15 years helping Irish businesses

Wave Accounting Reviews

4.4 (1,519) Write a Review!

About Wave Accounting

Wave offers small business owners real double-entry accounting that is integrated with the rest of Wave's solutions, 100% free!

Learn more about Wave Accounting

Pros:

Since it is free, I expected customer service to be non-existent, but they do respond and resolve issues through their messaging system. You can also share info with your accountant.

Cons:

It was disappointing when UK bank syncing stopped. Would prefer more options on personal designs for Invoices and Receipts.

Wave Accounting ratings

4.5
4.0
4.3
4.7

8.5/10

Wave Accounting has an overall rating of 4.4 out 5 stars based on 1,519 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Wave Accounting before?

Filter reviews (1,519)

Caroline
Caroline
Chief Operating Officer in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2–10 Employees

Great affordable payment and accounting software for small business

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

Managing client invoices, recurring payments and account dashboard to see the business profitability

Cons:

Harder for my bookkeeper to use with tracking year end taxes and P&L (previously experienced with QB)

Ashley
Office Manager in US
Automotive, 2–10 Employees

Accounting without a Cost

4.0 6 days ago New

Comments: I loved this software/app so much that I actually decided to open a personal account and use it for mine and my husbands personal finances! I had been using the good ole trusty excel for this. But this makes everything so much nicer. It imports all my husbands charges and then I can code them and see just where our money is going. Not to mention, it has help the business I work for be more successful in bringing in a bigger profit! If you are trying to decided between software's and don't know where to start, try Wave for your business accounting needs.

Pros:

The first greatest thing about Wave is that is FREE!!! If you are just starting out, or a small business where overhead and expense need to be kept to a minimum, I recommend this app. It has all basic functions you need like, quotes, invoicing, statements, entering bills, receipts, reconciling bank statements, etc. All of these services including reporting are included in the free software! It has payroll functions for an additional charge, which we have opted out of for the time being. You can even link your bank account to it and it will import all the your debits and credits for reconciling. Also, this software is super user friendly and you do not need to be a tech expert to understand it. It will set you up with preloaded items it thinks you need for your business and then you can change them or delete them. You can also add new ones super easy while doing this or after the fact. I really love that its cloud base and can be accessed anywhere. This makes it key for me when traveling for work.

Cons:

Honestly Wave is pretty awesome that it was hard to find cons with it. The only drawback for me is the reporting. I wish I was able to customize them and select certain data to analyze. The reports are basic and standard, they just don't quite cover what I am looking for in my reporting.

Venture Capital & Private Equity, 51–200 Employees

Not made for Today's business market

Comments: Recommended by out bank, we tried them out. Big mistake. There is no telephone support, only chat support, which stops working about 30 minutes before closing time (they say they work 9-5 EST). Their process for us to start accepting credit cards took 3 months. Everytime we get paid online, funds get withheld until you provide supporting documentation which takes weeks to process and multiple, escalating questions. Overall, a waste of time with a system that was supposed to take the hassle out of online invoicing.

Pros:

The app allows you to be able to keep track of your expenses on the go

Cons:

Billing and payments: every time you get paid with their credit card system, they withhold payments until you provide supporting documentation and their back and forths take forever. You can also not connect other systems like PayPal or Stripe. So you are stuck with their merchant processing if you want to accept payments on the go.

Sheila
owner in US
Consumer Services, 2–10 Employees

Wave Accounting is the absolute best

Comments: Our experince with this program has been great and we would not use another program. Our administrative staff has been able to use the program with minimal training. We love the program and will continue to use it.

Pros:

Wave is a simply to use accounting program that allows us to create invoice, receive payemnts, view and print reports and keep up with money that is owed to us. We are able to use this program for all of our accounting and bookkeeping needs. It is so easy to use and the product support is superior to other accounting programs.

Cons:

There is nothing not to like about this program

Clyde
Pastor in Bahamas
Nonprofit Organisation Management, 51–200 Employees

The Best Cost Efficient Accounting Software

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: It was an excellent experience in all aspects, particularly when it came to creating the relevant financial reports

Pros:

The software was a savior for our organization, as we needed something easy to understand, practical, and to be able to access and management from an online system. Wave accounting was above and beyond the best accounting software we had used to date. My absolute favorite accounting software!

