15 years helping Irish businesses

About Countfire

True automated takeoff software that actually works. Save time, money and increase accuracy. Start your FREE TRIAL today.

Learn more about Countfire

Pros:

The ease of integration, no software to install locally.

Cons:

There is no 'back' button to help you correct mistakes - you have to rely on not saving changes which is not ideal.

Countfire ratings

4.7
5.0
4.6
4.4

9.4/10

Countfire has an overall rating of 4.8 out 5 stars based on 200 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Countfire before?

Nicholas
Nicholas
Director of ARCS Division in US

Future of Estimating

Pros:

Countfire is a dream to use. It does everything I wanted when I imagined a program to help automate the takeoff process, and they are still improving and adding more. The ability to hide the background and define zones are two features that make complicated plans go so much quicker. Out of the hundreds of projects we've completed already, very few have issues that hinder the programs functionality. But when something like that does pop up, there is always somebody to respond quickly and take a look. They always are happy to hear customer feedback and take suggestions. I can't say enough good about the team behind this software, they are going to change the industry. I can't believe a couple of months ago in 2021 I was still printing drawings and using a yellow highlighter.

Cons:

What I like least about the software is the output excel file is a bit complicated compared to what we are used to. I only count devices of one discipline at a time, there is really no reason for more than one sheet. After I download the take off from countfire I always delete about half the rows / columns and transpose the x and y.

Emma
Proposals Manager in UK
Computer & Network Security, 51–200 Employees

Best for Take Off's

Comments: Really positive, everyone i have dealt with has been extremely helpful

Pros:

You can complete take offs with covering 1 item multiple times in 1 symbol or you can manually count them off using the measure tool. You can overlap drawings, this is great when you have multiple drawings for 1 floor for example

Cons:

Sometimes the dropbox link isnt sent o my email once processing my take off.

2 months ago

Thanks for the amazing review Emma! We have a bunch of features to help you takeoff your drawings super quickly and accurately including our automatic counting tools and our measure tools. Great to hear you're finding the Floor plan feature helpful – it allows you to stitch your drawings together to see the whole layout in a single view. There are a few different ways to access your takeoff outputs. As well as Dropbox and OneDrive integrations, you can also download them directly from the app. If you ever have an issue accessing your outputs, just send us a message on our in-app live chat at the orange button in the bottom right hand corner of Countfire – our support team will be happy to help get it sorted for you.

Olivia
Olivia
Junior project manager in US
Design, 11–50 Employees

I love this software

Comments: This program saves so much time and the exports are easily readable.

Pros:

I love the customer support and the time it saves me.

Cons:

There are some features that are unavailable right now, but they are constantly making improvements. I actually just had something I voted for added to the functionality of the program.

2 months ago

Awesome review – thanks Olivia! We're super proud of our support – we have a live chat to answer any questions you have and offer free online training to make sure you're getting the most out of the software. Great to hear you're able to save time and produce easily-readable outputs. You're spot on – our technical team are constantly working to release hundreds of platform enhancements every year to make Countfire even better. We encourage our users to 'Give feedback' on the orange button at the bottom right hand corner of Countfire.

Merv
Senior Electrical Estimator in UK
Construction, 201–500 Employees

Users Review of Countfire

Comments: I have been using Countfire for 8 years and is the best counting and measuring software on the market by far. Ease of use.

Pros:

Countfire has been developed specifically for take off from PDF drawings. The ease of take from PDF drawings and the export in Excel. The ability to create zones that match the tender breakdown/CSA. The exceptional level and speed of support is second to none.

