15 years helping Irish businesses

QuickBooks Point of Sale Reviews

About QuickBooks Point of Sale

QuickBooks Point of Sale is an all-in-one solution with the software, hardware and payment service you need to sell online and in-store

Learn more about QuickBooks Point of Sale

Pros:

Stock value, amount sold, cost of goods, profits. How well each vendor is doing.

Cons:

Just had a record breaking $500 sale that took 15 min bc during it the system started scanning items in wrong. We have been open 6 months.

QuickBooks Point of Sale ratings

3.9
3.5
3.9
3.6

7.2/10

QuickBooks Point of Sale has an overall rating of 3.9 out 5 stars based on 177 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used QuickBooks Point of Sale before?

Christopher
Christopher
Independent Distributor in US
Construction, 2–10 Employees

My swiss army knife

Comments: Its my go to book keeping tool I have used it I "Trust" it and would highly recommend it to any business no matter the industry or size .

Pros:

Easy to understand so its easy to train new users I have used this software in my construction business and a store manager it easily helps me manage multiple pos devices both in store and in the field making tax forms and reports quick and easy to create .

Cons:

There is a learning curve for some uses of the software

5 years ago

We're proud to be backing Pace Products inc, Christopher. Thank you so much for sharing your lovely review with us, as it's wonderful to hear that you find the program so easy to use. I want to ensure you have all of the resources you need to help those you train get past the learning curve that is usually associated with a new program. For this reason, I encourage you to check out the QuickBooks Community website. It's a resource hub filled with a wealth of self-help knowledge articles that cover a wide range of QuickBooks-related topics. The following link will take you there: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/US-QuickBooks-Community/ct-p/community-us Additionally, here's another link that will take you to a list of video tutorials that also cover many of the various features QuickBooks has to offer: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVxBmyedTVhTRQRYeZJfVBpz_12zwHc6Z Thank you again for reviewing our software, Christopher! Clay, The QuickBooks Team

Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, Self Employed

The software you need when opening a small business

Comments: For those opening a small business, how to process payments is one of the key questions that need a solution and with this you have the ability to get paid from your customer.

Pros:

The easy functionality and all the different features that I didn't think about that would be there to help get a company going

Cons:

The time it takes to put in all information

Calleigh
Office Manager in Canada
Real Estate, 51–200 Employees

Quickbooks POS: Great Software/User Friendly

5.0 last month New

Comments: Overall it’s a great user friendly software that makes my accounting life much easier to use and manage !

Pros:

Quickbooks is a very user friendly software that not only tracks inventory but tracks orders, user accounts and point of sale. It syncs well from other compatible software and makes accounting fun and easy!

Cons:

Sometimes the inventory on orders needs to be double checked after syncing from another software over to quickbooks to ensure numbers match

Michelle
Manager in US
Retail

We have used QB POS Multi store for a couple years.

Pros:

Ease of ringing up customers. It's very simple to start ringing people up. We didn't have to train our staff more than a couple minutes.

Cons:

1. Tech support is horrible. There is a reason this is number one!!!!!! 2. If you have more than one computer at a location there are issues if you don't have a wired internet which brought us down for hours and hours and hours over weeks without anyone diagnosing this to be the issue. Customer service just kept logging in and changing the IP address without explaining what they were doing. I finally got a good tech support person that helped me figure it out and how to fix it on my own. (Do NOT use wireless internet. You MUST use hard wire to computer.) 3. We have inventory items that keep reappearing after deleting them. We then tried to merge them and they still keep reappearing. Tech support couldn't remove them either. This really messes up our reports. 4. We had a day that at the end of the day QB restarted and lost ALL the transactions for the day. We were never able to get the information back and it also took a weeks worth of transactions with it. Tech support never retrieved the information nor could explain what happened. 5. There is only 2 levels of departments. You have a "work around" for this by allowing you to customize a field, but you have to write the department name in each time. If you forget the exact word you used such as "snack" instead of "snacks" it won't run adequate reports. I can't imagine many places that don't need more departments. For example, I have "Tours" and "Merchandise" as my main departments. I want to have "Snacks" "Apparel" and even further under snacks I'd like to have "Cookies" "Chips", etc. 6. Sending and receiving files from Intuit server does not always go through. This would be ok if there were an error message, but there isn't. It just didn't send. The only way to be sure this didn't happen when running a report on headquarters is to check to see if there is information each day. I have more than one location so this is tedious. If I find a day that is missing I have to have the staff manually go in and resend data. 7. I'm sure I have MUCH more, but that was the ones I could think of off the top of my head and QB POS has taken up enough of my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I can find a better solution I would before you could blink your eyes. I am constantly looking and shopping around.

