Smartsheet Reviews

4.5 (2,339) Write a Review!

About Smartsheet

Smartsheet is an online work execution platform empowering organizations of all sizes to plan, manage, automate, and report on work.

Learn more about Smartsheet

Pros:

Dashboards can be a nice way to have an overview with links to different sheets if you have a project with several documents, and are willing to spend the extra time and money to set it up.

Cons:

It's also sometimes difficult to tell where user error plays a role in mathematic mistakes. I'd like to see more effort put into these areas.

Smartsheet ratings

8.4/10

Smartsheet has an overall rating of 4.5 out 5 stars based on 2,339 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Smartsheet before?

Filter reviews (2,339)

Judy N.
Judy N.
DEBT RECOVERY OFFICER in Singapore
Financial Services, 51-200 Employees

" Remote Control Access Management System "

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

Ease of deployment and usability. Scheduling and Rescheduling of tasks capabilities. Centralization of teams. Maximum team productivity. Instant online messaging and chatting. Capabilities of projects budgeting and planning. Simple setups and plugins.

Cons:

My organisation and I have to complain since implementation.

Jessica D.
Jessica D.
Game Programmer in US

It's simple to monitor progress and simultaneously work on a project

4.0 last month New

Comments: Implementation and usability simplicity. Tasks can be scheduled and rescheduled. Organization of teams at one place. Achieving the best possible results as a team. Instant messaging and online talking through the internet. Project budgeting and planning capabilities. Plugins and configurations are easy to use.

Pros:

This app's ease of use and ability to manage projects and send updates are fantastic. Easily adjustable and a lifesaver when it comes to streamlining the way work gets done and keeping track of individual tasks. It is a more business-oriented variant of the other spreadsheet applications. Templates might also be useful.

Cons:

My wish is that reminders and automatic emails based on task management/workflow would be sent. It has been a while since I used this, so things may have changed. This would be a significant advancement in the software's capabilities.

Product Owner in Australia

Smartsheet, a project management tool!

Comments: Overall, Smartsheet was a good option while overall project tracking and management. It helps us to manage the budget and keep records of expenses. It also assisted in KPIs management for the teams.

Pros:

It is easy to manage the timeline, milestone tracking, budget and expense tracking. When it comes to reporting, it is way more classy than any other tool in the market. We can select and show data from different sheets to represent. Smartsheet help different teams collaborate, manage, and report on the project(s) in real-time.

Cons:

While creating tasks, it is not that interactive like other competitors in the market. Not that much friendly to manage and track tasks and bugs.

Melissa H.
Melissa H.
Game Developer in US
Computer Software, 1,001-5,000 Employees

Keeps us on track with our projects

4.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: People who already know Excel will like the ease with which they can get started, but if they're willing to dive further, they'll find many more useful advanced capabilities like automation. It has a lot of power. The preconfigured templates are excellent for getting you up and running quickly. The forms are simple to create and distribute. There is a significant amount of manual labor eliminated by the workflow automation. The design of the dashboards is superb.

Pros:

Using Smartsheets is the best way for me to keep track of my progress, interact with my clients, and make my work visible to my boss. Tracking progress and keeping track of projects and todos has been a big help to me with the aid of Smartsheet. Increasing the level of transparency for the company's top brass as well as its customers.

Cons:

There isn't anything I don't like about Smartsheet at this stage in our journey. We've only scratched the surface of what Smartsheet can achieve for our teams, but the value and efficiency it's provided us go well beyond what a shared spreadsheet or file could ever provide.

Kathy H.
Vendor Income Expert in US
Retail, 10,000+ Employees

Smart Technology

4.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: Smartsheet definitely is very smart! It's a very powerful collaboration tool. You can customize forms to send to other. You can set up notification/reminders to others. However, Smartsheet is not so user-friendly. It's an intricate system that takes time to learn. However, once you take the time to learn it, you'll love it!!!

