• Overall

About Grasshopper

Get the perfect phone number for your small business and turn the world into our office with the Grasshopper virtual phone system.

Learn more about Grasshopper

Lisa H.
PC/Network technician and business owner
  • Reviewed on 12/4/2019

"Full-featured phone system at a reasonable price"

Comments: My customers are still telling me how impressed they are with the new system. We've had it for just over a year now, and some of the aches and pains of the old system have faded in my mind. Even so, I can tell you it's leaps and bounds above the last system we had. It takes around 10% of the time I used to spend setting up old extensions, and causes almost none of the aggravation and worry I had with the old system.

Pros: It was very easy to set up, even though my company's phone system is pretty complicated. They have great tools that are easy to implement. For example, I change the forwarding for at least one of my extensions several times a day. This process is easy and everything works flawlessly, as does the simultaneous ringing of my cell phone when someone calls my extension. I had some trouble with one number I ported from another provider, and the help desk fixed it within a couple of hours. A few months later, I had problems porting a fax number from an online fax provider, and they fixed it immediately. (The fax feature provided by Grasshopper is excellent, too!) Their prices are very reasonable, and they have taken a great deal of worry off my plate. I am very glad I found this software!

Cons: I can't say I have had any problems with the software that wasn't taken care of immediately by the excellent tech support. I had a little trouble setting up the extensions and recordings, but I had never had anything but an old-fashioned phone system before. Considering my lack of experience, the virtual system was not hard to figure out, and it was well worth it!

• Reviewed on 12/4/2019
Joshua K.
Utilities, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/12/2019

"Costly, But Lots of Features"

Comments: Overall, I was highly pleased with the quick onboarding process. It took less than 30 minutes to have the app fully set up and my number activated. My business chose to go with Grasshopper primarily because it's a trusted and well-known name in VOIP. Grasshopper has enabled us to have a separate phone number for our business and adds a ton of convenience in that we are able to use it with their app on our smartphones.

Pros: I like that, compared to its competitors, Grasshopper offers a wider variety of useful features. Some of my favorite features are visual voicemail, conference calling, Wi-Fi calling, virtual fax, and business texting. All of those features and more are included in all of their plans at no additional cost.

Cons: There are only two things that I dislike about Grasshopper. The plan pricing is the first on my list. They offer three different plans; I have the cheapest one which costs $29 per month which includes the phone number plus three lines. Second, I dislike that in order to use the Wi-Fi calling feature, you must first disable the Wi-Fi calling feature if you already use it with your cellular plan.

• Reviewed on 14/12/2019
Human Resources Consultant
Human Resources, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 9/6/2020

"Very Basic; Room for Improvement"

Pros: Ultimately this system is very straightforward and easy to use. For a small business, it provides the basic functions I need. I needed a business line so I could keep my personal phone free of business and this served that purpose.

Cons: One of my biggest frustrations is that it does not have a separate contacts function. The phone app requires syncing with my personal phone contacts which is exactly what I did NOT want. I wanted my business contacts completed separated from personal friends and family. Even the desktop app does not allow for that.

• Reviewed on 9/6/2020
April S.
Market Research, 13-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 11/5/2019

"Would not recommend this"

Comments: We used this to call our customers and text our customers. If they could get the glitches and kinks worked out, it would be a much better program. It was good to used for days when you have multiple calls per hour as it is hands free and you can just call from your computer. However, it is not one hundred percent reliable. The experience I had makes me not want to use it again, unless they were to fix everything so it functions like it should.

Pros: What I liked most about this software is that it provides a phone number and service that you can access using your laptop and headphones. It is easy to make calls from your computer, and you can send texts and check voice messages as well, and typed transcripts of those voice messages. It provides a professional looking phone system for your business and has a voicemail that is also seems professional and can be set up to transfer to employee's Grasshopper phone numbers or to roll over to their cell phones.

