15 years helping Irish businesses

About OneDrive

Microsoft OneDrive is a web-based digital asset management solution that allows businesses of all sizes to efficiently manage, collabo

Learn more about OneDrive

Pros:

Feature that a very useful from this software is the ability to flawlessly integrated with my computer operating system.

Cons:

There tends to be more spam associated with OneDrive, occasionally I will receive an email from someone I corresponded with that appears to have a one drive attachment but is actually spam.

OneDrive ratings

4.2

8.3/10

OneDrive has an overall rating of 4.5 out 5 stars based on 11,974 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used OneDrive before?

Filter reviews (11,974)

Ashlee
Ashlee
Customer Support Specialist in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 51–200 Employees

My Favorite Photo Management App!

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: OneDrive is a great option for people on a budget, as its free version is sufficient for many users. It has a photo tagging system that makes searching through your gallery much faster and more efficient. Additionally, it allows you to create your own photo albums for better organization.

Pros:

OneDrive offers a free option for anyone with a Microsoft, Hotmail, or Outlook account. The free version allows you to store up to 2,500 photos, which is more than enough storage for me. You can increase that amount by purchasing a subscription. OneDrive also allows you to tag photos based on location, a person's name, holiday, season, date, and more, enabling you to quickly search for those photos by their tags in the future. This is my favorite feature!

Cons:

I find that their subscription prices are slightly higher than others I have seen.

Katie
Director of Finance and Operations in US
Fund-Raising, 11–50 Employees

Secure and User Friendly

4.0 3 weeks ago New

Pros:

OneDrive is very user friendly and easy to deploy.

Cons:

It is difficult to know when you are not signed in to OneDrive. We have a company setting that you are automatically logged in when you start your laptop; however, that grey cloud appears and you may lose your work.

Cynthia
Community Manager in US
Real Estate, 2–10 Employees

NO, please. Just no.

3.0 2 months ago New

Comments: IT was an utter nightmare. I was never assigned a company Microsoft email addy so I was told to sign in using my existing hotmail account from 1997. Big Mistake. Somehow my personal files ended up on the main company drive, and some were LOST when I was pruned from the company account. I do not recall giving OneDrive permission to merge my stuff with the company's but whatevs. To this day I have issues logging into my 25 year old hotmail account, which I keep for throwaway emails and such. Also, it downloaded the entire OneDrive account onto my Macbook Pro and caused glitches, crashes, and other weirdness that only went away when I wiped the machine and started over. OneDrive is just too complicated for small business.

Pros:

I liked how it was easy to share docs and digital assets. It's a good platform for Enterprise.

Cons:

There was never any way to know if you were working on the latest version of a doc or asset. So many times we'd end up with ten different copies and no way to know which was the "official" doc bc everyone edited their own copy and not a master copy. Caused a lot of problems, hurt feelings, and needless reprimands.

Claude Real
Business analyst and graphic designer in Canada
Graphic Design, Self Employed

Great cloud storage but lacks storage capacity

Comments: Overall my experience with OneDrive is great and I would definitely recommend for people with low storage needs, but if someone needs more storage capacities, Apple iCloud and Google Drive offers more options on storage capacities.

Pros:

OneDrive is a wonderful cloud storage option. Its security is strong and you can easily manage the permissions on your contents. Also it integrates very great with all Microsoft softwares and devices, even on Android, iOS and MacOS.

Cons:

OneDrive is limited to a maximum of 1TB storage capacity, therefore if you're a graphic designer or someone working with other graphic content like me, you'll find that capacity very low and will probably have to look for other cloud storage option like I did. Also, if like me you have to use linux on occasion you will find very anoying to be forced to go to OneDrive via the web browser because Microsoft still refuses to create a linux version of OneDrive Desktop.

Scott
Accounting Manager in US
Computer Software, 501–1,000 Employees

OneDrive works

4.0 last month New

Pros:

It definitely works. There are better options out there for similar price, but it gets the job done.

Cons:

Some searches don't yield the correct results. Overall though you can find most things you are searching for.

Desiree
Customer service representative in US
Insurance, 11–50 Employees

Best filesharing app made

5.0 last month New

Comments: Very, very good. I recommend this product to everybody.

