JumpCloud Directory Platform Reviews

4.7 (192) Write a Review!

About JumpCloud Directory Platform

The JumpCloud Directory Platform reimagines the directory as a complete platform for identity, access, and device management.

Learn more about JumpCloud Directory Platform

Pros:

Powerful features allowing you to integrate Single Sign-On and develop a platform for frictionless access from any device to any resource.

JumpCloud Directory Platform ratings

4.5
4.6
4.4
4.5

8.7/10

JumpCloud Directory Platform has an overall rating of 4.7 out 5 stars based on 192 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used JumpCloud Directory Platform before?

Diana
Diana
Owner in US

Great LDAP solutions for small businesses

Comments: Small businesses that need to become more operational mature in handling their staff and managing users but maybe can't afford an on premise Windows server or want to keep everything in the cloud - this is where JumpCloud reigns supreme.

Pros:

The price is probably number 1 thing i like! Free for under 10 users. A great way for me as an IT professional to help smaller businesses get onto a stable platform for properly managing their users and devices, with room to expand as their companies grow. Great integrations with other apps (we use Office365 for most clients). With JumpCloud a small company really doesn't need a Windows Active Directory server on premises any longer.

Cons:

No customer service for the free licenses - I get why, but I don't have to like it. It would be less annoying if the knowledgebase was a bit streamlined better. Can be difficult to find How-To information. Usually the article is there but is not intuitive and easy to find.

IT Architect in Singapore
Information Technology & Services, 5,001-10,000 Employees

Holistic And Neutral Solution For IAM And Device Management

Comments: JumpCloud is the only solution which can provide an authoritative directory, an IdP for SAML and device management combined in a single unified SaaS-based solution. The neutral approach by serving well established standards such as LDAP, SAML and RADIUS for AuthN/AuthZ and having the capability to managed identities (user and their devices) and credentials including SSH-keys on devices is a true differentiator to competitive solutions. On top, JumpCloud's agent for devices enables broad and versatile capabilities to deploy software, configure endpoints and even use this for remediation purposes. Recently, extremely useful additional capabilities have further enabled the value of this solution. Broad insights about systems and the directory itself, consumable via UI and API's, not only helps IT admins in their daily operations, but also serves well for Information Security and GRC-related purposes such as auditing and compliance. Their API's have also enabled capabilities to better orchestrate and automate the on-/offboarding of users and their respective devices and gives good options to venture into ChatOps. New features related to MDM for macOS are now giving an opportunity to further simplify the overall management of the Apple-flee. Especially since macOS Big Sur, the stronger focus on MDM is another enabler.

Pros:

The most important benegit, as highlighted above, is that there is no reliance on any on-premise or self-hosted directory infrastructure. A cloud-native solutions such as JumpCloud allows to operate efficiently without being forced to configure, maintain, operate and secure a footprint-heavy stack.

Cons:

Until now, MFA is limited compared to other players in the field like Cisco Duo. More options, such as Push-MFA or even QR-codes to be used as multiple factors during authentication across devices and protocols, including LDAP/RADIUS, would further enable leaner footprints and higher efficiency.

Danny
Technical Team Lead and Systems Administrator in UK
Design, 11-50 Employees

Works well until it doesn't, then it'll take a long time to get right.

Pros:

Seamless, Platform agnostic SSO and User account management. Cloud LDAP Sync to MS and Google. Does what it says on the tin, Managing Admin and User access is a breeze as is tracking our company assets while working from home. Highly portable (our workforce all WFH as primary place of work since Covid).

Cons:

Mac installer is a bit temperamental. Console on mobile is not responsive. Clears saved payment details without warning. Customer Service takes ages (no international support outside US business hours), we had our account suspended and it took over 5 days to get access to our businesses IT SSO.

Owner in US

Everything I Need, Without the Aggravation of AD

Comments: I have been very happy with JumpCloud. I used to run an ActiveDirectory system for the small amount of users I have, and AD is so old, clunky, and often overkill. This is a lightweight solution that can allow you to manage your organization with ease using users, groups, and policies. Setting up a user in another state is just a click away on the panel.

