15 years helping Irish businesses

About LiquidPlanner

LiquidPlanner is the only project management solution with predictive scheduling to dynamically adapt to change and manage uncertainty.

Learn more about LiquidPlanner

Pros:

We enjoy the user friendly interface. It's easy to add\move tasks and adjust project plans.

Cons:

It’s hard for me to only see *only* the projects that I own because i’m on at least one task within every project of the department so every project shows up.

LiquidPlanner ratings

3.9
4.4
4.1
4.0

7.7/10

LiquidPlanner has an overall rating of 4.3 out 5 stars based on 667 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used LiquidPlanner before?

Brandon
Brandon
VP and GM in US

Happy Customer

Comments: The product itself is great and we rarely need assistance from the LP team to get the most out of the platform. Our reporting and ability to manage multiple projects has greatly improved since implementing LiquidPlanner into our operations.

Pros:

The ability to dynamically update your entire portfolio based resource availability or task completion helps our small team set the right expectation and understand the impact each project produces across our customer base.

Cons:

Its built for enterprise integration, so in our industry the lack of integration into our CRM systems was limited.

Oluwadamilola
Operations Manager in Benin
Financial Services, 11–50 Employees

An In-Depth Review of LiquidPlanner

Comments: Overall, LiquidPlanner is a great tool for managing projects. It has an intuitive user interface and powerful features that help users plan, track, and manage projects with ease. The cost can be a bit steep for some, but it is definitely worth it for those who need a comprehensive project management solution.

Pros:

LiquidPlanner is an incredibly powerful project management tool that helps users plan and manage projects with ease. It provides an intuitive user interface to help users easily navigate through the software, allowing them to quickly understand the process and get started. With LiquidPlanner, users can easily manage tasks and resources, track progress, collaborate with team members, and make sure that deadlines are met.

Cons:

While LiquidPlanner is a great tool, there are a few drawbacks. The cost of the software can be quite expensive for a small business, and the learning curve can be quite steep for new users. Additionally, the customer support could be improved, as sometimes it can take a while for them to respond to inquiries.

DENNIS KUBAI
Head of Operations in Lithuania
Financial Services, 10,000+ Employees

Project Tracking Evolved,Time and Expenses Management Simplified

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: Harnessing an excellent and robust cloud project management and related activities.
Task scheduling and rescheduling.
Team collaboration and productivity optimisation.

Pros:

Ease of tracking project's progress,time and expense. Multi-project management and monitoring. Online project budgeting and planning. Tasks scheduling, planning, editing and updating. Online proofing and file sharing. Internal team communication via BIM persistent thread chats.

Cons:

LiquidPlanner software over delivers all in its performance, I crown it.

Jason
Sr Director, Ops in Canada
Computer Software, 51–200 Employees

[LiquidPlanner Classic] Decent product, feels dated

Comments: Overall, LiquidPlanner does very well in a very limited capacity. However, as our company grows, we are beginning to feel that we have outgrown the platform.

Pros:

We use LiquidPlanner to track ongoing tasks and client budgets/burn rates. In this regards, it is easy to set up clients, projects, and tasks, and from there, to log our efforts to those tasks.

Cons:

Given that prioritization works by the 'higher' a task is in the list, the greater priority it is given, prioritization has been difficult as we list projects alphabetically. That means that all tasks in project "A" will be prioritized over project "Z". We've had to create separate packages for prioritization, which leads to a lot of overhead.We have a lot of 'retainer' type clients, who have monthly budgets. We need to track ongoing work, as well as remaing budgets. In order to calculate how much is remaining in some of our reports, we have had to create tasks with assigned roles (such as "Sr Consultant" or "Jr Consultant") to 'hold' time on accounts for specific skills sets, and then, on a daily basis, go and update those 'holding' tasks. We have validated with LP support and they felt this was the easiest approach, but again, leads to a lot of overhead.The platform has not really changed since I have been using it (the last 6 years). A new version of LiquidPlanner is rolling out, but would require a full migration in order to benefit from new features. We have seen some other platforms that appear to offer significant upgrades in certain areas.

