Filter by:

• Overall

About Wolfram Mathematica

Technical computing system that provides tools for image processing, geometry, visualization, machine learning, data mining, and more.

Learn more about Wolfram Mathematica

Massimo F.
Massimo F.
Assistant Professor in US

It's the Macintosh of the interpreted software languages, it just works right out of the box!

5 4 years ago

Pros:

The most critical feature of Mathematica (and Wolfram products in general) is that everything is seamlessly perfectly integrated. Everything is curated and maintained up to date. Competing platforms like Matlab sure offer a larger set of functionalities, but the integration of the many "packages" is too often very poor. In Mathematica, every package is fully integrated with the rest of the platform like no other software. Maybe you can say that Labview somehow reaches the same level of integration. Mathematica is a very flexible and multi-purpose software language that can be used for programming pretty much anything. New functionality like "Cloud-deploy" allow anybody to run algorithm made in Mathematica from anywhere in the world, from any device, with the only need of having an internet connection and a compatible browser.

Cons:

Some secondary functionalities like the Presentation notebook are not so well developed, yet. That said, I doubt many will ever use it.

Nuwan chaminda G.
Graduate Teaching Assistant, MSU in US
Research, 5,001-10,000 Employees

Very helpful for theorists in their research fields

5 2 years ago

Comments: As I am doing my research in the field of Quantum electron transportation calculations, it's very easy to do all my calculations and most important thing is that it helps us a lot to analyze all my results well. As we solve the matrices which are having a higher degree, it doesn't matter since we have Mathematica. It simplifies everything, all electron transportation calculation we have. because other methods, such as the Green Function method and Scattering methods are much more complex!

Pros:

It's easy to use as it provides more helpful manuals in the Wolfram site. If you can not understand some code, then you may click on 'help' and very easily you can find the meaning of the respective code. Plus, there are many more functions available to analyze, to do much harder calculations, to draw graphs, etc. It helps a lot in our Quantum Mechanics projects as once we analyzed the Icing Model using Mathematica.

Cons:

To be honest, I like almost everything in Wolfram Mathematica. The appearance of the software is great, and the work is very good and there are many more advantages of Mathematica. However, to improve, I think it's better to have some way to simply some of the codes in Mathematica. Anyway, as the users, that's also not a problem. Mathematica, simply one of the most powerful software we are using.

Mirza R.
Graduate Research Assistant in US
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 11-50 Employees

A good alternative to MATLAB

5 last year

Comments: Overall it is a reasonably good software. If you are starting out and want to learn this software I'd recommend it. The ability to solve symbolically is awesome and easy. It is nice to solve your math problems in this compared to MATLAB. Mathematica is much prettier than others.

Pros:

The ability to solve symbolic mathematical equations is better compared to any other software. The graphing and data analysis capabilities are up to par. Not very difficult to learn. The working space is better than MATLAB. Lots of documentation and community help is available online. I mostly use it to solve symbolic math problems in my daily work. The output can be printed and shared with anyone and will seem like an understandable document.

Cons:

There is a learning curve to Mathematica. You have to get used to the interface and the language. You might like it a lot or you might hate it a lot. But as an engineer I feel it is better to be an all rounder or a jack of all trades.

Siavash A.
Civil Engineering, 2-10 Employees

Wolfram is so great for symbolic mathematics

5 2 years ago

Pros:

It has a great symbolic tool box great for solving very complex mathematical equations.

Cons:

As someone who is used to regular coding languages like c. The coding in mathematica is initially hard to learn.

Aileen Z.
student in US
Computer Software, Self Employed

The gold standard of symbolic mathematical programming

5 8 months ago

Pros:

I've used Mathematica for classes for years, from testing the validity of my intuition to writing up problem solutions. It's been always unexpectedly powerful and well-documented. Any frustrations I encounter lie in my own ineptitude, not the quality of the software.

Cons:

Mathematica is not the easiest software to use. It requires a very clear idea of the problem you are trying to solve and a good understanding of the language syntax (which is notoriously different than most other languages). The built-in integration with WolframAlpha can help you address questions best phrased in plaintext. Also, the program is by far the largest on my computer (>10 GB).

Christopher G.
Student in Mexico
Education Management, 10,000+ Employees

An useful math program

5 5 months ago

Pros:

It is a very intuitive program, you can watch what is happening with all the equations that you want to know the answers, you can sort out the equation step by step and see whats wrong and fix it manually. It is simply the best option if you want to sort out any equation or any math exercise. Also let the user watch in a graph or chart the full data.

