15 years helping Irish businesses

Katana Cloud Inventory Reviews

About Katana Cloud Inventory

Katana's cloud platform offers live inventory, production, accounting, and reporting for businesses to make the right decisions. ​

Learn more about Katana Cloud Inventory

Pros:

Connects to Shopify and updates automatically. Amazing customer support.

Cons:

If somebody messed up something, there is no way to go back.

Katana Cloud Inventory ratings

4.6
4.7
4.3
4.5

8.8/10

Katana Cloud Inventory has an overall rating of 4.7 out 5 stars based on 161 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Katana Cloud Inventory before?

Jared
Jared
VP Operations in US
Food Production, 2–10 Employees

The MRP system I wish I'd always had

Comments: Katana's awesome, full stop. I've been working with manufacturing businesses for years, and for years I've lamented Xero's relatively weak inventory management system. Two years ago I tried literally every MRP app I could find to plugin to Xero; they were all pretty bad. Along comes Katana, which maybe was around earlier but was "new to me" just this year, and ... wow. Mostly, it Just Works. The Xero integration works seamlessly for bills and sales orders, which speeds AP/AR quite a bit. 90% of the tool's value is outside of Xero though, and I now have a permanently-pinned Katana tab in my browser for tracking everything in the production flow from raw materials purchasing, to production, to sale, to reconciliation of remaining materials and product stock. It's great. Is it perfect? Not quite. They need to do some performance work, as load times are often a little sluggish. Also, it would be nice to see finer-grained automation, and better contact syncing. But overall, I'm delighted.

Pros:

- It's really easy to use - Makes it easy to track materials on hand, reorder, etc - Calculates margin including labor cost - Xero integration works perfectly - Zapier integration makes it really flexible from an automation standpoint - Really lots of other stuff ... it's truly an excellent product and an outlier in a pretty clunky space.

Cons:

It can be a little slow, and the contact syncing could be more robust.

Rebecca
Food & Beverages, 2–10 Employees

Intuitive, Fast To Implement, and Beautifully Designed

Pros:

The user interface is clean and very intuitive, requiring essentially no time to learn. Some of the other MRP solutions we tried were difficult to navigate and use, and training on them would have been labor intensive and costly. Katana is beautifully designed, and the batch-tracking and inventory management is easy to adapt to our business (MRPeasy/ERPAG were very clearly not designed with food manufacturing in mind, so making them even remotely functional for that purpose felt like a bit of a fools errand, whereas Katana just works).

Cons:

While it is very user-friendly and it has the ability to track batches/lots (which is critical for us), we've had to develop workarounds to make it function the way we need it to -- it doesn't quite handle this the way I would envision it should. There are also some minor time wasters. If there's one simple feature I wish they would change, it's being able to type in the expiration dates rather than having to scroll through the calendar manually to select the correct date. This becomes so onerous when receiving multiple items on a PO and having to manually click through/scroll through the calendar to select the correct date as opposed to simply having a field that allows you to type in the date and move on.

CEO in UK
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 11–50 Employees

Scrappy startup quality at enterprise rates

2.0 2 weeks ago New

Comments: Now at the money grabbing stage before they implode, would be my guess. Clunky at the best of times. We put up with quirks, bugs that were never going to get fixed and general major omissions (like lack of back up and undo) This company is being run like it's an open source "best effort" outfit, but charging premium monthly rates for a software that feels barely out of beta. Given how central MRP/ERP/etc is to our business, we will be looking for a different provider asap, as none of this inspires trust in what should be a long term partner

Pros:

The user interface is pretty and nice to use, mostly The concepts of scheduling and general "idea" behind the katana system are good

Cons:

The endless bugs and now pricing issues. No backup, no undo, and again, lots of bugs. We regularly have to contact support with issues in their system. Most of the time the response is "oh we'll put it on our voting system, if it gets votes we'll fix it", which really is not what I expect from a system that costs several hundred dollars a month, before addons and users. To be perfectly honest, we were making do - the pros of not having to build this kind of system ourselves outweighed the cons. That has now changed. What triggered this review is that they doubled the price of our plan, turned off a number of features we were using to run our business operations, and charged us for "add-ons" all without warning. We did get sent an email, warning us of an upcoming change in billing (note this email was sent 28 days before the change...). That email said someone would reach out to us to discuss transitioning. That did not happen, and instead they just turned things off and billed our card for add-ons we never agreed to. Forced onboarding (billable of course) with an "expert" is a bit of a joke

