15 years helping Irish businesses

Blackboard Learn Reviews

About Blackboard Learn

Low-maintenance, modern & simple. Blackboard Learn is a market-leading LMS redesigned in collaboration with the education community.

Learn more about Blackboard Learn

Pros:

A few dollars more is well worth the money spent.

Cons:

I'm paying for the courses because institutions are supposed to pay for the use of the platform. But it happens frequently that the platform is down.

Blackboard Learn ratings

3.9
4.0
4.1
4.1

7.5/10

Blackboard Learn has an overall rating of 4.1 out 5 stars based on 510 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Blackboard Learn before?

Nhat
Nhat
Instructor in US
Education Management, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Blackboard Learn Review

Comments: I had great experience with Blackboard Learn and I will continue to use it in the future. I have not found any other education software out there that can do what Blackboard Learn does.

Pros:

It is easy to use and has all of the feature I need like auto grade, the ability to create quiz and text on the fly and allow the student to get involved in the discussion.

Cons:

There is nothing I do not like about the software.

Jamie
Jamie
Salesforce Developer + Admin in US
Computer Software, 11–50 Employees

Reliable where it counts

Pros:

Blackboard is a rather intuitive learning platform, packed with a huge amount of features. If you need it for your school, it can be done. There were also a number of training materials and good customer support. It's reliable, which means students and instructors will know when to expect outages and prepare accordingly.

Cons:

The UI, until recently, was a bit stale and outdated in appearance. Thankfully this has been updated and seems more modernistic now. It is also a bit more expensive than alternatives.

Erin
Student in UK

An Essential Tool for University

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

Blackboard brings everything you need into one easy to access and navigate place.

Cons:

Nothing in particular stands out other than the occasional updates that are required.

Director of the Global Stuudio in US
Education Management, 501–1,000 Employees

BlackBoard Learn is a Relic of a Bygone Era

Comments: I have used BlackBoard Learn for 5 years now, and I can report that it's a tool that I've tolerated with a fair degree of frustration, as opposed to a tool that I'd relish and recommend to others.

Pros:

BlackBoard Learn is a reliable tool for basic communication, content collection, and assessments. There are convenience factors baked into its framework in the sense that instructors can readily copy and reuse materials from earlier semesters, but other capabilities have far surpassed the benefits of this complacency factor. Also, the price point of BlackBoard Learn is extremely compelling, and they have reliable customer support and service.

Cons:

Doing anything on BlackBoard Learn requires significantly more clicks and testing than competing products. The design is clunky, and it directly contradicts the instructional delivery of faculty who know what else is out there, as well as the learning-design preferences of Gen-Z students.

Angelica
Educator in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, Self Employed

Blackboard learn a way of improving virtual times

Comments: Overall excellent experience when familiarized with all tools even though, their continuous updates make it difficult to say that you know the platform 100 percent

Pros:

Platform organization, accessibility (accessible on mobile devices), and also ensures a safe and protected learning environment.

Cons:

The cost of the platform compared to other learning platforms. Also, complexity when first exposed to it

Higher Education, 501–1,000 Employees

A decent LMS, but there are better ones out there that have less workability issues

Comments: I have used both Blackboard and Moodle in the past, and I found them very similar for what they offered. I would have been fine using Blackboard indefinitely had I not found out about Canvas, which is what we are using now and I am absolutely it's biggest fan!

Pros:

I used Blackboard for almost 10 years, and it was a decent LMS for my needs. When Blackboard Collaborate came out, it was even better because it added a new layer of possibilities (I could have several webinar/conversations going, merge conversations, and/or present to different groups at one time). However, there were always bugs in the system, even though we updated constantly. The Blackboard app was also very limited.

Cons:

Too many bugs and freezes; many of my students had issues with accessing links when they used different internet browsers. Good for a small school or business, but not larger ones.

Andrea
Andrea
Content Creator and Social Media Marketing Manager in Mexico
Broadcast Media, 2–10 Employees

After the pandemic, Blackboard Learn became a staple for online education

Pros:

I like that it organizes courses in a very neat way, the website is easy to navigate and looks great visually. The calendar is very helpful.

Cons:

It's not very easy to use for teachers. They often have a hard time understanding all of the features Blackboard provides.

