15 years helping Irish businesses

About Twilio

Twilio is a trusted and reliable partner for businesses looking to improve their communication capabilities.

Learn more about Twilio

Pros:

The documentation of Twilio APIs is very clear, and the pricing is easily understandable. Their services are reliable and easy to integrate into your own projects.

Cons:

It can be difficult to find your way around the website. Even with documentation, setting up functions can be confusing.

Twilio ratings

4.2
4.1
4.5
4.3

8.2/10

Twilio has an overall rating of 4.5 out 5 stars based on 445 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Twilio before?

Rongen
Rongen
Digital Developer in Brunei
E-Learning, 11–50 Employees

Twilio SMS feature never fails and never over charges

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Great experience with the app from UI/UX perspective and customer support.

Pros:

I like the pay-as-you-go subscription model the most. The API integration is also smooth and easy. The knowledge base has all the steps/guide we need to implement and roll out.

Cons:

Nothing that I can think of or have experienced.

Ajay kumar
Full Stack Developer in India
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

First class SMS API Platform for developers

Comments: I have been using Twilio for three years. Actually this is a very suitable Platform for SMS. This is the Platform I recommend to all my clients.

Pros:

I am Ajay Full Stack Developer. Basically I'm using Twilio for SMS. Two things motivate me to use Twilio one is, compare to other SMS Platform it's very easy to get the payed API Key and and minimum of code. Second thing is, They provide very good costumer care support.

Cons:

Features wise no drawbacks in Twilio but compare to other platform littlie bit more cost.

Mark
COO in US
E-Learning, 2–10 Employees

Customer support is dificult to reach and unresponsive

Comments: We have been a SendGrid customer for about 7 months. We use the service to handle the transactional emails from our website. We have been satisfied with that service and decided to also use them for our marketing campaigns On September 30th we exported our MailChimp contacts and cleaned up the data. On October we upgraded our SendGrid plan to Basic 50k, contacted SendGrid support, informed them what we were doing and asked about the use of Tags. We then imported 47k contacts, prepared a time sensitive single send marketing piece which we released on October 2nd to our complete contact list. SendGrid shut down the campaign, disabled the links in the 13k emails that had been sent, making them useless, and suspended our account. We have been unable to reach SendGrid to resolve this. This action, and lack of it by Twillo/SendGrid has significantly impacted our business as the campaign was in support of a live continuing education course scheduled for Tuesday 10/3. At this point we are trying to salvage what we can by moving to another marketing service.

Pros:

We were migrating our email marketing from MailChimp to Twillo's SendGrid. Relative to MailChimp we found SendGrid's email design tool to be more flexible and easier to use

Cons:

Customer support: Two issues1 -Customer support is difficult to access. The support phone number listed on Google is disconnected, there is no chat, "Contact support" on the website requires the user to fill in a text box labeled "Tell us your issue." We've tried this multiple times only to get an error message: "There was an error retrieving results for your query. Please try again." We've managed to get multiple messages to SendGrid Support by responding to previous support ticket emails. I see some one at SendGrid has deleted all but one of these. Obviously someone knows we have an urgent issue but no response and it has been over 18 hours since our first request for support. 2. When we informed Customer support that we were migrating our marketing champagne from Mail Chimp to SendGrid they failed to inform us about the possibility of the automated account suspension we have encountered, and how to avoid it .

Ewa
Marketing Team Lead in Canada
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 51–200 Employees

My Remarkable Journey with Twilio.

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: It is possible to connect and communicate with our customers in real-time with Twilio.

Pros:

I'm delighted to use Twilio because it increases customers engagement and interaction in real-time.It is simple to send and receive text or SMS messages with Twilio.It is simple and fast to make and receive phone voice calls with Twilio.

Cons:

When having unstable internet connectivity,I find it difficult to make or receive phone calls with Twilio.

John Epok
John Epok
Regional Platforms Lead in Philippines
Telecommunications, 501–1,000 Employees

Customer Experience Done Best Through Twilio Voice Automations

4.0 last month New

Comments: Overall a pleasant experience with Twilio as i has done wonders for us on number hosting and seamless integration of our voicemail platform being used across SEA and Australia.

Pros:

- less intimidating interface - seamless integration between internal voice platforms and other VoIP sub tools - top-up mechanism to effectively manage cost

Cons:

- it would require deep technical knowledge to deploy

Clinton
Human Resource Manager in US
Machinery, 1,001–5,000 Employees

The Implemenation of Twilio Is Easy

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

I like the ease of deployment of Twilio. Twilio has been a great tool for SMS marketing and communications.

Cons:

Twilio has reliable and simple to manage features. Twilio does not have flaws.

Rubani
Research Manager in US
Research, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Twilio's Capabilities are Excellent: It Is Brilliant

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

Twilio has been a brilliant an easy to use SMS marketing system. I like the efficient features of Twilio.

