15 years helping Irish businesses

Square Point of Sale Reviews

4.6 (2,896) Write a Review!

About Square Point of Sale

Square POS is the customizable point-of-sale system built for businesses of all shapes and sizes.

Learn more about Square Point of Sale

Pros:

The cost was great for me to start out. It was very easy to train staff on the system as well.

Cons:

It was a little confusing to get started because we were using a mobile device.

Square Point of Sale ratings

4.7
4.4
4.5
4.5

8.8/10

Square Point of Sale has an overall rating of 4.6 out 5 stars based on 2,896 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Square Point of Sale before?

Filter reviews (2,896)

Dan
Dan
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed

Square D Point of Safe Review

Comments: Ease of installation: Many Square D products are designed to be easy to install, even for those with limited electrical experience. This can save time and money on installation costs.

Pros:

Square D is a brand of electrical equipment, including circuit breakers, switchgear, and other electrical components. Some of the features that are commonly cited as benefits of Square D products include: Reliability: Square D products are known for their durability and reliability. This can be especially important in critical applications such as hospitals, factories, and power plants, where equipment failure can have serious consequences. Safety: Square D products are designed with safety in mind and are tested to meet strict safety standards. This can help protect workers and building occupants from electrical hazards. Compatibility: Square D products are compatible with a wide range of electrical systems and devices, making them a flexible choice for many different types of applications. Energy efficiency: Some Square D products are designed to be energy efficient, which can help reduce energy costs and reduce the environmental impact of electrical systems. Customer support: Square D has a reputation for providing excellent customer support, including technical assistance and training for its products. This can be especially helpful for customers who have questions or need support with their electrical systems.

Cons:

In general, some potential downsides or limitations of Square D products may include: Cost: Square D products may be more expensive than some other brands, especially if you're looking for budget-priced options. Compatibility: Square D products may not be compatible with certain types of equipment or systems, depending on the specific requirements of your application. Availability: Square D products may not be as widely available as other brands, especially if you're looking for specialized or hard-to-find components. Warranty: Square D products may come with limited warranties, which may not cover certain types of damages or defects.

Dawn
Manager in US
Environmental Services, 2–10 Employees

Great product

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: I really like square and don't have any interest in switching card processors

Pros:

Square is very user friendly and simple to use. The fees for square are high per use than many other merchant devices but there are no other monthly/maintenance hidden fees so overall they tend to be cheaper especially for small businesses unless you're running several thousand dollars/month in credit cards

Cons:

Customer receipts don't list custom items

Monica
Arts & Crafts, Self Employed

Free product but not so easy to use

Comments: I didn't like it, nor could I figure out how to use it

Pros:

It was free and did not cost me anything.

Cons:

But I could not figure out how to use it and I eventually gave up and gave it away

Natalie
Executive Director in US

Loving Square Point of Sale

Comments: Overall very positive, and I recommend to anyone that does electronic sales/needs a terminal that I come in contact with on a day-to-day basis.

Pros:

Square Point of Sale has been very easy to use, easy to integrate and wonderful for keeping track of day-to-day sales. Very low customer complaints, and no problems during in-person sales. Hand-held device is very convenient, easy to transport and take to different locations

Cons:

Given the NYS laws, and how/what our orders are, we are not a fan of the $0.x cent charge per order- would be much easier to just have the flat percentage. Also given the nature of our business, would be helpful to have a straight charge, not different for "card present" or not.

AE in US
Financial Services, 501–1,000 Employees

Square - DR

Comments: great, easy to use and have been using Square for over 8 years

Pros:

easy to use, can use with iPad as well, great for tradeshows when we promote our business and sell products

Cons:

the fees can be a little high, no other complaints at this time

Gretchen
Co Owner in US

Try Square!

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: I have had a wonderful experience with square point of sale and I would recommend it to anyone that wants to use an easy and inexpensive payment processing system.

