15 years helping Irish businesses

About DbVisualizer

The modern SQL client and db tool for devs, DBAs and analysts.

Learn more about DbVisualizer

Pros:

Cons:

I do wish when importing from a file it gave a bit more info in what is failing if applicable.

DbVisualizer ratings

4.6
4.7
4.7
4.8

9.3/10

DbVisualizer has an overall rating of 4.8 out 5 stars based on 96 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used DbVisualizer before?

Dominik
Dominik
Senior Software Engineer in Germany
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

after all that years....

Comments: Extremely helpful on a day to day base for typical software developments needs

Pros:

- SQL auto completion- runs on Windows and MacOS- Navigate within the relational database schema

Cons:

missing some UI customizations and preferencies

Stephen
Stephen
Senior Data Wrangler in US

DBVis for Analysts

Comments: I've had a great experience using this product. We continue to use it, even after 4 years.

Pros:

I think the software is very easy to install and get going quickly. I helped choose the product for my team and picked it over many others, even the free ones! It works great for querying and updating data.

Cons:

The free version is good but lacks a ton of power. You have to upgrade to the pro version to get most of the functionality that an analyst team needs.

Kim
Professional Research Associate in US
Research, 501–1,000 Employees

Great tool that keeps on improving

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

I've been using dbvis for almost 20 years. It is reliable, has all the features I need, and keeps on improving to support more server types and add new features. I like its ability to build queries with column aids, to run large queries when necessary, to keep track of many database connections, and to run explain plan queries with visualization.

Cons:

No problems really. I've stuck with it for a long time even though there are numerous competitors.

Computer Software, 501–1,000 Employees

Fullt functional multi-platform database client

Comments: Overall DbVisualizer has become a staple in my toolbox because I am able to access different platform databases without having to switch between the vendor-provided tools. It has many of the features that I need and would gain by using the other tools.

Pros:

The ability to connect to a database-independent of platform from a single tool is the biggest reason for my use of DbVisualizer. The tool provides a single tool that can query or inspect the database structure.

Cons:

There is not much to dislike about the tool, but it would be nice to have the option to export to Excel. The export feature is something that I do use regularly and being able to get data into Excel for business users to consume would be helpful.

Deepak
Technology Director in UK
Computer Software, 11–50 Employees

DbVisualizer is a fantastic tool for a Database developer or DBA

Comments: Overall experience is very good, I am loving it.

Pros:

Database diagrams and exporting results to multiple different formats

Cons:

Not having autocomplete for stored procedures

Director, Data Engineering in US
Computer Software, 51–200 Employees

John Butler Review

Comments: Good

Pros:

The many connectors it has. The Snowflake connector is a particularly important one for us.The UI is simple, intuitive and familiar

Cons:

Nothing major. We have been able to work around limitations

Merlin
Senior Data Engineer in Finland
Computer Software, 501–1,000 Employees

One tool to rule all database connections!

Pros:

I have been using DbVisualizer for the past 5 years and I have been quite accustomed with it so much that I do not look elsewhere. Whenever I change companies, I immediately recommend using this tools to others. Easy to use and has a lot of capabilities a database user needs

Cons:

There can be minor issues when upgrade happens. Once after upgrade, all my connections were lost, and there were no backups found. I had to recreate them from scratch again. As a learning, I do upgrade often, and when I do, I take a backup of all the connections first.

Keith
President in US
Computer Software, Self Employed

An excellent, full-featured, and intuitive database tool.

Comments: I've been a user for more than a decade, and can't imagine life without DBVisualizer. It not only saves me time, it helps protect the data from any accidental actions.

Pros:

The feature set is remarkable, and an excellent value. Especially useful and robust are the data import/export features and the data and database structure editing tools.

Cons:

In many years I have not had any problems or complaints.

Daryl
Product Director in US

Using DB Visualizer in a multiple DB environment

Comments: I have been using DbViz for many years and it has always supported the databases I need to connect to and made it incredibly easy to connect to them.

Pros:

Packed full of useful features and has always been able to connect to thje databases I need to connect to

Cons:

There is nothing in the product that I have actively disliked or had problems with

CISO in US
Security & Investigations, 501–1,000 Employees

I really want a T Shirt!

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Comments: Support is the best in all of the land!

Pros:

Once connected the manipulation and visualization of data were remarkable, making hacking together essential data a breeze.

Cons:

Finding a connector for Elastic and getting Elastic to work in AWS

Senior Backend Engineer in US
Computer Software, 11–50 Employees

Long time user - haven't seen anything better

Comments: I have been using DbVisualizer for over 10 years, keeping up with updates along the way. I have I tried out most of the similar universal database client tools, but nothing compares with DbVisualizer.

Pros:

Provides a common interface to many different databases. Easy to use.

Cons:

One feature I would like to see added is the ability to run an external shell command whenever I connect or disconnect to a database.

Edward
Director of Software Development & Integration in US
Food Production, 10,000+ Employees

Great Product

Comments: I have been using this product for over 5 years. I searched for a long time, tried many other products but once I found DbVisualizer my search was over. I even prefer and use this over MySQL’s Workbench.

