15 years helping Irish businesses

About authorize.net

We help make it easy to get paid. It's that simple. We've been helping businesses accept payments anytime, anywhere since 1996.

Learn more about authorize.net

Pros:

This suite of features is essential for the day to day running of our business. Vastly improved customer support.

Cons:

There is no text to pay feature. Right now we can only email invoices.

authorize.net ratings

4.2
4.3
4.4
4.3

8.1/10

authorize.net has an overall rating of 4.5 out 5 stars based on 183 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used authorize.net before?

Nipon
Nipon
Executive Director in Bangladesh
Information Technology & Services, 11–50 Employees

They are still providing the best card processing services for websites & online shops!

Comments: Great! I call them the universal card processor for almost every sort of business

Pros:

You might not hear a lot about them these days but actually they are the biggest network of merchant account provider processing card payments for almost every type of businesses since the beginning of e-commerce. They offer plan for high risk business sectors too and process cards in a lot of currencies. Plug-ins available for almost every platform out there and clear payments to bank daily.

Cons:

I found there interface little tricky and needed expert’s help to integrate with my e-commerce site.

Sonny Tee Influencer
Sonny Tee Influencer
CEO in France
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

Simple and Easy To Deploy

Comments: Overall, after the initial phone calls and emailing documents, its been a pleasure using the service. No headaches and it just sits in the background doing what its supposed to be doing.

Pros:

I like the ease of use. and ease of deployment of the service. my main reason for using it is because ITS not all the other providers out there. its a REAL merchant account.

Cons:

The actual process to get approved is LONG and kind of a pain because it is a REAL merchant account, they also do a hard pull on your credit, which was less t Han ideal but a pessary evil to get the service.

Lori
ProJet manager in US
Nonprofit Organisation Management, 2–10 Employees

Great Platform

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

It is straightforward to navigate through and look up all the payments made. It is also effortless to refund or cancel a payment.

Cons:

I have not found anything I do not like.

Josh
Josh
Managing Member in US
E-Learning, 2–10 Employees

Slow Payments, Convoluted Explanations for Account Use

Comments: Overall, Authorize.net has some benefits like customer trust and fraud prevention and if you are good at code, it might be great for you. Otherwise it seems a little outdated and complicated to set up and use beyond their automated features.

Pros:

I do like that Authorize.net is pretty widespread in its use, and that I feel I can implement it in a variety of mediums including SuiteDash CRM and Payments, my website, etc. It is rather versatile in that sense and allows for customization or more simplicity if needed.

Cons:

If you are doing anything beyond setting up Authorize.net with them directly and having them manage your processor, it is really difficult to figure out what to do and what you need. Customer service is great, but I prefer to just get things done on my own without multiple phone calls to set things up. Payments come slowly and it just overall feels really outdated for me.

Joseph
CTO in US
Wholesale, 2–10 Employees

THE Standard in the industry of processing

Comments: It was easy to start and requires no maintenance to continue running.

Pros:

Authorize has been the easiest to use with no changes. They pass the test of time.

Cons:

No cons whatsoever. They are flawless in operation.

Joe
Marketer in US
Retail, 2–10 Employees

A Bit Dated, But Functional

Comments: Overall, positive experience. Had one day where the servers went down and were unable to take payment for a couple hours. Other than that, zero outages or complaints.

Pros:

We've had very little problems with fraudulent payment attempts. Security settings are quite customizable and ease of setup is good.

Cons:

The interface is a little outdated. Other processors like Square and Stripe feel more sleek and modern, more navigable.

Tammy
FOH Manager in Canada
Food & Beverages, 11–50 Employees

This system is Ok

Pros:

That you can go in and search specifically by name on someone who has paid

Cons:

It was confusing once we were switching over companies. We cancelled and they are still charging us for it

Telecommunications, 51–200 Employees

Great support, easy to manage.

Comments: Its been a breeze. Every time we have questions, their support staff is ready the help.

