15 years helping Irish businesses

About Smartsheet

Smartsheet is an online work execution platform empowering organizations of all sizes to plan, manage, automate, and report on work.

Learn more about Smartsheet

Pros:

Cons:

It's also sometimes difficult to tell where user error plays a role in mathematic mistakes. I'd like to see more effort put into these areas.

Smartsheet ratings

4.4

8.4/10

Smartsheet has an overall rating of 4.5 out 5 stars based on 3,264 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Smartsheet before?

Filter reviews (3,264)

Grace
Grace
Technical Support Specialist in Russia
Information Technology & Services, 501–1,000 Employees

Great Different IT Projects Management System.

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Data analytics creation and the easy project collaboration and file sharing Smartsheet is excellent and amazing on workflow easy management.

Pros:

Smartsheet has effective and reliable for task management and on project scheduling and also documentation and reporting this platform is cost effective and easy to use.

Cons:

The features are powerful and easy implementation and from my opinion no dislike for this product to underline.

Gianluca
Finance Director in US

Smartsheet: The Powerful Approach for Expense Management

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: Smartsheet is impressive, and it brings a focused option in managing all projects and expenses.
Besides, Smartsheet has accumulative approach in coordinating different operational needs.

Pros:

Smartsheet has proper project management solutions, and it saves on costs that businesses run.Further, Smartsheet helps organize costs and estimates, and this resolves the issue of overspending.

Cons:

Smartsheet is collective in managing the issue of overspending, and no dislike encountered so far.

Patrick
Procurement in US

Solid software for quick and easy spreadsheets & Gantt charts

Comments: While I prefer Smartsheet for Gantt charts, or quick and simple spreadsheets due to its ease of use, I have been disappointed with all of the other marketed features, and would recommend Google Sheets in general, since it is similarly collaborative, has better options for in-depth formulas, customizing of sheets and automated emailing with query's and G-script, and is free.

Pros:

Smartsheet is my preferred software for Gantt charts, and for quick & simple spreadsheets. The formatting features are especially effective, such as easy indenting and quick checkbox options that can be used with formulas. Gantt charts on Smartsheet are quick and intuitive with all the options I would like to have. Dashboards can be a nice way to have an overview with links to different sheets if you have a project with several documents, and are willing to spend the extra time and money to set it up.

Cons:

The big Con with Smartsheet is that it lacks the in-depth features of similar spreadsheet software that is also usually freely available. Conditional formatting the way you would like it to work can take a surprisingly long time, as it can take many conditions (often one per column per action) to accomplish what you would think would take a handful. Automatic email sending from sheets sounds great but is still not very fleshed out, and options are pretty limited. Complex formulas usually need to be done in several hidden columns or they can end up taking large paragraphs of hard-to-edit text and numbers due to lack of formula options. This can also make complicated spreadsheets pretty slow. Bugs occur infrequently, but make me prefer to double check important sheets.

Tyler
Manager in US
Apparel & Fashion, 2–10 Employees

No frills but high power

Comments: We really enjoy using smartsheet because it makes things simple for us. We like that we have a central place for tasks/projects, can easily assign them across our team, and can go back and see how those tasks/projects went. It's better than working out of multiple spreadsheets and can tie together different aspect of our business. You can get more out of it if you put the time in to build company specific modules and then update said modules as needed. For the price, it's hard to beat!

Pros:

We get a ton of use inside smartsheet. Our primary use is to document tasks and projects inside one program. Smartsheet allows us to do this, track said items, and easily communicate across the company.

Cons:

I would not say we have any high cons per say, but if you require more complicated or intricate uses from a task/project management software, you'd be better suited looking at more expensive or higher frills programs.

Jon
Chief Executive Officer in US
Construction, 11–50 Employees

Very powerful team collaboration and project management

5.0 last month New

Comments: Very powerful collaboration tool. I highly recommend this system. Excel on steroids. This was game-changing software for our company.

Pros:

This was implemented by our Senior Planner. She was experienced with this system. It took the jobs of almost two full time employees and streamlined it down to one. It has been phenomenal at taking purchasing requests from 10 sales reps and over 300 vendors and communicate this down to a simple system for our Planner.

