15 years helping Irish businesses

About Square Payroll

Full service payroll, built by Square. Pay your team in a few clicks. Manage your business in one place. We'll handle your tax filings.

Learn more about Square Payroll

Pros:

It is so easy to use, everything is online, it is inexpensive.

Cons:

For me as a new business owner it kept kicking back my federal tax ID number as the wrong one. I didn't know what that was about and entered it nearly 30 times.

Square Payroll ratings

4.6
4.4
4.5
4.6

9.0/10

Square Payroll has an overall rating of 4.7 out 5 stars based on 605 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Square Payroll before?

Troy
Troy
Marketing Manager in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 501–1,000 Employees

Square Payroll makes Payroll easy

Pros:

The Direct Deposit feature of Square Payroll makes paying employees a very streamlined and simple procedure. The W-2 Preparation features makes tax season a breeze. Sending employees W2s is all within the app. Vacation/Leave Tracking has truly increased the productivity of payroll and bookkeeping. This is the ultimate feature for this application.

Cons:

I feel as though with time Square Payroll will rollout a more aesthetically pleasing interface but I do not find any cons.

Bryan
Arts & Crafts, 2–10 Employees

The Perfect Solution for a Small Business Owner

Comments: We could not be happier with the Value of Square Payroll for our small business. It was exactly what our business needed and we love it. We were very nervous about taxes and getting folks paid correctly not being business owners before. Square Payroll made it incredibly easy to get setup, and then they just take care of it all. Then we get nice reports to get to my accountant, and all of the information you may need you can dowload at any time. It's an incredible value.

Pros:

The ease of use and setup of Square Payroll was incredible. It honestly is a plug and play type of software. Being a new small business owner Square Payroll was exactly what we were looking for. It's also great to have a one stop shop. We use Square Point of Sale in our shop, and to be able to get all of the sales information as well as payroll information from the same place is incredibly convenient.

Cons:

Our small business runs payroll once a month. We wanted to run payroll on the 15th of each month. Changing/customizing the date on the monthly payroll was not an option (monthly runs on the 1st of each month). Not a show stopper by any means.

Laura
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2–10 Employees

Great in some ways, very expensive in others

Comments: I loved this software, ease of use, money paid UNTIL I had a change in employee status and found out, after 3 months and 3 different customer service agents, that you cannot go from using payroll, to not using it without completely closing the account. And if you close the account, you won't get the tax forms.

Pros:

The ease of paying employees when I want to and knowing all the tax forms are done for me is great!

Cons:

Lack of flexibility. You cannot open/close your payroll account more than once. If you have part of the year you don't run payroll or have employees for, you must keep the account open the entire year, until January of the next year if you want your tax forms. If you then bring employees back, after closing the account, you cannot reactivate it. The second thing I have issue with is lack of customer service. They respond in 3-5 days, with a stock response, and it took me 3 agents before this was explained to me. I have no employees for 6 months, but I have to pay the $45/month if I want my tax forms at years end.

TIMOTHY
PRESIDENT in US
Restaurants, 51–200 Employees

SQUARE PAYROLL

Comments: OVERALL EXPERIENCE IS VERY GOOD. IN MY 40 YEARS IN BUSINESS I HAVE FOUND A BETTER PAYROLL SERVICE COUPLED WITH FRONT AND BACK OF HOUSE.

Pros:

EASE OF USE AND SET UP. ALMOST ANYONE CAN DO IT.

Cons:

A COUPLE OF TIMES IT SEEM TO STRUGGLE WITH MY NUMBER OF EMPLOYEES.

Michelle
Owner/Hairstylist in US
Cosmetics, 2–10 Employees

Effecient and Timely

Comments: My overall experience with payroll has been amazing. Even when my account was compromised, Square still made sure that my employees got paid.

Pros:

Square is the most effecient product that I have ever used. I can make my appointments, and the fact that my team can clock in and out, make appointments, and get paid in a timely manner, leaves alot of the stress off of me as the owner. I can work in one program, I don't believe that Square is missing any features as far as payroll is concerned. Payroll pays my taxes for me and it pays it in a timely fashion.

Cons:

Nothing bad that I can really say about square payroll.

Amanda
Co-owner in US
Food Production, 2–10 Employees

Happy with my purchase

Pros:

The ease of use is the biggest pro for me. Requires very little prep work for me to prepare payroll, unlike other companies I have used in the past.

