15 years helping Irish businesses

Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate Reviews

About Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

Construction and real estate management solution that pulls everything together for streamlined, single-source control.

Learn more about Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

Pros:

Easy to use, excellent software and customer support.

Cons:

We've had to partner with several companies to get more out of Sage because they aren't updating anything. I also dislike their customer service.

Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate ratings

3.6
3.9
3.9
3.6

7.3/10

Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate has an overall rating of 4.0 out 5 stars based on 550 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate before?

Samuel
Samuel
Full stack web developer in Nigeria
Information Technology & Services, 201–500 Employees

Sage is a good value for the the money I paid

Comments: Despite their short comings,I can tell you that sage 300 is the best management software out their with good value for money,and I highly recommend it for either large or small real estate or construction companies.

Pros:

What I like is the face that sage helps me to boost my project productivity, limiting errors, improving correspondence among parties,and creating adjustible reports

Cons:

I have been using this software for a while now and my only issues us that I still cant remove some dormant account.that is my only issues

Jennifer

Versatile and Allows for Growth

Comments: I love this software but feel the customer service has tanked over the years. If I have an issue I want to pick up the phone and reach a person, not hours of hold time and voice mail only to be told to go look up the answer myself via the knowledgebase. It is extremely frustrating.

Pros:

There is a lot of versatility in this software that I know we don't even tap into.

Cons:

You can post, or rather the software allows for, negative debit and credit postings. For me it is fine but when you have someone on staff who maybe doesn't understand it can make things tricky.

3 years ago

Thank you for your feedback! We appreciate your business and look forward to helping drive your continued success in construction and real estate.

Alex
System Analysis in Canada

10 years past it's prime

Comments: Sage 300 CRE meet our company's needs for close to 15 years, but ultimately newer,
cheaper, faster, more accessible, and more customizable software came along and we choose to switch. 10 years ago Sage 300 CRE was well worth looking at but these days there are better options on the market.

Pros:

As an accounting system Sage 300 did the majority of what was required from it, similarly as a payroll management system. Sage 300 CRE has a lot of 3rd party support and there we no shortage of additional programs that could be integrated to handle document control, time collection, and reporting. Sage 300 CRE is also customizable enough that many changes to accommodate our business were able to be made. Most modules in Sage are capable of importing from CSV files making data transfer between system relatively easy, especially with the backup documents.

Cons:

The biggest complaint from our users had to do with the speed at which the system operated. Regardless of our servers hardware we found some reports and process would take several minutes to run and despite receiving several suggestions from the customer support team nothing ever improved the situation. As time went by despite yearly updates Sage 300 CRE felt like a older and older program, its UI and design philosophy feel very 2000s. Getting information out of Sage can be extremely tricky as well, built in export options are limited, and using the ODBC drivers can be tricky even for technical users. Setting up Sage 300 CRE so that it functions like a client-server application is also tricky, and the update process usually ended up with our IT team spending an entire evening updating the server and each individual workstation. Access Sage outside of your company's intranet is also difficult.

Kevin

A Proven Total Construction and Accounting Package

Comments: Very good experience with the product and dealing with support and the knowledgebase. I have been using this product now over 15 years. I have worked for 2 General Contractors during this time and this product has served us well.

Pros:

I like the fact that Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate software (modules) is a total solution for a few different industries, mainly construction. We have all the modules from Job Costing to Payroll to Project Management, etc. We do everything in house. I also like the fact that it integrates with Aatrix for Government and State e-Filing and reporting. That is very nice that it pulls everything from Sage and makes the reporting process seamless and easy. There are many other products that integrate well including MyAssistant.

Cons:

I wish the software was cloud-based which would make upgrading and future improvements much easier and attractive. A smaller investment of hardware and resources would be needed since the server would pretty much be eliminated. Updates would be automatic. Sage does have other products that are cloud-based but this one will not be going that route.

