15 years helping Irish businesses

About Cloudflare

Cloudflare Inc. is a web performance and security company on a mission to build a better Internet.

Learn more about Cloudflare

Pros:

Overall, my favorite feature are the email alerts for when a domain's nameservers no longer point to Cloudflare. That allows us to provide invaluable customer service for our own clients.

Cons:

Also every now and then my site looks odd. I clear the cache on site and browser and it still looks odd.

Cloudflare ratings

4.6
4.3
4.7
4.6

9.1/10

Cloudflare has an overall rating of 4.8 out 5 stars based on 447 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Cloudflare before?

Onur
Onur
Co-Founder in Türkiye

Cloudflare Review

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: My overall experience with Cloudflare is very good. Cloudflare really helps us on exposing and securing our applications.

Pros:

We are using Cloudflare as loadbalancer and CDN provider. The services that Cloudflare providing is very stable and secure.

Cons:

The live customer support process can be enhanced. When the production system is impaired, we need someone to talk to immediately.

Nathan
Founder in Poland
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

Good for all companies sizes!

Comments: Really good! Free tier is unbelievable good!

Pros:

Their free plan is unbelievable good, I didn’t need to pay for anything for almost 2 years and I just paid some features because was extra but all the essential is free

Cons:

Nameservers need to be moved to Cloudflare

Florian
Head of Engineering in Austria
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

Cloudflare as a front door for all external and internal services

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Comments: In general, I am very impressed with Cloudflare.
All portals are easy to use and you can quickly find all the settings you need.
Furthermore, the help and documentation is very good!

Pros:

I find the simple operation of Clouadflare to be an advantage! It is very cool how the features work so well together. From the simple DNS to Zero Trust and the VPN tunnels. GREAT!

Cons:

I can not really say antything negative on this point at the moment, as nothing has happened yet.

Karambir
CEO in US
Nonprofit Organisation Management, Self Employed

Cloudflare...has lost its luster

Comments: Cloudflare has evolved from a simple tool to guarantee 24/7 availability and quick response time. When I compared it to QUIC.cloud and LiteSpeed, I found it did not perform as well.

Pros:

Cloudflare provides a number of features that are important/essential for small business websites (DNS management, caching, SSL, etc.)

Cons:

Overly complex and increasingly expensive without achieving optimal performance and 24/7 guarantees.

Pedro
Pedro
CEO in Portugal

Great services for free

Pros:

The services offered in the free tier are very good. What can we ask more than what they offer already? It's simply very good that they even offer such a complete free version as they do.

Cons:

Eventually having a "pay-per-use" plan that we can customize with different options and pay per use. I know business wise that's not easy but it would offer a great flexibility to whoever wants to pay for specific functionalities

Zack
Zack
Information Technology Security Officer in US
Chemicals, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Great AIO solution to secure all your web resources

Comments: When I came to the company, no one was engaged in the organization of security for web resources. Almost immediately I chose Cloudflare, set up this service, and since then I follow the analytics and turn on new features. We are satisfied with everything and we plan to stay further with Cloudflare.

Pros:

I like the fact that the service is constantly being improved and adds new features, which allows you to abandon other services and use everything to ensure security in one place. Most of all I want to allocate 2 features - it is a CDN and protection against DDOS. It works just great.

Cons:

Some settings are not in the obvious places for them, you have to google and read the documentation to reach them.

Abhik
Abhik
Student in India
Computer Networking, 10,000+ Employees

Most secure content delivery network for website of any size

Comments: I'm using Cloudflare for years and never faced any significant issue. I'm overall happy with their product and services.

Pros:

Cloudflare allows many advance features even for free users. Like DNSSEC in Cloudflare DNS, Cloudflare proxy, I'm under attack mode and so on. Further, ClouFlare optimizes the content of the hosted websites by minifying codes and make websites a lot faster.

Cons:

Cloudflare free plan and even the business plan doesn't allow users to bring their own SSL certificates. This is a very basic and necessary feature. To upload custom SSL you need to purchase an enterprise plan with a $200/month rental, which is quite costly.

