15 years helping Irish businesses

About draw.io

Cloud-based diagramming tool that helps create, share, track and manage diagrams through drag & drop functionality and templates.

Learn more about draw.io

Pros:

Does everything I need it to do for simple diagrams and flow charts. Easy to use and available in the browser makes it perfect and flexible.

Cons:

Draw.io is an online tool making it unavailable for use when there is no internet connection.

draw.io ratings

4.5
4.2
4.4
4.7

8.8/10

draw.io has an overall rating of 4.6 out 5 stars based on 756 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used draw.io before?

Olga
Olga
Edutainment Coach in Ukraine
Education Management, 2–10 Employees

Indispensable for Studies!

Comments: That's just Splendid. Spectacular. Studious. Superb.
Really remarkable. I cannot imagine how I would have done without this thing.
User-friendly, responsive, adaptive, trustworthy, reliable, relieving! Easy-to-use and flexible. Comfy and effortless. Efficient and Effective. The best tool I have ever used for my studying, working and research activities! Powerful and simple.

Pros:

Well, this service reminds me about the most memorable, pleasant and amazing time in my life. I was doing my first Master's at the Higher School of Economics (Moscow) and my daily studying routine included using different apps for creating presentations, slides, docs. I had not known any good app for creating block schematical diagrams and one of my group mates (she actually had a Bachelor's degree in Programming) advised me to use this app. The app turned out to be an inspiring and useful thing for brainstorming, analyzing and summarizing lots of data. It let me do my homework and research tasks fast and easy, without painstaking efforts and excessive pressure. In this service you can easily make any kind of precise diagrams, beautiful schemes, pie charts, block chains and many more. You can save your drafts, download in a suitable format and work on them later. Learning and studying process has never been so easy, comfortable, ergonomic and time-saving. The tasks which were shamefully time-consuming and complicated in the past have become now as easy as apple pie. Even if you just need to analyze, describe, summarize or explain lots of data to your colleague, grandma or friend, this service can become the best solution for you.

Cons:

Well, if you did not save and download all of your drafts in several formats before turning your device off, you would experience unpleasant problems with recovering your drafts then.

Daniel
Daniel
Integration Architect in Spain
Computer Software, 1,001–5,000 Employees

An easy alternative for Visio outside Windows OS

Comments: I began to use this software on my Mac when I needed to edit or create a diagram. It was my alternative because the MS Visio doesn't have version for macOS. But, due to the compatibility problems with some files with special metadata, I finally changed to use MS Visio in a virtual machine.

Pros:

It is full web software to create diagrams of flows. Has a lot of templates and objects libraries similar to the MS Visio than help to create the draw. It is compatible with the Visio files. Also, you can use your OneDrive or Google Drive storage to work inside this.

Cons:

Despite you can open Visio files not always the metadata of these are open well. This generates compatibility problems between both applications. Also, I found problems using some Visio templates from my colleagues in the software.

Katie
Application Developer in US
Automotive, 201–500 Employees

draw.io

Comments: For a free alternative to Visio, this is a great tool! Our company mostly uses Visio for process diagrams that are pretty in nature and given Microsoft's licensing structure, it is a pretty hefty price to do so. While we have some general resistance to change, for the most part when people start using it they are convinced.

Pros:

The design is intuitive and easy to play around with to figure out how to do the things we need to do. Additionally the OneDrive integration is great for us as it is a concept our users are comfortable using.

Cons:

The biggest downfall to this software is people's resistance to change and a new thing they are not used to. Because this is web based instead of installed software based, we have seen people show unease and resistance to using the software. Having an installed version may help this transition more. Additionally the text controls within shapes are a bit limited.

Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

Creating entity relation diagrams in draw.io

Comments: I’ve been using draw.io to make entity relations diagrams, to know how I’m going to design the database.

Pros:

Integration of other tools, templates for elements, diagrams and flowcharts. There’s also support for dark mode.

Cons:

Sometimes loading the diagrams takes a couple of seconds, there’s like delay.

Edgar
Edgar
Consultor en comunicación y tecnologías de información in Mexico
Performing Arts, 2–10 Employees

Flow Chart and Diagram Design for the Masses... for Free!!!