Phil
Director of Programs in US

2+ years in and we are moving on

Comments: Overall, our experience has been negative. Nearly 100% of our users dislike it in comparison to other systems we have used in the past. For the amount of money it has cost us in implementation (over $30k + staff time) and the ongoing maintenance fees (which are more expensive than similar products) we have not had a great experience. Other systems can do the same thing, much more simply, for a lot less money.

Pros:

There is a lot of detail in what you can get out of this software, if you have the labor time to put into it.

Cons:

Ultimately, the software is too cumbersome, difficult for staff to use, training not able to assist us in getting it working well for our organization. Functionality that used to be supported is no longer available with recent updates.

Jay
CONTROLLER in US
Real Estate, 2–10 Employees

Timberline Property Management Software Review

Comments: When we first purchased Timberline in 2002 we were extremely satisfied with the software. Their Customer Support & Third-Party Consultants provided the best & knowledgeable support I have ever been involved with in over 40 years of use. They still provide great support in answering and fixing my problems, but the response time has been degraded. Unfortunately, once Timberline was acquired by Sage, the Real Estate (Property Management) portion of the software seemed to become "orphaned" in favor of the Construction portion of the software and has not "kept up" with today's technology.

Pros:

When we first purchased Timberline Property Management Software 19 years ago, we felt it was the best Property Management Software on the market. It had all the modules we needed at the time and they were tightly integrated to each other. The report designer module made it easy to produce both "canned" and "custom" reports. Bottom line, it fit almost all of our Property Management needs with minimal reliance on third-party software.

Cons:

Timberline Property Management Software was acquired by Sage Software and in my opinion over the years since acquisition, became Sage 300 Construction Software. If you look at the focus of the software today, it seems to be over 95% focused on the Construction industry and only 5% on the Real Estate industry.

Amelia
Construction Accountant in US
Real Estate, 51–200 Employees

Has great features once you learn how to use them

Comments: I like Sage. When I started at my company I had never used it before, now I am more advanced than the rest. For construction with a larger company it makes it easy to organize information. And I REALLY like how it connects with ODBC. I have created 100+ reports in the past 5 years and they make things so much easier.

Pros:

I like how it organizes invoices, how you can customize SOME field name and how you can add customized fields. It connect with ODBC to excel or access with Microsoft query. This comes with the software. And you can make so many live reports that you can refresh with a button. Also the option of make crystal reports.

Cons:

Everything is additional. Crystal reports you have to purchase a license, paperless, each module, etc. This can become frustrating, especially when you have 1 license for AP and try to open it and it says "Someone else is using this". Most people that haven't used it take a long time to understand it. There is a conference but it isn't ran by Sage.

Yinka
Aministrator in UK
E-Learning, 11–50 Employees

Sage 300 Helps Get The Job Done!

Comments: Any large-sized construction enterprise with revenues of $2 million or above should absolutely consider this software. It keeps track of your fixed assets and performs a number of additional robust accounting tasks.

Pros:

dependable software with an excellent and strong support staff. Sage is one of the top market leaders in the field of building software, and its moderate degree of integration complexity with third-party apps makes it a remarkable choice for businesses that already have their Master set well-defined in terms of construction standards.

Cons:

Without the right capacity assessment, total cost of ownership can be prohibitive. By sending your administrators and staff to Sage University for training, you can maximise your investment. Custom features need special consideration from knowledgeable advisors.

Mark
Senior Accountant in US
Accounting, 201–500 Employees

Bang up Piece of Software

Comments: I highly recommend this for anyone who wants to take their accounting system to the next level

Pros:

I would highly recommend this software for any large sized (5 million and above) construction business. It tracks your fixed assets, as well has a variety of other strong accounting functions.

Cons:

This isn't exactly the most user friendly software, and alot of the times it will be people switching from Quickbooks to this software. It may have a steep learning curve.

Matt
PE in US

Great for Accounting and Job Cost Function; Not so much for Project Management

Pros:

You're able to have custom reports associated with cost reporting for projects.

Cons:

The Project Management software needs some work to be integrated and functional. The user interface is basic and could be updated to be more user friendly.