Cons:

Setting up the account initially was a challenging process, as the navigation was a bit difficult.

Human Resources Generalist in US
Hospital & Health Care, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Easy to create and send invoices, quotes and payments

Comments: Invoices, estimates, and receipts, along with yearly accounting tools, can be easily managed. Simple to set up, and you may include many companies in a single profile.

Pros:

We were looking for a low-cost solution, and Wave met our needs for our two subsidiaries. Accounting software that doesn't break the bank. The billing and payment process runs smoothly.

Cons:

I can only view reports once a year and cannot download individual reports or combine them. It's difficult to plan for cash flow in the financial realm.

Robert
Ceo in Canada

Wave Apps Rocks

5.0 last week New

Comments: Our experience from start to finish was really good.

Pros:

Wave Apps was easy to use and easy to setup. It makes our business much easier to run.

Cons:

There was really nothing to not like. The product is amazing.

Renee
Co Owner in US
Restaurants, 2–10 Employees

Recommend ed by accountants. Great for small businesses

Pros:

Free and so much less complicated than other expensive programs

Cons:

Haven’t had anything yet. Great experience and easy. I’m not an accountant so I love it

Management Consulting, 51–200 Employees

Accounting without Stress

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Easy to use, integrate with other applications and preparation of financial reports

Pros:

Super accounting application which is free, user-friendly, secure and with many features to assist in the whole accounting process for sole-proprietor or other SMEs

Cons:

The fact that it is now only available in the USA and Canada, thus blocking other local currency features.

Dlkhosh
CEO in Iraq
Accounting, 11–50 Employees

Wave Accounting Review

4.0 last month New

Pros:

The software is Free.Has Unlimited invoicing with customizable templates and payment terms and dedicated invoicing mobile app.

Cons:

Since it's free so customer service is not available until you subscribe

Management Consulting, Self Employed

Wonderful accounting software for starting and growing a service business

Comments: I haven't gone through a tax season with my business yet, but I have been an independent consultant and I anticipate having everything tracked in Wave is going to help me out a lot come April. It's so easy to use and I can focus on my core business rather than spending a lot of time on admin.

Pros:

Wave helps me do so much. I can issue invoices, track them (I.e. I can see when a client has viewed it!), and allow clients to make payments directly through the invoice. I can also customize my invoice, which is great. I could do all of this from day 1. I'm a solopreneur and launched my business this summer. I was able to issue professional invoices from day 1 and track my expenses using their receipts app. The other thing I love about Wave is that they are very interested in feedback from their customers. I've had a few interactions with them and it's always been really pleasant. It's also free which helps me out a lot. I do use the credit card payments, which has a fee like any other service would.

Cons:

Their mobile app could use some work, and I've given them this feedback. The receipts app is great to take pictures really quickly, but I generally have to use the browser to do anything else.

Proinsias
Proinsias
Owner Manager Digital Specialist in Ireland
Online Media, Self Employed

Wave Accounting is great for a Startup Business

Comments: I was very happy with the invoicing, payments, and the Design and functionality. I was able to search past transactions very easily. I did not pay for premium support, but the support that I recieve is excellent.

Pros:

It was free to use the accounting services I was able to invoice customers using Stripe as a Payment Gateway which was great value The Design and User Interface is very professional compared to others that I have seen The Payment Gateway was also very professional when sent to customers, it added to the credibility of the business

Cons:

My particular Bank would not allow me to sync my account with Wave, but that was a local issue not a general issue. I was very very happy with the invoicing. but I always felt that the ledger views were not as robust.

Photographer in US
Photography, Self Employed

Best accounting software to grow as a small business

Comments: The overall experience with Wave has been very good. With some hiccups on the roadmap, Wave has evolved by leaps and bounds from a pretty basic software to quite a powerhouse, even for the free version. If my business grows and I will feel the need to add more features such as payroll and tax advisor use, I will still remain a Wave believer!