Cons: The problem with this software is that it is full of glitches. There were several times when Grasshopper sent the voice messages to the wrong phone numbers, the extensions got changed or were wrong, or the app just stopped working all together. It seemed like every week or two, we had to waste time calling in to customer service to get them to fix the problems. Also, you could not send mass texts or multiple texts to more than one person without them seeing each other's phone numbers and all responses going to all people in the group text. So if we had a group session where we wanted to confirm, invite, or remind twenty people, we had to send each text individually through Grasshopper. This involved sending a text, copying it, going back a screen, typing in the next number, pasting the text, and then sending it to the next person. It was a time waster.

• Reviewed on 11/5/2019
Jose D.
Civil Engineering, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 23/7/2020

"Decent product for the price"

Comments: We have a had a decent experience with it, especially for the price and simplicity.

Pros: Easy to add extensions and voicemails. The app is very easy to use. As the administrator, I am able to see every call and voicemail for the entire company. There is no need for any additional phones or hardware. You just need your cellphone and/or a computer that has mic/headphones.

Cons: About 80% reliable. Sometimes calls are dropped or the app says that I have a voicemail or missed call, but my phone or my employee's phones never rang. Even though there is a wi-fi calling feature it opens the door to all sorts of glitches, so we make sure to never enable that option. The desktop app is decent, but it does not keep you logged in. You have to log in on a regular basis, which can get frustrating.

• Reviewed on 23/7/2020
Brent R.
  • Reviewed on 18/7/2019

"The most features for the price"

Comments: Very positive overall.

Pros: Grasshopper offers business telephone features that you will pay a lot more for with any other provider. You get a phone number, voicemail, unlimited calling, IVR, multiple extensions, and custom call management.

Cons: Lacks advanced call features you might find with other VOIP providers, and because it's a virtual phone service, you still have to use your mobile phone to answer calls. Also, the Android app is a bit buggy and doesn't always notify me when I've missed a call, so I have to open the app to check it.

• Reviewed on 18/7/2019
Marlon N.
Reservations Manager
Hospitality, 13-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 19/11/2019

"The Best Virtual Phone System There Is!"

Comments: My team and myself are very pleased from day one with this system! Its amazing features make our job so much easier; receiving telephone calls from our international clients right from our computer at no cost to them but yet very affordable for us! Calls are also forward to my cellphone when I'm not in office and this is very important for me. This system has for sure help our business grow. We are very satisfied with Grasshopper and look forward keep on taking advantage of this reliable and affordable Virtual Phone System!

Pros: That our clients from the USA and Canada are able to get in touch with us free of cost to them. This is great because majority of our clientele is from the US and Grasshopper is very affordable for us. All calls are forwarded to our land line in Belize or to my cellphone when I'm not in office; love this feature! With the Grasshopper App for windows, calls can be answered from your computer; all you need is a headset. This system just amazes me with it's features that keep making my job so much easier! Our clients also fax us using this same toll free number and it is delivered right to my inbox; this is amazing. This system has really helped increasing our sales.

Cons: My team and myself are very pleased with Grasshopper system, reason why we are still using it for many years. No complaints at all.

• Reviewed on 19/11/2019
Aj S.
Mgr
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 20/5/2020

"VIOP Business Phone Review"

Comments: Overall our experience has been good. Customer service is quick and helpful.

Pros: This not our first time using VOIP for our business line but Grasshopper overs a fair, competitive rate and one of the best Apps to complement the features of the software. It is very stable and unlike some other software, it has all the working features of the desktop version.

Cons: Our major problem has been that twice we have had our phone number mistaken for another company. Two times, two different companies about a year apart.

• Reviewed on 20/5/2020
Rodrigo R.
Head of IT
Biotechnology, 13-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 8/4/2020

"Great solution for virtual phone systems"

Comments: We've been successfully using Grasshopper from the last 2 years and it works as expected.

Pros: It works as expected and as promised. With Grasshopper your company can setup the main phone number of your company as professional level phone system, with recorded messages, phone directory, voicemail, message transcription and call forwarding to personal phones.

Cons: I really miss more features on the phone directly, like a feature to name the extensions by user name. With the current features it's needed to type letters of the name of the person you're searching in the directory.

• Reviewed on 8/4/2020
Shawn B.
Small Business Owner
Retail, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 17/11/2019

"Great value for the money!"

