15 years helping Irish businesses

About SugarCRM

SugarCRM is one of the world's leading CRM solutions, ideal for organisations with between 50 to 5,000 employees across all industries.

Learn more about SugarCRM

Pros:

That's always a good thing. At first glance, it seemed like it would be easy to use and an inexpensive fix to a client tracking problem in a new division.

Cons:

A bit difficult to install and set but in the end I did it.

SugarCRM ratings

3.6
3.7
3.8
3.8

6.8/10

SugarCRM has an overall rating of 3.8 out 5 stars based on 411 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used SugarCRM before?

Micheal
Micheal
Business Owner in Canada
Construction, 11–50 Employees

SugarCRM is the best and will always be the best.

Comments: Awesome experience, and I would recommend them to others.

Pros:

I like how easy it is to find the information I am looking for from projects, leads and contacts

Cons:

The cost would be the least I like about the software, but it is still a very good price, not the worst and it could always be a bit cheaper.

Johannsen
Johannsen
Senior Consultant in Philippines
Information Technology & Services, 11–50 Employees

Perfect for business process automation

Comments: Overall, I would recommend SugarCRM to businesses that are looking for a CRM solution that can automate their processes and provide customization options. While there may be some upfront costs and a learning curve involved, the benefits of using SugarCRM are likely to outweigh these considerations in the long run.

Pros:

Automation capabilities: SugarCRM has a range of automation features that can help businesses streamline their processes and save time. For example, it can automatically assign tasks and follow-up actions to team members, send personalized emails and alerts, and track and report on progress.Customization options: SugarCRM allows users to tailor the platform to their specific needs and processes. This is great for businesses that have unique workflow requirements or want to integrate the CRM with their existing systems.Scalability: SugarCRM can accommodate businesses of all sizes, from small startups to large enterprises. It offers a variety of pricing plans and can be customized to meet the needs of different teams and departments.Integration with other tools: SugarCRM can be integrated with a wide range of tools, including email, calendars, and social media. This makes it easy for businesses to track and manage customer interactions across multiple channels.

Cons:

Cost: SugarCRM can be on the pricier side, especially for smaller businesses or those with limited budgets. However, it's worth considering the long-term benefits of automating business processes and the ROI that the platform can provide.Learning curve: While SugarCRM is generally easy to use, it does have a bit of a learning curve. It may take some time for users to get comfortable with all of the features and functions of the platform.

Finan
Sales Manager in US
Real Estate, 51–200 Employees

Why SugarCRM Meets Our Needs

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

With lead management and marketing automation features, we have all what we need for a marketing solution of its class.

Cons:

SugarCRM has served us religiously and complaints.

Jon
CRM Admin in US
Financial Services, 201–500 Employees

SugarCRM Enterprise Analysis

Comments: Being an open source CRM app with flexible deployment options makes SugarCRM unique and a standalone in the CRM space. However, allowing for such flexibility should require the utmost discipline regarding release schedules, changes to code (especially caching mechanisms), and overall system recommendation documentation provided by SugarCRM, the company. This is not currently happening.
Stock code base is fairly solid but when customizations are added, significant caching issues arise. There are also various areas of the app that still retain antiquated layouts (bwc modules). These issues make the app confusing and unreliable at times.
Support should be more tenacious when attempting to find resolution to cases - don't just post a note or two, wait a period of time and close the case. CALL the customer - email the customer - do whatever it takes to get CONFIRMATION from the customer that the issue is resolved.
Create a server side integration to Outlook...we are a 50/50 Mac/PC shop and email archiving is incredibly inconsistent.
Overall Studio is a great tool (when caching works appropriately). It does allow us to create without developers on staff.

