Windward System Five Reviews

by Windward Software

• Overall
    3.8 /5
    3.6 /5
    3.7 /5

About Windward System Five

Windward System Five on Cloud is a full business management system for companies that sell, service, or rent inventory.

Learn more about Windward System Five

Scott W.
Director of Operations
  • Reviewed on 26/10/2017

"A powerful POS with unlimited flexibility, reliable stability, and great support staff."

Comments: Saved our company time and money in the ling run. Being able to customize the look, feel, and functions of the application let us implement EXACTLY what our company needed. We evaluated MANY other products before choosing Windward, and nothing comes close. It was one of the better decisions made in our organization, and is a big personal red-feather in my hat.

Pros: - Extremely customizable. Allows you to customize anything from report, to custom price-labels, to customized POS screen (even changing the size/color/look of virtually every button). If you are a little more adventurous, you can even write code that allows you make your own functions. - Easy to learn. For as advanced as this is, most people can pick up on the majority what thy need in a day. For those who want to do more, their is a complete 'Windward Academy' that you can watch videos and read comprehensive guides. - LOTS of support. If I ever have a question, there are about ten people I can call. Of-course, they have 24/7 technical support, but virtually anyone in the company is eager and willing to help. I can call my account manager, or any number of others I have talked to throughout the installation process. Even the lovely receptionist is awesome has walked me through issues on more than one occasion. - Philippines support. You might think this would be under the "Cons" section; but it isn't. The Philippines support is not outsourced like other companies, but they are actual employees working in a Windward office in Cebu. They all speak great English, are EXTREMELY knowledgeable about the product, and aim to please. No matter how frantic I am when I call, they never get upset and are always positive. And they are not going to give up until it's fixed. - You typically don't find this level of customer service in Western support groups.

Cons: - Price tag will be your biggest hurdle. And some features will cost you extra. Having to pay extra to have the software integrate with our merchant account is probably the biggest complaint I have with the company. But even this is vastly outweighed by the Pros. If you want the best, it probably isn't going to be the cheapest. - There are occasional errors that pop up and random issues. But 90% of these are self-resolving (very intuitive software). For the other 10%, support is right there to remote in and stay with you until it's resolve.

Ed W.
Partner
Retail, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 26/1/2021

"Using Windward in a Small Shop"

Pros: Windward offers a comprehensive set of features, more than we will ever use. What drove us to purchase Windward is that its POS features are fully and seamlessly integrated into its accounting software. That means that both our POS and accounting data is up to date and current at all times. No integration with other software is required. Windward does it all. Another thing I like about Windward is the quality of Windward's support. Windward not only sets the system up for you and makes sure that all you point of sale devices work (barcode scanners, printers, etc), but if you are a cloud customer or have a maintenance contract, Windward will also remote in to your machines and fix any issues you may have. In addition, they have an on-line learning academy with training videos, documents, etc. that help you continue to learn the functionality of the system. They also offer live sessions on specific issues like maintaining inventory, year-end procedures, etc. We needed a lot of hand holding when we first started--I had no previous experience with POS software--and Windward successfully guided even a slow learner like me!

Cons: Windward is continually upgrading its software to provide additional functionality or to streamline its processes. We recently moved to the cloud version of Windward, and that has reduced some administrative overhead for us--no need for backups, no need to install updates, and greater data security. So overall, it's a plus. But there is one feature I miss in the cloud version. When our software was installed on site, we were able to print barcode labels directly from Windward to our barcode printer, a Zebra ZT510. That feature no longer works for us in the cloud, and I'm told that the reason why is that the cloud version of Windward does not currently support our particular printer. I'm still looking for a better answer from Windward. But what that loss of functionality means for me is that I must now create a separate barcode database in Excel, link that database to Zebra's barcode software, and print my barcode labels through it. So you should pay close attention to the particular peripheral hardware that Windward supports.