audric
personal trainer in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, Self Employed

Surprised how easy it was to use

Pros:

best part of this software was how quickly I can process the payments while maintaining a constant log of each sale.

Cons:

no features really missing I just had to over come the learning curve to be honest.

Recreational Facilities & Services, 201–500 Employees

Quickbooks Point of Sale a breeze for users

Comments: Overall, we have been very happy with our Quickbooks Point of Sale experience and receive very few user complaints about the system.

Pros:

The POS interface is very user-friendly, something that is important when you have users who are not computer savvy. The ability to run either a single register or multiple in a networked environment was essential for our needs. The pre-built reports are very good and offer the ability to filter/search when needed.

Cons:

We run the on-prem version as their cloud-based version does not offer all the features we need. Because of this, user management within the system is difficult if you are managing multiple locations. POS clients will sometimes have trouble seeing the POS server, resulting in us having to write batch files that allow the end-users to restart the POS server services when needed.

Recreational Facilities & Services, 11–50 Employees

Functional not pretty, gets the job done

Comments: Overall gets the job done.

Pros:

Has customization - we have a quick pick category for most commonly bought items. Has useful features like reports, storing customer info, purchase orders.

Cons:

It isn't very user friendly - have to x out of windows to get back to selling. User interface is ugly and in general a bit clunky. Could be user error... but nothing seems to scan once entered.

6 years ago

Thanks for taking the time out to leave us your honest review. While I'm glad the customization options have lent a lot to the functionality you enjoy, I want to make sure you can easily navigate the software. The Resource Center is a awesome outlet in that aspect, and there's one made for POS at https://quickbooks.intuit.com/point-of-sale/customer-resource-center/. You'll find a ton of tutorial and guided videos there, as well as advice on the small business and retail fundamentals. The info above will help streamline your workflow, but I want to make your voice is heard when it comes to your suggestions about the interface. We love hearing how we can improve, as the engineers default to customer ideas when drumming up new features. Could you send me your feedback in an email ([email protected])? I can forward your comments to the Development Team. This way, I can also take a look at the issue you've had with scanning and provide a fix one-on-one. Jess, The QuickBooks Team

Sylvia
Partner in
Retail, 2–10 Employees

QB POS great pos, horrid support, pricing that keeps wanting more

Pros:

many of the reports and report functions are great, easy to use, sensible setup. easy to use on the register as well as from the back end.

Cons:

customer support is terrible if you finally get someone, many times they made changes that ended up affecting the operations in a negative way. When, support was elevated to a higher level, many times you would never hear back from anyone. You don't just buy your license and that's it, they come out with upgrades etc. and many require you buying the newer licenses to be able to continue to function. Price is prohibitive, having to buy new licenses every 14-18 months.

Horacio
Horacio
Product Development Asst. in Honduras
, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Great POS system for small business

Pros:

I bought the simple version of Quickbooks POS and it had great features for an entry business. No limits on inventory list and great tool for customer loyalty rewarding. For being a simple version, this brings a lot of handy tools to track inventory and awesome sales report.

