About Mindbody

Mindbody wellness business management software is tailored to businesses that need business and membership management systems.

Learn more about Mindbody

Pros:

I like how easy this software makes it to reserve a spot in a workout class and cancel a reservation if need be. I also like how the price of classes is made known and shown very clearly.

Cons:

Customer Service, Pricing, Poor Interface, Difficult to Set Up.

Mindbody ratings

3.8
3.8
4.0
3.6

7.2/10

Mindbody has an overall rating of 4.0 out 5 stars based on 2,579 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Mindbody before?

Filter reviews (2,579)

amberly
amberly
Kindermusik teacher in US
Education Management, 11-50 Employees

No complaints

Pros:

MINDBODY is extremely easy to use. I have several different businesses I schedule with using MINDBODY including yoga classes and massages. I love that there is one app to use for multiple things. Scheduling is simple, and canceling is also simple if I need to cancel.

Cons:

I truly have no complaints about MINDBODY. It works great for what I need to do.

Selma
Content Manager in Algeria
Internet, 2-10 Employees

Amazing Experience with Mindbody!

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: Overall, I'm very happy with Mindbody. It's been a great tool for managing my business and keeping track of appointments, classes, and more. I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for an easy way to manage their business.

Pros:

I've been using Mindbody for a few months now and I'm so glad I found it! It's so easy to set up and manage my classes and appointments. The customer service team is also amazing - they are always quick to respond and answer any questions I have.

Cons:

The only downside I've experienced with Mindbody is that the app can be a bit buggy and slow at times, but this is a minor issue compared to all the benefits I get from using it.

Austen
Ops Manager in Thailand
Hospitality, 51-200 Employees

Great for Fitness and Customer Managment

3.0 2 weeks ago New

Comments: Front to back, this program has really enabled our locations to take the next step in service. MindBody was the tailored platform for our business locations we'd been looking for. Scheduling group classes with this platform prevents errors in overbooking, which prevents us from having to turn away patrons. The AI feature is the gem for us. We aren't always able to greet the customers, so the automated messaging platform takes over has been flawless to date. I no longer have to worry about losing customers due to us not being able to manually respond immediately.

Pros:

We assist with the integration of this software with several of our clients and I use it almost daily. The ability to log customer information from membership dues to private training classes is key with this software. I have watched our clients go from disorganized and not collecting fees on time to customers having their names called out when they enter the establishment. The payments are now automated which means fewer transactions at the front desks.

Cons:

The software can be glitchy sometimes. There can be crashes with the system, which is inconvenient. If they are updating the system, then we would like a heads up. The cost is a little much. If you use all the features, then I can see the value, but this software is feature heavy and they don't offer cherry-pick user plans.

Jorge
Founder and CEO in Dominican Republic

A Comprehensive Membership Management Solution

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: Overall, I'm very pleased with Mindbody. It's an easy to use fitness solution that helps me stay on track and reach my goals. I love the convenience of having all my fitness information in one place and being able to book appointments and classes easily. The only downside is that the app can be a bit slow and the search feature is clunky at times.

Pros:

Mindbody is an amazing all-in-one fitness solution. It's easy to use and helps me manage my fitness goals and progress. I love that I can track my progress, set goals, access classes, and book appointments all in one place. It's so convenient and helpful!

Cons:

The only downside to Mindbody is that the app can be a bit slow at times. I also find that the search feature can be a bit clunky and not as intuitive as I'd like.

Allison
Client Success Manager in US

Popular But Pricey

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Mindbody is very user friendly if you have the budget to invest.

Pros:

There are hundreds of studios and fitness centers on Mindbody. There are many services to sign up for and learn more about.

Cons:

It is more expensive than other software systems out there.

Alternatives Considered: Momence and Vagaro

Reasons for Switching to Mindbody: Mindbody is the most popular software inside my community.

