15 years helping Irish businesses

Google Sheets Reviews

4.7 (13,029) Write a Review!

About Google Sheets

Online spreadsheet making tool that helps in creating, editing & sharing spreadsheets in real-time through any PC, mobile or tablet.

Learn more about Google Sheets

Pros:

Even greater is that since a sheet file can be uploaded in Google Cloud, then sharing the file and having the file available for all tech supports across the university.

Cons:

I hate that there is no customer support really when you are having an issue and you have to go to the forums.

Google Sheets ratings

4.6
4.4
4.4
4.8

9.1/10

Google Sheets has an overall rating of 4.7 out 5 stars based on 13,029 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Google Sheets before?

Filter reviews (13,029)

Tanishq
Tanishq
Content Writer and Digital Marketing Executive in India
Consumer Services, 11–50 Employees

Take your reporting to the next level with Google Sheets

Comments: User friendly with good and exciting features supporting the requirements of today's day and age.

Pros:

1. Simple and easy to understand with all the necessary tools available right in front of the eyes. 2. Uploading and downloading feature with multiple file format support. 3. Version and editing history with option to suggest edits. 4. Highly controllable in terms of sharing with email notifications.

Cons:

I did not find any cons of this product.

Cheri
Secretary in US
Education Management, 51–200 Employees

Powerful Tool Aids in Collaborating and Organizing

4.0 last month New

Comments: I started using it several years ago just as a data entry spreadsheet. Since then, I've grown my skills in data validation and conditional formatting to make tracking and using information easier.

Pros:

I can manage a lot of student data before students are accepted to my campus and put into our SIS. I can share this data with different departments and administrators to help them perform their jobs.

Cons:

I wish Sheets were capable of merging mail like Mircosoft Office.

Deidre
Residential Cleaner in US
Construction, 2–10 Employees

Not for me

Pros:

I didn't get to know this to much of but from what I I'm did use it was not me

Cons:

Everything i didn't like any of it. Waste of time

Reema
Associate Director in US
Education Management, 11–50 Employees

A Million Times Better Than Excel

Comments: Read above. I adore google sheets. It's the best program I have ever used.

Pros:

Google sheets is better at collaboration and sharing, is a lot more user friendly, and is more intuitive than Excel has ever been or will be for the foreseeable future. The last time I tried to use the shoddy online sharing version of Microsoft, it made you reload the spreadsheet a number of times if more than one person was using it, which led to a ton of hassle and lost work. That has NEVER happened with google sheets. Google has all the functionality and formulas that excel has, but cell sizing, customization, collaboration, and user interface are all exceptionally better. Additionally, you can reference cells from other sheets in real time, and run code to automatically create docs and pdfs with Apps Script. Graphing is better and more intuitive than excel. Conditional formatting is easier to apply and manage. Data sorting is easier. Mail Merge makes emailing leads and customers a breeze. Just everything is better, and it's a fraction of the cost, if not just straight free.

Cons:

I literally can't think of anything. I use it every day, and they are constantly coming up with new additions to compare to any functions excel has that they don't yet.

kiran
HR Assistant in India
Marketing & Advertising, 11–50 Employees

Helpful Software to maintain data

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Over all it's good and easy to use product

Pros:

it's easily available on browser, and real time live working and team collaboration

Cons:

some time the app script feature does not work properly i use on edit command and sometimes i guess it lags a few time over large data

Samantha
Office manager in US
Hospital & Health Care, 2–10 Employees

Google sheets makes life easier

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Overall experience is one of the best programs I've been using.

Pros:

That everything is easily able to integrate with in our system

Cons:

I can honestly say that I have found nothing that I dislike as of yet

Daniela Petronela
Sales Manager in UK
Automotive, 201–500 Employees

Google Sheets

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: Overall, sheets is a nice alternative to Excel, is cloud based so is secure and accesible from everywhere. Formulas are amazing and you can do almost everything, import from another sheets, sort, filer, reports and many many more.