Pros:

Very simple, quick package install that takes seconds. I love that the agent runs as service with a tiny footprint. You make changes using the web console, and they propagate down within a minute. Password syncing is not an issue. Just as if you were using AD, password syncing works fast. I loved how easy it was to setup RADIUS for wireless. I had it up and running within a couple of minutes. Agent installation on our machines was either done by a small installer, or in the case of Linux, a simple copy-and-paste command pasted into the terminal.

Cons:

No mobile app yet. I am hoping this will change in the future so I can make changes without having to log into the browser.

Idan
Idan
Director of Cyber Security in Israel
Facilities Services, 501-1,000 Employees

JumpCloud enables remote Workforce

Comments: The problem that I'm solving is inherent in how we built our business. We have offices around the world, work from anywhere culture, and many cloud bases "as-a-service" solutions that allow us to be agile. JumpCloud allows our IT to be more agile.

Pros:

I like the flexibility in deployment and can use the features at my own pace. For example, integrating JumpCloud to manage Google Workspace while retaining Google Sign-In keeps the employee experience the same while allowing my IT teams to manage the workforce more efficiently. Another feature that I find most valuable is the device management solution, specifically Windows. We can deploy and control systems in seconds from anywhere in the world.

Cons:

Directory Insights, a valuable tool for me, is still not polished enough. I would love to see more filtering, custom query building, reporting, and the ability to create alerts.

Ella
Ella
Desktop Engineer in US
Internet, 51-200 Employees

A management platform with incredible features – and some downfalls

Comments: JumpCloud is an interesting product in that it's a bit of an all-or-nothing situation. For companies that half-way commit to implementing JumpCloud, it's terrible and confusing. But for the companies I've worked with that have fully committed to making JumpCloud their source of truth for identity management, computer account management, and SSO, it's been great.

Pros:

The parts that work well in JumpCloud are amazing. The best feature, in my opinion, is the local user account management on computers. Being able to remotely reset a password, add a new account, or shut down an account instantly is something that no other SaaS offering can match at this level.

Cons:

There are some pretty big gaps in features and functionality. No smart user or computer groups. No FileVault key rotation. Software deployment leaves a lot to be desired.

Ahron
Ahron
Systems Engineer in US

Jumpcloud as our primary directory

Comments: Overall Jumpcloud has been a great way to integrate cloud and operating system logins for our company

Pros:

broad support for many platforms as well as many login languages and operating systems

Cons:

I feel like despite paying for the best customer service that we dont always get the most knowledgeable people supporting us

Information Technology Analyst in US
Printing, 51-200 Employees

JumpCloud Directory Platform - Windows, MacOS, Linux

Pros:

LDAP as a service, policy and identity management, and user set up (SSO, assigned directories) were all critical features we use on a daily basis and work well.

Cons:

Limited policy creation settings, could use custom policies or a larger variety of presets on both Windows and MacOS.

Partner in US

Great AD alternative

Comments: With end users using G Suite for file storage and sharing, we are able to manage PCs and end user credentials without needing to deploy Active Directory.

Pros:

Easy to manage web interface with clear categories and policies.

Cons:

Client installation on PCs was more complex than I would have liked.

Ian
Ian
Support engineer in US
Automotive, 51-200 Employees

Jumpcloud Review

4.0 4 weeks ago New

Pros:

Jumpcloud seems to cover everything we needed regarding password rotation and keeping a device up to date.

Cons:

It's definitely a lot easier to use on a windows machine over a Mac.

Jason
CISO in US
Financial Services, 51-200 Employees

M&C JC Review

Comments: It has allowed me to leave Microsoft. No more servers. Just Jumpcloud.com -

Pros:

I like using the commands feature mostly out of the all of the modules. It allows me to automate my environment and support my helpdesk effectively from behind the scenes.

Cons:

The software list and policy review. Software lists are cumbersome; the policy checks cannot be searched and appear to be incomplete.

Edan
Manager, Information Security and Infrastructure in US
Internet, 51-200 Employees

It's your directory service, in the clouds. Free yourself from AD.