Cons:

Very laggy when filled inventory list with 1000+ items. Also, the online feature needed to be on the expensive version, so it didn't offer it like other POS systems do without upgrading.

Arthur
Arthur
CTO in US
Computer Software

POS enabled us to add a retail location to our distribution business, minimal time spent configuring

Comments: The intergration with QB Financials

Pros:

Ease of setup and intetgration into our QB Enterprise software. We got system setup in under an hour and was connected to QB Finance and ringing up customers with a hour and a half.

Cons:

How inventory goes into QB Financial but we developed a work around. Inventory needs to be able to use QB Finance as the main record for inventory

William

AT A LOSS!

Comments: AWEFUL, I cannot imagine how you can screw up what was a great product so badly

Pros:

QUICK SALE MENUS only only only only only

Cons:

ALL OF THE NEW WINDOWS, I had QB POS 2009 before.

Paige
Museum Store Manager in US
Fine Art, 2–10 Employees

An okay system for PC but no compatibility with mobile technology and prone to dumping data

Comments: I used Quick-books for about a year and while it was an easy system to use on the PC, I found my business needs were better met by moving to a POS system that was mobile friendly.
Quick-books has a very easy to use the system--items are tracked with a generated barcode and the system lists when the item was brought in when it was purchased last, and by whom it was purchased.
I appreciated the compatibility of the technology to be able to automatically print barcodes for our use as opposed to other Mac POS systems, and overall the system was just fine until one day, two days after the largest sale of the year for our company, I went to ring up an item and I found Quick-books had experienced a major glitch and had deleted all the inventory I had added, sold, or updated within the last two weeks. I was devastated. I had input over 2,000 new pieces (individual, one-of-a-kind pieces of art) into Quick-books for our annual holiday sale and then when I tried to secure records for the pieces sold, bought, or input, suddenly the barcodes did not work, there was no record of me having ever entered in all the new works, and I had no sales records for over 100 artists. Luckily my accountant and I, the Store Manager, had already paid out everything that was sold from the large event, but I spent hours inputting the data back in for the remaining pieces. I was confounded and furious and customer service had no answers as to why this had happened. I immediately began researching POS systems that were mobile friendly and that stored my data and records on the Cloud or other web means so that I would never again have to experience lost data. My decision to move from Quick-books was justified when, just a few weeks later, I went to another local business to buy running shoes and the saleswoman apologized for the slow checkout process, noting that overnight her entire inventory had been wiped clean from her POS. I asked what POS she used, and sure enough, Quick-books had done it to again, left someone in the lurch from unexplained dumped data.
For the price and poor customer service and unreliability, I never regretted moving from Quick-Books Point of Sale to another POS system. I now use Shopkeep and I am very happy with it.

Pros:

Very easy to use. It generates bar codes to corresponding with individual or grouped items and then displays the price, merchandiser, and all vital information in the same place for me to find. I liked to be able to track when, where, and by whom an item was brought in and then sold.

Cons:

Quick-Books was prone to glitches and to dumping, data on inventory entered. I lost over 2,000 records on new merchandise brought in for our annual holiday sale. Overnight there was no record I had ever entered, sold, or updated anything over a two-week period, the most pivotal two-week period of our year. Luckily my accountant and I had already paid the artists for their sold works, but it took hours for me to put the inventory back in and update the records. My sales records for those two weeks were also unaccounted for, and suddenly my sales were down by thousands compared with the last year. I was purchasing running shoes from another local business down the street a few weeks later and the saleswoman was having a field day trying to sell anything as overnight, same as what happened to me, Quick-books had dumped all her inventory and it had to be entered in again.