Marie Joy
Marie Joy
Virtual Assistant in Philippines
Retail, 2–10 Employees

This is simply the best!

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Comments: Overall, Cloudflare is a very helpful tool to use. I have never considered searching for an alternative for ages because Cloudflare never disappoints!

Pros:

I like that it offers pretty good services for FREE. And how much more with the premium plans? The setup is so easy and the onboarding process is fast and pretty simple.

Cons:

Their customer support is not very fast in responding to clients, but I think they are working to fix this one now.

Ja'Keya
Manager in US
Real Estate, 2–10 Employees

Amazing for email security

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Pros:

I have been using Cloudflare for a year or so and this have been the best for keeping secure information while emailing my clients. I never had to worry about any information getting into the wrong hands. WILL CONTINUE TO USE

Cons:

I don't have anything bad to say about Cloudflare

Martin
Martin
Freelancer in Czechia
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

Modern and useful network content provider

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Comments: I love this tool for its modern technologies like load balancer, CDN or DDoS protection;

Pros:

I use Cloudflare mainly for its perfect load-balancing features. It allows to serve your application assets in CDN delivery network. You can easily monitor your side using tools build-in in the web interface.

Cons:

You have to get some skills to configure anything in this tool. Sometimes the DDoS protection need to be optimalized to prevent some errors.

Kunal
Consultant in India

Make Your Site Secure and Blazing Fast

Comments: My overall experience with Cloudflare is great. Have been using since last 5+ years. Since 2019 they have launched many more product offerings. I use their DNS, CDN, Firewall Rules, Access and Teams for my WordPress powered blog.

Pros:

Offers an wonderful free plan. Easy to switch on/off features. Easy to migrate from other providers. Fastest DNS in the World. Firewall Rules to block certain URLs. Cloudflare Access and Teams to protect my WordPress Backend. Early adopters of new technologies like HTTP/2, HTTP/3, DoH, etc... Free DDoS protection. Hides your email id from bots. Know your site speed. Free Origin certificates.

Cons:

Plans are based on features which is different than the industry. Less page rules for free plan. Don't like the captchas. Rate limit 404s and Bypass cache on cookie available only on Business plan.

Nearly every single site we set up gets run through CloudFlare because of it's security and control.

Comments: It's great knowing CloudFlare is protecting our site from DDOS attacks. Their caching features make pages load incredibly fast, and their javascript CDN makes our sites load even faster still. The instantly updated DNS settings eliminates any downtime, meaning our users never even notice the switch.

Pros:

Once the nameservers are set up at the registrar to point to CloudFlare, DNS changes within CloudFlare are instantaneous. This is a huge deal when moving from one server to another. Having built-in SSL is another great way to provide peace of mind to our visitors. By essentially acting as a reverse proxy, it keeps our servers' IP addresses hidden from would-be attackers. Their bot and DDOS detection is legendary and their basic analytics are surprisingly helpful. A CloudFlare hosted CDN, cdnjs.com, has countless globally hosted scripts that make site building not only easier, but it also ensures the end results performs incredibly well. It's been years since I've set up a site that didn't have some CloudFlare feature built in.

Cons:

I haven't had any luck with some of their automatic HTML/JS optimization features that involve rewriting the code. I can see how they would speed up page load, but I've often found they've broken my site. I don't really need that feature, so I'm not missing out, but if you're going to give it a try, make sure you test thoroughly, as you should be with any change made to a public server ;)

Simon
Simon
Creative Head in India
Broadcast Media, 2–10 Employees

Cloudflare - A name you can trust for speed, security and a robust network!

Comments: Google searches have proven that if users don't see a webpage within 2 seconds of clicking a link, they never visit the website again. With Cloudflare, not only do users see my webpage within a second of clicking a link, they are also incentivized to look around and in doing so, find more content that they might be interested in. This has increased user retention for my website, while also helping sign up new users to the mailing list to keep an active pool of engaged users.