6 days ago

We want to clarify that our decision to adjust pricing and service features was not made lightly. This move aims to ensure the sustainability of our service and the continuous development of features that meet our customers' needs. Our pricing model is designed to reflect the value we’ve built and continue to build, as well as the comprehensive support we provide. Regarding the issues you've encountered with bugs and the lack of certain functionalities such as backup and undo options, please know that we are constantly working to enhance our platform, it improves week by week — sometimes visibly, and sometimes in the back-end. Please know that we are here to support you through this transition and would welcome any further dialogue to address your concerns directly at [email protected]. Our goal has always been and will continue to be, to serve as a reliable and innovative partner to businesses like yours. Kurt @ Katana

Matt
Product Engineer in US
Furniture, 11–50 Employees

Small Manufacturing MRP

Pros:

Great inventory management software for the price.

Cons:

Wish it worked better with other programs. We use Extensive for almost all other plugins. Also, wish it had a way to track cutting programs.

Manufacturing Manager in US
Renewables & Environment, 2–10 Employees

Most affordable MRP system for small manufacturers

Comments: Katana has been extremely responsive with receiving feedback on the product and working in product improvements based on that feedback. There have already been multiple issues I had with the product early on that they have reacted to feedback on and implemented changes. Great customer service.

Pros:

I love the value. We were stuck using excel to manage our inventory for a long time because there were no affordable options until Katana came along. I am able to maintain accurate stock levels much more easily now.

Cons:

There are a few minor inconveniences that are small time wasters. One example is not being able to shift/ctrl click multiple items and drag them around as a group when reorganizing priority rank of manufacturing orders. Since we have multilevel subassemblies I spend more time dragging around manufacturing orders to organize the order I want them completed in and I could save some time if I could drag items around as a group.

4 years ago

Chris, thank you for sharing your experience with Katana!

Brandon
Consumer Electronics, 2–10 Employees

Perfect for where we're at right now

Comments: We chose Katana after trying out a couple different MRP's which were either overly complex, over-priced, or didn't fit our needs. We've stuck with Katana based on it's ease-of-use, intuitive design, and delivery of everything we need it to do.

Pros:

It's great to be able to log in on any computer without having to install software, and it's done an amazing job of keeping our inventory tidy and up-to-date. The Purchase Order generator has also made us look very professional to our suppliers. The integration with Shopify is also a huge plus to us as it prevents us from having to manually transfer Shopify orders and automatically removes all parts from the BOM from our inventory. Highly recommended!

Cons:

There aren't many, if any things we've come up against yet that Katana didn't support.

4 years ago

Thank you for the feedback!

Shanon
Production Manager in US
Food Production, 2–10 Employees

Katana is great!

Pros:

The set up and use of Katana is super easy and user friendly! The online resources they provide are incredibly helpful. I found the Katana Academy videos the most helpful.

Cons:

Katana does not provide a way to "waste" products, however I know that Katana is currently working on implementing a program to do this. The only true complaint is that it doesn't support fractions. Our products are divided into 12 and when inputting the "recipes and boms" 1 is not divisible by 12 evenly. This makes us have to stock adjust to get proper inventory counts.

6 months ago

Hi Shanon, thanks kindly for your review — the team behind the Academy are very happy to hear you're enjoying these the most! We're always improving Katana and indeed fractions is one of the items on our radar for improving how our product recipes and BOMs work.

Andrew
CEO in UK
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 2–10 Employees

Working with Katana

Comments: Ive tried lots of other systems - ugly ones, expensive ones, and completely confusing ones. Katana wins hands down. And without charging you lots of extra fees to do things like multiple locations.

Pros:

Its very very easy to use. Having used other systems, like inFlow, it has refreshing clean visually cued interface. Its very satisfying to use.

Cons:

Very little - I would ask why they dont allow non-stock items to be a thing (we cant be the only ones!) - we have to make up that we have 1000s of imaginary non-stock items to keep the system happy. But its a tiny weeny gripe and has very little bearing on anything.

Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, Self Employed

Great Inventory Software

Comments: Knowing the real numbers of what I have in stock, what I need to order, how much it will cost me, and how much profit I will accrue is essential for making it to next year. In Katana, these figures are easy to find and keep up with. If I have a question, support is quick to respond and helpful. They are a great company to deal with!

Pros:

The simple progression from Items to Buy, Make, and Stock to Sell makes it easy for me to maintain best practices in tracking my inventory. The flexibility in making stock adjustments made transitioning easy from confusions in my previous software into an ongoing accounting of what I have. Likewise, integrating with Shopify and Quicken was seamless.

Cons:

A more complete inclusion of customer information from Shopify would be useful.

4 years ago

Thank you for the support!

Lisa
CFO in US
Food & Beverages, 2–10 Employees

New User

Comments: Customer service has been outstanding to help me learn features and problem solve. Very friendly and helpful!

Pros:

The software is very easy to use and I like the automatic saving feature but also able to edit transactions as well.

Cons:

I would like to be able to process payments through eCommerce in Katana, those need to be done manually.

Danny
Operations Manager in Australia
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 11–50 Employees

Great alternative MRP to its expensive competitors

Comments: Katana has completely solved our supply line issues and it is an amazing tool that enables you to visualize production issues and bottlenecks.

Pros:

I love graphical representation and its ease of use. It took less than a week to get my company up and running. Katana has been a fantastic MRP that has been able to grow with us. They have added some important updates that have made its daily operation even easier. All things considered Katana was a great choice for my company!

Cons:

Sometimes it slows in operation which is mildly annoying. This could probably be fixed with some more servers in our geographic region.

4 years ago

Thank you for the feedback and support!

Jason
Sales Director/ Owner in US
Environmental Services, 2–10 Employees

Love the functionality!

Pros:

This software is very user friendly compared to some other, more detailed programs.

Cons:

I had some issue with the conversions during the product builds, so I am not sure if you could have multiple conversions for a product.

Lauren
Founder/Owner in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2–10 Employees

Love it!

Comments: We LOVE this app! We had to work out some kinks the in the beginning based on our needs but Katana's representatives were very helpful and we got it all figured out.

Pros:

It's helped us streamline inventory management, manufacturing orders and inventory orders. Highly recommend!

Cons:

It was a significantly more money than what we were paying with our old system but the extra money has been so worth it for us.

Denis
Designer in Germany
Printing, Self Employed

Best MRP/inventory manager for small business

Comments: Overall, I'm very happy with Katana. Even though I run a small business and the price is relatively high for me, it's still well worth it. Adding new orders is quick and simple, but more importantly, I can instantly see if I have all the required resources at hand. Even if I have a few dozen pending orders, their coloured chart makes it so easy to quickly see if there are any issues.

Pros:

Very easy to use without cluttered interface. This was my biggest selling point when comparing Katana to other similar products. Everything is so well organised and easy to glance over, while still offering nearly everything that I need for myself. I also like that any changes in the inventory are immediately reflected in open orders. This is true for everything that I've used so far; as soon as I make a change in one area, it instantly reflects in all others as well.

Cons:

I'm missing one feature, but it's more due to the specific nature of my business. It would be great if I could organize my inventory not just by total combined weight, but broken down into individual units as well. For example, if my order requires 500g of plastic in one piece, but I have two separate pieces of 250g each, Katana will show that I have enough resources, even though I can't fill my order since I need one unbroken piece. I've already got in touch with their support about this and they've said my request was put on their wish list, so I'm fairly confident it will eventually get implemented.

3 years ago

Thank you for choosing Katana!

Kyle
MRP/owner in US
Consumer Goods, 2–10 Employees

Great MRP tool, some flaws but very responsive and receptive customer service and dev team

Comments: Great MRP for small manufacturers. I find that Katana saves a lot of time and makes it easy to track inventory. Saves me many "counting" trips to different locations.

Pros:

Super easy to use, pricing is more clear and streamlined than when we started. Support is great; not always the quickest but 1-2 days usually gets us a thorough and well covered answer to our questions. You can send them suggestions and they will tally in to their dev schedule. Saves a lot of time and nice to be able to access it from any computer.

