15 years helping Irish businesses

About Canopy

Accounting practice management software built to empower accounting firms to spend more time helping their clients succeed.

Learn more about Canopy

Pros:

The software is cloud based and therefore easy to access.

Canopy ratings

4.5
4.4
4.3
4.2

8.4/10

Canopy has an overall rating of 4.5 out 5 stars based on 221 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Canopy before?

Steven R
Steven R
Director of Business Engagement in US

"The future is now!"

Comments: Saves us time with client and task tracking. No more chasing spreadsheets and lists.

Pros:

Extremely responsive customer service with lots of great customization to help keep your workflow on task. One stop shop to keep track of your workflow while maintaining client data and files. Endless opportunities due to constant upgrades and add-ons. We are currently migrating our entire firm onto the platform and utilizing the client portal feature to exchange information and save on printing, customer requests and storage options. Most impressive is their constant interaction asking how they can improve and getting feedback on new features.

Cons:

I really don't have any dislikes, and if something is a little clunky with a layout or usability they are usually upgrading or fixing it. I'm excited to see tax software so I guess I dislike not having it? The tax software would plug another hole and add well to the transcript and tax form resolution features.

Juventino
Juventino
Owner in US
Accounting, Self Employed

Good software with strong features and lots of promise at a pricey point.

Comments: My overall experience with Canopy has been a good one thus far. Even though I bitch about the cost l, I continue to stay because of the ease of use, simplicity for my clients, and automation I’ve created within my tech stack.

Pros:

The best feature is the client portal and mobile app. It has been a business transformation blessing from way before COVID was ever a thing. I remember way back in 2017 when the mobile app was nearly launching how it revolutionized the way my clients do business with me. This is what has kept me on Canopy in spite of the price hikes.

Cons:

Canopy recently has changed their pricing model and I don’t like it because it increases the barriers to tax professional adoption. There are other titles out there who bring good feature sets and a much lower price point and has given me reason to start shopping elsewhere. What keeps me at Canopy is not wanting to invest the time in moving my clients files over to a new system, notifying my clients that I virtually moved virtual offices, and avoiding the headaches of all the client questions that would ensue.

Dustin
Dustin
District Manager in US
Consumer Goods, 501–1,000 Employees

Customer Service is Terribly - This Company is too new to meet deadlines

Comments: Purchased a license in order to use their Tax Prep software (NOT the tax management software - ability to track clients and manage the funnel of taxes). Was told everything would be ready in time, and I ensured they knew I was only buying now because the Tax Prep software was going to finally be ready. (They told me 4 different dates for when this would be ready as I've been working with their sales for 2 years, waiting for them to get things together). Jumped in and decided to make them our company for our tax prep business, and everything went wrong. Salesperson we worked with had quit, implementation team was slow, and then I got off the phone with a support person who casually mentioned that the tax software was tossed out for this year. We had no clue, completely SOL as we have 4 weeks until tax season started and had to rush to find another company. All done without an apology, just "oh that's funny, I thought everyone knew that we couldn't get the software ready", even though we were assured that it would be - for a quick sale I imagine. Lots of back and forth with different support team members. We had been paying for two months and getting everything switched to their platform - which took an enormous amount of time and effort from our people, just to be told they won't have it ready for us and we will not receive a refund. I told the support manager before about this review being posted and was told I "might get a call back" for help.

Pros:

The software is cloud based and therefore easy to access.

Cons:

The company consistantly made promises that they were unable to uphold. Pushbacks on product releases that we desperately needed, and no refund for their mistakes. Not the company you want to go with when you need something dependable. They're a tax company which makes it even more absurd that they mess around with deadlines.

Erica
Payroll Manager in US
Accounting, 2–10 Employees

Best Software We've Found!

Comments: I've had nothing but good experiences with Canopy. The transition and set up was pretty easy, the support has always been helpful, it's easy to use and even our clients have mentioned liking the client portal much more compared to previous software we've used.

Pros:

It's easy to use and I love that it's continually updated and improved upon. Suggestions are actually considered and implemented which shows that they really care about providing the best product.