Cons:

Definitely a learning curve for sure. I would highly suggest picking very talented staff for training and understanding how this system can be used.

Ian
Ian
system technique in US
Retail, 10,000+ Employees

better planned project management

4.0 3 weeks ago New

Pros:

Having the follow-up of each task is the best function because it allows me in real time to visualize the progress that is being achieved with each document or task, the work administration makes it easier to do it together with my work team by having a chat in real time to communicate and support us when needed. Its initial configuration is easy to implement with the help of support that is needed to clarify doubts that arise during configuration

Cons:

There is no serious problem that has occurred, it always works perfectly and when there are updates they are easy to implement and get everything back in order

Lisa
Director of Customer Development in US
Information Technology & Services, 51–200 Employees

Great Collaboration Tool

4.0 last month New

Pros:

I really enjoy the feature of being able to be working in the same document as other colleagues. Many of our team members work remote and having the ability to be in a document making updates or changes at the same time is a huge time saver! I can also see the status of projects and important deadlines.

Cons:

I really like Smartsheet but when I was first introduced to it, I had a bit of a learning curve to get over. It wasn't very intuitive and took some time to learn but my team members helped me and now that I use it daily, I am very comfortable.

Menatalla
Menatalla
Account manger in United Arab Emirates
Construction, 201–500 Employees

Smart sheet for successful business management

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: This program is similar to the idea of ​​Microsoft Excel, but if this program has been expanded, I can expand the rows or reduce the size of the sheet, and I can sort the important according to the last, and I can also create data tables that contain dates.

Pros:

It completes project timelines, documents, calendars and tasks

Cons:

Still now no bad comments, just customer service

Yunus Emre
Yunus Emre
Audit Assistant in Poland
Financial Services, 10,000+ Employees

Good Way to Work as a Team

Comments: I would recommend the product for the teams from small size groups to big scale of companies.

Pros:

The product has integration with a lot of platforms such as Workspace, Salesforce and Office. It could work in a Team from small numbers of groups to big companies.

Cons:

The product might get complex when it comes to work with large scale sheets. Advanced features updates are also taking time.

Pinang
Pinang
Production Staff in Philippines
Wholesale, 11–50 Employees

Great application fo time management!

4.0 last month New

Comments: Good application as it is easy to use and great way to save your time. It is also good for managing a project.

Pros:

Very useful application as it has a lot of templates to be used and you can customize on your own. the calendar feature is also helpful to track any upcoming events.

Cons:

some features are limited so better add more features for better experience of users.

Jordan
Director of Technology in US
Financial Services, 51–200 Employees

Versatile Project Management Tool

Comments: We use Smartsheet in lots of ways -- from spinning up dashboards to show our operations teams how they're doing on any given day to managing data transfers from sales to operations to crafting project plans for implementations to tracking survey responses when projects are completed. It's an incredibly versatile tool that, with a little creativity, can produce amazing results.

Pros:

I love how accessible and customizable the product is. We're able to make it do so much to integrate various departments and help work flow across the organization.

Cons:

Some of the features aren't carried from sheet to sheet when you save as a Template or save a project as "new", and having to reconfigure alert rules can be time consuming.

Nick
QA Coordinator in US
Consumer Services, 51–200 Employees

Quick Spreadsheets that allow for collaboration

Comments: I solve the problem of tracking how my employees profit on many small profit/small margin projects. This allows me to see who is struggling the most and who is not. My team specifically focuses on education, hospitals, and non-profits. So maintaining margins to not lose any money is important. I wrote up a story about it here: https://community.smartsheet.com/discussion/example-advanced-smartsheet-reporting-interconnectivity I've pulled off absolutely amazing things. I'm willing to go into detail and share more of what we were able to accomplish. Many of Smartsheet's examples do not solve business problems, but they do help us learn how to solve our own!

Pros:

I absolutely love how quick and easy it is to use Smartsheet. The formulas have great documentation and it helps tremendously when trying to learn and accomplish new tasks. You can pull off amazing things if you sit down and build it. I was able to build a completely automated revenue and labor estimator that shows me how profitable each member of my team is. Many of the applications we built, the community was clueless how to build it. We were able to accomplish some very unique dashboards & spreadsheets that make our lives easier. I can now make business decisions on a whim, without having to spend hours of research about the effect of one decision on our numbers.

