15 years helping Irish businesses

About Duolingo

Cloud-based learning management system that helps educators provide language training and track student's progress.

Learn more about Duolingo

Pros:

Those things are incorporated in to the lessons, yet the user almost doesn't notice because it's so well integrated.

Cons:

Sometimes the theme or words become repetitive, and even the fact that you stop accessing the application makes you go back to the beginning, this demotivates you a bit.

Duolingo ratings

4.8
4.3
4.6
4.5

8.9/10

Duolingo has an overall rating of 4.6 out 5 stars based on 803 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Duolingo before?

Lee
Lee
Research Fellow in UK
Think Tanks, 201–500 Employees

V good for learning basics

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

It's all done really well, gamification done right, hitting all the dopamine receptors. V easy to practise reading and writing anywhere - though listening and speaking practice can be harder if you're in public. The most french I've ever learnt.

Cons:

The main issue is there's a clear upper limit to how much you can learn with Duolingo. There seem to have been more ads when I've looked at it recently.

Wani
Electrical Engineering in Canada
Education Management, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Doulingo for Students

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

Duolingo is such an interactive and easy way to learn new languages.

Cons:

It is a little annoying to learn random vocabulary that is not actually useful.

Principal Transportation Planner in US
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 10,000+ Employees

Good for drilling lame for learning.

Comments: Low average. The language I’m proficient in, it’s handy if annoying. The one I have some instruction in, it’s good for vocabulary. The one I don’t know the grammar going in, it sucks.

Pros:

The lessons are bite-sized. You can maintain a certain level of profiency with a small daily dose.

Cons:

If you don’t already know the grammar, their pedagogy is awful: scattered, incomplete, and rigid even when wrong. (I suspect plenty of their French, and unnatural English is all too common.). They used to have a discussion section where you could bring up problems, or get explanations of underinstructed areas from the user community. It’s gone now.

Donita
Adjunct professor in US
Higher Education, 51–200 Employees

Best Language-Learning App

Comments: I have found it to be the most effective, engaging and interesting of language apps I have explored.

Pros:

It is easy to use the app. It is a valuable tool to acquire a second language, or enable me to join in a conversation.

Cons:

There are no cons in my opinion. I have tried other apps, and enjoy it the most.

andrew
student in US
Primary/Secondary Education, Self Employed

absolute trash

4.0 last month New

Pros:

i was in the middle of making a lesson legendary with one of the 15 min boosts on and im almost done past the 40 xp mark when the boost ends making it so i only got 40 xp instead of my rightful 80

Waleed Ahmad
Software Developer in Sweden
Automotive, 5,001–10,000 Employees

Best language learning app

5.0 last month New

Pros:

User interface is very user friendly and daily challenges make it very easy to learn and understand a language.

Cons:

So far no cons. Good app with all the basic features.

Food Services Manager in US
Food & Beverages, 11–50 Employees

Duolingo review

5.0 last month New

Comments: Fun, helpful, and great way to learn another language.

Pros:

How easy it is to keep people having fun and learning.

Cons:

I liked everything not a bad thing to say.

Diksha
Student in India
Education Management, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Interesting language learning

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

It is interactive and fun to use this app. It's like a game and learning together.

Cons:

I think it can increase its difficulty level.

Entertainment, 2–10 Employees

Haitian Kreyol leaves a little bit to be desired!

5.0 last month New

Pros:

We love how many languages are available on Duolingo and that their app especially isn't intimidating. Makes it seem like anyone can learn another language, very positive and encouraging.

Cons:

We felt like the Haitian Kreyol (Creole) language system wasn't comprehensive or practical. Sometimes sentence structures seemed wrong, more like what you would expect in French. We didn't trust it.

Information Technology & Services, 11–50 Employees

Duolingo review

4.0 last month New

Pros:

it is a free of cost we can learn English through game it teach us fundamentals

Cons:

it covers the basic English only and less number of speaking practice

Tim
Senior iOS Developer in Austria
Financial Services, 11–50 Employees

Excellent start for learning languages - Tries to turn it into a game

Pros:

I dont think i've seen other learning tools and apps succeed in gamification in the same way as Duolingo. This gives a great advantage for casual learners and can help them develop basics of a language as opposed to a standard learning environment. It also provides a relatively productive way to handle 'slack time' that you may have during a bus, train or underground trip on the way to work or somewhere else.

Cons:

The software is great for casual learning. But should you become serious about learning a language to the point of intensive lessons you may find Duolingo lacking compared to a traditional course.