Cons:

I really don't have much to complain about but one thing that would be helpful is being able to automate due dates to avoid weekends or holidays if they're on a semi-monthly schedule.

Brian
CPA in US

Canopy is Great for Small- and Mid-size Tax and Bookkeeping Firms

Pros:

The two features that my firm likes the most in Canopy is the Client Portal and Tax Resolution (IRS transcript delivery service). When purchasing the software, we knew we needed a Client Portal through which clients could exchange documents with us via their smartphone, and we've really liked that feature (being able to brand it as "ours" is a nice touch). What we didn't know - until we used it - was just how much time we save with pulling IRS transcripts through Canopy's Tax Resolution tool versus pulling transcripts through IRS e-services. Once your Form 2848 is on file with the IRS, you can pull every transcript for which you're authorized for a given client with the touch of a button. They download directly from the IRS in PDF format, and with one more button you can save every transcript to the client's file. The time savings is incredible, versus downloading individual transcripts one year and one form at a time.

Cons:

I personally feel that the e-signature process is a bit clunky, but that's probably just because I don't have much experience with IRS-approved e-signatures (which require knowledge-based authentication). But at least I know that Canopy is compliant with IRS regulations concerning e-signatures!

Austin
Principal in US
Accounting, Self Employed

Great product, with a price tag to match

Comments: Document collection and management was great. They also have a great product roadmap and I got the impression the product is only going to get better as time goes on. It took a while, but we finally got a "collapse/expand all" feature for the documents. Very impressed with the customer service. Also, the UI is very clean and overall pleasant to use. The only feature I didn't pay for was the workflows, because I was already disappointed with the way that "tasks" were tracked, and didn't feel optimistic more money would make me more satisfied.

Pros:

From a customer experience perspective, this is one of the best in class products. You can customize the portal login page, and I had great success training clients well into their 70s to use the client portals. Each file can be hidden or shared with the client, and for simple documents, Canopy offers a decent in-app pdf editor that doesn't share your annotations with the client. Haven't found anything aside from Engagement I liked better for document management, and Canopy is much cheaper on that front, and includes a client portal.

Cons:

Honestly, the only dislike is price. That, and I found some of the automations (like engagement letters for example) were clunkier to use than those of competitors (say, TaxDome).

Alison
CEO in US

Where to start

Comments: There are other options out there and I could easily stick w sharefile. However I wanted to up my game and show my clients a better higher tech experience. As you know, solopreneurs have a hard time competing w the small to middle size firms. Seems like you need to up your game or at least let me know about your game!

Pros:

Clients like the portal. It has helped improve the perception that my firm cares about their info. It also feels very organized. It is easy to set up a portal.

Cons:

Yegads, what to me seems like obvious items, the organizer doesn’t roll over from prior year to current year. Your current solution is for me to set up customer accounts for each member of a family unit. This seems dumb and a waste of accounts, my and my team’s time, my money and the client perception and experience. If i as a customer was asked by my firm to re enter all prior year into, I would be beyond annoyed. I would wonder what kind of high tech experience Alison isn’t offering me. As a customer, I would also be less inclined to complete it because It is a waste of my time. Your customer service and training library aren’t helpful. Since it is very self serve, I have no idea what to look for in terms of better ways to use canopy because I don’t know what I don’t know. You let us all know at the innovation summit about the 100 new features you have rolled out. My admin and I were dumbfounded to learn this. How did we not know About the cool ways you are trying to make my life better? Do you offer monthly training or “ask me anything” webinars that don’t require me to pay extra or upgrade to a higher level. If you do, why don’t I know about them? If you don’t, why don’t you? It seems like you would help me have a better experience with the software and keep me as a recurring customer. Also, it is hard as nails to get requests followed up on. Customer service isn’t great.

Brielle
Chief Operations Officer in US
Accounting, 11–50 Employees

Canopy is the Admin on our team!

