15 years helping Irish businesses

About Mural

Make work make sense. Teamwork feels like less work with Mural, the secure, flexible, visual work platform built for collaboration.

Learn more about Mural

Pros:

It’s an intuitively designed easy to use virtual whiteboarding tool that comes with templates that you can use for exercises that you might want to run.

Cons:

Sometimes the web visualization gets stuck or shows blank boards where they should have content, but a quick page refresh generally fixes it.

Mural ratings

4.2

8.4/10

Mural has an overall rating of 4.5 out 5 stars based on 127 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Mural before?

Valerio
Valerio
Value Streams Transformation Lead in Italy
Automotive, 10,000+ Employees

Mural is the tool that allows you to interact with people from different cultures and ways of thinking/acting.

5.0 last month New

Pros:

Mural is the tool that allows you to express yourself and what you want to communicate, adapting to your needs and those of others. It is not just a tool, but an important means of synchronous and asynchronous interaction and communication. It can be used both for personal reasons (organising trips, activities, book reviews, study notes) and for professional reasons in teams and to support entire organisations.

Cons:

I really appreciate how user friendly it is and full of templates you can use and customize for any need. Also great is the customer care and IT support.

Information Technology & Services, 10,000+ Employees

Extremely intuitive tool for collaborative sessions between hybrid teams

Comments: I love everything about this product. In this new era of Hybrid work model and distributed teams across the globe, Mural provides an efficient way to whiteboard, brainstorm and creatively collaborate in an effective manner. I highly recommend this tool for design sessions, sprint planning, product ideation or project management.

Pros:

My project team started using Mural in last 2 years and it has been remarkably easy to collaborate and brainstorm with the hybrid teams. As a Product owner, the best feature about Mural is the availability of vast collection of templates. It saves a lot of time by picking up a pre-made template and refine it for your meeting/session. Additionally, its UI is super intuitive and easy to use, even for the business users, who are not as technically savvy as your design team members.Mural helps in organizing the complex ideas and concepts. It is extremely easy to share it with team members or clients for approvals.

Cons:

One thing I don't enjoy about Mural is its mobile experience. It is not very intuitive as compared to desktop experience. Its easier to learn the basic features of Mural, in order to contribute or participate in a meeting. however, if you want to use Mural to its full capacity, you will need to learn the complex features via some sort of training/learning material.

Audrey
Content Architect in US
Financial Services, 10,000+ Employees

Good, but not made for designers

Pros:

Mural is pretty good and usable, but there are some limitations for certain people/workflows. It’s definitely tailored toward people who host workshops, retros, etc., so if you’re doing that, I think Mural will be perfect for you. It’s got an integrated timer and tons of templates you can choose from. Oh! And I appreciate whoever’s idea it was to name every single color. :)

Cons:

Making a table or grid is impossible. I use Mural mostly for sharing copy-related work so there’s a lot of text heavy stuff I need to write in there. Making my own table takes so much time (is the connection tool technically the line tool????) but that’s the best way for me to organize info a lot of the time. Also frustrating is double-clicking and creating a sticky note instead of a text box. If there was a way to change this default option, it would save me a LOT of time. Infinite Canvas is a great addition but can we lower the opacity on the dot grid? It is very loud.

Przemek
Przemek
Lead, Infrastructure Specialist in Poland
Information Technology & Services, 10,000+ Employees

The best virtual dashboards.

Comments: Mural brings visualization to the information we pass through. Thanks to this, we can assimilate more information without confusion or getting tired because it is simply too much data. When we use Mural during meetings then participants are more engaged, and the meetings are less overwhelming to them.

Pros:

I really enjoy working with Mural Dashboards because their innovative content. We can see live view of changes made on board; we can work with dashboard at the same time which is important in big teams. The visual content is engaging and keeps people focused and relaxed rather than distracted.

Cons:

I don't like the logging process; it always asks for a password and doesn't remember my email. This part could be improved so the sessions could be longer, and browser could also save the email.

