• Overall
    4.6/5
    4.7/5
    4.6/5

About EmailOctopus

Email marketing for less

Learn more about EmailOctopus

Brian S.
  • Reviewed on 1/9/2020

"KISS for email marketing"

Comments: I use it to send a weekly email to my former ukulele students (300+). I also send out 'tech tips' to authors on a semi-regular basis.

Pros: What I love most about email octopus is the simplicity of it. The interface is minimal by design which doesn't derail me when I just need to get an email out to my lists.

Cons: I would love it if they supported markdown.

• Reviewed on 1/9/2020
Mikey C.
Author
Entertainment, Self Employed

"Reliable and cost-effective"

Comments: Overall I've been very pleased. I have tried several other providers and found that this service is excellent and compares well with other providers who charge a lot more for similar features.

Pros: EmailOctopus offers a reliable platform at an excellent price, and the level of customer support is particularly good. Questions are answered promptly and efficiently. The platform is easy to use and has a good range of features.

Cons: I'd like to see the drag and drop email editor improved. It works well enough and the emails look good, but it is not as slick as other editors I've used.

Jan sigetty B.
Publishing, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 28/9/2018

"Unfair comparison with Mailchimp"

Comments: I like it, but that's because I found workarounds. Fx. I design the NewsLetter in MailChimp and copy/paste the HTML. It works fine that way.

Pros: I moved from MailChimp, because of the price tag. Octopus is way cheaper, but it's still possible to send the same quality emails and that's​ great.

Cons: 1. A better interface to make your own template/design. Limitations in fonts, sizes, etc 2. List features are limited. No way to create segments or groups based on subscriber data. 3. Regarding reports: A graphic overview of where the clicks are placed.

by EmailOctopus on 4/10/2018

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the feedback. We have some good news on the campaign editor- we've just launched our new drag & drop email builder.

It's only in Beta at the moment, however I've added it to your account and you'll be able to use it in your next campaign.

More updates to come based on your feedback, too.

Thanks again,

Brian T.
Automotive, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 11/9/2020

"Small Agency ESP Review"

Comments: Very positive.

Pros: We use EmailOctopus for our small agency to send our newsletters and other targeted email campaigns. Their tool is extremely easy to use and is very cost efficient for small agencies that have to watch every penny. Plus the are continually adding new features to the platform which makes the value increase every quarter!

Cons: Would like the ability to create sub-accounts. And it's a bummer to pay a foreign transaction fee every month.

• Reviewed on 11/9/2020
  • Reviewed on 25/7/2019

"Fantastic low-cost email host"

Comments: I needed an easy and inexpensive way to host email. This has done the trick and then some! Really pleasantly surprised.

Pros: Very easy to use, inexpensive. Great deliverability!

Cons: Doesn't have an easy way to segment your subscribers.

Hi there,

We have some good news on segmentation - we've just launched this as a feature so you can now segment your mailing list based on custom fields and the data that's most important to your business.

• Reviewed on 25/7/2019
Teresa F.
Service Designer
  • Reviewed on 5/8/2020

"Solid free option for creating campaigns and sending newsletters"

Comments: It was easy to start using EmailOctopus, create and send newsletters, and keep track of their stats. Wound up switching back to MailChimp because newsletters often did not reach many of the recipients with EmailOctupus.

Pros: - The free version is good enough for use in a small company
- Campaigns are easy to create, start, and track
- Mailing lists are easy to create, import, export and edit
- Easy to use, even for new users

Cons: - Emails often did not reach their target recipients
- Editor could have more features

• Reviewed on 5/8/2020
Ashima D.
Director of Product and Engineering
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 8/8/2019

"Amazing Product"

Comments: Absolutely love it, we’re using Email Octopus to drive monthly utilization and it is amazing! The low cost is also fabulous!

Pros: Email Octopus makes our monthly newsletters and release notes so easy! The templates and features to send out details are so easy and user friendly that anyone can use it with out too much training.

Cons: I wish there was a heat map to see where users clicked most in our emails but that is a feature request not a con.

• Reviewed on 8/8/2019
Graeme F.
Design, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 11/3/2020

"10 mins to send an entire campaign"

Pros: The ease of setting up Email Octopus meant I could sign up send a new campaign to 15k ppl within 10 mins.
It's very simple and easy to get started - email can be stressful, but Email Octopus makes it 100x better!

Cons: Maybe there could be API options to send email.

• Reviewed on 11/3/2020
Steven W.
Religious Institutions, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 31/8/2020

"E-mail Octopus is a great platform"

Comments: Overall, our experience has been great. Any time I've had a question or a problem the support center is very responsive, even factoring in the time lag because I'm in the United States and they are in Great Britain.

Pros: E-mail Octopus is very easy to use. It is an intuitive program. Over the past three years that we have been using it it has been nearly flawless. But the best thing about it is it's affordability and flexibility.