Pros:

The file sharing is very efficient for remote work and it helps me organize all of my files in one spot.

Cons:

There's nothing I don't like about OneDrive. It is a very efficient product.

Education Management, 11–50 Employees

Good option to manage files in the cloud

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: It's our main solution for file storage and sharing. The great thing is that the files are available over multiple devices, you can easily share with other colleagues, have shared folders with different teams, and even share with external partners. This allows me not to worry about the files anymore, as I can be sure that I always have the latest version. Another great thing is that you can choose which files are saved locally so you can for example access these files from mobile only when you need them, while they are always synced on the desktop.

Pros:

The space you get with the account is a good value for the price of the subscription to 365. OneDrive makes it easy to set it up on the computer, use as a regular windows folder and forget it's even running, while everything is synced to the cloud. The Autosave integraton with Office files that allows you to have the file autosaved every couple of minutes is also great since you don't need to worry anymore that you will lose some of the work you've done. And if you need, you can also restore some of the previous versions easily, which is really helpful.

Cons:

The app has sometimes had hickupps - it stops syncing, needs restart, etc. However, this has happened less and less in the past year or two, so they've probably found a way to fix this now.

Hospital & Health Care, 501–1,000 Employees

Great Cloud Storage

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Pros:

The biggest perk of OneDrive is if you have two work computers then you can log in and work on your computer at the office and then you can log in on your laptop and resume editing your document. Another great perk is if you get a new laptop the transition is seamless if you are using one drive. No need to manually transfer files or anything.

Cons:

Syncing can be delayed especially if you have a lot of files being updated

Whitney
Instructor in US
Education Management, 2–10 Employees

Work From Anywhere!

4.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: Overall, OneDrive is an essential product as a hybrid employee and as a part of a team that shares files from multiple locations.

Pros:

The ability to access my files from any device.

Cons:

I experience syncing sometimes which leads to missing files, or multiple copies of files.

Mark
Mark
IT Coordinator in US
Education Management, 51–200 Employees

Great for Small Businesses

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Overall a positive experience and easy to use in a small corporation.

Pros:

Ease of set-up and full integration with Windows OS.

Cons:

Management and clean up can get tricky if End Users are aware of how things flow.

Editor and Designer in US
Publishing, 2–10 Employees

So far...so great!

Comments: Overall, my experience with OneDrive has been overwhelmingly positive. It's simple to map OneDrive to your local desktop (simply clicking "Sync" from the OneDrive dashboard is all it takes). This enables you to work on files directly from your desktop rather than going out to the OneDrive site. It's super-convenient and saves us tons of time.

Pros:

We decided to try OneDrive by Microsoft for our file management needs after using SharePoint for over a decade. One of the main reasons we did not want to change is, frankly, change is hard. Or can be. It's easy to stick with what you are used to, and there is always the concern of placing additional stress on staff by having them learn something new. However, it has been a smooth transition and so far is going great. OneDrive, in my estimation, is far superior to SharePoint for file management. Here's why: When you store files on OneDrive, you can easily open and edit them. You can edit them in the cloud or open and work on them from your desktop software if you feel more comfortable working this way. Regardless of how you choose to do it, your work is instantly saved as you go. There is no document check-out process. Multiple users can update the same file simultaneously. It's quite remarkable how easy it is to use OneDrive and just how powerful it is. As you become more familiar with it, you'll no doubt want to set up various sites within your account to manage specific content. For example, we have a Content site, a Marketing site, and a Finance site. It's easy to assign access to employees as needed. This helps ensure that only those who should be working in a particular site have access to that site. As stated, we are still learning all of the bells and whistles, but so far it has been a fantastic transition.

Cons:

So far, there is nothing to dislike about OneDrive. The interface is easy to use and follow. Compared to SharePoint for file management, it's a breeze. Simple to open a file and start working. Easy to review changes that have been made. Real-time saving means no need to worry if your browser crashes or you lose internet access.