Cons:

The price is the only issue that I see in this program, people would prefer use another program due to the expensive price of this program and I not blame them, all the people want most of the ocassions will want to use a free to use program instead of a very expensive app

Simrat J.
Education Management, Self Employed

Pros and Cons

5 3 years ago

Comments: As a student, Mathematica has been very efficient in analyzing data.

Pros:

This software is really useful in manipulating data and providing expressions and equations. As a student, I have used it for chemistry to manipulate the math equations.

Cons:

Sometimes, Mathematica is difficult to cooperate with and does not realize that some expressions are in fact equal to one another. However, the built in help is great.

Morteza B.
Research, Self Employed

A must-have for engineers

4 3 years ago

Pros:

Mathematica is amazing! When you're not sure if an integral has closed form solution or not, then Mathematica can help you in just seconds! It's very powerful and is very handy. It's also very easy to learn! Definitely recommend it.

Cons:

When working with MATLAB, all functions are in small case. But in Mathematica, the first letter of predefined functions are usually in capital case. So it's a bit creepy when working with both simultaneously! It would be more than great if these two helpful software have same syntaxes.

James B.
Senior Software Engineer in UK
Insurance, 1,001-5,000 Employees

Good mathematical / scientific prototyping software.

4 4 years ago

Comments: Good mathematical / scientific computing framework, let down by the fact that there are free alternatives.

Pros:

Very simple to use language / environment for mathematical and scientific computing. If you don't have a programming background, the syntax is simple and very close to how you would write and equation.

Cons:

I think the only issue has to be cost. You can the same functionality (and possibly more) from free tools such as Octave.

Physics Research in Greece
Research, 201-500 Employees

Must Have mathematics package

5 3 years ago

Comments: Complex algebraic expressions manipulations 2d/3d data and functions plotting and also numerical work. It is just great !

Pros:

It does almost everything related to algebra / numerics. For professional and beginners this is the right platform to practice maths.

Cons:

It should be more affordable or have limited but with features free version.

Programmer in Armenia
Research, Self Employed

Powerful Tool for Symbolic Computations and More

5 3 years ago

Comments: This software has helped me a lot through the University. I have even used it for my undergraduate thesis, mostly for visualizing data and processing large datasets.

Pros:

Invaluable tool for someone studying/working in Computer Science, Machine Learning, Image Processing or similar fields. Everything you need regarding those facets of computational sciences is there! Mathematica has the ability to seamlessly compute, analyze and produce complicated data by using its rich set of built-in functions.

Cons:

Steep learning curve. Even though tutorials and documentation are readily available online, the syntax can be a little bit difficult to grapple with at first.

Carlos R.
Student in Mexico
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, Self Employed

Wolfram Mathematica

4 12 months ago

Comments: I have been using it for a while and I can say that it is a great app to use if you want go solve complex equations.

Pros:

What I liked the most about this software that I am able to solve almost any equation that I need for my work.

Cons:

I haven't found anything negative about this software, however, they could change a little bit the user interface to make it more comfortable to work with.

Graduate Student in US
Higher Education, 10,000+ Employees

Basic Computational Software in Mathematics

4 3 years ago

Pros:

Mathematica provides me quick references of graphs and solutions of mathematical functions. The best thing about this software is easy to use. Students/begineers can refer behavior of equations just by typing equations on the software and select "Evaluate Cell". People with advanced needs can do advanced mathematical tasks on Mathematica by learning Wolfram language.

Cons:

I am familiar with C++ and python languages, and some syntaxes on Mathematica are hard to get used to.

Design Engineer in US
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 51-200 Employees

Cannot Reccomend This Enough

5 2 years ago

Comments: Any time I have a complicated equation I turn to Wolfram. It's better than any calculator I've ever owned as it understands exactly what I type AND breaks it down and shows me each step. I reccomend Wolfram to anyone in a technical field.

Pros:

Can solve any equation, shows step by step breakdowns so it is easy to see if a mistake was made in my equation, is fast and easy to use.

Cons:

Sometimes I have to look up how to type out equations as I do not have access to certain symbols on a keyboard.

Jim C.
Jim C.
Lab Reseach Student, Belsham Lab in Taiwan
Higher Education, 1,001-5,000 Employees

An exceedingly powerful option for mathematics students

4 2 years ago

Comments: This software accompanied me through my high school and university career for all my calculus courses - it has been truly indispensable during that time.