Cons:

The estimating package need a lot of work to be used by major M&E companies. The left hand margin and contents are fixed. This needs to be flexible to move and change fonts etc. Can be slow for take with the background on. (Sometimes the background need to stay)

2 months ago

Best counting and measuring software on the market by far – love it! Thanks Merv. You're spot on – Countfire has been designed by Estimators for Estimators with loads of features to help improve the speed and accuracy of your takeoffs. Our support is something we're really proud of. From online training sessions to our in-app live chat, we do our best to make sure all of our users get the most out of the software. Thanks for the feedback on the Estimating side of the software. We've recently added the ability to add prelims to your estimates and produce custom reports to suit your requirements. If you'd like to take a look, just let us know and we can set up a quick video call.

Caelan
Construction, 201–500 Employees

One year review of the Countfire software

Pros:

The takeoff software allows the user to quickly takeoff any project. The symbol counting tool is impressive and in the future when the project is in a later build most estimators will use this software.

Cons:

The technology, while impressive hasn't reached perfection yet. I believe in years to come this will no longer be a problem. An example of this is the symbol counting software which doesn't accurately take off every symbol. To counteract this Countfire allows you to take as many snippets of the symbol as you want. Hopefully in the near future this will no longer be an issue.

6 months ago

Thanks for the review Caelan, glad you have been impressed with Countfire! Absolutely – it's great you have been able to complete your takeoffs quicker. We acknowledge there's always room for improvement – our product team work in two week cycles to release hundreds of platform enhancements a year. Countfire finds matches based on your selections. Occasionally, depending how the drawing has been created, symbols can be drawn differently so they don't automatically match with your first selection. To count these different symbols, just make additional selections under the same symbol heading. Really welcome feedback from our users. To submit a feature request click on the orange button in the bottom right-hand corner of the app and choose "Give Feedback".

Caroline
Admin and Operations Assistant in UK
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 11–50 Employees

My review of countfire

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Excellent. No problem is too much to ask for help from the team. They are very responsive and helpful.

Pros:

I like that it saves me time on larger projects that have a lot to quantify, as well as making measurements easier and quicker.

Cons:

I have had the odd drawing where it doesn't pick up the symbols very well.

last month

Thanks for the great review Caroline! Awesome to hear Countfire is saving you time and you're finding our support responsive and helpful. There are a few things that can cause your symbols to not be picked up well including the format of the drawings and the way the drawings have been created. If you run into this on a project, I'd always recommend sending us a message on the orange button in the bottom right hand corner of the app – our support team can take a look and see if there's anything we can do to improve the quality of the drawings.

Erhan
Quantity Surveyor in UK
Construction, 2–10 Employees

Absolute time saver

Pros:

Customer support. Whenever I need to know anything about software, I am answered in 2 mins.

Cons:

I would love to work with dwg. files either. Because sometimes pdf files converted from dwg can be corrupted.

6 months ago

Absolute time saver – love it, thanks Erhan! Awesome to hear you've had a great experience with our support team – if you ever have any questions, you can send us a message on the orange button in the bottom right hand corner of the app. Files do need to be in PDF format to upload into Countfire. As long as the drawing has been exported to a proper PDF format (rather than a 2D PDF or image format), you shouldn't have any problems using all of the features of Countfire. Unfortunately if the drawing is a 2D format or an image, you're not able to count these with the automatic counting tool but we do have a manual count tool available.

Lee
Business Development Manager in UK
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 51–200 Employees

Fantastic bit of Software

Pros:

I found Countfire very easy to use and the speed of takeoffs for various systems saved valuable time. The online chat and support is fantastic too.

Cons:

there are a few quirks but that wouldn't stop us from using.

2 months ago

Awesome review – thanks Lee! We'd love to hear more about the quirks you experienced. You can send your feedback on the orange button at the bottom right hand corner of Countfire – either send us a message on our live chat or leave us a feature request at the "Give feedback' button.

Jamie
Telecommunications, 51–200 Employees

Countfire review

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: Enjoy using countfire, it is a very handy tool to have for work.

Pros:

Helps produce accurate take offs and minimizes mistakes.

Cons:

Drawings can be very slow to load and can be waiting a while.