Pros:

In my line of work, I have to send forms to vendors. They submit the terms that they agree with Target. I also have to document their terms. I love that it's so easy to customize forms in Smartsheet. Vendors and key partners also really like the looks of Smartsheet forms too. I also like that Smartsheet organized data from submission forms into a nice master grid. Another functionality that I love is the workflow automation. I'm able to set notification and reminder on when key partners need to approve vendor forms in Smartsheet.

Cons:

Smartsheet provide a very nice, clean form for vendor to submit their terms. However, there is no function to send a copy of the SAME form once the form had been submitted. When vendor sask me to send the a copy of the forms they submitted, Smartsheet isn't able to generate the form in the original format. Smartsheet just generate a simple grid of the submitted data/terms. It would nice if Smartsheet can generate the submitted form in the SAME/original format of the form that I created in Smartsheet.

Shayla B.
Shayla B.
Human Resources Specialist in US
Internet, 1,001-5,000 Employees

Customizable and quite useful for process management

4.0 last month New

Comments: There are many administrative duties that SmartSheets can handle for you, thanks to its workflow functionality, intake form, and progress tracking. Using this tool for a long time, I've come to rely on it as a way to keep track of my work and ensure that I don't miss any critical details.

Pros:

In terms of project planning, tracking, and monitoring, this may be the program I use the most in my day job. The ability to include process automations directly into spreadsheets is fantastic. This app's ease of use and ability to manage projects and send updates is fantastic.

Cons:

It's tough for me to use an external Excel file as a smartsheet reference, which is occasionally necessary in my line of work. Even though I haven't used it in a while, I'd want to see reminders and automatic emails delivered depending on the task management and process that I use.

Stephanie P.
Office Manager in US
Construction, 201-500 Employees

Smartsheet is SO HELPFUL!!!

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Comments: Overall this is one of the best programs we brought on. We have so many different uses for it! It is a valuable tool for our company and gives us the ability to work across different departments!!!

Pros:

This software is so beneficial to our company. We have different divisions that work out of different offices and Smartsheet is PERFECT for us to share valuable data about jobs. We even set up Safety Inspections, Employee Certificates, and MORE!! I love that I can set up reminders and have Smartsheet email me when I need to renew a certificate or follow up on a job.

Cons:

I doesn't work great with Excel, but we make it work. And copy and paste between sheets doesn't work.

Kartik G.
Staff Engineer in US
Food & Beverages, 1,001-5,000 Employees

Project/Program Management Game Changer !

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Its been a great experience working with smartsheets. Love the customizable functionality where one can add or remove functionalities as per the need. Easy to track progress and work on task simultaneously. Great for setting up automation tool and a secure software so you don't have to worry about cyber security anymore .

Pros:

Smartsheet has been a game changer and has been successful in offsetting multiple software and tools all at once due to its versatility and easy of use as the perfect project management/program management tool. Its a great tool to have in your pocket if you are in project/program management. Collaboration cross-functionally is improved tremendously with smart sheets and its functions. The spreadsheet based system is easy to learn and adapt.

Cons:

Would like to see more visual based project management tools like kanban, timeline views etc. Activity log could be improved.

Brandon B.
Consultant in US
Financial Services, 11-50 Employees

Smartsheet is an easy, cloud-based solution to managing your company

Comments: I was impressed with Smartsheet since the first time I was introduced. It made tracking progress very easy. Our team had no problem getting up to speed very quickly.

Pros:

Since it is cloud-based, it's extremely easy to allow the team to see everything in real time. There are no excuses anymore for team members who say they don't know what is going on.

Cons:

I know what the software is intended to do, so I can't say I like something least. Of course, there is a cost to it, but it's reasonable for what you get.

Ulas D.
Network Navigator in Turkey
Biotechnology, 201-500 Employees

Good for task management with external stakeholders

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: It is great to trqck projects with external stakeholders. We’ve been usinf this software for more than 5 years and still using. After the agile transformation we helped company to implemnt and it was very easy.

