15 years helping Irish businesses

About Wave

Automate key invoicing & bookkeeping tasks and get more time for what you love with Wave’s small business software. Try for free today!

Learn more about Wave

Pros:

Since it is free, I expected customer service to be non-existent, but they do respond and resolve issues through their messaging system. You can also share info with your accountant.

Cons:

It was disappointing when UK bank syncing stopped. Would prefer more options on personal designs for Invoices and Receipts.

Wave ratings

4.4
4.0
4.2
4.6

8.4/10

Wave has an overall rating of 4.4 out 5 stars based on 1,588 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Wave before?

Filter reviews (1,588)

Henry
Henry
Freelance Digital Marketer in US
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed

Excellent for freelancers and small businesses

Comments: Extremely positive. In 3+ years I don't think I've had to contact support once, nor have I ever considered switching to other tools. It is one of the few software tools I use regularly where I am happy to open it, and I'm happy to give them their percentage. As a freelancer, Wave has been indispensable to me. Always simple and smooth, and exceptional bang for the buck. Not only would I recommend Wave to freelancers and small businesses, I have recommended it. Numerous times.

Pros:

Wave is ideal for freelancers. Set up is really simple and the interface is user-friendly. I have zero background in financial matters, and with Wave that's totally fine. The price is also right. There's no subscription or hidden fees, they just take a perfectly reasonable percentage from invoice payments. I asked a financial advisor friend of mine before signing up, and she was pleasantly surprised by the low rates, and told me to go for it. I've been using Wave for over 3 years, and I have never once been hit with a fee outside of the basic rates. Wave also provides a host of reporting and tracking tools in this basic account. They didn't influence my decision to sign up, but they've proven to be very useful. And finally a small but really helpful feature, especially if you're a freelancer just starting out: immediate money transfers. Once someone pays your invoice, the money is in Wave, and takes 2-3 days to transfer. For 1% more payment, you can transfer money within minutes. For the cash-strapped freelancer, that can be mana from heaven.

Cons:

There are no major cons that I can think of. One issue I have is mostly my fault: When I first started using Wave I didn't know what I was doing, and I ended up creating a whole bunch of client and work type records unnecessarily. It would be nice if there were some more in-your-face tutorials, maybe some hover tips for new users. But the messiness is mainly from me leaping in before looking.

Felix
Felix
Auditor in US
Accounting, 5,001–10,000 Employees

A Solid Free Small Business Accounting Software

Comments: It’s been a solid piece of cloud accounting software, albeit limited. It’s hard to beat the price of it, and I have yet to find a similar but more fully featured one at the price of FREE!

Pros:

I use Wave to keep track of my personal finances, from income to spending. In that lens, Wave performs quite well, allowing you to tag transactions that are automatically imported from your bank. It also lets you generate some simple reports such as your income statement, balance sheet, and cash flow. The interface is simple to use and understand, and I was able to pick it up (coming from an accounting background) in under a few minutes, without having gone through a walkthrough. The included ability to reconcile statements is also quite handy and allows me to verify that all transactions are posted appropriately. The inclusion of receipt tracking and tagging is also quite handy! The best part about Wave is the price! If you don’t need features such as invoicing and payroll (some SMB’s may find these handy. From a personal perspective, I did not), the accounting software is completely free.

Cons:

Wave still appears to be in its infancy, although the product has been there for a while. The user interface will frequently be updated (the reconciliation flow changed 3 times since I signed up about 6 months ago), and new features will constantly be added without any notification, often shifting often things around from where you expect them to be. The reports from Wave are also very limited, so don’t expect any customizable reports as of 08/2019. You get about 12 reports total, some or all of which may not be very relevant to you, depending on your end goal. These reports are completely canned, system generated, and you do not have the ability to create new reports. This may change in the future, but as it stands, this is the current state of affairs. The receipt tracking feature is definitely handy to have. While Wave will OCR your receipts and tag them to a category, it will actually post an entire transaction to the ledger when you save it down. For those of us with a bank account and credit card linked to auto import transactions, you’ll get a duplicate: one from the CC, and one from the receipt. It would be nice if Wave included some intelligence to automatically match the receipt and transaction together, but for now, you need to manually merge each. Finally, as a small point, Wave does not obtain any service assurance through SOC1 or SOC2 reports, an issue that most people wouldn’t ever care about.

