15 years helping Irish businesses

About Salesforce Marketing Cloud

Build customer relationships for life with data-first digital marketing

Learn more about Salesforce Marketing Cloud

Salesforce Marketing Cloud ratings

3.8
3.9
4.3
3.8

7.7/10

Salesforce Marketing Cloud has an overall rating of 4.2 out 5 stars based on 494 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Salesforce Marketing Cloud before?

Gamze
Gamze
Data Scientist in Türkiye
Financial Services, 10,000+ Employees

Data Sets Made Easy

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: Overall, one of the greatest tools to manage our leads.

Pros:

I like to go over every data points very easily

Cons:

I do not like the limits on the reports, it's up to 4.

Karthik
AVP Digital Marketing in India
E-Learning, 201–500 Employees

Integrated Marketing Solution

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

CRM and MAP are fully integrated. Ease of integration with ABM platform

Cons:

CMS and In-built Email functionalities are not great

Alternatives Considered: Marketo Sales Connect

Reasons for Choosing Salesforce Marketing Cloud: Integration with ABM platform and poor reporting functions of Zoho

Switched From: Zoho CRM and Zoho Campaigns

Sandra
Marketing Consultant in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, Self Employed

Expensive and cumbersome with little support

Comments: Love what the product is capable of doing. But it takes a significant amount of time and money beyond the cost of the product to set it up and maintain it. I am dissatisfied with the representatives of SF who have zero customer service skills and can’t even answer a question when asked. They are rigid and not willing to work with clients to provide solutions. They just want the contract. I will not be renewing with them.

Pros:

It’s capabilities once it’s configured which takes a significant amount of time and money by hiring outsourced vendors to help set it up. SF offers little or no support and sends links in response to your questions.

Cons:

They sell the product speaking in terms of monthly payments hen switch it to annual payments when you purchase the product. They do what’s in their best interests not the client’s. They sell you products that you don’t need but you won’t figure that out until you learn how to use them and set them up which takes a few months with the help of a consultant that you must pay for separately because it’s nothing included in the price and the products are not intuitive by any means. You will also need at least one employee dedicated to setting it up and maintaining the program. The very consultant that SF recommended that I hire at an extra fee to set up the program told me that I didn’t need six of the accounts that SF insisted I needed. They simply do not care if you ever use the products or are satisfied with the products until it’s time to renew your contracts. There are too many other alternatives from companies that actually care about having a long term relationship who will sell you what you need now and help you build the platform as you grow. SF has no such interest. I will not be renewing with them.

Kayla
CRM Marketing Specialist in US
Higher Education, 10,000+ Employees

Salesforce Marketing Cloud is Superior

Pros:

I love using SFMC! It's actually the biggest reason I have kept my current job as long as I have, because we use this software. I write journeys to send content and use those journeys in complex ways to add folks to a campaign after they have gotten an email or to direct them down a path for a specific plan or program they may have for a more targeted email. Or I used dynamic content in content builder when building emails so folks can get more customized emails. I also can write the ampscript into the emails in content builder. I frequently write data extensions in email studio and put them on automations! I use salesforce marketing cloud hourly at my job and love it! So many capabilities!

Cons:

Not one con, I love using it and train others how to use it!

Elli
Customer Marketing Manager in UK
Computer Software, 501–1,000 Employees

Essential for our marketing efforts.

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Pros:

We use the Marketing cloud every day for our email marketing efforts. We use a platform native to salesforce called Pardot to send out our actual emails, but build the campaigns themselves, whether they be webinar or email, in Salesforce Marketing Cloud. It's super easy to make new campaigns by just cloning old ones with mutual fields so it takes no time at all.

Cons:

It's a pretty comprehensive platform, so it performs a lot of features. This can be overwhelming at first and hard to pick up initially but isn't a con necessarily.

Leisure, Travel & Tourism, 2–10 Employees

Streer clear of Marketing Cloud if you're a small company

Comments: It's 2020 and this product has the UX of the 2000's and a backlog of tech debt and bugs for a premium price. For a small business I'd HIGHLY recommend going with something else. Not only do you pay a PREMIUM price for Marketing Cloud, but you'll also end up spending more time than you should trying to figure out this product. There are "features" that exist, like data conversion on automations, but you'll have to spend time figuring out that they exist so you can e-mail support and request they turn them on, when they should have just been there in the first place.