Jonathan
Company owner in UK
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 11-50 Employees

Frustrating software that causes no end of issues and no one to help!! (that was our experience)

Comments: Unprofessional, inept and impossible. We have been tirelessly attempting to deal with Mindbody to help us with our new company and have had so many problems on the way. The "Sad Robot" has to be the most frustrating logos that inform the user that "Something's not working right" has been the most common experience of us as company owners and worst of all, our clients/patients. The first 6 days we couldn't log on to our £300+/month (half price as a special enticement) and no one could help me. Finally we were logged on and as a gesture of goodwill the Mindbody team agreed to waive the first months fee...this was the one and only positive, as sadly things went from bad to worse. Our "onboarder" was [SENSITIVE CONTENT], who was very nice but due to the 8 hour time difference was unable to offer us training before 5pm UK time, when we have our young kids to contend with! So we were provided with a [SENSITIVE CONTENT], who frustratingly wasn't helpful and at times, rather rude. Attempts to ask questions and raise concerns were cut short by her repeatedly interrupting, so much so I actually struggled to attend our training due to her poor attitude and unprofessional approach. We asked her "why don't our clients get confirmation emails when they book online?". She replied "there's a bug". We asked "What's been done and when is it being fixed" to which she replied "You've been added to the list but I don't know when it will be fixed". How can we tell clients that? Proble after problem

Pros:

The name is good. The software looks so good when you see it on YouTube, but our experience didn't live up to the promises

Cons:

The problems just got worse and worse.... 1. Clients who booked online had their payments rejected. 2. Some were charged twice. 3. Some were booked and then cancelled, then when they tried again, the class was fully booked. 4. Then a whole days worth of payments were then voided, over £600 on our 2nd day of trading....gone! But, all the clients had the payment taken out of their accounts, so we had to ask them to show evidence as our Mindbody software was showing that the payment was voided. It made us look so amateur and clueless. 5. The widgets on the App don't work and the calendar disappears, then the link doesn't work. All the time I am paying my website designer to try to figure this out and no one in technical team is available to talk to him. Despite cries for help and emails to Ross. 6. Our card machine (£199) didn't work. We spent over four hours the day before our launch attempting to talk to a technical team that eventually got it working...for 2 hours and then the next day it didn't work again. So clients can't pay online as it doesn't work, and they can't may at our health hub... as the card machine doesn't work....so they have to pay by cash....who pays by cash and what kind of modern day company demands cash as their online software doesn't work and their card machine doesn't work?.....it makes us....sorry, Mindbody made us look like an absolute joke. 7. Instructors haven't been able to log on 8. We haven't had our payments through to our bank

Carley
Spa owner in Canada
Health, Wellness & Fitness, Self Employed

I recommend mindbody

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Pros:

It was easy to set up and it's easy to use

Cons:

It can get a little glitchy sometimes, once in a while the system freezes up and it can take a couple of hours to get it fixed.

JadeLeigh
Call Center Manager in US
Hospital & Health Care, 501-1,000 Employees

Great product

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Overall the system is great. Support is always willing to help.

Pros:

I like that it gives you the ease of scheduling appointments without having a separate booking site. Members are able to easily find you

Cons:

There are not a lot of customization options for pricing

owner in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, Self Employed

Pricey with not enough customization

3.0 last month New

Comments: overpriced for only making basic back end customization

Pros:

designed for my industry in mind to be all in one option for the business

Cons:

ran into a lot of issues in customizing the back end

Program Manager in US
Automotive, 1,001-5,000 Employees

Works, but seems outdated

Pros:

Seems like a lot of gyms and practices use mindbody for appointments. It's pretty straightforward to book an appointment.

Cons:

The user interface seems outdated and not intuitive.

Theresa

It is OKAY

Comments: I think until recently we were thinking of switching to something else that is more reasonably priced. I stayed on and am now using the new marketing software. We will see if it helps automate our business more.

Pros:

I like that it has an app and that our clients can easily sign up. Also, the billing makes it easy for a small business like ours.

Cons:

We have been using MINDBODY for the last 3 years. I just think it is okay and think there are so many other products out there that have come out that might be better. My biggest gripe is the cost. I wish it scaled more with how big our fitness business is. We have a small business and don't do a lot of volume but in order to get the marketing features we have to pay a huge premium. I also was bothered that that they just increase costs by a lot after we used it for a year and never gave any training about the new features that we HAD to pay for. I don't like that their actual internal network and app don't help get new clients. DON'T ever pay for that feature as it takes a percentage from the sale. You are much better off doing your own sales and marketing.