Cons:

There is very little downside to Square Payroll, the only issue I have come across has been that I am not able to cancel or make any changes to payroll later in the week. There have been times where I have made an error and did not realize it until midweek and it is already too late to make any changes.

Shannon
Operator in US
Restaurants, 2–10 Employees

Square Payroll is perfect for my small business

Comments: It's a fanstastic and solid product. I've used square payroll for over 7 years after using several other services like Quickbooks, paychex, ADP and nothing beats it in terms of price and quality.

Pros:

We use square for our POS, scheduling employees, and payroll. It's a fantastic all in one product for a small business.

Cons:

I've used so many other products and I don't find anything about this one I don't like or that I feel like it needs in addition to what it already provides.

Elisa
President in US
Veterinary, 2–10 Employees

I love Square!

Comments: Customer service has been great when I have needed it. They create and send out W-2’s and 1099 if you pay contractors. They do all New Lenox hire reporting and taxes.

Pros:

Easy to use. We use them for payment processing as well. I can do payroll in about 5-10 minutes. On boarding is easy as employees securely submit their own information.

Cons:

For direct deposit you can only have your pay deposited into one bank account. There is no option for splitting.

Mike
Mike
Sports, Self Employed

Hassle Free Payroll Solution

Comments: I'm a big fan of anything that saves me time and headaches, and there is NONE larger that sending out tax forms or other financial obligations. Controlling payroll from on easy to use hub is a great value, and it only costs a small monthly fee per contractor.

Pros:

I am a sole proprietor/ LLC, with independent contractors as opposed to full/part time employees. I absolutely love that Square Payroll manages every facet of fund transfer including submitting tax form to my contractors, essentially taking care of my responsibilities as an employer.

Cons:

The employer dashboard and features are pretty basic and may take some to get used to what functionality is available. The users, my hires, have not experienced any problems or difficulty, so that's the most important pat.

Alexandria
Alexandria
CEO/Owner in US

So easy to use

Comments: Square Payroll makes it so easy. I've heard so many horror stories about other payroll companies.

Pros:

I love how easy it is to setup, add employees, and run payroll every week. I also love that they offer easy integrations with things like workers comp.

Cons:

Honestly I haven't found anything I don't like about Square Payroll.

Entertainment, 11–50 Employees

Ignores problems and has terrible customer support

Comments: Terrible. Their customer service agents don't take the time to understand or resolve the problem.

Pros:

Running payroll is simple and I could automate the entry of payroll data to avoid mistakes.

Cons:

They have screwed up my tax filings every month since switching to Square Payroll. I've reported it to them every time. Now they want me to pay extra to have them amend my filings.

Joseph
CEO in US
Real Estate, 501–1,000 Employees

Essential system to execute payroll payments in an automated way.

Comments: Square managed to ensure that our employees could receive their salary at the right time and without any kind of delay, in addition, our company is of medium size, so the manual payroll process was quite complex, we had to spend a lot of time to inspect and make payments, plus we had to hire more people to run these payrolls, so Square has replaced all of that, with their automated Payroll system. I'm happy with the results obtained with the help of Square, I have been able to make unlimited payroll payments, I have been able to make deductions from salaries and many other things.

Pros:

Square made the payroll process so much easier for our entire company. I loved the way this platform allows me to use the trip monitoring function, this function was very important to me since it works in real-time and allows me to monitor all the trips scheduled by our employees, I can see the amount spent on that trip and many more details. I also liked how accurate and without delays the payroll payments are executed, this way fantastic because it allowed our employees to be able to receive their payroll simultaneously, all payments are executed through this system on the same date and same time. I liked the automated service to send payment report to our employees mail, this helped a lot so that our employees could see what debits there were in their payroll, or any added bonus.

Cons:

The only problem with Square is that it is difficult to correctly configure this service to integrate it with the time measurement service, it was so difficult that after a weed trying to do this integration, we were not successful. However, we currently export the time reports and import them into the Square platform to execute the corresponding payments, but it would be great if this integration was easier, so that we can enjoy it in our company.

Louis
Lead Purchase / Sales in US
Computer Software, 11–50 Employees

Square Payroll has proven a valuable solution to organizing and managing many vital aspects of our financial output system to employees.