Pros:

Price, support, API integration, Security settings, customization.

Cons:

none. I don't have any cons to report.

Alexa
Ecom marketing and sales in US
Textiles, 51–200 Employees

Payment Processor Easy to Use

Pros:

Easily connects to backend of websites. Stores credit cards as tokens and is safe and easy

Cons:

Hard to find transactions, have to know the last 4 of the credit card and the date the credit card was processed.

Eddy
IT support Engineer in Mexico
Automotive, 501–1,000 Employees

Gets the job done, but that is it

4.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: I found it usefull for what it is but since you manage critiacal infomrtaion, you need people that are not going to use it to steal that information

Pros:

I has an option to process payments via card

Cons:

You have to enter everything manually, no option to make the customer input it via phone, which increases the risk for the customer

Candice
Senior Office Administrator in US
Construction, 11–50 Employees

The most affordable payment processing option out there!

Pros:

The fees are a fraction of some competitors, but the software works seamlessly

Cons:

I can't think of anything I dislike. It really is awesome software.

Corinne
Development Manager in US
Nonprofit Organisation Management, 2–10 Employees

Adequate Payment Gateway

Comments: Overall, I think there is a reason nearly every organization I've worked with uses this payment gateway. It works well and is fairly intuitive.

Pros:

I've used Authorize.net as a payment gateway at multiple organizations. It is fairly easy to use and intuitive when it comes to basic functions like payment processing, refunds, looking up transactions. They have a live chat customer support feature which is really handy.

Cons:

The security features can be very confusing and the resources they have for explaining them are adequate but could be a little more clear. Sometimes the instructions on their FAQs dont seem to match what I actually see on my screen, so I've had to reach out to customer support for pretty basic stuff. Luckily their customer service is pretty good.

Brittany
Brittany
Director of Account Management in US
Marketing & Advertising, 11–50 Employees

Easy to use and safe!

Pros:

It was very simple to set up and implement on our clients' sites. We also chose this as our payment portal because it is very safe for the customers' information.

Cons:

The only thing I did not like is when they updated their platform we had to make changes to the code ourselves which caused some hiccups on our end, other than that no issues.

Sports, 11–50 Employees

Authorize.net Review

Comments: Authorize.net helps us take and track payments. We have been using it for 8+ years with my company and haven't had many issues. We use it with several different POS systems and the support provided whenever there are issues is great. They have one of the most effective chat for help options I have ever used.

Pros:

Authorize.net makes it super easy to take payments through our ticketing system. If we weren't able to link these programs getting payments would take a lot more effort, but this provides ease for the front and back end.

Cons:

The software uses another third party processor that adds additional fees, but overall doesn't harm the effectiveness of the program.

Mattie
Ecommerce Manager in US
Sporting Goods, 2–10 Employees

Good Solution If You Don't Want Built In Payment Providers

Comments: Overall, I've always had a pretty good experience with Authorize.net

Pros:

It's pretty much a one click install now with most major e-commerce providers. It gives you plenty of anti-fraud settings, and is easy to find payments and see all transactions / attempted transactions

Cons:

The overall UX design is pretty rough, it feels like it was designed 15 years ago and has never been updated. That's purely aesthetic though. Rates are decent, although it's hard to compete with some of hosted eCommerce single percentage rates for all cards.

Graphic Design, Self Employed

If I could give support more stars...

Comments: When working with Shopify and other e-commerce solutions, I've had to get a processing gateway up and running for several clients. On occasion I've worked with businesses considered "high risk", so many processors wouldn't touch them. Authorize.Net not only enabled these risk companies to build an online presence, but the customer support team have gone above and beyond on several occasions to ensure all of my clients needs have been met.

Pros:

Generally setup is straight forward and uneventful for e-commerce situations, fees are within average ranges. Best pro is their flexibility in working with businesses that other payment processors won't touch. Near one-click integration with some platforms. Very few issues over the years, clients have been very content and never have had issues getting in touch with their reps.

