• Overall
    4.7 /5
    4.6 /5
    4.6 /5

About Shopify POS

Built for retail, Shopify POS brings your sales, inventory, customers, and more together across brick & mortar and online locations.

Learn more about Shopify POS

Megan B.
  • Reviewed on 9/2/2021

"Highly recommend"

Comments: Overall, I would refer any in person sellers to this software.

Pros: I love this software because it is so easy to deploy and operate. Also the way that the hands held card reader is shaped is very nice. The software itself integrates smoothly with my Shopify store, and it runs perfectly.

Cons: There is not anything I would change about this software as of right now. It works great and integrates well.

• Reviewed on 9/2/2021
Sierra O.
Sales Representative
  • Reviewed on 19/9/2018

"A Really Great POS"

Comments: The tracking and reporting of sales has been so much easier. I love the emails you receive after each order is processed.

Pros: We switched to this POS after switching our website to Shopify. Having all payments go through one system is so much better for our business and makes reporting so much easier. I love that it links to our website so you do not have to enter in product information twice.

Cons: There is currently nothing that I do not like about this product.

• Reviewed on 19/9/2018
Willoughby P.
Consumer Services, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 6/3/2019

"Awesome service for POS"

Comments: Using Shopify POS has made a huge impact overall in our business and customer relations. We can keep much better records and communication with both clients and customers. This makes the service well worth the price and a dire necessity to any business! Try it for one month and you’ll never use another POS system again.

Pros: Perfect system for POS! The seamless way of operating make this service a breeze to work with. As an admin you have free range to adjust your stock and service ms and much more! This ability to customize the POS system is my favorite part about Shopify.

Cons: You are limited in the free trial to what you can test. It is worth purchasing the service because without buying in, you cannot customize your system.

• Reviewed on 6/3/2019
Jonathon G.
Clerk
  • Reviewed on 28/8/2019

"POS is right"

Comments: Shopify is CREATING business problems, not solving them. Their tax tables are often wrong, meaning that their screwups are effecting our profits.

Pros: It is relatively simple to train someone on, and then to use.

Cons: The customer support is abysmal. Shopify screwed up the tax rates. This means either we could shut down until they fixed it - which took a week - or we could charge everyone less tax than we needed to collect . . . and then pay to the municipality. Shopify couldn't care less that they had screwed this up.

• Reviewed on 28/8/2019
Jennifer J.
Visitor Services Director
Museums & Institutions, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 7/1/2020

"Shopify POS with Mobile Pay Options."

Comments: It's easy to train our volunteers to use and troubleshoot. We use both the little white Shopify dip and swipe reader and the sturdier-looking black tap dip and swipe reader and have no trouble with either. Set up is easy and payments are are recorded as received on different readers, making it easier to sort the source of sales, if not the item.

Pros: Easy to set up and define products for sale at a physical store. Located on a 55 acre site, we need it about once a month in multiple locations simultaneously, so it wouldn't necessarily pay to set up connected accounts. We need it to use mobile credit card readers over wi-fi and without a dedicated phone or i-pad with a SIM card. We bought 2 refurbished ipads, 2 kinds of mobile card readers, extended the reach of our wi-fi, and we were ready to go!

Cons: Inability to set up a variable-priced item. To do this, the item must be rung in as a "Quick Sale", so there is no identification of sold products or inventory tracking.

• Reviewed on 7/1/2020
Lawrence D.
I.T. Manager
  • Reviewed on 5/3/2018

"A great POS add on if you have Shopify already as your eCommerce platform."

Pros: A really good platform addon for the Shopify eCommerce platform having all your in-store shop orders in one place along with your online orders.

Cons: the price is the only downfall I can think of. that I least like about the software. Apart from that it's great and does what it should do.

• Reviewed on 5/3/2018
Nicole W.
Director of Marketing
  • Reviewed on 21/2/2020

"Simple and straightforward"

Comments: There's definitely room for improvement with the POS system and I appreciate that it informs me when there's an update available.

Pros: I like that it links to my store pretty seamlessly and has all my customer information stored. I like the card reader as well. The life of the card reader lasts a while too.

Cons: We run a lot of promos and the POS doesn't carry over the promo codes that I created on the desktop version. Even when I input the promo code for the customer, the data doesn't carry over. A lot of the times the receipt email won't send to customers.

• Reviewed on 21/2/2020
Rebekah W.
  • Reviewed on 12/12/2018

"Easy for occasional pop ups!"

Comments: Overall, the system was quick and easy to use. When doing holiday pop ups, a fast checkout is a must! We don't use barcodes, but I love that that's an option to make it even faster. But being able to search quickly for a item and add to cart worked great. Love that the card reader is chip enabled too!

Pros: I love that I'm able to search items by title or sku.

Cons: Sometimes when I would click on Quick Sale, it wouldn't allow me to create a title for the item. I had to back out of it a couple times and try again.

