15 years helping Irish businesses

About Buildium

Get all-in-one real estate management software with more “all.” Accounting, leasing, mobile apps—there’s everything and then some.

Learn more about Buildium

Pros:

Easy to use, user-friendly, great customer service, reasonable price.

Cons:

Their "known issues" have cost me THOUSANDS in productivity loss. They don't offer credits, discounts or anything of value and they don't fix the issues for months.

Buildium ratings

4.3
4.5
4.3
4.4

8.5/10

Buildium has an overall rating of 4.5 out 5 stars based on 2,048 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Buildium before?

Filter reviews (2,048)

Yonathan
Yonathan
Real estate Agent in US
Real Estate, 201–500 Employees

Tracking is critical to your business succcess

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Comments: So far is great, I plant to continue to use this app more often

Pros:

Easy to use, and tasks are easy to assing

Cons:

no apps on the app store or Android store

GARY
Managing Member Owner CFO COO in US

Review from 7+ year user

4.0 last week New

Comments: Positive. Very similar to my thoughts above in the Pros section. Have valued and enjoyed seeing what Real Page has done with this product since the acquisition a few years back.

Pros:

Other than how easy and clean the layout is.....my favorite part of Buildium is how they utilize and solicit user feedback....and then for the most part, implement the right changes.

Cons:

The Financial Reports and Accounting modules are still lacking. Not to mention the Financials Tab within the Accounting module....is just useless in my opinion. Would love to see Buildium really take the time and initiate to improve and revise this. Which would include getting feedback from any users who are Accountants or CPAs by trade or have those backgrounds. Myself for example would love to partake in this if asked.

Lisa
President in US

Buyer beware

3.0 6 days ago New

Comments: Poor. It’s very difficult to get the support you need

Pros:

I can’t think of any. I don’t feel it is intuitive

Cons:

It does a poor job with important export of information. Also, there’s bugs in the software that have not been addressed and continue to be ignored by management.

Yair
Managing Partner in Israel

Yair Hindin's Responses

4.0 2 weeks ago New

Comments: There were some customer service challenges initially. The digital support wasn't addressing what I wanted and it may have been because I couldn't express it properly. A short phone call would likely have resolved in far less time.

Pros:

Ledgers are clear, easy to adjust, and helpful for tenants.

Cons:

At the plan we're on we don't speak to live people. I think that in this model everyone loses issues take 5x longer to resolve, the user gets frustrated and everyone's time is wasted.

Nelson
Principal Broker in US

A happy 10 year Buildium user

5.0 6 days ago New

Comments: Excellent experience and I am totally happy with it.

Pros:

Buildium continues to innovate and improve their property management software and have not raised fees much from when I started over 10 years ago. I originally began its use because Buildium was one of the few that was web-based and fit all of the criteria that I was looking for. I can access it from my smartphone, tablet, or laptop anywhere that I have internet access.

Cons:

Nothing, Buildium satisfies all of my needs

Linda
Admin Asst in US

Buildium for Property Mangement

5.0 6 days ago New

Comments: It is a very good property manage3ment tool.

Pros:

Buildium is very user friendly and provides owner access 24/7/365 which is vital.

Cons:

Multiple screens to get needed information, i.e. applicant email was removed from list of new applicants. Application must be opened to get contact information. Ability to copy email addresses from screen to send email outside Buildium system was removed. Most cons would be slanted toward my personal usage requirements of the product.

Ethan
Property Manager in US

Cost Efficient PM Software

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Comments: I really like Buildium and the ease it offers. I've used 3 other softwares and Buildium is as good or better.

Pros:

The reporting and accounting is very good in comparison to other softwares.

Cons:

You have to click through several links to get to places when it could be compartmentalized better. Example - Click property, click unit, click lease, click tenant. This could be cut in half.

KIm
Finance Specialist in US
Accounting, 11–50 Employees

Great Product

4.0 2 weeks ago New

Comments: Very very good. I would recommend moving to it if you do Property Management

Pros:

Accounting reports that tie out the balance sheet and allow you to drill down.

