on the website that were not supposed to be deleted. It was very user-unfriendly. If you like talking to their staff every day and waiting for call backs, go for it!!

Cons: Every function was a custom patch.

by N/A on 24/10/2014

This customer had a very unique set of specialized custom requirements for their ecommerce setup that were unique to their store. We spent several weeks of our time trying to accommodate the unique needs of this customer, including developing custom changes to our web connector module for them, but with each customization we made for the customer, we realized that their needs were more and more specialized.

After trying to accommodate their very unique needs, and investing resources from our side on custom programming and support, we jointly agreed with the customer that their unique, specialized needs could not be met.

Therefore we agreed to offer the customer a complete 100% refund on their purchase, even though our support and custom development costs outweighed their investment in the software.

We hope the customer can find a custom developed solution elsewhere, and apologize for any time spent from their side while we tried to make it work for them.

• Reviewed on 14/10/2014
Mrityunjay S.
Financial Controller
Retail, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 23/8/2018

"Happy with the product, followup services."

Pros: Really detailed and good control for inventory and very simple to use.
The best part is any one can learn how to use quick

Cons: Would have been awesome if you could integrate this software with any payment processing companies.
Overall good performance

• Reviewed on 23/8/2018
Kevin M.
  • Reviewed on 24/11/2011

Comments: I am very happy with the software and service from AmberPOS. I have specialized needs for my POS and PacificAmber Technologies have been especially responsive with regards to customization. They are receptive to ideas that will improve their software and show a commitment to producing the best product available. Their response time is very good and the AmberPOS staff have been thoroughly professional in all my dealings with them. My retail store is open seven days a week so stability is paramount. In over 7 years of use, I have yet to have my POS software crash. I heartily recommend this company and software to anyone in the retail sector.

• Reviewed on 24/11/2011
Chris M.
Furniture
  • Reviewed on 12/6/2014

"AmberPOS Rocks!"

Pros: Ease of use and awesome people to help at a moment's notice!

Cons: A wee bit more ability to customize would be great.

• Reviewed on 12/6/2014
Sonam A.
Software Engineer
Retail, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 1/3/2018

"A very secure system"

Comments: Overall its a good system

Pros: Main advantage of this system is it is very secure, no chances of fraud and as well as it is very fast

Cons: Should provide free trial atleast for three months to the merchants so that they can get enough time to be familiar with

• Reviewed on 1/3/2018
Wayne G.
  • Reviewed on 17/10/2014

"A robust POS for small businesses"

Pros: They are responsive to requests for assistance. The software has many advanced features. The value is good. The built-in reporting is nice, with some caveats (see below).

Cons: As a former software developer with 15 years of experience, there are a few issues I have. These might not bother everyone, though. First, the reporting system is nice, but you cannot alter the format or add/remove fields from the canned reports. This means I eventually had to build my own back end reporting system. The vast majority of people won't be able to do this, so be aware that if your main goal is robust reporting, this is a pretty major issue. Lack of keyboard shortcuts. If I change a SKU I cannot hit ctrl+S to save. I have to click the save button with the mouse. It's annoying. Unable to customize screen layouts. On the customer screen, for example, I cannot choose to display only the fields I use. This means there are a ton of fields I don't care about that I can't hide. This is the same for all the screens. The software has a lot of fields because of the advanced nature of its design. Even so, I don't need all of them, so being able to hide them would be wonderful. The label design system lacks a "snap to grid" system. Actually, it doesn't have a grid system at all. This makes designing a label unnecessarily difficult Custom queries cannot be altered later. If you setup a special price rule with a custom query and later wish to modify it, you must start over. Any attempt to change it will give you an error. This is annoying and leaves you open to risk that your new rule will miss logic you built into your old rule. It rounds down on sales taxes. If you sell any item that results in a sales tax value less than a penny, it won't charge sales tax. When you move thousands of dollars a year in these small transactions, this can lead to a substantial amount of sales tax you owe that the system never collected!

• Reviewed on 17/10/2014
Genevieve E.
    2.5 /5
  • Reviewed on 23/10/2014

"We have been very happy with Amber POS"

Pros: The reporting feature is awesome! We can provide all the relevant information our bookkeeper needs quickly and easily. Our training technician was extremely helpful and gave us a very useful orientation. We also really like the integration with a second back room computer, freeing up the POS for sales while inputting new inventory.