2 weeks ago

Great review – thanks Jamie! Awesome to hear you're minimising mistakes and improving accuracy with Countfire. Sometimes drawings are very complex and the layout is actually made up of lots of small parts – these drawings can be a little slow to load. If you run into this on any future projects, I'd recommend sending us a message on the orange button at the bottom right hand corner of Countfire. Our technical team can take a look and see if they can improve the drawing quality, speeding up the load time in-app.

Nick
Project Manager in UK
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 11–50 Employees

Easy, powerful tool

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: Great, would definitely recommend. Saved time on pricing jobs.

Pros:

It's very easy to use and guidance is available very quickly.

Cons:

Unable to move plans between disciplines

2 weeks ago

Thanks for the great review Nick! Being able to move your drawings between disciplines would definitely be useful – we have a feature request for it. You can add your vote by searching 'Move drawings / pages between disciplines' at the 'Give feedback' section on our orange support button in-app.

Fredericksun
Estimator in US

Best Estimating Takeoff Software

Comments: I've only been using it for a month or so but it has been very nice. The support team is phenomenal. They are very good at fixing any problems you might face. There is also a feature request page that you can request new features and everyone can vote on them and then the Countfire team will work on implementing that feature. The Countfire team is very active and always looking for new ways to make the experience better.

Pros:

Features that I like the best: The Support: User Interface: I really like the clean simple user interface. It looks very nice and up to date unlike a lot of the competition. Autocount: In comparison to other software such as Livecount, Planswift, Bluebeam, eTakeoff, etc. Countfire is by far faster. I've used Livecount & Planswift the most. Countfire can do in 2 seconds what Livecount & Planswift takes 3 minutes to do. I can select a fixture type to autocount and it will find every fixture with extreme accuracy on every plan page in 2 seconds or less (Tested with a plan set of 120+ pages) Background Hide: Countfire has the ability to hide the background on a drawing. This is very useful when you have a messy plan set or when all the furniture and details are on the same page as the electrical. You can toggle it on and off. You can also define what is a part of the background and it will hide it. This makes it so much easier to see only the electrical stuff. Hide Counted Symbols. (Only works for symbols counted with autocount). This is a feature that most of the estimating takeoff software has but this does it in a much different way. It will actually hide the symbols that have been counted not just the digitizer count itself. This allows you to toggle off everything that has been counted and now you can see what hasn't been. This only works on the symbols that are counted with autocount. You can still hide the manual digitizer counts but it won't hide the symbol.

Cons:

The estimating side isn't as advanced as some of the other competitors but they are currently working on a big update that will fix most of that.

Kevin
Senior Estimator in UK
Construction, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Kevin McCormack, FES

Pros:

Countfire is easy to use and the customer service team ensure this is always the way. I like how the information is collated and keep things organised.

Cons:

I dont like how you cannot quickly check quantities without processing the take off then downloading. If there was a quick check function then that would be a lot easier for things like sending my luminaire enquiries before i complete my take offs. I understand the risk with not having the checking function doing this but i would be happy to take the risk. Matching overlaid drawings with the zone function is a tedious task and i got excited when i saw the overlay function appear but this function isnt great so zoning remains my least favourite task.

last year

Really appreciate the review Kevin. It's great you find Countfire easy to use and our support team are always happy to help 😊 I see what you mean, it would be helpful to quickly check quantities in-app. There is a feature request for this, I have added your vote towards it and you will receive progress updates - so it's definitely on our radar! The overlay function allows you to see different drawings on top of each other, which is helpful when you need to see how different services / disciplines interact - for example overlaying a containment drawing onto your power drawing to help you visualise containment routes. To help you create zones across different drawings I'd recommend using our floorplan feature - this allows you to 'stitch' multiple drawings together to view the floor as a whole rather than as individual drawings. I'll reach out directly to arrange a quick training session to run through our overlay, compare and floorplan features.

