15 years helping Irish businesses

About Smart Service

Add scheduling, billing, work orders, customer management, and more to QuickBooks with Smart Service, the best pest control software.

Learn more about Smart Service

Pros:

Smart Service has streamlined and simplified our scheduling processes, service and billing.

Cons:

If you need technical assistance after the second or third year, you have to pay for each year previous to be able to even ask a question.

Smart Service ratings

4.2
4.5
4.1
4.2

8.2/10

Smart Service has an overall rating of 4.3 out 5 stars based on 269 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Smart Service before?

Albert D.
Albert D.
, 51–200 Employees

Smart Service has been a God send to my company. We are now also "almost" paper free.

Comments: Efficiency - Efficiency - efficiency.
And did I mention efficiency???

Pros:

Being able to use iPads or tablets in the field. By being able to use tablets we take away the technicians penmanship errors and can have the customer sign work orders so there is no confusion of who said what later.

Cons:

Not being able to track individual extinguishers by date and have them update to when service is needed.

Nate
Owner/CEO in US
Consumer Services, 2–10 Employees

Smart Service for Pest Control

Comments: It's been a long and arduous process learning to work with the software and customize it to fit our needs.

Pros:

The software is very customizable. It has the features we need to apply data to ensure consistent service to our customers.

Cons:

Due to the customizable design it requires admins that are highly skilled in software use and development. Not easy to navigate, conflicting layers/windows for data.

Ben
Dispatcher in US
Facilities Services

Good in theory, but impractical in implementation

Pros:

For the regular dispatching features, I was able to learn completely on my own with no instruction, becoming our in-house "expert." It is intuitive enough that I found solutions for problems that tech support thought had no work-around.

Cons:

The program as a whole is outdated and clunky, built around Microsoft Access, limiting its modern application. For example, if you have a customer with 10 locations and 15 total jobs, and they change their billing address, you have to manually go change it 26 times, in a clunky system that is not fast at all. Adding a new customer takes forever, especially if you have a location and job to enter as well. There is also no feature to have an AP email for their default QuickBooks email, while still have primary contact's email prevalent. Scheduling is nice that a job can recur indefinitely, but if a job cancels, you have to change its recurrence pattern PRIOR to inactivating the job, or it still comes up on the schedule. It also has no features for a job to occur for a certain period of time, or to recur on a seasonal basis. If your customers have multiple services per invoice, it is a huge pain. The "Batch invoices to Quickbooks" feature requires the user to post each individual batch one. at. a. time. Again, on a slow, clunky system. Many of the advanced features have not worked for us at all, or were not as advertised in the demo. Granted, the most annoying part (the scheduler does not work for us) is largely due to our painfully slow cloud system, making it inoperable. If you want to print a schedule for each employee, be prepared to pay for an upgrade (ours was $600) so they can program a custom report for you, that is iffy on how often it works on the first attempt. (Ours works on the second attempt every time.) The "Prospect" feature is useless... it doesn't transition over to "Customer" well at all. It is also impractical to use many features integrated with Quickbooks-- it requires syncing for anything useful, and with a large customer database, that is completely impractical for the frequency required. Bill your customer a flat rate each month? Forget about it, unless you cheat the system and create two jobs-- one that is the real job for your employee and charges nothing, and one that only your accountant uses. Bottom line: It's intuitive to figure out basic functions, but there is SO much room for error, and something simple like an updated address once took me 2 hours to complete for our largest customer. They need to do a complete overhaul of their programming and add some basic features before I could recommend Smart Service to anyone. We've found that to make it work, it requires constant ingenuity to come up with a work-around for design flaws.

Lori
Receptionist in US
Consumer Services, 2–10 Employees

Use of Smart Service

Pros:

Ease of scheduling and looking up our Clients.

Cons:

Sometimes it can be slower then usual to find a Customer.

Eron
ceo in US
Construction, Self Employed

Great product

Comments: My overall experience with Smart Service has been very good.

Pros:

Smart Service used with iFleet has allowed me to streamline customer management, scheduling, and estimating repairs.