Ronald
Project Officer in US
Nonprofit Organisation Management, 201–500 Employees

Evolving Exceptional Online Project Tracking

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Pros:

Prioritizing task in order of their urgency. Tasks editing and updating. Collaboration of tasks and project. Cloud invoicing and billing. Time ,expense (budgeting) and activity tracking. Impressive architecture and web-user-interface as well as GUI design.

Cons:

Considering its Incredibility, nothing to regret.

Thomas
Operations Manager in UK
Construction, 11–50 Employees

Liquid planner bridges the gap between manufacturing and construction.

Comments: We sit between manufacturing and construction, this system bridges the gap between a resource planner and project management tool. It is the only system we have found that makes intuitive changes to project dates based on changes to resource or changes to projects and assigned personnel.

Pros:

The software is intuitive combining both resource planning and project management, both systems influencing each other, giving accurate predictions based on real time information and updates.

Cons:

The Gant chart for individual and the overall project portfolio is very basic cannot be exported as a report. When changing priorities the effect of the change cannot be demonstrated against the previous expected finish dates as the previous dates are lost. It would be good if you could mock run a change of the project priority and the system showed the previous finish dates dates against the new dates, demonstrating the effect the priority change has on the project finish.Sending an email on significant project milestones would be a good feature.

Jonathan
Freelancer in Canada
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed

Great platform, but you need to use it a lot to understand it

Comments: It was difficult to understand the platform at the beginning, but when you understand it, I really liked it. The thing is : I invested a lot of time just to understand it and you put the expensive price on top of that, at the end it costs me a lot more that it save in first 6 months.

Pros:

I really like that you can do a lot to help with your project management and team management. All the informations is in one place (you need to create a structure that represent your company and your staff) and everybody can find what he wants. It's easy to do follow-ups with clients. The best thing is that you don't need a few platforms to see the time left, the budget and the tasks.

Cons:

It took a lot of time to find LiquidPlanner easy to use and to find a structure that represent the company and our employees . The interface (or UX) is not simple. The price is a bit expensive if you have a small team.

William
CEO in US
Internet, 2–10 Employees

Cumbersome & More Expensive Than Most

Comments: - Like the Flexibility
- Swifted Away from LiquidPlanner to a More Time-Efficent Application, But Gave Up Several Advance Features in the Trade-Off
- Too Expensive for Multiple Users on the Same Team
- Adoption Process for New Team Members Extremely Time Consuming

Pros:

- Customizable (To a Degree) - Reporting Capabilities - Excellent Interface with Our Client Invoicing Application

Cons:

- Extremely Time Consuming to Set Up & Deploy - Frequent Software Changes Requires Extra Time to Maintain & Reconfigure - Expensive Relative to Similar Application Alternatives

Asnath
Assistant Projects Manager in US
Information Technology & Services, 201–500 Employees

LiquidPlanner in IT&S Industry

4.0 4 weeks ago New

Pros:

LiquidPlanner makes a breeze to manage, plan and track projects in one place.

Cons:

I do not like the fact that I must be connected to the internet to use LiquidPlanner.

Alex
Program Manager in US
Construction, 201–500 Employees

RMM & PPM Program of All Times

4.0 4 weeks ago New

Pros:

LiquidPlanner automates workflow which saves time on project portfolio & remote monitoring and management processes.

Cons:

LiquidPlanner is pricey and lack robust features such as file sharing and web design but it integrates with external apps.

katherine
IT Application Director in US
Hospital & Health Care, 10,000+ Employees

Not flexible enough to be an all-in-one project and task management software

Comments: I liked LP for a long time but the notes section is awful so there was always a hole and required the use of other tools to manage design and long lists of action items for a task. The refresh on the kanban board has also gotten buggier over time so using it in meetings when you are quickly moving from task to task has been frustrating. I also struggled with limitations around requiring information and adding fields for task/project tracking that meant I had to always use tools outside of LP to communicate with other teams involve in a project, business sponsors and IT leadership. I have moved all of my real tracking into Notion where I have complete control over all of this and it has improved my team's productivity immeasurably! I will likely move completely away from LP in the future because it just is too rigid and inefficient.