Pros:

I've used Wave since 2009!!! I feel like my company grew with it. It's helped me understand all I was doing right (and wrong!) financially in my business. It helps tremendously when filing monthly sales taxes. I keep a habit of staying organized, verifying all transactions and reconciling with my bank accounts. All of this, plus categorizing everything the right way makes tax time an absolute breeze - my taxes are done in two days and I don't need to freak out about it because everything is organized ahead of time and all I do is input expenses and sales.

Cons:

What I least like about Wave is that a few years ago they stopped support for free accounts. Absolutely no human support whatsoever. Disagree with that big time!!! Sometimes also a bank connection will be interrupted and you cannot reconnect for many many months and since there is no support, you are left without any help. I am a small business of one person and I do not need any of the paid features that Wave offers so I could be upgraded to paid support, so I am always stuck in no human support land. It doesn't feel good, especially to someone who has used this software for as long as I have.

Suzanne
Professional Photographer in Canada
Photography, Self Employed

Wave error messed up my entire system and they want to charge me $3000 to fix it

Comments: It was good while it lasted, before their system made my data unusable. They really tried to be helpful, I chatted with several friendly people online, all of whom were unable to resolve my issues. They were unable to refer me to a WaveApps specialist in my area. Ultimately their solution was to offer me one of their bookkeepers at a cost of $3000 to fix the problem they created. No thanks.

Pros:

It was wonderfully easy to use, the invoices looked professional and payment processing features were handy.

Cons:

TLDR: Major syncing, reconciling and support issues Two of my accounts synced twice (so I had four accounts in Wave where there should have been two) and they were unable to fix this. Their suggested fixes did not work. They have chat and email support but no phone support and even though they logged in as an admin they were unable to fix this problem. A recent update to their system caused my entire past four years of records to be unreconciled, and the only fix was to go back to the beginning of time and compare each transaction ever made. They offered me a bookkeeper to do this for me for $269/month for a minimum of 12 months, despite my being very diligent about keeping my account up to date for the past four years. I have switched to another system now.

Jamie
Owner in Canada
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

Everything a small business needs for invoicing

Comments: I love Wave. I switched from Freshbooks years ago and it was such a good move. Wave is so easy to use which means you save time and money.

Pros:

Wave is super simple to use. It's well laid out, intuitive and easy to use. I've been using Wave for years after switching from Freshbooks.

Cons:

Occasionally, Wave has issues sending invoices to Gmail addresses. This is very surprising given how prevalent Gmail is and I would hope they'd sort this out.

Chirag
Managing Director in Canada
Accounting, 2–10 Employees

Scam alert - Worst Customer Service Ever - Free is not a good price, it actually is a worst price

Comments: Frustrating. To the point where employees are not even getting paid as promised. Money will be gone from your account but employees will not get it and you almost feel like fraud. Please stay away from this product even if you get paid to use this.

Pros:

Easy to use if it works but it does not work most of the time.

Cons:

1) Customer service - lowest level we have ever experienced. The careless approach, lethargic service, bank connection issues and processing delays are beyond imagination in this digital age. 2) They have many exciting features at a lucrative price but the company is in a mess and nothing works. 3) No guarantee on Payroll deposit to your employee account and we have experienced that employees are not getting paid as promised. Yes - Correct. It is that bad. 4) Bank connection issues about 95% time with most of the bank. At our CPA firm, we were recommending this software to clients. Not anymore. Stay away from this product.

James
James
Research Manager in Ghana
Research, Self Employed

Best FREE Accounting and Invoicing App for Small businesses/Freelancers

Comments: WAVE is the best inexpensive mobile and cloud accounting software out there. I doubt if there is any accounting and invoicing software that can provide all of WAVE's features for free!

Pros:

I use Wave Mobile App for my business' finance, for managing my income and expenses. I use wave for billing and creating invoices for my clients. After using Wave for over 2 years now, I can say it works quite well. It allows me to create client contacts, which the app automatically uses to create client record books. The interface is simple and easy to get along with. The fingerprint unlock integration is one of my best features because I am able to sign in to the app without trying hard to remember passwords or pins. Above all, I think the best thing about Wave is, you get most of the relevant features needed for FREE!

Cons:

There are few hitches I encounter using wave. I am not able to write off a partly paid bill as bad debt if all attempts to reclaim the payment from my clients fail. Sometimes, people pay about 70% and fail to pay for the rest. In order to close the invoice, I will have to mark it as completely paid and doing that can overstate or affect my financial records and reports within Wave.