Pros:

I like that Send Time Optimization was included, this was extra with the previous e-mail marketing product we used.

Cons:

First, we ended up in Google's black hole even when following the plan laid out by our integration partner. That you need an integration partner to get a small business setup should have been a huge red flag, but we thought we were stepping up to a more powerful e-mail product. There are bugs everywhere. Our integration partner had many tips like making sure to unselect an e-mail reselect it and stop and start a trigger to make sure the new e-mail is used, these are things that should be handled by the UX and not tribal knowledge. We used alias in our e-mails to aid in reporting, but sometimes they show up in the report and sometimes it shows the original URL. We opened a ticket and months later it was closed with no resolution, because there's a back end bug in their system that they believed was causing the issue. There's a lot of duplicated functionality that has different features. Want to manage your data extension you can do it in Email Studio or Contact Builder, BUT the features are different between the two. You can only easily add records in one of them so you have to remember which one you can do a specific action in. Their reporting is limited on Journey's and you'll need to extract all the data to do any deep dives. You'll need to use Journey's if you want to use send time optimization or any of the AI logic, so you're guaranteed to have to build your own reporting in your own tools. We needed this to realize we were in the Google black hole.

Marco
IT Expert in US
Consumer Services, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Salesforce Marketing Cloud Has Quality Features

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

Salesforce Marketing Cloud has brilliant features and a friendly customer support team. Salesforce Marketing Cloud has been so amazing.

Cons:

I do not dislike Salesforce Marketing Cloud at all.

Angela
Angela
Owner in US
Retail, Self Employed

Sales force has changed everything for the better!

5.0 last month New

Comments: My over experience was way more than I expected! I plan to stay with SalesForce Marketing Cloud for a long time!

Pros:

With salesforce I’m able to understand my customers unique needs.

Cons:

It was a bit hard to understand it first, but at once I got into it everything just flowed freely. I honestly had no idea how I had a business without it.

Chad
General Manager in US
Building Materials, 2–10 Employees

Great marketing tool

4.0 last week New

Pros:

The ease of using the software and ease of going back on old customers

Cons:

The spam some days is little much. At first a little glitchy with our system

Ipek Nil
Ipek Nil
Sales Marketing Specialits in Türkiye
Environmental Services, 11–50 Employees

Great Tool Though Costly

4.0 last month New

Pros:

Single most amazing CRM system available for email campaigns.

Cons:

This tool unfortunately comes with a huge cost, not only to buy but also to maintain.

Internet, 11–50 Employees

Terrible product, terrible support

Pros:

The personalization options are pretty cool. But when you use them (with AMPscript) the Journey Builder is pretty much useless as Engagement Splits don't work with them.

Cons:

Where to start. - Extremely buggy system. We had multiple issues with the Journey Builder that resulted in a number of our subscribers receiving thousands of emails which put us on the spam list for Gmail. - The Journey Builder is extremely rigid. You have to create new versions if you want to make even the smallest edit. Then you'll likely need to double check every single step because things break super easily. When you update emails that are used in Journeys in Content Builder, you need to go into these Journeys and manually update these emails again to make sure the changes take effect. You can try to solve this with Reference Content but then Engagement Splits don't work because it cannot see the URLs. Same goes for using Dynamic Content. Also, current subscribers in the existing version of a journey cannot be placed into the new version of the journey. Lastly, you can only add subscribers to retargeting audiences but NOT REMOVE them from these retargeting audiences. You'll have to create ANOTHER retargeting audience (for which you have to pay extra) to exclude these in e.g. Facebook. Compare that with a cheap tool like ActiveCampaign and you're just amazed how bad Marketing Cloud is. Especially Journey Builder is the worst app I've ever come across. - The platform is basically not usable without Salesforce CRM. This creates a number of problems, e.g. not being able to simply send a realtime response email when someone fills a form on your website. Also, even though it's the same company, the integration between Salesforce and Marketing Cloud is complex and just basically terrible. - Cloud Pages Smart Capture forms are useless. It doesn't accept people that are already in the data extension that is connected to a particular Smart Capture form but it does not warn you about this in any way. Also, if you use Salesforce as your DoR you can't use Smart Capture forms but are forced to build custom AMPscript code due the ContactID being created in Salesforce (not possible in Marketing Cloud). - As I mentioned above, functions don't work well with each other. This because they just bought a bunch of different companies and tried to tie it together. This also makes it very difficult to navigate as some functions overlap while others are completely incompatible. The system is also very slow. Loading times are not rarely over 10 seconds. This makes working with it daily a true torture. There are numerous other smaller bugs and annoying things that I don't have time for to write down but if I can summerize, if you want your marketing team to be lean, flexible and successful then do yourself a favor and pick any other system.