Cons: If I had to pick just one thing about the program that I would change would be on the reporting side. It gives good data about the number of opens, numbers who unsubscribe and bounces. However when they report clicks the base it not just on the number of opens but also factor in even the number who never opened the e-mail. To me, that doesn't make sense. How can you report data on someone who never even opens the e-mail.The realistic number of click throughs should be based on the actual number of the people who have opened the e-mail. That is the most accurate data a user like myself can benefit from.

Michelle C.
Business Owner
Professional Training & Coaching, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 21/9/2020

"Great new product"

Comments: EmailOctopus has been great. Technical support helped me resolve an issue quickly.

Pros: Very user friendly and easy to use. The ease of use and brand colours fit my brand.

Cons: Can't save images, however the ease of use make templates easy to access.

• Reviewed on 21/9/2020
Ian R.
  • Reviewed on 10/12/2019

"I Only Use This Software Because it Works"

Comments: I ave never really had any issues with Email Octopus and only have good things to say. If you are using something else for your email services, I highly recommend you check this out. They are easy to use, very affordable, and the service is clean/not bogged down with a bunch of stuff that no one uses.

Pros: Easy to use dashboard, all the basic features I want without all the fluff of the other software out there, and the price is WAY better than most

Cons: It can be a pain to set it up with AWS. I would recommend getting an AWS freelancer to set it up for you initially if you don't know how to work with it

• Reviewed on 10/12/2019
Ryan B.
Trustee, Area 7
Higher Education, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 28/9/2018

"Best Email Service Anywhere"

Comments: Outstanding. I have so much control and flexibility to use this service for so many bulk emailing applications and I can scale up or down to mirror my busy seasons. I have been thrilled with this service for years.

Pros: I have been a user of EmailOctopus for years and have seen the company, services, and functionality grow and develop over time. The customer service has been extraordinary whenever I have had questions and I have always received highly respectful communications from this company. They know that your success makes them succeed as well so they are in your corner every step of the way and they treat customers fairly at all times. The ease and flexibility of this web-based program are outstanding and I have made recommendations in the past that have since been implemented. What the service is now is a godsend for anyone needing to send bulk emails whether frequently or occasionally because they allow you to scale up or down to your needs, which I see as further proof of their customer first philosophy. The setup is easy if you follow the instructions or ask for any help and once you are setup with amazon and email octopus, you can be confident that you will achieve everything you desire with this service. Best of luck to you all in future endeavors.

Cons: None Exist. Try to change my mind. This service is outstanding.

Jacques-louis K.
Marketer
Media Production, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/8/2019

"I tried many Email services and EmailOctopus is my favorite"

Pros: - Very low cost: EmailOctopus uses Amazon Simple Mail Service to send emails, for a fraction of the cost of other email platforms - Integrated API: I automate my list building using EmailOctopus full featured API. I can connect EmailOctopus to my workflow - Real-time statistics: watch in real time how your campaigns perform - Outstanding support: I needed support to use the API and got great help from them

Cons: It lacks a list segmentation feature and the list contacts editing could be more user friendly.

Hi Jacques-Louis,

• Reviewed on 14/8/2019
Kristian V.
Information Services, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/9/2020

"Excellent"

Comments: Amazing. Great support, fantastic features & unbelievable ease of use.

Pros: A simple, powerful tool to automate & scale your email communication.

Cons: There are no cons. The company is growing, and progressively improving their services.

• Reviewed on 14/9/2020
Ian R.
  • Reviewed on 2/5/2019

"Easy to Use and Great ROI"

Comments: I have used Email Octopus for a couple/few years now and I have not had an issue - which is saying something. The times I had a question or two, they were responsive and helped me out. Overall great experience.

Pros: Easy to use, great pricing, support has always been responsive, and they always seem to be improving things. I like the clear and easy dashboard that isn't cluttered with all sorts of stuff that I don't need.

Cons: Integrations with other software is a bit limited.

Co-Founder, CEO
Real Estate, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 28/9/2018

"The BEST Email Platform for "Large Audience" Campaigns for Starter Businesses"

Comments: I have had a wonderful experience, as for this pricing, there is no service I've found that can "go fast" from the get go and start sending large quantities of mail to your lists.

Pros: The number 1 key of this software is their unique ability to plug into your Amazon Email Platform account. This allows you to send out MANY MANY more emails on a daily basis than any other platform I have come across. Not to mention the ease of ability to upload the lists from wherever you have built them before.

Cons: The biggest difficulty is that there are not comprehensive statistics set up in the back office to individually see what emails are opening and reading your emails. Or the ones that are clicking. That is a step down from where I was before.

Mo C.
Content Writer & Social Media Manager
  • Reviewed on 29/9/2018

"EmailOctopus is the best value for email marketing hands down!"

Comments: EmailOctopus lets me email by list affordably, quickly, and easily. It enabled me to reach my customers regularly with a high deliverability rate, virtually no spam complaints (EmailOctopus is integrated with Amazon SES) , and the price cannot be beat. Forget the rest and use EmailOctopus!

