15 years helping Irish businesses

Square Appointments Reviews

About Square Appointments

Square Appointments is an all-in-one scheduling POS for booking, payments, and team management.

Learn more about Square Appointments

Pros:

When I opened my practice I needed an appointment system that also worked with my merchant services. Square appointments was so easy to install and navigate.

Cons:

The only problem with it is that typically our clients just want black and white, yes or no, a or b.

Square Appointments ratings

4.4
4.3
4.2
4.3

8.0/10

Square Appointments has an overall rating of 4.4 out 5 stars based on 186 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Square Appointments before?

Carolyn
Carolyn
COO, Owner in US
Veterinary, 2–10 Employees

Square appointments isn't made for mobile services, which we are. But we still use it.

Comments: Setting up our clients too me forever, about 3 months. but that's because we were a mess going in. Customer service is exceptional, and easier to get ahold of than you would expect. There are several bells and whistles tat we were not expecting. Things we didn't know we need but now couldn't live without. Our clients recognize the product, so they are happier using it. We would recommend this product

Pros:

We like that our clients recognize the product, and are less skeptical to use it. We like the POS integration. We like the customization of our receipts and the reminders to book again.We like the organization of our customers.

Cons:

We wish there were more options to show the different stages of an appointment (appt offered, scheduled, confirmed, canceled, completed). We wish there were rout optimizations. We wish you worked better for mobile business. And AI that keeps road/weather conditions as well as distance between clients in mind would be a fantastic start.

Anthony
University Intern in Ecuador
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Square Appointments: A Powerful Tool for Appointment Scheduling

Comments: As a IT intern in the University, I had the opportunity to work with Square Appointments in a small business project. I found the software to be user-friendly and intuitive, with a range of features that helped the business to manage their appointment scheduling and customer information. The online booking feature was particularly helpful, as it allowed clients to easily book appointments at their convenience. The software's capacity to control employee schedules and set up automated reminders also aided in streamlining the appointment-setting procedure for both staff and clients.

Pros:

Square Appointments is a thorough appointment scheduling program that provides a number of features to aid businesses in streamlining their appointment-making procedures. Businesses may easily manage employee schedules, set up their scheduling preferences, and provide online booking to their customers with its user-friendly interface. Additionally, this software allows for a great deal of customization, including the ability to program automatic appointment confirmations and reminders via email or text message.

Cons:

One downside of Square Appointments is that it can be relatively expensive, particularly for small businesses or independent professionals. Additionally, some users have reported issues with the software's mobile app, including slow loading times and glitches.

Lisa
Stylist in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, Self Employed

Appointment scheduling made easy!

5.0 last month New

Pros:

I absolutely love this app. I can keep track of my appointments and allow my clients to make or change an appointment. It's so easy to use! Plus, the reminders are automatic so I do not have to take time to send these out manually. Huge time saver!

Cons:

I really cannot think of any cons. I really enjoy this service.

Amber
Nail salon in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2–10 Employees

Not my favorite for appointments

2.0 last month New

Pros:

I didn’t really enjoy it for appointments prefer it for credit card swiping

Cons:

I was not a fan of trying to integrate my my books to it. It wasn’t an easy transfer

bridgette
Owner in US
Retail, 2–10 Employees

Appointments made easy

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

This online booking feature is phenomenal. Customers can access the site or app anytime day or night. I like the features of being able to choose from different colors or layouts. My customers also provided great feedback about receiving reminder text messages as an appointment approaches.

Cons:

Nothing is nothing I dont like about the software.

Lucille
Event Director in US
Events Services, 2–10 Employees

Easy All-In-One System

Comments: I would highly recommend Square Appointments for a simple system that is elegant and user-friendly.

Pros:

Square Appointments is great because it alleviates one less account you need. It handles merchant processing, product inventory, client records, appointment deposits and more.

Cons:

I don't like the look/functionality of the embedded scheduling widget. It doesn't blend well with most websites and is very noticeably a square application. (Which I suppose is great/strong branding on their part)

Alternatives Considered: Acuity Scheduling

Reasons for Choosing Square Appointments: Schedulicity wasn't staying current with the changes in media appearance. It was starting to feel very "dated" compared to the strides other companies were taking. They also did not have a true app at the time.

Switched From: Schedulicity

Reasons for Switching to Square Appointments: The pricing of Square was optimal as well as their integrated payroll system for my team.

Kunal
CEO in Australia
Legal Services, Self Employed

Good but with limitations

Comments: If had a local business I would not shift away from Square, but since my business serves customers globally I needed a better alternative.

Pros:

The best thing about Square Appointments that the free feature gives you most of the options, most important being to collect payments and deposit them straight into your bank account. No fuss. Easy to use and integrate.

Cons:

However, Square Appointments is best for people who serve local clientele and do not serve clientele based in another time zone. In my case, I have a business where I meet up online with people located in different time zones and across the globe. The biggest disadvantage is that Square Appointments does not show booking times in their local time zone. It uses my time zone everywhere, it makes it super confusing for people who are booking. Another con, is that it will collect payments only in your currency, it won't convert or collect payments in another currency. I am based in Australia, but my customers in Canada would want to pay in Canadian Dollars and not Australian dollars, thus is a bit of hinderance for me. The last thing is that if you wish to go paid then it is pretty expensive starting at $35 per month, per location. All this when other competitors are giving the same features for much less.