Jonathan
VP Technology in US
Real Estate, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Microsoft One Drive

Comments: Works very well as a standard personal cloud file management tool for both personal use and business use. Lacking many advanced options found in Google/Box for public file sharing.
Works well with eDiscovery and other legal and compliance tools
Has improved greatly over time with real-time collaboration and automatic saving
Simple to implement and rollout as it is native with MS Office
Continue to grow its footprint in my current company as an alternative to File Shares

Pros:

Industry standard software works natively with MS Office Allows sharing and collaboration of files with anyone and anywhere Simple to use and and administer Compliant for regulations and easily searchable/discoverable

Cons:

Sharing options are very limited for outside users and difficult to control once in the wild Administration is not robust, still old style Security is lacking especially for the uninitiated Plays well with MS not so well with other tools

Nural
Nural
Student in Hungary
Education Management, 1,001–5,000 Employees

The best cloud for saving files for windows users

Comments: I am using office applications very frequently and I need to keep the files in some place that I can access them whenever I want, this tool is very useful for me. Another cool thing is that I can share the files with my friends and many people can work on one file at the same time.

Pros:

This product is developed by Microsoft and it comes in Microsoft Office bundle, first times I thought it is not that much useful application. However, afterwards I have started to use office applications I saw that how useful this application is. Firstly it is integrated with Microsoft Office applications, and you can keep all your files on the drive, it also can be integrated with your email and you can share files through drive if they are not not shareable through email. Another good side of this application is that it is available on all platforms and you can use it for sharing the files between devices.

Cons:

I have some concerns regarding use the application on my PC, the problem is that it always running on the background and since my laptop is a bit slower it downs the performance. When I turn of it my windows protection gives error. Rather than this, I do not have any problems with this application.

Paul
Paul
Nurse in Malawi
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 501–1,000 Employees

Easy, safe and secure way to keep files

Comments: OneDrive has saved me on both crucial, personal and office scenarios. I can recommend it among the free cloud-based storage apps

Pros:

OneDrive has saved me in many ways and I rank it among life saving apps I have used. One awesome part of one note is that you can set it to automatically sync all your photos whenever you're connected to WiFi. One day, my phone misbehaved after taking nice photos on a trip. I was forced to format it, erasing everything but worried about my photos, only to discover that they were all safe on OneDrive, kept and categorized nicely in a beautiful order. One other superiority of OneDrive over other cloud storages is the password protection. You don't need to worry about privacy. There is also a very good graphic and user interface for the folders and file manager. It increases your motivation to use the app. OneDrive also shows you the file extention, apart from showing you the thumbnail of your file. Most cloud storage apps don't do that. With OneDrive, you can choose files to work with offline, and it works, even without data connection. Despite all this, OneDrive has a very satisfying operation speed and everyone knows that it's hard to have an app with Excellency in both UI and speed at the same time.

Cons:

Honestly, I have no problems with OneDrive. I would worry about free space but 5gb would be enough free space to a non-paying user.

Amy
Co-owner in US
Nonprofit Organisation Management, 2–10 Employees

Perfect cloud storage for home and business

Comments: I've used OneDrive for several years now and have converted several people onto it as well. If you are a Microsoft user, it's a no-brainer to use this to safely save anything and everything you'll need. I have tons of personal and professional files stored in OneDrive and I never have to worry about losing files again. Its been very easy to organize and access my files from anywhere, but even if you aren't organized, their search function is great. I use this at least 10 times a day. It's quick, easy, and helps to ease my mind that everything from my business financial files to baby photos of my children are secure and will never be lost.

Pros:

I'm a lifelong PC user and a small business owner. I love being able to have my personal and professional files safe and easily accessible from any device I'm using (phone, tablet, laptop). With my Office 365 subscription, I can also add my business partner and kids to my OneDrive account so that all of our documents, photos, and links are available to whoever needs them. It's also easy to upload, organize, and share files and links.

Cons:

I use OneDrive to store and backup all my documents and I love it. My only issue has nothing to do with OneDrive itself, but rather that some of my clients prefer to use Google Drive because it's free and they don't need a paid account to have a shared cloud drive. Because of this, I often have to use both drives. However, because I trust OneDrive, I always save everything there first before uploading a copy onto Google Drive.