Alternatives Considered: Vagaro

Reasons for Switching to Mindbody: It seems to be the most widely used in the business

Lori
Executive Director in US

MINDBODY software

Comments: I wouldn't want to change. Software changes are difficult to walk staff through. Price increases may impact that over time. Partly because it is ever evolving and slowly but surely we get functionality that we need. The software is greatly modifiable, however, we have hit quite a few roadblocks of things that we need that we just can't do because we do not have the typical boutique business model.

Pros:

Ability to interact with clients through auto-e-mails/texts.

Cons:

Not built specifically for fitness centers so lacks some functionality specific to a non-profit fitness center. Definitely built for a boutique studio.

Katie

Great Platform, Always Growing

Comments: Pleasant. I like it if you can afford it. The company is upstanding, good people and always working to grow the offerings.

Pros:

Mindbody is a great standard of performance for any thriving, mid-size studios. It houses a lot of the things needed to make my studio work. I do think it's very expensive for what you get but the team behind it is incredible.

Cons:

There are many features and functions I need it to have that it doesn't. I used to help build apps. I know what's possible.

Alternatives Considered: WellnessLiving

Switched From: WellnessLiving

Reasons for Switching to Mindbody: The depth of marketing and CRM, payroll and tracking

Yakira
Yakira

Great Interface, Difficult to Navigate, Addt'l Charges, Not Customizable

Comments: MBO functions like you'd expect a very large, very vast business to function - tons of features that you pay for but only a portion of which are usable or easy to access/understand. Super inflexible for making changes or to accommodate any customization. Customer service is nice and easy to access, a recent change to their credit. They also have their app dialed in, which was a huge win for us.

Pros:

Super streamlined UX for the branded app Easy to reach customer service Great analytics dashboard for quick status updates

Cons:

Charges kept going up for no apparent additional value All add-on functions come at additional cost Website integration very poor; no store option Functions/features buried in an oversaturated back-end; back-end not very intuitive Lack of customization on basic features, like booking window hour opening

Lauren
Personal Trainer in US
Sports, 2-10 Employees

Excellent at providing options, but slightly over-complicated

Comments: Overall, this product is a good solution for any gym or membership based company. I have not been able to find an option out there that has as many capabilities as Mindbody does, so I've chosen to stick with it. While it does have some inconveniences, it is a very reliable flexible software, which at the end of the day is the most important thing anyway.

Pros:

The sheer range of things this program can do is extremely impressive. Having just one program that can do so much is a huge plus in terms of simplicity and frugality. Specifically, it is very nice to have a POS, scheduling software, and online booking all in one. You can have two computers set up at your gym that can handle everything. Extremely convenient. Customer service is pretty good. I never had to wait on hold for longer than a few minutes. Sometimes the help takes longer than seems necessary and is difficult to follow, but I think that is more than fault of this somewhat convoluted software than the actual customer service itself. The software is easily accessible from anywhere. Surprisingly, their mobile platform is actually pretty good!

Cons:

The main Con in a word is Convoluted. Everything is multiple steps, navigating the software can be difficult, and the layout is not intuitive in the slightest. I strongly dread training new employees on this software. It usually takes me about two hours just to go through everything with them...It's a headache. Like anything else, it's not too bad once you learn it, but learning it is not fun. The POS is a little clunky. Processing is a bit slow- this was an issue even on a new computer. At my former employer, we actually ended up buying a different POS because we were so tired of putting up with the one built I to Mindbody. We still used the Mindbody one for class and competition registrations, but everything else (open gym admissions, merchandise, snacks, and drinks) went through the other system.