Cons:

Prepaids is a bit confusing. Budget vs actual report cannot do thru the month vs the end of the year without picking up some of the current month. Some CS reps are better than others but overall helpful

Matthew
Real Estate, 11–50 Employees

Buildium review

5.0 6 days ago New

Pros:

The ease of use and collaboration with team members and tenants

Cons:

Some of the accounting features. You have to "move" someone in before being able to collect money. No ability to take a deposits.

Jonathon
Controller in US

Easy to use

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Comments: I would say the experience has been positive and has accomplished what we need. We're a small company so hopefully as we grow this can still meet our needs.

Pros:

The tenant portal works great to track and update their ledger. Most of your tenants will use the portal to pay which makes it easy to identify which tenants are behind.

Cons:

ePay is too slow to process payments. In some instances tenant payments show up in the bank account within a couple days but other times it has taken up to 10 days which is too long in my opinion. The penalties for late fees cannot be separately set up for each tenant which makes the process manual each month for leases that don't follow your standard penalty rate. The 1099 reporting is also very limited.

Eyal
Broker in US

The Buildium Experiance

Comments: Overall, great software with dedicated team (to the most part).

Pros:

Buildiun is a very easy to use software. New features are normally well received by my staff.

Cons:

Missing some features. 3rd Party (FORTE) is not customer friendly.

5 years ago

Hi Eyal, Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review! We are also excited to let you know that Buildium has created its own internal payments platform and is in the process of transitioning its customers over to that system. Best, The Buildium Team

Jenna
Property Manager / REALTOR in US
Real Estate, 2–10 Employees

Great for a startup or simple management company

Comments: Again this is really simple and great for the amount of money but Id love to see more improvements more often. I enjoy using the program and do find it be most of what I need.

Pros:

Love how simple this is to use! I personally didnt have a big bookkeeping/accounting background so setting up, implementing and using this was much easier than other software that is for more of an advanced user. Tenant messaging is great! Love the use of resident website.

Cons:

Wish I could do more with the tenant emails, notices. I have to use a third party to get really cool looking emails/notices. You cant even really put in a image which would be helpful. Reports are customizable enough. As we are all different I would love to have more options for the reports not just on what info they show, or filter out but the actual width of columns, etc. I dont like to export to spreadsheet then edit. More ability to communicate with all parties on a work order, right now you can only update by checking tenant or owner. Would love to be able to send messages to vendors separate from tenants/owners. Also hate having to make a task then work order, it should really be just a work order. Then you can create a task for other things.

5 years ago

Hi Jenna, Thanks so much for taking the time to leave us a review! We've noted your feedback on emails, reports, and work order communications, and will be passing them along to the appropriate product teams. Thanks again for the review! Best, The Buildium Team

Neil
Landlord in Australia
Real Estate, Self Employed

Best accounting program for rental property income and expenditure

Comments: With Buildium, all my income and expenditure information, receipts and invoices plus lease agreements etc are all stored in the one place. At tax time, printing out reports for my tax agent is simple and quick.

Pros:

Easy to use and can cope with multiple properties. Reports can be generated for variations in financial year reporting of different counties. You can set up recurring bills so they appear on your list of things to do which reminds you and you don't have to re-enter all the data each time you have a bill to pay.

Cons:

This is an American based program and for American users, it offers the ability to pay bills direct from your bank account etc. For me in Australia, this facility is unavailable.

Lori
Business Manager in US
Real Estate, 2–10 Employees

Easy to use becoming more Robust

Comments: Been using Buildium for about 6 years. We have been able to manage properties much more effeciently and thoroughly. Tenants now are more interactive and easier to recieve payments and get work orders done, so much less deferred maintenance. The software is intuitive and pretty easy to use. When we have needed Customer support there has typically been a live person that is very helpful.

Pros:

The software is pretty easy to use, intuitive. Buildium does not really encourage integration with other Apps easily.

Cons:

That Tenants can't do Independent Home inspections. OR that We can't tie another software into Buildium easily to allow us to customize a few things.

