15 years helping Irish businesses

About Quicken

Rental property and personal finances management solution with tenant information tracking, income management, and expense tracking.

Learn more about Quicken

Pros:

Every updated gets better. I love to be able to track every dollar I spend, and can categorize it.

Cons:

Also, when I bought the CD I could keep up with my loans and investments. Now you have to pay quite a bit more to do that.

Quicken ratings

3.9
3.5
3.9
3.7

7.1/10

Quicken has an overall rating of 3.9 out 5 stars based on 411 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Quicken before?

Susan
Susan
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed

Ideal for My Solorpreneur Marketing Consulting Business

Comments: I am very pleased with the ease of entering data into the system. It saves me the cost of having a bookkeeper. I am able to categorize expenses myself and take full advantage of knowing what i was buying for business and for personal life. I know it is saving my a lot on my taxes, as I have proof of my deductions versus just guessing. It used to take me days to prepare my docs for my CPA not it is in a matter of hours I have all the numbers she will need.

Pros:

The best feature I like is the way you can split items on a receipt into their own categories. For example, I go to Walgreens and buy cosmetics, copy paper, thank you notes, and business head shot photo prints. I enter Walgreens for the Payee, then I assign / split where the expenses will go in my categories. Cosmetic - Personal Care, Copy Paper, thank you notes - Business: Office Supplies, Photo prints - Business: Photography. I make my tax reporting a breeze for my Schedule C line items. I also love generating reports on income and expenses. Great for planning or estimating funds for seasonal work loads.

Cons:

It actually has more features than I want to use. For example - the investment section, I tried to use it - but to enter buy - sell information and dividends and details was way too time consuming for me. I just as soon get my reports from my brokerage firm.

Emerson
President/Owner in Mexico
Staffing & Recruiting, Self Employed

Have used it for years, still liking it!

Comments: Good, easy tool to track your money, some technical issues with downloading.

Pros:

Quicken quickly and efficiently tracks all my spending, earning and investments, and I have been able to link most of my accounts so it does it automatically.

Cons:

Not all accounts can be linked, especially not international ones. And occasionally it has brought in duplicate transactions which are a nightmare to reconcile.

Grant Bentley
Teacher in Canada
E-Learning, Self Employed

Excellent for Blended families and small business

Comments: My only issue getting started was 'Adding' an account. Followed every step to frustration almost cancelling subscription. Finally I phoned customer service and they were amazing! Took over screen and walked me through. Ended up being my display on the Mac, once corrected worked great!

Pros:

For $80 Cdn / year this is a fantastic program for blended families with multiple sources of income and complicated expenditures that require organizing. As a lay financial planner, with a rental property and a second marriage, I have spent way too much time trying to organize the finances. What has taken me literally days to do on a spreadsheet has taken me 3 or 4 hours on Quicken. Monthly expenditures and small business management will likely take me 2 to 3 hours a month now, at most. Once you organize your Transaction Payees into Categories (a few hours the first time) you never need to do that step again! Spending charts / pie graphs are clear and 'quickly' ... you know where the money is going, almost to the moment. The program was super easy to show my wife how it works and unnecessary stressors have been eliminated.

Cons:

I say almost because transactions from the bank are not simultaneously dropped into your application. Even if you update the account (refresh) it can take time for the new transactions to show up. Apparently the web app doesn't have this issue but the downloaded desk top version does. For me, no issue, but for someone who requires immediate updates it might be a problem.