Pros:

I like the conversation that LP forces around how much time something will take and the idea that building out a list of smaller to-do's will help you identify how much time a task will take to complete. I like LP so much more than a traditional project management tool.

Cons:

There is a lack of flexibility when looking at projects and tasks together. In Notion, I am much more able to plan out task due dates across multiple projects and tasks that are in-flight at the same time. LP does not have enough flexibility to really meet the needs of a small team working on lots of things at the same time. It is too siloed.

Tempo Response

2 years ago

Katherine Thank you for your candid and thorough feedback. We value customer feedback and incorporate it into our product development. We are so glad that LiquidPlanner helps your team estimate timelines more accurately. Ranged estimation is one of our core product features unique to other project management tools. We are sorry to hear that you are struggling to plan projects across your team's portfolio. Please reach out to me. We believe our team of experts can help your team solve any portfolio management problems. We also wanted to inform you that we completely rebuilt our tool based on feedback like yours last year. We invite you to try out our NEW LiquidPlanner product as we think it will solve the communication challenges you have been experiencing with the Classic product. Reach out to us anytime if you are experiencing problems. We are always here to help make your team as efficient as possible! - Ted Hawksford, CEO

Riel
CTO/CIO
Used the Software for: Not provided

The best project management tool for teams

Comments: Through thoughtful design, LiquidPlanner has made a project management application that is a perfect fit for dynamic and collaborative teams. It could replace your current project, task, time management tools and company blog by integrating them all in a natural way. Liquid Planner has a transparent way of making you be mindful of exactly how the team is using its precious time. Our company president pleaded with me to get it set up so that he could use it as a tool to help the partners understand the team's capacity. He wanted a convincing way to show why more projects could not be taken on without an increase in staff. Liquid Planner allowed me to do this within a day. I feel like the Liquid Planner designers traveled into my mind to design the perfect project/task/time manager.

Pros:

Having used many project management tools over many years, it's hard to not fall in love with LiquidPlanner. It feels like I've traveled to bizarro world where everything goes right. I can now put together comprehensive projects faster than I can plan them in my mind. I've never had this experience (including with Excel). Simply put, I don't feel the interface slowing me down. It feels like all "busy work" has been removed. I never thought I'd have a real-time schedule because of the requirements to maintain it, but LiquidPlanner delivers on this promise. Thank you. I'm embarrassed to say that "what if" scenarios are so easy and fast to do, I've developed stronger intuitive scheduling techniques without understanding exactly why they work. Am I now smarter or dumber? If you are not the type to love the clock-in/out button on each task, you might be the type to get hooked on adding a few notes when you complete each task because your notes are shared in the team's "blog."

Cons:

Introducing a new company-wide system is always hard, but you you can use Liquid Planner to replace your project management tools, time-tracking tools and company blog so that should help reduce the total number of systems. Currently companies that need a fully-featured document library should stick with what they have. There is an API and the company has been aggressively releasing new features so maybe someday. If you haven't experienced a lot of project management tools, you may not be as passionate about it as I am. Part of it's appeal is that it does what any other project management tool integrated with a company portal can do, but it does it fast and easy enough that it's actually worth using.