Alternatives Considered: Calendly , Setmore and Acuity Scheduling

Reasons for Switching to Square Appointments: I finally went with Setmore which is much more cost effective, gives the same features and suits most of my needs.

Lorrie
Lorrie
Independent Consultant in US
Professional Training & Coaching, Self Employed

Square appointments allows seamless appointment setting.

Comments: Allowing clients to 0ay at appointment set up makes a smooth transition without multiple steps from other processors.

Pros:

Square appointments is easy to use and features everything that a small service oriented business needs. I love that clients can pay for the service from the appointment page.

Cons:

At first I was confused on how to make payment from appointment window optional. The steps could have been more clear.

CharRon E.
CharRon E.
Mobile DJ in US
Entertainment, 2–10 Employees

Square Appointment on the go

Comments: I enjoyed the use of the program. It was an issue when I didn't use square for all my clients. It wanted control of my schedule.

Pros:

It connects to my Instagram account and website for clients to register on their own. The interface is simple to use. Very streamline.

Cons:

That is connected to the square app. It need to connect to the app. All the appointments have to done inside square appointments.

Alternatives Considered: Calendly

Reasons for Choosing Square Appointments: To use square app for my business transactions

Switched From: Acuity Scheduling

Reasons for Switching to Square Appointments: It was simple to use and it connected with square app

Kelly
AR Billing Specialist in US
Hospital & Health Care, 11–50 Employees

Easy and quick to use, Customizable experience

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: I really like it! I have used it many, many times and it is fairly easy and quick to navigate.

Pros:

I like that it is very customizable, and you can tailor it to suit your individual need, such as if or how you need a reminder sent.

Cons:

I found that it has the ability to be a bit confusing sometimes. I booked an appt once under the wrong appt type. I feel like this was likely the fault of the business professional though, and not actually the app itself.

Bonita
Business Owner in Canada
Alternative Medicine, Self Employed

The Best Appointment Integration for Online Booking

Comments: I was one of the first Canadian adopters, and when I noticed a small issue with the postal code field (which at the time was set up for only American zip codes), which affected a client's ability to book a session with advance payment, Square support was quick to resolve the issue, and they offered me some free transaction fee coverage for my trouble. While I eventually switched to payment at the time of service, I appreciated how quickly and deftly my issue was resolved.

Pros:

It works seamlessly, and allows me to give my clients a Covid message, and a link to my client/practitioner agreement before they even book their session. I love that it integrates Square software and my Google Calendar, so there is no duplication of effort. Though I do not use the feature, it's brilliant that it will allow me to accept payment through Square at the time clients book an appointment.

Cons:

Some of the backend features could use some tweaking. Given how many of us work from home, there should be an option for a client to choose a remote session, not just their home or my office. I always have to contact clients to find out if they want to meet at my office or work via Zoom. That choice should be one that clients can make clearly at the time of booking their session.

Melody
Salon Owner & Educator in US
Consumer Services, 2–10 Employees

It served us well!

Pros:

I love the streamline look of it on the customer side of things. The appointment scheduler was easy to use. There are a lot of options for salons on the backend with Square that I did enjoy.

Cons:

It could be difficult to use on the business end. I hated that the app and the desktop version were so different. To make adjustments on my stylists booking options, I'd have to check in three different places to make sure everything looked correct online. The customer service was not great all the time or easy to get too. I am someone who does enough research and figures things out on my own, but for people who aren't great at problem solving, this isn't an easy app to use.

Caitlin
Clinical Nutritionist in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, Self Employed

Easy to use, loved the automatic reminders and mobile app

Comments: This was a great appointment booking software for me. The only reason I switched is because there was one available with the program I use to keep my clients' records, and I was already paying for it. It made sense to make the switch, otherwise I would have stuck with Square.

Pros:

The mobile app was great for checking my appointments for the day and booking clients in no time. I loved the automatic reminders; this was a huge time saver for me. So easy to use, worth the money!

Cons:

Square Appointments was free for some time but then they started charging--I feel like they got me hooked on it and then I had to pay monthly. But, still worth it for all the time it saved me and with how easy it is to use.

Ricky
Owner in US
Consumer Services, Self Employed

Square Appointments for Salons

Comments: I think my overall experience with square appointments booking system has been a great one. I rarely had to contact support and when I have any issues were resolved swiftly.

Pros:

I love the calendar syncing and ease of booking and calendar management features but it's a toss up with the customer database. We couldn't function without any one of these features

Cons:

I didn't like that I had to pay up to a new tier and the only added feature I needed was the ability to point my domain name to my square booking site.

Tugce
Assistant Revenue and Reservation Manager in UK
Hospitality, 201–500 Employees

Square Appointments makes scheduling so much easy

Comments: Square Appointments is a comprehensive solution for our scheduling requirements.

