• Overall
    4.2/5
    4.3/5
    3.7/5

About eM Client

eM Client is a full featured e-mail client with a modern and easy to use interface. eM Client offers calendar, tasks, contacts and chat

Learn more about eM Client

Ben W.
Graphic and Web Designer
  • Reviewed on 27/3/2018

"With a fresh, clean look, this email client is the best I've used in a long time!"

Comments: eM Client has proved to be much more efficient by eliminating the chaos and stress of an unorganized email collection. It is so much easier to manage emails when they look good!

Pros: The clean and simple user interface makes it easier than ever to maintain an organized email system. When viewing an email, eM Client has a handy Contact Details sidebar with other emails between you and that contact allowing you to refer back to past conversations without flipping back and forth through the inbox and sent folders. It also has the ability to keep conversations stacked in the same list item similar to how text messages are organized on a smartphone. This was a huge selling point for me as I often get lost easily between complicated email threads in other clients. Another huge bonus that makes eM Client a favorite of mine is the amount of options you have to play with. Some users might find this overwhelming or confusing but I'm a huge fan of the ability to change things like the theme, font, font size and spacing, which buttons to display, etc.

Cons: Having transferred from Mozilla Thunderbird, there are still a few quirks like how it sorts Junk mail and the fact that I have two inherited junk folders and it's unclear which is being used for what. There also doesn't seem to be an automatic junk filter like other clients have but, on the other hand, this means I never miss anything due to the client marking it as spam and never to be seen again. In the detailed email list view (multiple columns), you have the ability to change which columns are visible and in which order, etc. However, this only effects the current folder and all other folders have to be adjusted independently. It would be nice if similar folder types shared the same column views to be consistent across all folders. As far as sorting goes, you have the option to flag emails or apply a color-coded category. When a category is applied, you have the option to make the text of the email change to the color of the category but when the email is active or highlighted, the color changes to the default black making it impossible to know what category the email falls under while you are viewing it. In my opinion, this almost defeats the purpose of categorizing email conversations since you are unable to search via category.

• Reviewed on 27/3/2018
John W.
Co-owner / Operator
Retail, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 12/10/2019

"Good basic email client program (used with MS Outlook Live)"

Comments: It's super-easy to setup, works well and has a clean interface. The developers keep it updated. It does all the simple things we need an email and calender/scheduling client to do.

Pros: It's simple and the free version is good for our purposes. It is so much easier than having to log into MS Outlook everytime I want to check email. Between my wife and my self we have 4 online freemail Outlook accounts. One of them is for our business which is the most important and highly used. We have a quick and easy view of all for accounts in on window. You can prioritize accounts since uou may want to be notified for some accounts over others when email arrives. Integration is solid with Outlook Live.

Cons: Sometimes the program does not update right away when opening. There are also time you have to click on the folder to see how many emails are in it. It should show this automatically without having to do anyhting. I'm not sure if this is how it operates for everyone or if it's my particular setup. I also wish they had more themes for the free version but this is hardly a big issue.

• Reviewed on 12/10/2019
David I.
Partner
Management Consulting, Self Employed

"Great e-mail option"

Comments: My overall experience is very positive and I anticipate that I wil continue to use eM Client for the foreseeable future

Pros: The software is easy to install and generally easy to use. It has a few quirks, but once you get used to those, it is very good.

Cons: The software has a habit of backing up, usually when I need to use it, which can be frustrating. It also has a habit of creating an error when it closes, not only when it is closed because for example the laptop crashes, but also when it is closed down properly. This results in a need to check and validate the database. Whilst I have not yet lost any data, the checking is problematic if I am in a rush and for example only turned on the laptop to do a quick e-mail.

Hi David,

Thank you for your review. Did you contact our support regarding the closing problems? Our tech staff answers to every email/ticket they get so if you write to us at [email protected] we can help you to resolve the problem.