Pamela
Property Manager/Bookkeeper in US
Real Estate, 2–10 Employees

Buildium is a game changer

Comments: This has been an excellent experience, from set up to daily work. The few times I have gotten stuck and not been able to figure it out on my own, I have always received the BEST Customer Service, every single time. Pleasant, accurate, immediate help and a solution to my problem with one phone call. It is astonishing in this day and age. Thank you!!!

Pros:

I have been in the Property Management field for over 30 years and started with a DOS based accounting program for our rentals. When it became too outdated to use anymore, my Broker dragged me, kicking and screaming, into the new age of online property management programs. After trying a few of them and being terribly discouraged and disappointed, I found Buildium and have not looked back since. The accounting features allow me to give my Landlords exact and professional reports and access to their account information through the portal. Nearly ALL of my tenants are paying online now, which is a great time saver and perfect for my small business situation. I am able to track every penny, every vacancy, every lease renewal AND I have it linked to my website so all it takes to put a property on the market is the click of a button. But the very best part about Buildium is their customer service!!! I have tried to figure out problems for HOURS on my own, then given up and called customer service to have an answer within minutes!!! It is amazing how fantastic the staff is. And the program keeps getting new features and fine tuning too. They listen to their customers and their excellent developers respond to our needs quickly. I've never had a better experience with ANY program or company, across the board. Highly recommend them.

Cons:

The ONLY complaint I have about Buildium is that my ESCROW account balances, which are the tenant's money being held in trust, only show the Property Owner names on my reports.

2 years ago

Thank you so much for your review, Pamela! It's always great to hear success stories like yours. - Charlie W.

Anna

Professional and Polished

Comments: When we were choosing which software to partner with, Buildium quickly rose to the top. Today, four years into business, I don't know what we'd do without it. From an accounting perspective, my accounting team has been pleased with the company reporting capabilities. From a management perspective, it allows our smaller firm to look as polished and professional - if not more so - than our larger competitors. It all comes down to how well users work the system. We feel we've gotten into our groove when it comes to onboarding, marketing, maintenance and more. The only thing I wish Buildium would consider is greater training options for those new to the software. That said, I managed to get us started (initially) and train the other users. And whenever we have a question, the support team is always a close phone call away. I would absolutely recommend the software to anyone as the best for ease of use, accounting capabilities and managed growth of the business.

Pros:

Ease of use. Tech support available by phone.

Cons:

User training options at the start of use. Perhaps online classes could be considered?

Sherry
Administrative Assistant in US

Ray Realty

Comments: Overall I am really enjoying the program and feel it has made things easier for its users and for our tenants.

Pros:

Love the Tenant Portal and all the features it offers. Accounting functions are easy to use and there is a simple way to make any type of entry.

Cons:

Would be very helpful is there was a report to track both Liability & Worker Comp insurance for Vendors & Certificates Of Liability for Commercial Tenants. As well as Property Taxes & Insurance on all Properties.

2 years ago

Hi Sherry, Thanks for your review! I'm glad that the Resident Center is something you're loving and we hope your residents do, too! For reporting suggestions, you can submit those for consideration through your Buildium account. Simply go to Help & Support > Suggest a feature. Our devs monitor the submissions there to get an idea of what customers like you are looking for regarding features and updates. Thanks, Charlie

Gary
Broker/Owner & Designated Property Manager in US
Real Estate, 2–10 Employees

My Perspective of Buildium's Property Management Software, as a Real Estate Broker/Property Manager

Comments: Buildium was great with helping me with all of my questions that I had regarding their email and text message features. I finally decided to take some time to take a closer look at the features they offered and when I did, I realized how much time I wasted by not using these features earlier. No more copying and pasting emails/photos and text messages to and from tenants and owners (not fun to do).

Pros:

I've been a customer of Buildium since 2010. I really like the fact on how Buildium saves me many hours throughout my workweek and helps me cover my tracks at the same time. This is helpful especially during the busy part of my day. One of the many great features that I like in Buildium's is the seamless integration they implemented into their software using a top rated property inspection software. It stores the inspection report with all of the photos and notes in one place for reference at a later date. I use my tablet onsite and the software does the rest. Another plus about Buildium is when I need to open a new work order (either onsite or in the office) for maintenance or a repair issue, I open the work order tab and everything you need is in one convenient place to manage the task from start to finish. Also, on Buildium's home screen, I have a dedicated section where I can review and update the progress of all work orders. In addition, each property manager has access to only their managed properties (specific authorization can be customized too). At the end of the day, all of this information is easy to locate, view, share and export and I know where to go if I need it. There Is So Much More...!