Cons: The software was a bit overwhelming as first. It would be ideal if there was a simplified version available for smaller businesses that could be unlocked and expanded as needed. Free technical support should be appreciated. The support subscription is expensive and the cancellation fee is disappointing.

by N/A on 24/10/2014

Our technical support fees are some of the most affordable in the industry at just $29/m per system, which covers our customers for unlimited technical support and includes ongoing software upgrades at no extra charge. While most software manufacturers force you to re-purchase a new version of the software every few years, our customers enjoy the benefit of getting all updates included for FREE with our support & updates subscription. Not only does this mean they don't have to incur additional major costs every few years, it also means they are always getting the most up-to-date version of our system, and their staff can always contact us for unlimited support.

We do not charge a cancellation fee for the monthly support subscription. However, if a customer decides to opt-out of our monthly support and software updates program for an extended period of time, and for example if two years later they are running an older, out-of-date version of our software because of that decision, we do charge a small re-activation fee to complete all the necessary updates on their systems. However there is never any fee to cancel our support program.

• Reviewed on 23/10/2014
Luke B.
  • Reviewed on 11/6/2014

"Great Investment"

Pros: Amber is the most user-friendly POS software I have come across. It is very easy to use, and the basics can be learned and navigated through almost without any experience. The vendor is also great. The support I have received has been great from the Amber technicians. They respond very quickly to any questions and concerns you have regarding how to use different functions or to correct mistakes. They are quick to take control and show you while guiding you over the phone through the steps of how to accomplish what it is that you would like to do.

Cons: Not having 24-7 customer support. Due to not having a round the clock support for weekends and other times, there are times when you cannot get assistance when you want it. Being on a different timezone also interferes with scheduling times for instructions and online help.

• Reviewed on 11/6/2014
Jacob A.
  • Reviewed on 17/4/2012

Comments: Totally Awesome Goods is a new retail brand with the ultimate goal of having a few stores and a robust website. It was important for me, right from the start, to use a POS system that can be integrated with my website and can handle more than one location. I was just about set to go with another POS system, when Software Advice recommended the AmberPOS. I spoke to Ashley at AmberPOS who was very helpful, patient and supportive throughout the process. The POS system is very easy to use, and mostly very intuitive. Since there is a lot of functionality, I am still learning all that it can do. I was up and running very quickly. The implementation was very easy, without any issues. The technician, Pavel, was very helpful and knowledgeable. Support in general has been very good. The only major issue I have had with AmberPOS was its integration with the merchant services account. I needed to do it through a YESpay gateway, and I was not aware that was the case until a couple of weeks before the store was to open. I felt this could have been better explained up front. As a result, I don't have that integrated with my POS system. Other than that, I am thus far happy with the decision.

• Reviewed on 17/4/2012
Abraham S.
Compliance Officer
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 4/4/2018

"Excellent Software for an up-and-coming company"

Comments: I utilized and managed this software at a clothing store in Downtown Brooklyn a few years ago

Pros: The software itself has a very user-friendly interface when compared to other POS programs and customer service is respectful in the least. You may not reach them on your first call within a timely manner, but when you do get someone on the phone, they are always able to help you figure out your problems.

Cons: Like most POS software, it can be difficult to train new employees who are not tech savvy on using the interface. I would recommend a more competitive, modern software for companies with more than 10 employees.

• Reviewed on 4/4/2018
Suzanne V.
HR Coordinator
Retail, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 6/12/2016

"Useful POS that allows good reporting"

Comments: Ambur is an intuitive POS system that allows you to track inventory, and run reports easily.

Pros: Track inventory, ability to apply discounts at will, intuitive.

Cons: I'd love if ambur allowed reporting on applying discounts and coupons. Their customer service has also seriously lacked during this last year. I'd also love if they put together a closed loop gift card service that is integrated.

• Reviewed on 6/12/2016
Jan L.
  • Reviewed on 21/2/2012

Comments: My partner and I own two knitting stores with extensive inventory. The inventory system that we were previously using was not user friendly, nor did it provide us with adequate reporting tools. We knew there had to be a better system, but as small business owners, cost was a significant factor. After extensive research into a variety of different options we decided that Pacific Amber Technologies provided a better product than others that cost twice the price. We have now been working with Amber POS for over a year and cannot say enough about how happy we are with this transition. The support crew was extremely patient, efficient in training all our staff, and their continued support has been invaluable. I would 100% recommend Amber POS to any business, small or large.

• Reviewed on 21/2/2012
Stephen M.
IT Manager
Retail, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 19/11/2018

"Poor company"

Comments: Stay away

Pros: Pros???? None that I can see of. They play smoking mirrors with you. They did start the refund of the cost.

