15 years helping Irish businesses

ActiveCampaign Reviews

4.6 (2,424) Write a Review!

About ActiveCampaign

We help small teams power big businesses with the must-have platform for intelligent marketing automation.

Learn more about ActiveCampaign

Pros:

Automations are really easy to setup, email templates are good and easy to design. What I like the most about this software is user experience.

Cons:

I struggled a bit to get the email function working for my monthly company newsletter but that was mostly because I'd made an error with the segment feature.

ActiveCampaign ratings

4.2
4.4
4.5
4.4

8.4/10

ActiveCampaign has an overall rating of 4.6 out 5 stars based on 2,424 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used ActiveCampaign before?

Filter reviews (2,424)

Allen
Allen
President in Canada
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2–10 Employees

Great CRM and Marketing/Sales Software

Pros:

I love being able to create automations to manage my leads, sales and save time with many tasks I used to do manually.

Cons:

It's a bit slow and clunky with the automation builder and its massive so there is a learning curve, but it has been steadily improving.

Marit
CEO in Netherlands
E-Learning, 2–10 Employees

Amazing product for the more experienced

4.0 3 weeks ago New

Pros:

I love that Active Campaign has almost endless possibilities. My whole business is built on e-mail marketing and AC takes the work out of my strategy.

Cons:

It looks pretty dated and it's laggy at times. Also, sometimes a scheduled campaign doesn't work or gets stuck and you don't get an error or message about it.

Miguel
Digital Marketing Coordinator in Mexico
Cosmetics, 51–200 Employees

L'Occitane Review

3.0 2 months ago New

Comments: It's good in general. Setting campaigns and automations are very useful

Pros:

Setting campaigns are easy however we have had some issues on the data

Cons:

To fix some data issues we have reported

Semiconductors, 11–50 Employees

Excellent marketing automation platform

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: I was able to get the platform fully functional within one week, including linking it with my website and CRM system. If is very easy to update contacts and create new automations.

Pros:

Very easy to use: can quickly set up many automations, easy to create contact sub-groups, and send out email campaigns. If you have any issues, their customer support is outstanding!

Cons:

While pretty good, the email marketing module is inferior to MailChimp.

Josh
Creative Director in Canada

ActiveCampaign Leads the Way in Email Automation

5.0 last month New

Comments: Overall, I love ActiveCampaign. It is one of my favourite email marketing platforms.

Pros:

I love the ability to set up complex flows based on conditional logic and user actions to make sure my marketing emails get sent to the right people at the right time.

Cons:

The pricing can be tough to justify for smaller startups with smaller email lists.

Stephen
CEO in US
Internet, 2–10 Employees

A must have autoresponder

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: My overall experience with active campaign has been very good I've been with them for about 7 years now I've never had any issues with the software it works perfectly fine I'm a happy customer five-star.

Pros:

What I like about active campaign is that it's very fast I've never had any issues with it great security and I'm able to do everything from one dashboard setup was also very easy as well.

Cons:

The only thing I could say that I like lease is I wish it could be a little bit cheaper as active campaign is more on the high end side so a lot of people still can't afford it.

Stefan
Owner and Founder in Germany
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

ActiveCampaign: good solution for next level online marketing

4.0 2 months ago New

Comments: a good decision for my company, in order to manage newsletters and mail marketing

Pros:

powerful automation features, good API for own extensions, many plugins available, good online documentation and training material

Cons:

price is a bit high, website is not always updating correctly

Cub
Clinical Director in US
Mental Health Care, 11–50 Employees

Wonderful Product - Requires Significant Technology Knowledge

5.0 last month New

Pros:

The ActiveCampaign platform is very feature rich and has a lot of build-in integration options.

Cons:

It's hard to troubleshoot/debug automations, there are not any logs available. Also, it requires a consultant/firm to set up the marketing automations correctly. Despite having a significant technical background, it's not something in my wheelhouse.