Harold M.
Computer & Network Security, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 20/5/2019

"Not recommended"

Comments: Again, I like the concept and the thought behind the product but would consider it too unstable for business use. The good thing is that the repair process works, the bad is that you have to do it so often. For a product that has so many nice features for efficiency, to have the conversation thread backwards so that for each email you have to page down to find the last response is hard to understand why they did that. They seem to be confused between a texting program that shows the most recent at the bottom (but also opens at the bottom so the most recent is where it opens) and an email client where the most recent is normally at the top so you see the response immediately.
These items make this program an also run that I will be keeping an eye on because I really like the design and if they get them resolved then it will be one of my favorites. But still cannot be recommended at this time.

Pros: The concept and design of the program is excellent. At least in theory it is well thought out and has several useful features. I particularly like the ability to click on an email and see on the right side the contact information as well as every email to and from that person as well as every attachment sent and received. This is a huge feature for me. The ability to quickly generate a task from an email or create a calendar event is also really nice. Unlike some other reviewers, I found the tech support to be reasonable. Then again, I am a computer expert and provide expert testimony on computer systems and software for court purposes and so had very few issues with setup.

Cons: Although I like the design of the software, I could never recommend it for use in a business. I view it more as a curiosity for personal use. The primary reason is that in the five weeks I have used the software there have been multiple instances of being unable to read email or the software attempted to display an attachment inline and so it just looked like garbage. Each time I contacted tech support and the fix was the same... either rebuild the software account or delete it and create it again. Luckily I was using IMAP so it was not an issue deleting and recreating the accounts. So, I used it five weeks and rebuilt or deleted and recreated email accounts seven times. This is a big issue. Another problem is the very strange an unusual way they display an email conversation. I wrote to tech support about this and they indicated that it is the way it is supposed to work and the way that all email clients work. Uh, no. I have not seen any other email client that displays your email conversation starting with the oldest email and continuing down to the most recent. I understand that is the way a conversation occurs and you can read it from the beginning to the end but in reality I do not know anyone who wants to open their email and page down multiple times to find the person's response. I want to see the response when I open the email. If I need to see the prior email they are responding to then I will scroll down and see that one.

• Reviewed on 20/5/2019
Derek S.
Sales Manager
Automotive, 13-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 5/9/2019

"Great option for a next-level email client"

Comments: I've used eM Client for the past few years and have been overall happy. That said, there have been frustrating moments with support and I really hope they fix the current print glitch mentioned above.

Pros: The main reason I use eM Client is the speed of the search. My job has me constantly searching a large database of emails and it's imperative that I find them quickly. When put side by side with Thunderbird, it absolutely dominates in search presentation and speed.

Cons: The most recent update has made it so that when I print emails, another daily task, eM Client always opens the system print dialog box despite that box not being checked. This takes a considerable amount of extra time with the number of emails I print. I opened a ticket but wasn't very happy with the reply which suggested that I move to a previous version which carried the risk of losing my fine tuned settings and more. In addition, for most users without search needs, I don't feel it's significantly better than Thunderbird so it may be hard to justify the cost.

Hi Derek,

Thank you for your review. We are aware of the print issue and have resolved it internally so we'll release an update fixing the problem soon. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Dominik C.
Entertainment, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 19/2/2020

"very good, with one huge problem"

Comments: perfect with one propblem, like above.

Pros: rules, view's, graphics, basicly, everyfhing was as I wanted and work with this tool was always easy to find etc.

Cons: problem was , the software always was loosing some catalogs with emails and later it was download them again. mails, never was fully downloaded. and sometimes, from last several hours , only some emails was downloaded. others I was need to restart software or get emails by www.
support neber solve this problem.
maybe it was too many email (overt 100k on my account), but not supose to be, there is no limit.

• Reviewed on 19/2/2020
Jonathan S.
Director of Corporate Relations
Nonprofit Organisation Management, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 5/9/2019

"Good solution for managing complex, integrated email communications"

Comments: I have found eM Client to be the perfect solution for my needs. I am able to access my saved messages and folders without having to pull them from the cloud. This is huge. Also I find the email interface to be much more user friendly than any of the cloud-based services. Finally, on the original setup, I migrated from Thunderbird and the entire experience was incredibly smooth and easy. This was a big plus as I was getting started.