DAYNA
Accountant in US
Consumer Goods, 2–10 Employees

Excellent Free Software for Small Businesses

Comments: Extremely easy to use and a perfect first software for service based businesses that don't want to pay for Quickbooks yet.

Pros:

- Free - Cloud based - Easily customizable/brandable invoicing and reports

Cons:

It does not do costing per order or inventory management as far as I'm aware.

Theodore
Video Editor in US
Entertainment, Self Employed

Wave Accounting Services and Customer Service are ABYSMAL!!!

3.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Its great UNTIL you need to speak to someone... Then they are among the worst companies I have ever dealt with.

Pros:

Invoice creation and sending. Charts are nice.

Cons:

They withdrew money from my account to pay payroll taxes, then didn'tpay the tax. You can't speak to anyone there and thy take forever to get back to you. TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!

Ashley
Office Manager in US
Automotive, 2–10 Employees

Accounting without a Cost

Comments: I loved this software/app so much that I actually decided to open a personal account and use it for mine and my husbands personal finances! I had been using the good ole trusty excel for this. But this makes everything so much nicer. It imports all my husbands charges and then I can code them and see just where our money is going. Not to mention, it has help the business I work for be more successful in bringing in a bigger profit! If you are trying to decided between software's and don't know where to start, try Wave for your business accounting needs.

Pros:

The first greatest thing about Wave is that is FREE!!! If you are just starting out, or a small business where overhead and expense need to be kept to a minimum, I recommend this app. It has all basic functions you need like, quotes, invoicing, statements, entering bills, receipts, reconciling bank statements, etc. All of these services including reporting are included in the free software! It has payroll functions for an additional charge, which we have opted out of for the time being. You can even link your bank account to it and it will import all the your debits and credits for reconciling. Also, this software is super user friendly and you do not need to be a tech expert to understand it. It will set you up with preloaded items it thinks you need for your business and then you can change them or delete them. You can also add new ones super easy while doing this or after the fact. I really love that its cloud base and can be accessed anywhere. This makes it key for me when traveling for work.

Cons:

Honestly Wave is pretty awesome that it was hard to find cons with it. The only drawback for me is the reporting. I wish I was able to customize them and select certain data to analyze. The reports are basic and standard, they just don't quite cover what I am looking for in my reporting.

Human Resources Generalist in US
Hospital & Health Care, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Easy to create and send invoices, quotes and payments

Comments: Invoices, estimates, and receipts, along with yearly accounting tools, can be easily managed. Simple to set up, and you may include many companies in a single profile.

Pros:

We were looking for a low-cost solution, and Wave met our needs for our two subsidiaries. Accounting software that doesn't break the bank. The billing and payment process runs smoothly.

Cons:

I can only view reports once a year and cannot download individual reports or combine them. It's difficult to plan for cash flow in the financial realm.

Emily
Marketing director in US
Real Estate, 2–10 Employees

Easy Invoicing

5.0 last month New

Pros:

I found Wave when looking for a platform to invoice my freelance clients. I wanted something I could use easily, have a record for tax time, and something that was customizable without being charged an arm and a leg with fees. I don’t use Wave to its full potential but it works great for me!

Cons:

Nothing. Wave has worked just how I needed it to!

Ronald
Graphic Designer in US
Design, Self Employed

Invoice creation

5.0 last month New

Comments: It's been very helpful for me to create professional invoices for free.

Pros:

First, it's a free product! The features are great and very easy to use.

Cons:

They canceled their banking program, but besides that I have no cons.

Carl
Owner Manager and Trainer in US
Sports, Self Employed

Wave is an excellent product!

5.0 last month New

Comments: My overall experience is very positive. I would recommend WAVE to my friends without question.

Pros:

It is easy to use and understand. I feel both comfortable and confident when using WAVE.

Cons:

I know that the fee will be going up as I was just notified recently. I just hope that it doesn't get too expensive.

Samantha
Samantha
Owner in UK
Accounting, Self Employed

Great Piece of Software

Pros:

There was a free version, easy to invoice and collect payments, good trackers for accounting

Cons:

Not as much functionality as other software

Management Consulting, Self Employed

Wonderful accounting software for starting and growing a service business

Comments: I haven't gone through a tax season with my business yet, but I have been an independent consultant and I anticipate having everything tracked in Wave is going to help me out a lot come April. It's so easy to use and I can focus on my core business rather than spending a lot of time on admin.