Cons:

There currently (2020) is no option to add fixed costs to POs. This makes tracking cost of inventory a little tougher. I also cannot edit PO templates. Having these features would make cost tracking and insurance claims easier. There is also no support for contractor per unit manufacturing but a simple way to get around this would be to set contractor tasks and payment by the hour and make each unit take 1 hour to finish. This does though make it difficult to track time if you need to track how long production will take. Fortunately we have a good idea of how long something will take without the help of Katana.

3 years ago

Thank you for your feedback and glad to see you are getting value from Katana. We have also noted down your suggestions.

Callee
Wholesale, 2–10 Employees

Great for small but growing handmade biz!

Pros:

Just completed the free 14 day trial of Katana and have now begun a paid subscription. It took a few days and a bit of frustration to manually add all our products, ingredients, recipes, and current pending wholesale orders from outside of shopify, but having the shopify integration helped a lot. We use three different wholesale platforms (Faire, tundra & Abound), none of which offer automated third party integrations, so we knew we’d have to manually input orders and Katana serves that purpose as our centralized dashboard to see what needs to go out, when, from which platform, if we have it in stock, when we can make it, etc. In two weeks, we’ve already seen an increase in production efficiency and decrease in wholesale turnaround times now that EVERYTHING is being tracked in one place. Highly recommend Katana if you’re a maker, it’s never too early to implement automated systems in your biz!

Cons:

Glitches with accurate purchase prices showing up in overall product list. Described it to customer service and they denied it being a problem. That’s the only problem I’ve encountered so far. Tbh on customer support quality.

4 years ago

Hi! Thank you for your feedback and we'll make sure to work out any glitches that have occurred along the way. Happy making!

Jason
President in US
Medical Devices, 2–10 Employees

A lot of bang for the buck!

Comments: We were able to implement Katana as our central point for our entire software stack. Each piece of software gets its orders and data from Katana. Normally, I would be hesitant to put any of the software that small business sees on a daily basis into this important position. I had no issue putting Katana into this position.

Pros:

This software has a fantastic feel to make working in it incredibly efficient. As a person that works with software/web design/development, I can appreciate the attention paid to this incredibly complex platform.

Cons:

There isn't much we don't like. Most of the small things are already in the development cycle and they include small things like being able to customize Katana a bit more for our specific needs. Column order, custom fields, field mapping of API connections, etc.

Jeff
General Manager in New Zealand
Retail, 11–50 Employees

Most Intuitive MRP Ever

Comments: Overall it's simple to setup, simple to use, and while not quite polished, does everything we need in a hugely user friendly way.

Pros:

I was looking for a solution for seasonal manufacturing workers that we don't have time to get up to speed with some complex MRP - Kanata's UI is the most intuitive interface out of any MRP I was able to find. The ease of re-prioritising jobs, and the automatic stock refactoring is awesome, and the team are really, really responsive to feature ideas and issues. Seamless integrations with WooCommerce makes supplying orders to customers super easy.

Cons:

It doesn't quite have everything we need, some of which I though we're quite base (Bin Locations, Supplier Product Codes, Purchase Orders that email directly to suppliers), but all of those have work arounds, and I'm assured are planned for future development.

3 years ago

Thank you for the review!

Elias
Director in Singapore
Retail, 2–10 Employees

Simple but Effective Inventory Management

Comments: We've saved countless manhours on tracking inventory. It also makes purchasing decisions a lot easier, with the ability to know at a glance how much of each product you need to buy.

Pros:

PROS: - really easy to use, great interface - support is responsive, although we didn't have much need for support thanks to a very thorough and detailed knowledge base - reasonably priced compared to other inventory management systems - good integrations with Shopify, Quickbooks, etc - it made inventory tracking a lot easier for us as a manufacturer. The manhours saved on doing Excel updates to inventory would definitely cost more if you run complex operations

Cons:

CONS: - Integration with Quickbooks is a little iffy if you don't login to Quickbooks beforehand - It doesn't have a multicurrency feature for purchase orders (when you buy inventory in a currency different from your main currency) - It's not easy to account for freight costs in the costs of buying raw materials - You can't work in 2 browser tabs without paying for 2 users, this can be a little frustrating

3 years ago

Thank you for the valuable feedback! Some of your suggestions are already in our roadmap for 2021. Glad to see you are saving time and resources with Katana!