Pros: This software allows me to manage 3 or more email identities from a single platform. It allows me to organize my saved messages for easy retrieval and long-term record-keeping. It allows me to search and quickly find past messages.

Cons: When Windows reboots the system automatically following an update, if emClient is running, the software has been vulnerable to corruption, and the process of checking and rebuilding the database can be cumbersome. This problem has improved over time, but the program remains vulnerable to sudden shut-downs.

Sergio O.
Sales
International Trade & Development, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 4/8/2019

"My preferred email client for desktop"

Comments: I'm very happy with emclient. It's the only desktop platform I found that made me change from browser mail platform to desktop platform again.

Pros: It's the best email client I could find. It's clean, simple, easy to use, full of features included. Feels clean and smooth to use. I can use many email accounts in the same platform as if they were just one.

Cons: Nothing at all. I like all aspects of the browser, I can't tell of something I don't like by now. Maybe an option to send recurrent emails would be great, and even greater: an option to automate follow up emails until a reply is received.

• Reviewed on 4/8/2019
Ted M.
Realtor
Real Estate, Self Employed

"Former Outlook User"

Comments: It fulfills my daily email needs for my business and personal correspondence. I have 4 regularly used email addresses through which I correspond.

Pros: It was mostly familiar in design to what I previously used. I was used to a email client that allowed me to have a large, nested, easily accessible filing system for correspondence.

Cons: I get error messages at times regarding my movement of filed correspondence within the application. I don't know how to correct the problem. Thus, I receive repeated error messages.
Also, when replacing my old tablet computer with a new one, the process for getting the "PRO" version on my new machine was not as clearly defined as I would have liked. I succeeded with Stepan Busek's help.

Hi Ted,

Thank you for your review. Did you contact our support regarding the connection problems? Our tech staff answers to every email/ticket they get so if you write to us at [email protected] we can help you to resolve the problem.

Stefan B.
Leader
Building Materials, 13-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 5/9/2019

"my daily and single mailing software"

Comments: only the point of update or restart by problems and the support possibilities

Pros: function, optic, it´s very quick, safe

Cons: updates, help

Amy M.
Deal Administrator
Real Estate, 13-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 30/9/2019

"EM Client is amazing"

Comments: Started using it a few years ago with the free version but loved it so much that I decided to buy the license. I recommend it to everyone over Outlook because it's much faster and easier to use.

Pros: I love that this program is so user friendly. It's essentially the best desktop mail client I've ever used. Easy to navigate, easy to organise and super easy to personalise which is a great feature.

Cons: I'm pretty disappointed that with one of the more recent updates EM Client got rid of Frozen Smart Folders. That was actually one of my favourite features. I use so many folders so that really helped me make the decision to switch from Outlook and when they took that away I considered going back. With the most recent update I am no longer able to save jpg/jpegs from the email which I depend on a lot.

• Reviewed on 30/9/2019
Ben W.
Graphic Designer
E-Learning, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 10/9/2019

"Easy-to-use alternative to Thunderbird with a much better user interface"

Comments: Overall I have enjoyed my experience with eM Client much more than that with Outlook (obviously) and Thunderbird. I haven't had to recover an automatic backup but it's assuring to know I'll always have a backup ready when my computer inevitably dies.

Pros: The simple and clean UI helps me focus on priority emails while staying organized and efficient. The Conversations feature really helps to keep interactions simple and straightforward. The amount of options available is very refreshing, especially for someone as detail-oriented as I am.

Cons: When emails are displayed by conversation, any email with the same subject gets lumped in making it appear as if those emails are part of the same interaction. This can get complicated fast when a colleague includes you in multiple emails to different people with the same subject line. However, once you get used to it, it's easy to ignore.