Kim
Accounting Manager in US
Real Estate, 2–10 Employees

Good with Property Management, Mediocre with Accounting

Comments: Whereas Sage 300 CRE does have some good functionality for property management, we are also suffering from poor accounting functionality. Some days I'm happy with the software, some days not so much.

Pros:

I like the Property Management side of Sage - our office manages a number of commercial real estate properties, and we are able to track the leases, and the PM side of things does link in with the accounting side of things. And I know there are more features in the PM side that we don't even use.

Cons:

Sage 300 CRE does not mix well with any outside software. We recently took over management of a dozen new properties and we had to manually input all the data to get the new companies in our system. There was no reasonable import feature available. We could have paid someone thousands of dollars to bring basic information into the system for us, but what they could import was not everything we'd need, and there would be no previous year data option. That was frustrating. And the accounting system is also lacking. As much as all of the modules to integrate with each other, the accounting system does not perform to my expectations. And if you want to export a report into Excel, forget it! Sure it will export the data, but not in any kind of usable format! The numbers don't export as numbers, the formatting is all skewed. I just found out that there is a 'third party' software to use as a fix, but I just spent $2500 on that fix and found out that if we want to export the income statement and balance sheet, that is an extra $800. I'm not happy with the accounting system.

Dee
COO in US

Needs More User Friendly Features

Comments: We would not purchase it again and would prefer to go back to our old system, but we've invested too much to do that at this time.

Pros:

Widely universal so integration software more readily available with management systems and customer relation software.

Cons:

We came from ComputerEase, which is very user friendly. Sage appears to be outdated. The installation and upgrade process is very time consuming and for most would require hiring their services to install or your IT personnel. The biggest issue we have is the font size. If you try to change the font size in your screen, the windows will distort and you cannot access certain information within Sage, so it strains your eyes to view the information. My other big concern, is that when processing applications for payment within Billing, it will allow you to go over 100% on a scheduled line. If you don't manually check via print preview, you can very likely overbill. Additionally, when voiding applications, there are some major hassles when it comes to stored materials on jobs that don't carry over stored each month. Lastly, if you do not post in the order and timeframe that you are trained to do, it results in a large hassle and time-consuming elimination process. There are several other items that are not favorable, but these are the top ones on our mind most frequently.

3 years ago

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on Sage products and services. We strive to deliver the best experience possible for Sage customers. We would welcome the opportunity to connect with you to better understand how we can exceed your expectations in the future.

Kristin
Office Manager in
Construction, 2–10 Employees

Sage is complex, amazing and expensive.

Comments: If I wasn't working such long and demanding hours, I would like to look into Sage University educational opportunities...as I do believe many questions I STILL have, could be answered there. ONE THING that would be useful, IMHO, would be a detailed listing of the online classes/tutorials that are available, and the list of topics/subjects that they deal with.

Pros:

Sage is an amazing product, with so MANY complex programs and modules. There are (literally) dozens of reports and functions that I still know little to nothing about (after 3 yrs of working with the product). It's got everything a general contract would ever need, and then some. Customer support (GOLD) is awesome (tho expensive) . 99% of the time, I have had pleasant, knowledgeable, helpful, experienced assistance from Customer Support. The individuals who work in Customer Support helped me make it that first year, and there is no question of that. Their patience and their availability (and their sense of humor) helped me retain my sanity, that first year (04/14 - 04/15)....hands down.

Cons:

The complexity of it....each module is multi-faceted and highly complex (and complicated). If a person comes on the scene (such as myself) with no prior construction experience, it's very difficult to simply "pick it up". Also, In order to have Gold Support (a genuine necessity, unless the office employee has a degree in accounting...OR...10 years of prior construction experience) is very expensive. We are a small construction company, and the thousands of dollars we pay, each year, for Gold Support, is not an easy check to write.

Data entry intensive

Comments: Forced to use it due to the initial cost. We are looking to replace at the earliest sensible moment.