Pros:

I use it and enjoy it. Is simple to use and because is in the cloud i can access it from everywhere. Sharing it with others is really easy and the possibility to give permissions like just view or edit is a nice feature. Making graphs for different sheets is easy and exporting the data to other software is easy.

Cons:

Cons?! is free, is powerful is good. No cons for Google Sheets.

Marian
IT Tehnician in Germany
Industrial Automation, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Google Sheets

5.0 last month New

Comments: Overall, Google Sheets is a powerful app, works great, always safe in the cloud and easy to share.

Pros:

I use Google sheets to keep some of my tasks organized. With the wright formulas and scripts i have converted my Google Sheets in some powerful tasks management. Because is saved in the cloud you can share it with others and working in the same time without any problems.

Cons:

Using it on mobile devices can be challenging.

Food & Beverages, 10,000+ Employees

Excellent for sheets-based dynamic collaboration and sharing

5.0 last month New

Comments: Anytime & anywhere. It is a perfect cloud-based tool for efficient collaboration. Being able to edit/ access from multiple devices and being sure all changes just get applied on the right/ unique sheet version is just great.

Pros:

Collaboration capabilities are really great. I just started enjoying utilizing G-Sheets from day one. It is very easy to use, and its sharing features make it a great tool to foster collaboration and teamwork easily. Making sure all team members are just working on a single/ universal/ unique sheet version is efficient (avoid multiple unknown confusing version/s of sheet/s) and safe at the same time.

Cons:

I have not found a caveat for the time being.

Shankha
Social Media Strategyst in India
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

A Lot Better than MS Excel

5.0 last month New

Comments: Google Sheets is a well-rounded spreadsheet tool that excels in collaboration and ease of use. It's a fantastic choice for individuals and teams who need to organize data, perform calculations, and work together seamlessly.

Pros:

While both Google Sheets and Excel are powerful spreadsheet tools, Google Sheets shines for several reasons, especially for everyday users and collaborative teams. Real-time editing & free access make Sheets perfect for teams and anyone with a web connection. Auto-saving & cloud storage ensure peace of mind and accessibility. Strong formulas handle most everyday tasks. For everyday use, Sheets is fantastic. Easy sharing, auto-saving, and cloud access make it a breeze. It's great for most users and their spreadsheet needs.

Cons:

I cannot find any right now. I am really happy using it. I use it daily.

Amy
Amy
Graduate Teaching Assistant in US
Higher Education, Self Employed

Reliable & Time Saving Organization Tool

Comments: Google sheets has saved me a lot of time and encouraged me to organize data and lists in table formats, which is a more accessible and attractive format. The many templates google sheets offers also saves me time so I don’t need to build everything from scratch. The fact that google sheets is free is amazing.

Pros:

I use google sheets to keep track of email lists, budgets, and to list professional opportunities. I’m a PhD student and college instructor. Google sheets is great for making quick tables of info that I can share and allow people to add their info. So, instead of having to input everything myself, google sheets allows for more crowdsourcing and collaboration. It’s also a simple looking design that’s attractive and easy to read for a wide audience.

Cons:

Google sheets has many buttons and drop down menu options. Despite this, I always have to search for how to perform certain functions beyond the basics. The buttons and menu options are not very clear or helpful. It’s very confusing and takes me awhile to learn how to perform basic functions. It’s sometimes a hassle to use google sheets for this reason.

Owner in Canada
Music, 2–10 Employees

Very Useful and Practical Spreadsheet Program

Comments: Overall, I use Sheets daily. It integrates flawlessly with other Google services as well as IFTTT and 3rd party workflow utilities. Google Assistant can update your spreadsheets by voice and the functionality is perfect for all of my needs. I require no other spreadsheets and I still find new functionality I wasn't aware of as I go.