Pros:

Studio (when it works) Open source flexibility

Cons:

Caching mechanisms Lack of long term release schedule and small version life cycles Support not owning the initiative of resolving cases

SugarCRM Response

7 years ago

John, First off, thanks for being a long time Sugar user. Kasasa's use case is very in-depth and a model of what our flexible platform can achieve. Regarding the server-side email - have you looked at Riva? https://sugarexchange.sugarcrm.com/apps/21848#!overview Also, I know we are working on server-side versions of the Outlook plugin, but release date is TBD. Thanks again for your honest and thorough review - we always strive to make the product the best we can and provide the level of service you expect. Email me at any time to discuss further at [email protected]. Sincerely, Martin Schneider Head of Product Evangelism, SugarCRM

Clinton
Human Resource Manager in US
Machinery, 1,001–5,000 Employees

SugarCRM Has Been Making Work Easier for Us

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

SugarCRM has been an effective and easy to use customer relationship management tool. I like the efficiency of SugarCRM.

Cons:

The features of SugarCRM are effective. SugarCRM has been the best.

Orianne
Orianne
Specialist Marketing in Spain
Telecommunications, 10,000+ Employees

Most powerful and easy-to-use CRM to support all corporate sales and marketing activities

Comments: With SugarCRM, I keep track of new campaigns (account management), I am regularly reminded that I have performance discussions with my customers and I can switch to the corresponding customer account to find all the important data and get in touch with the customer. In addition, thanks to the ticket system, I do not forget to work on important tasks for my customers and other projects. In addition, I can optimally and smoothly inform my teammates about changes utilizing comments and notes in the customer accounts. All in all, I can only say that it is a super complete CRM solution.

Pros:

What I like most are the synergy effects of the use of the tool by our large sales teams spread over several locations (in Spain and abroad) and our various marketing teams. We combine all customer contact points in an extremely flexible way across all departments. This simplifies our internal communication and knowledge exchange among ourselves, as well as communication with customers. The interface can be used very intuitively for an extensive CRM system thanks to its focus on a single clear navigation bar. In addition, the tool can be linked very flexibly with other systems via APIs, such as SAP, various campaign management tools, and much more.

Cons:

It isn't easy to become familiar with all the relevant interface features in a short time to take full advantage of these synergies. Here, you must explore using patience and occasionally, trial and error. However, you will certainly behave similarly to other enterprise-level CRM solutions.

Tom
Customer Experience Manager in US
Chemicals, 51–200 Employees

Lots of bugs, terrible customer support. Spend a little more for something that works.

Comments: You get what you pay for. It's an average platform with some significant drawbacks that aren't realized until you've signed on the line and are trying to onboard it. We use Sage as our base platform and had intended to use Sugar to allow our teams to work in one system and have it communicate with Sage. In theory, this saves us time, entering data in one window instead of multiple tabs in Sage. However, in many instances, Sugar cannot write to Sage. That's a one-way street, so many tasks still require manual entry in Sage. It's also very clunky. The data refreshes/synchs very slowly, so you're rarely looking at real-time data. It will refresh and reload pages while you're actively working in them, deleting your progress and forcing you to start the process over. Creating dashboards and reports requires the user to be literate in tech talk and computer logic. Trying to navigate the back end to find the data you're looking for takes ages. I haven't even tried playing with the workflow builder because I can't find the time to teach myself how to build a report or dashboard, much less anything more complex. We have identified numerous shortcomings, but when we contact Sugar Support, they tell us it's a bug they're working on with no timetable for a solution. Apparently, there are a LOT of bugs.

Pros:

The system is easy to use in theory. The UI is decent and processes are intuitive. The price point is attractive since the company boasts that it parallells other higher-priced options in features and functionality. The onboarding was fairly simple and adjusting to the system was not difficult.

Cons:

Customer service is abysmal. Our original contract included six limited use licenses designed to let our leadership team review content across all areas of the system (able to view all, but not edit certain elements). However, they did not work as promised and we ultimately had to purchase the more expensive licenses to allow our team access. When we made the purchase, the team at Sugar deactviated all other licenses on our account, despite the fact that we were only half way through our annual contract, which we'd already paid for. I tried calling their domestic customer support line and got voicemail. I eventually reached technical support via email, who had to relay my request to another department. Our business was effectively offline for half a day while this was sorted out and our access was restored. Two weeks later, I received an EMAIL from our Customer Success rep. She apologized for her late response and asked me to outline the issue. I did so and requested a call to discuss the incident. I never received another follow-up email, much less a phone call. Between bugs with the licenses, bugs with the search/filter, email issues, and zero customer support, I cannot understate how disappointed I am in this purchase and this company as a whole.