Katrina
Katrina
Human Resources Generalist in US
Hospital & Health Care, 10,000+ Employees

Mural is a very useful tool for creating projects

Comments: Easy-to-use and up-to-date cPanel for managing all Mural-described features and settings. Whiteboard functionality for teaching and explaining complex concepts. Webinar attendees will find it simple to use. Attendees may be easily managed by the admin.

Pros:

The top choice for hosting webinars online. Attendees from all across the world can easily connect to the webinar. During webinars, I was able to better clarify topics with its whiteboard tool. A query from a guest is easily raised. Meeting attendees and organizers alike can utilize the chat feature to stay in touch.

Cons:

We have utilized Miro for this very purpose before. However, it was expensive and offered numerous other functions that I had no use for. And after I switched to Mural, everything ran smoothly.

Brandon
Brandon
Sales Specialist in US
Hospital & Health Care, 5,001–10,000 Employees

With Mural it is easy to organize ideas

Comments: Easy to structure thoughts and communicate with others across time and space. Capability to work together and workshop virtually with a large group of colleagues; and to replicate, in virtual form, the benefits of in-person workshopping.

Pros:

Mural allows users to work together in real time or asynchronously, and with potentially big groups. This has helped me organize seminars for teams and include feedback from members who were unable to attend the meeting but still wanted to contribute.

Cons:

To begin, the interface is littered with many tools and buttons meant to facilitate collaboration; I found this to be somewhat bewildering before I had completed my first Mural.

Christian
Christian
Human Resources Manager in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Mural provides a perfect whiteboard experience

Comments: Facilitates group collaboration, which makes it a fascinating tool for workshops, ideation sessions, and goal-setting. In a Zoom meeting, this is the equivalent of using a white board in person.

Pros:

Mural's accessibility is second to none. Easy group work, ideation, and coordination are just some of the benefits. I've used it successfully both in-person and over the internet with a large group of people.

Cons:

There may be too many choices or customizations, or it may be difficult to locate the specific feature you need. The collection can be expanded to include additional types of template designs.

Information Services, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Excellent tool for ideation and collaborative processes

Comments: At the top of the tools that I use for collaborative process. I compare with other tools as Miro and Lucidchart and Mural is the best for far.

Pros:

The tool includes many functionalities to share ideas and customize boards for almost any king of collaborative process (Design Thinking, Agile Ceremonies, Kanban boards, etc).

Cons:

Maybe simplicity of the tools, when you are using the tool for a long time and get familirez with it, you going to need some strongest functionalities ir order to cover more ideas that come to you during the creation of boards.

Julie
Conservation Specialist in Canada
Environmental Services, 501–1,000 Employees

Excellent Tool for Collaboration

Pros:

Mural is my go-to tool for collaborating with groups online. The page navigation is intuitive. There are many useful frameworks and templates available to organize your work. Since moving most work online, Mural has been a critical tool to maintaining a collaborative work environment.

Cons:

Some of my collaborators have found Mural to be overwhelming at first but, with some coaching, they have adjusted. I find turning off others' cursors seems to help.

Bhavna
Marketing Manager in UK
E-Learning, 2–10 Employees

Great for team building activities

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

Helps remotely collaborate and conduct activities for team building. Also helps refer back in the future.

Cons:

Board becomes tricky to handle when lots of things are added.

Gianluca
Designer in Italy
Design, 2–10 Employees

A great tool with some improvement needed

Comments: Mural is a great tool, generally speaking I am happy with it. It misses some feature (sometimes basic ones) that would make our work easier and faster especially in the configuration of new murals and organization of large rooms.

Pros:

As a designer I use Mural daily to run co-design workshop with dozens of people. The simplicity of the tool makes it easy to understand and use even for people that are not much into technology. A couple of features I particularly appreciate are the content library (even though should be improved) and the possibility to multiple templates from different companies. Also che call feature looks interesting even though I never used it so far.

