15 years helping Irish businesses

About Plooto

Ideal for SMBs and accountants, Plooto is the fastest way to manage business payments, AP & AR process & receive credit card payments.

Learn more about Plooto

Pros:

It's affordability and versatility. The ability to have people on ACH subscriptions is a large plus.

Cons:

The pricing change is too bad given our corporate structure.

Plooto ratings

4.5
4.0
4.2
4.2

7.9/10

Plooto has an overall rating of 4.4 out 5 stars based on 231 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Plooto before?

Aislinn
Aislinn
Marketing Asssitant in Canada
Management Consulting, 11–50 Employees

Entreflow Consulting Group's use of Plooto

Comments: Plooto has certainly helped us from a workflow perspective, it's pulling your payables from your Quickbooks or Xero account into Plooto so you can see all the payables that you need to deal with and when they're due. And there's a whole bunch of approval processes you can put in place for internal controls perspective so make things a lot more bulletproof than just manually writing checks and doing e-transfers.

Pros:

So you can currently do pre-authorized debit, pre-authorized credit receivables in U.S. dollars and Canadian dollars which is super kick-ass. It's also made some of our clients lives a lot easier if they've got clients in different countries, and it gives their clients flexibility to pay in debit or credit. Also, as far as the amount of time it takes for that cash to clear your bank account; it's faster than Stripe, and on top of that the integration with Quickbooks makes it a lot easier to manage the fees, unlike Stripe.

Cons:

We'd love to see more international payments to more countries just for some of our clients that have people they're paying in lots of different places around the world. As well, with the international payments, if a client has a lot of companies that they're paying in the U.S. for instance if you get really costly really quickly. So I'd like to see some bulk discounts for high volume payments to the U.S.

Heather
Principal in Canada

Our EFT provider of choice

Comments: Our objective was to automate payables, and Plooto has been great for that purpose.

Pros:

We're a Quickbooks shop, and we *love* the integration. Virtually all of our clients are using Plooto for payables, and some for receivables. In terms of pricing, the package is advantageous for most of our clients. Some of the tiny ones would spend less on regular bank fees -- but the convenience still makes Plooto a good option. The interface is clean and user-friendly. Our clients love the signing authority "tiers." We're working with nonprofits, so there's always a board of directors to consider -- and therefore multiple signers. It's not uncommon for orgs to specify who needs to approve organizations over certain limits, and Plooto gets us there with no fuss.

Cons:

We still have issues with some vendors not being serviced by Plooto, e.g. credit card companies. The ability to send payments internationally through Plooto is great, but we sometimes experience issues with foreign banks. On the signing authority front, it's possible to do an "end run" around banking agreements by authorizing people on Plooto that aren't authorized on the bank account. We need to do our due diligence on that, to ensure payments are authorized only by signing authorities.

Alan
Executive Director in Canada
Education Management, 2–10 Employees

Contact integration between Xero and Plooto is currently ineffective

Comments: Plooto's support has provided an unsatisfactory response, dismissing the issue as not within their purview. This unaddressed concern prompted me to seek an alternative accounts payable software solution.

Pros:

The interfaces are clean and the functionality with the software is very solid.

Cons:

The contact integration between Xero and Plooto is currently ineffective, with each party attributing the issue to the other. When contacts are synchronized from Xero to Plooto, they are automatically generated as customers in Plooto, and there is no option to switch them to suppliers. The only recourse is to delete the customer contact and manually recreate it as a supplier. This persistent problem, reported to Plooto, introduces additional delays, requires extra confirmation of hand-offs, and disrupts the workflow with added confusion.

Pauline
Accounting supervisor in Canada

Plooto Review

Comments: great, their customer support is reliable as well and i find the software very reliable in payment processing

Pros:

it is very cheap for its worth i think and it is very easy to the eyes

Cons:

they can improve their reports i think, and also i do not like the limit on batch approval that gives approver only 10 lines to approve at a time

Maddie
Maddie
System Administrator in US
Information Technology & Services, 10,000+ Employees

Plooto is an easy-to-use, handy program that simplifies the process

Comments: Accounts payable include a variety of options that make it simple to designate an approval tier and transfer payments. Checks that have been deposited in the previous few months have not shown in the system, however the support staff is working to correct this. Other than this, Plooto has a number of features that make processing AP more efficient.

Pros:

Sending payments in practically any quantity to suppliers with Plooto is one of its finest features. Approval control, user-friendliness, and affordability are all things we like. It integrates with QBO and makes it simple to reconcile and set up payments automatically. Recurring payments and deposits may be set up quickly and effortlessly.