Cons:

There's really not much that I could say about what I like "least" about Buildium. I say this because, they constantly make improvements and implement new features on a regular basis. There really is very little opportunity to say, "... I wish there was a better way to do this task..." They also ask for feedback on occasion and I like that too. I found that if there's a popular request made to Buildium they act on it and they implement those new features. All of their users can request and track new requests through their forum. A very transparent company who is serious about making my day easier, Buildium!

betsy
Bookkeeper in US
Real Estate, 2–10 Employees

With just a few tweaks.. this would be an amazing piece of software.

Comments: Good - pretty responsive to every annoying call I make and I tend to be somewhat tenacious. thanks!

Pros:

Tenant tracking, tenant ledger, and reporting of tenant payments. The tenant log on ease and the on line payment process. So for managing tenants - awesome! The features for managing the vendors for repairs - awesome! Love the bulk charges feature.. well designed and functional!

Cons:

Some of the interface features.. like when entering a charge.. I always have to scroll to save it... little annoyance.. but why? .. Tighten the window. Allow tabbing and the enter key to move through the screen. I don't want to touch my mouse! The big frustration is that I can't write a tenant security deposit refund check to multiple tenants - it is by law that all tenants be on the refund check - yes I have figured out workarounds - but it is silly. I now just physically write them on the finished check. It looks stupid - but I don't have time to do my workaround. Fix that! In addition, take a look at the " final report" for the tenant on their none of the important information is visible... (Call me - I can help you!) The really big thing that would be nice is already programmed with your bulk charges feature.. I want to be able to "Bulk distribute checks to a list of investors" What that means is -I have my list of investors and instead of putting charges on a ledger - put a check entry onto the bank ledger so I could print checks and send them. Using all of the features of the bulk charges - except.. bulk payment. ( We have investors for each building - we pay them dividends several times a year -- same percentage, same names ... but I have to manually enter them. YOU CAN DO IT... I would be so happy!!!!!!!

Erin
Erin
Bookkeeper in Mexico
Construction, 11–50 Employees

Jump on the property management software train with Buildium!!

Comments: The benefits of utilizing Buildium for home construction companies are too many to list here. From management being able to see the project all at once and not have to look in different sections. Subcontractors being able to log their hours per project tasks for easy invoicing. Owners with the ability to go on and see how the construction is going, choosing selections, and keeping in contact with management. For bookkeepers the easy integration of Xero and Quickbooks online is fantastic. If you haven't tried Buildium and are looking for a superb property management software, sign up for their free trial and take it for a test drive.

Pros:

There are several items within Buildium that by far surpassed other property management companies. The ability to upload subcontractor paperwork and have all the information in one place securely online with reminders set up when expirations or missing information is needed. The ability for everyone with accounts set up to communicate, check on tasks, and proposals all in one place for easy referral. One of the easiest implementations and setups for property management software. But the absolute best thing about Buildium for me anyways is that you can list as much information from sales, tasks, proposals, selections, etc. I truly believe that all companies need to keep as much information as possible on file and with Buildium you can put as much information as you need, place tags for easy reporting, and this information is for authorized users to see. To me, you can never have too much information and it makes is so much easier if you have a person leave and the new hire to move it and look at the information to be brought up to date.

Cons:

When I first started working with Buildium I wished that there had been a step by step workflow check sheet because at times I had to go and research if I was entering the data correctly. But that was quickly solved while speaking with Buidium's excellent customer support team members. Finally, I would recommend a Buildium forum where all users can go on and if they have questions can post it to the forum as another user may have had the same problem.

Gary
CFO

Review

Comments: Overall to date after use of this product for 3+ years or so, it has been positive and for the most part appreciated. However, I would suggest being cautious and calculating when considering the new module roll outs vs their related cost increases for users especially considering the user demographics of the product as currently Buildium has a solid thing going right now in terms of their appreciation and overall responsiveness in terms of product module updates/new feature rollouts in response to their immediate user's feedback and needs in running their businesses.