Comments: Faults aside, I love JumpCloud.
I'd never go back to AD.
Multi-platform endpoint management is huge.
Apple MDM is the answer to our Mac admin needs.
VPP and software deployment is getting there. This is an Apple-created issue as much as anything and JumpCloud is working to provide a best-in-class solution. There not there yet, but getting there.
The pricing situation, breaking things out into feature-gated buckets is, annoying to say the least.
I get it, they have to show growth. They'll likely IPO in the near future.
They just raised a ton of cash and should see accelerated feature growth.
I can't think of a single thing I'd replace it with. If I had to go back to AD... well, let's say the kindest thing I can say about AD is not very kind at all.
Things like MDM policies are lacking in terms of their canned, out-of-the-box selection. That makes sense, to a point. Yes, you can create your own policies as you likely did w/ any other MDM, but solutions such as Meraki and JAMF, while... different, offer a ton of options for pre-defined policies that you just need to fill in.
Wifi for example. Re-writing my own policies when JumpCloud's RADIUS certs expire - forget it. This should be a template in their console. Fill in your SSID and JumpCloud auto-generates a policy, signs it, and pushes it. I shouldn't have to maintain tons of policies.

Pros:

It's cloudy, SaaSy, and requires no on-prem or self-managed hardware to maintain.

Cons:

Feature rollout is random. Like w/ any software, sometimes my prorities are hit, sometimes they feel forgotten. What's important to me and my company's use-case isn't always going to match up with what matters to JumpCloud. That being said, certain features are a long time in the offing.

Second Line Technical Support in UK
Insurance, 201-500 Employees

The next step in efficient IT. The Biggest change that no one will notice

Comments: Really easy to roll out and implement. Weather you want go totally cloud with someone like Microsoft or Google, or you want to do all in-house or you want Hybrid, JumpClouds got you covered.
Migrating AD accounts and the Domain joined machines they were on was done in one simple swoop, using ProfWizz and the Jumpcloud agent, the transition was seamless (and almost effortless) and the enrolment seemed almost too good to be true. But, once you get used to using JumplCloud, the alternative is less appealing. Like stepping out of a Bentley, and going into a city bus. They will both get you there, but only one does it with flair, elegance and style.

Pros:

Jumpcloud is the chameleon that becomes one with any setup you throw it into. Faster, easier and more accurate(because there is less human interaction to make those mistakes) as well as being as secure as you need it to be. With SAML 2.0, SSO and and MFA, you would be hard pressed to find an alternative so rich in features and option AND in the same pricerange as JumpCloud. Managing users and machines over the internet as if they were on the domain. Adding/removing users, deploying scripts and software. User Account Management has made the need for VPNs and other fafferies totally redundant. Jumplouds agent will do all the lifting. You just tell it what you need. Once the user or machine checks in, the instruction is automatically actioned. In one word: Brilliant!

Cons:

There was a times when a users account that locked out took more time and effort to resolve than would without JumpCloud. The alerting was also in need of review. Specifically, when a users account gets locked out, the process to get it unlocked could do with a tidy up.

Kyle
Cosmetics, 51-200 Employees

A great solution for a cloud-based business

Pros:

JumpCloud solved a number of issues for us as we needed a cloud-based identity management and also a system management tool for our distributed workforce. The product has constantly been improving over the 2 years we have used it. Set-up is fairly easy and it was pretty simple to roll-out.

Cons:

There are some limitations that I hope are improved as the product develops. MDM is currently limited in functionality, and the System Insights still require command-line input to gather detailed information. It doesn't not have commands that can run on a system automatically when joined which would be nice.

Randy
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 501-1,000 Employees

Simple, Reliable and Affordable

Comments: I have been very happy with the price and reliability of the services that I need from JumpCloud. I don't use them all, but what I do use, I use extensively.

Pros:

While JumpCloud may not have all the bells and whistles, what it does do, it does well. Super easy to use with a Google GSuite environment.

Cons:

I wish SSO was beefed up a little more. Some nicer integrations would be great, but it is possible that there are partnerships with larger DaaS providers that were made exclusive and they can not get access to.

Ernesto
IT Manager in US

User friendly and easy to deploy

Comments: Loved my experience with JumpCloud.

Pros:

How often new features come along, and the ease of use.

Cons:

There weren't many features available at first.

Braden
IT Help Desk in US
Design, 201-500 Employees

Full of Features

Pros:

I love how many features it has. I use it daily as an admin for single sign on and as a directory tool. I also make sure our users use it on our radius network.