Alex
Apprentice Estimator in UK

Countfire Review - 11/08/2023

Pros:

I really enjoy the fact that it can save so much time! Once you highlight a symbol on one drawing, that symbol will automatically be highlighted on the next, it is such a time saver! It is also very easy to use! After a 1 hour training session, I was confident to get started!

Cons:

As we specialise in fire alarms, it is often that we need to design fire alarm systems for buildings, and we also amend predesigned designs as they're not compliant. It would be great if you can add a feature that can remove a symbol, and replace it with something else. That way, we as a business could do the whole takeoff process for every system on countfire!

8 months ago

Awesome review – thanks Alex! It's great to hear you're saving so much time. You're spot on – Countfire automatically looks for matches for your selections across all drawings in your discipline reducing the repetitive work involved with completing your takeoff manually. Our support is something we're super proud of. As well as training sessions, which are always available not just when you first sign up, you can also access our live chat and help centre via the orange button in the bottom right hand corner of the app. It would definitely be helpful to be able to make amendments to your drawings to make sure the design is compliant – I've added your vote to our feature request for the ability to "add your own custom count symbols" and created a new feature request for the "ability to remove symbols".

James
Sales Director in UK
Facilities Services, 2–10 Employees

Security Take Off and Estimating

Comments: I am very happy with the overall experience of Countfire and would recommend to anyone within the estimating field.

Pros:

Countfire makes the process of estimating so much easier. Take off and drawing review can now take minutes rather than hours allowing myself and the other staff more time to build our relationships with clients. The drawings output is easy to read and check for any areas missed by designers. The software is modern and easy to use. When I have had to speak to support on the rare occasion it was easy and any issues solved within minutes.

Cons:

I would like to be able to group the takeoffs into a "folder" whereby a certain client or consultant information can be together to make it easier to find once you have alot of live or pending projects. Otherwise I cant fault it.

Katherine
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, Self Employed

Countfire Review - Freelance Electrical Estmator

Comments: Had a really good experience with the package and the customer service and help I have received has been excellent

Pros:

Take off software is definitely the stand out area of the software compared to others on the market which require you to manually take off items. This allows you to instantly highlight which then follows through to other pages in the same discipline. Cutting the time to do take offs dramatically

Cons:

The kits can take some time to build up when you first start using the software which can be a bit tedious especially if you are used to working on spreadsheets etc. but if you bear with it it does get much easier and quicker to use.

last year

Great review Katherine - thanks! It's great you've been able to cut the time to complete your takeoffs! You're spot on, when you make a selection Countfire will automatically look for matches across all drawings in your discipline, which significantly speeds up the takeoff process. Also, glad to hear you've had a really good experience with the software and the customer service you've received. I understand where you're coming from, it can take a little time to create your kits while you're building your estimate – but when you create your next estimate, because our powerful auto linking function, Countfire will automatically remember the kits you've previously used and link them to your takeoff items. This also speeds up your estimating process – the more estimates you create, the less work you have to do!

Richard
Electrical Estimating Manager in UK

Gloster MEP & Countfire

Comments: We have massively reduced printing output with Countfire, as well as increased speed with take offs over various disciplines.

Pros:

As a Team, we find this tool very useful collectively as we can help each other, assist in various ways and find the output of the take off/marked up drawings symbol checks very useful.

Cons:

In some areas, perhaps an ability to 'copy & paste' information, words etc could be useful.

Antonio
Design Engineer in UK
Construction, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Countfire - The go to Take Off software

Pros:

The product is very easy to use with excellent customer support if required and lots of tutorials if needed. the system is designed so that items can be counted with ease giving you a final number to evaluate.

Cons:

I would say that the system does not need improvements to state due to the presence of a ticket service which allows users to provide feedback on findings which are constantly reviewed by staff to make he service better.

last year

Thanks so much Antonio. What an amazing review. Support & feedback is something we're super proud of as a business. Our support team are all former estimators and former Countfire customers, so they know both the product and how to estimate, inside and out. It makes for a really nice experience!