Comments: I have been using Grasshopper for a while now. I got the service for my business for the price and convenience. I have the mobile app and make and receive all calls on my cell phone. I use it to receive faxes from wholesalers and customers. It has worked great for me the entire time I have been using it.

Pros: I loved that everything was virtual. I can make and receive calls right from my cell phone. I like that they offer toll free vanity numbers. I can receive faxes on the same number which is great and there are 3 extensions. I also like the price.

Cons: I really don’t have many dislikes. The main thing I don’t like is that you can’t send faxes. You also cannot transfer calls to a different extension on outbound calls.

• Reviewed on 17/11/2019
Alexandra R.
Chief Executive Officer
Design, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 25/11/2015

"Grasshopper is an Amazing Tool for Entrepreneurs"

Comments: We've been using Grasshopper since 2013 and it's been a wonderful tool. You know your software is great when you don't actually spend any time thinking about it and it just works. Support is amazing, but I hardly ever have to use it because we never have any problems. We just opened up our third Grasshopper account for our consulting firm, and other manufacturing company. Our favorite things about Grasshopper is that there are only the flat costs, instead of per user costs. Our business works with many independent professionals, ( ie our dedicated IT person is also a small business owner) and we needed to be able to give people their own extensions so our customers could reach out to them directly, but still under the umbrella and safety of our business. Grasshopper makes it really easy to do that, keeping us professional and our customers satisfied. I would hate to have to pay for 13 extensions, when I really only need 7 users, but with other systems, for every email you add on, you have to pay for that user. You also only pay for what you use or your plan, so you don't have to break the bank. We don't take an excess amount of calls to our office, mostly email, so you only have to spend a little, you really get a lot. You can pay by the minute (which we choose to do based on our fluctuating call patterns) or you can buy a bulk minute plan, which is incredibly competitive in price. The call quality is absolutely amazing, because Grasshopper runs over traditional phone lines and not VOIP. This allows you as a business owner to run a cloud based system, but get all the benefits of landline quality. If you're a business of 1 and want to sound more professional, Grasshopper is the best way to do it. You can set up multiple extensions (press 1 for sales, 2 for support) even if they all forward to the same place. It's also perfect if you're like our business, where you require not a lot of talk time, but several departments and extensions to be able to suit your customer needs because of contractors on your team. I definitely recommend this to anyone who has large contractor teams that work on several projects together regularly and need to delegate some responsibility. Whether you're a solopreneur, a small business, or even a large business, Grasshopper allows you to take your business anywhere, any time, without problems. It's easy, affordable, and get's the job done well.

Pros: Grasshopper gets it done right. It's incredibly affordable for letting your business have a professional line without breaking the bank and there's never a call quality issue. You can also choose a vanity number which is a huge bonus (100% of my recommendations to others for Grasshopper get a vanity number.) Biggest perks include: *No per user cost - only pay for what you use, or buy a larger plan if you talk a lot
*Create a ton of extensions
*Mobile App is really helpful - you can dial out using your vanity number
*Voicemails delivered to your inbox or listed to them over the mobile app
*Call screening (personal favorite, so I can truly decide if I want to take that call or not!)
*Time Zone setup for users that are maybe on a different coast then you (we use this currently)

Cons: Lack of integration with CRM. Other CRM tools often an auto dialer that allows you to associate calls with leads and so forth, and I think this would add a lot of value if it were added. Also, no local vanity numbers. Wish regulatory fees were a bit lower but can't do too much about that. Lastly, not really a con, but when you sign up, you need to call and ask them to upgrade you to the advanced user interface. There is no extra cost, but this is the you really need to make your life easier.

by Grasshopper on 30/11/2015

Hi there,

Thanks so much for leaving such a thorough review! We appreciate your honest feedback, and love having you as a customer. :)

- Mary

• Reviewed on 25/11/2015
Barry H.
Hospital & Health Care, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 13/12/2018

"Great for small business"

Comments: Grasshopper truly helps small business owners with an easy to start service, great options and an overall great quality product. Some features including text based voicemail, encrypted faxes, text messaging, multiple phone services, and more. I would highly recommend this product as a personal user and have enjoyed using this product for over a year.