Eric R
Eric R
Chief Product Officer in US
Facilities Services, 11–50 Employees

Sugar CRM is inexpensive, functional and quite dated

Pros:

Sugar CRM is a functional CRM that works reasonably well for tech-minded folks who don't mind getting used to its unappealing interface. It has the basic tools and functionality one would expect from a CRM and some of the integrations are solid (for data imports primarily).

Cons:

The interface feels old and doesn't give the user much power to reconfigure it to work in a way that will help the user's specific needs. The marketing automation integrations are clunky, too.

Hanane
Freelance in Morocco
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed

Task management

Comments: A very wonderful experience and still like you

Pros:

The application is easy to use and provides a range of great services and features for Customer Relationship Management .

Cons:

The difficulty of using this application from a mobile phone

Perez
Sales Manager in US
Automotive, 1,001–5,000 Employees

An Easy to Understand CRM Solution

5.0 last month New

Pros:

It is so easy to understand the features of SugarCRM. SugarCRM is so amazing.

Cons:

I do not see difficulties when using SugarCRM.

Joe
Help Desk Coordinator in US
Computer Software, 11–50 Employees

Great For Sales and Leads Tracking, Leaves Much to Be Desired with Support Case Management

Comments: I've used SugarCRM a great deal in current and previous employers, and have always been thrilled with the sales tools that SugarCRM has, and the great ability for customizations, not to mention the continuing updates for each version. Their customer support team is top notch and very helpful for the most part, and there has been very little downtime, allowing all our teams to use the product successfully. If I could choose one thing they could improve upon, it would be their outdated case management tools. I work with our support team and find the options to be limiting compared to other case management solutions such as Zendesk (which I have also used previously). If I am to point out glaring specifics, it would be tracking visibility on unassigned cases (who is viewing each case record? has the case record been updated while I've viewed it?). It would also be the absolute poor setup of getting cases into Sugar -- we have an inbox set to automatically add in cases, but if a customer or one of our personnel doesn't email directly from inside Sugar's Email module, it creates a new case ticket (over and over). This may be a byproduct of the way we have our case management set up, but there are no best practices, and I've had to create custom Process Author tools and Workflows to get it running in a decent way. Again, the product is great from a sales point of view and for lead tracking tools, but the case management tools are dated and need to be examined and looked at to match their competitors in that category.

Pros:

Sales tools, lead tracking tools, reporting features are second to none Module builder is fantastic and very customizable.

Cons:

Case management tools are lacking to a high degree, very dated

CEO in US
Computer Networking, 2–10 Employees

Bargain paid open source CRM with lots of power

Comments: In my opinion, one of the top two open source CRM apps. A responsive web interface which works the same on all smartphones tablets laptops and desktop computers, no app required. The CRM of choice used by many upstart aggressive disruptive companies of all sizes. Highly cost effective, and expandable with tons of third party PHP modules available from the SugarOutfitters app store, such as connectors to your phone system, document system, marketing automation, reports, social media, etc. A complete bargain when compared with the usual salesforce which runs inside a restricted environment. Way more customizable because you have the wide ranging freedom of adding the latest innovations of PHP code to strengthen and automate your CRM.

Pros:

Open source roots. Benefits from the rising tide of PHP innovations which let you keep up to date by adding new modules for a very affordable prices. There is a massive community of PHP developers available to help build custom modules for you for cheap prices, if you don't have PHP programming skills.

Cons:

It can take some time to get used to how to use it. Also, it's too bad the free SugarCRM CE (Community Edition) version 6.5.25 is somewhat outdated, and updated only to fix security bugs. Although, it's about 75% the same features as the paid current version of SugarCRM Pro 7.8.

Clint
Head of Sales in US
Computer Software, 51–200 Employees

Don't settle for SugarCRM

Pros:

SugarCRM was fairly easy to get base-level reporting created, and without any training.

Cons:

The mobile aspect is quite lacking... not good for a leader/manager who wants to check detailed data on the go or away from the office. We had a full-time SugarCRM admin onsite, and even he had trouble creating the level of detail we needed. Our requests weren't unique, we learned, when another software CRM was able to immediately handle them right out of the box.