Cons:

There are things that needs improvement fast. I'll list a few. 1. Rooms should allow to sort murals in alphabetical order and to have a simple list visualization. Also names should not be cut like they are now (the only way to see the full name is via the tooltip) 2. Rooms and archive in my opinion are not enough to organize murals. It would be way better to have rooms and then the possibility to organize murals in folders inside a room. 3. It should be much easier to change the room/mural permissions. We often have sessions with dozens of people but only a few of them should have the possibility to edit. At the moment there is no bulk way to change the view only/edit permission 4. Grouping elements inside a mural should be enhanced. At the moment you cannot have a group of groups and that makes it harder to keep a logical architecture of the elements in a mural 5. At the moment there is no specific feature to create schemes or diagrams. We really would love that. 6. It would be much easier sometimes to have the possibility to specify the object size manually. 7. Content library needs to be improved to be really useful. Elements needs folders for a better organization.

Angel
ELV Presales Engineer in Jordan
Information Technology & Services, 51–200 Employees

A magical whiteboard to collect and arrange ideas and find appropriate solutions

Comments: MURAL has enabled us to keep meetings open and untimed, it has also enabled us to ensure the participation of all team members and also their approval of the proposed schemes, no matter where they are located. Brainstorming schemes helped us to collect ideas and arrange them in a distinctive way, and this helped a lot in understanding the needs and always finding appropriate solutions.

Pros:

MURAL helps team members stay connected and collaborate to stay on schedule. The MURAL whiteboard is great for brainstorming and arranging interactive sessions. I adore using emojis, shapes, and colors to develop a workflow model or collect team members' opinions and perceptions on a topic for third-party sharing. I like how MURAL lets us prepare Proto-Personas, Prioritize, and Experience Map with team members. It's expressive, accurate, and describes our issue well. I like MURAL's ability to organize cards into categories and assign cards to team members so everyone is on the same page. I like that MURAL has an intuitive interface that everyone can adopt to quickly, and the presence of several ready-made templates helps prepare the proper form for the topic we're discussing. I particularly like that final renderings may be exported as an image or PDF file for simple distribution.

Cons:

In all honesty, it's not about finding something you might hate with MURAL, as it's like a magical drawing tablet that enables everyone to share and collaborate in all circumstances and with ease.

Noemi
Researcher in US
Research, 51–200 Employees

The perfect place to make sense of your mind

Comments: Overall, mural is my go-to for sense making - both of my own thoughts and those of a group. Its a perfect, no frills, low-risk way to get ideas down on paper and analyze, refine, synthesize. It moves my work forward tremendously. For people who are visual or external processors like myself - it's an excellent tool to facilitate these processes.

Pros:

I love that mural gives me the tools to dump my ideas into one place and sort them. They offer great templates that give me a way to get started without being intimidated, and I love that I can invite coworkers in this space to see my thinking and to document their thinking there as well. Great springboard for conversations.

Cons:

Sometimes I get a bit confused with the level of zoom and the amount of space available. I sometimes feel like my level of zoom and the sizing of the post its is not calibrated. it's hard to know how much to zoom in so that I can still read what's on sticky notes while still seeing the surrounding ones.

I Heng
Teacher in US
E-Learning, 201–500 Employees

Looking for an online whiteboard, I discovered much more when I found Mural

Comments: Mural is literally the one software product that I started using for remote learning but continue to use even when teaching in person because I believe it truly supports collaboration, brainstorming, and mind mapping. I actually tried many other products and none of them comes even close to Mural for these purposes, for its ease of use, and for its flexibility.

Pros:

When teachers ask me if I have any go-to tools for remote learning, I always tell them about Mural. During a difficult year adapting to the challenges of teaching online, Mural was a bright spot because although I had only been looking for an online whiteboard, what my students get when they use Mural is so much more. 1) It's easy to use...my students were able to find and use the tools without instructions or guides. 2) It offers many ways to express and connect ideas with a palette of tools and a convenient interface. 3) The facilitator can build custom thinkspaces or choose from a variety of templates, and also decide what elements to lock in place. 4) There are different participation levels, including the "visitor" level which allows anyone with the link to join a collaboration. 5) The "wall" space is giant...I have never run out of space, and easy navigation and zooming provide easy access to the whole space.