Elly
Web Designer and Developer in US
Design, 2–10 Employees

OBSESSED

Comments: From the beginning, it has been fantastic. I manage all of my business accounting through it. I don't even remember how I found it so many years ago, but I cannot say enough good things about it!

Pros:

This makes my accounting SO EASY! Not only am able to easily keep track of my expenses and costs associated with my business, but I'm able to create, issue, and track invoices. AND, to top it off, the invoices are so nice looking (which, as a designer, is a big deal to me). I can not only issue invoices, but track whether they have been opened, viewed, and/or paid. And when it comes to figuring out my taxes, the system makes it so simple to get whatever information I need. Finally, while I don't use it yet, I will be enabling online payments this upcoming year so my customers can pay their invoices online. Based on my experience thus far, I have NO doubt it will be great!

Cons:

This is a difficult one as I really don't have a dislike.... If I really think about it, I guess I wish I could have different addresses (for me) on difference invoices based on the customer. I have two locations so it would be nice to be able to just issue invoices with different business addresses based on the customer.

Vincent
Accounts & Admin officer in Fiji

Wave Accounting for SME in Fiji

Comments: Wave Accounting is very cost efficient & cost effective for small businesses here in Fiji. The overall experience has been a pleasant one and I would recommend it to small business owners only.

Pros:

Right off the bat, perhaps the biggest pro of Wave Accounting is the fact that it is 100% free. A simple plug & play app that allows users the ability to have an accounting software to keep their books in order. Also, like QuickBooks, the feature that allows users to attach source documents with the transactions is a huge plus. It is very useful in Fiji because our Tax Authority conducts random audits & failure to produce source documents results in huge fines and penalties. The home look as soon as you login is very useful too. It shows the expenses breakdown over a certain period along with other charts like your Profit & Loss as well as your cash flows. Wave Accounting is really good for small & medium business owners who have limited accounting knowledge. The software does the work for them and it is very straightforward.

Cons:

Perhaps the biggest drawback for me is the difficulty in producing specific reports. I tried to produce an Accounts Payable report to see the Tax Input the business had for the 1st Quarter of 2020. However, the options provided was limited and therefore key fields were left out of selection. Although you could import data from Wave Accounting to Excel, it is very limited. Also, being in Fiji, I noticed that features like Payroll & Banking options are not available here. This was a drawback especially because Bank Reconciliation had to be manually done on an external app or software.

Robert
CEO in Canada

Why I Love Wave Accounting

Comments: Generally really good. Migrating was easy and the entire move to Wave was seemless.

Pros:

For a business owner, Wave Accounting is an amazing product. Basic features are free. This helps save money and it is easier to use than products like Quickbooks or Sage.

Cons:

I wish some of the invoicing search features would be a little easier to use.

Jack
Owner in Canada
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

Wave has amazing functionality for a free product, but it's not as good as it should be

Comments: I have been using Accounting by Wave for nearly three years. It was a replacement for my Simply Accounting program. I am forever wondering how Wave can afford to make such a polished product available at no cost. Initially, there were ads, but now that they have a revenue stream from additional services, the ads have been removed. I have opted not to use their in-built payment processing feature, but I imagine it would be similar to Paypal in terms of the fees. Day-to-day operation of the program is smooth. They use a Zapier interface to my bank to update balances and download transactions. This interface is quite slow, although the speed has improved somewhat over the years. As bank transactions are imported, they are categorized into various income/expense categories. I find the categorization to be fairly unhelpful. Even after the user changes the categorization of transactions, Wave does not remember these settings. The next time data is downloaded, it will use the same, incorrect categories as the previous time. Wave is currently rolling out a new version of their software, which promises improvements to the AI (artificial intelligence) capabilities. I hope this means they will remember user-defined categorizations, but until my account is updated, I cannot speculate. There is one VERY ANNOYING bug in the program that I have described in the CONS section, since I've run out of space here.