Sharon
All in Mexico
Health, Wellness & Fitness, Self Employed

Like it but not the best

Comments: I know there are many futures but i have not used all because of time of programing them

Pros:

Cons:

Every single mail goes to SPAM. And i alwas check the spam score of my mail and its good

Ram
Chief of Party in US
Construction, 201–500 Employees

A Well-grounded Email Marketing and Marketing Automation Platform.

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: ActiveCampaign delivers meaningful customer experiences.ActiveCampaign also increases customer engagements.

Pros:

It is simple to streamline and automate marketing workflows hence increasing productivity with ActiveCampaign.It is possible to reach out target audience with optimized personalized emails.Running marketing campaigns across multiple channels is possible with ActiveCampaign.

Cons:

I haven't experienced any glitches with ActiveCampaign because it achieves all my objectives.

Carmelo
Web & SEO specialist in Italy
Internet, Self Employed

Complete and flexible with a great API

Comments: My expirience is overall good. In my case they even have an Italian interface and I contacted support a couple of times but as an avarege user you will probably not need assistence with this.

Pros:

Active Campaign is a great software, it is very easy to use and having used Aweber and GetResponse I can tell you that the biggest difference is that everything in Active is organized in a logical way and it is easy to grasp. But what is their stronger point in my opinion is the API system, I was able to add, update and delete contacts from a PHP script in a very simple way. Their documentation is very well done and they have functional examples that you can use as a base fro your work.

Cons:

The cost structure could be better, other software they can be cheeper but I'm willing to pay that extra money for the simplicity of usage.

Peggy
Director of Marketing in US
Publishing, 2–10 Employees

Extremely User Friendly and Subscription Comes with Great Support

Comments: When my big company split up and sold off all of its individual brands, I went from having an email staff to me taking on that responsibility all myself. My staff had been using Hubspot and I did try to learn that platform but it was not intuitive, rather clumsy...and VERY expensive. And since we no longer had the deep corporate pockets we once had, I had to move to something that was lower priced and easy enough for me to be up and running quickly. I investigated about 4 difference platforms and settled on AC and have not been disappointed. I think I made a great choice that a non-tech person like me can use and won't break our small company bank.

Pros:

I like the fact that someone like me, who has only ever written campaigns for others to create but now has to do everything myself, can get up to speed pretty quickly and now I feel very comfortable with the platform. Although there are some odd, small nuances in the drag and drop, that functionality is really good and let's me create my campaigns quickly and easily.

Cons:

For the most part, this is a great tool, but there are a few things I would like to see addressed. The first one was just addressed recently and you can now "undo." Not having an undo and instead looking at a bunch of dropdown times was not efficient, so kudos to AC for fixing that! I would also like to be able to search my images by keyword...that would save me a ton of time. Also, and this one would really be helpful...I find that creating a suppression file is an awkward process. I would like to be able to choose and list to send to and a list to suppress against that send list. Creating the segment for the suppression is not intuitive and I get confused with that.

Deanna
Speaker, Coach, Trainer in Canada
Professional Training & Coaching, Self Employed

Very happy with ActiveCampaign!

Comments: My business is still small but growing and I know that there is a lot more to tap into for what ActiveCampaign can do but I have been very happy with it so far. When I was deciding who to go with, I researched many of the options that were popular and this one just seemed like the best one. Now a couple years later, I'm seeing more and more people praising it and what it can do. That's got me thinking I made the right choice. I mean, I figured at the time that it was the right choice but I'm seeing that validated by other's comments, too.

Pros:

I like how powerful this software is and for a great price! When I started with it, I had quite a bit of a learning curve to learn it but had excellent help from support staff. It integrated well with my other online sites. Now I'm all set up and it runs like a charm. I look forward to using more of its capability as my business grows.

Cons:

I have found it a little complicated for setting up with new lead magnets but I have attributed that to its ability to do so much so that you have to navigate around to set up what you need. And, I am still learning it. But what's great is that you can duplicate an automation. So once you have created what you want, you don't have to necessarily go back to square one. That I like very much!

Candice
Tech & Systems Expert in Canada
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

I recommend it to everyone!