Cons:

The only aspect I've found a bit challenging for those new to Mural is that sticky notes or text boxes sometimes pop up in unexpected places. As a facilitator, I sometimes have to roam around and delete unused elements that participants created but didn't find.

Divya
UX Researcher in US
Internet, 10,000+ Employees

Great for Collaboration

Comments: Collaboration. It is great for workshops and sprints. The fact that everyone can see and work on it at the same time is great, especially during remote work

Pros:

The main value of this software is the collaboration aspect. I love that I can bring people together regardless of their tech fluency and with one icebreaker activity, I can get them to use the main functions they will need for the next few hours. The double click for post-its, the "follow me" function, are great. I love that you can paste a URL and it shows a thumbnail of the article.

Cons:

Unless you have certain permissions, it is difficult to change your name. It was random that some people had Avatar names like "Visiting Sheep" and others "Ryan (Visiting Squid)". People were confused why it was not changeable, even though the UI allows you to write before you enter the room. But then it doesn't reflect. It is also difficult to zoom into certain post its if they are outside the main board but on the same screen. Zoom functionality is weird.

Faye
Principal Consultant in UK
Management Consulting, 51–200 Employees

Drive decision making and engage your audience

Pros:

I’ve used Mural for over 2 years now to run remote workshops with groups of up to 15 participants. My clients really love it! The best thing about it in my view is that you can build from independent work to group exercises and discussions and using brainstorming and the voting tool to drive decision making and action. I also like that you can invite people to collaborate with you without them having to pay for membership. I’m the Mural expert at my organisation, I’ve created a short course covering all the things people typically want to know about using the tool all Ng with some best practice tips: [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]

Cons:

The only thing that used to bug me about Mural was the fact that you couldn’t identify participants who joined as visitors (one time collaborators appear as anonymous animals). I noticed recently that visitors can now add their name which is really useful.I expect this change came from Mural user feedback, they do seem to develop the features over time.

Rachel
Learning Experience Researcher in US
E-Learning, 51–200 Employees

A good whiteboarding tool, but not my favorite.

Comments: It's pretty positive. Mural lets us get work done that we couldn't do without a whiteboard. It's not my favorite whiteboard tool ever, but it's pretty much exactly what you'd expect out of the tool.

Pros:

I like that Mural allows for collaboration and a great way to visually share ideas. We aren't able to actually whiteboard in person, since my team is all over the country, but Mural lets us work collaboratively pretty easily. We love using stick notes and putting pictures into the document.

Cons:

I dislike the sketching ability. I find it very hard to even do really simple sketches, like drawing a stick figure is too complicated. It would be nice to be able to easily draw a timeline or something to get ideas across more effectively.

Frank
Business Design Facilitator in Belgium
E-Learning, 2–10 Employees

Several years of XP with Mural

Comments: Awesome platform for visual collaboration like eg remote sprint sessions, UX artifacts
Personal productivity like eg Moodboards

Pros:

Canvas style whiteboard in the cloud with the right tools on-board to collaborate in a visual manner. Mural Community to share ideas

Cons:

Drawing tools not optimised for sketching but already improved a lot

Ana
Architectural designer in US
Architecture & Planning, 201–500 Employees

Fantastic remote collaboration tool

Comments: Overall I really like using this on teams and have shared it with many people who have adopted it on their teams.I don’t think there is a similar product out there that is offering this type of features to the level mural provides for brainstorming

Pros:

I was so excited to discover this tool and share with three of my teams. Since that time it has taken off at my company and teams are even using it with clients to communicate ideas and share design process with clients remotely. My first time using this tool was in a large meeting, complete remote, where people were sharing and documenting ideas for a brainstorming session, mostly using the sticky note function. The next time I used it on a different team, we really explored the functions this program offers, with importing sketches, sketching within the program, sticky notes and connection arrows... this has been fantastic to keep the intimacy of design collaboration going while we are not next to each other’s desks sketching on the same piece of paper.