Pros:

For anyone starting out in the world of web development, setting up and using a CDN can be a very daunting task. This is where Cloudflare comes in. With a streamlined setup process and straightforward controls, you will be set up and ready to go within minutes of signing up for an account. For 90% of users out there, the free version provides above and beyond what you will require from a CDN. With additional DDoS protection, a strong firewall and extremely fast caching, it takes your website from being about average to one of the best on the market. Some websites can experience load times that are anywhere between 2x and 10x faster.

Cons:

Being limited to 3 page rules is one thing where Cloudflare feels like it could fall short on. 5 would've been a nice number. But if you can get a little technical with how URLs work in general, you can combine multiple rules into one, giving in essence more than 3 page rules.

Abel
Abel
Founder in Nigeria
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2–10 Employees

Great for website owners

Comments: Wouldn't switch to any other service for now, it works well for us.

Pros:

Without Cloudflare's free services running on all our sites, we'd probably have to pay more for webhosting and spend tons protecting and preventing our sites from spam/bot traffic. Since we run many content sites and have added them to cloudflare, not only have we managed to halve our hosting bill but we've also managed to speed up our sites in the process as well all while using the free plan that has almost everything you need. The free CLOUDFLARE SSL too means we don't have to pay for that. Cloudflare also has one of the fastest DNS propagation on the internet, unlike other providers who'd instruct you to wait 24 hours for full propagation all over the internet, with Cloudflare it's finished in minutes, not more than 2 hours in the worst case scenario. I also like that you can setup unlimited sites on the free plan, we currently have 10 websites on Cloudflare and its great. The AlwaysOnline technology too is good as it makes your website appear online even when your hosting server is done, great when you have a static site. Caching and seriously many other features that makes it a fantastic idea to jump on.

Cons:

While most of the basic features are available for free users, the real paid features are $20 a month per site, not much when you have one or two sites but when you're hitting the 10th mark, take a toll on the wallet.

Lucas
Lucas
Creative Director in US
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

Amazing services and only getting better

Comments: I run DNS for all my hosting business through Cloudflare. The base-level firewall and caching keeps so much traffic from reaching my servers out of the box that I don't know what I'd do without it. Once you add in manually-configured firewall rules and specific cache instructions, both malicious traffic and legit requests overloading my servers drops even further. The API integration also allows me to add firewall rules based on alerts about malicious activity that I receive from things like fail2ban on my servers. This pushes the IP blocking one step further away from a single server and also protects my entire network of servers and sites from a malicious IP that has triggered a report from one server/site in the newtork.

Pros:

Really fast updates to zone records Amazing firewall and DDOS protection keep server load under control Edge cache speeds TTFB and keeps origin server bandwidth low JS Workers are AWESOME and come with a great free tier Great admin UI

Cons:

I exclusively use the free tier for 40 domains and I really can't think of a single thing that CloudFlare could offer at this price that I could reasonably expect to get for free. I would be sunk without the free tier and am totally grateful for all they offer.

Hannah
Hannah
Principal CEO in US
Graphic Design, 11–50 Employees

The best tool for web page security

Comments: Thanks to Cloudflare we have excellent security on the web pages, it works great and it is very easy to use it, the interface is excellent and easy to understand, totally happy with the results offered by this tool. and I would recommend to other people who use this service, since I use it there is excellent security and I can say that it is the best platform of this style and type that is why it is so successful and people use it.

Pros:

It is a security tool for all the web pages that we manage, it offers excellent security and it offers free SSL certificate which is important so that each website visitor feels security and tranquility, also helps against DDOS attacks in an impressive way and is One of its strengths for which Cloudflare is known, its way of configuring is easy and the interface is simple and easy to handle. In addition to this it also has very good free options that all users can use.

Cons:

I really have no complaints or I see significant problems, There are more solutions and utilities that Cloudflare gives than the problems that may arise in certain situations, if there is something to mention and that is when changing a configuration; these changes may take time to make, but basically it does not represent major problems since it is a safe and reliable tool that we can trust and ensure our safety.

Rebecca
Software Development Engineer in US
Information Technology & Services, 51–200 Employees

Excellent software to accelerate the response of our website

Comments: This software is really useful since thanks to it we can provide our audience with a website or applications that are always available, that is, no matter where you are entering, you can always enter the website quickly because the workload is distributed on several servers, also the entry will always be safe because Cloudflare also stops those attacks that may impair the performance of that site.