Pros:

Wave helps me do so much. I can issue invoices, track them (I.e. I can see when a client has viewed it!), and allow clients to make payments directly through the invoice. I can also customize my invoice, which is great. I could do all of this from day 1. I'm a solopreneur and launched my business this summer. I was able to issue professional invoices from day 1 and track my expenses using their receipts app. The other thing I love about Wave is that they are very interested in feedback from their customers. I've had a few interactions with them and it's always been really pleasant. It's also free which helps me out a lot. I do use the credit card payments, which has a fee like any other service would.

Cons:

Their mobile app could use some work, and I've given them this feedback. The receipts app is great to take pictures really quickly, but I generally have to use the browser to do anything else.

Venture Capital & Private Equity, 51–200 Employees

Not made for Today's business market

Comments: Recommended by out bank, we tried them out. Big mistake. There is no telephone support, only chat support, which stops working about 30 minutes before closing time (they say they work 9-5 EST). Their process for us to start accepting credit cards took 3 months. Everytime we get paid online, funds get withheld until you provide supporting documentation which takes weeks to process and multiple, escalating questions. Overall, a waste of time with a system that was supposed to take the hassle out of online invoicing.

Pros:

The app allows you to be able to keep track of your expenses on the go

Cons:

Billing and payments: every time you get paid with their credit card system, they withhold payments until you provide supporting documentation and their back and forths take forever. You can also not connect other systems like PayPal or Stripe. So you are stuck with their merchant processing if you want to accept payments on the go.

Photographer in US
Photography, Self Employed

Best accounting software to grow as a small business

Comments: The overall experience with Wave has been very good. With some hiccups on the roadmap, Wave has evolved by leaps and bounds from a pretty basic software to quite a powerhouse, even for the free version. If my business grows and I will feel the need to add more features such as payroll and tax advisor use, I will still remain a Wave believer!

Pros:

I've used Wave since 2009!!! I feel like my company grew with it. It's helped me understand all I was doing right (and wrong!) financially in my business. It helps tremendously when filing monthly sales taxes. I keep a habit of staying organized, verifying all transactions and reconciling with my bank accounts. All of this, plus categorizing everything the right way makes tax time an absolute breeze - my taxes are done in two days and I don't need to freak out about it because everything is organized ahead of time and all I do is input expenses and sales.

Cons:

What I least like about Wave is that a few years ago they stopped support for free accounts. Absolutely no human support whatsoever. Disagree with that big time!!! Sometimes also a bank connection will be interrupted and you cannot reconnect for many many months and since there is no support, you are left without any help. I am a small business of one person and I do not need any of the paid features that Wave offers so I could be upgraded to paid support, so I am always stuck in no human support land. It doesn't feel good, especially to someone who has used this software for as long as I have.

Dedre
Dedre
CEO in South Africa
Luxury Goods & Jewelry, 2–10 Employees

Easy to use free invoicing app, but it has limitations

Comments: Overall, besides the minor cons, it is still my favourite app to use for invoicing since it is so easy to use and straight-forward with a very slight learning curve.

Pros:

We started using Wave for our small business as it was free to use, and extremely user-friendly. Setting up your database of products/services and adding customers are easy and makes sending invoices a breeze. Financial reporting is also easy with a variety of filters to use in order to produce the financially statements and/or reports based your chosen criteria. You can also send a monthly bill or statement to your customers.

Cons:

Online payment gateways are limited to only 3 options, including PayPal, Stripe and Square. As a South African company, these options are not beneficial or even available in our country. So customers cannot pay invoices automatically upon receipt of the invoice. This is an inconvenience and we use a manual EFT workaround. Support and use of Wave Accounting in South Africa has been discontinued.

Sutra
Leisure, Travel & Tourism, 2–10 Employees

Excellent for the start-up to small company!

Comments: So far it has been a good experience overall. I haven’t had any issues. I haven’t had very much interaction with customer service other than the initial consultation Coach and the vetting process situation.