Cons: They want you to open up your environment to them. They want Team Viewer access to every computer that it is installed on, and SA database access on your SQL server where you do not have access to. They will not even give you the software! Not to mention forwarding the SQL port on your router to the server as well.... Major security holes and would highly recommend staying away from the POS!

• Reviewed on 19/11/2018
Meg S.
General Manager
  • Reviewed on 21/7/2015

"Great value for the price"

Pros: It is easy to use and intuitive. Support is great (front end sales, telephone IT support, online manual is pretty good).

Cons: Everything so far has been good. We have only been on the system for a month.

• Reviewed on 21/7/2015
Justin P.
  • Reviewed on 9/11/2011

Comments: I run a small business shoe store. The store has been in business for 33 years and coming into 2011 had never had any type of POS/inventory management. I came to SoftwareAdvice.com looking for assistance in locating the perfect retail software for a business that had previously never had as much as a computer. After a couple of months, I was able to narrow my search to Pacific Amber Technologies and their AmberPOS software. Despite being based out of Vancouver and having a 3-hour time difference to me on the east coast, Pacific Amber's customer service was top notch. Since they are a smaller business themselves, they seemed to understand the constraints of time and money and really worked to make sure I was getting everything I needed without spending more than I had to. In the early stages of getting all of the hardware, if they didn't have a product that I needed for a price that worked, they would direct me towards where online I could find it while maximizing my dollars. They assisted me every step of the way, from installation of software, to setup of any hardware, to getting my inventory tracking up and running. When it came time to set up my online store, AmberPOS was once again a huge help. The integration with my physical inventory and my online inventory was synced without much hang-up. As a business that hadn't used any type of inventory tracking previously, or anything digital at all, AmberPOS was relativity simple to teach to my sales staff and owner, all of who had very little computer experience. Most caught on very easily, and I definitely think that AmberPOS's layout and graphics not only make it a nice system to look at everyday, but much more inviting to someone who wouldn't be as comfortable with a system that functioned the same but looked like a spreadsheet. Over the past six months that we have had AmberPOS up and running fully in our store, any time we needed assistance we never had much issue getting in touch with their support team. Usually we could get the issue resolved within 24 hours, and they always checked back in to make sure everything was running smoothly. I cannot recommend Pacific Amber and their AmberPOS software more for a company of any size. The only reason I gave Functionality a 4-star rating is there are still a few minor issues, but whenever those are brought to their attention they are pretty quick to listen and update the software. I'll be sure to use AmberPOS for years to come!

• Reviewed on 9/11/2011
Matthew D.
General Manager
Recreational Facilities & Services, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 3/8/2020

"Excellent POS option that does not break the wallet"

Comments: From the start, the AmberPOS Team has walked us through setup to some minor issues we have had. The fact that they responded with expedience during a 4th of July weekend speaks volumes! The team support has truly been wonderful! Easy program that can be navigated by younger staff, and flexibility of sales ability work very well. Considering that we are a ticket booth, snack bar, and retail store, this program covers all bases for us!

Pros: Scalability and user friendly features allow this to remain small but give the ability to increase as the business grows.

Cons: Due to our location, internet is a little slow. Although this is not a cloud based POS, it still requires updates that can bog down our internet. This is NOT an issue with the software, it is an in-house issue.

• Reviewed on 3/8/2020
Bookstore Manager
  • Reviewed on 27/4/2018

"Customer support is APPALLING!"

Cons: Random errors. Their "fully integrated credit card processing" isn't. Sales process through credit card payments but not recorded in register. Customer service's reponse: "Just do a physical inventory of your 15,000 items to determine what sold." Half of the month of sales and receiving history disappeared randomly for no known reason. They don't care.

by Pacific Amber Technologies on 22/6/2018

This review was mistakenly left for the wrong POS company. This is not our customer. They may have us mixed up with a Restaurant POS system with a similar name to ours. We don't sell restaurant POS systems. We sell a Retail POS system.

This anonymous review is either fake or left for the wrong POS company. It claims our system doesn't store transactions in the POS database. That is simply not true. We have thousands of customers, some with transactions going back 10+ years.

They must be mistaking our system for a different software. We tried to get Capterra to correct this mistaken and misleading review but they refused even though this was not left by one of our actual customers.

• Reviewed on 27/4/2018
Daniel A.
Director of Retail Operations
Museums & Institutions, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 7/12/2017

"Top Notch Service !"

Comments: For anyone looking for a POS system, you cannot go wrong by choosing Amber.