Dominic
Systems Architect in US
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

A good open source CRM, but lacking modernization

Comments: It allowed us as a small business to track, bill, and market to our customers and potential customers.

Pros:

Of course you can't beat free when it comes to software. There are so many open-source applications out there that you can almost always find one that meets your needs in this day and age. SugarCRM has been around a long time and has become a mature CRM with all the basics you'd expect. It even handles customization fairly well. Dashboards are great for tracking the simply stuff and you can build your own as well.

Cons:

SugarCRM has now split into 2 tracks. There's a paid-for premium version that is typically hosted by SugarCRM. Then there's the Community Edition that's still open-source and free. For years they co-existed side-by-side perfectly fine, but a few years back, SugarCRM decided to stop updating the Community Edition. CE is eternally stuck on version 6.5. And then in April 2018, they've removed it entirely so now you're stuck with the Pro or Enterprise editions which are paid-for.

LINDA
LINDA
Sales Marketing Manager in Japan
Automotive, 10,000+ Employees

Very versatile user interface and report generation features are wonderful

Comments: It is quite simple to get started. The search engine is fantastic. It allows us to easily manage a large amount of information. The database system may quickly copy the data to some other servers. It is connected with email and is particularly useful for receiving email updates. Several third-party technologies, like Act-On, can be integrated.

Pros:

Dashboard collaboration now makes business-critical data accessible to those who require it. The total features ensured that the common perception of a CRM will now shift from a pragmatic, reviewable database to an operational, process-driven platform which will save time, generate benefits, and, as the motto states, "Do the job for you."

Cons:

The user interface is not very inviting. The customer experience is mediocre. It does not allow for multiple device logins. As a result, it might be difficult to use occasionally. The smartphone app should be improved, since it does not feel up to all the same grade and appears to be a mistake. Keep in mind that many customers are out in the workplace and may not always be seated beside a pc.

Phil
Managing Partner in US
Real Estate, 2–10 Employees

Great at first but degrades over time

Pros:

We could customize it in-house without paying a lot of outside consulting fees

Cons:

Storage space is an issue and your forced to buy more storage even when its Sugar's temp files building up.

Machinery, 11–50 Employees

Review of SugarCRM

Comments: Databases are complete and it definitely solved some issues with sales pipeline tracking. The software is extremely expensive to customize using certified Sugar partners, it's not intuitive enough to customize in-house. The system does not do everything that was advertised to us

Pros:

There is a lot of potential here, it is possible to create automated business processes, highly customizable reports, and creates high visibility of sales pipeline.

Cons:

You really need to be a basic-intermediate level programmer to customize this software in house. Sales rep told us the mobile app would auto log both incoming and outgoing calls. There is no way to auto-log incoming calls and it will only auto-log outgoing calls if you use the app to make the call. In addition the training provided was not comprehensive and going to an outside company to assist with problems, set up or any other technical support is extremely expensive. They give you just enough rope to hang yourself.

Nathan
Project Manager in US
Business Supplies & Equipment, 51–200 Employees

Good CRM Tool - Self hosted using a Windows/SQL stack.

Comments: It has worked well and really empowered our sales process. For the first time, we are able to easily see where a pursuit is in the sales process. Overall, it has increased our team selling and made communication more efficient across the selling team. Sugar has a good base and framework to build out marketing automation, which is driving better market awareness and sales than before.

Pros:

Sugar is easily customized and the option to host on-site is not available by a lot of other CRM providers. We are able to synchronize a lot of data from our existing business software easily by directly accessing the SQL database. With the cloud version, we would have had to write code utilizing the CRM API to synchronize everything. Building all of that would have been significantly more expensive for us. From both the Admin and user perspectives, the software is very easy to learn and intuitive. Our users are very happy with the new software and easy it is to use.

VP - Business Development in US
Insurance, 11–50 Employees

Awesome product for any business.