Julie M.
Controller
Wholesale, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 10/2/2021

"Windward System Five"

Comments: With Windward we are able to use the reports to budget for the future, look at our sales history per customer, get customer reports that we need.

Pros: I like the ease of being able to run our day to day business. We use the software all day every day. The ease of checking our inventory is terrific. Setting up a new customer is very easy. The system is very easy to use. Moving the data from our old system to Windward was very easy. We were able to import with very little mistakes.

Cons: I really don't have any cons with the software except that it is sometimes hard to set up new reports that we would like to download. Some times the help feature is not very specific for the reports that I need

• Reviewed on 10/2/2021
Kezia K.
Sales/Reception
  • Reviewed on 9/11/2020

"Updated: By Far The Worst POS I've Ever Used (Support Included)"

Comments: I have been disappointed, and remain disappointed. I left a similar review a few months ago, and I was contacted by Windward in an effort to improve matters - which I do appreciate - but, unfortunately, that has not been enough to change my perspective on Windward. For myself, the general ease of use does not make up for the incredible amount of problems this software has. I have been working with various POS systems for over 10 years now, and this is the only one that ever inspired me to go out of my way and leave a review, because it's just so consistently problematic. I have been asked directly by the staff at Windward to update my review, and I do wish it had improved in any way, but I am more convinced than ever that there are much better choices out there.

Pros: In comparison to previous software used, the finalization of the inventory process within Windward is rather straight-forward. The ability to print count sheets with only product in stock - no part numbers with a "zero" quantity, is great and saves paper. However, products often randomly shift into categories like 'financial' which causes the item to remain on the inventory count. I have had to request help from support on this multiple times.

Cons: I have used Windward software all day, every week day, for two years now and I consistently encounter issues in day to day operations. I have had problems with the cash out feature not allowing me to finalize the file and close the day; I am constantly getting error messages, or "unplanned shutdown" messages when an unplanned shutdown has not occurred; there are processing issues with rental invoices that cause the invoice totals to change, after the invoice has been finalized and submitted. This specifically has created MAJOR discrepancies on our invoices that has resulted in us to losing money, and having to issue apologies to many of our major accounts. One of these incidents has caused irreparable harm to our business relationship with our (previously) largest customer.

• Reviewed on 9/11/2020
Jody G.
general manager
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 11-50 Employees

"System 5"

Comments: Over very satisfied with our purchase. we have been pushing the system hard and for the most part (other than speed) we are impressed with the system.

Pros: Easy integration
the ease of use
functionality

Cons: The software has been meeting all my needs, there has not been anything that we have wanted that the system does not do. There are not negatives other than the speed which has been an issue of late.

Mark H.
IT Manager
  • Reviewed on 27/10/2017

"Highly customizable software that you can really tailor to your business for an affordable price."

Comments: Reduced IT costs, Improved staff experience and greater overall efficiency of our business practices.

Pros: I give this review after having tried many different software packages over the last 15 years. Some costing x10 the price of Windard, some costing x10 less. What I'm left with over these years is perspective, and that perspective was hard earned. You will not find a more complete point of sale, inventory control, accounting, crm, etc. for this price range. With the ability to fine tune it to your exact business needs, it's easiest to configure, maintain and operate...especially compared to the "enterprise" software world where your eyes will water from pricing. Its got lightning fastest Point of sale with the absolute best part find search tool I can recall using. The special order management is the best complete solution from any I've tried. If your serious about your Business, you should consider Windard. I honestly think that in the long run it has improved our business, staff and bottom dollar.

Cons: There is no such thing as perfect software. With that being said, there are issues...but then it's technology. You have to considering that it is a highly customizable product that able to serve an amazing range of business types with thousands of options. What Windward has that sets it apart is a fantastic support team with Canadian staff and an out-of-country team that is admittingly fantastic...probably the best off-shore support that I have ever experienced in IT. Tech support is typically same day, commonly instant or within a few hours of placing a call. If you have an urgent problem, they will find someone for you RIGHT NOW. If you have problems using Windward software...you will most probably have problems using another piece of software. The key with any software, especially if you are new to it, is to have patience and use every opportunity to learn.

by Windward Software on 6/11/2017

Mark, thank you very much for taking the time to provide your feedback on your experience with Windward System Five. We're thrilled that you are very satisfied with our software!

