15 years helping Irish businesses

Adobe Captivate Reviews

About Adobe Captivate

Course authoring solution that helps businesses create e-learning projects by managing content, images, audios/videos, and more.

Learn more about Adobe Captivate

Pros:

It integrated easily with other Adobe audio products for enhanced audio editing. Captivate does include limited audio editing tools, just enough to be handy.

Cons:

You can jump right in without training but you can miss a lot of the perks that Captivate offers.

Adobe Captivate ratings

4.3

7.6/10

Adobe Captivate has an overall rating of 4.5 out 5 stars based on 206 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Adobe Captivate before?

eLearning Designer and Developer in Canada
E-Learning, Self Employed

Adobe Captivate is the Cornerstone of My eLearning Business

Comments: I started using Adobe Captivate with version 2. It was okay but obviously there was room for it to improve. At the time of writing this review, Captivate is on version 11 and it has matured into a robust solution. I will continue to use it for all my professional eLearning work for as long as they continue to make it available.

Pros:

I have been using Adobe Captivate since the mid-2000s. Each release has brought new and innovative features that allow me to continue to impress my clients. Features like virtual reality and interactive video make Adobe Captivate the industry leader in eLearning Authoring tools

Cons:

A complicated piece of software means that the learning curve is steep but the reward is that in return it does so much.

Josh
Josh
Senior Education Manager of Online Learning in US
E-Learning, 51–200 Employees

A powerful player in the e-learning arena

Comments: While I am just jumping into the platform as my current job requires it over other software platforms, I am impressed. Having used the entire Adobe CC and other e-learning software, this platform is not difficult to transition into.

Pros:

Having used many products for developing e-learning, Captivate is among the top-tier development programs but has a high cost to entry. The platform is powerful and has a lot of nuances that allow for digging deep into options for developing truly custom courses and user experiences.

Cons:

While you can dig deeply into advanced interactions, data reporting, etc, the learning curve is immense to begin to understand elements such as advanced actions, keywords, etc. Variables become buried and are not as easy to manipulate as in Articulate Storyline, but they are buried for very good reason in that you can actually do more in Captivate than with its rival program with such features. If I am to further nitpick, I am not excited by the filmstrip display for slide storyline. This is a feature I love in Articulate's e-learning in that non-linear branching is highly encouraged whereas the linear filmstrip does little to entice users to develop complex learning opportunities, reinforcing the linear death by slides commonly seen in virtual learning.

Kaytie
Regional Training Executive in UK
Hospital & Health Care, 10,000+ Employees

Seamless Service

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

During my previous role as a Regional Training Executive I was nervous to create Training Modules as I had previously used a different software. Adobe Captivate is simple to use and quick to learn. I no longer create Training Modules however if I do I hope to use Adobe Captivate.

Cons:

Possibly a personal issue however as I was working form home I had alot of issues accessing account however our remote IT Team were able to asssit me (apologies I am not sure what their resolution was).

Mari
Sr Technical Course Developer in US
Computer Software, 5,001–10,000 Employees

Clunky, counterintuitive and outdated

1.0 last month New

Pros:

I can only think of 1 and it is that it works with a Mac. Barely.

Cons:

Captivate is a very clunky software. And by clunky, I mean that the interactions are counterintuitive and to create an interaction is incredibly time-consuming. The competing offering software has a much better interface. I was forced to use captivate because of my Mac computer. My organization will not let me use parallels so I was stuck with using captivate. After about offering three courses, I was done. Development took about twice as much as the other competing tool.

Insurance, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Terrific training tool

Comments: Using this I have been able to set up tests and quiz for our training sessions. Its also let me create video presentations which automates some of our new hire training. You have to put in some time and learn it to get the most out of it but once you do that, its very powerful.

Pros:

It is very robust and has a ton of features. You can create some really impressive training modules with this. We have been using this for a little while now to train our new hires on policies and process. I really like that once you get the hang of this, you can create very professional looking training material with it. It lets you embed videos, images and docs into your module pretty seamlessly. You can include your branding (which was a big deal for us) and colors. You can even include your Voice over if you want to. Using this I have created Quiz, Presentations and video guides. And they all looked fantastic.