Kyle
Luxury Goods & Jewelry, 2–10 Employees

Streamline Any Business With KATANA

Comments: The customer service is honestly the best customer service I have ever experienced. They are quick to respond, clear at explaining, very knowledgeable of the software, and great to work with. Rep even made me videos walking me through the parts of the process that were hanging me up.

Pros:

The ability to streamline production, inventory and invoicing is a huge time saver and really helps with organization. I feel it is a great value for the money that you are spending and it

Cons:

There is quite a bit of setup to get everything up and running and everything really functions together. This is not Katana's fault and they really have made it easy. Once everything (materials, products, production recipes) are set up, it runs like a charm.

4 years ago

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience!

Mary Ellen
ecommerce manager in US
Retail, 2–10 Employees

It's a good start

Pros:

We like having the ability to make manufacture orders so everyone involved can see what's been planned and when it's due. The ability to prioritize orders is very helpful for assigning inventory.

Cons:

Identifying products that are ready to ship on each order is cumbersome. Our customer service team has to click individually into each order to see if any items are ready to ship. There's no way to easily flip to the next order. You have to close that window & click on the next order. It would be nice if you could at least toggle between orders within an order window. We'd also love to see some kind of drop down or hover-over feature that would quickly show you if partial shipments are available.

Matt
Director in New Zealand
Consumer Goods, Self Employed

Katana Review

Comments: Just the app I needed for my small business to mange the complexities of inventory and materials management. It is a no brainer for anyone looking to manage their direct to consumer manufacturing and will be my key managing fast growth. The sync between Xero, Shopify and Katana is exactly what I was after. Great support from the team too!

Pros:

I was looking for software that could manage both my purchased and manufactured products with both BOM and raw material management. Katana does a great job of this with the bonus of syncing with Xero and Shopify. It is not a complex system and simple for my small business.

Cons:

Katana is quite basic with what you can record for your products and materials. It would be great if there was more ability to add custom fields ( supplier SKUs, Drawing number references etc). Also some ability to customize purchase order and sales order format would be a good improvement. To be able to add a suppliers sku to a PO would be very valuable.

4 years ago

Thank you for sharing your feedback!

justin
President in US
Automotive, 2–10 Employees

Easy to use and helpful

Pros:

It takes some time to set up and deploy, but once it's running, its super helpful! Its very easy to generate POs, update stock levels, and track sales and make orders. All the function without the bloated junk that expensive and advanced MRP systems have.

Cons:

I wish there was a way to have a negative stock variant (a single product that represents a product subtraction rather than having to make a full copy of a product recipe minus that one single item). I wish there was a way to group materials without having to create a separate product for them. Each product will generate a separate make order, but sometimes Its not actually something that can be made individually, it just represents all the parts that make up an assembly. There is currently no way to make a group of materials that does not become its own product that the system thinks needs to be made as its own inventory item.

Marco
CTO in Czechia
Marketing & Advertising, 51–200 Employees

Katana is great for inventory management and manufactury planing.

Pros:

The UX and UI of app. Literaly everyone n our team is able to work with Katana how it is simply.

Cons:

Not very often but sometimes app kick me out and I have to log in again.

Winston
COO in South Africa

Katana

Comments: Katana have changed how we look at our stock management as well as our manufacturing.
A lot of the small important things were neglected in the past like wastage management. We can know give the subcontractor near accurate qty's and amounts of what was wasted on a batch.
Overall visibillity of the stock as well as the manufacturing process have improved.
We are very happy with the overall functionality of Katana.

Pros:

The fact that Katana is always available and so easy to navigate with saves time. Our requests for new features like back order handling, serial number tracking and multi currency and warehousing some of them already implemented and some coming soon. The fact that we response fairly quickly on questions that we have submitted.

Cons:

It was probably moving over from a well known package like Pastel Evolution to something not familiar to me; but the transition was seamless.

4 years ago

Happy to hear your feedback and that the transition has gone well!