Rendel Anne
Teacher in Thailand
Education Management, 51–200 Employees

An Interactive place to Learn New Languages in a Fun Way

Comments: Duolingo has a knack for inspiring students. All of the app's features, including the daily tasks, leaderboards, progress reports, and peaceful atmosphere, are ideal for my passive learning style. Since the lessons are brief, I typically begin one without devoting a lengthy session to it. So far, the experience has been fantastic.

Pros:

You can enroll in a variety of language classes. The way the entire learning process is organized on Duolingo — gamified, soothing, bite-sized courses to dip into whenever, even on the road — is among its most appealing features. Everything is well-organized and simple to use, including progress monitoring, looking back at previously taught materials, leaderboards, and communities for discussion with other learners and professionals. One fantastic aspect is that anyone may start learning any language right away without spending any money and avoiding receiving any advertising.

Cons:

The program, in my opinion, is excellent for novices because it provides a solid starting point for language study. However, as you develop into an intermediate or expert level, you start to understand that the software can't really help you much more. The courses start to seem a little too robotic and calculated, which is bad if you want to advance. You will need to forego the app and experiment with different language learning strategies that provide more impromptu learning possibilities. The free version's restrictions are another drawback, but those are to be expected with any application, so we can't strictly blame Duolingo for them. In conclusion, I heartily endorse Duolingo for anyone learning a new language.

Anne
Brand ambassador and affiliate marketer in Kenya
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed

Best language learning app

Comments: Generally, i have had a great experience with Duolingo. I am actually still using it at the moment.

Pros:

What i like most about Duolingo is the fact that it is absolutely free and out of all the other language learning apps, it has the widest variety of languages to learn; 37 to be exact. I also like the simplicity of the app. It's so easy to use even for the most ordinary person. The way the app is designed with funny animations is so welcoming that you can actually look forward to learning a language. I also love the way the app is designed to encourage the learner to not give up even when he or she has made a number of errors. Duolingo recognizes that language learning is not easy and patience is a required virtue so when one feels like throwing in the towel, the app is there to remind you in some way that it may be challenging, but it will all be worth it in the end. With all the positive attributes that the app possesses, i believe it is a great and fun tool that can even be used by children and families not just for learning, but for spending leisure.

Cons:

What i dislike about this software is the lack of option for learning offline. I think learning should not be limited to strong internet connection. If there is a way that the software can be adjusted just a bit to accommodate learners who have poor internet connection, that would be wonderful so that learning goals can be reached faster. When it comes to the ads, there are some ads that are displayed that make me feel uncomfortable even as an adult. For instance If i was using Duolingo in public and some of these ads are shown, then people can question my character and probably any other learner's character.

Shannon
People Advisor in UK
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 51–200 Employees

Learn new languages with ease

Comments: I have really enjoyed learning a new language with Duolingo, it made it accessible and fun and fit into my busy time table.I have completed one tree and now am starting a new language.

Pros:

Easy to use with helpful reminders in a busy work schedule.Lessons can be short enough to do on your break or you can do multiple, this can be managed with goals of how much you want to achieve.

Cons:

Some parts are repetitive and new ways to learn and be assessed would help with engagement and retention of people using the app.

Kimberly
owner in US
Writing & Editing, Self Employed

Great for latin based languages, bad for others

Comments: Overall, duolingo is a fast and easy way to learn new languages. Only worth it, however, if you stick with latin based languages. If you have a need or desire to learn something unique like Russian, Ukranian, Arabic, etc, I would steer clear and go with Babble or Rosetta Stone. You won't get far with the lack of a Cyrillic keyboard, for instance. The fact they do not offer this when other language learning companies do is a cop out. I should not have to install something extra on my phone or computer. I should not have to bounce out to a separate window to formulate my text in Russian and copy and paste it into duolingo. Makes it VERY difficult to learn. I am frustrated. This is a fix other companies provide. Rise up and be better.

Pros:

Picking up a second language is really easy. The lessons are straight forward, and my Spanish has improved significantly from using duolingo.

Cons:

If a language course is going to offer languages that use a non Latin based alphabet -- like Russian, for instance, they should include a Russian keyboard. Babble does this. the lack of this keyboard makes learning clunky if not impossible. I will be canceling my pro plan until they rectify this or switching to Babble where they take the time to do it right.

Construction, 501–1,000 Employees

Fun learning with friends

Comments: It is an easy and quick way to learn a language and the free edition does suffice for me.