Pros:

It does integrate with many other programs. With the right knowledge, it can be very flexible in reporting. The support is also much better than most programs.

Cons:

Constant and repetitive data entry. Just a few examples... To record payment of multiple POs electronically, the Sage requires individual acceptance for each PO. So when paying 45 POs with one ACH transaction, Sage requires over 100 individual clicks of the mouse as well in addition to keyboard input. Data entry often requires both mouse and keyboard input, making it slower. If you make a mistake on a date entry, (like accidentally entering Dec 45th) there is no indication. No popup, no change of color on the field, nothing. You eventually just have to realize what happened. With acct #s or Job #s, there is a pop up to say it didn't recognize the input. With general ledger entry, Sage does not automatically fill in an amount to balance the transaction. You have enter each line. Seems silly, but that one feature would save many hours over a year. Every other accounting program I have ever used in over 30 years will default to the amount needed to balance the entry, and you merely type over it as you go, but its right there for that last line when you do need it. Just simple, easy, things that could be done that in many years of development have never been fixed.

Mike
President in US

Falling Behind the times

Comments: I have used The full suite of Sage 300CRE products long before Timberline was acquired by Sage. Unfortunately it seems that innovation and product/feature development has been very slow since the acquisition by Sage. My biggest complaint over the past 5-years is the lack of web access, which in this day and age is unacceptable, especially in a collaborative environment such as construction. This is why we have transitioned from the PM module to Procore. Fortunately Procore is fairly compatible with Sage300 CRE accounting. It’s just a shame that Sage couldn’t keep up with the times and get a cloud based PM product to market in a timely manner.

Pros:

Sage 300 cre is robust. It can be all encompassing with “modules”. From Estimating (which is an excellent product) through the accounting modules to project management, the workflow is pretty seamless.

Cons:

The annual maintenance cost for a product that is not SAS is pretty high. It is not clouds accessible and project management modules has fallen behind the times, especially compared to a product like procore.

3 years ago

Thank you for submitting a product review. Your feedback is invaluable to the continued improvement of products and services from Sage.

Ahmed
Planning and project control engineer in Jordan
Construction, 1,001–5,000 Employees

The best applications for accurate accounting of supply chains

Comments: Sage 300 keep all supply chain tracking processes on track from the start until after the work is completed, which gives assurances to all supply chain participants that their entitlements and rights are known and thus facilitates transparent settlements.

Pros:

It is a comprehensive accounting program, useful for conducting audits and reviews of all accounts of suppliers (creditor and debtor). It integrates with many software that is used in project management, enabling users to apply comprehensive management concepts to their projects. I like very much the ease of setup, commensurate with the needs of the project, and its integration with many applications relieves you of double entry and enables you to import or export data as needed. With Sage 300, you will be able to accurately prepare the accounting lists for your supply chains, as you will be able to know the balance of any of the suppliers and delivery dates directly and without the need to search in invoices and files.

Cons:

All is well and after hours of training you will be able to use it efficiently, just needs some updates to the display and some colors to get a more modern look. The program's speed must also be increased so that you can exploit more than one window at the same time.

Michelle
Construction, 1,001–5,000 Employees

User for 25+ years

Comments: Overall, my experience has been very positive. Other peers, and our external auditors, are amazed at how quickly a company our size can complete month-end and year-end procedures and how detailed we can get our reporting.

Pros:

One of the best things about the software is that the core applications were designed together, unlike other software that tries to integrate applications from several sources. So, Job Cost, Payroll, AP, AR GL and CM flow together very well. Also, the software was originally designed specific to the construction industry so it really incorporates most of the financial needs of our industry.

Cons:

We are running into issues in payroll due to the size of our current file. We are subject to job audits and we have many large projects so we like to keep several years' data in one file. However, Aatrix is not able to generate quarterly reports without archiving some payroll data. Also, it's really nice to have the ability to post to future GL periods. It would be even nicer to be able to roll FORWARD for financial statement the way we can roll back.