Comments: I have been using SugarCRM for several companies. What stood out to me is the functionality you are getting right out of the box you are getting everything you need for the fraction of competitor's price. I would rate customer support 6 stars, they are always on top, extremely fast, and even providing you with the solutions for 3rd party applications. Another big thing is ability easily integrate SugarCRM with your own applications or install custom plugins. API functionality is quite impressive and easy to use, we have done a lot of integrations and automation in our company. I recommend SugarCRM to everyone who wants to take his/her business to the next level, and actually see what is happening in the organization, and why.

Pros:

Functionality and API is impressing

Cons:

UI is slow for 2017. Need to speed up the response time.

Yeni
Yeni
Product Engineer in Nigeria
Computer Software

We re-engineered Sugar to work with our sales process.

Pros:

SugarCRM makes it easy for the sales department to save information about customers and clients ,and follow up with service cases.Fantastic customer support team ,and as administrator,I am glad at how helpful the SugarCRM team has been to me over the years. SugarCRM is open source too,and thus we have been able to tweak this Customer Relationship Management system ,to fit into our current business environment and in-house sales process.And I think this is the best part of this CRM.

Cons:

Average user interface. However since it is an open source solution ,it is probably very much expected.

Chad
Digital Print Expert in US
Printing, 51–200 Employees

We started using the basic online software and built it up from there. Use is up as are sales.

Comments: We understand more about the daily activities of traveling and phone based salespeople and can be regularly updated with notes. Tech work is easily tracked and shared company wide instead of being branch based. Email and phone lists are easily generated to focus on specific groups.

Pros:

Both salespeople and management are able to use the information generated to increase sales and look for new opportunities.

Cons:

Not being a programmer, it can sometimes take a lot of work to tweak the program to specific ideas. Integrating old information that is not in Sugar categories had to be done manually and took a lot of time, but it was worth the effort.

Leah
Tech Support in US
Wholesale, 51–200 Employees

I like SugarCRM, we use it in my workplace for many applications

Comments: An easy way for a business to manage their customers. It can be as custom or out of the box as they want to make it.

Pros:

I like that I can add lots of features and functionality myself, including whole new custom modules. As my workplace deals with lots of custom items Sugar fills our custom needs. Our reseller has been fantastic in keeping that custom functionality.

Cons:

I dislike that we are able to edit default field formulas at all without an easy "restore." I think this makes it easy for a developer to make a small mistake that can cause the instance to stop being "upgrade safe." I wish customizing the color, notifications and "logos" were easy to change in an ondemand instance. I also want the global search function to be more consistent.

François
DBA in Canada
Pharmaceuticals, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Free has value

Comments: Great tool to manage relations with customers and follow-ups, brought some visibility where it was lacking.

Pros:

Extremely configurable, vastly customizable, lots of modules available, large online community, free version.

Cons:

The only sad part about it is that all the captions used for drop-down lists (Or radio buttons or any multiple choice controls) are stored straight to PHP pages and not in the database (So in MySql you end up having only keys but no trace of the long values). There is some workaround (Nightly job to extract and copy those in a table), but it's a hassle.

Ryan
Technician in US
Computer Software, 2–10 Employees

Very Customizable CRM software.

Comments: We use CRM to track our sales leads, current customer support and create mass mailing lists. It is a very powerful tool when used correctly.

Pros:

It is a very robust systems that can be used for tracking customer support, sales and contact management.

Cons:

Because of it customizable nature, it can be set up incorrectly by the end user. For this reason, it is very important to have someone in house that is very Sugar savvy to ensure it works the way you need it to. When updates are delivered, it commonly knocked us down for a few days while we implemented changes to make everything work again.

Solutions Specialist in US

Lot of tinker around and slow hosting

Comments: It was a great place to store leadscontacts/and track opportunity pipelines

Pros:

It has very comprehensive help docs and the answer was always available. It offered a lot of customization with little experience in managing CRM.s

Cons:

It was very very slow when running through Sugar's own servers. We had to pay a 3rd party to host this elsewhere which was lame because we were not managing very many people of leads. Not ideal for cold calling, it was pretty clunky to track many calls per day. Some of the more intense marketing automation stuff was not very intuitive, they made up a lot of their own language and had some annoying steps to get things done that were not always clear.