Pros:

The best thing about learning Spanish with Duolingo is learning with some of my friends in my contacts. We have made a subtle competition and is quite motivating. I am on the basic/free edition and it works fine for me. One of the best feature about Duolingo is that I am able to go back and review exercises I've recently gotten wrong and also listen to the ones i missed. Of course that is on the Doulingo Plus which I was trying for 14 days. It tempted me to subscribe.

Cons:

Sometimes I get wrong on most obvious expressions since it has its own sort of rigid interpretation. But i often ignore and move on.

Gavin
PhD Student in Italy
Research, 501–1,000 Employees

A great way to learn a language!

Comments: It's been a good way to ensure I keep practicing every day.

Pros:

This is a very user-friendly and fun way to begin learning a language. Of course, it cannot entirely replace either a language class or practicing speaking with others fluent in your target language, but it is a good way to begin to learn some vocabulary and grammar so that you can begin speaking confidently. It is fun to use, and provides good positive feedback. It also incentivises you to practice daily, which is critical for learning a language.

Cons:

The 'hearts' system where points are taken away for each mistake can be annoying, and you either have to pay a monthly subscription to get rid of it, or pay with diamonds (points given for successful lessons or purchased) to keep the lesson going if you run out completely during a lesson. Given it's a free service I guess this is a minor problem. Some people find the cartoon characters (Duo and friends) annoying, but this depends on your preferences I guess.

Ewoma
Ewoma
Blogger in Nigeria
Writing & Editing, Self Employed

Duolingo: an efficient language learning software

Comments: my experience with Duolingo has been all right. It gave me the opportunity to learn a new language without paying for language classes which is good.

Pros:

I like Duolingo because it is a great language learning tool. I used to learn to improve my French language when I was studying at the university. I like how it is free and so easy to use. I don't have to spend any money on language classes due to this app. I also love its gaming format. It makes learning French and Spanish fun for me without the pressure of learning in a class. I also like its compatibility with mobile devices. I open it on my android phone and take my lessons for the day irrespective of my location. Also, its daily reminders help me stay committed to learning and not forget my learning tasks.

Cons:

While Duolingo is a great language learning app, I find the pop-up ads a nuisance. Another thing I dislike about it is that it lacks the most important element for learning a language, which is; face to face interaction. That is crucial for learning your target language. Also, I would not recommend Duolingo if you want to advance to a native level in your target language. I have finished all my French lessons on the app. Although my French improved tremendously, I am still far from being on the level of a native French speaker.

Edward
business in Slovakia
Business Supplies & Equipment, Self Employed

Easy Language Learner

Comments: Was using the free version for a while and it's been great. Those ads have been realy obnoxious and feel my Spanish reading and vocab has improved a enough to order the 12 month plan. Definetely recommend full version.

Pros:

I really like the app. It is great to learn the basics. To be clear just using Duolingo to learn a language is not enough. You need other methods as well and most importantly you need to practice with native speakers. Btw, not only is their platform pleasing, fast, and fun, it works as promised! the only downside is of course the ads (and hence the 4 stars -- program and content is 5 stars for sure), but hey, IT IS FREE! IGNORING THE ADS IS A SMALL PRICE TO PAY!

Cons:

Quantity of material varies among languages. And I was really enjoying the program and the motivation it provided to keep my daily usage streak going., but reporting the bug is not easy, I did my best and after 3 days they have responded. That nippers little bit.

Rachel
Owner in Canada
Retail, Self Employed

Excellent support to other language learning tactics/lessons/scenarios

Comments: I have used Duolingo on and off again for years now. I've used it to support my Norwegian language lessons, and I've used it to practice my French as I was planning on going in to be a French Immersion teacher (then COVID hit so those plans got cancelled). I recommend it to families I've known through schools I work in as an EA, and I recommend it to my stepkids to support their learning. It's just a great program to practice what is already being taught, bearing in mind differences in accents, and localized slang. It is a great place to learn formal language skills however and then when you visit or move or meet people from another place you can pick up on the slang or more relaxed language skills then and there. I would not use it exclusively for learning a language, you need more conversations with people and turtors and real life experience, but it's a great support and great jumping off point for basic language skills.

Pros:

It's a clean layout, easy to navigate, fun, nice animation. I've been able to recommend it to people as a free language support enhance their (or their kids') learning (essentially good for everyone young and old).