Cons:

Twilio is easy to use and flawless. It works so well for us.

Chrisarn
Marketing Officer in US
Marketing & Advertising, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Twilio Has Been a Reliable Cloud Communications and SMS Marketing Software

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

This marketing and communications software has been easy to use and reliable. Twilio is so accurate.

Cons:

Twilio is flawless. It makes SMS marketing efficient.

Claudia
Procurement Officer in US
Hospital & Health Care, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Twilio Has Been So Reliable for SMS Marketing

Pros:

For proper SMS marketing, Twilio has been so reliable. Twilio has been so accurate to use.

Cons:

I have zero cons for Twilio. Twilio is reliable.

Zachary
Operations Support in US
Retail, 501–1,000 Employees

A Consistent Partner

4.0 4 weeks ago New

Pros:

Easy to use and integrate into our system and have not had many issues.

Cons:

Somewhat costly for higher usage customers.

Retail, 11–50 Employees

Twilio's services and tools are reliable, easy to configure, easy to manage, and inexpensive

Comments: We use Twilio trunking for our multi-location PBX, and SMS messaging for customer communication. Twilio has worked out very well for us and I would strongly recommend them to other businesses. It's easy to set up, inexpensive and reliable.

Pros:

So far, we use Twilio SMS messaging and SIP trunking. Our experience with was excellent. Everything from creating an account, setting up services, integrating with other systems (PBX and CRM), funding and managing services has been nearly perfect. We did not have a lot of experience with any of these technologies, and we had very little trouble getting it to work the way we want. They have done an outstanding job of designing the services and interfaces so you can put together systems exactly the way you want, without a lot of trouble for spending a lot of money.

Cons:

The one negative that we have encountered so far is that Twilio's SIP trunking does not support T.38 faxing. We do have a couple legacy fax machines set up with ATA's, but they are unreliable both sending and receiving, so we had to supplement this with efax service from another vendor. This setup works, but it would've been nice to have everything together from one vendor. I understand that fax is outdated, but it's still the standard in the medical industry.

Joel
Tech Lead in US
Online Media, 11–50 Employees

Outstanding Platform for Businesses Using WhatsApp

Comments: Overall it has been positive so far. We are launching our software globally now and so far they have been a solid partner in the countries we have been going to.

Pros:

We used Twilio to be the backbone of custom cross-platform messaging software we built that connects people in different countries around the globe. We used it to send automated messages alerting the users that someone in their area wants to talk to them and then to continue to facilitate the conversations through our software and the WhatsApp API protecting the user's identities. The API was very easy to use. The hardest and most challenging part was getting set up and approved by Facebook to get our WhatsApp numbers. The system tracks if messages were delivered which is great and we can see responses come back in as well, not the message content itself mind you, but that a response was sent. We also leverage their email platform which added another communication platform to our system. All in all, we are excited about our partnership with Twilio and look forward to continuing to work with them.

Cons:

The only challenging issues we had really involved WhatsApp and getting them to verify our Facebook Business listing, then approve us for a WhatsApp number and finally approve our message templates so we could use Twilio to send messages through their platform. I wouldn't say any of that was Twilio's fault and their staff was excellent at doing everything they could to help us. The only thing I would like to see is a better more laid out navigation on their admin dashboards. You have to click into menus to get to a sub menu to then scroll around and try to find what you are looking for. It would be nice if they had a master link tree like Amazon does on their AWS dashboard.

Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

Twilio also has a couple of secret super powers!

Comments: An amazingly well built product -- we rarely if ever had reliability issues -- the Twilio Functions were an especially useful post-purchase feature discovery -- so much so that we still use that even though we don't do any texting. We also sometimes use FracTEL, since they beat Twilio on pricing 3:1 for 1-800 texts *and* had MMS 1-800 support long before Twilio.

Pros:

* super easy to configure multiple accounts for billing purposes * * Twimlets are a great way to experiment with product &/or prototype quickly - https://www.twilio.com/labs/twimlets * Twilio functions is amazingly easy way to either extend power of tools such as Zapier &/or avoid having to use AWS Lambda, etc. -- it's a super cool hidden feature - https://www.twilio.com/docs/runtime/functions * They have an auto-stop feature if you accidentally send too fast -- e.g., we accidentally created an infinite loop of texts between two phone numbers -- which they auto-stopped at about $20 (in three minutes). There are likely other Twilio features hiding in plain sight -- poke around -- one of those rare cases where reading all the documentation is likely worth it

Cons:

* the login process can be annoying * help sometime takes longer than 24 hours * configuring multiple sub-accounts is confusing at first * not all functions can be done via UX -- some require API calls -- curl scripts were our goto

Leifur
Software Engineer in US
Computer Software, Self Employed

Could be really great, and it sounds great, but its really not

Comments: Twilio is a disaster of a product, and I would never ever use it again, it randomly stopped working and I got a Forbidden error that really had no documentation to explain why it was happening. When I contacted customer support they told me that it was because Twilio no longer offered email verification for free users. Well, they could have at least sent an email out telling everyone that. I would be forced to buy their tiered plan, switch services, or set up my own verification which sucks but at least tell your users that you're making these changes right?