Pros:

Love this product because of the cost! Free! So many great tools that it offers to include invoicing. You can create all of your own products and services and include your terms & Conditions. Clients can pay directly from the invoice. You can get paid the same day if you attach your business card to your account. It has a payroll feature as well for an additional charge. I love the fact that the reporting is so simple and easy to read. I would highly recommend purchasing this set up package. It comes with consultations and assistance to work through all the process of setting up your account and different categories specific to your business. It was definitely worth the extra money spent. I also like the fact that there are apps available to send invoices if you are away from the office. Also, you can upload receipts directly from wherever you are by simply taking a picture and categorizing it on the spot. No more having to deal with Receipts in the shoebox LOL.

Cons:

On the Invoicing I wish there was an option to add tipping. Our clients like to add a tips for our service and while Square offers this feature, Wave does not. There was a weird vetting process that nobody told me about and at first I thought it was a scam and I didn’t reply. But then I confirmed with the consultant I had been working with and they verified that this was in fact something that I had to go through. It seemed kind of sketchy at first, but it had validity with regards to the financial process.

Leisure, Travel & Tourism, 51–200 Employees

Great Software. Super Affordable.

Pros:

For a small business, or probably even a larger one, it's a really great software with all of the accounting and billing basics needed, and it's basically free. The online payment system works really well for getting payments from clients. They can either pay with a credit card or ACH, which is great. You can turn off credit card payments too if you don't want to have a fee taken from your payments, which I also find as a nice feature. The invoices look very professional, can be white-labeled, so it just has your branded information on it. The invoices are also really easy to make. We had been trying to use Excel as an accounting system when we first started our small business, and found Wave soon after. It was a huge upgrade, and not very expensive. The reports are great, and it's easy to track expenses and monies brought in. It solved all of our accounting needs as a small website building business.

Cons:

The one thing we really think can be improved are the recurring invoices. It doesn't make the invoice numbers in order based on that client's invoices, so they're oddly out of order. It's not a huge deal, but would be much better if it kept the invoice numbers specific to each set of clients.

James
James
Professional Training & Coaching, Self Employed

My go-to invoicing and accounting tool for my small business!

Comments: Nothing but amazing! I'm so glad I switched from Square for my invoice and payment processing.

Pros:

It is so easy to use, and customized specifically for small business owners. I absolutely LOVE the invoice feature - it's the primary feature that I use - and it just works so well. My completed payments rate is 100% and I believe is at least in part due to how easy the process is to view/pay invoices.

Cons:

Sometimes I wish the payment speed was faster after a client makes a payment, but then they introduced instant deposits and I'm happy to pay the small fee to get my money faster!

Jack
Owner in Canada
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

Wave has amazing functionality for a free product, but it's not as good as it should be

Comments: I have been using Accounting by Wave for nearly three years. It was a replacement for my Simply Accounting program. I am forever wondering how Wave can afford to make such a polished product available at no cost. Initially, there were ads, but now that they have a revenue stream from additional services, the ads have been removed. I have opted not to use their in-built payment processing feature, but I imagine it would be similar to Paypal in terms of the fees. Day-to-day operation of the program is smooth. They use a Zapier interface to my bank to update balances and download transactions. This interface is quite slow, although the speed has improved somewhat over the years. As bank transactions are imported, they are categorized into various income/expense categories. I find the categorization to be fairly unhelpful. Even after the user changes the categorization of transactions, Wave does not remember these settings. The next time data is downloaded, it will use the same, incorrect categories as the previous time. Wave is currently rolling out a new version of their software, which promises improvements to the AI (artificial intelligence) capabilities. I hope this means they will remember user-defined categorizations, but until my account is updated, I cannot speculate. There is one VERY ANNOYING bug in the program that I have described in the CONS section, since I've run out of space here.

Pros:

The software is FREE for everything other than PAYROLL and PAYMENT PROCESSING. If you don't use those components, there is absolutely no charge. For the most part, it is user-friendly and straightforward, and the quality of its printed invoices, customer statements and reports is top-notch. I really appreciate the ability to create recurring invoices (subscription billing) and view monthly income/expense bar charts for a 1- or 2-year period.