Pros:

I like the ease of use and that it works instantly for processing payments

Cons:

Can take a while to hear back from customer service if you ever have an issue

Paul

Square Makes It Simple!

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

Easy of use. Easy to train staff in on. Technical Support.

Cons:

I really can't come up with a meaningful negative.

Lenecca

Great Payment Processor

Comments: I had a great experience overall using Square. Never had any problems.

Pros:

Square point of sale is great to use as another payment processor in your business. It's secure and easy to use.

Cons:

There isn't anything that I wouldn't change

Isabelle
business manager in Canada
Entertainment, 2–10 Employees

I wish Square would become international

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

It is easy to set up and to use, straight forward fees.

Cons:

It's only for Canada or USA, we bring our merchandise all over the world, we wish Square could become international.

Shalawn
Office Manager in US
Restaurants, 11–50 Employees

Square Easy to Use

4.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

Easy for employee to use and ability to maintain payment records.

Cons:

Customer service is okay. But least liked by employee.

Bill
owner in US

Good Day, Bad Day

Comments: I’m a bit sad. For 6 years I have been using “Shopkeep” as my point of sale software provider. This is my cash register, and where I enter my inventory descriptions, quantities, prices, customer data and pretty much everything about my business. My sales histories, credit card transactions and, most importantly, 6 years of sales and customer info is stored on a distant Shopkeep cloud…. I think?
Six years ago I recall sitting at my kitchen bar and doing endless Google searches and reading endless reviews about the many POS providers and finally narrowing it down to two or three. I absolutely wanted cloud-based with IPad terminals and a small footprint. After doing a few online demos, I chose Shopkeep. And now, six years later, this lukewarm POS marriage with counseling, a lot of arguments and the threat of separation… I started chatting with “Square”. Yep, Square is the biggest cloud-based, IPad POS provider in the country. I am not a sheep, and I hate going with the Walgreens or WalMart of POS systems, but after six years of Shopkeep, I think I finally know what I really want. And for fear of sounding too techie or like a spouse coming out of a bad relationship, I’ll just say, one of the many advantages of being a billion dollar company is you can hire the best developers and programmers money can buy. So, need I say more. It is a wonderful product and no one is even close as to how it operates.

Pros:

It operates just like your mind works. It is so logical. It was so simple to upload my inventory and customer data.

Cons:

No option for another color system. The white color sticks out like a sore thumb. Otherwise, I would say they nailed it.

Zephyr
Entrepreneur in US
Food & Beverages, 2–10 Employees

Great features but not the most reliable

Comments: Square has amazing features and is easy to use. It's also great to take on the go. I would have given it 5 stars if it weren't for the issues with buffering and transactions not going through. Because of these issues, Square was too unreliable for me.

Pros:

Square was really easy to set up and use. It has a lot of great features like analytics, sales reports, manual credit card entry, and more. It's also really easy to set up and edit your menu. The fees that Square takes on credit card payments are not high and are very reasonable. Square is also excellent for on-the-go sales and is very portable. It's easy to take to different venues and events.

Cons:

I encountered a lot of problems with Square. I was mainly using it to sell goods at my local farmer's market. Often after swiping a customer's credit card Square would be stuck with the loading symbol and the transaction would never go through. There were many times I had to shut down the app and reopen and ask the customer to swipe again with another credit card. There have been times where the customer was charged twice and times where the customer was never charged at all! It was very disappointing encountering these setbacks while I have a limited time to sell at the farmer's market. There were also times where it appeared that the sale went through and then later after checking my sales reports I could see that several transactions were missing and I was never paid. I also tried Square on multiple devices but the problems persisted.

Dannyelle

Brewing POS System

Comments: Overall, the ideal product for what we need! There are absolutely flaws, but every option will have them and not one is going to be perfect. The flaws we have in Square are overall mostly reconcilable in adjustments I've managed to make to get around them, but there are still a few that get in the way. However, overall, I don't see another product on the market that I would use instead of Square, so I'm more than happy to work with what we've got!