Cons:

The inclusion of cheque numbers in a report would be quite helpful in keeping track of payments. As an alternative, it would be good if the user could pick from a list of pre-existing merchants.

Colette
Director, Owner in Canada
Music, 11–50 Employees

Plooto Crucial to our Operations

Comments: We have been with Plooto now since 2017! Customer service is top notch.

Pros:

Once our customers are set up in the pre-authorized system, it's very easy for their payments to continue with no effort on their part. That means no chasing customers for payments!

Cons:

I wish Plooto could integrate with other data scheduling programs, then it would suit our business needs perfectly!

Danny
Founder in Canada

Integral Software for Accounting

Comments: My experience has been very good! Been very happy with product in the past few years that I have been using it for my clients.

Pros:

I like the integration with QBO and that it makes it easy for me to process payments with the appropriate checks and balances of approvals. The software also helps in confirming whether the bank information being provided is valid or not. So easy to use!!!

Cons:

The only Con that I could think of is that it becomes a bit expensive for those that have very little transactions monthly where the fixed monthly fee does not get fully utilized.

SARA
Owner in US

It's Okay

Comments: I am striving to keep my payment processing costs as low as possible. As such, I've stuck with Plooto and have tried to have as many clients as possible do ACH processing. However, more and more clients are requesting to use credit cards, and many are okay with paying a surcharge for processing fees. Plooto does not accept credit card payments, and I would prefer to have a one stop shop for payment processing. I was happier when it was a flat $1 fee per ACH, I'm now paying much more per transaction due to the flat $25 per month fee and the small amount of clients I have who are still willing to do ACH payments.

Pros:

If you're looking for automatic draws, it works well. Syncs with both QBO and Xero.

Cons:

If your client doesn't have all of the funds in their account, you won't be notified. Plooto will draw what it can and you'll have to log in to look to see who failed to pay in full. Pricing is okay. You're essentially charged $2.50 for ACH. If you're using QBO, you may as well just use their ACH payment processing as it's cheaper. If you're using Plooto to pay a client (a refund, for example) it isn't automatic. You have to set them up again, and they'll have to guess a password to accept the funds you're transferring to them. It's bizarre that you can take money from them, but can't send it to them.

Audrey
Accounting, Self Employed

It's easy and quick to use, but it's missing a key integration that would make it perfect.

Comments: Overall a good experience, but it's missing a key integration that would make it perfect. I can't wait for them to bring back credit card payments and I hope they expand the integration capabilities.

Pros:

Plooto integrates with QBO and make syncing receivables and payables easy. It reconciles the payments which saves a lot of time. The customers and suppliers receive an email that tells them about upcoming payments and a link that takes them to this information plus shows them the past transactions.

Cons:

I've been using Plooto with one client for about a year now and would like to move other clients to this system. Unfortunately, Plooto doesn't work with QBO's projects and sub-customer system. Each time I’ve tested collecting these receivables, Plooto says the customer doesn't exist and wants to create a new client even though the client does exist, it's picking up the project or sub-customer name at the end of the client’s name. If Plooto’s system can recognize the customers name before the ":" to allow collection of accounts with multiple project or sub-accounts I would be able to move more clients over to this system.

Nonprofit Organisation Management, 2–10 Employees

User friendly but wished that Accounts receivable had more options

Comments: The problem that arises is that we as a small organization end up paying for two software because some of our vendors pay by credit card so we are spending more money on Plooto.

Pros:

Multiple options for accounts payable which makes it easy set approval tier and to transfer funds

Cons:

I highly recommend that Plooto starts accepting payments via credit card or email AR. While this is an option for AP it should be implemented for AR too. Secondly as a 4 member organization we wished there was a non-profit pricing range.

Ron
Ron

Plooto review

Comments: None of my clients use cheques and rarely any other mode of payment. Plooto could improve the approval process, however.

Pros:

Plooto synchronizes with QBO pulling in all unpaid bills. Paying suppliers is done simply by ticking the unpaid items particularly if you have set up the supplier in Plooto with their banking information. If not available an e-transfer can be made or Plooto will solicit this detail from the supplier for you. Collecting outstanding receivables in QBO also works very nicely although some clients are suspicious of the solicitation. USD payments and rapid payments are also available if Plooto is prefunded, otherwise a fee is applied.

