15 years helping Irish businesses

Benchmark Email Reviews

About Benchmark Email

Email marketing and marketing automation for small to mid-sized businesses and high-volume senders. Simple tools. 24/7 support.

Learn more about Benchmark Email

Pros:

It was easy to turn a web post into an email, and list captures were fully integrated.

Cons:

Most of the email appears to be arriving in people's spam inboxes. Can't seem to resend email to people who have soft bounces.

Benchmark Email ratings

4.4
4.2
4.1
4.2

7.8/10

Benchmark Email has an overall rating of 4.3 out 5 stars based on 189 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Benchmark Email before?

Bob
Bob
Online Radio Expert/Host; Podcast Host; Ordained Minister/Award Winning Author/Prof. Public Speaker in US
Nonprofit Organisation Management, 2–10 Employees

My Review of Benchmark Email

Comments: Very good! Customer support responded quickly to my inquiries. For emailing your customer base easily and on a regular basis - this is good value for the money.

Pros:

I loved the ability to design newsletters and email them directly to my subscribers. They have many different templates for you to choose from. The ease of use made my actual "writing time" for a newsletter minimal.

Cons:

I used Benchmark when I first started in online business. It was very easy to use and the price was in my comfort zone. I then tried to set up a couple of "funnels" and could not do so (this was a couple of years ago - so time may have changed). I contacted Customer Support and was informed that the system I was trying to put in place was not available through Benchmark, that they were only for emailing directly. Unfortunately, I had to close my account and move on to a competitor that did allow me to build out my funnels for online marketing.

Manuel
Manuel
Marketing Publicity Manager in Mexico
Entertainment, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Email through this app is inexpensive and comes with an excellent user interface

Comments: When choosing an email marketing service, I primarily considered well-known tools. I reviewed the free demo versions of these tools when making a comparison. One tool in particular stood out above the rest: Benchmark Email. I started using it immediately without any need for a manual. Additionally, its price is cheaper than other domestic email sending tools. The reporting features are also easy to comprehend and understand. Therefore, I recommend Benchmark Email to anyone that has recently switched to an email marketing tool and isn't fluent in marketing automation terminology.

Pros:

Email marketing consists of many different functions. These include setting up segments, measuring open and click thru rates and pausing delivery. It's also extremely cost-effective if it can create landing pages and is easy to use. Programming knowledge is not required to use these functions, workshops are held for this purpose. This app provides easy-to-use email software with a reasonable price. Even if you don't know how to use it, you can still create attractive emails with intuitive operations. The app makes it simple to view information like the open rate

Cons:

Even though it currently has limited functionality, it would be great if the EMA tool was more than just a mailing list. I hope it eventually becomes the best tool that's more than just a middle-of-the-road tool like MA.

Ewa
Marketing Team Lead in Canada
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 51–200 Employees

Benchmark Email Review

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Pros:

I am able to reach a lot of prospects by sending high volume outbound marketing emails with Benchmark Email.

Cons:

The issues that I used to encounter are no longer available since they were rectified upon version update.

Judith
CEO/Bus Dev in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2–10 Employees

Waiting For the Beta

Comments: I have used other email marketing programs. I chose Benchmark because I wanted an inexpensive option for a project for a client. I would say Benchmark is easy to use and easy to learn especially if you have ever used an email marketing program before. But like all software programs, it has its quirks and you learn to get around them. But Benchmark's tutorials, FAQs and feature lists may not supply you with all the information you need. For instance, there are two email automation programs that each offer only one or two automated steps after the trigger. Nowhere in the documentation did it clearly state that only the Automation Pro, that is still in Beta, offers a customer's journey that you can use to send out more than two emails in a sequence. On the other hand, don't pay for more than you need. If you blast out emails to a list of established customers with only quarterly sales discounts, or discounts for birthdays and holidays, Benchmark is enough. And Benchmark is inexpensive. But if you want to onboard various segments of your customers, educating them and eliciting their engagement, this is not the email marketing program for you. There are two locations for live support, one is offshore and the other is domestic. The offshore folks are nice people but they mainly operate by rote. The domestic support gets it right, but I am still waiting to find out if a personalized greeting can be added to the Automation Beta. In my opinion, a personalized greeting should be a standard feature in a customer's journey. I don't know if it is or not and none of their stated info tells you.