As you identify in your review, Windward Software is committed to continuously improving our business management solutions such that we may continue to offer the most user-friendly, yet comprehensive functionality available.

• Reviewed on 27/10/2017
Dwayne R.
Events Services, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 21/11/2017

"Software is still limited on the rental side."

Comments: We started with this software, it is still fairly limited on the rental side but it is costly to change.

Pros: Easy to use for the basic functions of our business such as reserving, renting and returning product. Integrated POS.

Cons: Limited as far as scheduling for logistical planning, very basic and a lot of potential for mistakes, too manual in some respects. Rental reports need to be simplified the variety of reports needs to be expanded. Generally there needs to be more reports that are specific to the rental side designed by Windward that help to identify business opportunities as well as areas the business could improve in.

by Windward Software on 27/11/2017

Hi Dwayne, thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

In terms of your experience with the System Five Rentals Module, may we please suggest speaking to your Account Manager at +1 (800) 663-5750 to become registered for The Windward Learning Academy. This comprehensive online resource will provide you with user-friendly tutorials to craft advanced reports as well as to gain access to more detailed Rentals functionality.

In addition, please stay tuned for Windward Intelligence, an upcoming System Five enhancement that provides integration with Microsoft Power BI, which will enable our users to run custom reports.

• Reviewed on 21/11/2017
Karen D.
  • Reviewed on 1/6/2016

"13 years with System 5"

Comments: I installed System 5 for my "brick and mortar" business in 2003. This is one of the best investments I have made for my business. I have thousands of parts & customers, and hundreds of suppliers. Most of my inventory is tracked by serial number. "Windward" is pretty quick in spite of my huge database, and the interface makes it very easy to look up info (such as customer past purchase history, showroom display serial numbers, etc). I've had great phone support when updating to newer releases, migrating the application from old servers to newer servers. Their support team has patiently even helped me through accounting questions. Once, my whole system was completely dead because my tech support guy did something on the server, and WW resolved it right away. For me, a key capability is being able to import and export information easily into and out of Excel, so that I can maintain pricing for so many parts from many suppliers. I also use Excel for sales analysis and budget reports (outside of WW), so we can "slice and dice" the data (13 years worth) to analyze leading indicators of sales trends, for example. Since work orders can be populated from an external data file, I've created an external visual interface to create the work order line items for our more complex customer configurations, and have them load automatically into a work order. After 13 years, I have a laundry list of things I would like to see added or changed in the system. However, reliability and dependability are my top priorities and on that front, WW has been excellent. Windward returns calls, answers questions, owns up if the issue is on their end, finds acceptable temporary workarounds, and makes me feel that my business success is important to them. They do NOT create barriers to communication, throw up brick walls ("that's just the way it is"), or tell me I'm running my business the wrong way ("most of our customers don't change their prices just because their costs change") - which I have actually experienced with other software vendors. During implementation, I designed my categories to support the ways I wanted to be able to analyze the data in both WW and in Excel. If you don't have any software background, I would strongly recommend working with a reseller/design consultant for the initial layout and installation (which I think would be true for any accounting system), because that will set you up for success going forward.

• Reviewed on 1/6/2016
Assistant Nursery Manager
  • Reviewed on 11/11/2017

"Lots of great features but maybe too many for a small business"

Comments: We can now track customer purchases more easily. Inventory control is faster and easier than before.

Pros: This program has a lot of features, many of which speed up the tasks we perform daily. Tracking our customers is now fairly easy. Most of the system is Excel compatible which makes invoices and other documents easy to export. Windward's tech support is very friendly and accommodating.