Molly
Ayurveda Practitioner, Yoga & Massage Therapist in US
Alternative Medicine, Self Employed

Miracle Software

Comments: MindBody is the admin assistant I've always needed and could never before afford. In the first three months of using it I DOUBLED my income. My clients can schedule, cancel, reschedule, sign up for classes and pay online- that alone saves me at least two hours a day that I no longer have to be on the phone, I can be working! Or playing with my family, or a million other things rather than sitting on a phone or on email. Just the ability to take credit cards (all of them) increased my pay; there's a feature when the client pays which asks if they want to leave a tip and offers different percentages or a custom amount...and when asked if they want to leave a tip, more people do so! Seriously my average went from 65 to 90 each session. Clients can buy gift cards online and print them out immediately, that's a nice feature for those last minute gift givers, and they are again asked if they want to leave a tip... it's crazy how quickly my income skyrocketed. I'm beyond grateful. OH and the best part. MindBody's customer service. I was actually offered a lower rate with another company (we'll call them Circle so I don't offend the real company) but Circle was terrible. With Circle, I waited fifteen months to get the rate I was promised and I was constantly tossed back and forth in emails and phone calls as Circle passed blame and did nothing to help my business. So I checked out MindBody. And they walked me through the software, the setup, how to use it, they even showed me how to customize everything for my business! We're talking 45 minute phone calls with this awesome customer service associate (Rep- he's so calm and intelligent and researches every question you have) EVERY WEEK until I felt comfortable using MindBody. I was terrified after trying Circle, but MindBody gave me the software, the skills, the customization, the feedback- did I mention you can run reports at any time to figure profit and taxes and such?- and as of today I stand to TRIPLE my income this year. Thank God I didn't give up after Circle. Thank God I found MindBody. I realize I'm typing in stream-of-consciousness, I realize I'm beyond excited, but for a single mother of three running her own business who had learned to live just below the poverty level, to make such a leap in income, to have such powerful and professional software, to have the unwavering support and knowledge base of an entire team of people at MindBody- it's overwhelming. Miracle Software.

Pros:

MindBody customer support is AWESOME! It's the reason I stay with MindBody, though Square offers a lower rate to NCBTMB members such as myself- square's customer support is awful. In contrast stands Max Malle. Remember that name. Best customer service rep I've ever known. He and the others go above and beyond their jobs- you can feel their sincerity. Oh and I've doubled my income and am set to triple it this year because the software does SO MUCH WORK for me. It's my administrative assistant that I only pay $ a month for! It rocks.

Cons:

Hm. Well, I have yet to figure out the difference between signing someone up for a yoga class and signing them in to a yoga class, so maybe differentiating that in the program's wording would help. OH and for those of us who use our phones exclusively, not a computer, when using the software, it would be lovely if the phone programming held everything just like the computer programming does. Hmmmmm .... OH and sometimes late at night my schedule disappears completely from my phone. It shows up as blank, which is frightening, but in the morning it's back to normal. Maybe you guys are working on it then?

MINDBODY Response

5 years ago

Thank you for your review, Molly!

Terri
President in US

I've increased my business 20% in each of the 2 years I've been with MBO.

Pros:

MBO is far more than a software provider. They are my strategic business partner. They keep me current on all the technological advancements available in the market through ongoing development in the software. As well as provide the research/data analysis which helps me make sound business decisions regarding my future growth and profitability. My favorite feature is the ease of setting up the reoccurring revenue via auto pay monthly membership contracts. The other two powerful resources I use are the automated emails, retention/re-engage email marketing, and all the reporting capabilities. The day to day use of class check-in, retail sales, client account management are all features I like. Finally, the primary reason, and the one which has earned MBO the strategic partner status within my organization is summed up in on simple word support. Their world class team of dedicated technical support staff are available 24/7/365 to answer my questions, provide information and will take all the time necessary to help me resolve anything I need. The support doesn't end with the technical. Through the MINDBODY University program I've learned best practices, how to use the reports to build my sales and marketing strategies and to set my business goals. The MBU video tutorial liberty provides additional information on a variety of topics right from my desktop. MINDBODY is far more than a software provider, they are my teammates! My success is their success. Period.

Cons:

Like any partnership, there are always imperfections and areas of improvement. If I could wave a magic wand and all my wishes were granted, then this is what I would wish: a more robust set of auto email options more content for the retention and re-engage emails more functionality related to inventory the ability of change contract start dates after the contract has been activated That's about it. There are other, small quirks which can be annoying at times, but then again, nothing is perfect and there is always room for improvement in any relationship.