Pros:

Benchmark is easy to use. Easy to set up. Good for very simple customer outreach, i.e a storefront that collects emails and wants to alert customers to sales.

Cons:

Very limited feature set. Not standard at this point.

7 years ago

Hi Judith, We appreciate you using Benchmark Email and taking the time to provide some feedback. Thank you for your kind words in regards to our ease of use as well. We do, however, want to address some of your points in regards to our FAQs and tutorials as well as Automation Pro. Admittedly, our FAQs and tutorials are an area we¿d like to put more focus on. That¿s why we¿ve recently established a training department to help keep those areas better up-to-date and helpful to marketers. Our tools are constantly evolving and the support resources we provide must as well. We¿re confident this new department will succeed in this regard, as well as with keeping all support offices across the globe on the same page. Your feedback in regards to Automation Pro is an integral part of the beta process. We expect new features to continue to be added to the automation platform throughout the beta period and after. Again, thanks for the kind words and feedback.

Ilenia
Accounting Officer in US
Hospital & Health Care, 11–50 Employees

The Ideal Email Marketing Solution

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Pros:

Content management and handling email marketing is easy. It is smooth and easy to manage

Cons:

With Benchmark Email, it is all smooth. No serious cons.

Craig
Operations Manager in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 11–50 Employees

An Antiquated Platform With Horrible Customer Service

Comments: Benchmark simply didn't meet our needs. Switching to Mailchimp was simple and one of the best decisions we could have made at the time.

Pros:

The overall functionality of the system was adequate and did what we needed it to do at the time (2011-2012). System was fairly intuitive

Cons:

Bounce rates would change drastically for no apparent reason. Customer support was of no assistance at the time and was located offshore, so they were hard to reach during our normal business hours. We rarely dealt with the same rep, which was time consuming as we had to explain our situation on multiple occasions.

Software Developer in US
Research, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Benchmark Email: An Effective Tool for Email Marketing

5.0 last month New

Pros:

The capabilities of this amazing email marketing solution have been spectacular. Benchmark Email has been easy to use.

Cons:

I do not experience cons when using Benchmark Email. Benchmark Email works impressively for us.

last month

John, thanks for taking time to leave a review, we're glad to hear you found Benchmark Email easy to use. We're always here if you ever run into any email marketing roadblocks down the road. Cheers!

Carla
IT Manager in US
Hospital & Health Care, 1,001–5,000 Employees

An Email Marketing Solution that Meets Our Expectations

5.0 last month New

Pros:

The features of Benchmark Email have been meeting our expectations. Benchmark Email has been easy to implement. I love the capabilities of Benchmark Email.

Cons:

No dislikes for Benchmark Email. Benchmark Email is so amazing.

3 weeks ago

Carla, thanks for taking time out of your busy day to leave a review! We are happy to hear that Benchmark Email is everything you expected in your email marketing solution.

Jackson
IT Manager in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Benchmark Email Is Reliable

Pros:

I like the efficient features of Benchmark Email. Benchmark Email is easy to manage.

Cons:

No dislikes for Benchmark Email. Benchmark Email has been impressive.

2 months ago

Jackson, thank you for taking time to leave your kind words. We strive to make email marketing the simplest part of your day, and it is great to hear that you are finding everything easy to manage. Take care, and do reach out should any needs arise!