Cons: As useful as this software is I still find simple tasks that it cannot perform. I have made at least four requests of tech support concerning software functionality that resulted in an answer of "the software can't do that" (and my requests were far from complicated). It's as if the software is so good at doing a million different tasks that it wasn't built to do the simplest ones.

Judy C.
Accounts Payable
Retail, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/11/2017

"The system is fairly easy to learn and I have been trained on multiple sections of the software."

Comments: Sales reports and so on give a great view on how your business is growing

Pros: Many reports are available depending on what you want to keep track. It covers everything from your daily needs to monthly to yearly.

Cons: When updates are done some of the items we have used disappear or are not available with update. Have found some reports aren't accurate.

by Windward Software on 30/11/2017

Hi Judy -- thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We're happy to hear that you found System Five relatively easy to learn and are pleased with reporting functionality.

In terms of updates: if you experience any issues at any time, please do not hesitate to contact our customer support line at +1 (800) 663-5750 and a representative will be present to walk you through any issues you are experiencing.

• Reviewed on 17/11/2017
Ed M.
  • Reviewed on 26/10/2017

"Wondward Software is taking us to the next level of POS sales, service & support."

Comments: An All in One Sales, Customer tracking, Promo & follow up, Bookkeeping & Accounting Software With Great Support.

Pros: Back office accounting is saving us money by tracking inventory vs sales, as well as less cost with accounting fees by running an all inclusive bookkeeping/accounting program.

Cons: The occasional glitches, after each windows update, with form display screens freezing up the software.

by Windward Software on 7/11/2017

Thank you, Ed, for taking the time to provide us with your feedback and for your positive comments: much appreciated!

We are committed to ensuring that Windward System Five is 100% seamless in operation with all future Windows releases. That said, if you experience any issues please contact our Customer Support Team at any time for assistance: +1 (800) 663-5750.

Darrell W.
  • Reviewed on 6/1/2014

"Best Value"

Comments: Although the implementation of this solution is a lot of work, I have been through others in the past and this one was not much different. You do have to pay extra if you want them to come on site and help, otherwise you are left to watch videos and meet on the phone/over the PC with them. They did help build out a custom learning curriculum for us and help facilitate the learning for my staff which was appreciated. I do believe that you would be hard pressed to find a better value out there though. This program offers pretty much everything (and then some), from the front of the store POS to the back end accounting. It sounded based on another review that they had some growing pains with their payroll but we've found it works fine/as expected. My staff appreciate the direct deposit. Support after implementation seems OK. "Regular" support is mostly out of the Philippines but I had a register go down and they did not hang up the phone until we were resolved, eventually getting transferred to their "advanced" support which appeared to be from North America. Why I purchased this solution over others though, was that in the design of the software and philosophy of the company they really seem to come from the entrepreneur's perspective. From integrated real time accounting and fantastic reporting capabilities and lots of customizability in the software to what their sales guy told me about a core value there: with respect, the customer isn't always right....Lord know's that's true! (in fact I was going to delay the project and when they pushed back I was a little shocked but I'm glad they did). I should also add that my IT guy put some serious analysis into this project and by the facts/spread sheet, they came out on top feature for feature. Pro's:
Best Value
Does virtually everything
Good emergency support (and 24/7)
Con's:
mediocre "regular" support
watching training video's is not fun

• Reviewed on 6/1/2014
Michael M.
  • Reviewed on 26/10/2017

"Great solution to our inventory and customer billing processes."

Comments: Control, organization, customer history, financial tracking and evaluation though the reports.

Pros: Inventory tracking and reporting, customer history tracking and reporting. Has way more tools than we can use. Team loves the history look-up. Invoice are easy to create and print. Works well for us.

Cons: Trying to connect the purchase order to a bill to a check. If one person does something out of step I find it to be a nightmare to try and fix. I understand why and I appreciate this, but there needs to be more scenario problem solving for me to go online and watch how to fix my issue.