Pros:

Google Sheets is a cloud based browser interface software. You don't actually have to install an application in order to use it. although, unless you're on a PC or Mac you'll want to anyway just for the ease of use of the app interface. Because of the cloud base all of your documents are accessible on any device that you can sign in on with your Google account. To use the software it stores your data in a free Google drive or if you choose a paid Google One storage service. The biggest point here is that if you choose not to have the massive storage you still get plenty of free space to hold as many of your free spreadsheets as you can imagine. So you can utilize these services for no cost and have all of the base functionality that any regular business or person would require. Combine the service delivery model with the the functionality of Sheets and you've got a winning formula to tackle most if not all of your needs. You can utilize formulas, traditional row column handling, paste in graphics or use charts etc. All in all, it has every major function available that the average user could need/want.

Cons:

The interface getting into Sheets can seem a bit clunky at times. Unless you're used to cloud based services you may find yourself frustrated desperately seeking the same button. It auto saves and you need to therefore be able to interface with the cloud to access your spreadsheet or think ahead and use the 'make available offline' option. The interface is a little different if you're coming from a Microsoft world so there will be a bit of a change you'll go through adapting.

James
VP in US
Information Technology & Services, 11–50 Employees

The perfect spreadsheet for 90% of everyone

Comments: For one, we were able to eliminate 90% of our Office licenses since Word and Excel were the two most commonly needed. I use it for everything and since i also handle IT for the office I essentially dictated that Sheets is what is what we offer outside extraordinary circumstances. Always there, always works. It has really made things such as simple pricing reports, equipment tracking very simple. I have not used Excel for years.

Pros:

It works great in all those usual spreadsheet ways but the sharing and collaboration is really top notch and while it's a bit standard nowadays when it launched it was really revolutionary. No more emailing files back and forth or file shares with permission issues. While many of those problems can be solved with good IT practices Sheets made it out of the box easy. It really just works and it's fast to load as well.

Cons:

Printing setup could be better, i know that's a compromise with the browser running the show, but it almost always takes some adjusting to get things to print out the way you want.

Sherry
Educator in US
E-Learning, 11–50 Employees

All the Data Functions You Need

Comments: I've used Google Sheets for over 10 years and it makes all my business accounting much less painful to complete.

Pros:

Google Sheets is an easy to use spreadsheet software that has all the functions needed to create accurate data analytics.

Cons:

Google sheets isn't a direct mirror of some of the more expensice spreadsheet software, but it has all the basic functions needed to run my business with ease. The feature that I miss the most from other software is the ability to sum multiple columns at once. Having to sum columns individually is more time consuming, and yet still easier and more accurate than doing them by hand.

Arthur
owner in US
Construction, 2–10 Employees

Spreadsheets Cascading Faster & Greater Functionality

Comments: My overall experience with Google Sheets began tentatively. I was using a One-Write Accounting System, and then switched to MYOB. While MYOB was more feature rich, what the CPA requires from us is more than met by Google Sheets' features. Over time, it's been possible to switch our entire disbursements into Google Sheets - something I can then simply 'share' with my CPA. A breeze!

Pros:

What I like most about Google Sheets is its ongoing development. Already easy to use, Google Sheets continuously upgrades functionality. I've been in construction for over 50 years, beginning with accounting books with double entry and lots of tedium about them. Now, it's possible to simply paste a statement from either the bank or the credit card company directly into the disbursement spreadsheet that I've built using Google Sheets. Each month I spend less than an hour at accounting work that formerly took endless amounts of detailed work. Excellent!

Cons:

I'm an Apple Computer user, and the unfriendliness between Apple & Google sheets is sometimes annoying. Nevertheless, workarounds are easily enough achieved...

Erin
Teacher in US
Higher Education, 51–200 Employees

Google Sheets - Live Data!

Comments: I absolutely love it, and would be lost in the classroom with it! My husband, in his field, uses it often as well, AND we use Google Sheets at home for different reasons. The live updates and the easy sharing between the Drive makes it VERY easy for us to both access the info separately and see the most accurate copy of it.

Pros:

The 'live' part and the collaboration is great! The integration with Google Forms is used daily to analyze my students' results, and I can easily add calculations of averages, standard deviation, etc. I also frequently use conditional formatting to help me visually see the data I'm collecting.