Comments: we have been with Canopy for several years and starting out they did not have the features they do now. They are very responsive with feature requests and we really like the improvements they have made. Canopy is constantly improving the user environment and making a better product.

Pros:

Canopy allowed us to grow our client base without having to add additional personnel. using canopy tasks to track where the team members are, and to take notes, and hold communications (emails) we can assist each other when answering client questions. This way clients aren't playing phone tag with one individual. The file storage with client portal allows the clients to access their documentation 24/7/365 eliminating the need to email documents back and forth.

Cons:

Unfortunately Canopy does not sync with QuickBooks desktop.

Canopy Tax Practice Management Software

Comments: My overall experience is positive, the customer support is top notch and the product development team are listening to customer and continuously bring out new and updated enhancements to the software.

Pros:

The software is fairly easy to use and it is constantly being updated with new features.

Cons:

There is a lack of good reports around tasks and the software is built to be a little bit generic. We would find it even more useful if there were more features implemented specifically for tracking tax return tasks. I also wish the pricing was less module based. I wish that we could have access to more features for a straight forward monthly per user fee. I also wish that we could only pay for seasonal accounts during the busy months when we have extra help that needs access. Also, it would be nice if Canopy expanded their integrations to more than just contact information. Being able to integrate with other software based on tasks would be amazing.

Scott
Owner/CPA in US

Thomson Reuters File cab vs Tax Canopy

Comments: Within two weeks of starting my 30 day free trial, I had it set up (so I could evaluate the details and functionality) and decided to switch from Thomson Reuters File Cab. Another local CPA had also finished his vetting process so Tax Canopy already came highly recommended.

Pros:

Free support - chat in or ph call. Templates for global folder creation. Once this is figured out, you can populate new client files with all the needed folders in less than 30 seconds. Using "Tags" to identify clients to send email blasts inside Canopy - brilliant! Unlimited file storage. Thomson Reuters charges me which is odd in this day and age with super affordable data storage. Annotations to files (i.e. PDFs) without paying for an ADobe license. Client portals. I've used other portal software, including the Thompson Reuters VO portal, but Canopy has this down to simple science. The Desktop Assistant allows you to edit live Word and Excel files.

Cons:

File migration from File Cab. I wrote a how-to process sheet for my firm so this is doable just time-consuming. Don't let that deter you as it is part of the pain to switch from one software to another. We also are ditching Thomson Reuters Practice CS (i.e. their time and billing software) for the one inside Canopy. The invoicing and reporting are much weaker in Canopy compared to Practice CS so this is a problem but wasn't a deal-breaker. Canopy has assured me that better reports are forthcoming and I trust Canopy.

Jessie
President in US

Love Canopy, worth every penny

Comments: Overall wonderful

Pros:

I love that everything is all in one place. Document storage, document sharing with clients, timer, invoicing, reports, task management, procedures (we use sub-tasks to lay out the steps in a task with notes on how to do each step), transcripts etc. I have recently started to use the letter templates to respond to IRS letters and they make my life so much easier. I also really love the client request feature that automatically reminds my client that I am waiting on something.

Cons:

Small things, like I can lose track of tasks if I fail to assign them to someone. This could be easily avoided by looking at the task list in its entirety, but I find it most useful on a day to day basis to look at only tasks that belong to me, or only tax returns that need to be done, or only tasks that belong to the bookkeeper etc. I have to remember to occasionally look at all the tasks and then I realize that I missed something. I also find that the software is not as keyboard friendly as I would like, I have to do a lot of clicking to accomplish things.

Margaret
Senior Associate in US

Canopy Tax

Comments: Very good experience. Tech Support has been very helpful. Our clients like the portal too.

Pros:

Document sharing, obtaining electronic signatures is simple for us and our clients. Communication tab is also very helpful. This feature keeps communications from clients from getting siloed in individual team member's inbox. Being able to share files with clients and their other trusted advisors is also very helpful. Clients like that they can access data on their computer, their phone or their tablet.