Medical Devices, 2–10 Employees

Hard to get over the preconceived notions, but worth it

Comments: I am very much a fan of this software. I think the limitations for how it can help is more around people understanding what it does differently than Project or similar tools than with the tool itself. One of my most recent experiences tells the story well. When we were discussing the pros and cons an individual with a lot of influence was complaining that dates in the tool move if someone is sick and not getting to their tasks. I had a hard time understanding a perspective that a plan with a date should be static regardless of what people do. This tool is about understanding your progress based on what people do, not a static planning tool that people never look at or influence by there actions and therefore allows us to pretend that finish dates don't change regardless of peoples actions or issues that can arise. My overall opinion is the tool is limited more by peoples perspective than anything else and if you want better tracking, predictability, and ability to influence results you need to invest 30% of your time on the tool and 70% of your time getting people to wrap their heads around what this is doing and not what it might replace.

Pros:

It helps to organize the tasks and get people the right information to work on. It helps to prioritize what needs to happen and forecast how long it takes. It does a great job of managing hand offs within a team. It provides more tools than a typical user will ever need. The deeper you go the more value you can get.

Cons:

It can be difficult to get people to understand that this is not typical planning software. A more robust tutorial and a better description of what this tool is would help get teams to start faster.

Computer Software, 51–200 Employees

Manager's view

Comments: It's a great improvement over our prior way of working, but after a few years we still haven't perfected our system to get exactly what we needed. Ideally, the only manual steps would be timely tracking of work on tasks and revised estimates, but to get our needs met we've needed more manual work.

Pros:

Prior to Liquid Planner, all of our client projects were in individual Microsoft Project files - which isn't ideal when you have shared resources. Now that we've used LP for a few years, we have much better visibility to work coming down the pike as well as potential conflicts/overbookings. However, the tool is only as good as the team's willingness to use it in a timely and accurate manner.

Cons:

The nature of our business and projects is much more complicated than what is featured in the sales process. Clients have a role in the process, and delays on their part push out all our deliverables. This is hard to capture/manage in LP without additional manual updates by the project manager. Also, we've had to devise a bit of a workaround workflow to allow us to properly prioritize individual tasks across multiple projects - again, requires some manual management/movement of tasks. When any of the manual work falls by the wayside, the quality of the projections in LP is diminished greatly.

Kerry
Design Engineering Manager in US
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 501–1,000 Employees

Great but room to improve

Comments: Liquid Planner has helped us be more organized and has helped us manage several projects at once. Being able to see expected project completion dates and expected hours to complete is helpful. Overall I am very pleased with Liquid Planner but wish it was better in the areas I mentioned.

Pros:

I like sevaral things about Liquid Planner. Here are just a few. I like the project management in general. I like the range of hours for tasks. This helps improve overall project scheduling. I like being able to add custom fields to tasks and projects. I like the ability to do ASAP Tasks.

Cons:

While great, Liquid Planner is not perfect. I wish the reports and analytics worked a bit more intuitively. There are several things that I have tried to do that I have not been able to figure out. Some I have been able to resolve with customer support. Others I found were things that are not possible. Although Liquid Planner is set up great for tracking time for projects it doesn't work well for projects that are firm fixed priced. Most of the projects we work on here are firm fixed priced. I am aware of the baseline feature, but frankly it just isn't very good, nor are the graphs for tracking to plan. There are a few other things that I'm not remembering at the moment.

Ben
Head of Development Technologies in US
Internet, 11–50 Employees

Expensive, complex, and extremely powerful.

Pros:

LiquidPlanner is quite customizable with different ways to view tasks and many different screens to visualize things in alternative contexts. For a project manager on the business side, it allows for very powerful organization of multiple projects and teams, and many possibilities for scheduling and prioritizing tasks. It allows for flexible time tracking using range estimates and a simple time entry view.

Cons:

It's easy to lose track of how many hours were actually approved for a task if you want to take advantage of the ability to re-estimate things on the fly. It can be slow to load and cumbersome to use. It can be difficult to find things in the overly complex Projects view. Search filters get reset every time you click a task link from someone else that doesn't match your existing filters. It's not always intuitive how to find things using the available search options (for example, unless you put the project name in every task title, searching for the project name doesn't do much good). Time entry takes a lot of clicks with recent updates if you need to add notes to each item. The API is complex to use (though powerful).