Pros: Grasshopper easily allows you to set up an 800 number for small business usage. It synchronizes with any phone very easily and usually takes about 5-10 minutes to begin working. Customers can call, text or fax information to the same number as opposed to having separate extensions which makes it very convenient not only to customers but the client as well. When a person calls you can choose to answer, send to voicemail, and/or check to see who is calling. If you are looking for separate extensions or have multiple employees across the state or nation then Grasshopper can provide service for multiple extensions and you can set up employees with Grasshopper as opposed to providing a business phone.

Cons: The downside about Grasshopper that I have found is that when a client calls it will automatically pop up as the 800 number you selected. This makes it easy in terms of identifying if someone is calling the business but at the cost of not identifying the customer unless you use the "to see who's calling" option before answering. This is a small issue however and as a personal business owner myself, I deal with multiple clients and customers across the state with frequent new customers whose numbers I wouldn't recognize.

• Reviewed on 13/12/2018
Founder/CEO
Music, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 29/11/2018

"Grasshopper is perfect for home, on the go and remote work businesses"

Comments: As mentioned above, Grasshopper allows me to have the functionality of a full-fledged office phone system using only my cell phone. It was incredibly easy to get started, to set up and to add users later on. Every voicemail is available to listen to in the app itself, or, more conveniently, is emailed directly to me. One great feature Grasshopper offers is receiving faxes. You can use your same phone number with Grasshopper to receive faxes. Any fax that is sent to your number gets emailed to you. Even though faxing is not as common these days, people still use it. Not needing to have a separate fax number is great!

Pros: I love the fact that I can have a business phone number, with extensions, departments, transferring, voice mail and fax and it all goes straight to my cell phone (or my employees' phones who work remotely). It means that no matter where I am, I can take a call as if I were right in my office and the caller needn't know the difference.

Cons: I know this is going to sound silly, but since it's so easy to get set up and then it just works, the thing that I like least is when I do need to log back into my account to do something, it's usually been so long since I've visited the site that I need to reorient myself with the website and platform. It doesn't take long to figure my way around but rarely having to log in all the time definitely means that I need a little more time when I do log in.

• Reviewed on 29/11/2018
Executive Administrator
  • Reviewed on 27/4/2018

"Best small operations phone solution!"

Comments: A cost-effective phone system solution for our rag-tag team of entrepreneurs.

Pros: Grasshopper is so simple to set up and use. I love the phone and desktop (new & amazing) apps. It's so easy to support multiple products/programs through this system and always know how to answer the call, great features, and awesome customer service staff. We've been using this for almost three years now and we still love it. Not having to be tethered to a desk is great, and having a professional-seeming phone system to increase your credibility at the same time is even better!

Cons: International calling is a bit of a headache and cost, but then again, where isn't it? The browser interface leaves much to be desired, especially if your setup requires the advanced features on the old interface only. The playback of uploaded recordings in the browser version, and recording via the browser options rarely, if ever, work. Uploading only works with MP3, and the quality is always degraded and somewhat difficult to understand.

• Reviewed on 27/4/2018
Rian I.
President / Founder
Environmental Services
  • Reviewed on 18/5/2018

"Best Virtual Phone!"

Pros: I have tried other virtual phone systems, and I am happy I made the switch to Grasshopper. First off, their app, flawless! Never once has the app crashed on me. I have 3 toll-free phone numbers, using the cell app, I can simply change what number I want to call from without revealing my personal number. I was able to upload my own custom recorded auto attendant message and upload VM greetings for each extension. Bringing over my toll free numbers was a breeze, they easily stepped me thru the process. I can transfer calls and put calls on hold while on the phone, a game changer! My favorite feature, is Call Blasting. Where when a caller chooses a specific number, grasshopper will ring multiple phones at once until the call is answered! I am very happy with Grasshopper and I highly recommend it to anyone wanting a top notch professional phone system!

Cons: On the grasshopper call log, sometimes it errors and logs the wrong phone number that the call came in on. The incoming Caller ID is correct, however the GH Log will show they called Line 2, when I know it was line 1.. Not a big deal, I'm sure they will fix that soon ;-)

by LogMeIn on 8/6/2018

We love the title of your review Rian! Thanks for the thoughtful review. Happy to hear Grasshopper has been such an easy switch for you.