Cons:

This is bookkeeping software that stresses simple data entry. However, it doesn't have features such as audit trails for transaction entries. With this program, it is possible to generate transactions, generate reports, and then reverse the transactions without any way of knowing that changes were made. Wave attempts to categorize your income and expenditures, but doesn't currently have the ability to remember your categorizations. But the thing I like least about this software is a BUG that causes the program to download bank transactions and incorrectly categorize them as duplicates of previously downloaded transactions if the transaction amounts match. This bug makes it difficult to find transactions when you are attempting to reconcile your transactions.

Luke
Retail, 2–10 Employees

A data-import nightmare - Stay away unless you love lost transactions

Comments: Support has been poor quality. As a paying customer of both their payroll service (which is solid) and their accounting coaching, I'm tremendously disappointed with the platform.

Pros:

The software at it's core is very easy to use. The reliability is however a complete failure.

Cons:

Throughout the past 3 years, Wave has been a game of 'make sure my bank works.' First, I closed incompatible credit card accounts in order to open accounts that were listed as compatible. A year later, Wave lost the connection with all of capital one due to an issue with switching data providers (from Plaid). Next, Chase bank cards also disappeared. When finally reconnecting, weeks worth of transactions were intermittently missing. For a software company who's core goal is to reduce manual data entry, this platform is a nightmare. Stay away.

Arthur
Arthur
CEO in South Africa
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 51–200 Employees

Wave Accounting Review

Comments: An overall exceptional experience using Wave for my accounting needs. The only drawback is the automated banking transaction allocation as well as payroll management are not available in my country.

Pros:

The basic version of the software is free and includes many features not found in paid versions. You don't need to purchase expensive add-ons to make it work for accounting, bookkeeping, or invoicing. Wave offers additional services that will help you improve your skills within the program. Wave automatically syncs your accounting and invoicing, making it a great choice for small businesses that want to consolidate and automate their bookkeeping and billing. Wave's invoicing capabilities are unlimited and completely free. Wave's invoicing features are also customizable and easy to use. Wave allows you to create customer profiles and send follow-up emails. You can also receive reminders and receipts for payment. Wave also offers a mobile app that lets you track and send invoices. Wave accounting has an intuitive interface that is simple to use. Wave accounting is different from other accounting software. Wave accounting is easy to use and requires no prior knowledge. It is easy to use, and you can learn quickly as you go.

Cons:

Wave's accounting software can be used for free. It's a great choice if you have a small business or don't need more advanced features. Wave's functionality is limited for businesses looking to grow. Wave does not provide multiple plans to increase its functionality, which limits its scalability. It offers limited customer service. Wave Accounting offers only self-service customer support. Wave Accounting offers only one-on-one support to Accounting customers through Wave's paid Accounting Coach option.

Ibrahima sadou
Président chez APTIC in Guinea
Accounting, 2–10 Employees

A simplified accounting management experience with Wave Accounting

Comments: Wave Accounting is popular online accounting software designed for small businesses and entrepreneurs. It offers a range of features, such as bank account management, invoicing, and accounting, to help businesses track their money and keep track of their finances in one place. It is often praised for its intuitive user interface and free features, which makes it accessible to businesses on a budget. However, some people may find certain features to be limited or lacking compared to other more advanced accounting software.

Pros:

Wave Accounting is a great online accounting platform for small businesses. It's easy to use and offers a variety of features to help you manage your finances efficiently.One of the best things about Wave is that it's free. This means that small businesses can access a professional accounting solution without having to spend a lot of money. Additionally, Wave is accessible online, which means you can access it from anywhere, anytime, which is very convenient for small businesses who want to manage their finances on the go.Wave also offers great integration with other tools like PayPal and Stripe, making it easy to manage payments and financial transactions. Additionally, Wave offers a variety of financial reports to help you understand the financial health of your business and make informed decisions.In conclusion, Wave Accounting is a great option for small businesses looking for a reliable and affordable online accounting solution. It offers a variety of features to help you effectively manage your finances and make informed business management decisions.