Pros:

We use Square for our in-houes POS system on the iPad docking system, I occasionally use it through a mobile device for payments on-the-go at events and such, and we also use it integrated with our Wix website for online to-go orders and retail orders. Overall, it works great for all the things we need it for! It covers at least the basics of every aspect we use it for.

Cons:

There are definitely some customization issues I have with it whereas I'd like it to function a bit more to our exact needs, but overall it covers the bases. Specifically, there are a few variation/option issues I wish we could set up differently for our POS menu, and it would also be nice to have access to more customization with reporting. We use printed receipts but can't specify how many to print which can be frustrating as well. Lastly, our online ordering page not reconciling with the same inventory/reporting items as our POS in-house can also be a bit annoying, but overall we've managed to set it up to function the bests we can.

Carolyn
Owner, President in US
Consumer Services, 2–10 Employees

Square is easy to deploy, and makes POS a breeze.

Comments: I am happy with Square POS. And I recommend it for any mobile consumer services company. Ease of use, set up and customer service is great!

Pros:

Easy set up. The set up tools were not distracting, had a way to see where you are in the process, so you don't miss anything. Ease of deployment. My employees are of varying ages and tech experience. This product was easy to teach to my users. Clients know the name Square. They trust their information is secure. They are also impressed with the NPC ability to tap to pay with our phones.

Cons:

The readers may not be necessary. I thought at the time of setup that I needed 5 readers, so I could have saved myself an initial investment. We are a fully mobile company, so our POS is on our phones. The NPC capability makes the (occasionally glitchy) readers obsolete.

Juan
CTO in Spain
Restaurants, 51–200 Employees

Really good solution, payments and backoffice

Comments: The overall experience is very good. I manage moe than 8 locations with bothe in person and online sales easily from the same dashboard.
Things just work.

Pros:

That it is an all-in-one solution. It covers your whole business (with some caveats) but if you have a retails store it's all that you need. For restaurants they're missing some features, but working on them.

Cons:

That you can clearly tell it's built for retail. If you're a restaurant user some things don't work out. Also the online store, they need to put that thing on a diet.

Christy

Square Point of Sale for Gift Card Sales

Comments: Over all, having the ability to sell E-gift cards from my existing website without a monthly fee was a huge game changer for my salon company! We went from selling $200-$300 per year in online gift card sales to well over $2000 the first holiday season my company offered E-gift cards. I believe the increase was due to the great look of the gift card choices, the Square name that everyone knows and how easily I could added the service to my company website.

Pros:

I love how easy and fast it was to set up and link into my website. Square gave me the exact dimensions my photo(s) needed to be for the custom branded E-cards for the Square point of sale. In addition, my main reason for choosing Square Point of Sale for my online gift card sales was that there is no monthly fee to offer the E-cards, my company only pay for processing sales.

Cons:

Square Point of Sale continues to improve the software for the E- gift cards, however I wish the system would notify me, the owner, when a customer has purchased a gift card. Customers would bring in their digital gift cards for services and since Square Point of Sale did not integrated into our booking software & our company did not realize the card had been purchased staff would have to search to find the purchased card. I wish the gift card sales and the reporting of the gift card sales was more streamlined.

Tessa
Tattoo Artist in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2–10 Employees

A must-have, but high fees.

Comments: I use Square daily on the job. The tattoo shop I work in doesn’t have an in-house ATM so being able to take digital and card payments is a must! Square’s payment processing is a bit expensive but the payoff is fairly worth it in my opinion.

Pros:

Square makes taking card and digital payments extremely easy and simple. It’s quick and convenient for both me and my clients. I also don’t have to purchase a POS unit as the small free card reader that plugs into my phone is all I need.