Jackson
Jackson
Account Project Manager in US
Marketing & Advertising, 11–50 Employees

The Perfect Project Management Tool

Comments: LiquidPlanner (or LP) is our time tracking and project management solution that allows us to plan and forecast, as well as look back at tracked data to become better. Overall, we are not looking to change any time soon as this tool is so embedded in the way we run our business.

Pros:

This software helps our agency thrive and manage a lot of work with ease. We have out entire in house team as well as select contractors set up in this tool for our time tracking and project management of tasks and projects. It offers tons of flexibility and allows us to follow a hybrid waterfall/agile approach to managing work. Schedules are easy to create and export on the fly, reassigning team members and forecasting are easy, etc. It's also very easy to prioritize project work and escalate accordingly and look out and plan months in advance.

Cons:

Might be a little outdated feeling in that there isn't a Trello-style board to drag and drop projects/tasks/people, though there is a similar functionality still built in to the tool. It's also not really designed to allow external project teams (your clients) into the system, but there are workarounds.

George
Technical Data Analyst in US
Higher Education, 1,001–5,000 Employees

LiquidPlanner - built for people who are not PMs

Comments: We needed an application to organize projects for our IT team. This was the easiest to use and implement. Pricing was also reasonable at the time.

Pros:

We were able to set up Liquidplanner (LP) within a few hours. We fine tuned it in the weeks/months to come. But it worked for our team. We were able to easily enter our projects and tasks. Other PM sofware require multiple fields to be entered before your data can be tracked. I as the manager can then track the amount of hours, work pending for the various projects. I can show upper managment nice reports of the work we accomplished and work pending. If I ran into an issue with LP, I call support and they were able to quickly help me. The training videos also helped.

Cons:

There really no much I can complain of. When we transitioned to another PM software, we called LP and they help me dump all of our data. That was very nice of them. The new PM software we transitioned to was not so nice. It was hard to use, just seemed like trying to put a square peg in a round while. To update a task you have to go through 5 screens and udpate 10 fields. I wished we stayed with LP.

Food Production, 1,001–5,000 Employees

A versatile tool, adaptable to any project or process type.

Comments: Overall my experience has been good, but frustrating. It took a lot of effort and time to build out the templates I needed, and getting the team to adapt it has been a roller coaster. There are a lot of functionalities I haven't gotten to explore yet, because most of my time has been spent on maintenance of projects. That is just for my situation though, and I don't have a ton of extra time to devote to expanding my usage of reports and dashboards. I would really like to set up dashboards, I just haven't had time.

Pros:

I like that it allows me to make templates for projects, it really makes it a lot easier to start a project off. I also love that I can make custom fields, it really helps me to capture all of the important data for our type of process. Plus, everybody can choose which fields they see on their project dashboard, it helps to make sure each person only sees what is important to them and nothing superfluous.

Cons:

I really wish there was the capability to collaborate on documents - that really would make this the perfect tool. I have asked multiple times about that, but I don't think it is in the plan to add anytime soon. You can add a link to a cloud based shared file, but nothing on internal servers. Just adds an additional step to complete work.

Marketing & Advertising, 51–200 Employees

Powerful project management tool

Pros:

LiquidPlanner is a powerful online tool for managing activities, workloads, and plans. This can automatically and dynamically schedule work for your entire team even when circumstances change.

Cons:

Setting up projects and learning to use them requires a lot of time. There is no interactive Gantt chart and no attachments other than images or milestones.

Kathy
Director Enterprise Solutions in US
Pharmaceuticals, 51–200 Employees

More visibility into shared resources

Comments: We use LP to manage multiple concurrent client projects. With several project managers sharing resources, it is vital to have visibility into resource availability and potential schedule conflicts. Because of the extremely long duration of our projects (with heavy work in the beginning, then intermittently for months to years afterwards), it took us some time to develop a workflow that would allow for prioritization of individual tasks rather than projects as a whole. But we've come a long way from using stand alone MS project files! Time tracking directly on the task has also been very beneficial for more accurate tracking and billing of work.