Cons:

I wish 2 things were different: 1. Remote control or viewing. I would love to have the capability to remotely take control and/or monitor a user's laptop for remote support. 2. I wish the device working with a user worked more seamlessly. By that I mean I've noticed that when I pair a macbook that's registered in our Jumpcloud directory with a user and "Force a password change," the user is locked out of the macbook, (which is good), but then often has problems trying to sign in when they fill out the fields that appear, even when they use the correct old password and try to set a new one. I also wish that touch ID was enabled when the device is paired with a user and I can't seem to find a setting to change that on my own.

Alexandre
Director in France

Very nice service

Comments: I use Jumpcloud from many years now, and I love it. A new deployment is simple and take only some minutes to be available. Management is also easy and not time consumming.

Pros:

I work with many small companies,, and Jumpcloud is used to deploy central authentication service, without an AD or LDAP to deploy. A very good service to centralize assets, users and link then. I love the cross platform agent, mainly used with workstation on my side

Cons:

Nothing for my usage, I don't use all available services but my needs are supported

Carlos
CEO in US

All in one solutions for small to enterprise businesses

Pros:

MFA, SSO, RADIUS and System/User management

Cons:

Need more analytics and mass user updates

Andre
Consultant/Owner in US
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

Dumping the old and embracing the new!

Comments: Overall JumpCloud has been wonderful. I was able to eliminate the costs of hosting a datacenter for my client and reduced their overall IT costs by 30% or more. This allowed them to use that savings to leverage other cloud based services to enhance their entire business model.

Pros:

JumpCloud DaaS helped me move an organization from an expensive hosted AD environment to a cloud based one which provides much needed security and ease of use for my registered users. Its licensing scheme was cost effective, its inherent ability to migrate users onto the platform easily was great, and its administrative portal is very easy to use.

Cons:

I haven't found any cons yet. The software runs very well. Whenever I did run into issues with the deployment or setup the help team was prompt and knowledgeable.

Matthew
IT Systems Specialist in US
Religious Institutions, 51-200 Employees

Jumpcloud simplifies SSO

Comments: We are simplifying our onboarding process to have minimal passwords and provide one dashboard for both MDM and user management.

Pros:

We like the ease of use for deployment and managing users in one place. We like the ability to add apps easily to single sign on

Cons:

MDM for IOS/Android is Missing the mark. Jumpcloud is also missing several "one click" options to enable single sign on for some apps like Meraki etc.. I would expect a of an API solution for things like Meraki. The MDM options overall are lacking as in I am not able to push WIFI config via MDM which I consider a basic task.

Zachary
Asociate IT Admin Engineer in US
Public Safety, 11-50 Employees

Great for Apple Environments

Comments: Security benefits and access management. I now know if a user account has been locked. out remotely, and am able to provide support without being colocated.

Pros:

Quick and easy configuration setup with a very in depth support [SENSITIVE CONTENT] available to help you get on your feet and running quickly.

Cons:

Some critical components are not outlined early on as something that should be denoted for future use. (Certification renewal requires the same account, this was likely implementation error on our end, but caused major headaches)

Neil
VP of Information Systems in US
Retail, 201-500 Employees

JumpCloud is an IT Administrator's Dream if you want value and ease of use

Comments: The simplicity of use has allowed us to skill up IT Staff quickly to act as System Admins

Pros:

Simplicity, constantly enhancing UI, constantly enhancing features

Cons:

Wish the SSO feature was more robust when we procured JumpCloud (we were an early adopter), as we would have possibly opted for it over Okta

Jon
Senior Manager of Technical Operations in US

Long time customer with all Mac fleet

Comments: Overall it is fantastic and is getting better all the time.

Pros:

Gave us a single complete IDP solution for all of our systems and services.

Cons:

Deploying JumpCloud in a zero touch flow when using a 3rd party MDM is not well supported.

Director of IT in US

Great Contender for Cloud Based LDAP

Comments: Great solution for infrastructure free cloud based LDAP.

Pros:

Easy to roll out and implement, whether you are considering to go totally cloud or looking for a SSO for web based services.

Cons:

The small businesses that I work with have used the free user/device model successfully. Though once they grow past the limit, the cost is quite steep to fully buy into the cost structure. I wish there was a middle ground to transition small business into a more cost effective growth model.