Pros:

The software is FREE for everything other than PAYROLL and PAYMENT PROCESSING. If you don't use those components, there is absolutely no charge. For the most part, it is user-friendly and straightforward, and the quality of its printed invoices, customer statements and reports is top-notch. I really appreciate the ability to create recurring invoices (subscription billing) and view monthly income/expense bar charts for a 1- or 2-year period.

Cons:

This is bookkeeping software that stresses simple data entry. However, it doesn't have features such as audit trails for transaction entries. With this program, it is possible to generate transactions, generate reports, and then reverse the transactions without any way of knowing that changes were made. Wave attempts to categorize your income and expenditures, but doesn't currently have the ability to remember your categorizations. But the thing I like least about this software is a BUG that causes the program to download bank transactions and incorrectly categorize them as duplicates of previously downloaded transactions if the transaction amounts match. This bug makes it difficult to find transactions when you are attempting to reconcile your transactions.

Luke
Owner in US
Retail, 2–10 Employees

A data-import nightmare - Stay away unless you love lost transactions

Comments: Support has been poor quality. As a paying customer of both their payroll service (which is solid) and their accounting coaching, I'm tremendously disappointed with the platform.

Pros:

The software at it's core is very easy to use. The reliability is however a complete failure.

Cons:

Throughout the past 3 years, Wave has been a game of 'make sure my bank works.' First, I closed incompatible credit card accounts in order to open accounts that were listed as compatible. A year later, Wave lost the connection with all of capital one due to an issue with switching data providers (from Plaid). Next, Chase bank cards also disappeared. When finally reconnecting, weeks worth of transactions were intermittently missing. For a software company who's core goal is to reduce manual data entry, this platform is a nightmare. Stay away.

Arthur
Arthur
CEO in South Africa
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 51–200 Employees

Wave Accounting Review

Comments: An overall exceptional experience using Wave for my accounting needs. The only drawback is the automated banking transaction allocation as well as payroll management are not available in my country.

Pros:

The basic version of the software is free and includes many features not found in paid versions. You don't need to purchase expensive add-ons to make it work for accounting, bookkeeping, or invoicing. Wave offers additional services that will help you improve your skills within the program. Wave automatically syncs your accounting and invoicing, making it a great choice for small businesses that want to consolidate and automate their bookkeeping and billing. Wave's invoicing capabilities are unlimited and completely free. Wave's invoicing features are also customizable and easy to use. Wave allows you to create customer profiles and send follow-up emails. You can also receive reminders and receipts for payment. Wave also offers a mobile app that lets you track and send invoices. Wave accounting has an intuitive interface that is simple to use. Wave accounting is different from other accounting software. Wave accounting is easy to use and requires no prior knowledge. It is easy to use, and you can learn quickly as you go.

Cons:

Wave's accounting software can be used for free. It's a great choice if you have a small business or don't need more advanced features. Wave's functionality is limited for businesses looking to grow. Wave does not provide multiple plans to increase its functionality, which limits its scalability. It offers limited customer service. Wave Accounting offers only self-service customer support. Wave Accounting offers only one-on-one support to Accounting customers through Wave's paid Accounting Coach option.

Ibrahima sadou
Président chez APTIC in Guinea

A simplified accounting management experience with Wave Accounting

Comments: Wave Accounting is popular online accounting software designed for small businesses and entrepreneurs. It offers a range of features, such as bank account management, invoicing, and accounting, to help businesses track their money and keep track of their finances in one place. It is often praised for its intuitive user interface and free features, which makes it accessible to businesses on a budget. However, some people may find certain features to be limited or lacking compared to other more advanced accounting software.

Pros:

Wave Accounting is a great online accounting platform for small businesses. It's easy to use and offers a variety of features to help you manage your finances efficiently.One of the best things about Wave is that it's free. This means that small businesses can access a professional accounting solution without having to spend a lot of money. Additionally, Wave is accessible online, which means you can access it from anywhere, anytime, which is very convenient for small businesses who want to manage their finances on the go.Wave also offers great integration with other tools like PayPal and Stripe, making it easy to manage payments and financial transactions. Additionally, Wave offers a variety of financial reports to help you understand the financial health of your business and make informed decisions.In conclusion, Wave Accounting is a great option for small businesses looking for a reliable and affordable online accounting solution. It offers a variety of features to help you effectively manage your finances and make informed business management decisions.