Cons:

The sketching feature could be vastly improved to be more like concepts offers, vs the paint app on windows computers that is currently mimics. Some of my teams find the pricing model to be too high as well

Princess
Business Analyst in Philippines
Information Technology & Services, 1,001–5,000 Employees

A fun way to collaborate

Comments: Using Mural allows ideas to flow easily, really effective in brainstorming. You just put in ideas via sticky notes or place text in shapes or photos then members can organize them the way they want to. Definitely it is a fresh way of exploring creativity within the team.

Pros:

Mural makes collaboration enjoyable as you can be creative on how your boards would look like. Your board for today's design thiking can be transformed to a fresher more creative layout the next day. Truly, sky is the imit with Mural!

Cons:

The flexibility it brings when it comes to real-time updates especially for multiple users make the board a bit unorganized which is why locking objects should be easily accesible anytime and keyboard shortcuts should be presented easily in tutorials.

Michelle
Associate Professor in Canada
Education Management, 501–1,000 Employees

Using Mural as a learning portfolio in education

Pros:

We have tried and tested a few different versions of the learning portfolio. Using Mural as a learning portfolio is one of the most effective ways I have found that students can capture their learning and experiences. It is a non-linear way of demonstrating how our learning is multifaceted and interconnected. It allows students to be ultra creative in how they represent and capture their skill acquisition. It is rare that students in science are asked to be creative. Having this creative outlet allows students to express themselves in a different way!

Cons:

The zooming in and out can be a bit challenging, but multiple versions get saved in case you wish to go back...

Missy
Missy
Product Designer in US
Computer Software, 10,000+ Employees

Wayfinding is a little weird

Pros:

The mural.ly team is constantly garnering feedback in order to improve the product. While mural is a great concept to digitize the whiteboard, the execution is solid with room to improve. Great selection of icons and stickers.

Cons:

For my peers, I have observed it requires a higher learning curve in order to understand the controls and wayfinding around the board.

Patrick
Patrick
Director, MArketing Technology in US
Marketing & Advertising, 11–50 Employees

It's been particularly handy through 2020's remote work

Comments: Especially given the high amounts of remote work happening right now, it's been a very valuable tool to replace our traditional meeting room's whiteboards when we're doing things like planning out wireframes and architecture for our websites and digital tools. It's been a staple in very many meetings that would not have gone so smoothly or collaboratively without Mural. Highly recommended!

Pros:

I love the intuitive nature of the tool. The interface is super clean, and it works primarily through simple drag-and-drop. It took me all of a matter of 5 minutes to feel like I knew the tool. Of course, you can then star to dig deeper, left to discover various templates to assist you with various kinds of meetings and board demands.

Cons:

There's really not much to not like. The pricing plan is easy to understand, and it is competitive compared to the other tools we looked at. I've also had coworkers and clients with varying levels of technical expertise working in it with no issues. There's even a trial you can sign up for to make sure it is what you are looking for.

Jaime
Jaime
Product Specialist in Mexico
Oil & Energy, 10,000+ Employees

Mural an excellent option for make brainstorm powerful and increase productivity

Comments: In general my overall experience has been good i like to work and use this software because gives you the oportinuty to pass to another level using brainstorm sessions. Personally i think this tools comes to change our company think out of the box an make more productive and interactive our meetings

Pros:

One of the most important characteristics of Mural is the ease and versatility it gives to brainstorming sesion. Work with people in other countries using Mural is wonderful because all ideas can be located in the same paper and increase your productivity and get a lot of ideas to solve an specific problem.

Cons:

Well one of think that is important to improve or add is a tutorial for start to use Mural remember when I and our team use for the first time we spend some time trying to understand how to use it.

Gabrielle
Administrative Assistant in US
Education Management, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Very versatile

Comments: We have used this in the recent virtual switch due to COVID, and it has come in incredibly handy. We are able to present student work like we would in person, and have faculty critique it.

Pros:

I like that your project can be shared with non-users, and it works well for collaborative student projects. The students can see what their peers are doing, and work together.

Cons:

It takes a bit of getting used to, but once you play around with it a bit, it’s not hard at all. The mural team was always standing by if I had questions or needed assistance.