Valerie
US
Construction
Used the Software for: Not provided

Stay away!

Pros:

The Project Management portion works fairly well. The reports are very clunky and hard to work with, but it's possible to get the info you need.

Cons:

The accounting side of this software is horrible! Did you know that you can have a negative debit and negative credit? That's just part of the nightmare. If you want to see all entries going through both AP and AR, they only show up as summary entries. There is no detail as to vendor, invoice # or anything other than the date and amount. It groups AP entries together into batches depending on how you post. If you post 10 invoices in one AP session, it will group all 10 invoice amounts into one lump sum in the AP gl. Even if you go through the tedious process of posting everything individually, you'll still only have an amount to look at. There is no journal like in QuickBooks and Simply Accounting, so there's no possible way to see what was posted during any given timeframe. Nothing is intuitive and everything takes longer than it should. God forbid you need to reverse something. We always had to call the support line to get help, as it was not easy. Sometimes it glitches and values don't get posted from one module into another. Again, you have to stay on your toes to try and avoid this from happening. Phone support is expensive, and good luck trying to do anything without it. I have now switched back to Quickbooks and export my job costs over once per month into the Job Costs module. We spent a lot to switch to this software (including training), so that decision was not made lightly. It was a bit of a pain, but way less painful than having to stress everyday about how to find something, how to reverse something, or how to figure out where something was posted. I'm very technically advanced and I managed, but it wasn't easy. Accounting isn't difficult, and Sage 300 seems to go out of it's way to over complicate the simplest things. Payroll in Quickbooks takes me 30 minutes. Payroll in Sage 300 took me 3 hours. The software is like playing a computer game on a PS4 and then playing on an Atari, seriously!

Anita
Accountant in US

A believer.....

Comments: I have over 35 years experience as an account and experience with Sage less than one year. There was a significant learning curve; however, the support team is the greatest! I miss the ability to drill down into a transaction by point and click, but with this being said, I do not miss the out of balance journals/registers caused by this point and click. I came on board with this employer mid June 2020. My first impression was I hated Sage! I even contacted prior software company I had over 25 years experience with and asked them to get me a product to work with... their response "you have the best software for your industry...we can't touch it".... So, I had to pull up my big girl pants and learn Sage. Almost a year in and I feel very comfortable with this software for multiple reasons. First, their support team has been most helpful in assisting me with issues; sometimes *often* fixing my issues; and making sure I understand the steps to take to remedy these issues. Second, Sage is a very stable software. It can handle changes in payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable, and general ledger without having a melt down. (Prior software.....*well known program*... ledgers would suddenly not balance, payroll would be out of whack, etc... long hours tracking these out of balance issues) Lastly, Sage made me realize I am never too old to learn something new. This is the program you want for your construction company.

Pros:

The job costing of Sage 300 is phenomenal.

Cons:

There was a significant learning curve when migrating from prior software to Sage.

Dani
Project Coordinator in

Robust by antiquated

Comments: Sage 300 CRE is a very detailed system but needs a complete revamping. It is able to store a lot of pieces of information, but getting them out of the system require a lot of work. When I evaluate software, I look at how many steps (clicks) it takes to accomplish my task. Sage is the absolute worst of all the software options available. Unfortunately our accounting has been using it forever and the cost to change would be too expensive right now. It can best be described as a Windows 95 database because that's what I think of every time I have to use it.

Pros:

Able to store a vast amount of information. Everything is broken down into modules and works well with multiple users. Does allow for customization of certain tables and modules.

Cons:

Requires too much work to get to what I need. Tables of data cannot be sorted. For example, a list of contacts on a project cannot be sorted. They are listed in order of entry, which means I have to scroll through an entire list to find a contact. Same goes for some drop down lists. If I don't know the person's name, I can't search. I have to scroll through the list one click at a time because the scroll bars on the side don't scroll proportionally. One click on a side scroll bar takes you down 75% of the bar even if the list is really long. Getting information from the system requires customized reports, which you either pay for or get trained in Crystal Reports. I used to use Quickbooks Enterprise and was able to get more relevant information faster and easier than I do from Sage. Some of the screens can be expanded but do not show more information. It just creates more blank space so I spend a lot of time scrolling to get to what I need. The system as a whole is very out-dated. Search options are very basic...can't search for MEDICAL if the contact is entered as GREATER AREA MEDICAL CENTER. You would have to know it starts with GREATER AREA.