Pros:

It had a high number of emails you could send for free every day

Cons:

They had a sprawling system that required like four api keys just to set up and integration between multiple products with little to no to innacurate documentation. First you have to have a SendGrid account and set up an API Key (first key in .env) , then you have to make an email template which is very hard to do because they have a lot of bugs with that whole system and its rather confusing as well, especially in regards to trying to actually write your own code for how it looks . Then you go to Twilio and get your Auth Token (second .env) and create a Service that has its own token (third .env) , then you integrate that with your sendGrid Template and I forgot where exatly but there some fourth token you need. It's ridiculously complicated and poorly set up, and the documentation doesn't really tell you how to code it, the page that tells you how to send emails has code examples for sending text messages so that's unhelpful. It took me several hours to figure out how it all works and get it set up for automatic emailing. When I switched to Courier it took my literally 15 minutes to do the exact same thing. They had great documentation, a wonderful easy to use website, and just one API key. Don't use Twilio, it's trash, try Courier.

Josip
Josip
Athletic coach in Croatia
Sports, 2–10 Employees

Start sending SMS programmatically with just a few lines of code

Pros:

Twilio is superior when it comes to SMS delivery so I will share my experience with that since I use only SMS services but bear in mind that Twilio is much more than just SMS. Twilio delivers messages fast and reliable all around the globe for a very competitive price. It usually takes just a few seconds to deliver the message. With Twilio, you don't even need to buy a phone number since you can send messages from an alphanumeric ID. You just need to make sure that this is legal in your country and take an additional registration step if required by law. Choosing the phone number from which you will send a message is sometimes a better solution since you can then also receive messages and for example, receive messages for unsubscribing the customer from your SMS marketing platform. What I particularly like about Twilio is their offer for Non Profit organizations. They are willing to credit your account with 500$ if you are a registered Non-Profit and that is amazing! I don't know of any other company that gives such big credits for free and that speaks that company is led by managers who certainly have a great vision which is not only to make a profit but help people by providing easy use service. Their API is amazing! Documentation is full of examples and a lot of programming languages are supported out of the box. Their API services are not just developer focussed and overall complete service is so easy to use that I don't know why I haven't been using it much before.

Cons:

Twilio dashboard is not the best experience and I don't like it even though it received a redesign recently. It feels kinda outdated and it isn't optimized for mobile devices what I found kinda alerting for 2022. Although you won't be using it on your mobile phone primarily, it is nice if you could check the error log fast on the go if a lot of them start popping out and alerting you on channels you set.

Chirag
CITO in US
Insurance, 51–200 Employees

Reliable text notifications for customers

Comments: We've had great experience with Twilio. Our users sign up for text notification and we use Twilio to deliver them information. That experience has been well-received by customers. There's more to Twilio than that but texting is what we use it for. The system barely ever goes down and always shows us accurate information of our usage.

Pros:

Barrier to entry is so low; it's so easy to get started with Twilio. It took us one afternoon to test it and we were running production-grade systems the same week using Twilio. It's documentation is so good that we don't need to call into support for anything. Billing is clear and analytics is clear as well. We have enjoyed Twilio.

Cons:

There isn't anything I don't like about Twilio. I do feel that Twilio can create widgets for non-technical customers to sign up customers for text notification. We have development staff that understands Twilio well enough. I do see small mom-and-pop shop owners who'd love to keep customers informed of sales through text messaging. If Twilio advertised more or somehow helped such audience, that'll be really neat.

Information Technology & Services, 51–200 Employees

Best Communications API for Voice and SMS

Comments: Overall, it's highly recommended that every startup or business should go with Twilio as their backbone communications layer. Recently they added more services like email through SendGrid, so it is really powerful.

Pros:

Using Twilio services for programmable voice and SMS means that we do not have to build that infrastructure, and can build features on top of that at a quick speed. I like how reliable the services is, which is a major draw and value for money with the costs. At occasional times when there are issues, they are resolved speedily. The team is super friendly, and will always be there to help answer our problems. Otherwise, the API documentation is great and easy to implement.

Cons:

It doesn't work or work so well in places like China though, which is understandable. The admin console is largely usable but can include for features for less tech savvy people, understandably, not really their audience.

Lacie
Manager in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2–10 Employees

Twilio integration

Comments: Our overall experience with Twilio has been great. The set up and implementation of Twilio in our office was extremely easy and we haven't experienced any issues using Twilio so far. I like that there's a specific phone # attached that looks like it's form our area code and office. Our patients can text us at any time and we have never had any missed texts or communication issues.