Doug
owner in US
Real Estate, Self Employed

Poor Customer service

2.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: I have used Quicken for more than 10 years. In the past few years, the Quality of the updates has been poor and the price has gone up. Customer service has declined in Boise office. Guatemala service is better but still language problem. Do not start with Quicken Home and Business!
Letter to the current [sensitive content hidden] of Quicken
I have contacted Quicken, according to your records at least 6 times this year 2024. I have been a customer for at least a dozen years.
The problem was finally resolved today 3/11/2024. It was related to files that go back in time and or the size of the file. I cannot imagine it is the size nor the date, it just does not make sense to me. However today, thanks to a person in Guatemala it was resolved after approx 2 hrs.
I really am upset that after speaking with a person in Boise last week for almost 2 hrs (#10890242) I was told it was an issue with my computer. I believed him, because I had spoken with numerous to Quicken support on that issue and the renaming error issue.
I have spoken with [sensitive content hidden] at your Boise office and they have extended my subscription for 6 mos.That is the best they can do for me! [sensitive content hidden], did confirm when looking at the notes I was told by the agent. That it was a problem with my computer blocking and I should take it in and get it checked. I did take it in!
But going back to the issue of my time and not correct advice, I spent $175.00 to have my computer checked, I was told by your employee that was the issue. It was not, according to [sensitive content hidden], the correct procedure was to escalate the problem. That was not done according to the notes, case #10890242. If it would have been escalated, I would not have incurred the expense. I still would have 15 or 20 hours of my time.
I have to keep Quicken to run the rental properties I own. I need the data in case I am audited. So I would have to switch to another program or continue with Quicken. I would prefer to stay as switching would require substantial time and effort for a 74 year old person.
My time and for that part yours, on the support time is probably 15 hours or more. That does not include my hold time or the issue that I now have to add back all the passwords to the institutions and double check to make sure there are no issues.

If you do not think that is fair, then I will have no choice but to continue with Quicken. But I will let other users know of my difficulties when they choose companies like yourself.
I do hope this note will help you in the future, as far as training and obvious flaws in the computer program.
I have run many companies including a number of my own. It is not the money, it is my time! I also always wanted feedback from my customers to help me improve my companies and our services. I am sure you also want that for your many companies.

Pros:

Was easy now difficult especially after updates

Cons:

The value has gone out the window, I think this happened when they were bought

KAYLA JANE
DIRECTOR in US
Wholesale, 11–50 Employees

Quicken is OK but not the end-all solution

Comments: Quicken keeps me organized for personal use but there are always additional steps when it comes to business. I use it for two small businesses, both of which require sending the transactions and reports from Quicken to external accountants. This program is best for individual use, and managing your own transactions unrelated to owning any business.

Pros:

I like the ability to organize and ease of us. I like the connectivity to other websites, accessibility from many platforms, and simply layout. Quicken is ideal for transaction management.

Cons:

Quicken provides information but generating taxes, tracking capital equipment, really anything beyond the bare bones - is another investment in different software or an accountant.

Aryana
Founder in US
Consumer Services, Self Employed

quicken is inexpensive but has errors

Comments: I liked the price and the short learning curve to get up and running. I liked the flexible reporting available. There was a lot of trouble importing transactions which is why I stopped using it. It wouldn't import automatically and I had to download from the bank and Paypal and then upload.

Stefanie
Accounting, 2–10 Employees

Quicken Keep it SIMPLE Get it Done

Comments: Easy to use, simplified and better that QuickBooks when it comes to smaller businesses.

Pros:

Quicken has everything needs for a small business. You won't get confused with unnecessary tabs and areas and you will find evet daily that is needed to track your business finances from cost to profit

Cons:

If you are a mid or larger size business, quicken is not for you.

Individual & Family Services, Self Employed

Good software but poor customer support for Canadians

Comments: Poor. On-going yearly subscription keeps going up significantly. Have to look for another software to replace it.

Pros:

Ease of use. Easy to download data from bank sites.

Cons:

Very poor customer support. Had to use US number to call and had to pay a big bill. Very poorly supported for Canadians.

Donald
Broker in US
Real Estate, 11–50 Employees

Solid for Small Business

Pros:

Quicken is widley used, easily syncing to major banks and platforms. Big company with broad support.

Cons:

Some of the syncing and getring reports can be slightly confusing.