Pros: EmailOctopus is easy to use, has a clean and simple to use interface, and has the best price for email marketing that makes it affordable. I tried many other competitors, and EmailOctopus is the best by far.

Cons: I'd like to see the ability to segment email lists and more ready-to-use templates.

• Reviewed on 29/9/2018
Pete S.
District Associate
Nonprofit Organisation Management, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 10/9/2020

"EmailOctopus is a Great Inexpensive Option Among a Field of Competitors Pricing Out Small Nonprofits"

Comments: It has been easy, affordable, and effective to get our email campaigns going with EmailOctopus. It really is the right solution for us.

Pros: It is the price and simplicity that drew me to EmailOctopus and make it the right solution for our organization. While it lacks some of the advanced features of competitors like MailChimp and Constant Contact, it has the features that we need to manage our email campaigns. List management, simple segmentation, basic email campaigns, and a simple editor that makes it easy to create good looking emails is exactly what we needed.

Cons: I wish that we could do a little more with the custom fields in the member lists. For example, you can't include dynamic content based on a field on a subscriber's profile except for the contents of the field itself.

Scott M.
Writer
  • Reviewed on 2/5/2019

"Exceelent option for editorial newsletters"

Comments: I use EmailOctopus to send monthly editorial email newsletters, and it excels at this. I'm able to have total control over the aesthetic of the emails I send, and the dashboard isn't cluttered with marketing features that I'll never use. All the other services I tested and compared either imposed their own aesthetic on the user, or offered full customization but were bloated with marketing features – or both. EmailOctopus is ideal for my use case.

Pros: EmailOctopus dispenses with all the tools for marketers that other services offer and focuses on a simple but crucial set of features: straightforward list management, fine-grained control over templating, clear workflow, sensible analytics that don't veer into creepy surveillance territory.

Cons: All that said, there are a couple features that would be nice to have: embedded subscription forms that don't need jQuery, and a CSS inlining tool for building custom templates (many others are available; it would just be nice to have it all in one place).

Kehinde A.
Computer & Network Security, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2/5/2019

"Email Octopus For Easy Emailing"

Comments: I use it for email marketing; list building, automation and broadcasting messages to my existing list.

Pros: Simplicity of the User Interface, AWS Integration and Delivery quality.

Cons: The price farely high given to the fact that I still have to pay AWS.

Tj M.
  • Reviewed on 2/5/2019

"Breaking up with ML was the best thing I did"

Comments: I can't say enough good things about them. From the moment I decided to use their service and ongoing. When I have had a question or issue, they respond almost immediately (time zones:). They listen and respond directly. My email open and click rates have improved SIGNIFICANTLY since changing providers and my SPAM complaints have dropped as well.

Pros: I like that this service is easy to use, intuitive, and comes with a great cost in comparison to other providers. Every feature has clear guidelines and tutorials if you don't already understand how it works. My emails are clean, responsive and attractive without being garish or too cluttered.

Cons: There are some features that it would be good to have, such as list-scrubbing features to prevent adding members who are already subscribed, and to resend to people who did not open an email. BUT- the company is very responsive and has been developing new features that they have been implementing!

Internet, Self Employed

"Amazing Newsletter Service"

Comments: I tried a couple of times the support. Every time they answered my questions with a solution or at least a promise to update the web in the future.

Pros: I used other third web apps for my newsletter. I saw once a newsletter from emailoctopus and I decided to try. I was shocked how it was so easy the setup and the affordable price. I love the automation option. I use it for my funnels and it works very well.

Cons: I would like to redirect my subscribers to a custom page after the confirmation email.

Aaron M.
Education Management, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 10/9/2020

"Value for Email Marketing is Great"

Comments: Love EO. Wish I would have switched sooner

Pros: Compare EO to other Email Marketing and it is easy to use with all features you expect. Great value for $$ spent and accessible customer service too. Save money and use this great marketing tool.

Cons: At this point EO has all needed to run a small business marketing program.

Teresa H.
author
  • Reviewed on 3/5/2019

"A Nice, Affordable Option"

Comments: Overall, this has been a positive experience, and I would recommend EmailOctopus.

Pros: The price is excellent, and I love that they're unrolling features constantly. Two of my favorite features are automation (a must-have), and drag-and-drop design.

Cons: It's not always intuitive to use, so I sometimes have to ask for support. However, they always get back to me quickly. Also, I'm desperate for list segmentation and have been asking for that feature for a while now.

Hi Teresa,

• Reviewed on 3/5/2019
Business Development
Fund-Raising, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 28/9/2018

"EmailOctopus - Best Value Around"

Comments: I switched to EmailOctopus in 2017 from another email vendor and so far I have not been disappointed. It’s easy to use, fantastic value for money and the support team are very responsive.

Pros: Ease of use
Value for money
Good support team

Cons: Basically it has Limited functionality