Pros: Amber is easy to teach to my staff, remarkably easy to use on the administrative side and offers wonderful and personal support. It is an affordable system that I highly recommend to anyone looking to upgrade. From the people to the program, itself, I couldn't be happier and feel more confident that I made the right choice by choosing Amber.

Cons: I operate four separate museum stores and maintain four separate inventories within Amber. My wish is that it could be made easy to toggle between inventories without having to log out of one and into another. I'd love to be able to just log in and be able to maneuver between inventories with a bit more ease. Trust me, I can be a whiner..........and if this is my only complaint........well, Amber is doing okay by me, then.

• Reviewed on 7/12/2017
Rachel S.
    1.5 /5
  • Reviewed on 8/6/2016

"Too clunky and customer service is terrible unless you pay"

Pros: It communicates well between 2 stores. You can set up a way to track frequent buyer cards even though it's clunky.

Cons: Getting things set up is incredibly clunky, and it's nearly impossible to predict what will go wrong. They force you to buy a subscription to their customer service help, so at that point, it adds on to the price. And if you don't, you get absolutely no help getting their software to really work for you. Most of the problems we have had are entirely THEIR fault and they still won't help you without the "customer service" package. a) we keep getting a message that says "duplicate entry or something is wrong" and they won't/can't fix it unless we pay. We can't rearrange the order of the point system items without literally going in one at a time and hitting "up up" until it gets to where you want. This takes HOURS. You can't delete one transaction that you've "held" (or "parked" in their terms) without deleting ALL parked transactions. The frequent buyer program/points system is clunky and hard to manually fix anything.. I guess it's trying to prevent fraud, but... for instance, I'm a pet food store... we do a buy 12 get 1 free program on our bags of dog food. If a person buys 6 bags of one food, and then switches to a different line of foods but the first 6 bags might sort of count (like they buy 15# bags, then buy 30# bags) you can't transfer the points from the first 6 bags at all... there is no way to "force" the free bag and deduct points. If you comp the bag manually, the customer gets one more point, not 6 less points. There is no report that I can find that tells you how many returns you've done in 1 month, or from 1 vendor, or from 1 customer, etc.. no way to track returns at all as far as I can tell. Sales per day of the week is also not found. In order to do my taxes each month, I have to run 2 separate reports... 1 to find service sales (non-taxable) and another to find tax exempt sales (like for government orgs). shall I go on?

by Paul on 12/8/2016

I’m sorry our software didn’t work out for you Rachel. I hope you find something you’re more happy with.

We do not force customers to purchase a subscription to our support and updates program – it is completely optional, but the vast majority of our customers do decide to go with the plan as it’s such a great value for your money. We offer unlimited support and complete software updates for just CAD $29/m which ensures that your software is always up-to-date and any new versions of the software are installed free of charge. The program IS entirely optional as well, and some of our customers decide not to purchase the program and instead just pay for tech-support if they need it.

We also do include up to 6 hours of training, converting data and importing of inventory from an old POS system at no extra charge.

As for our “Try before you buy” program, we have a full 90 Day 100% Money Back Guarantee for anyone who purchases our software licenses, so if for any reason they are not 100% completely satisfied with our software, they can receive a full refund no questions asked.

• Reviewed on 8/6/2016
Heather B.
CFO
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing
    2.5 /5
  • Reviewed on 21/1/2016

"two way radio shop finally found rental software to manage serial numb"

Pros: We are a specialized radio shop and require that our products be tracked by serial numbers. While quickbooks and microsoft can manage this - you cannot search either of their pos systems by serial numbers. Amber is the first piece of software I have found in years that manages serial numbers AND will manage rental radios as well.

Cons: Having to log in and out continually is time consuming. Logging in to the inventory function then in to pos sales function - It would be nicer if you logged in once and could move throughout the program on the same log in.
You cannot edit an invoice once it is made - you have to void and re-issue with a different invoice number.

• Reviewed on 21/1/2016
Laura W.
Farming, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/10/2017

"AmberPOS a Perfect Fit for our Complicated Business"

Pros: AmberPOS solved our complicated retail business's problems. We sell live animals as well as merchandise, both online and at our brick and mortar. Only AmberPOS could handle our complicated inventory needs and reporting, along with the usual POS issues. Hands down the absolute best customer support we could ask for!

Cons: AmberPOS is complex so its interface is a bit complicated. After training and daily use we were able to get comfortable with AmberPOS and use it to its full potential.

• Reviewed on 17/10/2017