Erin
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed

Not robust enough for my needs

4.0 2 months ago New

Comments: It was good to start but did not meet my needs long term.

Pros:

It was a great product when I first started my business as it was simple and cost effective. It was a great way to level up from just using spreadsheets for a small business owner.

Cons:

As my business grew, I needed a lot more control over tracking the details of billing, and for paying vendors and contractors. My accountant insisted that I move over to Quickbooks because I had a lot of moving pieces and I needed to keep everything running smoothly.

Peter
Enterprise Achitect in Australia
Computer Software, Self Employed

30-Year Quicken User

Comments: Intuit is so exploitive, that I would actually consider them to be immoral and I have tried many times to move to a different product, but they make it very difficult.

Pros:

Of the personal finance managers, Quicken is probably the best. Other packages at or below this cost lack a majority of their features and in order to get them, you would have to upgrade to a much more expensive package, so it is at a price sweet spot.

Cons:

I've been using Quicken since 1992 and consider myself quite familiar with the package. The Quicken business model is and always has been exploitive and has been adding and subtracting features for years in an attempt to always have a new product to sell. Their current subscription model is no different. However, they never improve the product. There are bugs still there that have been there since the 90's. They're reports and windows do not zoom. They do not use Windows conventions, for example keystrokes. When working properly, it provides a lot of value, but it is very easy to introduce errors into the data and impossible to fix them. Their customer support is an absolute joke. It's normally a 40-minute queue to talk to an idiot and they are so propaganda driven, that they delete any negative posts or reviews from their sites and their forum. They purposely obstruct you from transferring to their competitors. I myself have had to purchase 7 versions of the program since 2000 and that's BEFORE they moved to a subscription model. Every release introduces more bugs, but they make it impossible to freeze a particular version, constantly cutting off web access and they have Upgrade Nags constantly that you can't get rid of. And they are entirely shameless about it.

Debbie
Manager in New Zealand
Health, Wellness & Fitness, Self Employed

Quicken from a Person who is not techie

Comments: - Quicken can help businesses track their income and expenses, so they can identify areas where they can save money. - Quicken can help businesses track investments and generate reports to help them make informed decisions. - Quicken can help businesses keep track of their customer invoices and payments, so they can accurately manage their cash flow. - Quicken can help businesses manage their payroll and taxes, so they can stay compliant with the law. Benefits- Quicken can help businesses save time by automating mundane tasks. - Quicken can help businesses reduce costs by streamlining their accounting processes. - Quicken can help businesses make more informed decisions by providing detailed financial reports and analysis. - Quicken can help businesses stay organized and efficient by providing access to all of their financial information in one place.

Pros:

- Quicken is a comprehensive financial software package that can help users manage their finances in one place. - Quicken allows users to track their income and expenses, create budgets, and manage investments. - It also provides tools to track investments and create financial reports. - Quicken makes it easy to track and categorize spending, so users can identify potential areas of savings.

Cons:

- Quicken can be expensive, and some of its features may be too complex for beginners. - Quicken may be difficult to use for those who are not familiar with computers or accounting software. - Quicken does not integrate with other accounting software, so users must manually enter data.

Jen
rental manager in
Real Estate, 2–10 Employees

Great for general accounting...