Pros:

It is easy to track projects and pipeline at the same time. You are able to allocate tasks to the external stakeholders.

Cons:

Not full integration with google sheets and/or excel.

Angel R.
ELV Presales Engineer in Jordan

We ensure the preparation of workflow charts accurately with high flexibility in follow-up.

5.0 last month New

Comments: Smartsheet has simplified the concept of project management for our team members, and everyone is interacting with the work programs that Smartsheet can collaborate on. We have benefited greatly from the automation that keeps all histories constantly updated. With Smartsheet, workflow was accurately prepared and tracked, and we were able to quickly discover troubled tasks and find solutions to them.

Pros:

I like in Smartsheet the ease that it gives us when setting work schedules, and also the automatic update of the start and end dates of activities, and it is equipped with several views, enabling you to get a distinct view of the work programs. Through the project dashboard, Smartsheet enables you to know all the information you need and also enables each member of the team to know the tasks to be followed up and when they will be closed. Smartsheet provides many collaborative features that enable all team members to share updates, and also send notifications to team members that show what tasks have been modified and who is responsible for them. One of the features of Smartsheet is also to prepare forms and send them easily to a specific team member or from outside the team, requesting specific data and information, and the ease of receiving a response to them and including them within the project updates. I value the means of communication that keeps all team members in constant contact, saves them a lot of time, and ensures that all tasks are kept under constant supervision. With Smartsheet, we ensure that all project events are archived, in addition to the attachments that were included by team members during updates, and it is also distinguished that we can return to them at any time to make sure of any information we need.

Cons:

Smartsheet is a very intuitive tool and all the tools are clear and easy to use, and I didn't find any dislikes with it. As for the mobile application, it needs more improvements to be able to perform more functions with it.

Nour A.
Structural Engineer in Jordan
Construction, 10,000+ Employees

the most effective tool for coordinating team efforts and keeping track of projects

Comments: Smartsheet For anyone who wants to apply project management practically and scientifically he must invest in this application, as the formation of a work team that adopts the approach of cooperation and information sharing to achieve the goals will have a significant impact on the establishment of that organization and achieving impressive results.

Pros:

Smartsheet is an application with innovative ideas and advanced project management methodologies. The program assists organizations in completing projects by keeping all members of the organization informed of project updates, allowing them to accomplish assignments and activities on time. And it's all done in a straightforward technique that everyone can use. After everyone completes the updates, project management, and stakeholders will be able to extract status reports and determine if the work is progressing ahead or behind schedule. Many hours were saved by eliminating meetings and interviews to learn something new or update the work schedule, where everyone may share presentations and live chat with all members. With Smartsheet, everyone knows their assignments, deadlines, and most importantly, the reality of the project work. Smartsheet addressed the requirement to locate an integrated project archive that comprised all phases and to which it was returned, especially if a claim or time extension request was required, saving a lot of time and work.

Cons:

There is nothing impractical in the Smartsheet, it is easy to use, it has a great interface, all the commands are well-defined.

Mohamed E.
Mohamed E.
Compliance Analyst in Egypt
Banking, 501-1,000 Employees

The best workflow Automated tool

Comments: Overall experience with smartsheet is amazing it saves alot of time for me and my team as now there are specific users responsible for submitting sales tickets for new vendors and once they make it an automated mail send to the reviewers for reviewing and once they finish it another automated mail send to the Manager for approval and after final approval there's mail sent to all partners in the ticket having the approval of this request or rejection and reason of approval or rejection, all of this is done automatically with recorded workflow which is amazing tool

Pros:

The amazing features in smart sheet are many but we can say that automated mails for specific un completed tasks and the workflow for creating automatic mails send to specific users that tasks had assigned to them automatically is fantastic, as no need to see the new tasks and assign it manually, once the ticket created it will be assigned by default according to the workflow ro the specified mentioned users

Cons:

I consider Smart sheet one of the best tools in last 2 years which related to ticketing and analytical purposes however if the data in the sheet increased this may lead to hanging and taking too much time in reloading however it needs high internet connection speed for stability and good performance