Norzihan
Norzihan
Recruiter in Malaysia
Telecommunications, 5,001–10,000 Employees

Good option for cloud storage

Comments: I really like using cloud storage service because the easy access to my files and data, also can be protected with password for sharing purpose. The uploading and downloading speed is pretty fast depending to my internet connection stability. Overall, it has a good value for money spend here.

Pros:

Working with OneDrive with Microsoft Office 365 is really amazing as i can saves my Office document directly to my OneDrive cloud folder without having to save it manually on the OneDrive platform. This software has its own application for mobile and computer that is working on the background, and it will automatically save a backup file for all the new file saves on my computer.

Cons:

There are no option to recovering for older version that has been updated/overwritten for my file and document. The premium plan should include this option as the premium plan has much larger cloud space that can hold or archiving the old document easily.

Javier
Entertainer / Podcaster in Costa Rica
Entertainment, Self Employed

One Drive Review from an Apple user

Comments: I have been a user for about 3 years since I subscribed to a family plan. The overall experience has been great considering I'm a Mac / iPhone user.
I don't use One Drive as a main computer backup / Sync but mostly to upload backups of large files (I'm a video editor) so I use the website directly. I do have all my Word, Excel , Powerpoint files in One Drive and some of them in collaboration / sharing with my life partner. I use the desktop apps of each one of them.
The 365 family plan is a no brainer if you're living with someone who's benefited with tools like Office and needs a good and reliable storage with great security and encryption. Mobile apps are great too and with awesome integration with Apple / Google apps.

Pros:

The fact that it's included in the whole Microsoft package make it a very complete and an atractive option for data / files storage while still using the basic Office Tools. The encryption security is very strong too

Cons:

Sometimes it crashes, specially when you access it from the website. It also fails to reproduce some media files from the website. You have to download them.

Rex
Lead Pastor in US
Religious Institutions, 2–10 Employees

Very impressive cloud storage

Comments: We use every day for our staff to have cloud storage for all of our documents, and we can share files back and forth with ease. OneDrive lets us work from most anywhere.

Pros:

I love that OneDrive is rock solid and very easy to use. Also, unlike Google, Microsoft keeps products around. Instead of dropping applications and products, they simply update and upgrade them.

Cons:

Sometimes the app will fail to load or take a while to sync on MacOS, but for the most part it’s super solid.

Turan
IT Expert in Türkiye
Automotive, 501–1,000 Employees

OneDrive for Storage, Sharing, Access, Security

Comments: It is very simple to use and set up. Since it is under MS 365, it improves business processes at a reasonable level thanks to its easy distribution and licensing feature. It provides freedom to users and provides cost advantage by minimizing hardware needs.

Pros:

Before we met OneDrive, we had to manage and implement many processes for copying, storing, and accessing our data and some of our files in a secure environment. moreover, we had to do this separately for each user. After activating OneDrive, we can store our data by moving it here, authorize it, control it remotely, and work at the same time. It provides us with the area we need for all these processes. Moreover, many features are available under a single program.* Possibility to work locally or remotely* 1TB of space for backup* Data security and file sharing* User privileges and access permissions* Ability to work on PC or Online Browser* Synchronization feature* Mobile, Android, MacOS or PC platform supportThanks to it, it can be used safely in any environment.

Cons:

There may be some slowdowns in the synchronization of very large data depending on your internet connection.

Jhonnathan
Jhonnathan
Freelancer in Venezuela
Internet, 201–500 Employees

Keep your lost files safe with OneDrive!

Comments: I sincerely owe all my files from many years ago to OneDrive. I work in the area of digital creation and it is very useful to have all our important documents such as fonts and backup images and portfolios within reach. The trade sometimes causes us to be exposed to viruses, but OneDrive is a very useful and versatile tool to protect us and optimize our work at the same time.

Pros:

OneDrive offers an easy and convenient way to keep your files safe. It's important to know its functionality. The program creates a folder on your computer and everything inside this folder and will copy to your cloud, staying safe from any system failure. In the past, I had several computers that I lost due to hardware failure, but thanks to the fact that I always kept my folder updated and with the important files included in it I was able to quickly recover everything by simply installing OneDrive again and waiting for a quick update. Another thing that I found very useful is that you can access your folder from anywhere. Being on the road and with an internet connection you can connect and download and upload files to your secure folder, this is very useful in some cases! Because it doesn't require your computer to be turned on.