Comments: We have 65+ rental properties. I had waited to enter them into the rental property part until I worked out the kinks of the accounting part. I had issues with bank connectivity and then mobile sync was not working properly. After I got that fixed, I decided that in January I would start entering in my tenant's info. Here are my problems:
1. Most of our houses are section 8 which means 2 checks and NO, you can not just have 1 housing payment that you split into your houses and have those apply to your tenants. you HAVE TO MAKE A SEPARATE TENANT for EACH house labeled section 8 (or what ever) and house number or something to uniquely identify it. PAINFUL!!!!!!!
2. Lets say you have an invoice from Vendor A and they have invoiced you for 3 properties. You have to put the invoice on the tenant side (each invoice to each house) then when you go to pay Vendor A- it prints multiple checks. Not just one check or an option to pay several invoices for vendor A. THAT IS CRAZY!!! (For me it was going to print 10 checks to the same vendor. I then went to the banking side and made a check, tagging each property which then printed one check but the system did not enter the charges into the tenants side. So you need to do double entry. WHO HAS TIME FOR THAT?
I called customer service-super nice but spent SEVERAL hours trying to get it figured out. They ended up saying how terrible it was.
3. There are no useful reports.
Bottom Line:
I ended up going with a property management software. I interviewed Builidium, Appfolio, and a few others. Expensive but hopefully it will help me out in the long run. Anything is better than this.

Pros:

easy to change the payee/category/tag

Cons:

see above

melissa
Secretary in US
Retail, 2–10 Employees

RENEW SUBSCRIPTION REMINDER

Comments: WAS A VERY HAPPY USER FOR 21 YEARS.....NOT NOW!! THEY SHOULD ADVERTISE IF YOU DO NOT PURCHACE THE MEMBERSHIP THEY WILL MAKE YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH THE SOFTWARE NOT USER FRIENDLY. IF YOU ARE A BUSINESS LIKE MINE THAT YOU DO NOT INTEND TO DOWNLOAD INFORMATION FROM ONLINE....YOU MAY WANT TO CONSIDER A DIFFERENT PROGRAM BECAUSE THEY ARE TAKING UP YOUR SCREEN SPACE WITH ADVERTISEMENTS.

Pros:

I HAVE BEEN A QUICKEN USER (MOSTLY 2004 VERSION)FOR OVER 21 YEARS. I FINALLY SAID I SHOULD UPDATE MY QUICKEN PROGRAM. THAT BEING SAID I UPDATED TO 2019 VERSION. THE PROGRAM IS WHAT I EXPECTED TILL THE TRIAL MEMBERSHIP RAN OUT THAT THEY GIVE YOU FOR PURCHACING THE PROGRAM. I DO NOT NEED ANY DOWNLOADS FROM BANKS ETC. I ENTER ALL MY INFORMATION MANUALLY. THEY SAY YOU DO NOT NEED TO PURCHACE ANY ADDITIONAL MEMBERSHIP IF YOU WANT TO ENTER MANUALLY.

Cons:

THEY TAKE UP YOUR AVAILABLE SCREEN SPACE WITH A LARGE BANNER ADVERTISING TO RENEW YOUR MEMBERSHIP. SO NOW YOU CANNOT USE THE SCREEN SPACE AND SEE YOUR BALANCES AND OTHER INFORMATION EASILY. MEMBERSHIP IS $89 A YEAR. THAT IS A HEAVY COST TO PAY TO REMOVE THEIR ADVERTISEMENT FROM MY SCREEN!!!!

Thandile
Freelancer in South Africa
Entertainment, 2–10 Employees

Extraordinary for following your financial status, all around incredible.

Comments: Exceptional for getting your records all together and starting to see elevated perspective where you and your money is. I could have done without the evaporated features before my last update yet i'm adequate now. It's one of my essential applications!

Pros:

It's a direct mechanical assembly to use for most business structures fit for managing trades, taking everything into account, and repeat. It is the best product (in my opinion) to follow records, adventures and business pay/expenses in all cases spot and on your work region rather than having that information simply on the web. Having the option to see each record in one spot truly permits you to all the more likely control your funds and spending plan. It's absolutely the best.

Cons:

What I have gotten extremely astounded with is the marking in and my intuit ID. At whatever point the systems logs me out, for no good reason, whenever I log back in, it just doesn't take me to my standard page, it makes another page and new record for me. It's terrifying and it has been occurring even more once in a while. In like manner, I do feel the spending section of the application could use some work. I genuinely cherished it as a matter of first importance, however at this point it is fairly a desolation to use and have not used it since.