Comments: I'm impressed and still diving in to all it's features. I really like the amount of templates available to start any kind of project.
There are tons of predesigned symbols to use also for free!
Also, you have a bunch of export options from image files to svg for vector editing that other apps don't have.

Pros:

Draw.io is an open source project for everyone. It's a robust team formerly known as diagrams.net but now it's made a really big app for both online and offline (Windows, macOS, Linux) use for FREE!!!! I've used many other diagramming tools with great results, but I'm really impressed with this tool, no registration needed onless you want to save your work online but all is done in the cloud (Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive, etc.) On the desktop version (a 74 MB download for Windows) can be downloaded through their Github project mini site, as well as the other versions. No payment whatsoever!

Cons:

On the online version some editing and drawing functions are a little clumsy, but nothing that some patience can't solve.

Dylan
Dylan
Software Developer in UK
Computer Software, 11–50 Employees

Powerful, free, and very intuitive

Comments: Draw.io is my diagramming tool of choice. It's free, and easy to use, and you are free to download your diagrams in a variety of free and open-source formats for use in other software. Nothing is locked behind proprietary formats, or predatory pricing. If you want the more enterprise features to collaborate with bigger teams, you're welcome to pay, but you can go a very long way on the free tier.

Pros:

I love that draw.io can be used entirely for free, there are no diagram types nor crucial diagramming features that are locked behind a paywall. They have a wonderful free template library of starter diagrams and their tools are competitive with even most paid diagramming software. I absolutely love draw.io.

Cons:

Bigger more complicated diagrams can become slow and janky to edit, but being a web-based tool a completely understandable constraint, and can usually be forgiven and/or worked around by splitting diagrams up into more digestible chunks.

Trabelsi
Trabelsi
Web developer in Tunisia
Information Technology & Services, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Best tool for creating uml diagrams

Comments: Almost two years using draw.io and never get any issues.

Pros:

Draw.io provide all MS viso functionality for free.it has all the shapes and linker that you need to create a nice and professional diagrams. It’s very accessible and has a very intuitive UI. You can export your diagram or save them using google drive or one drive which is very nice especially if you need to access to them in other devices.

Cons:

To be honest I didn’t notice any major con

Harsh
Harsh
Researcher in Spain
Higher Education, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Create Appealing Diagrams with Ease

Comments: I absolutely love using Draw.io. It is my go to tool for create various kinds of diagrams and flowcharts. I have the tool added in my word plugin as well to easily access the diagrams.

Pros:

I like using Draw.io to create a various kinds of skeleton diagrams and flow charts. I love the ease of accessing different shapes and using various connectors to create appealing diagrams.

Cons:

I think that Draw.io can be further improved by allowing to select the flexibility to, for example, connect the shapes with the connectors at whatever location desired. Further, I would love to see a lighter version of the plugins and direct access to draw.io diagrams in word or adobe.

Artyom
Artyom
Risk Business Analyst in Armenia
Information Technology & Services, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Professional diagramming tool which is completely free

Comments: If you want to create database, diagrams.net is really good choice for you, because it's free and you can create draft of your database structure

Pros:

Diagrams.net is probably the best option for creating diagrams and flowcharts. The biggest advantage of the software is that diagrams.net is completely free.

Cons:

There are compatibility issues with other software. If you don't save your files in different formats, it would be difficult to recover your drafts

Joshua
Infrastructure Engineer in UK
Information Technology & Services, 201–500 Employees

Draw.io made flow chat easily accessible

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Pros:

Easy of use and ability to pick up where you stop. One of the most amazing things is that you can export as a PDF for presentation purposes for free.

Cons:

One of the limitations of draw.io is the lack of accessible to a mobile app.

Thomas
Thomas
Student Assistant in Germany
Information Technology & Services, 51–200 Employees

The to-go tool for small vector graphics

Comments: Once for a project we had to create an UML sequence diagram. We used draw.io for this . It worked great, it looked fantastic. Until we noticed that we forgot some calls so we had to add more boxes and more arrows. We thought that surely we could just drag what we have around a bit without breaking everything but no. Luckily it wasn't very big yet so we started from scratch and did not connect the arrows to the boxes until we were sure everything was stable. There might be a way to stop the arrows from freaking out but we could not find it.