Cons:

I dislike how many features such as the dynamic view or the workspace deployment feature is locked behind an expensive addon. And when inquiring about customer service we were told it "isn't" a fit for us. But yet, Smartsheet cannot give us a demo to experiment or test them out? Smartsheet is nickle and diming things a lot. Smartsheet is >not< small business friendly. It is really a shame because these tools are absolutely 100% amazing. It also surprises me how little the community interactions are. There are many great suggestions for features that are standard in Excel and Google Sheets, that Smartsheet blandly ignored for years, and sometimes says "coming soon" and years later we still don't have it.

Andrea
Director of Programs in US
Marketing & Advertising, 11–50 Employees

Best thing since sliced bread

Comments: This software makes everything we do so streamlined and easy. We literally load all of our projects into smartsheet so that we can all manage them. I don't think that I could do my job as efficiently without it. There is s certain project we do once a year where we update pricing on all website items with all of our suppliers. Being able to keep this data in SS, then send our suppliers update requests to load in the data has been a life saver! Keeping track of work along with managing the project has become a breeze.

Pros:

The thing I like the most is the transparency or the collaboration. To be able to easily see what others are doing and manage them together, set reminders and send update requests is what makes our company run well.

Cons:

I think there have been a few times that we have maxed out on number of lines. I don't know why that there is a throttle there, but that's probably my only complaint is that some of our sheets get large and max out!

Renee
Manager in US
Real Estate, 201–500 Employees

Smartsheet for the win

Comments: The initial setup of some of my Smartsheets was cumbersome and time consuming. HOWEVER, it was well worth it. Now that I know how to navigate around, it does not take as long to get a Smartsheet up and running. I enjoy setting up new Smartsheet projects and teaching others how to use or navigate around the project. I literally learn something new everyday.

Pros:

Because I use this software on a daily basis, I need to be able to navigate around fairly quickly. For the most part, I am able to do this. When I do have a question or can't figure out how to do something, the search function either in the Solution Center or a search in Google often produce great results. And if if doesn't, customer service is superb and I am able to get pretty close to an immediate response or help. I do like how I can create a Dashboard that can house any type of information from links to other Smartsheets, forms, other websites, the list is endless. It helps bring projects and/or information together in one area that is easy to navigate through.

Cons:

Although I know this isn't excel, I do wish it had more functionality like excel. With that said, the more I use this program, the more I do love it and am able to maneuver my way around easier.

Megan
Megan
Producer, Owner in US
Insurance, 2–10 Employees

Critical in daily management

Comments: I absolutely love the software and the company. The system meets our needs and is flexible when we need to make adjustments. While the cost is fairly high to start up, annually it is worth the cost, as it streamlines our processes and allows us to be more efficient.

Pros:

This is the tool we use every day, every hour, to track all of our enrollments and clients. Our team monitors enrollments and other CRM tools don't give us the flexibility to track multiple events and data points. It's Excel but on steroids with multiple functions and features. We're using it more and more every day for reporting up to our management team on progress for our client events.

Cons:

I'm not so good at the formulaic side of things and making sheets talk to each other, or building a dashboard, is not an intuitive process. There are not step by step instructions or visuals which is something I need personally. It's a lot of trial and error in getting things set up. When I first started, it was very expensive to work with someone who helped build the infrastructure base and looking back there are many things I'd have done differently if I'd understood it a little better. A lot of the consultation time was wasted in trying to get the person to understand what we were trying to achieve.

Kevin W
Sr. Consultant in US
Banking, 2–10 Employees

Smartsheet Viepoint from Power Excel User

Comments: Overall experience has been terrific for project management and collaboration.

Pros:

Love workflow capabilities, automations, ability to designate column types, column types that allow multiple selections (not available in Excel data validation), collaboration, ability to immediately see cell changes, ability to track cell changes via cell history.

Cons:

Lack of worksheet tabbing often means sheets have way too many columns than I prefer (makes navigation unwieldy). I use the product a lot to track descriptive/narrative changes to cells; while it's easy to see a cell that has been changed based on an update request, and the history of the before and after, it would be very beneficial to be able to see the changes in change-tracking mode like Word such that edits are more readily visible. While I like the ability to designate columns by type, for example a checkbox column, there are times when I'd like to be able to designate only a range of cells in a column as a certain type, then be able to use a different type in the rest of the column.