• Reviewed on 10/9/2019
Bruce K.
retired
Nonprofit Organisation Management, Self Employed

"Better than OUtlook"

Comments: Happy or I wouldn't use it. ;-)

Pros: Integrated views of In box, Sent folders, etc. is excellent across many accounts.

Cons: User interface could use a buff. Vertical scroll bars are too thin and difficult to grab; their color contrast (to surrounding elements) is too low. Keyboard shortcut (Ctrl-N) for starting a new message should be available from the New Message window. (Sometimes we think of another note we need to send while in the middle of composing another.) Font and font size should be able to be separate message format tool bar items.

Hi Bruce,

Thank you for your review. Classic styled scroll bars are still present in Classic and System themes. And thank you for the New message shortcut suggestion - we'll add it to our todo list.

Rebeca R.
  • Reviewed on 25/4/2018

"Tried to get support and was ignored"

Pros: The software itself is good until you have a problem with it and need support. It's functional and easy to set up.

Cons: The customer support is non existent. They are in another time zone which totally clashes with American time zones, so they expect you to be on your computer at 5 in the morning to get help. When I complained about it, they ignored me completely and now my tickets will go unanswered.

by eM Client on 27/4/2018

Hello Rebeca, so far our support is located in Europe only, but we are trying hard to help every our customer from opposite time zones, even during our night hours, and even if they need remote assistance. Another remote assistance session with you is planned for today, 9 AM your time, so I believe this time everything will be all right.

Thank you, Peter.

• Reviewed on 25/4/2018
James G.
Behavioral Medicine Research Consultant
  • Reviewed on 26/6/2018

"Great email, calendar, contacts, and task manager."

Comments: It has completely replaced MS Outlook. I use it multiple times a day for all my email, calendar, contacts, and task management functions.

Pros: Synchronizes well with Google email and calendar. Easy to use layout with all of the features I want in a combination email, calendar, contacts manager. Pulls up email correspondence chain in separate view. I can customize views, categories, themes, etc.

Cons: Does not have a corresponding Android version. The contacts sync has sometimes resulted in duplicate entries. There is a duplicates tool to remove duplicates but it would be nice to have an easier to use merge contacts function added.

• Reviewed on 26/6/2018
Adam H.
Automotive, 13-50 Employees

"Powerful and lightweight"

Comments: Great program that gets the job done. Well worth the price. The best outlook alternative that I tried (and i’ve tried them all)

Pros: Has a lot of functionality that Outlook had but is much more light weight. It does the stuff you need it to without all of the over complication of other mail clients. Especially like how it allows multiple google calendars to sync seamlessly into one overall calendar. Much better that outlooks tabbed/overlay calendar design.

Cons: Tasks/todo lists could be a little more robust. Adding email senders to handling rules could be better as well.

Joel K.
MD
Human Resources, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 5/9/2019

"Good Alternative to Outlook"

Comments: I was having trouble getting Outlook to search GSuite mail since it is MAPI. eM Client solved that issue.

Pros: 1. Searching is very easy in this product. You can find anything quickly. 2.
Multithreading conversations is off the charts. It's much better than Outlook. They have a window on the right where you can see all prior conversations. 3. The mail handling and searching features are superior to Outlook. 4. Works well with Google Apps. 5. Calendar functionality is almost as good as Outlook.

Cons: 1. Contacts are weaker than Outlook. Takes a long time to load. Not overly user friendly. 2. Must store all mail history. In Outlook, Google has a sync download that limits the size of your total inbox.

Marco S.
photographer
Photography, Self Employed

"Already proven"

Pros: emClient is fast and much more important robust. It's already proven over several years in daily business. R&D takes into account ideas of users for further development

Cons: I would like to have a chance to configure the design of the displayed address in card view.

Jan R.
Computer Networking, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 11/7/2018

"Excellent e-mail program"

Comments: Being able to use a E-mail program that is not Internet based. It's a stand alone program which I prefer.