Cons:

Each module has a separate cost. However, to use certain features you have to have a specific module even if we aren't using all the module features. Also, access cannot currently be given to 3rd parties on a file by file and contact basis. Currently, if we allow access to a client and their advisor to the portal, all files that have access turned on in the portal allow all these parties to view. It would be nice if we could pick and choose which client/important contact has access to which folder. For example, a client would have access to all their tax returns, estimates, and source documents. Their financial advisor could have access to only the tax returns.

Ronda
Firm Administrator in US
Accounting, 11–50 Employees

Canopy - our new best friend

Comments: Our experience with Canopy has been a very positive one. Their customer support is excellent. I have appreciated them reaching out to us to see how we are doing certain tasks and we are able to give them suggestions for change. I would recommend this product to other firms outside our demographic. I don't want the competition to have the advantage we have with Canopy!

Pros:

We switched from Office Tools to Canopy over 2 years ago. The implementation and data transfer was almost seamless. The mobile app and client portal have been invaluable to our client base. We were implementing Canopy before COVID so when the shut downs hit we were already ahead of the game for being digital for everything with a portal and app that worked and was easy for our client base to use.

Cons:

I wish the reporting was more accurate so our utilization rates were a better reflection. It would nice to customize reports for what the firm values with certain items.

last year

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review! We appreciate your feedback! We're excited to hear the impact Canopy is making at your firm.

Stephen
Owner in US
Accounting, 2–10 Employees

Canopy is a great all in one!

Pros:

I really enjoy the fact that my CRM, billing, and document management is on one platform.

Cons:

I'm still getting used to the features. I do wish that it had some additional options for payment syncing, link sharing outside of the portal, and the option to add further correspondence to a task.

last year

Thank you for this feedback, Stephen! Have you hear about our new Secure Links feature!? It allows you to securely share documents and request signatures from people who do not have the customer portal! Take a look at the update here: https://www.getcanopy.com/product-updates/get-esignatures-faster-with-secure-links-canopy#:~:text=The%20secure%20link%20is%20sent,designate%20them%20to%20do%20so.

Elisabeth
CEO in US
Accounting, Self Employed

I have had an outstanding experience with Canopy!

Comments: Client satisfaction, reliable (and hopefully secure!) file-sharing. Potential to have a more efficient tax practice. I feel like i didn't have time to dive in to all feature fully during tax season, but hope to spend some time this Fall tinkering with the software.

Pros:

Helping me organize the data and correspondence of 200+ tax clients. I got hooked by the fact that it keeps copies of all my email correspondence. But the biggest surprise was all the positive feedback I received from my clients about how easy it was to use, especially the file uploading. I had a previous product that was a complete nightmare. Around 40% of the clients who tried using it were unable to. Working on taxes brings up a lot of anxiety in people so anything I can do to make the experience smoother goes a long way. Having a reliable, user-friendly product to offer my clients feels GREAT!

Cons:

Annual subscription fee that will likely increase as the product is continually enhanced. It's also a little hard to organize the accounts of married couples. They file a joint return so in many respects only need one account. But I like to correspond with both spouses and I haven't figured out a way to do that within one account. If I made one spouse's account inactive, it also deactivates their email address so I'm unable to correspond with them.

McKinley
Managing Member in US

I have had a good experience using Canopy. The website functionality has been very good.

Pros:

I like the ability to produce documents that are ready to deliver to clients or the IRS once I have completed the required forms. Additionally, I like the ability to make changes without having to reproduce documents. The link that can be sent directly to clients for data input has been very helpful. Having tax transcripts that are readily accessible on my desktop is a very important feature.

Cons:

I think that the software should include a feature that will allow you download transcripts overnight. I think the software would be enhanced if some of the additional features that follow are included in the software: Case Diagnostics, Fee Calculator, Searchable IRS Manual and IRS Contact List. It would be very helpful if other users within the same office could utilize Canopy at some add on rate or multiple user environment. Some of the tax resolution practitioners are part of small office environments. It would be good to have a product that could better fit the needs of the smaller office environments. T

Priya
Controller in US
Accounting, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Canopy

Comments: Overall a good and reliable product

Pros:

Easy to use and use freindiliness. it has a client facing feature.