Cons:

The payment interface with QBO was not well thought out. The first step initiates a payment and a designated approver will then have to approve the payment. Plooto immediately marks the bill as paid in QBO. The approver often delays in approving payment due to cash flows or disagreement. Running a balance sheet or payables listing in QBO is misleading since items have been removed as 'paid'. Putting the bills back into QBO as unpaid means deleting the initiated payment in Plooto and manually deleting the payment if QBO. This often leads to mistakes if there are large volumes and a busy schedule, sometimes resulting in double payments . In spite of the claims by Plooto the balance showing in QBO often become irreconcilable resulting in a write off. Plooto does not import credit amounts resulting in overpayments. The resolution to this by Plooto to this issue is extremely simple. Do not mark 'initiated' payments as 'paid' only 'approved' payments.

Ali
IT & Operations in Canada
Accounting, 11–50 Employees

Great overall payment processing tool

Pros:

Plooto is very easy and intuitive to use. The integration with Xero and reoccurring PAD setups are great time saving features. In my experience the customer support is top class. My concerns are addressed the same day. The value provided by Plooto is unmatched in my experience.

Cons:

Notifications! I do understand and appreciate the dedication Plooto has to security but being an accounting firm which means dealing with many companies the notifications can fill up the inbox pretty quickly. Unfortunately, there isn't a way to remove these for security reasons. My suggestion to Plooto is perhaps enforce user notifications for 2 accounts and allow deactivate the notifications for other users. This would save tremendous amount of time for accounting/finance firms that deal with multiples client accounts.

Zak
Executive Director in Canada
Marketing & Advertising, 51–200 Employees

Turnkey, easy to use accounts payable solution

Comments: It's been a tent pole product for us as part of our finance activities. Highly recommend to any organization with daily payment needs.

Pros:

Plooto makes it very easy to pay suppliers and vendors. If you can get your bills from Xero or your accounting software, its just a couple of clicks away to create payments. The additional approval workflow features are great for scaling up and delegating Accounts Payable and setting limits on payment types. Plooto Instant is also a very handy solution for last minute payment needs, we always keep funds there for our staff.

Cons:

A better/more open API so we could programmatically create new payment contacts or set Email Transfer passwords, but honestly that's nit-picking. The functionality provided is more than enough for 99% of businesses.

Jennifer
Business Coach in Canada

My reliable assistant

Comments: I have found the software to be reliable and easy to use. But more importantly, I have found the support team to be responsive and genuinely interested in solving problems.

Pros:

Plooto is my AR/AP support system. It does the work as expected, when expected and in my business, reliability is a top quality. I couldn't imagine running my business without Plooto on my team.

Cons:

I have requested the platform be modified to be more accessible so that my sight impaired customers can benefit from the value Plooto can offer.

Matthew
President in Canada

Plooto Review

Comments: While not perfect, Plooto has been great for us to help clients manage their A/P at scale at fees that are lower than the banks charge.

Pros:

I like that it is easy to use, integrates with our accounting system, and allows us to manage A/P for clients at scale without using cheques.

Cons:

The 4-day turnaround time to settle payments is the biggest pain-point. The new fixed-fee monthly pricing model is inconsistent with how users are actually transacting on the platform, the previous model was much easier to explain to clients. Customer service is a bit slow and we've been charged incorrectly multiple times, which takes them several weeks to resolve for each one.

Jennifer
Accounting Technician in Canada
Accounting, 51–200 Employees

Best range of options from existing software providers

Comments: Currently we are having issues with cheques not showing as being deposited for the last few months however the support team is trying to resolve this issue. Other than this, Plooto offers a lot of functionality that does improve the ease of processing AP.

Pros:

It connects to QBO and allows easy reconciliations as well as automatic set up of payments which is very helpful. Allows set up of recurring payments and recurring deposits easily

Cons:

A report that includes cheque numbers would be very helpful for tracking payments. It would also be helpful if, when vendor names are not exact matches, it allowed the user to select from existing vendors set up.

Ken
VP Finance in Canada

Loved the product until last week when we lost 30K because of PLooto system bug!

Pros:

1-Easy to use 2- Dashboards are great 3- Cost is on point 4- Set up was easy Overall has such potential to be a leader in this space, however, read cons!

Cons:

1-Security 2- Customer services/Success 3- Accountability when errors are made- Last week you guys seemed to have a system bug the resulted in your system double paying involves totalling 30K. This is a huge red flag for us on the controls and security of your platform. When we contacted you guys we were given no explanation and no solution. Just told to ask vendors for credit notes and this is just not a solution.. I need solutions and explanations fast or we will be removing our selves from your platform, won't roll out other companies and will certainly be adding the review on your product. This means we are currently out 30K and not to mention all the additional time this has take for my staff to investigate. The more troubling part is that we found this and this was not detected by Plooto. This is too bad as i feel your platform had lots of potential but when in comes to payments, security is the number one concern. Customer services would also be a good addition!