Cons:

The fees for this processor are quite hefty. While square’s fees aren’t hidden by any means, and are average for payment processing fees, I really wish there was a simpler, flat-rate monthly fee option that could save me money without taking 2.6% + 6¢ out of each of my sales. Or at least, with what I’m paying in fees, I really should not have to pay extra for other features like email/text marketing through Square.

Joseph
Joseph
Publishing, 2–10 Employees

Own a business? You NEED this product!

Comments: If you're a business owner and you sell products or services, especially if you have multiple sites and/or have a mobile sales force, this product is a must. The access is easy, the interface is friendly, and the payment system is quick.

Pros:

EASY to set up and use! In short time, we were able to set up our entire library online and make it simple to purchase and sell products. Once set up, everything is available to every member of team, so that one of our book sellers in California has access to the same products as a book seller in Michigan the moment the product is placed online. I also love that we can easily create multiple price points for products and can easily access them from the apps on various mobile devices, desktops etc... The percentages paid to Square are as small as any other you will find, and they deposit funds into your bank account within 24-hours, with same-day options available for an extra, nominal fee. The no hassle, ease-of-deposit, process is a MUST for our small business. Customer service has been off the charts good, and every small issue has been resolved quickly. I also love that so many web sites integrate with Square so that we can maintain one payment portal for 99% of what we do. The technology (swipe devices, Point of Sale stands, card tappers/reader...work flawlessly with each and every device we've thrown at them (iPhones, iPads, Android, laptop...) and they look good, too.

Cons:

Honestly, there is little to NOT like about this system. I've tried several others and since switching to Square 5 years ago, I've never looked back.

Molly
Salon Owner / Esthetician in US
Consumer Services, 2–10 Employees

Square - Pros and Cons

Comments: My overall experience with Square as a Point of Sale is mostly positive. We have transitioned our appointments and reports away from Square due to the lack of reports and really only use this POS for online transactions or if we were to do an event outside of our Brick and Mortor. I think this is a positive system that can and does benefit many businesses. For ours we needed more detailed and extensive reports and better transaction fees for our day to day transactions with our customers.

Pros:

I loved that Square was so easy to start up and operate immediately. It literally takes minutes to set up and the hardware once it is sent to you is the simplest set up. I think the biggest appeal to Square is that it is fool proof and anyone can get this POS to work for them. The second biggest YES for this product is that it is super easy to take with you to offer card payment options to clients while you are outside of your brick and motor. I think offline payments and the option to take payments on their app through the mobile card swiper is a huge selling point to Square customers.

Cons:

I feel the cost of the transaction to the business owner is quite high when compared to other companies. They have one of the highest if not the highest transaction costs. Some owners will charge this back to their customers via a fee (which is illegal in some states) and others could just cushion this cost of doing business into their service prices but it is worth mentioning that it is something not so great about Square. The other not awesome part of Square is the reports. They are very mundane and not very extensive. It is quite clear that Square is a POS system that offers payment transactions first and later on enable the appointments and the reports. I hope to see much improvement with those back-end functions in the near future. It is imperative to a business owner to know what the health of the company looks like at any given moment and transactions is not even close to the only report necessary.

Khalid
Khalid
content writer in India
Education Management, 11–50 Employees

NO.1 FREE POS - Square POS | Best for online payment processing and invoice management

Comments: My overall experience with app/software/SAAS can be summed in the follwing points: A. The given app/software/SAAS has been solving the following business problems :
- multiple payment processings
- invoice creation
-mobile app payments
- attract more customers
- revenue generation
B. i have been able to realize the following benefits with the help of the given app/software/SAAS :
- bring the payment systems to online
- making offline business transform into online business
- allows customers to pay using either credit or debit or mobile payments with and without contact
- helped build trusted business brand and brand reputation among customers
-easy to setup all functionalities at affordable fees

Pros:

i found the following features as most impactful: - lightweight, quick payment processing and mobile - best sales database management - builds consumer confidence with its ease of use and real-time payment updates. - affordable & reliable - phone app allows payments at all locations. Yes the product is quite easy to use for: - payments -invoicing with customers full details -mobile payments - pulling sales reports - contactless payments Yes i was successfully able to implement the integration of the app/software/SAAS with my existing business processes quite smoothly and easily as i could set it up with a little self-help, effort, and online training guides..