Cons:

As you may expect there's a bit of a learning curve and multi-day jobs don't work well.

Construction, 11–50 Employees

Smart Service

Comments: It has been a good experience. It handles well with Quickbooks. We are switching to a better software after being on this for 5 years.

Pros:

It is fairly user friendly. I do like the posting and dispatch screens. Easy to read, easy to post. The ease of changing information is good and bad. From an accounting perspective, it is a bit soft on that aspect.

Cons:

It took me longer to get the hang of this software than most softwares I have used. The reporting is not the best. Reporting is difficult to get what we want. It either has too much information or too little. I would like to see the ease of changing accouting information alot harder. It is too easy for the field techs to change.

Sholom
Real Estate, 2–10 Employees

Smart Service

Comments: Excellent. I C would definitely recommend

Pros:

The ease of setup and learning curve were rather straightforward and intuitive. The tech support is excellent as well

Cons:

I prefer to speak with a real person as opposed to a phone tree

Brad
CFO in US
Environmental Services, 11–50 Employees

Good Product for Service and Installations

Comments: Happy with the product. We use it to create, schedule, update, communicate and invoice hundreds of jobs per week.

Pros:

Ability to communicate job information between the office and the field

Cons:

making changes to customer names if clumsy.

Josh Bernthold,
Josh Bernthold,
Agency Owner in US

Great field mgmt software for Quickbooks users

Pros:

The design is amazing and the integration works seamlessly with Quickbooks. The direct customer support is great but is an additional cost that I feel is a must-have for general support or when you get in a jam.

Cons:

There are not too many cons with this software. The constant updating and making the software more versatile for the user would be the only negative point I could come across only because with any software update there is a chance for bugs. The fact the company is always doing it in response to making the software run better and adding feature requests from actual customers balances it out I feel.

Corinna
MD in Germany
Marketing & Advertising, 501–1,000 Employees

Helpful tool especially for multi-location companies

5.0 last month New

Pros:

- Mobile version: easy to use and very handy to have - as a local manager it really helped working with the decentralized office planning staff that could plan and take care of interventions while I was in the loop

Cons:

French focus but international is growing

PAVEL
owner in US
Civic & Social Organization, 11–50 Employees

HORIBLE STAY AWAY YOU SHOULD BE CRAZY TO PAY $10K+ for Web1 software in the age of AI

Comments: Disappointment and frustration EVERY SINGLE DAY

Pros:

horrible overall HORRIBLE HORRIBLE STAY AWAY

Cons:

Expensive, they changed the contract on us after paying 5K+ for mobile user accounts wit the promise not to pay monthly, they decided to start charging monthly fee

Denise
Security & Investigations, 2–10 Employees

ACI Smart Service Review 09-21-2016

Comments: We have been using Smart Service with the IFleet portion for our technicians in the field for about 4 years now. Overall it is a very good system.

Pros:

The ease of entering customers, service tickets, time keeping and the GPS tracking are great benefits of this system. For the most part our technicians have been easily trained on the process and it has cut down on a lot of their processing time in the field.

Cons:

We have used the "Get Customer" or "Sync Customer" functions many times and since some of our office employees enter data directly into QuickBooks, we've lost a lot of email address and contact information on our customers. This information is critical to our database and it's very frustrating to try to rebuild. We have several labor descriptions for our business and the work tickets can be set up correctly for the type of labor on a service call, the information transfers to the invoice in QB correctly, but defaults to ONE labor description on the time cards. So I end up having to revise nearly ever time card entry to correct the labor code. Also have to change the service or installation name from the sales rep's name to the actual technician that did the work. This has made the payroll processing a lot more time consuming than it used to be when it was entered directly through the time card entry in QB.

Larry
President/CFO in US
Security & Investigations, 11–50 Employees

Beware before you buy.

Comments: None. We returned it for a smaller refund.

Pros:

Great Dashboard for dispatcher. It allows the dispatcher to customize how they operate and make great decisions. Wish there was a place to park unassigned calls. Nice interface with Quickbooks. Good overall features. Really wanted this product to work for us.