Pros:

I love draw.io . Need a graphic for a presentation or some sort of LaTeX report? Use draw.io, it certainly beats fiddling around with LaTeX to get what you want. It allows you to export in .svg format (vector graphics) which you can scale to any size without loss of quality. Ever tried to increase the size of a .jpg or the like and noticed how horrible it looks? That doesn't happen with vector graphics. It supports so many useful "graph types" out of the box, it's great. If you want to draw a specific kind of diagram/graph it most likely supports that and gives you all the boxes, edges, etc. that you need to make your graph. Aligning your elements is super easy thanks to a wonderful grid system that lets you (among other things) place components perfectly aligned side-by-side or under each other. You can customize virtually anything, size, color, font, font size, anything. Complete control over what you are trying to make. If you need to make a graph or diagram of some kind and there is no tool to make the specific thing you need, just use draw.io. Or, if there is, still use draw.io because it will probably look nicer and give you a lot more option than whatever tool you want to use.

Cons:

The one thing I dislike, I'd say even HATE about draw.io are the arrows. Simple use case: You want to connect two boxes with an arrow. That's simple - except later you notice you don't like the position of the boxes and move them. Now your arrows will most likely try to bend in ways to keep the connection but by doing so they will get horribly bent and look atrocious. This is especially bad if you move multiple boxres.

Director in UK
Telecommunications, 2–10 Employees

A really good software product which can aid multiple departments, not just for technical support.

Comments: This allowed team collaboration quickly, simple and intuitive. I would recommend this to anyone technical that may have to draw charts, diagrams as well as for sales teams to enable quick process flow demonstrations, its a flexible software.

Pros:

The immediate thing that was enjoyed within draw.io is the templates and selection of icons, later I found I could also search the icons with key words, once diagrams are created the arrows and connectors when properly aligned snap in place, say the user was drawing a diagram of a home network with a router connected to a PC, laptop and printer, once the connectors are snapped in place - if the user of the software drags the router to another place the connectors move with it.Now of course if you have linked with straight lines, and in once colour it can end up looking messy, draw.io allows you to change the colours, and edit all elements very easily, so the straight line can be curved. Adding small labels such as text was super quick. The software was really easy to use.It integrated easily into confluence, and the files could be saved and detached to send to other users in email. HR was able to use it to create org charts and whilst sales team was not seen using it to create new items they often requested diagrams and edited them for their own use.

Cons:

What I found tricky to use in draw.io was the page sizing and scaling, it was tricky to see page margins, I also didn't find the control using a mouse easy when editing diagrams, this however is both minor and subjective as my peers made it look very easy, with the exception of page sizing and scaling there is not much to fault with this software.

Mehr
Mehr
Student in Germany
Logistics & Supply Chain, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Best for students for making charts and diagrams and team work

Comments: Diagram.net is a useful and flexible tool for creating diagrams and charts. It is easy to use and has a user-friendly interface, making it a great alternative to Microsoft PowerPoint for creating visual presentations. One of the standout features of diagram.net is its ability to collaborate with a team in real time. This can be especially helpful when working on a shared project or presentation, as it allows multiple people to contribute and make changes to the same diagram simultaneously. Additionally, diagram.net offers a wide range of templates and customization options, allowing users to create professional-looking diagrams with minimal effort. Overall, diagram.net is a valuable tool for anyone looking to create visual content for presentations or team projects.

Pros:

As a university student, I have found diagrams.net to be an incredibly useful tool for my academic work. Not only has it saved me a lot of time and effort when it comes to creating diagrams and charts for my assignments, but it has also proven to be a valuable resource for creating frameworks and mind maps for my research papers and theses.The platform has a wide range of templates and shapes to choose from, which makes it easy to customize my diagrams to fit my specific needs. I also appreciate the ability to collaborate with my classmates and work on projects together in real-time. The platform saves our progress automatically, so we don't have to worry about losing our work.Overall, I highly recommend diagrams.net to any university student who needs to create diagrams or charts for their academic work. It's a great tool that has helped me stay organized and make the most of my team projects.