• Reviewed on 12/12/2018
Silas L.
Graphic Design, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 9/12/2019

"Shopify POS"

Comments: Overall the POS was great but there were better options available.

Pros: Shopify POS is a great platform especially for keeping track of sales and customer's in real-time. The app was easy to navigate.

Cons: Using Shopify initially was not that easy, there were not as many functions and available shortcuts compared to other e-commerce platforms.

• Reviewed on 9/12/2019
Tanya C.
Maketing and Sales exec.
  • Reviewed on 7/9/2017

"My shop in the palm of my hand!"

Pros: I have my shop walking around with right on my phone, I can complete orders and take my marketing offline, speaking directly with potential customers. Completing orders for customers right away, right on my phone.

Cons: I am unable to list new items through the app, but otherwise, it works very well no bugs and I am quite happy with it.

• Reviewed on 7/9/2017
Mckay S.
Advertising Manager
Consumer Services
  • Reviewed on 13/12/2017

"This process works great. I love how it integrates the inventory amounts with my website."

Comments: It integrates with your website (assuming you use a Shopify site) so all your products are automatically in there. It will also update your inventory levels. That kind of integrations is awesome.

Pros: It is integrated with your online store. This makes it way easy if you go to a trade show and sell your products. If I sell out, my websites inventory is automatically updated. They give you a card swiper for your phone which is nice if it's not something you use everyday. The app is really quite easy to use.

Cons: The card swiper they are bad, it's really cheap or something because half the time I have to type in the card info (takes extra time, and possibly charges a higher fee). Otherwise, it's great.

• Reviewed on 13/12/2017
Allena C.
  • Reviewed on 16/12/2016

"Great app, I love it"

Comments: I love it and very easy to use. Love the fact that I can sell things online and in store with just one app.

• Reviewed on 16/12/2016
Sales Associate
Retail, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 13/2/2019

"Its okay"

Pros: Ease of use. pretty sure customers are able to check out seamlessly

Cons: the fees could be lesser. or the checkout process could be explained further

• Reviewed on 13/2/2019
Lincey V.
  • Reviewed on 2/1/2019

"Great to charge credit cards at shows and fairs"

Comments: I much prefer Shopify POS than Paypal here, Stripe and Etsy reader (I tried them all).

Pros: Easy to use, non-laggy software to process credit card payments in person. The whole catalog from my Shopify store is connected and each product can be easily added to the bill. I often use the 'Quick sale' option for fast checkouts on which we simply enter the amount to charge. Shopify sent a free credit card reader that can read chips. The charge on the reader lasts for well over a day, which is perfect when you don't have access to power.

Cons: Sometimes (rarely) my phone and the reader won't detect each other and I have to enter the credit card number manually, which isn't ideal.

• Reviewed on 2/1/2019
Stephanie M.
Inventory Manager
Consumer Goods, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 26/6/2018

"Shopify POS is easy to use and great for places with distinct items"

Pros: When using it to process payments, it's intuitive to use. Simply use the search bar to search product name or SKU and relevant products with photos comes up. It's best used for products with few variants or with detailed variants. In our cafe, it allows baristas to show all customizations of drinks right on the receipt which increases efficiency in our store. We can also adjust what tax applies on each order or product in the order, and can create discounts on the spot. Also, it offers a 'quick sale' function which allows the staff member to add a product without going to the back end of the system. Additionally, customers can be added to the order meaning that our stored customer information can be added once the customer is ready for checkout. This is particularly useful when some customers have credits on their accounts, or have tax-free status.

Cons: While searching, even if the whole SKU is put in, Shopify POS (in its tile view) will only show the product, not the variant within it. Also, it doesn't show the SKU unless you press and hold the product image. This can be time-consuming and can sometimes lead to staff accidentally selecting the wrong product, despite knowing the exact SKU of the product they were looking for. Also, if our wifi ever disconnects in the store, the POS on the ipads is rendered useless. There should be some way of temporarily logging orders placed while offline then uploading them to the system. And since the latest update, it takes about 4 steps to let a customer pay once the order has been input if they are paying with debit/credit since we use external terminals.

• Reviewed on 26/6/2018
Patent Draftsman
  • Reviewed on 6/12/2017

"Shopify is by far the best shopping cart I've every used, and the POS is no exception."

Comments: It's constantly saving us money. With Shopify POS we don't have to spend anything extra for the POS support that connects into our existing shopping cart.

Pros: VALUE. Shopify allowed us to have a free developer account to test and work through our hesitations before paying a penny for the cart. The POS system comes with the cart for free, it works flawlessly on any apple device, I haven't tried the android offering, but I'm sure it's great as well. The account comes with multiple logins for managing employees with specified permissions for keeping eyes and fingers out of places they shouldn't be. And to top it all off it has a fantastic API connection that allows us to connect it to our Fishbowl Inventory Management system, which brings in the orders from both cart and POS and sorts the inventory out, handles the shipping with shipstation, posts back tracking and fulfills the orders in shopify and all the while capturing all the financial data in QB. I could seriously fire multiple employees for all the time and work this automation is doing for me.