Cons:

As I work with many files, and in spite of being organized, due to human error some documents can be left out of OneDrive, perhaps in everyday folders. This causes any file not included in the folder created by OneDrive to be forgotten if a system crash or virus attack occurs. Files in the cloud are sectioned to prevent hidden viruses from spreading and damaging others, but if one file is attacked inside the OneDrive folder it will send this to the cloud which means we will lose the file. So containing documents, files or anything inside this folder does not guarantee its security. It only guarantees that we will be able to recover them anytime, anywhere.

Internet, 2–10 Employees

OneDrive is a good storage solution, but not the best.

Comments: Good cloud storage for Windows and Office users. Not a smooth experience for Mac users.

Pros:

It's probably the best cloud storage for Windows users, because of its integration with the operating system and the Office 365 suite. For a Mac user the road is not that smooth. See the cons mentioned below. Most of the time it works well, with occasional mess-ups. With a paid account you get 1 TB of storage which is more than enough for the average user. You can access your files from anywhere, be it a laptop, a desktop machine, a tablet or your phone (even for iOS users) which makes it very versatile. It's also very good for backups in case of hard drive failure because your files are always in the cloud and you have local copy on your device in a folder named "OneDrive".

Cons:

As a Mac only user, I've had some issues with using OneDrive that made it difficult to work with, without putting an effort: 1. Being a Microsoft product, it's made for Windows files and file systems rather than a more universal approach like Dropbox has. The first time I've added files to OneDrive, I had 150+ errors that needed to be fixed. They were all file naming errors that OneDrive wouldn't support (because of the different character support between Windows files and Mac files). 2. After having 150+ errors, I tried to fix each one manually by going into Finder and renaming the files. The only problem with this is that I could only see a limited number of individual issues from the total number. The OneDrive widget doesn't allow you to see all errors, just the last 20 or so. While I was fixing some of them, the error dialog wouldn't refresh immediately, making it hard to confirm that I was doing the right thing. Eventually I deleted everything and started moving small chunks of files to have less errors to handle at one time. This worked out well in the end and everything is good now. 3. There is also a file limit of 10GB which, depending on your work might be an issue.

Rebecca
Rebecca
Advisor in US
Market Research, 11–50 Employees

Ideal for Collaborative Documents

Comments: Overall, our experience with OneDrive has been positive and exciting. Despite a few technological difficulties when we were first getting started, we feel it is one tool that is here to stay. We use it the most for report writing, which used to consist of each researcher building out their section of the PowerPoint deck and then combining them into one file at the end. There are many problems with this, such as inconsistent formatting and design, varying voice and tone, or duplication of findings or data. This old process required a day's worth of work to combine all files into one and clean up all of the mess. With OneDrive, we still have our own sections of the report to write, but now we can work simultaneously in the same document, saving time, increasing quality, and encouraging more collaboration among the team.

Pros:

My favorite OneDrive feature is its integration into the Microsoft Office suite — the ability to share and collaborate with colleagues on documents in Word, data sets in Excel, research reports in PowerPoint, and meeting notes in OneNote, has completely changed the way our research team executes a project. And when we are chatting back and forth in Microsoft Teams, we are able to share OneDrive files directly through the chat window. This suite-wide integration saves A LOT of time, and ensures our final product is the best rendition of our work — from the proposal, to the survey questionnaire, to the survey data, to the final report, we no longer worry about someone's contribution getting lost among the endless file versions that we used to circle back and forth via email until the report was complete.

Cons:

My least favorite thing about OneDrive is not always knowing where the files I've shared to OneDrive "live." I have a OneDrive folder in my Mac's Finder and the OneDrive Desktop App, but often times I have to go to the OneDrive website to locate my shared files. A few colleagues have dealt with this same frustration — saving files to OneDrive is completely simple, but then where do they go? We are hoping our upcoming OneDrive training session will help alleviate this.

Education Management, Self Employed

OneDrive for university student

Comments: Overall the application is quite useful and I recommend any one who need ICloud facility on Windows,Try on Microsoft OneDrive.It will serve you very well as ICloud on Apple computers.