Bill
Director of Marketing in US
Retail, 51–200 Employees

Marketing Cloud is the optimal integration for our Salesforce-powered website

Comments: We love the integration with our current Salesforce Commerce Cloud website and the ability to track everything within and not worry about dozens of different integrations to accomplish the same thing. Because Salesforce is a larger company, you can expect great support, knowledgeable account managers, and constant improvements.
As with any platform, there are things we'd like for it to be able to do, I'm confident that in time, many of those things will become available. And anything that doesn't, we'll continue to use 3rd party integrations.

Pros:

As with all things SalesForce you can expect nothing but the top level of customer support and options. We currently run a Salesforce website, so the integration is flawless and easy. There's not much additional setup or any big learning curve to start using it. The Marketing Cloud is a great way to easily manage our social media accounts, facebook posting, and email automation solutions. Because this platform is integrated with our website, it's still very easy to have outside vendors and software solutions that integrate with it. An example of that is that we still use Mailchimp to help manage our email channel even though the Marketing Cloud offers an email solution as part of their software.

Cons:

The main disadvantages of using this software are pretty much the same disadvantages of any of the Salesforce platforms and/or integrations. For the uninitiated those are: - Some of the most costly software that accomplishes the same tasks as other platforms - Can be a bit complicated to navigate due to the sheer possibilities + abilities you have using the Salesforce platform. If you understand both the expenses associated with using Salesforce and have people who can either learn it, or teach it, then i'd say there's no other real disadvantages to using it!

Elie Francois
Elie Francois
Computer Engineer in France
Computer Software, 501–1,000 Employees

Great platform with personalization

Pros:

Salesforce Marketing Cloud integrates seamlessly with Salesforce CRM, providing a comprehensive view of customer interactions across multiple channels and offers advanced segmentation and personalization capabilities, allowing businesses to deliver targeted and relevant content to their customers it also provides a comprehensive platform for multi-channel marketing automation, including email, mobile, social media, and web.

Cons:

Can be expensive for small businesses and startups, as it is primarily designed for enterprise-level businesses, it may have limited integrations with other tools.

Jamie
Sr. Assoc. Director, Digital Marketing in US
Primary/Secondary Education, 1,001–5,000 Employees

A heavy hitter, but work to be done in UX

Comments: Despite being somewhat clumsy in real-world use, Marketing Cloud is a powerful, high quality suite for those looking to pursue robust, personalized digital campaigns.

Pros:

This is an outstanding product for 1:1 engagement with an existing audience. We're still somewhat new to it, but are quickly coming up to speed. Best modules are open APIs, Journey Builder (basically pulls the entire suite together to build repeatable workflows), Audience builder (works hand/glove with Journey Builder), and Mobile Studio. It will take time for us to gather enough behavior and other attribute values to really put this to work. But it has plenty of horsepower and data tools and really get us to advanced personalization and performance analysis.

Cons:

The suite is a set of modules cobbled together via the original product (ExactTarget) and new apps purchased by SFDC (e.g., Social Studio, which as Radian 6). This makes it cumbersome to assemble an entire campaign because you're constantly pinging back and forth through different modules (via a tabbed interface) to get things done. It's probably too late now for a truly unified, campaign-based UI, so it will have to do.

Noel
Computer Specialist in Jamaica
Computer & Network Security, Self Employed

My Salesforce Marketing Cloud review 2023

Pros:

For me Salesforce Marketing Cloud has wide range of features and capabilities, including:Email Marketing: enables businesses to create, send, and track email campaigns.Mobile Marketing: enables businesses to create and send SMS and push notifications to customers.Social Media Marketing: enables businesses to manage social media accounts, publish content, and engage with customers.Advertising: enables businesses to create and manage advertising campaigns across multiple channels, including social media, search engines, and display networks.So in a nutshell it has all the bells and whistles, i need for my business.