Omar O.
Director of IT in US
Food & Beverages, 51-200 Employees

Smartsheets for everyday management

Comments: To me, the best combination of the ease of use and familiarity of a spreadsheet with the complexity of a project management tool. Very satisfied

Pros:

The tool is more than a project management tool. I use it to manage my department's budget, collaborate with internal and external team members. I like that I can access it from anywhere I am

Cons:

Could use some of the more advanced functionality like automatically keeping track of KPIs such as Earned Value, schedule variance, etc. I would like it if I could "play" with effort vs duration without affecting the main baseline until I am ready and obviously, I would like to keep history of baseline changes

Paul W.
Director of IT & Project Management in US
Telecommunications, 2-10 Employees

Take the Giant Step Up from Excel!

Comments: It significantly improved and increased our efficiency and effectiveness in order and project management. This is our second year of our subscripition and we don't see any reason to change to anything else for what we have to do.

Pros:

Many are using MS Excel to track projects and orders... If this is your world, then you have to try out Smartsheet! Excel like User Interface that does a whole lot more. Schedule reminders, automate tasks, work flow, and the list goes on... and yet, the with the straightforward simplicity of a familiar EXCEL like environment. Other Project Management tools are great, but for those of us that like the EXCEL look and feel, you will find Smartsheet super easy to adopt and you will love the awesome features it provides. Smartsheet also regularly sends out tips on how to improve your processes and ideas on how to use it in many other ways.

Cons:

When compared to some of the other solutions like Trello, BaseCamp or Asana, Smartsheet may not be as 'flexible' since it adheres to an Excel like user interface. Maybe this is because of my lack of knowledge in all aspects of Smartsheet's features? Overall, there's not much I don't like about Smartsheet for the way me and my team has to use it.

Michael B.
Training Manager in US
Education Management, 10,000+ Employees

SmartSheet is a robust cloud-based project management system

Comments: We have been able to bring huge teams together with so much more ease by using SmartSheet. People of all skill sets can leverage the tracking tools available, making it easy for any PM to track their project(s).

Pros:

Easy to integrate, just log in and go. It's so easy that anyone can use the system - not much training is required. SmartSheet's online community of job aids, training items, etc. is fantastic and robust - and gets you through every issue from small to advanced, if needed - and if not, you can reach out to a wonderful support team. This product brings together all your team members, especially in this remote Covid-19 world. You'll love using SmartSheet - it's SO much better than desktop-based PM solutions.

Cons:

There is a learning curve due to the fact there are slight differences in using SmartSheet vs. what you might be used to already. But, that's really it - there are some things it just can't do - and other things that require a lot of setup and tweaking - but they're worth it - if you have the right project for it!

Kevin w N.
Sr. Consultant in US
Banking, 2-10 Employees

Smartsheet Viepoint from Power Excel User

Comments: Overall experience has been terrific for project management and collaboration.

Pros:

Love workflow capabilities, automations, ability to designate column types, column types that allow multiple selections (not available in Excel data validation), collaboration, ability to immediately see cell changes, ability to track cell changes via cell history.

Cons:

Lack of worksheet tabbing often means sheets have way too many columns than I prefer (makes navigation unwieldy). I use the product a lot to track descriptive/narrative changes to cells; while it's easy to see a cell that has been changed based on an update request, and the history of the before and after, it would be very beneficial to be able to see the changes in change-tracking mode like Word such that edits are more readily visible. While I like the ability to designate columns by type, for example a checkbox column, there are times when I'd like to be able to designate only a range of cells in a column as a certain type, then be able to use a different type in the rest of the column.

Shannon Y.
Project Manager in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 501-1,000 Employees

Smartsheet is like Excel & PowerPoint had a child

Pros:

Smartsheet is a great option for middle of the road users that don't need the powerhouse complexity of excel, but need more standardization and features to organize tasks than simple task management like Trello. Its user friendly and has the capability to move data from one team to another through automations, reports, messaging, and data display. The more users, the data, or the moving parts the more difficult Smartsheet is to use, but in my experience most people don't run into those complexities.