Kathy
Vendor Income Expert in US
Retail, 10,000+ Employees

Smart Technology

Comments: Smartsheet definitely is very smart! It's a very powerful collaboration tool. You can customize forms to send to other. You can set up notification/reminders to others. However, Smartsheet is not so user-friendly. It's an intricate system that takes time to learn. However, once you take the time to learn it, you'll love it!!!

Pros:

In my line of work, I have to send forms to vendors. They submit the terms that they agree with Target. I also have to document their terms. I love that it's so easy to customize forms in Smartsheet. Vendors and key partners also really like the looks of Smartsheet forms too. I also like that Smartsheet organized data from submission forms into a nice master grid. Another functionality that I love is the workflow automation. I'm able to set notification and reminder on when key partners need to approve vendor forms in Smartsheet.

Cons:

Smartsheet provide a very nice, clean form for vendor to submit their terms. However, there is no function to send a copy of the SAME form once the form had been submitted. When vendor sask me to send the a copy of the forms they submitted, Smartsheet isn't able to generate the form in the original format. Smartsheet just generate a simple grid of the submitted data/terms. It would nice if Smartsheet can generate the submitted form in the SAME/original format of the form that I created in Smartsheet.

Andy
Andy
Technology Planning for Transport Networks in Mexico
Telecommunications, 10,000+ Employees

A must-have tool for project management!

Comments: By being able to check the progress of tasks in detail (confirmation of delays), it was possible to allocate human resources optimally. In a project with a fixed release schedule, it is necessary to move forward efficiently, so I am very grateful to be able to understand this. A convenient editing function that allows multiple people to edit at the same time online and a free sharing setup with no limit to the number of people. A Gantt chart can be created intuitively.

Pros:

It is mainly used for the management of projects that occur frequently in the company. The main tasks of each project and the secondary tasks linked to them can be managed in detail and in a visual and easy-to-understand way, which is useful to understand the progress and bottlenecks of the project. It is nice to see alerts for overdue tasks.Additionally, a lot of templates are available that can be used for any project, which is very helpful.

Cons:

The templates are perfect, but there were many times when I hesitated because I often wondered which template to use in the first place. I thought it would be nice to have a feature that would recommend this template for such a project.

Venita
CEO, Founder in Canada
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed

If you are old school Excel this tool is going to take some getting used to!

Comments: if you are new to Smartsheets and expecting it to be like Excel? Think again! While it may have a similar look and feel, it offers much more and can be confusing to use at first. However, don't worry once you get the hang of it you are going to LOVE this product!

Pros:

SmartSheets is an incredibly powerful tool that offers much more features than Excel. Once you get the hang of it, you'll find that the possibilities are endless. The best part is that there are plenty of online tutorials available to help you learn and become proficient in using SmartSheets. With just a little patience and practice, you'll be a pro in no time!

Cons:

One area where SmartSheets could improve is in providing more consistent and reliable customer support. While there are many online tutorials available, when users encounter issues that require more complex solutions, having responsive and helpful customer support can make all the difference in their experience with the software.

Brandon
Brandon
Sales Specialist in US
Hospital & Health Care, 5,001–10,000 Employees

Our team uses Smartsheet for constant project tracking

Comments: With the SaaS solution Smartsheet, we've been able to build robust, individualized dashboards and perform integrations and data collecting from a single or several databases connected to customer relationship management tools like Jira and Salesforce. The ability to design individualized forms for content filtering has proved invaluable, as has the incorporation of features such as comments, reminders, attachments, and optimizations.

Pros:

Every aspect of our sales activities is immediately managed through Smartsheet. Smartsheet serves as a central hub for all customer data entry for both our in-house and external marketing teams.

Cons:

The customer service has a lot to be desired, with slow response times and ineffectiveness even when dealing with simple issues. There are a variety of aspects that might affect the overall usability, including visibility and user experience.