Cons:

For this Salesforce Marketing Cloud product, here are just some of the some issues i and a few others have. Complexity: Salesforce Marketing Cloud is a sophisticated platform that can be challenging to set up and configure, especially for businesses without prior marketing automation experience.Price: Salesforce Marketing Cloud can be expensive, particularly for small and medium-sized businesses. The cost of the platform can increase rapidly as businesses scale up their marketing activities.Technical Skills: i personally believe to take full advantage of Salesforce Marketing Cloud's capabilities, businesses need to have skilled developers and technical personnel who can customize the platform and integrate it with other systems.User Interface: Some members have found the user interface of Salesforce Marketing Cloud to be outdated and less intuitive compared to other modern marketing automation platforms.Support: Some of us have reported difficulty in getting timely and effective support from Salesforce's customer service team.Limited Reporting: Some users have also reported limited reporting and analytics capabilities compared to other marketing automation platforms.It's worth noting that our criticisms are not universal, and many businesses have found Salesforce Marketing Cloud to be an effective and valuable platform for their marketing activities.

Mason
Mason
Marketing Coordinator
, 11–50 Employees
Used the Software for: Not provided

The worst....

Comments: Going to do a short list here... -No consistent browser compatibility/takes two browsers to send one email: I have to design & preview emails in Chrome but content does not load in guided send box, so I have to send them via Safari, but in Safari content doesn't load in preview tab, so I'm basically sending blindly once I've created the email in Chrome. -Lag time: It can take up to one minute for pages to load within the platform. The platform times out on me at least 3 or 4 times a day when trying to navigate through different pages in the console. -Customer service: Non-existent. The service our account manager has provided has been abysmal. When I tried to communicate these issues they were ignored until I said something on Twitter. He then took them seriously, but to the day, has still never provided me with a resolution, and would not even follow up on progress unless I prompted him by asking where we're at in the process. We also received 3 invoices after paying a massive lump sum, that are apparently due payments on the invoice we've already paid. I've been trying to get ahold of accounting there for a week to no avail. This afternoon I was even transferred to HP (the computer company) when I asked to speak to accounts payable dept. No lie. That really happened. I could go on for hours... but I have to struggle through their platform to get some more emails out for the rest of the day. We're moving platforms next week and I cannot wait. Our annual cost with the new platform will be less than one quarter with Exacttarget. tl;dr version: The UX is terrible, customer service is non-existent, and it's massively overpriced. Look elsewhere - avoid at all costs.

Pros:

You can send emails....

Cons:

Too many to list... Trust me... we tried for over a year. It is not a matter of our email expertise. They are an enterprise, and they treat you like the little man you are comparatively.

Salesforce Response

9 years ago

Hi Mason, We are sorry to hear that you're experiencing these issues, and I’m continuing to escalate with our internal team based on your feedback. Would you be willing to share some screen captures of the issues so that we can send them over to our product team? Thanks, Katie

Renly
Director Marketing in US
Marketing & Advertising, 51–200 Employees

An Amzing Marketing Analytics Solution

Pros:

From lead generation to marketing analytics, Salesforce Marketing Cloud has it all and is easy to use It is affordable and makes email automation, campaign tracking and reporting easy

Cons:

No issues with Salesforce Marketing Cloud as it meets the need

Robert
Boss
Primary/Secondary Education, 2–10 Employees

Great for managers to pull reports - HORRIBLE for salespeople who create teh informationi on which those reports depend.

Comments: As I said, this produces great reports for managers.
And managment is the deparmtnet that ends up making purchases of solutions like this.
Without ever consulting the actual in-the-trenches sales team.
So they buy it for their needs butn not for the needs of their sales reps.
Consequently, the number of meetings increases trying to fiuge re out why sales have dropeed and outbound calls have dropped, etc.
And this takes motre time away from active selling.
Salesforce creates a downward spirtal in sales.

Pros:

It's better than using 3 x 5 index cards

Cons:

Too many boxes to be checked on every single contact attempt that is made. Difficult to use. Extremely slow for a sales rep trying to mak any number of calls. I used to use GOLDMINE and made twice the number of calls daily than I could when I had to use SaleForce. These are very true numbers. easily made 70 - 100 calls a day with Goldmaine. Only able to make about 30-35 tops using Sales Force.