Pros:

I like Cloudflare a lot because it is a software that helps to accelerate the responses given by websites or applications so that when a visitor enters the site they do not have to go through a slow process to access them, and this is because It gives us balanced loads so that it is not a single server that carries out the work but is distributed on several servers, in addition to providing fast websites it is also able to protect them against threats and bots so before these attacks come and this software has stopped them and the best thing is that it not only protects our website but also its visitors as it sends them alerts that let them know that they are entering from an already infected computer so the easiest way to to avoid that is that he asks that they carry out a captcha.

Cons:

One of the drawbacks with this software is that when making changes to the website, such changes may take time to be reflected since this software saves the content in a static way.

Andrew
President & CEO in US
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

Cloudflare is a “must have”

Comments: I’ve been using website caching providers for about 7 years now, and switched to Cloudflare about 4 years ago. I have not once looked back. For the money, CloudFlare is by far the best caching solution on the market. I use it on two websites, each with different needs, and am able to achieve very affordably what would have been a pretty expensive configuration a decade ago. The automation in CloudFlare makes it simple for anybody to use them. I have a technical background, but many of my clients don’t, and I’m able to walk them through getting set up and running with CloudFlare with very short order. I see myself being a CloudFlare customer for years to come.

Pros:

The Cloudflare interface is intuitive and the software is extremely simple to use. The “set it and forget it” functionality is amazing, as it serves very much as an autonomous coaching solution once properly configured. Sure, you’ll need to tweak it from time to time as your website needs change, but that process is inviting and easy, even for people with less technical background. I also love the value that you get in even the lower-tiered price points. The DNS management is a huge bonus as well.

Cons:

It’s hard to say something bad about Cloudflare, but if I had to play devil’s advocate, I’d say that there are maybe a few features in the higher tier packages that I’d like to see in the entry level plan. Most users won’t feel this way though, as my particular needs are a little more specific than most.

Alex
Alex
Front End Developer in US

All in One Solution for Website Speed and Security

Pros:

The best feature about this software, in my opinion, is their trade marked Javascript delivery optimization mode: Rocket Loader. This feature enables asynchronous loading of all third party scripts loaded on your web page, drastically increase page load times. Our team enables this feature on each of our client's websites and always results in at least a 10% difference in page speed scores. Another feature that our company could certainly not live without is their dead simple firewall rule integration. A large majority of our clients only accept work locally or nationally, so any traffic coming from international sources is more than likely visiting with malicious intent. The country blocking feature in the firewall integration allows us to block this likely malicious traffic and decrease the odds of any security breaches into our client's sites.

Cons:

The only annoyance I had while using this software was the 30 second delay when clearing the server cache. This is a very small issue since 30 seconds is certainly not a long time, but my patience is not great when attempting to debug or optimize page speeds. This problem can be solved by turning development mode on, but when this feature is on all optimization features are disabled, so optimizing page speeds is not possible.

Rick
Rick
Senior Engineer: Rocket Motors and Warheads in South Africa

Cloudflare took my site from Google Page Speed Score from 56/100 to 88/100 within a day!

Comments: My website's increase in speed was phenomenal. With the absolute minimal changes to my website configuration (I just added an optional plugin), and changes to my DNS settings, I was able to take my Google Page Speed Score from a 56 to an 88 within 24 hours. This is very good for SEO and page ranking, which was really amazing.

Pros:

Cloudflare works seamlessly in the background, without having to do very much configuration. After the initial DNS setup, plugin setup on WordPress, and Configuration Wizard on Cloudflare, the process runs itself. I was amazed that a CDN could speed my website up as much as it did. I am now able to handle much larger volumes of traffic thanks to this. The protection from DDOS attacks is a definite added bonus, not that I have seen this used on my sites yet.

Cons:

The initial setup and propagation of DNS settings across the web makes for a few a small bit of downtime during the first day, but this is most likely a function of how the internet works, and not the actual software

Christopher
CEO in US
Broadcast Media, 2–10 Employees

My review of Cloudflare.