Cons:

Like a lot of other Adobe softwares (at least in my experience) it can be a little daunting to get started with. There is a lot you can do with it but you have to invest some time to get the most out of it. I really wish Adobe would figure out how to simplify the usage and work flow for newcomers.

Shubham
Shubham
Manager in India
Information Technology & Services, 501–1,000 Employees

Streamline your LMS with an advanced learning tool from Adobe.

Comments: Captivate is feature-rich & based on latest technology, it's better than any other LMS tool in the market.

Pros:

We can easily convert our existing webinars & PowerPoint presentations into courses & onboarding walkthroughs thanks to Captivate. Learning Management is the spine of any Organization & Captivate is the tool that ensures that all employees are constantly learning and evolving. Managers at each level can track the progress using 360 degree dashboards.

Cons:

Captivate is not an easy tool. Administrators will need a lot of trainings and hands on before they can fully utilize this product to it's real potential.

Marketing Director/Software Trainer in US
Entertainment, 2–10 Employees

Captivate & the ease of convertability

Comments: It gives you the ability to create in so many ways & to help make video & online training more streamlined, with the added feedback from an LMS to get good feedback on how end users are absorbing the triining

Pros:

I truly enjoy the ability to convert old PowerPoint training decks into exciting & yes to coin a phrase, "Captivating" training for our employees & management.

Cons:

The cost for our small company is a little high & there is no special pricing for Teachers or Students. It would be great id Adobe would let you replace some of the Adobe Cloud products with Captivate as part of the overall package even if it were for a little more per month.

Larry
Purchaser in Canada
Construction, 11–50 Employees

Facilitate Development of Training Syllabus

Comments: Captivate has taken the hard work out of creating professional learning tools with the ability to create testing without having to program.

Pros:

ease of use; HTML5 exposes many options for authoring

Cons:

Cost. I don't like the monthly subscription service.

Mark
Executive Director in US
Nonprofit Organisation Management, Self Employed

Super Quick for 1st time SCORM Course Authoring

Comments: I needed to create a SCORM course under a tight timeline as a beginner, and Captivate did everything I needed, very quickly. I was also reached out to DIRECTLY by a customer service member via email asking if I needed help. I did not need, help, but it was nice to know that the service was available.

Pros:

I really liked how easy Captivate was to learn and use in just a few hours. I do video production work, and needed to take a 3-hour long video curriculum, and adapt it into SCORM formatting for a client's educational project. I had never done a SCORM course before, but was able to with ease on the Captivate platform.

Cons:

It did crash a few times when overloaded with large video files, however was rebooted and back up and working quickly. I also just wish it was included in my Adobe Creative Cloud subscription. However, the price point was still great.

Data Analyst in UK
Government Administration, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Adobe Captivate - powerful learnng tool

Comments: Basically Adobe Capivate has helped me produce a number of instructional videos which are still in use today for the entire organisation. I created a video for example on how to use dashboards created with Microsoft PowerBI. Can be clunky at times and produce large files if you don't know what you're doing - however it's very powerful and capable

Pros:

It's relatively easy to use from the get go and mildy intuitive. Once you get the hang of it you can produce very professional looking video demonstrations of software.

Cons:

If you're not an Adobe person you will likely struggle with this - however that just means more learning of the product itself. It's not a modern feeling bit of software and feels a bit dated.

Financial Services, 201–500 Employees

Not very easy to use

Pros:

The functionality allows for a variety of courses to be created.

Cons:

Captivate is simply not intuitive or easy to use. Compared to other authoring tools for e-learning, Captivate is one of the most difficult softwares to use. Additionally, the support for the tools are just not there. If you reach out to support, expect to wait for a long time.

Timothy
free lancer in US
Computer Software, Self Employed

Review Adobe Captivate

Comments: Charm may be an extraordinary apparatus for making substance from scratch intended for utilizing in a responsive plan. This is often one of my go-to apparatuses when this specific situation exists. Captivate's responsive plan alternative and the wide extend of devices make the application an amazing option for a portable plan. In spite of having a PowerPoint moment and change alternative, Charm is not the instrument to utilize when beginning with substance made in PowerPoint. Slides are imported as a single picture, evacuating activitys, and any capacity to alter the substance.