Pros:

I recommend ActiveCampaign to all of my clients for two specific reasons. Easy of use and features. My clients hire me because they are not tech-savvy but ActiveCampaign gives them the freedom to use a robust email marketing platform with ease after getting over a very short and small learning curve. ActiveCampaign has an AMAZING and thorough online help database as well.

Cons:

The only thing that I personally find missing from ActiveCampaign is Dubsado integration (although ActiveCampaign has a TON of integrations options so that might be a fault on Dubsado's end). I also think it would be nice to add landing pages. I host my landing pages on my Showit site but it would be a great option for some of my clients who haven't launched their site yet and want to start building their email list.

Jill
Blogger in US
Online Media, Self Employed

My top pick for an email marketing platform.

Comments: Overall, choosing Active Campaign as my email marketing service was a terrific decision. I've been happy with it so far and cannot wait to see where it takes my business.

Pros:

I love how robust Active Campaign is and at a great price. It integrates well with the many online services and I haven't needed to reach out to customer support for help. I look forward to learning more ways that I can use Active Campaign to grow my online business.

Cons:

As I progress through all of the available options and features Active Campaign has for me, I do struggle with knowing which features will help my blogging and email marketing business the most. There are many digital marketers providing courses on email marketing. Yet, I feel held back because I need to learn more about Active Campaign's platform and how it will best help me as a blogger before I can implement many of the techniques recommended to me.

Michelle
Tantric Body Love Coach in US
Professional Training & Coaching, 2–10 Employees

Had to switch from MailChimp

Pros:

I like how straightforward and intuitive the software is. -- I can actually see a visual flow map of the customer journey, I can create automated series and then schedule them easily, I can create a standard template for my weekly video campaign and then customize it without revisiting old or pre-designed templates; I wasn't able to do any of those things intuitively with MailChimp. I have fewer than 400 subscribers right now, and I'm really glad to be making the switch now instead of later down the road. ActiveCampaign is where I want to build the foundation for my email marketing from here on out. Also, I had to buy a whole separate online course to learn how to use MailChimp and ActiveCampaign includes a startup course, "Getting Started," in their platform. Much appreciated! This is turning into a MailChimp critique, but the other thing I didn't like was how I couldn't just type directly into the body of the email like how a NORMAL email works; I had to write in a separate box to the side and it made it hard to see what the actual email would end up looking like sometimes.

Cons:

Honestly I don't have any feedback about what to improve yet; I've been using ActiveCampaign for just a couple weeks.

Letha
Letha
Marketing Director in US
Events Services, 2–10 Employees

Best Value For Your Email Marketing Channel

Comments: In the 8 years that I've been setting clients up it's been worked great. The first client that I setup, still uses it! The features and options are what make AC our go to platform. Moving to AC often reduces our clients tech stack overhead.

Pros:

The combination of the UI and all the features makes this a no-brainer for us. We can easily manage email marketing or set our clients up to do it. In no instance has this been a bad choice. Typically, what makes the difference from the existing platform is the automation features. Our clients get to benefit from automated workflows gaining more engagement without additional costs.

Cons:

I only would like for the dashboard to be more customizable and lead data driven. I think the reporting can be presented better.

Amanda
Client Success Operations Analyst in US
Financial Services, 11–50 Employees

ActiveCampaign, 4 Months In

Comments: Although I'm fairly new to AC, I manage it for multiple others at my organization, so I've been deeply entrenched in it for the last 4 months. The learning curve wasn't too steep, the onboarding/training were all very good, and any time I've had an issue, the Customer Service has been top notch. There are some minor issues that are clunky (as described above) and I'd like an easier way to do reporting/analytics, but no software can do everything. All in all, their service and their respectable feature list make AC a very good value and a good choice for anyone who isn't total Type A :)

Pros:

The Customer Service is stellar, especially for being chat-based. As a previous HubSpot user (which is prohibitively expensive), AC comes pretty close to delivering all the essential features and the ease of use between the two platforms is night and day. AC is, for the most part, pretty intuitive. They also have better onboarding/training.