Cons:

I found the following features that were either missing or could be improved: - difficulty in card reading for payments and chip card reading - could be made in other dark colors instead of WHITE - features to make payments by consumers using heir online square account - fees could be reduced further, - better connectivity and tutorials to use needed I found the following features or aspects of the product that are difficult to use: - freelancers do not get more options - complex to understand the POS platform - manual entry of chargeable dollar amounts - non-availability of phone support - difficult to customize No, the integration of the app/software/SAAS with my existing business processes not so much difficult as i could set it up with a little self-help, effort, and online training guides.

Director in Australia
Hospitality, 11–50 Employees

Square POS for Hospitality/Food trucks

Comments: Overall I'm reasonably happy with square. We have negotiated a better rate based on our turnover, and when you need help-as long as it's during business hours-they are there to help and pretty good at it. However, if you suggest a fix/improvement, unless you can get a bunch of people to support it in the square community development will take some time if at all. Square is a Payment processing company not a POS but they have developed a pretty good POS but lag behind others with features and functions.

Pros:

Square is relatively easy to set up, however, unlike many of the bigger POS companies, development of the POS is slower and some features/functions are not there that you will get with the bigger, more expensive POS. For a small business, market stall, food truck, functionality is good, however, if you have complex modifiers (options for customers to choose from IE Add bacon, remove cheese etc) it is a little complex to setup. What I like best is for the cost it's a fairly easy system, but don't expect all the bells and whistles.

Cons:

Little bugs and glitches, most of which can be sorted out if you have the time to fiddle. Cost is not too bad, especially if you are doing a good turnover-negotiate a better rate. Issues with online ordering, order throttling, walk up/phone orders, payments not working on some customers PC's, tablets, phones. Customer support is good, but if you try to contact them after hours, forget it-even with a Square for restaurants subscription I can't get through for help.

Katherine
Creative Director in US
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

Ideal Invoicing & Processing for B2B Services

Pros:

Square is easy and secure to use when invoicing our business clients. In 10+ years we have never experienced downtime, security issues, or missed or misapplied payments. Their processing rates are not always the absolute cheapest, but they are competitive. We have also integrated Square into websites/e-commerce for dozens of clients, and it works seamlessly. Additionally, they offer capital business loans that have helped us with cash flow on a couple occassions.

Cons:

Their processing rates are not necessarily the absolute lowest. If a few tenths of a percentage are important to you, you may wish to shop around for the lowest transaction rates.

Kristine
Executive Director
Museums & Institutions, 2–10 Employees

After research, seemed like best choice on a small nonprofit's limited budget.

Comments: Our previous credit card processor charged us PCI compliance fee but didn't help us with our compliance issues. They were happy to charge an additional price. PCI noncompliance fee for more than a year. Switching our four physical locations and website to Square resolved those issues and saved those fees. Square Retail would no doubt help us more with inventory management, but we can't afford the extra monthly cost for the multiple locations. Software Advice and other review sites were very helpful in sorting through the hundreds of options and convincing our board that we could afford to make the switch to Square to help staff reduce time spent to manage both sales and inventory.

Pros:

Fairly intuitive and forgiving (can back out of most screens if not sure where to find function you're looking for). Sales and national park visitor center staff really like the system, and have had little difficulty learning it. We have it set up with wi-fi on AT&T U-Verse and satellite internet and on a Verizon wireless-enabled iPad. Offline mode has worked during power interruptions and automatically uploaded sales when back online. Customer support has generally been top notch. Support Center has good information and comments from the Square community, though it can be a challenge to find the answer without fairly extensive searching. The Square stands, compatible printers, and cash drawers were easy to hook up and work well together. Straightforward pricing. Ability to accept multiple forms of payment with the Square chip reader and Virtual Terminal.