Cons:

One issue I have encountered with diagrams.net is that it can be difficult to connect lines between shapes. Sometimes the lines don't snap into place as easily as I would like, and I have to spend a lot of time adjusting them to get them to look right.Another issue I have found is that there are not very many options for line designs. While the basic straight and curved lines are fine for some diagrams, it would be nice to have more variety in line styles and thicknesses to choose from.While diagrams.net is generally a user-friendly platform, I have found that it can be a bit slow to load at times. This can be frustrating when I'm trying to work quickly and efficiently.

Matthew
Support and Operations in UK
Government Administration, 1,001–5,000 Employees

A great free visio alternative

Comments: Overall I am impressed with draw.io and though it's not my go to diagram creator, I have it ready to go as a great alternative. If we didn't have Visio already supplied, this would be the program I would use primarily.

Pros:

Draw.io is a surprisingly good diagram creator, that's free. It works very much like Visio and helps create great looking diagrams. The web element makes it very easy to share and view files with colleagues. The fact that you can open visio diagrams and edit, is also very helpful.

Cons:

Though there is an offline version it tends to rely on a web connection which can sometimes be a problem. It has a lot of features but it lacks a little when compared to Visio. It can take a little while to learn your way around the software. You can't complain however due to it being free.

Computer Software, 10,000+ Employees

Draw.io review

Comments: The best app for diagramming it's Draw.io and I would recommend it to anyone who has to do similar diagramming tasks.

Pros:

Draw.io is very intuitive, so anyone with any experience can start to use it from the first day, besides it offers a lot of useful tools that make diagramming tasks pretty fast.

Cons:

I have nothing to complain about Draw.io, so far so good.

Anna
Sr.Product Analyst in Ukraine
Information Technology & Services, 5,001–10,000 Employees

recommending this tool over and over again

Comments: I'm working as business/product analyst and use it for drawing different diagrams and models like bpmn, data flow diagrams, uml diagrams.
I can say draw.io is really powerful, understanding of this tool and knowing all the options come with time and experience, and with the time love for the tool grows .
By simplicity not all can see it powers, and I, honestly , was pretty sceptical in the beginning, but now I cannot imagine doing my work without this tool.

Pros:

I really love this product. It is free, it is easy to use, it has all possible drawing elements for all types of diagrams, it allows to export to device or online storage (google drive), also it allows to share the diagram and collaborate with other people Also I love that it can be integrated with confluence, thank you for this I also like how elements can be easily modified, and I do not need to change the diagram - remove/add a new element, I can change it in the element code description easily.

Cons:

sometimes when I have bpmn elements and move objects, not all arrows are moved together, though as I understand it is more as a feature that I haven't figured out

Andreas
owner in Belgium
Computer Networking, Self Employed

diagrams made with help

Comments: I am all in with digrams.net adjusting your diagrams via web browser and charing options made for all! this tool does more then you want and user friendly as it should

Pros:

this diagram and flowchart software does what others don't.

Cons:

integrations and usability with select directories

Vikash Kumar
Vikash Kumar
Lead Engineer in US
Information Services, 10,000+ Employees

Blown Away

Comments: Never thought a web based product can be so cool

Pros:

Cheap and best web based product Export and import feature is awesome Export in to almost all the format Lots of control to use for, Create flow diagram, Class diagram, Process diagram all are in

Cons:

Dont really have cons but still can add more figures to make it robust

Kiran
SQA Engineer in Pakistan
Computer Software, 51–200 Employees

Draw UML free

Comments: I have used draw.io many times for making ERD diagrams use case diagram and its a great free open source software product which makes ease especially for students and helps them to make their assignments and projects and of course professional people also likes to use that. Overall its great

Pros:

- Its is an open source free diagram software - Number of various Diagrams formats where user can draw its desire diagram (not only simple diagrams but also technical diagrams and as well as engineering diagrams which includes circuit diagrams also) - Lot of colouring options as well that make the diagram attractive and decent looking especially for documentation perspective - option for opening the diagrams from plenty of various cloud platforms is that feature that make ease for the developers or testers - Developer can also embed the diagram and can paste that on any website he/she wants through html generated script - user can also share its diagram through gmail by clicking on share button seems like its a part of google product

Cons:

- Their could be more diagram templates because if we compare it with visual paradigm I believe they have more diagramming templates

Matt
Sr Network Administrator in US
Printing, 501–1,000 Employees

Once you complete a project, you will be hooked

Comments: I have used this product for process flows, network diagrams, and rack diagrams. I love showing these off to coworkers. I have also received praise from sales staff when reviewing a product and can show them key pieces of our environment in minutes when scoping out a product.