Mike C.
  • Reviewed on 29/11/2017

"consistent problems with functionality"

Pros: serial number tracking and customer purchases tracking. Ability to do rental and the capability to track rental

Cons: consistent issues with day to day operations and functionality. Unable to work thru most issues without a call to the tech department which has to call you back

by Windward Software on 26/2/2018

Hi Mike, thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We would like to assist you resolve any questions you have regarding functionality. Please contact your Account Manager at your convenience and we will discuss your needs in more detail. In addition, please ask your Account Manager to provide you with access to The Windward Learning Academy. This is a comprehensive online set of searchable tutorials that will provide you with clear direction in terms of using System Five for all types of functionality and is a resource that you can use at any time.

• Reviewed on 29/11/2017
Lori N.
HR & I.T.
Sporting Goods, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 10/11/2017

"Have been using Winward for 5 years and it is very frustrating."

Pros: Journals are easy to do same with cheques and we have a lot of control in that area. The support people always try to help and are very pleasant, but very often even they can't figure out how to fix something.

Cons: Very hard to delete stock or move it around, certain GL accounts we can't access, puts in transactions in the back ground that we don't about and screws up the Balance Sheet and difficult to delete a PO. In general it's difficult to delete anything except for cheques and journals which should be a little more protected.

• Reviewed on 10/11/2017
Tracy N.
administrator
Automotive, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 25/10/2017

"OK for inventory control - too loose for financial confidence so we use something else."

Comments: A platform to manage inventory and sales for 3 stores in different communities. We do not use it for more than that.

Pros: It's easy enough for my staff to run without a lot of training and I'm able to restrict their powers enough to prevent damage for the most part.

Cons: Too many work arounds required -- I know more than most of the front line support staff. Too many things happen that shouldn't be possible. It often works the opposite to what you expect or just doesn't work -- I find it's not intuitive on some major points -- never assume!

Kevin R.
Retail, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 25/10/2017

"Its a very powerful software and has huge potential."

Comments: It forced us to realize how many things we were doing wrong and we will be a much stronger company then our competition when we finally get it all setup. We are still learning everyday better techniques.

Pros: Tons of custom options that our previous software hadn't even thought of.
Love the custom print outs
Barcodes take a bit to figure out but then the potential is huge.
Custom settings as simple as a specific printer for a specific printout.
Can limit employee access super specifically
Inventory system is really flexible and powerful

Cons: Would be nice to be able to do price file updates during the day. You have to have everyone logged out to do it. This partially for data integrity. The WEAR software still needs some work can't see the virtual warehouse and has some minor kinks that need to be worked out in the latest version.

Jason H.
Automotive, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 16/1/2017

"Will do anything you want it to."

Comments: This software will cook your dinner if you ask it to ... We have run it for 4 years now and gratefully have had very few problems. Every time I want add a feature I find it is already built in. Excellent product. Only downfall is the customer service is hard to manage. You will find the programmers are genius but have very little communication skills.

Pros: Adjustability, performance, reliability.

Cons: Customer Service.

• Reviewed on 16/1/2017
Adnan Y.
ITOC Analyst , Senior
Retail, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 26/10/2017

"Good Product but need to improve it. Sometime software gets very slow"

Comments: It is much better product then we were using before and help us to process customer much faster, which is most important.

Pros: It is user friendly product, Very easy to train staff. Customer Support is very good as well, they call back within half an hour for Emergency calls.

Cons: they need to improve rental module. it is not user friendly. sometime inventory update took lots of time and need to restart the services in order to sell.

Mario S.
IT Manager
  • Reviewed on 25/10/2017

"Very flexible, comprehensive software package with a somewhat cumbersome user interface."

Pros: the flexibility thanks to various data load and import options, the ability to chain import/exports and call external scripts; detailed permission settings; the numerous features; lots of customisable reports easily ported to spreadsheet or similar.