Luis
Physician in US
Civic & Social Organization, 201–500 Employees

Quicken has lost its way

Pros:

Quicken allows for standard management of finances and in the deluxe version has a host of features including budget management, investement management, and more.

Cons:

The problem with Quicken in today's age is that it has passed through many corporate hands and the core problems have never been fully addressed. The system is glitchy. The connections to banks and financial institutions are sometimes inaccurate. But worst of all, the platform has changed to a subscription model where previously owning the software allowed for many years of use. After an "update" in the fall of 2017, my 2016 version stopped working. Online support stated it was a problem with the update and we needed to reinstall, but when we did we could no longer download our transactions. This was a scheming and greedy way for Quicken to try to push users into the 2018 subscription model. With that kind of treatment of it's customers, I'd recommend you go elsewhere.

Lynn
Arts & Crafts, Self Employed

Don't give up - it's probably worth it.

Comments: I had used many different types of accounting software for small and large businesses. So when I wanted a software program for my own purposes, and to grow from our personal finances into a small side business, I expected to use Quickbooks because I was familiar. Someone recommended Quicken. I tried to set it up 3 times in a free trial period, but it seemed very difficult, so I let it slide. One slow day, I persevered and completed the set up. Thank goodness I did. Once the set up is complete, the functioning is so much smoother and easier than Quickbooks was for my purposes. I'm so glad I didn't give up. I am saving time and money by using Quicken now. Well worth the effort in the set up.

Pros:

The functionality has impressed me. It's bill pay feature is better than I had anticipated, and it's layout and easy viewing is making it one of my new favorite accounting software programs - and I've had many. I didn't think I would want to stray from Quickbooks, but 3 months in and I am thinking I may not want to ever go back. Correction.... I am thinking I may not ever NEED to go back.

Cons:

I was a little overwhelmed in the set up - which is why I set up my accounts in the free trial 3 times and let it sit for months. It seemed too daunting and I was scared it would be way too complex and difficult to navigate. I just didn't give it chance. Once you get past the start, it's way easier, I believe, than Quickbooks. Simpler, so it may not be for everyone, but it is for my purposes.

Tina
Administrator in US

100% UNRELIABLE - prepare for lost data and hours of rework

Comments: if you are considering purchasing this software, run like the wind

Pros:

I like that I can create different accounts and it's somewhat easy to do searches and run reports for my rental expenses. I was happy with the software for about the 1st month I had it.

Cons:

This is hands down, the most buggy software I've ever used. I use the mobile app to input receipts and then I sync with the desktop.. only I find myself on the phone with Quicken support almost every single time I use it because it won't sync to the cloud properly. Sometimes I get errors, other times, not all the receipts transfer over and they often have to reset my cloud which deletes hours worth of work i've put in. What's the best thing EVER??? Trying to find what data was deleted and starting all over again... yeah, my worst freakin fear. This software is EXACTLY my worst fear. completly 100% unreliable. I would go to a competitor in an instant if I could find an alternative and I look all the time. Maybe Neatworks.

Ruben
Consultant Engineer in Dominican Republic
Logistics & Supply Chain, 11–50 Employees

Another all-time favorite agonizes in the mobile era

Comments: Quicken needs to move faster to mobile and cloud if it really wants to survive.
100% integration with QuickBooks, additional security features, support for more cloud backup providers are features that should be already available but are no show.
Intuit own's Mint App is an example of how Quicken should be but, for some reason, they have decided to continue working on the same outdated software instead of relaunching.
Still, Quicken is a big respected brand in the financial software world that continues to be one of my favorites.

Pros:

- A longtime runner with a big user fan base - The very familiar interface allows old users to upgrade without a steep learning curve - Very similar Mac and Windows version allows painless platform switch - Supports most banks and account syncing in The US - Does not require a monthly or annual fee

Cons:

- The interface is beginning to look a bit outdated compared to new mobile apps available for iOS and Android - No equivalent mobile version available - Cloud syncing and backup is limited and not easy to setup (dropbox required) - Version to version upgrades sometimes include little to no enough new features for the price (That's why some users are still using 5-8 years old versions)

Just works

Comments: Works and just is what I need for my small business.