Cons: If I had to complain it would be that there are some things you can't customize that you might be able to with one of the self hosted carts such as magento, woocommerce, or even magento 2.

• Reviewed on 6/12/2017
Scotty H.
  • Reviewed on 3/12/2019

"Shopify's POS Software makes our in-person events happen"

Comments: My overall experience with the POS software has been extremely positive. I have only had issues when I've brought the POS Hardware into the equation with faulty and unreliable bluetooth pairing.

Pros: What I like most about the software is the ability to use it in a few different ways. During an event, I can use the search feature to add the actual product to the shopping cart for better inventory keeping, or I can do a "quick sale" and just enter the total amount for custom orders. I really like the flexibility there.

Cons: The pairing of the software and the hardware (credit card reader, in this case) is spotty at best. There are a lot of times that we have to manually enter CC information because we can't get the bluetooth pairing to work correctly. Would love a physical "docking" ability as a failsafe.

• Reviewed on 3/12/2019
Lidia C.
Marketing Manager
Retail, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 13/3/2020

"Great Option for Our Business"

Pros: Shopify POS is our main POS system for a large retail space. Easy to use and train all staff. Easy to integrate with other systems.

Cons: The Shopify shop is a bit too templated as well as the products. Need quite a few extensions to modify and customize products.

• Reviewed on 13/3/2020
Jessi O.
Boutique owner
  • Reviewed on 21/2/2019

"Satisfied"

Pros: It makes it very easy for us to keep our inventory up to date while we are at events, and makes checking customers out very smooth.

Cons: We seem to have issues with our Shopify card reader when we’re at events. It will quit working and then we have to manually enter card numbers, which takes longer and charges a higher fee.

• Reviewed on 21/2/2019
Pamela A.
  • Reviewed on 18/7/2017

"Excellent E-Commerce Program"

Pros: We love everything about Shopify. It's easy to use. Allows us to check out customers at our retail store or out at an event when we use our iPad Mini.

Cons: We had not had any real problems with Shopify. Occasionally when an update was done we had to change a couple settings.

• Reviewed on 18/7/2017
James L.
Operations Manager
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 26/9/2019

"Makes selling items at events super easy!"

Comments: Over all it really makes selling items at events really easy and quick!

Pros: I like how each product is laid out in a tile with the image on the front. It makes it very easy to identify the product and add it to the cart.

Cons: It would be great if we could customize products with in the the app. It and adjust the taxes being charged.

• Reviewed on 26/9/2019
Joe B.
Director of Technology
  • Reviewed on 25/1/2018

"Great for Most People, But Could Use More Work to be World-Class"

Pros: Ability to take orders on iPad or phone at conventions and other physical brick-and-mortar locations. Of course, being able to tie into our online store directly is a great plus, as well.

Cons: No "offline" orders, so it always requires some sort of Internet connection, so you need to either be near a wifi hotspot, or have a cellular connection. And, of course, if your connection has drops and other issues, orders may not sync correctly with your Shopify store. Also, GUI could use some work in terms of flow and process. Additionally, the ability to use the phone or iPad camera as barcode scanner would be of great benefit, instead of having to purchase another peripheral to worry about.

• Reviewed on 25/1/2018
Alexa R.
Ecommerce and Marketing
Textiles, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 19/8/2019

"Used for Good Morning America"

Comments: many users on the site at once and not having to worry about the website crashing

Pros: Easy to navigate in the backend; can handle many users on the website at once; great customer service to reach out to

Cons: had to add on an exporter to download orders in a certain fashion - this created errors for our internal team

• Reviewed on 19/8/2019
Arts Grant Writer
Consumer Goods, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 25/10/2018

"Great point of connection from the office to the retail store"

Pros: Shopify POS simplifies the Shopify app for the sake of in-person transactions in a smooth and aesthetically pleasing way. Easy to use for our sales associates and reads well to customers.

Cons: Lacks some of the features (editing and exchanges) that would be useful in-store.

• Reviewed on 25/10/2018
Megan J.
Creative Associate
  • Reviewed on 17/7/2018

"Easy to use interface and makes the workday day go by easily"

Comments: Makes having multiple storefront locations easy by having a uniform look and experience

Pros: I like how easy to use this software is, you could genuinely dive right in and have few questions about how the app works. It makes having multiple store locations easy.

Cons: That everything is connected through Bluetooth... if one thing goes down, my whole system goes down and can take a few minutes to get back running which causes clients to be upset.

• Reviewed on 17/7/2018