Cons:

Smartsheet is new compared to a lot of other project management software and they're developing new features all the time. In some ways this is wonderful because they take customer feedback seriously and implement changes relatively quickly. However, I feel that it doesn't quite know what its going to be yet and there are limitations around data display that require time consuming work arounds or out of the box thinking. For example. I can aggregate data into a report but I can't display portions of a report on a dashboard in a chart. There are pivot table add ons that are not as simple as say an excel pivot so I essentially have to make my own pivot using formulas to chart data. It works, but its round-about and features that might improve this process are extra.

Erika M.
Director of Digital Product Development in US
E-Learning, 51-200 Employees

I chose this and love it

Pros:

The ability to share sheets and collaborate is absolutely essential between myself and my teams. I like that all of the Smartsheets that I have access to can be organized into folders for easy retrieval and love the ability to pin sheets or go to the most recently accessed to be able to easily find the one I'm looking for. They also often introduce new features, which is great. Also, the automation tools, like the ability to notify someone when a row or field changes, is absolutely key with the way we do business to ensure that everyone is always on the same page.

Cons:

This is nit-picky, but I do not like setting up rules for a sheet, and then the email that is sent to people looks like it is sent from "me." I would rather have the email come from Smartsheet instead my email address because in many cases I set up the rules for others and it appears that I am emailing them about it but that is not the case.

Derek W.
Project Manager in US
Construction, 51-200 Employees

Smartsheet: The only reason I have time for vacation

Comments: We have solved a plethora of project schedule tracking needs, paired with a system to house our files and notes with a meaningful and useful structure. I use Smartsheet for a 1000 different reasons, and hope that new tools and features keep getting added to my toolbox.

Pros:

My favorite tool in Smartsheet would have to be a combination use of automated reminders, overdue milestone reports, assigning staff to tasks, and running detailed reports to check on my team's current progress. Paired with cross sheet cell linking, index/match where needed, and Datamesh when running large scale reporting when conditional formatting may be needed is a bundle of brilliance. Simply a great batch of tools for the job.

Cons:

No file renaming option. Limited sheet summary report functionality. Limited batch update tools to revise and align current project sheets. Lack of permission settings without additional purchased feature packages.

Jonathan B.
Preconstruction Manager in US
Construction, 11-50 Employees

Smartsheet for Homebuilding company

Comments: Customer service is really amazing.

Pros:

I love the ability to create tasks and basically create as many filters as I want/need. The new dashboard feature is really nice. I use it for our design requests, precon schedule and we are currently working on using it in our construction schedule. Some slight bugs and limitations but overall working well.

Cons:

The calendar apps is just awful. Don't recommend using it. Very limited ability. I wish they would just make tweak the calendar view slightly. Need the ability to show multi columns on calendar date. Also would be nice to display calendar view on a dashboard without publishing it. That on works horribly on the mobile version. We have a lot of field guys and the mobile version is not the best for viewing stuff.

Nick A.
Nick A.
Managing Director in UK
Furniture, 11-50 Employees

A flexible tool only limited by your imagination and ability with formulae

Comments: Smartsheet has been transformational for our business. As a small bespoke kitchen manufacturer (21 staff) we have some industry specific software for design and quoting, but most out of the box ERP software doesn't fit. We don't have an IT department so anything we use needs to be robust, and my background in programming has enabled us to implement some nifty systems using Smartsheet, but without the hassle of actually writing and then maintaining our own programs. Excel just doesn't compare, and is not cloud native so just doesn't work so well even in Office 365. We genuinely cannot live without it.