Gerald
Design, 501–1,000 Employees

Blackboard as a home base for college students

Comments: I had a fairly pleasant experience with blackboard, i was able to do much of the tasks I expect to be able to do on an LMS. I just wish that the design interface would be more simple and modern. Also more functionalities and integrations would be nice. Eg: opening a pdf file on blackboard directly instead of a redirection to a page or a pop up

Pros:

I like that it is fairly easy to use. Users don’t require extensive training to be able to use the product, and I like that as a student I can upload assignments and get learning modules from the same place, so it is convenient.

Cons:

I think the user interface design is a bit outdated. It is less appealing than other LMS such as canvas learn. I also hear a lot of my professors complain about how complicated it is on their side to navigate blackboard due to the repetitiveness and redundancy of blackboard.

Marti
Faculty Instructor in US
E-Learning, 201–500 Employees

Not bad, but could be better

Comments: My overall experience has been somewhat frustrating. I used a different platform at the previous university, and the transition to Blackboard Learn has not been an easy one. I have not had the time to learn all the functions available, and some of the features I would like (from my previous platform) are not available with Blackboard Learn.

Pros:

Blackboard Learn employs a feature where many other apps and learning platforms can be smoothly integrated into the LMS.

Cons:

I do not find Blackboard Learn to be intuitive.

Mickey
Financial Controller in Taiwan
Computer Software, 11–50 Employees

Easy tool for following courses

Pros:

Blackboard has a very clear and easy to use interface which makes improves access to information for all your courses.

Cons:

The main drawback is the occasional upload failure which can either be due to a system failure or an unsupported file.

Wassim
Associate Professor in US
Computer Networking, 501–1,000 Employees

Blackboard Learn: The Leading LMS Platform for Higher Education

Comments: Very great experience. I rely on Blackboard Learn in managing all my online/face-to-face courses. I also rely on it in providing training sessions, tutorials, and office hours.

Pros:

I have been using Blackboard Learn to support my undergraduate and graduate university courses. I mainly use it to flexibly:1. Post course lecture notes and recorded videos.2. Post assignments and manage their submission policies and due dates3. Conduct exams and quizzes4. Post grades to students and link it to Banner to be on the University database system5. Use many tools such as Blackboard Collaborate to conduct video conferencing sessions and office hours with students

Cons:

Creating exams and assessments can be streamlined in a better way to create questions of different types more flexibly and rapidly. I recommend having a tool to do MCQ grading (such as Gradescope) integrated in the Blackboard LMS. Moreover, integrating video editing tools into the LMS itself would be a great addition as well.

Lee
Program Coordinator in US
E-Learning, 501–1,000 Employees

BLACKBOARD LEARN – you don’t know how good something is until it’s gone!

Comments: Blackboard Learn (BBL) was much better than we knew! You don’t always have control over what tools or LMS you have to use, but if you (or someone else) think that you’d prefer a different LMS - BE CAREFUL what you wish for! I loved the Grade Book’s versatility and ability to easily download it for offline management when needed. Also, when we still had BBL (yes, ‘they’ have switched us to a different LMS) I used it for online classes and as an e-Companion to onsite classes. Loading and transferring content and tests was pretty easy. I MISS BBL!

Pros:

I found that Blackboard Learn is much easier to use than other online platforms used in higher education. Being able to easily add materials and instructional documents to an online course is critical especially when a department adopts a new edition of a textbook. The quiz/test builder within Blackboard Learn is also quite user friendly and being able to export exams from a previous course and import to a future course is a real time saver!

Cons:

The discussion board when entering grades can sometimes be a little confusing, trying to determine if the student is replying to a classmate’s post – especially if the student has not included the classmate’s name in their reply, but that’s really more due to a student not following instructions and not the program.

Cary
Assistant Professor - History in US
Higher Education, 5,001–10,000 Employees

True and Tried (but also Tired)

Comments: Please see above :). I've used BB since I was in college (back in the aughts) and regret that my future students at CSUSB will not have access to it moving forward. Even still, I likely won't miss the gradebook, though Canvas' leaves much to desire as well...