Abigail
Abigail
Social Media Specialist in Kenya
Architecture & Planning, 11–50 Employees

A great Alternative to MailChimp

Comments: I'm almost always on the lookout for free marketing software's to test out and after using SendinBlue and MailChimp, I wanted something with email marketing automation similar to MailChimp but with a smooth UI and design the abilities of MailChimp. I found Benchmark while searching for free email automation software's on Google. I wanted an email marketing software to create an email course. I could have used SendinBlue but I wanted one that would notify me whenever someone joins the course, I also wanted a software that integrated with Facebook. Benchmarks free plan caught my eyes and I signed up after asking the online support a few questions. Pros: Responsive templates somewhat similar to Active Hosted Drag and Drop editor. Creating templates email templates were easy and the customization options were great. Cons: I asked the customer support if I could add an image header in the email signup form (MailChimp supports this) and he said yes. Sadly, like Zoho Forms and SendinBlue forms, the design options for signup forms are very limited and doesn't allow more branding options.

Pros:

Simple email editor, The free plan comes with features for beginners to email marketing or for bloggers and small businesses.

Cons:

The email automation in the freeplan only allows one-off emails like welcome emails. What i wanted was to create drip campigns such as email courses but unfortunately the free plan doesnt allow that. I wish they had stated what the freeplan can and cannot do before i signed up, because i was looking forward to A/B testing, indepth reports and creating drip campigns but the free plan doesn't allow that.

7 years ago

Hello Abigail, Thank you for the detailed review! In regards to the image on your signup form, we made some improvements to our signup form tools and you should be able to add in an image to the form. Please contact our support team if you have questions on how to do this. We thank you for using our service and sharing the good word with the world! Please keep an eye out for some new automation tools. :)

Laura
Owner in US
Education Management, 2–10 Employees

Great Software!

Comments: With Benchmark I'm able to communicate with all of my clients, inform them about new deals, and work to promote my business well. Not only that, but Benchmark also provides us with valuable statistics about how our well our email was received.

Pros:

This software is extremely organized and user friendly. I am able to navigate my emailed newsletters with ease and convey everything in one place.

Cons:

There isn't much I don't enjoy about this product. I will admit there is a bit of a learning curve to the formatting; however, once you get the hang of it it is smooth sailing.

Juan
WebMaster in Costa Rica
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

Unlimited emails per day, this is how I summarize this efficient platform

Comments: In the company where we use this tool, we send between 10,000 and 15,000 emails a day, the most important thing is that at the end of the month there are more than 250,000 emails to our databases, with open rates always above 10% and with tools tracking, landing pages and many other functions we have always stressed that Benchmark Email is the best company of its kind in the world. Others much more recognized may offer the same, but at prices well above what they grant, so you will always be grateful with this tool

Pros:

The main feature to highlight is the price (what they provide for that excellent price is hard to match for many other competing companies) and its excellent function of being able to send thousands of emails per day to my lists, without thinking that they will charge me extras or that my emails will end.

Cons:

It will sound strange, but in more than 5 years of using this Benchmark Email platform, we have never had problems of any kind, they have always served us excellently, they have always offered us improvements at unbeatable prices and we have never had problems.

Marcy
CEO in US
Events Services, 2–10 Employees

Great list management and decent email software

Comments: Benchmark helps us communicate with our clients in a way that is both easy for us to use and easy on the eyes (for clients).

Pros:

Creating and using lists is very easy, especially with the new upgrades! Adding contacts to lists works well with various options. I tend to upload excel files to make new lists, very easy within Benchmark. I do like that it's easy to merge lists -- and that the software only accepts one contact (if that contact is already on the merge to list). Somewhat easy to use when creating emails -- selecting blocks and design [but the source code isn't as easy to decipher and use (my commands do not seem to "take").] Using attachments and links and media is pretty easy as well. The reports (opens, click thrus etc) are very good! [However with the new interface, it's not as easy to back-track to the original Email Report (I find myself having to choose again from the report list).]