Pros:

Cloud based - available everywhere to everyone Flexibility - it's not only a project management tool, it can do most things that Excel can do, but often better. Specifically column formulae are a fantastic recent addition that enables sheets to become almost unbreakable

Cons:

Nothing major. There are some minor gripes: - Slack integration doesn't allow tagging of individuals, and cannot allow a variable to determine which channel to send the message to - Cannot yet control heirarchy with formulae, I hope this function will come eventually

Megan C.
Megan C.
Producer, Owner in US
Insurance, 2-10 Employees

Critical in daily management

Comments: I absolutely love the software and the company. The system meets our needs and is flexible when we need to make adjustments. While the cost is fairly high to start up, annually it is worth the cost, as it streamlines our processes and allows us to be more efficient.

Pros:

This is the tool we use every day, every hour, to track all of our enrollments and clients. Our team monitors enrollments and other CRM tools don't give us the flexibility to track multiple events and data points. It's Excel but on steroids with multiple functions and features. We're using it more and more every day for reporting up to our management team on progress for our client events.

Cons:

I'm not so good at the formulaic side of things and making sheets talk to each other, or building a dashboard, is not an intuitive process. There are not step by step instructions or visuals which is something I need personally. It's a lot of trial and error in getting things set up. When I first started, it was very expensive to work with someone who helped build the infrastructure base and looking back there are many things I'd have done differently if I'd understood it a little better. A lot of the consultation time was wasted in trying to get the person to understand what we were trying to achieve.

Michaela F.
Creator & Educator in Czechia
Arts & Crafts, Self Employed

The Software That Helps Me Create

Pros:

I use Smartsheet for a wide variety of projects that are so different in nature it's stunning it can all be done on one platform. I have one sheet for a list of plants I want to buy for my garden, complete with growing conditions and pictures. It does miracles as I stand in a gardening store wondering about the right varieties. I have another for managing my freelance work, budgets, timelines, tasks. Another sheet is a massive collection of ideas for my video channel and blog posts. Then there is the sheet with information about art prints and products I sell - sizes, prices, thumnails. I also organized my husband's secret Birthday party using a contact-based Smartsheet shared with accomplices. We went to our favorite town for "a trip" just to keep meeting over twenty friends from 4 countries who secretly arrived as well. Oh, and did I say that I'm writing a book using a Smartsheet? An unlikely use, given that it's not a text editor, but my chapter segments are short and the key is in organizing them into the right sequence, so, they ended up as cells in a spreadsheet too. The way Smartsheet allows me to attach files, images, notes and comments but still keep it all on the same line is fantastic. It helps me think. The was a mind map opens our brain to possibilities and ideas, Smartsheet nails them down. I use it every time I need to get a sense of structure and organization. It's become my go-to tool for making stuff happen.

Cons:

I don't like the fact that I can't easily copy and paste cells from Excel. I don't like to import entire files. Sometimes I just need a section of a sheet to be added. Even if the paste wouldn't be perfect, it should be possible to paste from an Excel sheet or a simple text document where each line would appear in the next row.

Megan B.
Supervisor, Medical Device Engineering in US
Medical Devices, 5,001-10,000 Employees

Really great product from a really great company

Comments: Smartsheet has been a really great company to work with overall. The customer service team is absolutely wonderful. They're super attentive and very knowledgeable. The training resources that Smartsheet provides are also exceptional. Any time I'm trying to figure out something new, it's very easy to find training materials on how to do it and they're very clear and easy to follow. We've been able to make a huge improvement in how we organize and communicate a lot of our work in our department specifically and across the business because of Smartsheet.

Pros:

I love how easy it is to collaborate and share information with Smartsheet. With the different permission levels and how easy it was to get our whole company set up with Smartsheet, it has made so much of our project work so much easier and has enabled us to keep all relevant teams, and even just interested parties, up to speed on all that we have going on.

Cons:

The one feature that I do wish would be added would be a visual timeline feature like MSP has. A lot of times our executive management team would like to see a simplified timeline with key milestones, but in order to do that with Smartsheet, we have to transfer things into PPT Timeline, which isn't impossible, it's just an added step that is a little inconvenient.