Cons:

Setup and dashboard can be situationally daunting, but once you get up and running it's generally smooth sailing. Tools/reports interface could be cleaner and better organized.

Neda
B&B Owner Operator in Canada
Hospitality, 2–10 Employees

Reliable and up to date service

Comments: It has been great for the last few years

Pros:

Ease of use and integration and good customer service

Cons:

I can only cancel a transaction after 60 days and because we take the deposit months in advance, it can become an issue due to cancellation of our booking

Jessica
Jessica
Operations Director in US
Medical Devices, 2–10 Employees

Authorize for Small Businesses

Pros:

We have been using Authorize.net for over 10 years with no complaints. We use it strictly for online credit card processing both manually and on our website. The website is super easy to use and navigate. We recently added the fraud detection suite to our account that Authorize has available. We are very happy with the results and the filters you are able to place to control fraudulent activity.

Cons:

Nothing. We have been very pleased with this software.

Dawn
Assistant in US

Simple for transactions from desktop or mobile

Pros:

We use authorize.net from our desktop pcs and in the field for our technicians. The administrator features are really good. Being able to make reports and authorize devices in a breeze. And for simple card entry it is pretty straightforward.

Cons:

I wish there was a section that just was labeled "recent transactions" so you did not have to go through editing dates and menus. Also, it would be great to see emails of customers after your have sent the receipts.

Santhosh Kumar
Executive in India
Staffing & Recruiting, 201–500 Employees

Authorize.net is controling of financial transactions

Comments: as an accountant Iam a user of Authorized.net for the controlling and identify the error while doing the payments

Pros:

In Authorize.net I like mostly it is useful for merchants and vendors for controlling the payments of their customers. It is very secured software and we can control fraudulent transactions.

Cons:

Authorized.net need to implementation on cutomer id with recrring card details removing if it is impelmented it will helpfull to many vendors like us so we can easily identify the error while doing the transactions

Sharon
CEO in US

Excellent for online bookings

Comments: A great tool that enables our business. We love it.

Pros:

I love how simple the tool is to process payments online. Our customers often express their distrust in online systems when booking with credit card systems they don't trust. Authorize.net enables us to install that trust in our business and also enables us to process all types of card payments, reducing our churn figures that come with physical bookings.

Cons:

Can be difficult to navigate, especially on mobile. We have also had some fraudulent transactions that the system did not notify us of.

Apparel & Fashion, 51–200 Employees

Apparel Website

Comments: Overall, Auth was reliable and accurate.

Pros:

High visibility into transactional activity. Reports were thorough and I relied on them for my monthly finance reports.

Cons:

Not sure if this still applies, but since it's a payment processor, you still need a second system to house all the bank data (like a Heartland, etc). This was important when dealing with chargebacks. Would be nice to have it all one system.

Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

Quick Onboarding for new merchants

Pros:

Virtually every major e-commerce platform integrates with Authorize.net. It's fees are comparable to most other major processors. Very simple to setup and on board. No complaints from customers.

Cons:

I personally haven't run into any problems setting it up. Rates are comparable to competitors. Might be nice to see better deals there.

Laura
ADMIN in US
Hospitality, 2–10 Employees

Fast & Easy Payment Gateway!

Comments: We have been using Authorize.net for online payment processing for over 3 years. Simple interface and convenient button for processing refunds. Customer service is helpful and easy to get ahold of.

Pros:

Quick & easy Virtual Terminal for payment processing. Links up with virtually any website or API. Simple transaction search & detailed customizable reporting.

Cons:

Must pull monthly statements from a separate website.

Brian
Brian
Director of Sales & Marketing in US

Used them for years. Fantastic!

Comments: Allows us to have solid ecommerce websites. Never fails us.

Pros:

It is rock solid and very easy to implement. Their support team is fantastic and available 24 hours a day. Used them for many years for every e-commerce website we own, which is 4.

Cons:

Honestly, do not know any. It is another great software company with a product that works as promised over and over again.