Pros:

reasonable with more highlights than competitors and simple to utilize as well with capable highlights. Adobe Charm may be a full-featured writing apparatus, advertising clients a wide extend of intelligently and instructive instruments. Adobe Master applications exceed expectations by providing you most of the alternatives merely need and more than you need. Captivate offers live creating in a responsive plan. This includes is basic as we see to create more substance for utilizing over portable devices. Captivate coordinating consistently with the other Adobe Inventive Suite devices that we utilize. We combine PhotoShop, Gymnastic performer, and Fascinate to form a few astounding learning instruments.

Cons:

Adobe battles in its client back. Learned Fascinate back specialists to educate and troubleshoot would hoist this capable tool. As versatile learning ventures absent from Streak, creating entirely in HTML5 could be a getting to be a must. Fascinate has an HTML5 examiner to audit your extend for potential flash-based issues, but advancement in HTML5 as it were isn't as natural. I squander profitable time and exertion making alterations after the truth.

Nichole
Senior Financial Planner in US
Education Management, 501–1,000 Employees

Captivate your Learners with Captivate

Comments: There is a reason that Adobe Captivate is a leading, if not the leading, software for designing SCORM compliant software. It's been incredibly easy to use, the outcome is professional looking, and intuitive for both the designer as well as the user. I would recommend this for an educational institution or corporation looking to engage their employees in personal development. This is a great forum to disseminate information, policies, etc.

Pros:

I love Captivate! It's so easy to use and the outcome is extremely professional! Not only do they have a plethora of options to vary the presentation and assessment tools to employ different learning modalities for students, but educators and trainers can easily design courses without a ton of experience. The products are also easy for learners (students, corporate employees, really anyone interested in gaining knowledge) to navigate, complete courses, and assess their progress. Captivate is also SCORM compliant which is typically a standard requirement for learning objects within educational institutions.

Cons:

The price point can be a little shocking unless you're in education. Educational prices are around $399, normal pricing is 3 times that amount. However, despite the steep price point, all of the features, benefits and support are well worth it!

Omith
Accounting Manager in Bangladesh
Newspapers, 5,001–10,000 Employees

Adobe Captivate is E-Learning Solution

Comments: I've been using this app for a long time, It works fine with me and I absolutely love it. It helps me save a lot of time. I am very satisfied with using this software.

Pros:

The usefulness and versatility of Adobe Captivate are among the most extensive. You may develop everything with it, from conventional card-based eLearning modules to virtual reality training. That's why it's so outstanding. And fantastic image quality for lovely e-learning content.

Cons:

When features have issues, Adobe takes a while to repair them. By being more deliberate and prompt in fixing these errors, they may improve their product in this area.

Zacchaeus
Zacchaeus
Exhibit Technician II in US
Nonprofit Organisation Management, 51–200 Employees

Adobe Captivate - E-Learning Software

Comments: We use it to identify certain species of animals for the guests to our facility. They utilize the program through touch screen displays. I am very please with it's usability straight out of the box. I was able to seamlessly edit and manipulate slides and information.

Pros:

I like how intuitive the user interface is. I was able to easily navigate through options and controls. There is a already a large library of assets to implement into projects. I was able to jump right in, make a template and move slides around at whim with minimal difficulty.

Cons:

I didn't like that I could not get a subscription for it for more than 12 months. Otherwise, personally, I was impressed with the product. My supervisor tried to use this software and he had trouble with the PhoneGap and GitHub part of the rendering process. So for people less familiar with how mobile applications are created, there may be a steep learning curve.

Law Enforcement, 51–200 Employees

Easy to Use, Cost to Unlock Features

Comments: Overall, I am satisfied with the software. The ease of use is outstanding even for the not so computer savvy person.

Pros:

This software is very easy to use. It is used by thousands of other clients and is the default for many programs. It installs quickly and the interface is easy to use.