Pros:

Microsoft OneDrive is a cloud storage service which provided by Microsoft to any user who has Microsoft email account.As a ICloud for Mac,I was needed a cloud storage to my Windows PC.I was needed a cloud storage which can automatically upload my studding documents to a cloud storage and giving the accessibility to my documents by from any device which I use.Because I can not carry my desktop computer any ware and every studding notes or lecture slides which I put it on my laptop must need to be in my desktop when I come home.For a apple Mac user no need to have this problem because they have ICloud and anything you put on MacBook it will be on your Mac computer in home.As a Windows user for this problem I could able to find a solution which is OneDrive.It automatically backups my documents on any windows computer which I logged on my windows email to my cloud storage and there for I am able to access my study notes and lecture slide from my any computer.It is very helpful to me and OneDrive is the one of my favorite software which installed on my every windows computer.

Cons:

I like OneDrive so much because its service is speechless as a windows user.But my main cloud storage is Google Drive because it supply me much more services than OneDrive.The all services which provided by Google like Gmail, GoogleDocs are interconnected with my GoogleDrive there for it is much easier and useful to use as my main cloud storage.I do not use other services which provide by windows therefor I has no need to use OneDrive as my main cloud storage.The reason which I do not use the services provide by windows because those services are not very familiar with others and lot of other people does not use windows providing services.Lot of peoples are using Google providing services so it much easier to use those.I hope those services provide by windows will get familiar with others and after that I do not need to use two cloud storage and definitely I choose Microsoft OneDrive.

Kim
Educator in Philippines
Education Management, 10,000+ Employees

OneDrive of a Kind

Comments: Describing an overall experience with OneDrive only takes a single statement--I'm with OneDrive of a kind!

Pros:

Security. Accessibility. Interface. These three things are the most likeable features of OneDrive that sets it apart from other cloud storages. Its ability to define the "shared by you" and "share with you" makes it secure to track the files casted here and there. It also allows users to track the exact time and exact action taken by the modifier of the file---guest of contributor. Its files are formatted just how documents are formatted in our personal computers' Documents folders. Hence, accessible and easy to understand. Its desktop application version is lovely! So lovely that you could actually think that it's just a normal folder in your pc. And finally, the interface! For a user with tons of files to manage, a clean, minimalist, and sleek interface is very important for me. A well-sorted and neat arrangement of my files that are easily accessible saves me more time to focus on my work rather than sorting my files every now and then. All I say is, this software is 'OneDrive of a kind.'

Cons:

Finding out how my OneDrive desktop application's files take space in my hard disk somehow saddened me although I managed to deal with it by just choosing "free up space". This lessens the consumed space in the disk and gives you the option to just download the file whenever needed. But if there is one thing I wish to improve in this software, it would be to totally detached it from the disk space although the app is really actually installed in the pc itself.

Research, 10,000+ Employees

A cloud storage application from Microsoft

Comments: I have Office 365 from my employee and I use OneDrive as part of it. I love that I can created word, powerpoint and excel files in my browser, and that I can open all the files immediately. It is also possible to create links as separate files, which is convenient. But my best finding in OneDrive is OneNote, it is well-made and super useful. It is my new must-have application. I should also say that sharing feature does not work always properly in OneDrive due to some security reasons. Even my colleagues cannot always open my shared files.

Pros:

Basically, OneDrive is very similar to other cloud storages as Dropbox, GoogleDrive and others. It is multiplatform, has options of "make available offline", "camera upload" and so on. There is also a personal Vault, which could be useful. It is convenient if you use other Microsoft products like Outlook, online Word , online Excel. If you have a business version from your work (for example, Office 365), it might be even more convenient to keep all emails, work files and calendar together.

Cons:

But when you deal with Microsoft, you get a lot of complications. Too many options, too many details, too much information, too many security limitations, you just get lost. Therefore, I would recommend to use OneDrive as a stand-alone storage, especially if you have an outlook email (although I personally prefer Dropbox and GoogleDrive). If you need some combination of storage and word / excel applications, then I definitely recommend to go to GoogleDrive. If you have something like Office 365 from your work, enjoy a lot of possibilities and expect it to be slower and harder manipulate.