Pros:

I know it extremely well, find it to be easy to operate, think its features are strong and easily accessible, and have had very few incidents with students being totally baffled by it. We switched to Canvas this year, and I rue the day the decision was made.

Cons:

The GUI for our version of Blackboard was extremely dated (we did not use Ultra, which frankly seems like a Canvas clone). I would offer the following analogy... Blackboard : Canvas :: PowerPoint : Keynote (... and I'm a PC user). It's boxy, somewhat drab, and looks a bit 'late Geocities // Fark.com'-era. EVEN STILL: I don't mind it - I'd rather have functionality than aesthetics, which is the tradeoff made with Canvas. DEADLY SERIOUS NOTE HERE: The BB Gradebook has always been, continues to be, and seemingly will forever remain an enormous hassle. It is slow, tedious to adjust, difficult to manage, and user unfriendly.

Cody
Director of Online Learning and Instructional Technology in US
Higher Education, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Blackboard works well enough, still trying to catch up.

Comments: Blackboard works well enough for what we need to use it for. There are other LMS that work equally as well, if not better, so there is healthy competition to push Blackboard to improve.

Pros:

Blackboard is a relatively stable platform with few major bugs that restrict users from completing tasks. It has a long history and many users are familiar with the LMS.

Cons:

Some of the tools don't always work as smoothly as you'd like. They are making major improvements but there are still issues that come up to make it a cohesive experience and tools not feel as disjointed.

Hannah
Clerical Assistant in US
Education Management, 501–1,000 Employees

Needs some work for organization

Comments: Not great. If I were to choose, I would go with canvas, which my university will be switching to in the next four years.

Pros:

Probably my favorite thing about this software is how you can link videos, external links, and also professors can create quizzes, assignments, and tests on the platform and select various settings for their individual assignment/assessment. I LOVE taking tests on here because they are straight forward.

Cons:

They really need to add a "flag" feature to the tests that are made and administered through the program. There have been many times when I am taking a long multiple-choice test and am not sure of the answer but then remember it 20 questions later, but by that time I can't find the original question that I remembered the answer for. The organization of this information system is, however, trash. Navigating around the site between classes and tabs within each class is annoying and not very intuitive. The way the site is made reminds me of someone trying to make a sign with a lot of diverse information, but everything on the sign is 12pt time new roman font - there's little differentiation between different ideas and concepts.

ZAiN
ZAiN
QA in Saudi Arabia
Information Technology & Services, 51–200 Employees

Industry Standard LMS

Comments: Blackboard integrated seamlessly with our current system, Microsoft Teams

Pros:

With an established ecosystem and many tools available, Blackboard is my go to LMS for schools and other educational institutions

Cons:

Blackboard is a bit pricey, however you get a polished piece of software.

Stephanie
E-Learning, 10,000+ Employees

Great Platform For My College Courses

Comments: Overall I would recommend blackboard learn to others it’s an easy way to access your grades your courses and assignments for your college course that you’re taking. There are some things that can be fixed like the interface to make it easier for people to see certain things but overall I would recommend blackboard.

Pros:

What I like the most about Blackboard Learn is the easy navigation of looking up my college courses. I am able to see what is due for each class on the calendar. I also love that I can get notifications that something is graded especially if it is for an assignment or test that I am waiting to see my grade.

Cons:

One thing I don’t like about Blackboard is that there are outages and glitches sometimes and there is no notification about when it will be fixed or if it is ever going to be fixed. Another thing is the interface can be confusing to some people and may take some time to get used to.

Higher Education, 501–1,000 Employees

Great for Online Learning

Comments: My overall experience with Blackboard has been good overall. Although it has not been very easy to use, it still offers great features for instructors and students.

Pros:

Blackboard Learn is a great platform both for offline and online learning. It has a lot of nice features and allows instructors to structure their courses in an organized manner. Online tests are also a great feature that allow students to take tests at their own time. Blackboard Learn has also an automatic grading system to evaluate the student's work.

Cons:

Although Blackboard Learn has a lot of important features, it is not very user-friendly in the edit mode for instructors, and is very hard to use, especially for beginners. In addition, browsing student submissions is not very streamlined as opening a link in a new tab will not actually open the selected item but take you to the home page.