Cons:

Wave Accounting is popular online accounting software for small businesses and freelancers. It offers a range of features, including invoicing, accounting, expense management, and payment management, all designed to help users manage their finances efficiently.However, there are a few points that can be considered disadvantages for some users:Limited Features: Although Wave Accounting offers a number of useful features for small businesses and freelancers, it may lack some advanced features that are often required by larger businesses.Confusing UI: Some users may find the UI a bit confusing at first, as it may take some getting used to.Limited support: Wave Accounting does not offer phone support, which may be a drawback for some users who prefer to speak to a live representative.In general, Wave Accounting can be a good option for small businesses and freelancers looking for affordable and easy-to-use accounting software. However, it is important to consider these potential drawbacks when deciding whether Wave Accounting is right for your specific needs.

Nate
Nate

Be aware!

Comments: Be aware! Let’s get straight to it. No polishing, no lies. Wave’s actual system is pretty good. If it “actually” worked…
One sad truth about this company that you’ll notice right away is that their servers or hosting is worse than blogs were in 1980. It is slow, freezes and crashes all the time. Way too annoying to work with on a daily basis for a professional company. Bottom line: the system is unreliable.
Moving along to the stuff that matters even more… Customer service, honesty and professionalism. Uum, try again. You will not find any of that in this company. They clearly have no clue what it means to run a professional service. Last week I processed two transactions. Both of them were more than 2 grand.
Keep in mind that i’m a new startup that needs my money right away, or at least when promised.
2 days go by and no money. Okay…. here we go again. I email Wave asking what’s the deal with the money.
I say “again” because I had the same thing with my first few small transactions. But then I thought it was only because I was a new customer so they had to confirm some details. (by details I mean force me to show them communications between me and my clients).
That same day I get an email from the department that deals with the money saying in fancy words that they are withholding my money for security reasons until they can confirm some details. Again they ask for communications and authorizations. (who do they think they are?) I respond within 2 minutes with snapshots of communications and conversations straight from my client explaining who he is and that he authorized the payment. a day or two goes by and nothing. You can imagine how angry I feel about now. Projects are on hold, business stops, Wave is running me into the ground…. Of course there is no one to talk to until you sign up for the live chat at ($9 a month). So I sign up, because I cannot wait. Open a chat, explain to the woman really respectfully what is going on, she looks it up for 10 minutes and responds by saying that she sees my ticket (email) and that she will escalate it to the top… blah blah blah. So there I learn that live chat is basically if you have a question regarding the functions of the site, but it is basically useless regarding the things that really matter. MY MONEY!
In short, you CANNOT contact anyone about it, you can only email. But emails, despite their promises may take 3 days get answered.
So I send another email asking what’s going on and get a response that since I submitted 2 emails my ticket was moved back down to the bottom. (That wad their way of apologizing or exusing themselves). In that same email they don’t tell me that my snapshot isn’t sufficient or anything like that (even though it worked for the first 3 transactions), they tell me that they need to speak to my clients to confirm payments…. Really? …. wow, okay I respond within 2 minutes with two phone numbers. (this is Friday after 5pm) One of my clients get’s a phone call, confirms payment and they tell him that the money will be released “right away”. The second client get’s a phone call, but misses it. (He is still waiting for another phone call). And of course you cannot call them back, because they use fake phone numbers using local area codes. Well, guess what? The money from the first client that got the phone call from them was not released… and it’s Tuesday already. (almost a week from when I processed the transaction). Never heard anything back from them in past 3 days!! Conclusion: (aside from me being so frustrated, hardly able to contain myself) Well, firstly I would like to say that I switched to Quickbooks online right away. They are a professional company with lower rates and faster deposit times (ONE DAY!). And you can call them! The only reason I chose Wave over Square is because they had a good invoicing system. But i’ve used Square before and never had issues like this. What I mean is this: Why make an issue when there is none????
Wave makes security issues when there is none.
I’m a legal, professional company in the United States. Why in the world would you pretend like there are security issues with my transactions if no one ever disputed or complained? There is no answer. Because if there was a valid answer, Square and Quickbooks would be the same concerned.
Stop making issues where there are none.
I would advise anyone reading this to go with Square or Quickbooks. You will end up being much happier. Unless you can afford these criminals withholding your money for as long as they like. So again: system: too slow, crashes and freezes. OH, and annoying advertisements.
Support: only for functionality questions.
Service: absolutely horrible and un professional.
You choose. Thanks!

Miguel
Computer Software, 2–10 Employees

Accounting, with all the bells and whistles, no costs.