Cons:

There are some seemingly very basic features that are missing. That being said, I'm able to create 'workarounds' to get what I need, but the workarounds do cause unnecessary work. Specifically, I can't automate task assignment at the Contact or Account level so I have to create and organize wholly unnecessary Deals and Deal Pipelines to do what I need to do. The other (minor) frustration is not being able to customize/save multiple views. I can add columns to views and that will stay put, but the default ordering of pretty much every page is alphabetical. For instance, when I switch the Contact view to sort by Date Created, if I navigate into a contact record or another page, the list reverts to being sorted alphabetically. Same with the Automations page, etc. I want to set custom sorts that are my own defaults (preferably multiple custom sorts/views). And I want it to remember to show me records by the 100s, not 20 at a time. It's little stuff, I know, but the constant extra clicks does get tedious.

Alejandro
Alejandro
Bachelor of Digital Marketing in Mexico

Activecampaign Best email marketing software

Comments: My overall experience has been very good. It has excellent customer service when you have problems. In digital marketing we use it every day and it is necessary to have an easier way to do reports / analysis, and ActiveCampaign is difficult to read the reports, also at the beginning it is difficult to use the platform in the first weeks.

Pros:

It is an excellent platform, the CRM is very intuitive and the follow-up it gives to customers through automations is excellent, it is capable of sending automated emails or mass emails, since it has some add-ins that are very much in line with the job. . I am dedicated to digital marketing and this system has been very useful for me to be able to organize myself without the need for more paper or old Excel techniques. I highly recommend it for different types of businesses because it is also very adaptive to whatever you want to do. Highlights are CRM and sales automation, marketing reporting and analytics, contact management, and A / B testing

Cons:

It is difficult to use at the beginning, I would say that it has a learning curve of medium difficulty

Juliana
Chief Executive Officer in US
Food Production, 2–10 Employees

CRM Automation and Campaigns

Comments: Since we have perfected our CRM system, promotional campaigns in general, encompassing various aspects, their management has been so much simpler, both to evaluate their receptivity, as well as simpler aspects of design and the message itself. Evaluating these aspects is important to attract potential customers and ensure that they can find loyalty in our product. Not only with this, without a doubt we got great results thanks to a much more automated system, where we have been able tocover more and fulfill our tasks with greater speed and efficiency. The marketing team is using ActiveCampaign as the number one tool in daily work, since it brings practicality to promotional campaigns and greatly facilitates the sales funnel, categorizing each function we need to do by steps and undoubtedly boosting the results a lot, beyond what was expected. It has given us the facility to manage our information at our convenience, carry our exhaustive follow-up and issue newsletters that give us a complete overview of the work we are doing and see from the front page how we achieve our objectives in less than the expected time.

Pros:

ActiveCampaign takes our marketing management to the next level, with its extensive interface it is possible to adapt the configuration of sending marketing campaigns, managing every little detail, thanks to its varied templates we can capture our main idea and make our message come through clearly and exactly how we need it. A/B tests allow us to test that our message is working perfectly and to be able to launch it to the public. Likewise, integrating social networks is essential for a broader management of marketing campaigns and the commercialization of our product, in addition to multichannel marketing it is possible to cover much more and put our eyes on a greater range of visualization. It is the perfect platform to plan and manage our content, perfect our ideas, and send a much more solid result, as well as interact with our clients in a more direct way, perfecting the CRM system by getting what each potential client wants to receive from us. Automating the sending of emails in the search to eliminate spam messages and that our emails are received more directly in the inbox, ensuring the reading of our campaign.

Cons:

It is a tool with a complete interface, however, at the same time I can highlight that it can be too dense and complicated to use, it is not very intuitive and makes the process a bit more tedious than expected. In the same way, the search through filters is not as precise as possible, sometimes we need to find something in specific and we cannot, so it would be ideal if it were more accurate.