Comments: My overall experience is I found Cloudflare great for what my company has to do.

Pros:

Cloudflare DDoS protection is one of my favorites since it works in unison with other clouds' WAF and bot control services to defend our resources from all types of intrusions, keeping us safe all the time. The CDN increases website performance, especially on mobile devices, and its WAF capabilities enable us to block locations where we have no clients or company branches. It's easy to set up and operate, and its expanded security and speed optimization capabilities make it a great CDN for any site we create.

Cons:

Its commercial plans are costly, although it does offer a free package with limited capacity that is unsuitable for large organizations. I'm not happy with their customer service because they never respond soon enough to help us with problems.

Web Developer in US
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed

Cloudflare makes managing multiple sites a breeze

Comments: Cloudflare has been a pivotal tool in helping me rebuild a client's website on a dev server and then quickly moving the new site live. It has changed that switchover from what was once a pain point to a simple copy and past of the new IP address.

Pros:

Cloudflare makes it a snap to update DNS settings without the wait associated with other solutions. I can move a site to. new server or set-up a new subdomain instantly

Cons:

The basic and most important features are affordable but the costs seem to escalate quickly at a certain point

Clifton Snyder
Senior Wealth Manager in United Arab Emirates
Real Estate, 51–200 Employees

An absolute reliable and capable tool!

Comments: Overall, Cloudflare has proven to be an exceptional ally in managing and securing our networks. Its robust features, user-friendly interface, and reliable performance make it a go-to tool for network administrators like me. I'm grateful for the peace of mind and enhanced control it brings to our digital infrastructure, allowing us to focus on what truly matters—driving our business forward.

Pros:

Cloudflare apart is its robust security measures. With a wide range of security features, including DDoS protection, web application firewall, and SSL encryption, it acts as a formidable shield, warding off potential threats and keeping our systems safe from malicious attacks. The peace of mind that comes with knowing our network is fortified by such a reliable and capable tool is truly invaluable.

Cons:

In all honesty, based on my experience, I haven't been able to find any drawbacks or cons when it comes to Cloudflare's services. It has consistently exceeded my expectations and delivered outstanding performance

Hashan
[email protected] in Sri Lanka
Animation, 2–10 Employees

My Experience with Cloudflare

Comments: With cloudflare I was able to accelerate the speed of my website.
I was also able to protect my website's data because cloudflare encrypted my data by a SSL certificate.
And also I was able to grow my business with the help of cloudflare's analytical service.

Pros:

Cloudflare is a web security flat form so I'm using it as the security provider for my website. The thing that I most like about Clouflare is the enhancement and acceleration of the speed of my website , at initially my website took more than 5 seconds to load but after I stated using Clouflare the loading speed increased to 1.2 seconds and it also helped me to grow my SEO. Another thing that I love about cloudflare is the web security provided by cloudflare, Cloudflare provided a SSL certificate to my website and encrypted my data and enhanced the security of my website. Because of this SSL certificate I was able to bring more clients into my website. So I can gladly clarify that the best web security provider is Clouflare. Clouflare is doing the best when we are coming to reporting/analytics. Cloudflare's Analytical service helps my business to grow more because it shows us the all details of the user activities on my website. so I love Cloudflare's analytical service.

Cons:

In my experience I wasn't able to find any cons regarding cloudflare services because cloudflare team has developed cloudflare to the greatest point.

Esra
Esra
Research and Development Director in Türkiye

Easily protect your websites!

Comments: Overall it is the best CDN in the market.

Pros:

Cloudflare has a lot of nice features. It detects the location of visitors and directs them to its nearest data center so it can serve from its cache to reduce latency. You can easily block threats and abusive bots. You can detect and mitigate DDoS attacks to protect your websites. Creating your account is super easy. Just register with your email address and password. Enter your domain and leave the rest to Cloudflare.

Cons:

You should really understand how to use Cloudlfare because for example when it blocks your website against a threat your website will be inaccessible and visitors will see an unfriendly webpage instead of your nice looking pages. To prevent this you should act fast and fix the problem.