Pros: I started using eM Client last December when I got my new computer. Sadly enough, Windows Live Email was no longer supported. After doing some research I found this e-mail program to be the best and fit my needs. It allows you to have to e-mail addresses for free. Quite easy to use and set up. Takes some getting used to, but very professional so I can use it for my business needs as well as personal.

Cons: If you don't pay to upgrade it will not always have the latest updates available. I haven't noticed much of a problem with this though. When you first set it up you must follow the instructions properly to convert all your old e-mail addresses and messages. Took me a couple times to get it right.

• Reviewed on 11/7/2018
Jonathan R.
SVP
Real Estate, 2-10 Employees

"Review"

Pros: easy to use, very similar to Outlook, the folder system

Cons: it seems to go "offline" alot and I have to shut down and restart the application. Also, has trouble sending emails with large attachments.

Hi Jonathan,

Adrian W.
  • Reviewed on 11/9/2019

"My Email Client of Choice"

Comments: I moved to eM Client a few years ago as my main day-to-day email client. It is quite happy getting my (multiple) Office 365. IMAP and GMail accounts.

Pros: A good, clean user interface that simply allows you to get to work rather than have to deal with the distraction of unnecessary visual niceties.

Cons: The auto-configure service can be a little unreliable sometimes and it decides to use it's own categories rather than using those already configured via other Microsoft Outlook clients.

• Reviewed on 11/9/2019
Andy H.
Administrator
Education Management, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 31/10/2019

"Fantastic Product"

Comments: eM Client has been a great help to our school. it is very economical and easy to use.

Pros: eM Client works great. The updates continue to make it better. It has an integrated email client and calendar that help keep me organized. It works great with gmail.

Cons: Emails off the server still show up as unread even if they have been read and deleted from another application.

• Reviewed on 31/10/2019
Construction Administrator
Construction, 13-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 23/7/2018

"eM Client has been a useful and easy to use program to keep all of my emails in order."

Comments: The benefit is that I can keep all my jobs separate and manage them all at the same time. We work on 10-20 jobs at a time and this software has helped me keep organized and records of everything for those jobs.

Pros: eM Client is very straightforward and easy to use. It is what I like most about this program. I had never used it before this, but within an hour I felt like I had been using it for years. While it does lack the bells and whistles of other email software, it is for that reason that the ease of use is so good.

Cons: I don't really have many cons for this software, but it does lack in overall appearance. The other email software's that I use are easy on the eyes and look aesthetically pleasing. This is not really a con, but more of a personal preference for myself.

• Reviewed on 23/7/2018
Online Media, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 16/4/2019

"A Great Fully Featured Email Client"

Comments: It's been great. No problems, easy to use, great layout and I use it for hours each day.

Pros: s a lot of features built into it, from mail to calendar, tasks and contact management, this has been a great solution for me. It is an ideal alternative to Outlook. It works well, is easy to set up with multiple email accounts from all sorts of providers. I also love the layout options available and having the dark layout is great too.

Cons: Nothing really, it all works as it should and there hasn't been any problems or things that I thought could be better, for me it is a solid piece of software.

• Reviewed on 16/4/2019
Diane H.
Procurement
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 27/6/2017

"I have really benefited from this software because I have to monitor several inboxes. "

Comments: I feel at ease that emails are being monitored in a timely matter.

Pros: I love that I can monitor several email accounts without having to juggle multiple browser tabs. Using eM Client everything is in one central location. It's very easy to navigate and helps keep me very organized.

Cons: I don't have a major con but I do think there may be future updates to this software because I manage a lot of emails and it seems to work better when I keep the emails at a minimum.

by eM Client on 28/6/2017

Hello Diane, thank you for your positive review, we are glad that you like eM Client. Of course, we are constantly developing and updating it, for example now in version 7.1 we have added a simple way how to sign and encrypt your messages via PGP.

Anyway, if you have any troubles, please don't hesitate contact our online support.

Thanks, Peter from eM Client