Cons:

With a competitive program, if I am missing a parenthesis on the end, it will still assume what I meant and calculate it. I know this is small, but can be annoying at times. The competitor also show me the way a formula should be written, to make sure I am entering it in right.

Heather
BDC Manager/ Ordering Manager in US
Automotive, 501–1,000 Employees

Google Sheets Is My Go To Tool For EVERYTHING

Comments: By far the best product on the market. I use Google Sheets for EVERYTHING. From lists for work to organizing things within my personal life.

Pros:

This product is seamless. Being able to live update documents with a team is a game changer. Comparing to other options on the market, this is by far the easiest to use.

Cons:

I would say the only thing I would like improved on this program is the process for sharing under different accesses. If I have multiple people I only want to be able to view, and others I want to be able to edit, the process of having to invite them each individually is tasking. I love the option to share the document via a link but it doesnt allow you to change the access for different links. If you change the settings it changes them for all unless you have granted them access specifically.

Matt
Software Engineer in Australia
Computer Software, 51–200 Employees

Great alternative to Excel for spreadsheet collaboration

Comments: Love this tool - use it daily for a range of applications. Really couldn't think of life without Google Sheets!

Pros:

The ability to share it with other team members is excellent. I love the way it can be styled, and the ability to add Google's "chips" to it for extra context is nice too. Being Cloud first means it's easy to access from anywhere, and the mobile interface is usable too.

Cons:

Working with functions and conditional formatting can be a little cumbersome - they do the job just fine but the UI is not as intuitive as it could be

Heather
Owner Operator Coach in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2–10 Employees

Love Google Sheets paired with Google Drive

Comments: This allows me to increase productivity for the business. I can work from anywhere I have a spare moment. Updating spreadsheets on the go. If I can’t make it to the gym, I can update a workout in the spread sheet on my phone which my partner can immediately access at the gym from the iPad and display on monitor for athletes arriving thanks to sheets paired with google drive. We are a small operation and any additional cost, however small, is a big deal. Even if I had the resources, I can not see paying for Excel when Sheets meet and exceed my expectations! Again learning curve is small and intuitively obvious especially if you are a user of Excel

Pros:

Google sheets is free, easy to use and with google drive I can use it across all my tech phone, computer and iPad! It is similar enough to Microsoft Excel that the learning curve is small. One of the best things is how easy it is to use paired with Google Drive. I can up date sheets on my phone, computer or iPad and the change is universal. If I am at the doc office with time to spare. I can write a program on my phone. Then go to gym and access it on my computer to display on big screen or make modifications via my iPad or computer. I can update a sheet and allow my partner to see changes and he can make adjustments to the sheet if necessary. I am an athletic performance coach and personal trainer. I use it write my workouts, keep up with athletes assessments and measurements. Use formulas to calculate stats, BMR, calories, etc. it has become a crucial part of how I run my personal business.

Cons:

There are a few nuances that are not intuitively obvious compared to using Excel. I had trouble freezing 2 columns etc the way I would in excel. The minor inconveniences are small compared to the great savings and the flow between google software products that make this software a tool that I would not want to give up!

Katrina
Katrina
Event Specialist in US
Consumer Goods, Self Employed

Just like Excel but better!

Comments: Google Sheets have helped me out when Microsoft Excel let me down. I had a school account for MS Suites. On one of my assignments, all of my data was lost when my tablet died. After that I found Google sheets ony Chrome book, it worked with or without the internet. I syned all the time after every edit. It works great with my invoices and school assignments. I can insert charts, format cells, find and replace data, save to my SD card or my device, attach to emails and edit Excel files to save on my device. This software I'd very useful.