Tonya
Retail, 2–10 Employees

Quickbooks Support is Awful. Pick something else even if upfront cost is higher ( Used for 15 years

Comments: We've used Quickbooks POS and Desktop for 15 years. We just recently decided to integrate credit card processing. Our "sales rep" flat out lied about the features. Once he received our payment, he would not return calls or emails. Swell! We've upgraded to the new version 19. This process has been simply AWFUL. I have no less that 15 "case numbers". Even had our files sent to a technician. No resolution! My Staff had figured some work arounds to make the lock ups and disruptions to business less frequent. With each call I make to support I will be "disconnected" at least 2-3 times and have to start the process all over. This includes attempts to call and use the "online support" which is worse. After maybe an hour of ineffective support (I am being kind here), I will be referred to Level 2. They are always too busy at the time to assist, and "will call back". The call back DOES NOT HAPPEN. I will have to call back everyday for a week and complain before Level 2 will call. I have had Level 2 "call back appointments" promise after promise of call backs. NEVER HAPPENS These issues take away from my ability to manage my business effectively. I belong to several business groups online. I continue to say pick another POS Quickbooks is awful...just awful. Oh and the chickens and roosters in the background when talking to support...what in the world??? I've decided to give some online reviews as well so folks that want to focus on their business make a different choice even if

Pros:

Quickbooks offers one stop shopping that initially appealed to me. We use Point of Sate along with integrating into the Desktop for accounting.

Cons:

Support is worse than non existent. Integration is limited. Features promised are proprietary and more limited that promised.

Sharni
Retail

Easy to use, but not easy to upgrade

Pros:

Ease of use. It was simple to teach employees how to use the register side of it. It synchronized easily to quickbooks financial once everything was mapped.

Cons:

I could not upgrade past windows 7 on the machines that ran this product. It required I have a machine set up as a server. It cost me pretty much the full price of the product to add another register, or back end user. In order to update the product you had to buy it outright again. There was next to no updating of the product. I bought version 10 back in January of 2011 and until I stopped using it in August 2016 there was no updates. I had to buy the product again if I wanted an update. Customer support cost a lot extra per month, they would even charge you for calls when the problem was their fault. Many reports were limited. For instance, fields I would expect to be in a report simply were not there. For instance, the top customer report, had no way to put the email address into it. So what was the point of that report if you could not send them an email promo? It was not stored in the cloud, so I was limited in that the product could only be used in my store. If I wanted remote access I had to use a third party computer access product to see my POS. If you wanted integrated credit card transactions you had to use their merchant services. Their fees were higher than everyone else. I ended up saving thousands a year when I moved to another merchant processor and adding extra steps at the checkout. Once my file got big, it would lag out loading customer/inventory information. I ended up changing POS systems when we got another location and it was just going to cost too much to upgrade the product to cope with multiple locations.

susan

New version stinks!!!

Comments: My previous version was great. The newer one is not great. I actually tried to see if I could revert back to my older version but was told I cannot convert my data back!!

Pros:

My previous version was amazing! That was the whole reason I trusted that the newer version would be too but it is full of bugs, quirks and much more complicated user platform. I would not have purchased if I had known it was going to be so different.

Cons:

To set up inventory items, it takes twice as long and you have to click around way too much. I am having trouble training my employees on using the newer version effectively which puts most of the data entry burden on me which does not help my business! It regularly freezes up and I have to back out of they system and restart the program which is embarrassing and unprofessional when ringing up customers. Beware and do not purchase this version!!!

Murtaza
Assistant Manager IT in Pakistan
Restaurants, 51–200 Employees

Quickbooks POS

Pros:

We have been using this at managing our warehouse I consider QB as one of the best POS software. It does the job and doesn't disappoint in your hell-busy environment. The inventory is managed thoroughly with Quickbooks POS the retail stores are set as clients on our POS we bill to our stores which makes it very easy to track inventory and match the in-stock at the month-end just can't imagine life without QB. Features like user permissions access for users are very useful.

Cons:

The number for support doesn't work. App crashes sometimes which needs to be resolved by deleting Entitlement files.