Cons:

Serious security flaws that let your techs email your hard earned customer information to their personal email or worse yet your competitor with no tracking. Was told during sales demo this could be turned off with a "radio button". It was our number one reason for buying and explained up front. After purchase and during training we demanded to see how this was to be done and our trainer was honest and said the salesman was wrong and halted the training. They refused to change the mobile app to disable this. Gave them a few days they asked to address this and they could not demonstrate after several tries how this was to be done. The only viable suggestion was to lock down all the smart phones with a 3rd party mobile management software which would prevent our techs from receiving and sending troubleshooting documentation. We demanded a refund which was prompt but not the full amount despite the deception. The upper management will not return calls but instead sent me an emailed legal threat if I dared to review the product online. They actually used the word "Disparage" which is supposed to have a dishonest component to it. Everything here is honest. They plan to sue for liquidated damages for each negative review. Good product, dishonest salespeople and an upper management that doesn't care to try and win a customer or apologize for their salespeople's misplaced exuberance.

Lisa
Construction, 2–10 Employees

Great dispatching program for smaller service company's.

Comments: We purchased the software over a year ago. The product only functions with Quick Books. As we grew the software presented some challenges for us. If you have multiple locations and Jobs under one customer the software slows way down when working/scheduling anything to do with that larger customer. We experienced a lot of errors when adding new jobs/or locations. The help desk worked hard to fix the issues, and for the most part they did. It still very slow when working in our largest customer. For dispatching is it great - the I fleet portion is user friendly for the guys in the field. The finished forms are not great I would like the option to create your own without an extra charge or edit the ones they have. Yes we are happy with the product, but there are some glitches that need to be addressed. 1. Notifying customers when updates are available - via email with needed password. 2. Forms - ability to edit them. 3. size restricting issues. 4. use without QuickBooks for scheduling.

Pros:

The integration with QuickBooks - Eliminates double entry.

Cons:

The inability to handle larger customers - ability to see previous work within those customers is not functional. Forms created in the program are not very good

Courtney
Recreational Facilities & Services, 11–50 Employees

Swim Clear says Smart Service is the Smart Choice

Comments: Smart Service with iFleet has completely streamlined the way we do business. In the pool and spa industry it has given us an edge on customer service with it's ability to easily track and report detailed transactions, such as model and manufacturing numbers, serial numbers, time stamping, and water analysis results. There are customizable fields built in that allow us to tailor the program to our needs. If we cannot find what we want, their amazing customer support staff is always available to find a solution. Then they go one step further by taking the time to walk us through it step by step. My Service Depot keeps pace with technology and continually works to enhance and improve their products while always being open to suggestions. Thank you MSD Staff, you have been wonderful!

Pros:

tracking (time stamps and history) and easy to view color coding, the reports feature

Cons:

Integrated mapping and routing

melissa
president in US

DISAPOINTED

Comments: be advised that you can't even just purchase the product and use it. You have to pay for customer service to continue to use the product, even when you aren't at fault, when the system is not right you still have to pay for them to fix their problems.

Pros:

Functions to schedule jobs is probably the only thing that I use this product for so I don't have many questions or problems, but when you do, its a problem

Cons:

lack of customer service help on issues that are with the function of the product. I am able to function in the system as much as i need to, but when the system isn't doing what its supposed to then there is nothing I can do about it other than pay for them to fix a problem that should not exist

My Service Depot Response

7 years ago

I’m sorry that you’re disappointed with the charges for ongoing support of Smart Service. You are correct that we do charge for ongoing support, but that charge includes all product updates including new feature enhancements, call-in and email support, customer training webinars, and continuing use of our web services for our mobile application. We strive to provide the best products and services at a reasonable cost to our customers, and the total cost of Smart Service is among the most competitive in the industry. I see that you recently renewed your support account, and we hope that you’ll take advantage of all of the services that it includes.

Lucas
Manager in US
Consumer Services, 11–50 Employees

This software along with I fleet helped us streamline our scheduling and billing without paper

Comments: less paperwork and holds on to all open jobs scheduled until they are completely billed out

Pros:

It integrates with the google calendar and Quickbooks. It holds pictures of jobs and really makes recurring jobs a breeze to setup and keep up with along with storing equipment mn and sn as well as warranty info.