MINDBODY Response

5 years ago

Thanks for the review, Terri! We're proud to be on your team!

Gina

Mindbody post virus apocalypse

Comments: In normal times, mb while not perfect is worth the expense. There are a lot of features and you used to be able to call them 24/7. But in the world of covid, it's too expensive and it's even harder to access customer service, the hours are limited and the wait times very long. We put our mb account on hold- which costs $50 a month- you can actually get software for that amount. Pre-covid rating is 4 and now it's a 3

Pros:

Before the virus hit, I loved Mindbody. The high monthly fee was worth the expense because the software automatically links up with 3rd party vendors like Class Pass and gym pass. Plus nearly every studio is using this software so it's easy to pick up traveling clients or sales via their dynamic pricing option. In short, the subscription is super high but in normal times you get a lot of it in return. This is not the case at the moment. They did offer 1 month subscription relief and 2 if you commit to 2 years but I don't know if we will make it? Most of the support staff is super friendly and helpful.

Cons:

Given it's many features, the software is sophisticated and not easy to use. Could never figure out the private yoga feature or how to show the studio was being rented so for us not to be able to do this - it was very expensive. Also we were one of the first studios to live stream so we got set up prior =however not all mb reps could accurately advise how to set up. We paid for adverting on fb and google, got many clicks and zero conversions- people kept getting tripped up in mb. A survey indicated over 30% of users had a hard time booking, paying for or accessing live stream classes on mb. I literally spent all day every day troubleshooting with mb reps, instructors and clients. I wonder ho many people we lost that got turned off? We decided to move our live stream and on demand off he platform.

Noemi
Innovation Designer in US
Nonprofit Organisation Management, 51-200 Employees

Great software that is so straightforward

Comments: Overall, my experience has been great - I actually remember being excited when my current studio, OrangeTheory, switched over to MindBody, because it was something I was familiar with from other studios. So I liked the idea that I wouldn't have to be stressed about learning a whole new platform because it had been so simple when I used it previously. It would be great if more studios would use this app to establish continuity across app usage and make our lives easier.

Pros:

I love that this software updates so quickly, is responsive, straightforward, and easy to use. I have used apps for a ballet barre studio and OrangeTheory that have been powered through mind body. My experience has been great - signing up for classes has never been easier, and I love the option to see my history, how many classes I have left in my package (would like a way to see when those expire as I don't always remember billing date), what package options are available, and even instructor photos and names in case I couldn't remember that one instructor whose class I enjoyed. The dashboard is also useful as I feel it displays useful at-a-glance information and helpful tips that have actually changed my approach to the workout.

Cons:

I get that it needs to be password protected as you can buy additional classes, but in the past it's been a bit annoying to have to sign into the app - it's not always straightforward what e-mail & password I used. Would be much better with a PIN / 4 digit passcode sign in or Face ID or something. If it takes me too long to sign in, I get annoyed and do something else instead of signing up for that class. I will say, though, that recently, I haven't had to sign in too much, as my account opens when I open my app for OrangeTheory, but sometimes in the past I've gotten logged out and it's a pain to get back in.

Amy
Operations Manager in US

I LOVE MINDBODY

Comments: Overall I am happy with the product.

Pros:

I love that Mindbody allows me to keep notes on customer account history, I love how great the customer support is, when we have an issue we call and they help us immediately. I love the tutorial videos. I love that many studios and spas use this software so my previous skill set at my past employers prepared me for my current position with my current employer. I like that there are so many features and ways to fine tune the software to your studios personal needs.

Cons:

Sometimes I find it to be not very intuitive. Luckily I have worked with the software for a long time so I am lucky to know so much, but especially when training new hires it can take a while for them to get used to the features of the program. After 2 months or so I feel like they get into the groove. We want to be able to take Apple Pay.

Candice
Director in Jamaica
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 51-200 Employees

Good gym management software for cash-basis accounting

Comments: Support is fairly good, the software offers a lot of features, but depending on your market, some may not be available. Not having payment processing available in our market makes using the system that much more complex.