Tanya
Manager in Turks & Caicos Islands
Leisure, Travel & Tourism, 11–50 Employees

Best for retail not service

Comments: For retail I find its great. its easy to use to enter the items we need and get through the sale

Pros:

For the retail side of the business its great for tracking inventory and sales. Ease of set was great.

Cons:

We provide a lot of services and don't want to have to run information through two systems. For services this is not great. The reports don't give the right information and the information doesn't transfer to Quickbooks accounting software to provide the information as well. We can't add classes and are struggling with running invoices. This could also be in part of lack of understanding how the systems work.

Lisa
Accountant in
Retail, 2–10 Employees

It's OK and can be worked

Comments: We are currently running Quckbooks 2008 and I do not know if newer versions of Quickbooks have improved some of the current issues

Pros:

Sort of intuitive to USE for the cashier. If set up correctly much can autofill at the time of sale.

Cons:

Can be difficult to manage in regard to mapping for uploading of information to Quickbooks financial. Some reporting can be difficult and not customizable as much I would be beneficial. We tend to export and then manipulate the data in an office document.

Daniel
Coordinator in US
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

Quickbooks Point of Sales is very easy to use and understand

Comments: My overall experience with Quickbooks Point of Sale would be that its very user friendly and anyone can learn it simply.

Pros:

what i like most about this software is the multitasking features where more users can use this software.

Cons:

What i dislike about this software is that its mostly common and use in smalls business and moderate ones.

Ken

Has Some Nice Features, But Too Many Glitches

Comments: Support is awful.

Pros:

The reports are spot on and a great time saver.

Cons:

I was not given a heads up that you have use Intuit's credit card services. Intuit is much higher than many other credit card providers. Also for the first 6 months I owned this program on occasion the software would malfunction and charge the last customer for the new customer's order.

Kevin
Owner / Operator in US

Robust but very clunky

Comments: QuickBooks POS was our original product for inventory and sales in our retail store. While it is robust and simplifies many aspects of accounting, the overall feel and look were just not conducive to everyday business operations.

Pros:

The integration between QuickBooks POS and QuickBooks itself is, as one should expect, outstanding! Both programs work exceptionally well together and make accounting very streamlined.

Cons:

The user interface is very "clunky," meaning that it is sometimes difficult to navigate. For newer users, the visual presentation is overwhelming and has a rather uncomfortable feel to it.

5 years ago

Hi there, Kevin. Thank you for sharing your review with us. It's awesome to know integrating the Point of Sale system with QuickBooks has been simple and helpful. You can rest easy knowing all of your data is organized in one space. We want to make sure you have the resources you need to easily navigate your account. The Community is a great place to start. Here, you'll find a variety of articles and advice from other users and QuickBooks Team members: https://community.intuit.com/ Wishing you continued success. Morgan, The QuickBooks Team

corey
Retail, 2–10 Employees

the product and the service are always dependable!

Comments: great customer service!

Pros:

The POS is very easy to use and navigate. Even my employees who are not super computer literate can easily use it will little to no assistance.

Cons:

I would like for upgrades to be more seamless, especially if there is a cost associated with the upgrade.

Mia
Office Manager in US
Retail, Self Employed

Easy Use

Pros:

Very Easy to use and love that I can export to excel. Reports are usually easy to use. I like that open invoices are lined up and clumped together

Cons:

I dont like that every time I open QB it doesn't go to home page, I have to close out of everything I worked on

Ed
Director of Retail Operations in US
Building Materials, 11–50 Employees

Using outdated version.

Comments: looking possibly to upgrade to V18.

Pros:

Using Quickbooks Accounting, so integrates well. Feels a lot like Quickbooks Accounting so is easy to use.

Cons:

We have V12, which is over five years old, and we could not get any help desk support for this older version.

Jessica
office manager in
Automotive, 2–10 Employees

East breezy

Pros:

Simple layout and practacal functionality , very simple to use for beginers but has everything an experienced user would want .

Cons:

Only thing i would weant to change is to have more custom options , not to many things asaid from thaty i would change