Cons:

I don't really like that I can't "re-send" emails on my own schedule (not have to wait 1 week after last send). Also, emails from Benchmark DO get caught up in Junk Spam Trash Promotions folders of recipients and we do need to remind them (often) to check for their email. Also, when "copying" an email to use and re-name as a new email, I do not like that the software selects the "old" contact list to also mail to -- I've mistakenly sent emails to old contact lists and that was not a good thing in my situation.

5 years ago

Hello Marcy, Thanks for your feedback. Whenever you have a moment, chat with us and let us know about your concerns, we'll be glad to assist you. - Benchmark Team

Jaden Rose
CEO in US
E-Learning, Self Employed

Easy to Use Email Marketing

Comments: I think this is a good free software to use for basic email marketing.

Pros:

I liked using this email marketing software when I was just getting started. It had a free and cheap first tier account. I used the forms to integrate onto my website. I also sent out weekly emails to my list. I also used some of the "light" email automations.

Cons:

In order to use more complex email automations, you have to switch over to a paid tier.

Alberto
Sales Support in Italy
Food & Beverages, 11–50 Employees

Easy to access platform

Pros:

Benchmark Email stands out with its advanced scheduling feature, keeping contacts informed even when I'm busy. Although the interface lacks some intuitiveness, the exceptional customer service compensates. Unlike other platforms, Benchmark allows unlimited emails without extra charges, based on the number of records. Its simplicity makes writing newsletters enjoyable, impressing parents with personalized updates and photos.

Cons:

While Benchmark Email falls short in image storage for my subscription level, its deliverability needs improvement as emails often end up in spam folders. Resending emails to soft bounces and through contacts is problematic. Text formatting glitches occur, and the requirement to create segments for targeted emails is inconvenient. Unfortunately, my website's lack of integration with Benchmark is an additional challenge. The frequent change in email senders hampers recipient spam filters.

Amanda
Marketing Manager in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 10,000+ Employees

Good but better customer communication needed

Comments: Overall, the program works well. Communication needs worked on.

Pros:

The software is easy to use and offers a variety of layouts.

Cons:

Over the past 12 months or so, Benchmark has removed several internal functions. No communication about the changes was shared and we did not find out until we had to contact customer service. Each time we were told that Benchmark now recommends third-party add-ins.

5 years ago

Hello Amanda, Thanks for your review. We will take your feedback into consideration. - Benchmark Team

Mohammed
Senior marketing manager in India
Information Technology & Services, 10,000+ Employees

Email feedback from

Comments: Average

Pros:

Good for normal email campaign and good that BM has inbuilt list of unsubscribe and invalid contats

Cons:

Not at all suitable for heavy automation no form for opt out like mail chimp offer

5 years ago

Hello Mohammed, Thank you for the feedback. Whenever you have a moment, chat with us and ask us about our Manage Subscription form and share with us other concerns you may have. - Benchmark Team

Ian
Author in Canada
Publishing, Self Employed

A Very Good Auto-responder That Fits My Needs

Pros:

What I like most about the software is when I signed up it was free up to the first two thousand subscribers and still allows the feature of having an auto-responder on it. This is very helpful to someone when you're first starting out, as an independent self-published author you need something that can send a lead magnet/free gift to get people to sign up to your email list, a lot of the other email list providers don't allow for the auto-responder aspect unless you use a paid version of their software.

Cons:

As of yet, I can honestly say I haven't found anything difficult with using Benchmark or that there's anything missing or needs to be improved on. It's hard to complain about the free email account when you're starting out.

Media Production, 2–10 Employees

Review

Comments: We have been using it for a long time

Pros:

This software is practical to use in a daily v

Cons:

The e-mail sender is always changing so the receiver can not record the e-mail address in is non spam list.

5 years ago

Hi, Thank you for your feedback. Whenever you have a moment, please chat with us, we'd love to assist you on the email sender matter. - Benchmark Team

Kristina
PTA Newsletter Editor in US
Education Management, Self Employed

Customer service is great - but there are glitches in the program that need fixing.

Comments: FREE Subscription!