• Reviewed on 18/5/2018
Jaron H.
Hospitality, 13-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 21/8/2018

"SO much better than Google Voice."

Pros: Grasshopper has been exactly what I needed. I wanted a company phone number, but I didn't want to carry around a 2nd phone or install a landline like it's 1997. I have virtual administrators who handle my customer service, and I will often need to switch the prioritization of who should receive calls first in the queue. Grasshopper solves all that with some pretty great software. The queue function, voicemail, and SMS alone are great. There are other features too that I haven't even gotten around to setting up yet.

Cons: Occasionally it has its bugs. The app isn't perfect, it's like maybe a 7/10 in terms of speed and reliability. I often get double notifications for one thing. Sometimes calls don't come through but it can't be replicated, and we recently had some login issues. Overall it's still quite good and I don't intend on switching, but it still has some things to work out before I would preach it to my friends.

by LogMeIn on 27/8/2018

Thanks for your review Jaron! We're always working on improving our app. You should start to notice some improvements soon, if you haven't already!

• Reviewed on 21/8/2018
Web Content Manager
Furniture, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/2/2018

"Straightforward, simple, and cost-effective way to juggle and route multiple phone numbers for SMBs."

Comments: We use it to run a "website question" 1-800 phone number that routes to different stores and remote individuals at different times with multiple options for service.

Pros: It's extremely easy to use and very affordable. You can setup custom phone numbers and create routing between all kinds of phones. It gives the appearance of having a more sophisticated setup than you really do. You can setup holding music, routing rules, voicemail, multiple users, and more between office phone systems, personal cell phones, and everything in-between. You can set hours for each number and routing rules such as order, how many times to ring, and what numbers ring to which numbers.

Cons: The only thing I wish it could do that it doesn't is record calls, and that is a big downside to me. A nice to have feature might be being able to assign calls to specific users. Otherwise, it handles everything I need very well.

• Reviewed on 17/2/2018
Kathy M.
  • Reviewed on 16/11/2017

"It gives me new hope that Customer Service can be excellent!"

Pros: I can sign in easily, I can get phone messages by text or voicemail. I can easily set up extensions for multiple people with ease. I can add new phone numbers and search for the numbers I want. There is so much I can easily do with this product, and when I have a question, the customer service goes beyond my wildest dreams for being prompt, and if they can't answer a question, I get a higher level of support immediately. They even offered to refund money on a service I wasn't getting (and thought I was). No haggling. Just reasonable people working overtime to do excellent work.

Cons: It would be great to have a lower cost for international return calls. We're an international company and there are additional charges for my Irish therapist returning calls via Grasshopper.

• Reviewed on 16/11/2017
Matt A.
Director/Producer
Motion Pictures & Film, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 6/12/2018

"Good for price but still needs more features"

Comments: Overall experience with Grasshopper is good. I've used their service for over 2 years now and I do still consider other options, but always stick with Grasshopper due to their ease of use and competitive price.

Pros: It's competitively priced and easy to use.
As for functionality, it connects with whatever other phone line you have through forwarding and it also sends an email with a voice message recording.
It's straight forward and works well.

Cons: The biggest issue is that when a call comes in on the toll-free number, the phone you've got it linked to will show the call as your toll free number rather than whoever is calling.
It would be great to simply have a caller ID.
Also, it needs texting service. Perhaps a toll free number can't work with texting but in case it can, than Grasshopper needs to get on board with it.

• Reviewed on 6/12/2018
Director Of Technical Services
  • Reviewed on 5/2/2019

"Why Invest in PBX Hardware?"

Comments: We've used Grasshopper for years and dollar for dollar it has been a great investment.

Pros: Our company made the move away from a PBX VOIP system years ago opting instead for employee cell phones and Grasshopper. It is much more flexible and economical. The administration interface is easy to work with. Each user can have their own extension and there is a directory that works by the spelling of the user's last name. You can also set up a roll sequence for incoming calls.