Cons:

Wave Accounting is popular online accounting software for small businesses and freelancers. It offers a range of features, including invoicing, accounting, expense management, and payment management, all designed to help users manage their finances efficiently.However, there are a few points that can be considered disadvantages for some users:Limited Features: Although Wave Accounting offers a number of useful features for small businesses and freelancers, it may lack some advanced features that are often required by larger businesses.Confusing UI: Some users may find the UI a bit confusing at first, as it may take some getting used to.Limited support: Wave Accounting does not offer phone support, which may be a drawback for some users who prefer to speak to a live representative.In general, Wave Accounting can be a good option for small businesses and freelancers looking for affordable and easy-to-use accounting software. However, it is important to consider these potential drawbacks when deciding whether Wave Accounting is right for your specific needs.

Josh
Senior Copywriter in
Marketing & Advertising, 5,001–10,000 Employees
Used the Software for: Not provided

I want to like Wave, and have been trying for years

Comments: ..., but I need them to help me figure it out. I have a full-time salaried job as a copywriter and a few self-employment careers, like freelance writing, voice acting. I've always found doing my taxes to be a nightmare. I'd spend months stressing about it and trying to calculate income and expenses. Originally, I was adding up all my expenses with a calculator. When I discovered I could put things into Excel, it got a bit easier add numbers. And then about 4 or 5 years ago, I started using a new accountant, and he suggested Wave to me. I was excited to hear that it would important my bank and credit card statements, and that I could then quickly and easily categorize everything. I was sure this would save me so much time and stress. But I found Wave very hard to use. I wasn't sure how to create my own categories. I could never tell if my statements had been uploaded completely, and I would often wind up with duplicate transactions. And I still can't find a way to view the categories after I've allocated transactions to them. I tweeted to Wave a lot, and they were nice enough to send one their IT guys to sit with me in a coffee shop for a few hours. He watched as I tried to do things and he gave me help. He said this was useful to him, to see what people might be having trouble with. And, I figured I would then be ok. But I'm still having a lot of trouble. I'm not asking a lot. All I want to be able to do is import my bank statements and credit card statements, and categorize all the transactions. And being able to invoice people would be nice too. And it seems that his app has those features. But I still find it very complicated. I don't understand the categories. I can't find where the totals are. And lately, my mbna Mastercard has been saying it can't link to Wave. So tonight, I went in and started deleting all the transactions from 2014, hoping that I could start fresh and be sure that everything was imported correctly. But now I see that mbna won't give me the data files for before August (that's an mbna problem, not Wave) and I can't undelete what I deleted. And there's no way to get support without paying for it. But I don't want to pay until I'm confident the site can do the simple things I need it to do. Anyway, I'd love to support a local Toronto company. And I appreciate that someone from the company sat with me in person. And I see people reviewing positively, saying it makes a freelancers life easy. Someone even tweeted today that Wave makes doing accounting fun. But I just don't understand how people are able to use this site. If someone from the company, or one of the satisfied customers, could explain to me how to use this site properly, I'd love to be converted. But at this point, I fear I need to cut my loses and simplify my life by paying for some other software. I just want to be able to file my taxes and concentrate on my creative projects.

Pros:

It seems like it offers the ability to import credit card and bank statements, categorize expenses, and invoice people. Those are the features I want. But...

Cons:

...I haven't been able to figure out how to smoothly and accurately use the features I want. This app is making my life harder than it was when I just manually typed in all my expenses into a Microsoft Word and added them up with a calculator.

Wave Apps Response

8 years ago

Thanks for sharing with us your experience. Firstly, thanks for being such a valuable customer over the years. We especially appreciate your patience trying to make WaveApps work for your financials. We have available Premium Support for customers who are getting started with Wave. We suggest those looking to best learn work arounds, and setting up proper customizations subscribe to our chat and phone support (unlimited - 9am-5pm EDT M-F) - $49 for three months. You can place a call and speak to one of our product specialists to help you work through your challenge. If you could reach out to me [email protected]. We'll try to match you with a member of our team to help troubleshoot since you have invested your valuable time into Wave to manage your business financials. Jennifer from Wave