Comments: My business accounting needs are not big. My business is small and provides a limited number of offerings that are easily tracked with any application. So, when I was looking for an accounting solution to further simplify and automate some functions, I was surprised at the number of products and the wide range of prices out there. I stumbled across Wave by accident and decided to give it a try. Besides being free, the list of standard features was greater than all other products out there... from free competitive services to paid basic subscriptions. Wave is truly amazing and I have found it extremely helpful. I use it primarily to bill clients: I create invoices, submit them via email, receive payments online, and request receipts to be sent to clients after payment. Wave provides notifications and simplifies all of my accounting in one place. I would not use any other product.

Pros:

Wave is free, and packed with features one would typically pay for in other premium products. Wave is the perfect accounting solution for small businesses. For starters, it offers all the essential features ANY business needs... plus more. Manage estimates, invoices, and statements with ease. It even supports recurring invoicing, manage payments, and build a massive library of products and services to choose from for your estimates and invoices. Wave even manages receipts, bills and vendors to track expenses. Like more control than just simple single entries? Wave supports traditional double-entry accounting as well, for increase control of your business accounting needs. Need to accept credit card payments? Wave has a built-in merchant account feature that let's you collect payments online through your invoices. Make email invoices, or attach them as PDF files. And when you get paid, Wave notifies you. Funds are transferred to your connected business account in a couple of days. Reporting? Wave has you covered. All essential reports are available at your fingertips: financial statements, taxes, customers, vendors, and other general reports. And if your business has employees, Wave can handle your payroll. But this feature is a premium... everything else is part of your free account.

IC in US
Consumer Goods, Self Employed

Great alternative to Quickbooks for small biz users

Comments: I have two small e-commerce business, and needed a way to track my inventory purchases, sales, shipping expenses, etc. I also had two independent contractor businesses, needing to track expenses such as mileage, supplies, etc. With Wave, I have each venture as a separate company, I can customize the chart of accounts for each one, create invoices for my independent contractor gigs, track invoice status so I don't overlook if something doesn't get paid on time, and review my income and expenses each month. I sometimes do consignment sales for clients in my e-commerce business, and Wave helps me keep track of those sales and settle up with clients each month. Truly a lot of great features offered, and I don't even use all of them (like Banking & Payroll). So glad I found Wave, and I have recommended it to many others.

Pros:

Wave offers a lot of the basic accounting functions needed for small business users, and the best part is that it's FREE TO USE! Woo hoo! I used QuickBooks in my previous career, and liked the detail it provided, but once I started my own small e-commerce business, I didn't want to spend hundreds of dollars on software, or get locked into a recurring monthly subscription. I was thrilled to find Wave and amazed that it was FREE!

Cons:

I wish there was a keyword search function in the Transactions section. Sometimes I need to look for a specific transaction but don't remember the exact date it occurred, so have to scroll through several pages to find what I'm seeking. A workaround is to export an Income Statement, then search or sort in Excel, but obviously that takes several extra steps and time. But since it's not costing me anything, this is a minor inconvenience.

Mark
Mark
Proposal Manager in Canada
Information Technology & Services, 51–200 Employees

Small business accounting, invoicing, credit card processing for minimal cost

Pros:

As many other reviews have stated, there is no subscription cost for Wave, which is great. There have been a number of features added to Wave since I started to use it, such as recurring invoicing/credit card processing and direct bank payments. Wave's support is helpful, money is transferred quickly, and my invoices look great. I am providing a more detailed review than I did the first time, but I have "sung the praises" of Wave a few times. (Including on Twitter, and they promptly thanked me for it - they listen, which is great). Wave is Canadian, and they are based in Toronto, but that is only one reason I chose to work with their service. I have a couple of complaints about their service, but nothing serious enough which would cause me to switch services. The flexibility of PDF/web-based invoices is great, retains client details, and it just gets the job done for me as a freelancer.

Cons:

On a few occasions, my invoices got picked up by my clients' spam filters, so I tend to use the PDF invoice option. Not a big issue, I've followed up on it. Also if I take payment through PayPal, I can get paid in US funds, but I have to invoice in Canadian funds only through Wave because my bank is in Canada (even if I have a US funds account). Oh well, again, no big deal. Apparently, there is auto-reconcile of transactions through AI functionality in Wave's future, which will address another pet peeve I have, but again no big deal.