Cons:

When using as a support for other language lessons (for me I used it to support my French, Spanish, and Norwegian learning/lessons) it can be hard to understand some of the verbal prompts; as a Canadian I am learning Quebecois French accent and vernacular, and my Norwegian lessons in person were with one kind of accent (very formal language and generic accent) however when I moved to Norway for 6 months I was actually in a completely different dialect than is presented in Duolingo and most of my lessons went out the window (though they were a good jumping off point for the language generally speaking, but Norway has as many dialects as Ireland has regional accents).

Priyanka
manager in Nepal
E-Learning, 51–200 Employees

Uses of Duolingo

Comments: Duolingo is one of the most used and most popular language-learning applications. Many are satisfied with this application since they are practically at their home itself. For people who want to learn a specific language but do not have enough tie, this is perfect software as you can allocate your time per day.

Pros:

1) It is the best beginner-friendly app for people who wants to learn languages. 2) It is cost-free and very effective as it starts with simple sentences for target languages. 3) The app reminds them to practice by itself which keeps users motivated. 4) It has different parts to make users try like listening drill, fill in the blanks, matching pairs, and mock conversations.

Cons:

1) Users do not have control over vocabulary, the order that topics come in, or choose to skip them. 2) Since it is online application software, it lacks the feeling of human interaction. 3) Lots of ads in between.

General Manager in Angola
E-Learning, 11–50 Employees

A must have for anyone interested in language learning or teaching

Comments: Duolingo is a great app for whoever wants to learn, start learning or just stay engaged with the languages they're interested in. I use it to learn Japanese and whenever I develop an interest for any language, Duolingo is the first app that comes to mind. I've used several other software to try to learn but I always come back to Duolingo.

Pros:

I teach languages for a living and one of the biggest challenges was to gauge how much and exactly what the students know. With Duolingo my job became a lot easier with their Duolingo For Schools product. Duolingo already makes language learning fairly simple by avoiding to overcomplicate the learning process with dense grammar and leaning towards a more intuitive experience but when they introduced this new feature on top of that it only made my love for the app even deeper.

Cons:

Duolingo is a very intuitive app but it falls short when it comes to certain features. For example: it's very difficult to set up Duolingo For Schools and in the mobile app there isn't even any button for it. The student has to go to the settings and look for it. Also, Duolingo has features for some languages and not for others. I guess this is due to the time it takes to create content but until the day comes this will always feel like a downside.

Zakaria
computer engineer in Morocco
Computer Hardware, Self Employed

that's why i use Duolingo to learn any language

Comments: overall experience, I would say that Duolingo has such great results, and everyone should use it.

Pros:

Duolingo is a really common software to learn any language as a beginner, it has multiple versions, you can use it on your mobile, computer, tablet... Duolingo is using great technics to make learning easy for you, there are audio exercises, short stories...Duolingo has a great rewarding system, to make you really motivated to learn, you can practice any language you want anytime and there are no limits, the thing that I really liked more, that the app is always in touch with you and sends you notifications every day to remind you of your lessons, to be honest, the software is soo fun, I really enjoy it, and i use it most of my time.it has such a big impact on our lives.

Cons:

the thing that i liked least, The ads. I don't see that ads are a good idea, and i think that can be affecting people while learning and distract them.

Délcio
Délcio
English teacher in Angola
Primary/Secondary Education, Self Employed

Duolingo is the world's best Language learning software.

Comments: My experience using Duolingo is the greatest. This is the most fun and intuitive way to learn languages. As an English teacher, I always recommend it to my learners. And they also have the greatest experience. You can trust. Try, and you will be amazed how it will change your life and language skills!

Pros:

Simple and intuitive interface, nice illustrations, and test, easy frases to complete, great learning system, and much more options. Duolingo is definitely the best software to learn a new language. I love it.

Cons:

Some ads just appear many times when you're learning on the free mode. But I think it's not a big problem. It's just a question of patience. When you don't pay, you just have to wait some seconds, while you see a new website and choose to visit or ignore. So, this is not so bad at all. You just keep learning after you skip the ads.

Dorota
Senior Frontend Engineer in UK
Renewables & Environment, 51–200 Employees

Great for getting familiar with a new language

Comments: I find it helpful to pick up the basics of a new language and don't feel completely lost in a foreign country!

Pros:

It's a fun way to kick off learning a new language. The courses are well thought and the repetition helps to consolidate the knowledge. It has a very good design and is easy to use. The community aspect is also motivating.

Cons:

The languages to learn are quite limited if my native language is not English. The progress tracking changed more than once which can be confusing. I also wish there were more in-depth explanations of some theoretical aspects.