Pros:

Square Appointments reduces the business related scheduling process to straightforward levels thanks to its features.

Cons:

Square Appointments would be a perfect scheduling solution if it could offer its features for a better pricing.

Jas
Manager in US

SQUARE APPOINTMENTS IS THE WORST!

Pros:

NOTHING is good about this program, at the time we were excited to have square appointments since we had the POS. But it has crashed, lost valuable information and jeopardized our security by letting unauthorized users log into our business account.

Cons:

The system has constantly crashed, for over a month now we have lost client information, appointments and our calendars were wiped out due to an upgrade. There are only "managers" that only take feed back, refuse to transfer you to an engineer and lose notes on the issues. They also have breached the security of our stylists and our business by interlinking their appointments application to our Point of sale. NO ONE should be able to have access to the business account. These stylists are independent contractors!

Jaree
Massage Therapist in US
Hospital & Health Care, 2–10 Employees

Great Product!

Comments: This is a wonderful product. It makes owning a small business very doable. Most companies only offer of part of what square offers all in one package. They are easy to communicate with but rarely need to do so. I also like that if you don't want some of the services you have the option not to pay for them if you do not need that service.

Pros:

I can find everything I need in owning a small business all in one place. Other companies do not do everything that square provides in one.

Cons:

Services are more tailored to a product based business as opposed to a service based business making some of the features a little more difficult to utilize like I would like to use them.

Tiffany
Educator in US

Appointments

Comments: I have a wonderful time using square and I recommend it to everyone I know that’s in business

Pros:

I love that I’m able to link my business ventures together as far as appointment setting and use of the online store.

Cons:

What I didn’t like was the monthly fee but that’s gone now

Jamie
President in US
Cosmetics, Self Employed

Great customer service and does what it needs

Comments: Great! Honestly, except for the forms situation...it was been what I need. Customer service reps are very nice and helpful.

Pros:

I like the simplicity of it, it is well organized, and it is user friendly....especially for a new business owner like me

Cons:

Yes, not having a forms option. I am in the beauty industry/PMU and it is super important for me to have clients fill out forms. Having to print them out and then having them fill them out on the day of their appointment is time consuming. I wish that Square already had the options to send clients forms (and forms with images on them). And having to turn on my location settings every time I wanted to log on to the app

Kathleen
Owner\ Pet Stylist in US
, 2–10 Employees

Satisfied Customer

Comments: I started using the square in 2012 my business has grown thanks to all of the benefits and tools that the square has offered I recommend them always to all my clients who are going into or already have businesses.

Pros:

I like the ease of the square, from the on line scheduling to my daily deposits, it just makes life alot easier everything i need is at a touch of a button . Thank you.

Cons:

I havent found anything that I dislike.

Natasha
Licensed Esthetician in US
Cosmetics, 2–10 Employees

Square

Comments: I like square i just hope they tie up the loose ends to their POS

Pros:

I like that square allows you to take any major card payment. Also you can charge client directly from client profile it also allows you to save a card on file for your client for further purchases.

Cons:

The cons about square appointments are you cannot take deposits before appointment. Also the processing fees are a bit much. Recently I’ve had to reach out to them about fraud emails and scams I’ve been getting.

Beth
Owner/Operator in US
Consumer Services, 2–10 Employees

Auto Pilot Appointments!

Comments: Wow, I love it, my clients love it, don't know how I would operate without it... Fifty percent of my clients book without me ever emailing/texting/calling. They request an appt, I accept, they show up. Totally frees up my time, don't even need to make "reminder" calls anymore.

Pros:

Ease of use for both me and clients, easy to write notes and track clients, easy to do personal notes to clients on confirmation, can instantly track history. Great communication, great client history without any effort. And that includes their tip history as well -- all tracked through Square.

Cons:

The fact that if I allow clients to cancel appointments on line, a cancellation shows up FOREVER on the overview page. Annoying.

Flor
Massage therapist in US
Medical Practice, Self Employed

Appointments

Comments: Combination of appointments and paying for services is an ideal combination

Pros:

Easy to use and very effective. Simple way for clients to make appointments and paying for a service

Cons:

Basic program but not as complete as massagebook. If you just want appointments, this is easy to use

Tiri
Hairstylist in US
Cosmetics, Self Employed

Would recommend to small business owners

Comments: I haven’t had any problems with square so far everything isn’t great but it’s good for a small business owner like myself

Pros:

What I like the most is that I am able to keep track of my appointments and clients so easily. It’s a great way to keep your calendar in check!

Cons:

I do not like that I cannot sync my phone calendar and the square app or even if they had a widget for the Notification Center would be great!

Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2–10 Employees

Cancelled My Account instantly after 8 months with no explanation!

Comments: Awful. Beware if you care to keep your business able up and running.
No notice, no explanation and don't even have the decency to talk to you to tell you why.

Pros:

It seemingly worked well, was easy to set up...

Cons:

They literally sent me an email stating I was in violation of their terms & agreements and sent me to vague sections of their legal babble. I am a physician- they would not talk to me over the phone, terminated my account overnight and will not communicate via phone. Will only send email stating this "our final decision is irreversible." I am appalled.