Furniture, 51–200 Employees

Fantastic Product

Comments: Great customer service. Ever-improving features. 100% cloud so you can collaborate from anywhere with virtually any device (desktop and/or app). Smartsheet has become an indispensable part of how we run our business.

Pros:

Smartsheet is an amazing product and helps keep our whole company on schedule and collaborating in real time. It is really flexible and easy to start using. Once you have used it for a while, you will want to do more and more with it, and there never seems to be a limit to what you can do. They are also constantly adding new helpful features. One that was really useful to me was a kanban view called cardview. But there is also classic spreadsheet view, gannt view, and calendar view. In addition to sheets, you can also run reports off the sheets which filter the data down for particular users or departments. These reports can be editable or read-only. You can also look at your data in real time using dashboards. We have been using Smartsheet for several years now, and we still feel like we are only scratching the surface of its capabilities. Another great feature is that you can have unlimited free collaborators. These people can use the sheets/reports/dashboard and enter data. However, it is only the paid users who can create and maintain the sheets. Over time, you may find more people in your organisation want to be creators, and it is easy to add licenses as needed.

Cons:

There's not much I can say negative about this software. On rare occasions there can be unexpected outages or loss of functionality, but that is very rare indeed. There are sometimes maintenance windows on the weekend which can last up to 4 hours at a time, but these are advised well ahead of time. I think the only business that wouldn't want to use smartsheet is one that operates 24/7. If you are a normal Monday to Friday business, smartsheet will be fine for you.

Steve
Steve
Director of Digital Engagement in US
Nonprofit Organisation Management, 501–1,000 Employees

Enterprise features and pricing mean you can probably find a startup alternative

Comments: I hated it a few years back when I first started using it. The thing that won me over and made me a power user was the interface refresh about a year ago. I then took the Smartsheet training to be certified and that opened my eyes to the power of the tool (and also to the fact that the sheets I hated were users in our company using it very, very WRONG). Anyway, while we do love it, there are a few antiquated things like concurrent editing that are truly broken (Google sheets can do this just fine!) and the recent price increase for our contract means that we are probably moving to another tool.

Pros:

--You can easily switch between different views of the same data, e.g. grid vs. Kanban --Dashboards and reporting are both powerful --Growing number of integrations --Commenting per-row is excellent --Can be used as a simple spreadsheet --Security/permissions are robust and intuitive --Excellent training and certs available --Forms feature is pretty complete for basic stuff --Very extensive formula capabilities, almost like Excel --The "business" pricing tier would actually be quite adequate for my group's needs, vs. the enterprise plan --Nesting/hierarchy of rows can be useful

Cons:

--No in-cell formatting --Awkward multi-user editing, no auto-save, other users keep resetting views --Reporting is difficult, meaning that you have to create separate complex reports instead of just saved views --Not a true database or app builder --Notifications system is wonky, delayed, and hard for new users to tame --Very easy to abuse and misuse, even worse than Excel because you can add in the nesting/hierarchy (we have one user in particular that makes the most gawdawful sheets you've ever seen, partly because of the inherent Smartsheet interface) --Attachments are pretty rough, not easily visible or visual, and no desktop app integrations (e.g. save a file from Word to SmartSheet) --No concept of a "document" or app, only the spreadsheet motif; can't do notes or instructions very easily, for example, so people overload rows for this and that makes reporting even harder when you have to manually select rows --Forms feature not embeddable or graphically complete with formatting to make it look nice --Not clear how you combine formulas and forms without overwriting formulas at the bottom--I haven't figured this out yet even after years of using it --Enterprise pricing is now forcing us to consider alternatives, including lower tiers of Smartsheet

Rob
Clinical Business Analyst in US
Nonprofit Organisation Management, 501–1,000 Employees

We use Smartsheet for Project Management

Comments: As I mentioned, we use Smartsheet extensively for project planning and project management. But we also use it to run a help desk for our Electronic Health Record System. Here the forms feature comes in really handy. Users fill out a form to add tasks to the help desk. We also use it to manage our individual tasks and queues. And our development department is building sheets to track donations and plan promotions. We often export the data and use it to build Tableau reports.