Diana

Plooto Bill Payments

Comments: Relatively good, but as I said earlier, reconciling is a nightmare, there is no real way to see what is happening in the back end.

Pros:

I really like that I can set up approval tiers, I also appreciate that once it is set up it is relatively easy for my clients to use.

Cons:

The reporting features are pretty much non existent and reconciling can be a nightmare if using Plooto Instant especially with my high volume clients. I also don't think that you should charge a subscription fee, especially if the client is doing high volumes as some of my clients do. There is also no partner program or incentives for accounting professionals who recommend and implement it to our clients.

Edgar
Founder in Canada
Management Consulting, 2–10 Employees

Convenient but limited functionality

Comments: The product is straightforward to use but I wish that customer service was more responsive and clearer. Looking forward to knowing the limits and future features of the product better.

Pros:

It is very useful to facilitate cross border payments, the pre-loading for funds to accelerate payments is appreciated. The ability to automate regular payments and populate a transaction is high.

Cons:

The cross border receivables are extremely limited, the amount is too low to collect receivables across the border. I would like better communication as to what my options are and how to pre-qualify different vendors.

Dimitri
Vice President in Canada
Consumer Services, 11–50 Employees

SP North America Feedback

Pros:

Its easy to use and by passes the limitations via the big 5 banks.

Cons:

It would be great if we could implement this software via e-commerce with plugins. Finally, the credit card feature with an actual refund option.

Entertainment, 2–10 Employees

You get what you pay for- If you're a serious business, don't bother

Pros:

Cost Efficient Ok- at least support responded if anyone was actually available.

Cons:

Absolute disaster if you need funds transferred in any reliable or consistent time frame. The bigger the amount, the longer the wait took for a wire transfer to push through. I imagine it's because funds were being hoarded to capitalize in gains or wherever it was being held (6 figures sums took multiple weeks at points). Terrible breaking between Quickbooks and Xero for existing customers. Failed multiple time on cash transfers, racked up charges. If you're using it for personal use, I guess it's better than other means- I would just Venmo in that case honestly. If it's for serious business- DO NOT use. Especially if you do any kind of wiring of large funds in the six figure and up range. You will regret it, payments will be late, and you will rack up charges on returned payments and kill cash liquidity on the long waiting periods. Product not yet ready for mainstream business use in my opinion.

Sherry
Counsellor in Canada
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 11–50 Employees

Awesome

Comments: It is easy to use, we are able to send any sized payment with no problems. We have even sent American funds and it was easy to use and we were charged a minimal surcharge for the convenience. Much easier than a money order

Pros:

We did not want to utilize cheques to pay our employees. The bank we deal with would not provide us with any other options. We found Plooto and began utilizing it.

Cons:

I know there are features we do not use. The thing I like least is the amount of time it takes to load the Plooto account with funds.

Jay
Controller in Canada
Entertainment, 2–10 Employees

From my experiences

Comments: Generally good but customer service really needs work. I had a failed transfer attempt and it took well over a month and multiple emails to get my money put back in my account.

Pros:

It's really easy to use and save me a ton of headaches. No messing around with wires. Payments go direct to accounts so little delay.

Cons:

The account balances should be on the landing page. The first thing I want to know is how much is there Interesting that you ask about financial reporting and reconciliation. It is terrible. Really hard to reconcile the accounts. You should have something more like a bank statement. The info that can be downloaded is really convaluted. Really frustrating. I have recommended Plooto quite a few times but I always say "be warned, the reconciliation process is basically non-existent"

Lynn
Bookkeeper in Canada

Review

Comments: Fairly good. I would recommend it.

Pros:

The integration with QuickBooks Online is good - it is current and shows me bills have be paid that same day as the order goes in. I

Cons:

Missing bill payments. Missing an integration to show that my recurring monthly Receivable payments are paid in QBO.

Susan
Controller in Canada
Computer Software, 51–200 Employees

Plooto is critical to our business

Comments: Plooto made our transition to working from an office to home during the pandemic seamless. We went from an organization that made the majority of our payments by cheque (requiring dual signatures) to online using Plooto in about a week. I don't know how we would have paid our bills without it.

Pros:

Plooto was so easy to set up, and it's auto connection to our accounting software was seamless.

Cons:

We make quite a few payments to the USA, and I would like to see the cost on those come down. The price on Canadian payments is very reasonable.