Pros:

Initially, its low cost and welcoming feel towards the smaller property management and investor teams which given all the recent price increases that has slowly faded and now feels almost as if price targeting is trending similar to Appfolio which was the primary reason we initially chose Buildium vs Appfolio upon start up. That said, I still do love the open request and feedback solicitation from the Buildium users in terms of specific function and modules we are looking for/need for running our business in addition to the pretty timely and mostly appropriate implementation of those related requests/updates requested by the users. Last of all being the remote Check printing feature that was recently rolled out within the past year or so as that was a complete game changer in terms of time savings on investors parts.

Cons:

Still feed as if the different key modules of Buildium are too scattered about and not as either user friendly as needed and most significantly how those same critical modules do not do the best of jobs of being interconnected in the sense of communicating with one another to make processes streamlined and just less redundant throughout the Buildium suite overall. For example, there still could be plenty of improvement between the Rent Roll and Expiring Leases modules in addition to the same being said for the overall Accounting/Financial reporting modules themselves as those 2 specifically could use some vast improvements to help make them much more robust and professional.

Weston
Real Estate, 2–10 Employees

Buildium is Awesome.... The mobile app is TRASH!!

Comments: My overall experience with Buildium has been great. Great features, and makes my life way easier. If they mobile app gets a major update I will love it even more.

Pros:

I love many features about this program. I am an owner/operator of my properties, so I do not manage other units just my own. I love that I can collect money online and no longer have to go door to door to collect. I love that people can pay advance rent when they want and Buildium will track it for me. I love the mass amount of reports that I can run and look at. I love the accounting and Banking. It's very nice to keep track of all the incoming and out going money and make it match 100% to my bank account. It's also extremely nice to pay some of my vendors through ACH straight from Buildium. I also love the eSign for a lease. I love the paperless.

Cons:

The worst part of Buildium is the mobile app. It's complete trash. The world is very fast paced and everything can be done on a smart phone. I'm also tired of being told that I can open Safari on my iPhone and do the same thing. Well F that. I want to use an app that is formatted correctly so I don't have to zoom in and out to click stuff. I would love to be able to scan an Invoice/receipt of a bill and add it as a document from my iPhone. I want to be able to view a full rental application from my phone. I want to be able to do everything on the mobile app as I can on the desktop. I also want to be able to send multiple eSign documents and not just one per unit.

2 years ago

Hi Weston, Thanks for your honest review. I'm glad you're loving the ePay functionality. I'm sorry that the mobile app isn't quite what you're looking for. I recommend submitting your feedback through UserVoice, which you can access by selecting "Suggest a feature" in your Help & Support menu. - Charlie W

Alondra
Alondra
Leasing Assistant in Mexico
Real Estate, 11–50 Employees

ONE OF THE BEST PM SOFTWARES OUT THERE! Easily 4.7 out of 5 ⭐

Comments: Overall, I would say since day 1 of using Buildium I was easily able to navigate through it and udnerstand where everything was. I would say this has been one of the most user friendly tools I have worked with, so if you're looking for a user friendly platform this is it! There's also a ton of features and a lot of ways for one PM company to use this collaboratively which only adds points to it. I've had a really good experience with Buildium, with their support and I can comfortably say I would reccomend them :)

Pros:

I mainly work with application processing and screening, as well as applicant/prospect communication. I've experienced other softwares where it's super difficult to track stages or completion of certain "checkpoints" but with Buildium it's super easy! You can customize checlists on the application to easily keep track of what needs to be done and also so your team can easily view the current status. Another great bonus point is the screenings are very thorough and are ready within minutes of requesting them and overall the platform is super user firnedly, all information has a place and I find it really easy to operate.

Cons:

Overall I really don't have any major issues with the platform, my only one is the security measure it has in place sometimes while running payments with the same payment method. If it happens to be that 2 applicants submitted a payment with the same card, it requires a small buffer time between each application payment being processed. It's not really a big deal but I'm big on having my "flow-state" so it just kills my vibe sometimes a litte bit, but outside of that I believe strongly that Buildium is a tool that is constantly maintained and updated and there's no major flows to its functionality!