Pros:

It’s robust and has a lot of tried and tested features. The MindBody team is also always updating features to make the customer and user experience better. The mobile app is decent, too.

Cons:

It’s not built for businesses that run accrual accounting, i.e. where we report on membership revenue across the life of a contract as opposed to in the month that it was paid. Reporting needs a lot of work. There are also too many steps to run specific mission-critical processes like retail.

Alternatives Considered: GymMaster and ZENOTI

Rachel
Yoga Teacher in US

Perfect for Yoga Students and Teachers

Pros:

Mindbody actually has two apps. I'm not sure sure which one specifically this review is targeted toward, so I'll talk about both. Mindbody has an app for potential students/clients that allows them to register for classes and workshops. As a yoga practitioner, this is the primary way that I use it, but it also can be connected to other types of fitness facilities as well as spas. It's a convenient way to find locations near you, read reviews, and get signed up for classes. Mindbody also has a "Business" app which shows the "back of house" view for studio owners or class instructors to use. Even on your phone you're able to check students in, accept payments, get liability waivers signed, etc. It's actually saved me several times when the studio internet has gone out or I've been teaching as a substitute at unfamiliar studios. Both apps are very beautifully designed!

Cons:

On the app for students/clients, my only critique is that with one of the more recent updates the "Explore" feature is less intuitive than it used to be. It's still fine, but I just got used to the old format.

Kathleen
co-Owner in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees

Not just software - it's a total business enhancement product!

Comments: My experience with MindBody has been amazing and I can't recommend this company enough! From the sales people who listened to what we wanted to do to the training that can't be matched anywhere else - to the ease of the software use.....I love this software and it's well worth the price because you get SO much more than just a software package.

Pros:

I love the flexibility and detail of this software. There isn't anything I can't do - even if it's not directly named as it is in my particular business, there is usually a module or screen that I can use for my purpose. And, I love the reports and the wealth of articles that I can go to if I find something that I need help with! I think what I love most though, is that the company is invested in my business success and they actively look for ways to help and have great suggestions. Not, only that, there are places to interact with other business owners to get even more ideas. And, that training is top notch - personable, caring people who truly want to help and ensure success. Amazing product - Amazing company. Oh - did I mention the branded app! Our customers think we're SO cool because we have this!

Cons:

There isn't much I don't like, frankly! I wish the credit card reader worked a little better. It seems to have issues more often that not and makes me hand enter the credit card information - which costs more. I have tried getting another reader but have the same issues with both.

Laura
Laura
Music, 11-50 Employees

OK Software- bad customer service, cc processing times scattered, very expensive!!!

Comments: I own a music school. We were able to make MB work with what we do. Billing, scheduling, marketing all in one place-excellent~ CC processing is strange. Your money can hit your bank "whenever" and processing times are always different- one month is was very late which cost us hundreds in fees. They would not pay for the late fees we incurred. There is no customer service. You get put on hold and then an answering machine asks for a call back number. Recently approached by a different software who does the same thing for much less! So far their customer service is responsive and the configuration is similar. Set up more intuitive and clearer than MB. What MB does not tell you is how much it costs for you to leave, a high amount of money to export credit card information. Read all of the Terms of Service agreement which is on the very bottom of the website in tiny writing. Overall horrible experience with the people and policies of this company.

Pros:

It worked for what I needed it to do. The reports section was very good.

Cons:

Not intuitive to use. Big learning curve. Processing times are never the same. Constant contact integration is not accurate. Customer service is terrible. Incredibly over priced for a small business. It costs a huge fee to leave if you want your cc data.

Natalie
Manager in Canada
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 11-50 Employees

Generally great but missing key components

Comments: Hit or miss

Pros:

You can do many things. I also like the ability to get to support easy.

Cons:

Family accounts are a must, bugs are not fixed before rolling out new additions or even updated software, campaigns need to be easier to manipulate, contact logs are important and were taken away with mindbody experience, issues with staff logins with mindbody experience, no option to opt out of new features if they're not optimized, martial arts belts should be able to be manipulated to change the name