Pros:

Flexibility, ability to manage multiple concurrent projects

Cons:

Our need for prioritization by task (rather than project) can make it challenging to get tentative timelines in front of a client that are still reasonably accurate. Would love to see a 'timekeeper only' user license option, would like to be able to track time against checklist item

Jesse
Senior Application Architect in US

Heavy on features

Comments: LP sits at the center of our workflow, for better or for worse. On the whole it's a very helpful and robust work planning solution. It's actively updated and they listen to their customers.

Pros:

- Manage nearly every aspect of work planning - Decent interface - Tons of options to visualize data - Frequent updates - Great support If you want to plan your work, LiquidPlanner can accommodate almost any workflow

Cons:

Because it has so many options, it can be overwhelming. The best thing you can do for yourself when using this software is to determine what works for you early on. There are many different ways to implement different workflows in LP so take the time to define yours. There are some UI quirks that are really difficult to get around. The "my work" tab should be much more customizable in my opinion. The UI itself takes some getting used to as well.

Sofia
Project Coordinator in US
Events Services, 11–50 Employees

Liquid Planner Review

Comments: I have a hard time inputting my time to accurately track my time, but I feel like it does a great job to assign tasks and make sure they get completed.

Pros:

Ease of timetracking, closing out tasks, assigning tasks. I haven't created an entire folder yet, but making tasks within the folder is easy.

Cons:

Time Sheet page, sometimes doesn't bring things to the next page without pinning it. Or if you're tracking time for previous weeks you have to go searching for a task.

Betsy
Business Architect in US

Very Helpful Product

Comments: LiquidPlanner has been very helpful for me to understand everything that my team is working on, help me prioritize their work so it is clear, and also understand when projects will be completed.

Pros:

I like 2 things most about this software: 1. The top-down scheduling engine2. The ability to use a "package" to pull tasks from different projects and prioritize them amongst themselves for any given week. This helps our resources who work on multiple small projects understand the priority of the tasks against everything they are working on.

Cons:

Understanding what pushes a resource load color coding to red. Sometimes it's obvious why a resource is overloaded. Other times, not so much.

Bob
Director in UK
Used the Software for: Not provided

From An Interesting Idea To An Essential Tool

Comments: I am the principal of a medium sized engineering design consultancy, working mostly in the construction and design worlds. We work on some very challenging and innovative projects, where team work and complexity are everyday issues. We had struggled for many years trying to manage our design work with spreadsheets, project management software, time sheets, etc and so on. We always started off with a great plan, but then found it impossible to keep that plan up to date as projects progressed, and then ended up making do. When we found Liquid Planner we were intrigued by the on-line accessibility and by it allowing multiple simultaneous users; everything could be centralised off site, and could be accessed out of hours from anywhere. We took the plunge in January 2014 and switched everyone over to Liquid Planner overnight. We developed a simple easy to use system for organising all of our projects in one single space, and it worked straightaway. We developed packages for each person, what we call Now Boxes, in which they shuffle their own priorities whenever they want. We incorporate dependencies to tasks, and so warnings pop up when staff move things that adversely affect task sequences. Time sheets are entered accurately in real time, and everything worked well from the off. We then moved on to another level and, with some simple customising of the fields relating to tasks, we used Liquid Planner to re-invent our quality assurance system. As structural engineers checking and quality is an essential part of our work, and with some simple tweaks Liquid Planner become our quality assurance system, and has been approved as such by our British Standard Institution ISO 9001 inspectors. In fact they were amazed at how easy and immediate our system was. Clicking and dragging on the gant chart would be nice. Also the space devoted to obscure things like date shift windows would be better spent on making diary views more accessible. We love it and are always singing its praises; it is like a member of our team.