Pros:

Powerful, with step-by-step solutions provided for a lot of calculus questions

Cons:

Occasionally, what is typed may be misinterpreted - there is a need for the software to ask for clarification when it requires it to reduce ambiguity

Joe B.
Joe B.
Digital Marketing Representative in US
Entertainment, 51-200 Employees

Confusing learning curve, great potential

4 2 years ago

Comments: Great potential for a tool, but you have to climb a steep learning curve before it's useful.

Pros:

Innovative functional syntax made it easy once you learned it. Flexible syntax allowed for numerous ways to code the same thing. Lots of resources to learn.

Cons:

Learning curve was steep. It crashed a lot of times on my Windows 10 laptop. Frustrating run times depending on my connection.

Alex J.
Alex J.
Graduate Research Associate in US
Biotechnology, 2-10 Employees

Graduate Associate using Wolfram Mathematica

4 2 years ago

Pros:

If I was ever in a crunch to get some problems done and had no idea where to begin, Wolfram always had my back and provided me with an example and steps on how to do the problem.

Cons:

Typing out a mathematical problem on a computer is tedious and difficult. One small error can lead to a drastically different solution.

Graduate Assistant in US
Higher Education, 10,000+ Employees

a must-to-know math app

5 2 years ago

Pros:

when I wanna check if my math computation is correct, or if I wanna see a formal result of an integral, a derivative, or just a plot of a function, I resort to Wolfram Mathematica. Simply said, it is an amazing app.

Cons:

So far so good. You have to learn to talk to it in right way, but it is doable.

Clerical/Graphic Designer/Website Admin in US
Higher Education, 1,001-5,000 Employees

From Math Nerd to Newb, Mathematica is so useful its almost a mandatory program

5 2 years ago

Comments: My overall experience has been an overwhelmingly positive one, a huge supporter of Wolfram!

Pros:

As someone who isn't very skilled in the higher levels of mathematic equations, Wolfram allows me to solve things with ease and often the examples shown help teach me how to do it myself in the future.

Cons:

On occasion I will struggle with an equation, but usually, that is due to some inaccuracies in how it is written as opposed to how Wolfram works.

Motion Designer, Editor, and Production Assistant, GMU-TV in US
Higher Education, Self Employed

Amazing and intuitive for solving math problems and calculations.

5 3 years ago

Pros:

Every time I use Wolfram, I am blown away by how powerful it is and how intelligently it parses plaintext to decode the problem I am trying to solve. It has countless features and abilities, and solves problems very quickly.

Cons:

There is nothing negative to say about this software.

Data Scientist in Armenia
Information Technology & Services, 501-1,000 Employees

Great mathematical computational software

5 last year

Comments: I used Wolfram mathematica when I was studying at university. The visualizations were very helpful to understand the material deeply.

Pros:

Wolfram mathematica provides many opportunities to learn mathematics, understand it better, calculate some different functions derivatives and plot graphics.

Cons:

It's easy to use and has many useful tools, but when you're doing big research it's not convenient. In general has more pros than cons.

Abdulkadir A.
Research Assistant in Turkey
Higher Education, 201-500 Employees

Engineering Mathematics

5 2 years ago

Comments: I have provided the opportunity for comparison for the solution of the models I have established for my PhD study. I found that the results were very close to the actual results. I keep using it to model real problems.

Pros:

Easily express mathematical terms and obtain solutions especially visually

Cons:

Failure to have knowledge about the errors that arise for the analysis of established models

Webontwikkelaar in Luxembourg

The real math-solver.

3 3 years ago

Comments: It will help you get better at math but will also give you a bunch of frustrations when it won't work because you don't know where to find that one functionality. I was lucky we used it in our education and they learned us how to work with it.

Pros:

It will help you understand Math a lot better and can do practically everything math has to offer. I used this in my education when I had some problems understanding certain mathematical problems. Since I ended my education I didn't use it a lot anymore.

Cons:

There is a steep learning curve and it's not really self-explanatory. You really have to have someone around who is used to using Mathematica when you're stuck cause the design is a little old and not the most user-friendly.

Mecanical Engineer in Turkey
Renewables & Environment, 2-10 Employees

Wolfram Mathematica Review

5 3 years ago

Pros:

The Wolfram Mathematica commands are very simple and easy to use. The help tab is also great.

Cons:

The cache fills up quickly therefore, you should restart.

Research, 11-50 Employees

Student researcher

5 3 years ago

Pros:

Makes nice graphs for mri data of rodents

Cons:

Can’t make all kinds of graphs in the best way