Cons:

Would be extremely helpful to have searchable, downloadable start-up and user guides instead of having to cut and paste from web pages, which doesn't work well. We had to make a lot of phone calls to tech support during initial set-up, particularly for uploading inventory, because we couldn't find instructions online. Very time-consuming and tricky to upload inventory spreadsheet files that include multiple locations. After all the effort to upload, it appears that each item still has to have inventory tracking enabled manually. We assumed that's why we were entering all the inventory numbers into the spreadsheet. Moving inventory from one location to another also must be done manually. With desktop version of QuickBooks for Mac, Square's daily subtraction of fees for each location's sales vs. all fees charged once monthly by our previous processor has more than quadrupled the time needed to enter sales reports. Switching to cloud version of QuickBooks may help, as transactions can supposedly be downloaded to it. Had to purchase a third-party module to integrate our website's Magento Community ecommerce software with Square, but integration is very incomplete (total charge only is transferred to Square, not items sold, merchandise subtotal, member discount, or shipping charges). We accidentally entered some Virtual Terminal transactions with the wrong location selected and couldn't transfer them to the correct location. Tech support verified that the only option would have been to refund each transaction from the incorrect location and reenter them in the correct one. We bought a recommended scanner but found that we would have to manually replace our existing PLUs with very long barcode numbers for each item to use it.

Retail, 2–10 Employees

A cheap, easy, & convenient CC processing alternative.

Comments: We take all of our credit/debit card payments through Square, as well as Apple Pay, Android Pay & Samsung Pay. The ability for a customer to pay, sign, and get a receipt e-mailed to their phone while they are still standing in front of me brings a nice sense of trust and completion to each sale.

Pros:

It is free to set up and implement initially. Square will even send free card processors (they're the cheap ones that let you take a card payment from your phone/tablet, but it will let you start swiping cards immediately). They help keep track of your sales/accounting for non-card payments, too, as long as you enter in the sales data for them. Additionally, the ability to edit & customize withdrawal options is very helpful. I can get funds deposited on a schedule or whenever I choose to (even instantly, although this incurs an additional 1% fee). It is much cheaper and more convenient than a standard CC payment processor, so anyone with a small or mobile business would be wise to check this out.

Cons:

The customer service is a bit lacking. I've never had a real issue with them that didn't resolve itself pretty quickly, but there's been one or two times where I have an issue and get what appears to be an automated response about it. Not a big deal, but when you Google it, on the Square help forums, this kind of response seems to be the norm for most questions/concerns. Fortunately, their system is pretty self-explanatory, that additional personalized help isn't usually needed.

Kendall
Operations Assistant in US
Financial Services, 2–10 Employees

Simple and intuitive POS system

Pros:

The grid view is simple and easy to understand for new hires, particularly the fact that you can add images and order the grid however you like (easy to organize products in a way that makes sense for the business) as well as "folder" items that aren't too complicated but allow you to have more items accessible on the screen. The open tab feature is helpful as we have situations where companies want to leave a ticket open for employees to order at their leisure, and that feature is helpful and easy to use once you understand it. Also nice that the screen for the user and the screen for the customer are separate so none of the annoying "turning the screen" stuff. Overall just a very intuitive and simplified system for POS, I've seen some that are a visual mess and Square makes it simple to work fast and efficiently.

Cons:

The tab feature is great once you learn it, but I had trouble at first "saving" the ticket because the system doesn't make it obvious how to set the order as an open tab after you start entering it. There were times I thought I had the tab saved but realized I had closed out of it instead and didn't have the order or card info saved which was a pain. There were also a decent amount of crashes and outages. Cards from certain banks seemed to cause the system to crash, and eventually it would freeze up randomly mid-order and you'd have to unplug. Wasn't great on super busy days when you're trying to churn through customers.