Pros:

Price.... I started with free at home and have not been able to recommend the product enough to those around me.

Cons:

I would like to see more options in the rack selections. This is a great feature for quick documentation but if you added a few more vendors of products, a few more accessories, and a rack with front AND back section it could help when documenting some more complex rack setups.

George
Technical Data Analyst in US
Higher Education, 1,001–5,000 Employees

draw.io - Easy way to get your ideas on paper!

Comments: As I previously mentioned, drawio was used to get my ideas down. This can be a diagram to explain current business process or a flow chart as part of a Powerpoint presenttation. I use drawio to get the idea down and paste it into email or another application. I hightly recommend this for people when they need to get their ideas shown visually.

Pros:

I like it that it is very easy to setup and use. To set it up, to to their website, sign in with your google account and start using it. I signed in with my Google account so I can store the drawings on my google drive. Draw.io is also very easy to use. I previously used Visio so this is similar in concept.

Cons:

There not much to not like about this app. It was free and does what I needed. I already started recommending this to my friends.

Computer Software, 5,001–10,000 Employees

Draw IO Covers All Your Needs For Drawing UML Diagrams

Comments: I believe the greatest benefit of working with draw.io is its collaboration feature. Several engineers can work on the same design which makes it better than other similar products.

Pros:

I use Draw.io for drawing UML diagrams. I love that it has specific tools for UML diagrams. You can get used to the UI in under 10 minutes. Very simple, clean and intuitive design. You can export it in multiple formats which saves you the hassle of finding another product to convert your document. It also works with Google Drive/Github/various other clouds which makes storing and retrieving files very easy. It has great library of icons and templates. If you're looking for something in particular, it's probably in there. You can group and tag objects, which makes managing the diagram easier if you are working on a crowded set.

Cons:

Managing the arrows can get tricky. It could benefit from improvement. While it's great, there is definitely room for improvement. They could add 3-D features, image manipulation, support some additional plug-ins.

Tomasz
Network Engineer in Poland
Information Technology & Services, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Perfect for quick diagram sketches

Pros:

My favorite thing about diagrams.net is how quickly you can start drawing. Using the web interface I can create simple, good looking diagrams in minutes.

Cons:

I don't like the style of the basic web shapes and think diagrams.net needs more customization options if used for drawing a network maps.

lee
Visualisation Lead in UK
Hospital & Health Care, 11–50 Employees

How did i ever cope before finding diagrams.net

Comments: my overall experience with diagrams is that i cannot ever imagine going back to doing this manually or using any other software for the job. it integrates with google accounts so well and the google drive. this is a game changer and made my life so much easier. awesome piece of software

Pros:

before i stumbled upon this software i used to spend hours and hours trying to pull fancy powerpoint slides together for flow maps, flow diagrams and general infrastructure designs. not only was this slow and tedious but had to try and create all the designs and processes myself. once i found diagrams well this was a game changer, everything happens faster, and can even link process in different tabs. then by exporting and saving its all built out. the drag and drop features are incredible, this has made my life and diagram building so much easier to use.

Cons:

none yet! this soiftware is literally so easy to use, has so many templates and features i am struggling to find a bad word to say about it

Selen Karoline
Selen Karoline
Laboratory Technologist in Brazil
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 51–200 Employees

Superb diagram tool

Comments: It is one of the best free diagramming tools I have ever used. It is free of charge and can be used with real-time collaboration with no fuss. It is unlimited, so you can draw diagrams as much as you'd like.

Pros:

The best thing is that it is free, unlike other diagramming tools that offer limited diagrams in its free versions. draw.io can be integrated with Google Drive so you don't have to worry about backing up files, if connected to Google drive, it enables real-time collaboration.

Cons:

If you are used to other diagramming tools, you will find draw.io a little bit more complicated, in addition to that there are not so many diagram templates and shapes provided out-of-box.