Pros:

We currently use this software that is integrated with our ChiroHD Software system. Our team utilizes Twilio daily and appreciates the convenience to easily communicate with patients via text.

Cons:

I don't think we are using the full functionality of the product due to it's integration inside ChiroHD.

Package/Freight Delivery, 2–10 Employees

Twilio has real bad customer service!

Comments: I usually don't leave reviews but I am so upset of how Twilio treated me and my business that I feel an obligation to do so. Twilio has very bad customer service. If your app, website or product depends on its service like API or SMS, I would look somewhere else like Plivo or other service providers. Twilio suspended my account for weeks on an error through their system and through numerous emails, they took their time to unsuspend it while my business was being damaged every day by it. I would never recommended Twilio to any businesses or consumers.

Pros:

There is nothing much to like about Twilio.

Cons:

Twilio has real bad customer service and not reliable platform for businesses that depend on API and SMS for their businesses.

Jeff
Jeff
Principal in US
Leisure, Travel & Tourism, 2–10 Employees

Great for Triggered Text Message Notifications

Comments: Overall, very happy. Great value for the money. Would highly recommend.

Pros:

We've been using this system to send text notifications to a distribution list when someone visits our website and completes a form to request information. We typically receive emails from clients who send 3-5 similar, if not identical emails to multiple tour operators. By dramatically decreasing our time to contact the potential client and answer questions via email or over the phone, we saw a marked increase in booking conversions. Using the Zapier integration between our Website form tool "Gravity Forms" and Twilio, we now can respond to online inquiries a matter of minutes, and secure a booking before our competitors can even open their email.

Cons:

In the Zapier setup, it is a bit of hit and miss to get all the custom text to layout like you want in a single text message.

Lydia
Lydia
Blow Mold Operator in Kenya
Plastics, 501–1,000 Employees

Twilio is the tool to get it right with customer engagements

Comments: Twilio has helped us reach our customers more effectively and easily by building a complete communication workflow where they can easily reach out to us through sms, video, audio or email.

Pros:

Twilio offers all the resources needed to build a complete communication and customer support platform with multiple support channels like video and audio calls and instant messaging. It allows us to collect our customer data and analyze them so as to achieve a better understanding of our customers at a more personal level.

Cons:

Twilio is not an easy to use product and training is always a necessity especially for beginners.

Tyranny of the 2FA gods!

Comments: Authy by Twilio is a run-of-the-mill 2FA app. There's nothing special about it. It works when you're not switching your hardware.

Cons:

Customer Support is only available by email, not by phone, and it takes 1-3 days to hear back from them. I was in the process of integrating their OneTouch functionality into a software program I'm designing, and I finally found out why no one else integrates it. It's busted and when you go to click the "Accept" or "Reject" buttons, it gives you an error. Authy support said to reinstall my Authy app, and now I can't get back into the app until 2 days later because of their overbearing security. They refuse to get me out of the bind, and I'm unable to access any of my accounts until they lift the hold. I've learned my lesson and I'm going to use LastPass so they can't hold my accounts hostage anymore for their nefarious purposes.

Esther
Software Implementation in US
Nonprofit Organisation Management, 11–50 Employees

Purchased out of necessity, expanded due to functionality

Comments: I like software that does what it’s supposed to do in the background without requiring regular babysitting. Twilio is exceptionally good at this. As long as our autopay works, the service remains consistently available and functions as expected.

Pros:

For us, the integration is key. We have quite a few non-tech savvy people so operating the backend of Twilio could be intimidating for most of our staff. However, we need a product with extensive features and customization options. Twilio gives us the best of both worlds by integrating our user friendly database with the robust Twilio features.

Cons:

There are always trade offs between available features and ease of use. Sometimes it’s hard to locate a particular setting. However, online documentation has helped me out so far and I have not needed tech support.

Roger
Roger
Project Manager in US
Computer Software, 2–10 Employees

Powerful, flexible

Comments: Great - solid dependable system

Pros:

Wide range of options - API hooks, config options etc

Cons:

Can be complex to set up, but Twilio Studio does the trick now I guess. We were originally using XML / TwiML

Dilraj
Dilraj
Sr. Software Developer in India
Computer Software, 501–1,000 Employees

Awesome tool for sending sms and voice calling

Pros:

Twilio enables the users on any platform to send sms and make voice calls internationally via its well documented APIs which can be integrated very quickly on the platform by the developers. The SMS can be sent reliably on any international or local phone number once the phone numbers are bought with the required services enabled on it. Twilio also provides phone number masking for making voice calls. All in all its really an awesome module to use in your product for availing all of the Twilio services.

Cons:

Twilio should provide sms and voice calling as a testing feature on the trial account which can really help people to be more convinced about its awesome services.