Cons: It is really not the product's fault but you have to teach your users about the way voicemail is handled when using a virtual PBX. Messages coming in via the PBX number and extension are routed through Grasshopper while messages coming from a direct call a handled by the cell carrier.

• Reviewed on 5/2/2019
Diana M.
co-owner
Entertainment, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 26/4/2019

"Grasshopper allows our small business to have a professional phone presence and never miss a call."

Comments: It's been easy to use and has saved us a lot of money by not having someone to staff a phone when there isn't a need to have a person on site. The cost is very reasonable and it's completely transparent to customers.

Pros: Grasshopper allows us to manage calls with a lot of flexibility. Whether we're at our business or out and about, the customer never knows. We can assign different people to handle different types of calls, we can accept text inquiries, and we can be available for calls whatever hours we want, up to 24/7.

Cons: It can take a little longer that I'd like for customers to get through, since they have to wait for Grasshopper to answer, listen to the greeting, put in an extension, and then wait for the call to forward. This is a minimal issue though in comparison to the alternative.

• Reviewed on 26/4/2019
Alex K.
Media Production, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/2/2020

"Grasshoper helps entrepreneurs scale their office environment"

Comments: My overall experience has been great with Grasshopper. Their customer service is awesome and super helpful.

Pros: I love how convenient and professional the platform/service is. They allow you to forward calls, make calls from and have department extensions. The customizable hold music and voicemail is awesome. It really helps startups put the best voice forward facing to their prospects and patrons.

Cons: I wish you could change what comes up on the caller ID when you call from your grasshopper number so that it can be cohesive with your brand.

• Reviewed on 14/2/2020
Katie S.
Mental Health Care, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 15/5/2018

"Grasshopper is used in our agency for 24 hour on-call purposes as well as a hub for incoming calls"

Comments: As the office manager, the software was able to take the place of giving staff cell phones to use for On-cal purposes and eliminated the need to give out staff phone numbers to people that may abuse the availability of our staff members.

Pros: I like that voicemails are emailed to users and that they can be listened to from the email. I also like the ease in changing phone numbers that are associated with Extensions as our On-call worker rotates every few weeks.

Cons: Since we use the software for 24 hour emergency on-call situations, it it imperative that the system doesn't have outages. We have had a few experiences where the calls were not getting to the extension phone number and simply going to voicemail or showing up as missed calls, when the phone never actually rang.

• Reviewed on 15/5/2018
Ron B.
Founder, Co-Owner
Recreational Facilities & Services, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 23/12/2019

"Easy to use, convenient, and best customer service I've ever experienced"

Comments: Our main business line and my personal business line are both through Grasshopper, and all of our calls are handled easily and efficiently. Very satisfied with our VOIP, and have no desire to change anytime soon.

Pros: SIMPLE. It's an easy-to-use VOIP that has plenty of features that are helpful and very user-friendly. Voicemail transcripts and auto-text responses make it a breeze to deal with missed calls, and the mobile app is well-designed and functional. My entire staff uses it seamlessly. Their customer service is TOP NOTCH. Every time I call in, they are incredibly professional, knowledgeable and helpful. Response time is excellent. Quite possibly some of the best customer service I've experienced with a software company.

Cons: Only one minor gripe: the current feature for custom call scheduling is a bit dysfunctional, and requires manually setting hours. Would not be so bad, except when I have to do it for 5 employees, it can take a bit of time. A "save call schedule" feature would be extremely useful here, to then just apply to the others.

• Reviewed on 23/12/2019
Director Of Special Projects
Events Services, 13-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 25/6/2018

"Easy way to set up a professional business line"

Pros: It was easy to set up a business phone line with multiple extensions, and best yet it allows you to have an option to send to another phone number, answer directly, or even send directly to a voicemail - all very helpful.

Cons: They give options for voice over, but typically (As we did) people record there own - but the process of recording is somewhat difficult - you have to remember a code, and it is kind of like recording your message for your own personal phone. I wish that they had more options to record, and made the process more simple.

by LogMeIn on 29/6/2018

Glad to hear Grasshopper made it easy to get setup with a professional business line! We appreciate the feedback on the greeting process. The easiest way is to do this from your computer, no pin needed.

• Reviewed on 25/6/2018