Cons: - documentation is very fragmented, incomplete and sometimes just wrong.
- the user interface is not intuitive and a long way from modern apps. I couldnt convince our sales team to use the tasks/appointment/history-comments section as they found it too complex (but feature wise I think it's good).
- the one time we needed support, we received bad advise which would have crippled this company if it had been followed.
- a selection of sample scripts would really help with implementation of more complex customisations.
- the unique email feature is applied across both suppliers and customers. this is problematic where a customer is also a supplier.
- no support for linux pervasive engines any more.
- no support for Sys5Script.exe any more.
- the template editor is very unpleasant to use. Very tricky to create a visually pleasing document.

Trish H.
Administrator
  • Reviewed on 25/10/2017

"Windward System 5 has made running our medium sized dealership much easier"

Comments: Time and inventory management equals money savings

Pros: The point of sale system gives real time inventory tracking and the integrated accounting system saves hours of time each week

Cons: The software is almost too in depth especially for users who are not computer savvy or who have a hard time learning new systems

Eva T.
CONTROLLER
Sports, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/11/2017

"STARTING UP WAS TOUGH BUT NOW I KNOW THE INS AND OUTS IT IS EASY TO USE"

Pros: FREEDOM TO DO ACCOUNTING CORRECTIONS EASILY. THE FREEDOM TO CHANGE AND EDIT ANYTHING WITH EASE AND WITH THE RIGHT PERMISSIONS

Cons: INTEGRITY ISSUES MAKES IT HARD TO BE CONFIDENT THE INFORMATION REAL TIME IS CORRECT. CONSTANTLY HAVING TO CHECK INTERGIRTY BEFORE REPORTS

• Reviewed on 14/11/2017
Patti W.
bookkeeper
  • Reviewed on 11/11/2017

"absolutely love the support everyone is friendly solves the problems"

Pros: ease of use, customer support, reporting inventory tracking and as a bookkeeper I highly recommend this product

Cons: Well there is nothing I can really say that I don't like abount the program other than sometimes I have little glitches that cannot be explained

Jena S.
Parts/Service and Bookeeper
  • Reviewed on 24/10/2017

"Best switch from Sage to Windward"

Comments: Efficiency!!!! Faster book keeping!!!

Pros: I love how it tracks my inventory and it is very detailed. Bank recs are very easy to to!!! I am more organized!

Cons: That there is so much more I can learn on the program that I am not utilizing.....I just cant make it to the conventions. Would love to have online programs that someone could do the extra with me. I know there is online tutorials, but I am a better bus I learner.

• Reviewed on 24/10/2017
Deanne C.
Furniture, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 26/10/2017

"This is not a user friendly system AT ALL."

Comments: I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. Ever. In fact, I will do just the opposite.
Thankfully, it made my bank account smaller, I was really looking for some way to throw some money away! Thanks!

Pros: Unlimited product amounts, other than that, nothing was good about it.

Cons: Even with my "full usage" set up, I still had to give myself permission to edit something such as a check. Too many steps to accomplish such a simple task. very time consuming. NONE of my staff, regardless of watching the videos and going through our training, were able to comprehend the usage of the system. Took a year to be able to pay for it, then went live, less than a month later, got a renewal bill for the next year! When I told them I wasn't happy, they told my trainer to have no contact with me, yet they "offered" additional training. This program and the company are a joke, and of course, no refund as I didn't use it 60 days. You don't need to use something for that long to know it's not for your company. My inventory was incorrect when I loaded it, even though THEY helped take it from my old system into the new. Pricing was off on 80% of the items and my scanner didn't work on their tags, even though I was told it would, they verified the make/model with me. My inventory tags were sporadic at best for printing correctly. they started out right, then went bad from there. was finally told it couldn't be fixed. Went back to QuickBooks, everything works normally. Except moving the inventory back over - of course the counts were off as they weren't right in Windward to begin with.