Ken
Chief Financial Officer in US
Real Estate, 51–200 Employees

Missing some basic functionality

Comments: I don't use the construction-specific components of this software (e.g. Job Costing) and, therefore, what's left is a very basic system which omits standard functionality found in other systems. In addition to the above, we have multiple databases setup which do not talk to each other, requiring key tables like vendor lists to be maintained in multiple places. This may be the result of bad advice from our consultant, but since they're supposed to be Sage experts, I think that reflects poorly on Sage as well.

Pros:

The Sage Desktop makes it easy to maneuver in the software. It's fairly easy to import and export data.

Cons:

Need separate software to print checks (not native to Sage). Not able to drill-down in reports. Difficulty with handling multiple users - when one user is viewing a report on screen, other users cannot login. Future period balance sheets which cross a fiscal year are difficult to create because of how retained earnings is posted. Unable to tell the current period when entering report parameters.

Janna
Construction, 51–200 Employees

Catch up with the present!

Comments: Having worked with several different programs, for the most part, it is no worse or better than another. They all have their issues, but Sage is definitely not a program you can just 'step into'.

Pros:

It was in place when I started working here and is fairly easy to use once you learn the quirks. It does well for Job Cost Accounting.

Cons:

The fact that simple things, like making a GL account inactive are not available. We have been using this software for MANY years and the fact that we cannot remove unneeded accounts, payroll deductions, and codes is ridiculous! It makes it cumbersome and a nightmare to pull some reports! The fact that SAGE ERP doesn't even talk to SAGE Accounting says a LOT!

Glen
Construction, 201–500 Employees

Review

Comments: We've been contemplating purchasing additional modules/products for some time now, such as the paperless invoice routing and the project manager module, but we haven't because we can't get a live demo to go over the features of each. I have some users, especially with the project manager module, who need to see a demo of the software and be able to ask questions. I know you have videos that we can watch, but the operations managers are not going to stop and watch them. I also know that you have spec sheets available, but some people are old-fashioned and they want a live demo where they can ask questions and see how it works. We've been looking at the paperless invoice system for about 4 years, and the project manager module for about one year, and I think we would purchase both of them if we could reach a level of comfort.

Pros:

It's mostly easy to use. Ease of use.

Cons:

I have complaints from some of the users that some reports don't total correctly.

Kathy
Construction, 201–500 Employees

Sage 300

Comments: I have always believed in the product. Enough that I worked as a consulting for 9 years.

Pros:

I like the way that these modules cover most of the activities that I need. Reporting flexibility and program stability have always been good.

Cons:

I would like to see scheduling features included, purchasing fully integrated, eventually cloud-based. I would like to be able to make g/l accounts inactive. I have been having problems with module licenses and .lck. It needs updating to compete with newer programs and contact with support almost always requires a 45 minute wait.

Barbara
Accounting Department Manager in US
Commercial Real Estate, 11–50 Employees

Stale software at a high annual maintenance price

Pros:

Easy to add multiple companies and track each separately.

Cons:

Software is stale, interface hasn't been updated for as long as we've used it (since 1997). Instead of updating the software, they force you to buy additional modules, or programs written by other companies. Cost of annual maintenance is extremely high, considering there are really no updates to the software that a typical user would notice. Getting reports for what you need is difficult. Custom reports have to be done by others at a cost because the software is so difficult to use (Crystal). Canned reports are terrible and have to be re-written in order to get the correct information. Service Management was sold to us with the promise it would be updated and modernized. It hasn't changed a bit in 20 years!