Pros:

I like ease of using this software. I am a mystery shopper and most of my assignments require lists that use this format. On any assignment, I may have around 2000 grocery items to locate and update. I find it easy to select cells to enter their UPC codes , ounces, or general data, multiplying or adding formulas are easy. I am thankful I recently had a computer programs refresher course last semester that taught how to edit spreadsheets. You can also sync your progress so you won't lose progress. This is a BIG plus to me! You don't know how many times I was using Microsoft Excel and my tablet died and my information was lost because it didn't sync! I had to return to the location and start back over and write the prices down during and after the tablet died again. Google sheets sync without me having to save anything. It even allows me to work offline, which is fantastic. Every edit/change is automatically updated and saved. I don't have to be connected to the internet and it still sync my sheets. I love Google sheets. I also use it for receipts and inventory for my online Clothing Boutique "Beauty Dior Divas". The color formats are great, I like the choice of change. I used sheets to analyze and graph my sales monthly. I help my mom with her business, I set up here monthly sales and chart her losses and gains to compare to the same month but previous year. I love the ease of sharing your sheets by email. My scheduler can edit the forms, if necessary.

Cons:

None, I have no problems with Google sheets.

Russell
Russell
Consultant and Teacher in US
Education Management, Self Employed

Shift to Sheets!

Comments: Analyzing data, creating charts and brilliant graphs, using add-ons to do even more incredible things from the spreadsheet.

Pros:

Sheets is a great option for spreadsheeting, data management, and analysis. Since it's cloud-based, you need not worry about losing it, forgetting to save, etc. - it's always there in the cloud, constantly saving, and available anytime, anywhere, on any device. Next, it's logically arranged and has a user-friendly interface. Being a part of the G Suite platform (Google Apps), it comes free with your Drive/Gmail account, so there's no need to download any software, purchase anything - it's available free of charge. Sheets has the ability to do the almost every analysis you'll need. Lots of advanced functions and calculations are built into the platform. What I've been most impressed with recently is the "Explore" and insert graph features - it's very intuitive. Sheets does a good job of "guessing" the best way to display chart data into the form of a graph. And even if you don't like the bar, pie, line graph it creates, you can easily change it with just a few clicks. In my opinion, Sheets is the easiest spreadsheeting platform that I've used when it comes to graph creations. Beyond that, the add-ons available through the G Suite Marketplace give Sheets "superpowers." Consider exploring Autocrat, FormMule, Flubaroo, and RowCall just to name a few. Each of these add-ons were created by independent developers and allow the spreadsheet to accomplish even more! An awesome feature!

Cons:

I have few complaints really, but some users have complained that Sheets lacks some of the heavy-lifting capabilities of other spreadsheet platforms. I would disagree, and suggest that you just need to explore a bit more and consider using an add-on. There are also hundreds of YouTube videos and posts that explain how to accomplish goals that you may be struggling to achieve. Another limitation with the software is that the amount of Sheets you can produce or data you can store may be limited by the size of you Google Drive account, which will require a monthly payment. I feel that Google's prices are worth it, though.

Renee
Sales Consultant in US
Retail, Self Employed

The best program in the Google Office Suite-- Use often and highly recommend

Pros:

This software has performed the best for me of any of the softwares in the Google office suite. I can easily create spreadsheets with similar functions as Excel and the crossover was not difficult as all. I was able to quickly adapt to this platform and use it for bookkeeping and organizing my thoughts for various businesses. I love that I can easily add to it and check it from my iPhone. Some of the ways I use it on my iPhone are for inputting expenses as they happen for my business and for organizing my pantry and grocery lists. It is something I use and check everyday and I love how easy it is! Additionally, I was able to develop a fairly complex spreadsheet (with the help of techy friends) who were able to write macros into it that they would normally use with Excel. Because of the easy link sharing feature, I was able to share this with other people to assist them in the calculations I was doing.

Cons:

One of the biggest cons is not enabling people to share the document as a template. It would be nice to give a link and then allow people to have it as a template so they could edit it without having to go to "File" and "save a copy". This does allow me to use google sheets more than I use docs as a Microsoft replacement (see other review), but there are a few features I still find to be difficult. For basic expense and revenue tracking, I enjoy google sheets because I can access it from anywhere and update it from anywhere. But for my family budget, I still prefer Excel, especially with the ease of conditional formatting (which is possible but more complex in sheets). I also still prefer excel for turning data into graphs and charts. Overall however, Sheets is an important program that I use /daily/ and I highly recommend it!