Cons:

it is very preliminary. it can grow from basic to more sophisticated for mid tier firms.

Jay
Tax Practioner in US

Canopy

Comments: Best Software compared ot its Peers.

Pros:

This Software makes my Firm efficient and I cannot see running my practice without this software.

Cons:

Software has trouble reading some MAC Files.

Jamie
Bookkeeper in US
Accounting, 2–10 Employees

Great, easy and convenient for all of our needs.

Comments: Awesome

Pros:

File sharing and ease of uploading from anywhere.

Cons:

Time tracker is my least favorite as it's hard to remember to turn it off sometimes.

last year

Thank you for your feedback, Jamie! We'd like to make the product as functional as possible. Send us your input about the time tracker here: https://feedback.getcanopy.com/

Ralph
President in US

A CPA for Canopy

Comments: My office staff handles the mechanics - however I have been very pleased with the product and our ability to use during the tax season

Pros:

Even my over 80 year old clients were able to 'start up' their online account and download/view/E-Sign their returns without much assistance from my office. It was that easy for them! AND a very small percentage of clients (less then 5%) had difficulty

Cons:

You have many features we have not implemented. Time is of the essence any classes you offer during the tax season are difficult to attend. I guess more communication regarding all the product abilities.

Robert
Director Tax Controversy in US

Tax Resolution Software

Pros:

In the beginning, Canopy was a tax resolution software. The survey option to send to the clients for their financial summary was very helpful to construct a resolution for their tax problems.

Cons:

The company evolved into a tax management software. I don't need those functions. I need a tax resolution software only. The software was cost prohibitive forcing us to purchase features we don't use. (practice management)

Lauren
CPA in US
Accounting, 2–10 Employees

Great Product! Such a Time Saver!

Comments: Love it! I would recommend it to anyone who regularly deals with IRS transcripts! Has saved us so much time!

Pros:

Pulling IRS transcripts using this software is a dream. When you get transcripts through the IRS website you have to pull them one at a time, and if they aren't ready yet you have to repeat this process everyday. With Canopy, you enter the taxpayer's information and then all you have to do to refresh the information is click the refresh button. So much easier to use! Plus you can setup multiple client at one time and let the software run in the background until it has checked them all with the IRS, meanwhile you can move on to other work.

Cons:

It would be easier if you didn't have to reestablish the link to the IRS everyday, and wait for the IRS code to come through. However, for security reason I understand why this is necessary.

Lora
Owner, CPA in US

Canopy Small Business

Comments: Really been worth the money.

Pros:

I am a small business and it is working out great for my firm. Affordable. Customer service has been very good.

Cons:

That other users can see my email if my email is integrated. This may not be an issue and longer as I have not checked it recently. Accepting payments through Canopy is too costly for me and receiving the funds too slow. I hope this improves so I don't have to pay for another service.

Ellen
accountant in US
Accounting, 2–10 Employees

I really have loved bringing the practice to Canopy.

Comments: Client portal, shared communications, all client info in one easy to use place.

Pros:

I love the communication feature that connects everyone's correspondence with all clients. That has deemed to be more useful than I originally thought. Also, being able to store information on all of our clients in one easy to use place has been great. The client portal is amazing and easy to use.

Cons:

When trying to complete things it will often have apologetic issues, like "sorry we are having trouble at the moment". Tasks should work more like engagements. Also, the alphabetic order of things is not exactly alphabetic and no one can seem to make sense of that for me but as our cient list grew the search tool is now the go-to for finding clients so it doesn't cause much of a hassle it is just a little odd.

Great Fit For Small Tax Practice

Pros:

It covers all the features I need from my client-facing tech stack in one platform. I can share/receive files, send e-sign requests, manage work, send invoices, receive payments, and pull IRS transcripts all in Canopy. Support has also been very responsive to me and has helped me with all my questions.

Cons:

It is an evolving and growing platform that comes with occasional bugs and changes to the user experience.