Prutha
Education Management, 10,000+ Employees

Great LMS for University

Comments: It is very customizable to your individual class/course. I would highly recommend it.

Pros:

I have used this as a user and as an administrator and it is a great LMS. I allows for easy communication sent to all students/teachers in a course.

Cons:

There is limited activity tracking for students and visuals could be improved.

Kenatu
Senior Programmer Analyst in Canada
Primary/Secondary Education, Self Employed

Hammer To Swat a Fly

Comments: Blackboard is a classic case of good product upgrading too much until you lose what made it great. It has a lot of value added features, so much so that you can no longer find the simple things. They should also focus on getting the bugs out of what is really needed and not focus so much on adding more. Keep it simple, stupid KISS. over all a pretty decent LMS but there are better for less.

Pros:

Feature Rich - lots of value added functionality Love that there are break out rooms for each session Clickable rubrics - awesome Cons 345/100 characters minimum

Cons:

Grading system is too granular. if you use this it makes it too easy for a few bad assignments to tank students grades and gives the instructor more work. What do you have against independent content. I create videos using Camtasia and Movavi, but its often a fight get them placed where I'd like or even to get them to run in the first place.

faculty in US

New Bb Rollout

Comments: My institution just rolled out the updated Blackboard platform. I CANNOT UNDERSTATE HOW DISAPPOINTING IT IS! It is harder to use and Bb has removed many of the options for customizing the look and feel of course environments. The MOST ANNOYING change is the locked "institution" bar on the left side of the screen. It is taking up precious screen space... it is not movable. AND the x "close course" box on the top left is too easy to click on... I have already had the problem of having a course close a number of times when I was working on it because I scrolled over that box. This IS REALLY BAD. Stupid design. A move backwards.

Pros:

Ability to share lecture recordings and instructional material.

Cons:

The changes are in the wrong direction. Only 1 discussion folder. Moving from ability for instructors to customise the look and feel of a course to more standardization.

Christopher
Undergraduate Student in US
Education Management, 201–500 Employees

Undergraduate Learning with Blackboard Learn

Comments: My overall experience with Blackboard Learn was optimal as a student in college.

Pros:

I found this advantageous when I was in college as an undergraduate. It was great to track my course work and online assignments through this LMS. For its time it was adequate with the UI layout but to modern look and feel of websites and web application software in 2020 it would be outdated unless they revamped the display of everything.

Cons:

It was just a bit clunky at times and occasionally a pain in the @$$ but it still got the job done. It might have been that my student user rights weren't fully configured and there was a lack of training from the university for students to use the tool and not on the fault of Blackboard Learn.

Elena
Lecturer in US

Using BB

Comments: I have a good platform for online and in-person lessons.

Pros:

Simple in use, easy to explore. It didn't take too much time to get used to this product

Cons:

Not enough functionality - no options for embedded videos, you can not insert links or audio files in the body of the learning module, only below.

Rebekah
Sole Proprietor in US
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed

Functional, with some philosophical flaws

Comments: It served its purpose and I don't recall any major issues with use, but when I graduated high school I was delighted to switch to Canvas in college instead. Everything about Blackboard struck me, as a student, as outdated and depressing.

Pros:

Blackboard is easy to learn and usually intuitively easy for any goal you have. It helps coordinate large teams or classes, and with creative use can be set up to use most styles of teaching (group discussions, online learning, video/attachments, etc).

Cons:

My concerns with Blackboard are at the philosophical level. From the way it is systematically set up, you can tell that it uses some outdated methods of teaching. Use as a student can feel oppressive, with students too easily shut down and overruled and the general aesthetic vibe being a bit darker and more confined than examples such as Canvas.

Krystal
Instructor in US

Gets better every year

Pros:

I like that I can add content, links, video's that can be played right from Blackboard. Each year this system gets better and more versatile to use. It also does not require much training to lean how to use it which make it user friendly on both sides. I also like that I can pull it up on my my phone even if the fromat is not always right.

Cons:

It can be hard to find certain things and often tabs are hidden withing other tabs. This an also be frustrating to students when trying to locate content. The mobile app does also have some kinks, it does not format well. It is nice to check things like grades but not alot of work can be done from the mobile app.