Pros:

Projects are easy to set up with the built in functionality. There are lots of built in templates that you can use. But we have found it most helpful to build our own templates. We really appreciate being able to add dependencies, working and non working days, and duration. Then the start and end dates fill in automatically. We have found that the learning curve is not nearly as steep for Smartsheet as it was for Microsoft Project. Another really helpful feature is being able to use formulas in the Project Plan. Our team schedules our work using a points system. I was able to create formulas that take the number of points for that task and who is assigned to that task to create a point breakdown for each person or team assigned. We then use the linking feature to link the total points for the project, the points accomplished, and the status of the project to a master "Queue" sheet. Smartsheet has special formula values available for children and ancestors of a task. So, we use a simple =Sum(Children()) formula to add up the points. Actually, the formulas end up being more complicated because we can test whether the row has children or not and do different things depending on the test. For instance, when summing the work completed if the task has no children, then the product of the percent complete and points gives us the number of points completed. If the row is a parent, then the formula sums the children.

Cons:

For project planning the resources feature is not as helpful as it could be. The main reason is that if a staff is assigned to a row during a particular time, the resource function assumes that they are 100% allocated for that time. So, if you have three tasks that overlap, the resource allocations shows 300%. We have mitigated that by routinely filling in 30% allocation for each resource. This helps to take into account the fact that a task although it lasts a full week won't take up all the staff's time. One idea I have had recently--but haven't tried yet--is to make a formula that takes the number of points for the task and assigns an appropriate allocation number based on points per week. The other feature that we haven't found useful is the "Critical Path." How the software determines what is on the critical path is a mystery. I'm not sure why it chooses some tasks that have dependencies filled in, but not others that seem to be just as important.

Kirstine
Office Manager in UK
Construction, 2–10 Employees

Great software to create a bespoke solution

Comments: I work for a small construction company who used to keep all their information "in their heads, or on the back of a fag packet"!!! This has revolutionised the way they work and not only stopped them from forgetting things but also given them the ability to look at live costs and income. They now have a dashboard to see the 'big picture', individual Reports to show their own specific projects, an automated transfer of information to accounts when they mark a job as complete, reminders, comments so they can stay up to date with any info added by other people, and so many other little 'life hacks' that make their lives easier. Smartsheet has changed the way we all work immeasurably for the better. I couldn't recommend it more highly.

Pros:

I love the Smartsheet Community who will help you find ways to adapt Smartsheet to suit each individual need you may have. I've been using the software for years and every time I've wanted to use it for something new we've found a way! Sometimes there have been delays due to the capacity not being there YET, but it's easy to submit a Product Enhancement Request. There are updates and innovations ALL THE TIME and while they're not shoved down your throat, there's plenty of support out there if you want it, not only from the Community but also videos and webinars (live or recorded). If you've got the motivation and imagination then I think the possibilities are unlimited, without needing to be a programmer or have any coding knowledge.

Cons:

There's not much I can say that's bad about Smartsheet. I find it slightly difficult that it's very US based and I'm in the UK, but that's true of most comparable software. I'm also not keen on the Learning Centre as it sometimes assumes a level of knowledge that is beyond me and I find it incomprehensible! It's not a problem though as I can easily turn to the Community!

Tanner
Senior Project Manager in US
Airlines/Aviation, 201–500 Employees

Smartsheet is a one-stop solution for many companies

Pros:

Smartsheet allows me to do what I want to do in the way I want to do it. I rarely come across limitations that can't be figured out. When anyone asks me for a new request, I don't have to find crazy work arounds or engage in wild goose chases only to find I can't accomplish the ask. I can quickly and easily give them the views they want, the functionality they want to track their projects specific to their organizations or easily organize their specific chaos. The real-time dynamically updated information makes this tool incredibly powerful for all stakeholders needing to stay up to date without requiring some sort of status update meetings. I also love that their product roadmap comes from community suggestions! I have seen functionality go from a great community suggestion to implemented out of the box functionality. I love that they are improving and adapting just like the people that use their software are!

Cons:

There are very few downsides to Smartsheet. The biggest thing I could tell, and I am reaching, is that other companies used for Project Management such as Monday, Asana, Wrike, Rocketlane, etc. all look really modern and sexy. They all pale in comparison to Smartsheet but they have great color schemes and they look pretty and modern which some companies like more than a truly powerful system like Smartsheet.