Aigars
Estimator Assistant in Ireland
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 201–500 Employees

1st review

Comments: My overall experience has been great.

Pros:

I think it is easy to use and faster then doing a count by printing and manually counting. I like the background drop it makes it easy to see all the things that need to be counted. Another pro is that by using CountFire i don't have to be printing the drawings which helps the environment.

Cons:

sometimes drawings take to long to upload in to the software. I would like to see improvements in the unjoining and joining symbols, the improvement could be that we the users had a choice in which parts of drawings we join or unjoin.

charlie
Senior Electrical Estimator in UK
Construction, 51–200 Employees

Saving time to tackle the high end cost items!

Pros:

The new feature to overlay drawings to save time taking off similar drawings more than once.

Cons:

Can be long processing some complicated drawings.

Dougie
Construction, 501–1,000 Employees

Best thing to happen top take-offs

Pros:

So easy to use and if there is something you're not sure about Support are very quick to respond and walk/ talk you through it

Cons:

Doesnt integrate with 3 party estimation software which would be nice but not essential

2 years ago

Thanks Dougie! Really glad you're getting on well with the software. In terms of estimating, while we don't yet have integrations with other tools, we do have our own estimating side that would be well worth a look. It learns from previous estimates and does a huge amount of heavy lifting for you—means you don't need to reinvent the wheel with each estimate you do. If you haven't had a demo already, I'd recommend firing us a quick message in-app and one of our product specialists can jump on a call and walk you though it.

Dave

Great take off software

Comments: More accurate estimates and better records of take offs

Pros:

Its very easy to use and speeds up the take off the process substantially. The info you get afterwards speeds up inputting of tenders.

Cons:

I would like a great selection of colours when do very large take offs.

Ciaran
Senior Design Engineer in UK

New user review

Pros:

Its ease of use, it is very intuitive and quick to learn, support is always on hand for when you get stuck.

Cons:

Some features aren't available, e.g. moving all zones together at once, it would be great to have it available on an app too, so you can work on PC and iPad when travelling, although very easy to use, some tasks are time consuming

9 months ago

Really appreciate the review Ciaran! Awesome to hear you're finding Countfire intuitive and quick to learn. Our support response times are something we're super proud of and we're always happy to help 😊 Thanks for the feedback on the features you'd like to see in the app. We have a feature request for the ability to move zones in bulk – I can see your vote has already been added. You are able to work remotely on a different PC or a laptop but touchscreen support isn't available at the moment – I've added your vote to our feature request for "Touchscreen / iPad support". You'll receive email updates on our progress towards implementing this feature. It would be great to jump on a session to discuss the tasks you find time consuming and get those ironed out for you – pop us a message on the orange button to get this arranged.

Director in UK
Construction, 11–50 Employees

YPHS Electrical

Comments: fantastic

Pros:

Easy to use fantastic tool , great support service when you need help

Cons:

It would be an advantage if you could free hand and write comments on your dwgs . Maybe this can be an update

Rogerio Di
Construction, Self Employed

Extraordinary

Comments: I feel have happy when new drawings coming in from companies I tender for simply because I know Countfire will help me getting the job done without much effort and in time.

Pros:

-So easy to use -You can count, measure, select -It saves everything into a spreadsheet

Cons:

It could have a small box in one of the corner where you can see where is the mouse when zoomed in, also it would be useful to the drawing number and title showing somewhere instead of having to go to the bottom drawing to check it.

Adnan
Technician in Austria
Civil Engineering, 10,000+ Employees

Good, versatile, fast, ongoing development, active support

Pros:

The software is a good alternative to the usual means of working with large plans, as it saves a lot of time and space/printing materials

Cons:

One of the cons is the requirement of the chrome browser, since the additional software isn't supported by the IT Department.