Consumer Goods, Self Employed

Saves Time and Time is Money!

Pros:

As a day salesforce user this makes time management easy. I can respond to emails right in the platform which saves me time. Very advanced system that can do almost everything if you are willing to learn. I found the learning curve to be somewhat of a challenge as the is very unique to any other marketing software but anything in salesforce is unique which is what sets it apart from its competition. Overall the customer reps are helpful and training is endless making this software something that you can alter to work for your needs.

Cons:

This can be costly for smaller companies and can offer many features that may never be used if not implanted or trained properly.

Automotive, 10,000+ Employees

Customer Portal Software

Pros:

We use community cloud to provide information and self-services to our external customers. The tool is very flexible and we are able to create templates for different customer types which allows us to tailor their user interface. With community cloud, the customers are able to login to one application to conduct business with our company. It is also integrated with the other salesforce products which enables all customer data to be stored in salesforce and shared across multiple applications.

Cons:

The username must be formatted as an email. Some of our customers do not have business email addresses. Also, if our customer has implemented salesforce internally or has a salesforce id already with another vendor, they cannot use the same email as their username. When a user attempts to create a username, we have no way of knowing if they already have a salesforce id in another system so we must assume if the username meets all of our criteria and the creation fails that they must have another salesforce id with that username.

Quinn
Sales and Marketing Specialist in Philippines
Information Technology & Services, 51–200 Employees

Easy-to-Use Email Software

Pros:

The drag-and-drop interface of Salesforce Marketing Cloud makes it simple to create emails. This simplifies the process of adding new designs to my email. Furthermore, the ability to change individual content blocks is useful because it means that if I make a mistake, it will not affect the entire email.

Cons:

Although the platform is quite expensive, I do not believe my company is adequately compensated for it. Customer service has been at best mediocre. We've had a number of issues that have taken a long time to resolve, leaving me and my coworkers frustrated and unable to assist.

Margareth
Margareth
Capital Market Specialist in Spain
Market Research, 5,001–10,000 Employees

Efficiently manages inetracciones with clients

Comments: Management of intractions and control of services to clients, a good marketing tool

Pros:

What I like most about this tool is its ease of implementation, this being a good tool to get to know the specific customer we are referring to, it is a system that stores and compiles information to better reach customers and maintain more direct with them

Cons:

I have no criticism or anything negative to contribute because for the functions it has it is one of the most efficient in this type of industry, it is also quite easy to understand and add to business tools

Mark
Resource Development Director
Philanthropy, 11–50 Employees

SalesForce for Nonprofits

Comments: SalesForce has a long learning curve. A rudimentary knowledge of it can take you a long way, but you will not be making full use of it -- especially as a nonprofit, that normally would have limited resources.

Pros:

There are many great features about SalesForce, including the AppExchange. It gives us a lot of flexibility with regards to events, volunteer management and donation recordings. The feature of recording contacts is easy and prominent, unlike other systems where it is hidden.

Cons:

Although it advertises itself with a feature to compose and create newsletters, the feature is not user-friendly and it is awkward to use. It is easy to create text but tough to format. Several apps in the product are repetitive when creating a contact, especially in the Auctions for SalesForce feature.

Emma
Junior Web Developer in US
Marketing & Advertising, 51–200 Employees

Marketing Cloud

Pros:

The best feature about Marketing Cloud is Journey Builder - this allows us to automatically schedule sends, conduct A/B testing and it provides overall metrics for your email sends. There is also an immense amount of documentation on the product which makes troubleshooting eassy.

Cons:

Certifications aren't very easy to get and how they conduct the tests aren't the best. You're monitored through your webcam for the duration of the exam and the questions seem like they're intentionally trying to trip you up.

Consumer Goods, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Really helps us keep our drip campaigns running smooth.

Comments: Pick a good vendor, that is the crucial aspect of the roll out. With a bad vendor, the turnover is dangerous to your projects completion date and it's bottom line.

Pros:

The whole baked out process is easy to understand and roll out, using the tool to manage email campaigns and other selling tools is a real revenue generator!

Cons:

As with anything Salesforce, it looks good until you sign the contract, then you see all the hidden add-ons and expenses you need to get the tool actually doing what you want. Be prepared to spend more than they tell you!