Cons:

The biggest downfall of this software is that it cannot be edited without purchasing. Being a program that is so widely used, the editing features should be free of charge.

Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

Efficient training tool

Comments: Overall love this tool I was able to publish projects quickly

Pros:

I was able to create engaging e learning modules quickly. Easy to use from the beginning and many options to publish.

Cons:

The learning curve was small and I was able to get going quickly. Sometimes larger files have trouble publishing.

Carol
IT User Experience Analyst in US
Information Technology & Services, 10,000+ Employees

Adobe Captivate an Excellent Tool for Training Tutorials

Comments: We use Adobe Captivate to create training tutorials.

Pros:

I love that Adobe Captivate has a lot of features and can do may functions to make your training course interactive and interesting for the user.

Cons:

Captivate is full featured but it is not very user friendly. You have to be a daily/multiple use daily person in order to master some of the more advanced features. You have to have mass interaction with the software. Also Captivate is a system's memory hog. You have to have a lot of RAM to run it smoothly.

vanessa
Admin in US
Consumer Services, 2–10 Employees

Adobe

Pros:

I love how I can use this software and make changes to document or reports with Ease.

Cons:

I do not think I have any cons with this program.

Sahil
Sahil
Junior Frontend Developer in India
Computer Software, 2–10 Employees

Good option for creating very engaging e learning content and managing them.

Comments: Overall i find adobe captivate is a very good option for managing e learning courses from designing them to the very end and all aspects of managing them i feel.

Pros:

The templates of captivate are very customizable and and thus become very effective for different categories of courses. Also there is multi language support, this is very useful and required feature too that i personally like its seamless integration with other of adobe platforms like photoshop and illustrator. The tests and assignments are also very easy to conduct and keep a track of.

Cons:

I feel there is limited interactivity with other of the e learning systems when compared to some other e learning authoring tools. I also feel like training administration can be made even more efficient.

Stephen
Stephen
Engagement Management Analyst in US
Sporting Goods, 10,000+ Employees

Great for Online Learning

Pros:

I love the ability to program logic and quizzes into the projects. I use it for online training at work and it's very responsive and robust.

Cons:

Like most Adobe programs, it's a resource hog. It takes it a while to load, and operating on a small screen can make it really laggy. But as long as you're on a large screen and a fast wifi connection, it's wonderful.

Retail, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Great Authoring tool for system simulation training

Comments: Adobe Captivate helped me created a simulated training environment that helped new started to the business get familiar with the system before being signed of to enter the live environment.

Pros:

I really enjoyed this tool when creating customized in house systems simulation training.

Cons:

I experienced a few issues around HTML compatible interactions but nothing major.

Mitali
Mitali
Junior Frontend Developer in India
Computer Software, 2–10 Employees

Great app for managing learning management and online course authoring.

Comments: Overall i think adobe captivate is surely a good option for managing e learning and course authoring very efficiently and effectively.

Pros:

The training administration is good. The course publishing is also easy to do so. The content is interactive and offers good amount of personalization tools to add and enhance the course.

Cons:

The course management is good but same needs to be done with learning management. More tools need to be made available in the learning management too for even better personalize experience that can enhance the output.

Ronaldo
Ronaldo
teacher in Brazil
E-Learning, 201–500 Employees

Perceptions about Captivate

Comments: I use it to develop different materials for online and offline courses.

Pros:

It has a variety of features very interesting for the area of courses and training, with the possibility of customization and programming.

Cons:

It is very expensive in Brazil. The design power associated with Adobe products does not emerge with the product.

Consumer Goods, 11–50 Employees

To be honest, I expected better from Adobe

Comments: Captivate seems like the "black sheep" in Adobe's lineup. If it had more integrations with Adobe CC, it would be a great option, but unfortunately it doesn't get the attention it deserves.

Pros:

One endearing quality of Adobe Captivate is their "Live Device Preview" Which allows you to preview your creation on an actual device.

Cons:

Coming from Articulate Storyline, it's very difficult to get the same type of interactions and logic in Captivate without some considerable tinkering.