Cons:

nothing to really complain about. Sometimes the google calendar can be a hindrance because technicians can see 3 days out out and may be concerned about projects they are not on yet. Some may even develop a sickness they did not know they had in advance of a project they want to avoid.

Sherry
, 2–10 Employees

Smart Service Review

Comments: We have been using smart service since about 1999. I have to say it is a great tool for small service bushiness. There is some things I think could be done differently or improved to help with functionality in some areas. The customer service it great! I appreciate that you are all there and willing to help and/or answer questions. Thank you.

Pros:

works well with QB

Cons:

There is need for improvement 1) editing in customers names capability - can only be done in QB 2) List - edits on Jobs description and other areas - are not easy to edit... I think you could find an easier way to fix spelling errors and etc...

Bill
President in US

The team at Smart Service were very helpful in getting the issue discussed and resolved

Pros:

The scheduling feature is user friendly providing detailed technician information as well as a color legend categories. The ease of moving jobs from technician to another is a huge advantage without re-entering information.

Cons:

There isn't a maps feature that works that is similar to Google Maps Not able to have templates for our service technicians that is easy to set up or maintain without an additional expense having it built without a guarantee that it will work properly

Brandon
Owner in US

Great scheduling software

Comments: We have been using smart service and ifleet for two years now and could not be happier. They are both very easy to get started and very easy to use. We have had no trouble integrating it with our technicians. No more double data entry into QuickBooks. I would highly recommend this software for any small to medium service type business. We do HVAC in Colorado Springs and I can see how this would work for many different types of companies.

Pros:

It's many features and ease-of-use.

Cons:

Tech-support is only available during regular business hours on Eastern standard time.

Alisha
Office assistant in US

Smart service has helped me to keep track of every aspect of each individual customer and jobs.

Pros:

I like that the software is user friendly and can be saved, changed and added to at any point of the job process. Keeping track of hours and job items has never been so easy. I can manage ifleet and scheduling simultaneously as well as customer follow ups and invoicing without delay.

Cons:

What I like least about the software is the many triggers that inhibit me of recording certain vital job status changes, or general information or notes while the job is ongoing. Sometimes that shared information needs changed or updated during the job, the triggers resend unnecessary jobs back to ifleet. But even with these triggers, I am still very pleased with the software. I would like to know more, as I am always learning new features as the need for them arises.

Michelle
Customer Service lead & Office Manager in US
Food & Beverages, 2–10 Employees

Good Service to have

Comments: Makes my job easier.

Pros:

It makes creating invoices easier and helps keep track of where your technicians need to go on the job and where they are.

Cons:

Some jobs keep defaulting and i have to go in and re do work i just did. how to use some of the program is unfamiliar to me. It doesn't seem to back up what is done after you post a job. You then have vague information available. Maybe i just need to learn more about the program. :)

Katie
Utilities, 11–50 Employees

So easy and extremely useful!

Comments: All the of the necessary information is printed out on the daily workorders as needed. Again, this program is very easy to use as well as teach to new employees.

Pros:

We love the fact that it is simple to use and holds a lot of our customers information. Searching for customers is what we use on a daily basis anytime our phone rings.

Cons:

We really don't have much of anything to complain about. sometimes there are glitches but nothing major.

Katrina
, 2–10 Employees

Works Great

Comments: This is a great program, they could fix a few things, but other than that I have been satisfied.

Pros:

Scheduling is easy and organized.

Cons:

They don't tell you when it has been updated and their mapping system does not allow you to "optimize" more than 100 jobs at a time. My techs tell when their system is acting up and then I have to contact them to find out why and usually it is due to an update.

Christa
Admin Asst. in US

always great customer service

Pros:

the ability to sync with quickbooks for billing. customer service is quick to respond and very polite.

Cons:

i am not made aware of updates when they are released, i usually have an error, which will lead to a call and i will update. the ability to use smart service on ipad would be nice. mass data upload option, ie device inventory from excel sheet.