Pros:

That is free to PTA's! I like the fairly ease of use - -but wish there was a little more flexibility in the design features. And the blocks can sometimes make it tricky and tedious to edit.

Cons:

The login -it never saves my password. And - sometimes it asks for the email address to login and other times it asks for username. This is confusing. I have had a lot of trouble with this. I also don't like that your account is closed down if you have too many bounces - - on the first time sending something out. It shouldn't do this unless it is a multiple case scenario. Schools search for alumni - this is the case. They give an email address to Harris Publishing that does our directory and we assume it is "good" but then it comes back. And - major corporations do not like Benchmark emails -and bounce them.

7 years ago

Hello Kristina, We are happy to see you use our PTA Email Marketing plan. We made this plan to help improve the communication to parents. In regards to editing the templates and your login issues, I would like to try to setup a support call to review this. Please contact us at your earliest convenience to schedule a 30 min call with your account manager or a support representative. All the best! - Daniel Miller

Nicolette
Executive Assistant in Canada
Farming, 51–200 Employees

To use or not to use - that is the question

Comments: I find it user friendly and has a quality feel and look to it.

Pros:

I like that once the template is built it is very easy to customize or change components of it from one publication to another as far as text or images, links etc.

Cons:

I wish when you had an image with text that the text would automatically wrap around the picture instead of having to build in another text box. Otherwise the text is off to the side and there is a large empty column on the right or left. If it had the capacity to text wrap it would be so much easier.

5 years ago

Hello Nicolette, Thanks for your feedback. We noted down the text wrap feature request. - Benchmark Team

Shawn
Coordinator in Canada
Education Management, 5,001–10,000 Employees

Benchmark E-mail for Marketing E-Blasts

Comments: Generally positive. It's our main e-mail blast marketing tool.

Pros:

List management is very user friendly. That's the biggest plus for me. Easy to integrate sign-up forms.

Cons:

Sometimes the builder (drag and drop, not HTML) is a little buggy. It seems to be getting better.

5 years ago

Thank you for your review! In regards to your concern sometimes something as simple as copy and pasting can affect the builder. Here's a link to our knowledgebase on the topic: https://cutt.ly/OYkx3c. If you have any other questions or concerns you can always reach our to our support team here: https://cutt.ly/JYkEvz - Benchmark Team

Diane
Director in US
Sports, 2–10 Employees

Great way to Communicate!

Comments: This has been the best e-mail system we have used. Consistent in delivery, accurate reporting, and analytics.

Pros:

Benchmark has provided a consistent marketing opportunity for us. The analytics provided are a great added feature to emails. I love the resend option, and the ability to see failure rate and open rate of each e-mail so that we can adapt our wording.

Cons:

I wish there was an easier way to work with images and templates, and not have to scroll through all uploaded.

Stephanie
5s teacher in US
Education Management, 11–50 Employees

School newsletters

Pros:

It is a very simple and also my program. I absolutely loved how easy it was to figure out the program. This program made writing school news letters fun. With the changing of colors for the background to the changing on font, this software was great. Parents loved receiving updates on their children and seeing pictures of their children enjoying their week at school.

Cons:

When I would upload a photo it would rotate it upside down. It was a minor issue and it was simple to rotate it right side up.

5 years ago

"This program made writing school newsletters fun." We loved that Stephanie! Thank you for sharing that with us and your high rating. Regarding the uploading of your photo, let us know if it were to ever happen again. We're here to assist you. - Benchmark Team

Isaac
Isaac
Director in US
Recreational Facilities & Services, 2–10 Employees

Great email marketing software!

Comments: We have been able to keep in touch with our customers more consistently and easily! We have been able to directly track emails sent out to segmented lists that have converted into immediate sales.

Pros:

A great combination of ease of use and high functionality.

Cons:

There really isn't anything I don't like about the software.

5 years ago

Hello Isaac, Thank you for your great feedback. We're glad to know Benchmark has helped you convert your communication into immediate sales. - Benchmark Team