Financial Services, 10,000+ Employees

Phenomenal Interface for Efficient and Collaborative Work

Comments: My overall experience has been absolutely incredible. I work with large thousand-row spreadsheets on a daily basis, and Google Sheets has made collaborative work extremely easy, allowing for the saving of hundreds of hours, as multiple users can work on the same canvas.

Pros:

The best feature about this software is how much it facilitates and encourages collaborative work. More specifically,when working on large spreadsheets, there is an ability to create viewing windows or "filter views" which allow all collaborators to enjoy the benefit of controlling which/how much movement and change they see on their spreadsheet when working on a pivot table, while at the same time not interrupting or affecting the other collaborators who are also working on the project. This allows for the perfect degree of individualistic freedom and collaborative ability while working on a large spreadsheet with features such as a pivot table.

Cons:

What I think this software could improve on, is the simple ability for a user to successfully download a compatible version of a Google spreadsheet as a Microsoft Excel file. Often times, as is the case too with Google Docs, users require an attachment to make part of a professional email, a report, or an online upload. For this reason, the file must be turned into an Excel spreadsheet. If this process is not user friendly, as can be the case, users might be tempted to simply use Microsoft Excel from the beginning. This lack of compatability with more complicated features such as pivot tables, column filters, etc. can be the root of such issues with compatability when using the software.

Summer
Animal Transport specialist in Kuwait
Import & Export, 2–10 Employees

Very inexpensive way to do schedules, accounts etc across non compliant devices

Comments: I use Google sheets to lay out everything that needs doing per client per date so that I can quickly keep track of what needs doing & when. I use different colours for different meanings and different sheets for completed work, years & accounting. Basically anytime I need to store raw data this is how I would do it.

Pros:

One of the best features is the fact that I can work on it off line and then it automatically updates when I am online. It also means that I can access my documents from anywhere and any device as long as I can log into google safely, whether it is android, iphone or imac. This is very important for me as I often have to be working "light" as in with only my phone on me, but I am still able to access all my data, which is really important. Feature wise, as far as I can tell it is the same as the Excel suite across platforms. The most important feature for me is that it is compatible on both the imac and android phones. As I work off both interchangeably, using excel for Mac does not work on an android phone and this really messes me up. So Google sheets is a safe alternative for me that does not give me any issues on either device.

Cons:

Honestly, I do not have an issue with it. It does what I need it to do. If I have issues I suspect it is more user error / lack of knowledge rather than a problem with sheets.

Md Rakibul
Digital Marketing Executive in Bangladesh
Information Technology & Services, 51–200 Employees

This Google Sheet just makes everything so easy!

Comments: I rely on this tool every day to manage my daily and weekly schedule, input project data, and more. I've been using it for over four years.Using Google Sheets has been a time-saving solution for me, and it has encouraged me to present my data and lists in table formats, which are not only more organized but also more visually appealing.

Pros:

One of the best things about Google Sheets is its cloud-based nature, which allows you to access your spreadsheets from any device at any time. Your changes are saved in real-time, so you can seamlessly continue working on a spreadsheet from wherever you left off. If you're already familiar with Microsoft Excel, then you'll find Google Sheets to be just as user-friendly. Google Sheets also allows for easy collaboration with others. You can share your spreadsheets with team members or collaborators, who can then review or edit the document in real-time. What's more, you have the ability to set different levels of access and restrictions for those who are viewing your document, making it a highly flexible and secure option for teamwork.

Cons:

Iit's not easy to pinpoint specific drawbacks, there are some minor issues with Google Sheets. For instance, some of the functions can be more challenging to use when compared to Excel. Additionally, I have had difficulty finding certain functions, such as the "format printer" option, which is available in Excel but seemingly not in Google Sheets. However, I acknowledge that there are many features and functions in Google Sheets that I have yet to explore.