Pros:

This is my go to product for dealing with our MySQL instances which host our data warehouse. It has everything I need and it is simple to use. I do not think I have ever referenced the help for DbVisualizer.

Cons:

I would like to see the ability to deal with user accounts and permissions added.

Mauri
Development Manager in Finland
Computer & Network Security, 51–200 Employees

The only professional software that I'm ready pay from my own pocket

Comments: I can access Microsoft SQL server, Postgresql and Mariadb/mysql with the same tool. It can found the metadata and data definitions of all of them. I can't even remember how many years I've used it but I use it for my hobby projects at home and my work projects at work. It is awesome.

Pros:

I like the license, I can install this to all the environments I use to access databases and it is both allowed and possible.

Cons:

I hate the "new" functionality of home-key. It doesn't get you back to the start of the line - unless you are "pasting".

Christian
IT Engineer in Germany
Consumer Goods, 201–500 Employees

Small review

Pros:

First use of dbvis was pretty simple, even with adding and configuring JDBC for Informix. I really like the possibility to run a sql in an automated script.

Cons:

The way to set up a network folder as a bookmark folder could be simpler

Edwin
BI Consultant in Australia
Hospital & Health Care, 11–50 Employees

It gets the job done

Comments: Overall this is a great tool to use and it's gets the job done with any fuzz.

Pros:

The integration with different databases are easy. I used this tool to connect toVertica, MariaDB, and SQL. I don't have to open another tool to connect to different databases which is very convenient. The code them color customization is also a nice feature.

Cons:

The code auto completion can be improved to make it more intuitive

Valentyn
Solution Architect in Germany
Information Technology & Services, 11–50 Employees

Everything you need to work with any SQL database

Comments: I use DbVis for database administration tasks (create users, roles, database objects) as well for writing SQL queries and run complex data analysis.

Pros:

It supports almost all SQL databases, which have jdbc driver. As a person who works with 10th of different databases, I can organize connections and all my scripts properly.

Cons:

It could consume less memory, but it's written in Java, so I can not expect that much.

Bernhard
CTO in Germany
Computer Software, 2–10 Employees

The advanced SQL Managment Studio

Comments: We are using DbVis on a daily base, to homologize the use of software. One tool fits it all.

Pros:

Its intuitive to use and allows more over the GUI than other software. Its a breeze to use this solution for multiple DBs of Type (pgSQL/MSSQL).

Cons:

A bit difficult is the use of the Java Connectors. Some do not give all possibilities of the vendors ODBC driver.

Information Technology & Services, 10,000+ Employees

DbVisualizer really does the job!

Comments: Greatly appriciate the software, have been using it for the last 8 years on and off, and I wouldn't be without it when handling databases

Pros:

I like the GUI and the way you can manage multiple databases in a click!

Cons:

Double clicking on the database should start the run SQL command window rather than showing connection information of the DB

Frank
Sr System programmer in Netherlands
Banking, 10,000+ Employees

Best universal DBMS GUI ever

Comments: Introduced it at Rabobank via my personal license and then they to opted for a corporate license

Pros:

Ease of use and rich functionality a.o. the Monitor function

Cons:

Actually i could think of any function I miss

Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Pros:

DB Visualizer is very easy to use. It's great that you can save your queries and even if the software is closed and you had forgotten to save the query, it will remember it when the software loads.

Cons:

Sometimes the software performs slow with many open queries.

Scott
CTO in US
Information Services, 11–50 Employees

My Go-To Tool

Pros:

I've been using DbVisualizer for over 10 years. Across multiple companies and across multiple roles, it's my preferred tool for looking at the database.

Cons:

The UI was always OK at best, but recent updates have turned that around entirely.

Rob
Operations Director in UK
Management Consulting, 2–10 Employees

You don't have to be a genuis to use this

Comments: Love it, use it - it will be your best Data friend.

Pros:

I'm definately no SQL geek but I always get what I need out of DbVis. Support info is great, with a bit of internent searching and I've got some very impressing reports. Pro version is a must to get what you need stress free.

Cons:

There is a bit of learning curve ... but so is there to switch on the TV.

Vivek
Vivek
Director in UK
Computer Software, Self Employed

Best multiple DB engines supported tool

Pros:

* The ability to support multiple database.* Quick UI based representation of table relationships.* Great visualizations to reverse engineer schema

Cons:

* The ability of no having SQL competition

Andrei
Director IT in Canada
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 51–200 Employees

The tool that keeps on giving

Pros:

I have to connect to multiple databases every day, from SQL to DB2 and it's great that I can do it under one interface.

Cons:

I would like a faster way to export data to csv.

bill
Principal Software Engineer in US
Hospital & Health Care, 501–1,000 Employees

New to DbVisualizer

Comments: DbVisualizer is a great tool for a developer.

Pros:

I was able to get DbVisualizer up and running very quickly. The interface is intuitive and I didn't need to consult documentation until I need more advanced features such as variables.

Cons:

Creating and editing connections could be easier to use, but I don't do that very often.