Pros:

I have been using quickens for a very long time, it works for my needs. I run a simple company and do not use many of the features that are provided. The one feature that I do like the most is being able to download from the bank to the program to make sure I have the correct balance. However, when you send out a check sometimes via the bank check program it may post twice when written then when cashed. Just something to keep in mind. It also works for when I need to start and complete my taxes.

Cons:

When you send out a check sometimes via the bank check program it may post twice when written then when cashed.

Business & Rental Mgmt

Pros:

It keeps up with my rental expenses as well as my business

Cons:

It takes a while to figure out but customer service is helpful

Law Practice, 2–10 Employees

Not nearly as good as the Quicken of old before sold by Intuit

Comments: I have been using Quicken for decades and it was always wonderful software. Since Intuit sold out Quicken simply has far more bugs, does not work nearly as well as the prior versions. Its too late for me to switch, but if you are starting out in your own business, consider whatever alternatives out there are available before getting bogged down with this now very buggy product. Its the old cliche I guess, "if it ain't broke don't fix it". Of course this new company had to change everything up, in particular the reports function and now I find it misses transactions often enough that I don't trust the software for accuracy.

Pros:

It does its job though not nearly as well as the older versions

Cons:

Very, very buggy and far more difficult to use than the older version

Owner in
Management Consulting, Self Employed

Quicken

Comments: Still one of the easier desktop bookkeeping software to use.
Too bad no one else can create a competitive desktop bookkeeping software for the general public.
Many competitors created only an online version which can be Useless if something happens to your PC or you don't have power or an internet connection!
Worse, there's a monthly fee for their online versions!

Pros:

Relatively simple to use as the basic program is basically an electronic version of a check register. Many financial institutions have a Quicken export function for its online banking feature making bank reconciliation a bit easier.

Cons:

Don't need to use other features like investment tracker which is essentially useless for most other people Intuit FORCES people to set up an ONLINE account to link the program to, mainly for tracking and marketing purposes which is complete BS! Update function has moved over the years that it's not as simple to just click 'update' anymore JUST to update Quicken and NOTHING else! Be careful about importing information as it may not import 100% of the banking information, similar to QB. Intuit keeps marketing you to join its other financial services!

Financial Services, 2–10 Employees

Quicken is great

Comments: It has been massively helpful with personal finance and keeping track of bank account balances.

Pros:

I like Quicken for how it's fairly easy to set things up. I prefer manual sync since I prefer creating payees on my own, but it gives me a pretty good view of my expenses and the stocks I have.

Cons:

I'm not a fan of the subscription pricing, but to their credit Quicken did credit me a discount when I asked them after initially purchasing the software without one. I do wish the budgeting was a bit better as it's not perfect, and sometimes I feel like the direct bank sync can be a bit wonky when it comes to sharing information.

Claudia
Technical Writer in US

Great for tracking your financial status, but needs improvement

Pros:

I've been using Quicken since 1988, so I'm very familiar with it. You can easily track checking, credit card and savings accounts. Quicken partners with thousands of banks and financial institutions so you can download your activity rather than having to manually enter it. It makes balancing your checkbook a breeze! It is rare for it to not reconcile correctly, and when that happens, it is invariably a mistake I made. You can also use it to track investments, create budgets, run reports. I use the Home and Business version which lets me track business activity separately from personal activity. I keep track of my rental property, which makes it very easy to file a schedule C come tax time. It's been an invaluable tool for me over the years and has helped me meet my financial goals.

Cons:

In the last several years, the quality of the software was an issue. Lots of annoying bugs and crashes. Fortunately the company is addressing these issues.