Comments: We were pleasantly surprised by Square Payroll's deep feature set and found that this application can contain just about every aspect
of payroll function to employees. This application offers access for employees to individual accounts in order import hours worked and to create
reports regarding vacation hours or even company benefits to name a just few of many parameters.

Pros:

We appreciated the inclusion of so many capabilities inside the Square Payroll application such as salary calculators which generate accurate payroll rates individually or by group. This is one of many features Square Payroll offers through an easy to use front line interface. Our team was also impressed with Square Payroll's ability to integrate with our third party operational management software already in place. Synchronization is proven in most cases quite fluid. As Square Payroll supports mobile use on IOS and Android, access is readily available for employees when remote.

Cons:

With such an outstanding and comprehensive application , our team found Square Payroll's customer service difficult to contact and almost as equally difficult to work with during our installation and integration phases. We are happy to report that this level of service improved as we progressed with Square Payroll's application features. There is a rather robust and informed online forum that is available where so many issues can be resolved thus improving client quality control levels.

Erica
Office Manager in US

Square has taken great care of us. Always there when we have questions. Simple to employees

Comments: 1. Self controlled payroll (i.e. I can edit punches, see everything behind everyone's payroll).
2. Much faster/more efficient punches (no longer writing it down, having employees punch in and out on the ipad is so much easier).
3. I can do payroll from anywhere. I once did it on the top of Haleakala in Hawaii.
Efficient filing from payroll specialists, and being able to remove employees right away if they are no longer working for us.

Pros:

1. The option to fix things right on your account. It makes accuracy and ease seamless. It is also very quick. 2. The customer support! Because I'm constantly on the go with my job, being able to send an email and receive an email response to my question makes it easy anytime and anywhere to get help. The responses are always knowledgable, patient, and consistent. 3. Being able to see the stats on our payroll is AMAZING. With previous payroll specialist it seemed like we didn't have the option to really see behind the scenes, but now we are able to see everything and every penny.

Cons:

There are times that the software gets glitchy when people punch in and/or out (will say they punched in or out but didn't actually/will say they worked a different amount of hours than they actually worked). Employees can usually tell from the punch screen though if something went wrong. After letting me know, it is always an easy fix, but still a fix to have to take care of.

Best Bang for Your Buck, No Headaches

Comments: I completely set up the system, enrolled all my employees, and processed my first payroll in half the time it normally took me to run a pay period using my old system.

Pros:

Hands-down is the high compliance standards for very low cost. Close runner-up reasons are ease of use, both from the employer side as well as the employee side. This software is really great, offers a lot of protection, and cuts my payroll processing manhours from tens of hours every week to roughly 45 mins of double-checking things before hitting "PROCESS". Seamless direct depositing, set-up and managed by the employees themselves (though I can go in and make changes if they need help - only had that happen once so far, but still important). Very very VERY intuitive if you have spent even a little time in any other payroll software (yes, including manual spreadsheets).

Cons:

I haven't had a chance yet to test the multi-state or international aspects (assuming international even exists).

KK
Assistant in US

full function, price-friendly

Comments: Save a lot of time and figure out a lot of things via this one platform. Can check the sales and manage the customer anytime via one device.

Pros:

This app offers a series of services, covering lot of services about marketing promotions, employee payroll, sales report and the customer management. I like its convenience of operating the whole store and simplify the management procedures via only set up some services. I can directly contact customer via the loyalty program and quickly gain some feedback for better improvement for the product and service. Additionally, it offers some beautiful design templates for the e-gift card, which save some cost in printing out paper gift card and design fee.

Cons:

The customer service is just OK because sometimes it didn't email you back in time. Square mostly will lead you to the community to see how your problem can be fixed. It did waste some time to find a related correct way to fix the problem or get an answer for the question.

Barbara
Fine Art, 2–10 Employees

Best Payroll and Benefit Program for Small Business

Comments: Great customer support and ease of use.

Pros:

Time tracking and tax reporting were invaluable

Cons:

No complaints - everything worked as I hoped

Sarah
owner in US

Saves me VALUABLE time and Energy

Comments: I am saving SO MUCH TIME, I know for a fact that my employees are clocking in and out and REAL times and not just the times they were writing down in my sign in book, it keeps everyone honest, it's been an absolute life and time saver!

Pros:

I absolutely love the ease of use, Square Payroll submits all my tax documents for me, works up my W2 and W3 forms at the end of the year, it is so easy and effective!