Roger
Coordinador de Marketing Digital in Ecuador
Education Management, 51–200 Employees

Good for email marketing

Pros:

The advantages it has is that it is easy to automate the emails that need to be sent based on conditions such as the stage of the funnel where the lead is or the lead's score

Cons:

I think it's time they could incorporate WhatsApp and social media messaging management into the CRM without the need to use any external platform

Gabby
Business Owner in US
Writing & Editing, 2–10 Employees

Satisfied with Active Campaign

Comments: I've used several different email marketing software providers but when I switched to Active Campaign, I was finally satisfied with one. It was easy for me to get started using it and that was a big factor for me. I like how the automations are similar to advanced email software and are easy to use. All the commands that I need are in the automations so I don't have to do a work-around. Customer service has been helpful each time I contact them. When needed, they send me the exact link to the documentation I need, or answer my question. Overall, I enjoy using Active Campaign and find it easy to use. The pricing is fair and I believe I get more value compared to other companies with similar pricing.

Pros:

More features than other software at similar pricing Pricing is fair Easy to use Easy to set up Fast start to using the software Good documentation Good customer service that points to documents when needed

Cons:

I don't know all of the features or how they could help my business - more explaining how things work would be helpful so I can decide if I want to implement it or not

Marketing & Advertising, 11–50 Employees

Elite Features at a Great Price Point

Comments: AC gives us everything we need for ~10% the cost of some of the "bigger " options. Cracks show if you look deep, the overall product is as advertised. If you're into automation – in the true sense – you'll love it.

Pros:

ActiveCampaign is built around automation, rather than flashy UI. It's a tremendous toolbox – deep hooks into other systems (often via Zapier), simple workflow and journey builders, easy data management. You can run a multi-million dollar marketing program on AC ... and we do.

Cons:

AC can be slow at times, and some "killer features" of other products – pre-form user tracking on the website, flashy reporting – lack.

Mohammed
Owner in Canada
Professional Training & Coaching, Self Employed

Solid Product. But is it still competitive?

Comments: I had tried several programs once my business outgrew the free plan that I was on with Mailchimp. I found Keap too complex. SendFox too basic. Then there are other platforms like Kajabi and Kartra which offers you the features, but isn't really an Email Management Platform. When I moved to ActiveCampaign in early 2000, it was the one that made the most sense. But now, from what else is out there, I know I am paying too much. It's too much of a hassle to switch and I don't have the time, so I keep using the platform. But eventually, I will reevaluate and move on to something that has better CRM features.

Pros:

Creating campaigns, automations, email design, all super easy. Contacts management and list creation is also pretty straightforward and works great. High deliverability and good reporting. I like that I can track a contact's engagement history from visits to my site, to what emails were opened, links clicked. And tagging works great.

Cons:

While they have a CRM option. It's not up to par. I use Pipedrive which is way more than I need, but Activecampaign's poor implementation of CRM is what drop its score big time. Plus it is expensive for what else is in the market. I keep paying because it's too much effort to move to save $20-$50 a month... but if I was looking to come in fresh, I would see what else exists.

Francesco
Partner in Italy
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

Used to be best in class: now they're somewhat lagging behind

Comments: WARNING: this review is more of a heads-up for Active Campaign, in case they ever read it :) The product is great, with very high performance and an easy set up if you are not a newbie in the marketing automation space. However:
- the prices have gone up consistently without a serious improvement in features
-despite their position in the market, their integration with woocommerce requires manual coding when it comes to syncing anything different than standard order statuses. In our case, it often happens with Woocomerce subscriptions. This does not mean that you cannot achieve a perfect sync of your ecommerce data, only that the time and testing required would substantially increase the price for our end clients (agency here). This is why whenever there is any custom woocommerce integration to deal with we tend not to advice for Active Campaign.

Pros:

The automation management system is really one of the best on the market. As mentioned, you might have to struggle for deep, manual integration if you have specific ecommerce needs (i.e. subscription products whose membership status needs to trigger actions in the automations) but a part from that their approach is still the best on the market for that, you even have an automation map to keep track of how automations connect to each other.

Cons:

Right now definitely a) the cost: there is a lot of fresher solutions that come for a fraction of AC's licence cost and perform as much as good, if you are willing to close an eye on usability and some specific features. b) data export: AC tries to discourage your migration to other platforms. I.e.: if you want to export all your contacts with the information of the lists they are in, you will have to export each list separately. Also, you can't export ecommerce data together with the contacts, you will need to resync your new platform with your ecommere