8 months ago

Alondra, you're making our day over here at the Buildium office. Thanks for such a thoughtful review! - Charlie

Wayne
Property manager in US
Facilities Services, 2–10 Employees

Great value in a property management Swiss Army Knife

Comments: I would say that Buildium has turned what was a loathed but necessary process into one that is 95% smooth and enjoyable. The ease of calling up specific internal Reports and making them available to appropriate audiences is a breeze, and it's accomplished with visual touches that add a lot of professionalism to the presentation. For those who are not familiar with it, your stock will go up as people will be amazed at how fast you can provide relevant responses. Inquiries that used to take weeks to wend their way through a CPA and his staff, can now be generated in five minutes and sent back to the inquirer. We have cut our external accounting costs significantly by doing internally what used to be sent out for routine addressing...knowledge is power.

Pros:

It is a comprehensive set of tools that can handle, to a greater or lesser extent, whatever you throw at it. I would not dream of managing the property I do if it meant returning to the former ad hoc, cobbled together process. Buildium shows the net benefit of having an integrated, systematic handler that does not require having to trouble shoot different resource modules or integrate app functionality, the things that can drive you to distraction instead of providing efficiencies. It is obviously a tool that has had thoughtful design at its core, with ongoing updates and expansion of functionality as feedback on it is digested.

Cons:

The thing that makes Buildium so good is the thing that trips it up, at least a bit, in making it compliant and compatible in accounting function. As software, it was, by far, the best integrated accounting tool that was part of a larger management tool. But because it is not specific to accounting, we had to do a rain dance for awhile to bring it and our accounting firm's approach into cohabitation. There are things Buildium can't do, and to their credit, will be transparent about in suggesting work-arounds that are usually reasonable and not kludgy. When considered in the context of what it can do, this shortcoming is really immaterial, IMHO. It is flexible enough to handle multiple properties yet tame enough to make it a great choice for small HOAs and similar, less arduous, environments.

2 months ago

Thank you so much for such a thoughtful and thorough review, Wayne. The fact that Buildium is making things more enjoyable is supremely gratifying to know.

Kelvin
US
Real Estate
Used the Software for: Not provided

Pretty good software for our small property company

Pros:

The software is easy to use across multiple platforms; I can use it from my smartphone, tablet, or from a PC with an internet connection. It has lots of useful features. As a six-property small company, we only use a few of the features so far. We started using it for the accounting. But there is more; I especially like the applicant tracking feature which we used for the first time in the past month. It happened to be integrated with a product we actually already used for credit/background checks. I was able to send a prospective tenant a link to the website Buildium produces for you where the tenant could complete the application online. I then sent links for the SmartMove credit/background check to the prospect. It all fed back into Buildium and even notified the prospects of our decision by email. There is also a way to post new listings online with Zillow, Trulia, etc. from within Buildium. As we were already set up for another method, I have not used it yet but will likely try on the next property we have available. It allows you to add property pictures, property descriptions and leasing information that would save time on properties with higher turnover. There is a built-in website-making function that has a lot of potential to set your tenants up with accounting and other information online. There is a method for setting up payments online too, but it's tied into just one vendor. As I don't want to give up any percentage of the rent we receive to a credit card company, I'm not using that one myself. I'm not sure if you could use other vendors for online payments. I do plan on setting up my tenants online so they can see the payments we have posted for them and their lease information. They will also be able to request maintenance items online, too, which would be helpful in our tracking of such items.

Cons:

There is a learning curve to figuring out how to effectively use the software. Also, there are some things it won't do without a workaround from an accounting standpoint. We have mortgages on some property which takes a workaround to account for properly. Also, the payment method assumes you cut a check or use their EFT system. In reality, we usually use a credit card and pay off that bill. But we have to account for it by pretending that we cut a check. Not a dealbreaker, but it takes some work sometimes to figure out the workaround for a given situation. The Help function is useful, and I am sure contacting the company would work too (although we have not needed to contact them for questions so far).