Cons:

I wish the app was a little bit easier to edit when I need to adjust a Timecard. Sometimes one of my employees forgets to clock out, and it takes a while for me to go in and change their timecard.

Anjie
Veterinary, 2–10 Employees

I have recommended Square Payroll numerous times.

Comments: It's been absolutely superb. It's quick and easy to use, and the customer service has been wonderful, especially for someone so out of their depth. I don't understand all the required parts of running payroll, and I need employees, so I rely on them to handle everything for me, and they do.

Pros:

Like many small businesses, payroll is not something I know how to do. I needed a quick and easy way to handle this and still be in compliance with all the laws. It's a bit daunting, but Square Payroll made it so simple. I don't have to worry about anything because they handle everything with incredible efficiency.

Cons:

I do wish I could have the vacation tracking be done simply by the month, and not by hours worked. My team gets vacation time based on the month they work instead of the hours because we have slow months where they don't work as many hours, but I still want them to have the benefit of that time off.

Dena
Managing Partner in US

Good software at a great price

Pros:

The software is very user friendly, which is a major plus of the software. I like that you can add Memos to the paystubs now. This is a nice feature. Also the software's features are of a great value for the services provided.

Cons:

I do not like that you cannot generate complete timecard spreadsheets which include the date, start and end times for each day for a specified time period. You can download individual timecards for any given day, and you can generate a spreadsheet with the total number of hours worked for a given time period, but you cannot generate a single spreadsheet which includes the date, start and end times for every single date in the time range. I have addressed this with Square support and have asked for this to be something considered in software updates. Employers in CA are required to maintain timecards for their employees so it would be very convenient if Square could add this feature to the software. Having to download each individual day's timecards is rather burdensome. Also, Customer Service has not always been very helpful. Sometimes I just get a cut and paste with the rep which does not address my specific inquiry.

Jason
COO and Co-Founder in US
Consumer Goods, 11–50 Employees

Really enjoy Square Payroll!

Pros:

I love how employees can set up direct deposit OR have a manual check, along with Square withholding the taxes and telling me exactly how much has to written in the check. Very easy to manage employees, adjust hourly rate, overtime, timecards and off-cycle payments.

Cons:

Wish there was a way to bulk add employee timecards. For example, if an employee works 5 days a week from home (I know of Homebase, but from a manual perspective) and the same hours every day. I currently have to submit 5 timecards, instead of one batch one. Employees ask about seeing a breakdown of their hours inside of a pay period.

Cassandra
owner in US
Retail, 2–10 Employees

This is my first payroll experience, so I don't have anything to compare it to.

Comments: I enjoy the convenience of having payroll streamlined with my point of sale system.

Pros:

I've been very happy with the ease of contacting a real person to answer questions, of which I've had many. I appreciate how simple and streamlined the process is, and that I don't have to file any of my own paperwork.

Cons:

When I signed up, it was at the beginning of Q2, and I had to run offcycle payments for Q1. Instead of filing Q1 late on it's own, Square combined it with Q2 and filed it all together. This was an inconvenience to sort out, and caused lots of confusion. I am still waiting to find out if I have to pay an IRS penalty because of this issue. Also, when I was signing up and adding employees, the software glitched and created multiple accounts for several of my employees. There is no way to completely remove these erroneous accounts from my employees list, so at times it has been difficult to sort through to figure out which is the "real" account for each employee. I'm currently trying to figure out how to find out the YTD payments for one of my employees, and I'm having a hard time finding this information.

Sarah
Food & Beverages, 11–50 Employees

So easy for one location

Pros:

Square Payroll is so simple to use, it takes minutes to complete payroll now. If you have one location I highly recommend it.

Cons:

You cannot pull different location’s payroll from different bank accounts, square only allows one bank account for payroll.

Iris

Good

Pros:

Friendly to use. Easy to maintain. Allows many options, Like it in white, looks clean ( saw the new stand in black, didn't like it)

Cons:

The stand is not practical for busy business. We purchased two years ago and has the problem with connection all the time. Poor design. Also, the new version is very expensive and the company doesn't take the old one to give some credit in exchange.

Brandon
Construction, 2–10 Employees

Great Product

Comments: I’ve been using Square Payroll for two years, and have yet to have an issue with it. I love it!

Pros:

This software is quick, user friendly and very inexpensive!

Cons:

There’s nothing I don’t like about the software.