15 years helping Irish businesses

About Squarespace

Squarespace offers an all-in-one Commerce platform that gives you everything you need to run your business and sell online.

Learn more about Squarespace

Pros:

Easy to deploy and integrates (albeit not seamlessly) with GoDaddy, where we were previously hosting our website. Excellent customer service.

Cons:

In my personal opinion, I think SS is lost with its minimalist phyloshopy and streamlined way of doing things.

Squarespace ratings

4.4
4.4
4.3
4.3

8.3/10

Squarespace has an overall rating of 4.6 out 5 stars based on 2,971 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Squarespace before?

Filter reviews (2,971)

Teighlor
Teighlor
Consumer Services, Self Employed

Squarespace is a great product

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: My overall experience was outstanding using Squarespace!

Pros:

What I enjoyed most about the product was in website building, the templates choice, makes it so easy to build a great looking website.

Cons:

I wish there were easier ways to navigate through controls.

Ikenna
Full Stack Developer in US
Religious Institutions, 51–200 Employees

Squarespace is the Most Reliable Website Builder of this Era

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: Website design and landing pages creation.

Pros:

Squarespace offers WYSIWYG & drag and drop functionality which makes it easy to design websites.

Cons:

Squarespace has all the features that I yearn to use on a daily basis.

Amy
Human Resources, 2–10 Employees

Difficult to use and does not worth the monwy

2.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Poor and bad experience in almost all aspects

Pros:

The only think I liked was the pictures quality to choose from when building the website,

Cons:

Acuity scheduling and their customer support

Ben
Creative and Communications Director in US
Nonprofit Organisation Management, 11–50 Employees

I couldn't be happier with Squarespace as a web-building platform

Comments: This platform was a winner from the start. I had done trials of a few other builders, and I caught on to this one the fastest. It's extremely intuitive, and they have tons of beautiful virtually plug-and-play templates that anyone can use to make a stunning website.

Pros:

Squarespace is so easy to use. Although having a design background helps, you don't have to have one to understand and use this platform. Having said that, it's also an incredibly powerful tool, with comprehensive features.

Cons:

As I have found with any website-building tool, there always seem to be a handful of features that seem like no brainers, but aren't offered. I found this to be the case when I wanted a scrolling carousel of images. But, there are always work arounds, and although it was a bit more work, I figured out how to use the tools offered to get close to my desired result.

Joshua
Digital Media Director in US
Religious Institutions, 2–10 Employees

Great Website Hosting Platform!

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Pros:

Squarespace makes it easy to design and manage a website, for those who need something easy. They have most of the features I need, and continue to improve!

Cons:

I wish SO BAD that they would make calendar events that could repeat for a set time (like once a week for x number of weeks). It's a simple feature that they just won't update! It's huge for our church. Maybe one day...

Julia
Graphic Designer in US Virgin Islands
Design, Self Employed

Sleek & Intuitive. All in one platform.

5.0 last month New

Pros:

I like that squarespace is very sleek and modern looking. All of the templates are essentially set up so you can swap out your own content. I've tried every other platform and I return to Squarespace because I just find it to be really intuitive.

Cons:

There's not much I don't like about it which is why I've used it for over 5 years.

Antonia
Online Media, 2–10 Employees

A Holliday

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Pros:

Very easy to use very knowledgeable and skillful

Cons:

Nothing it’s been a very convenient product to have

Katherine
CEO in Mexico
Executive Office, Self Employed

SQUARESPACE EASY TO USE

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Pros:

SQUARESPACE is super easy to use and is reasonably priced. SQUARESPACE is a very good website builder/designer for product based business owners who are starting or who don't know to use complicated softwares.

Cons:

I haven't seen it has course integration

Cassie
Communication in US
Farming, 11–50 Employees

No website design experience needed!

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Very pleased. Editing the website on the backend reflects exactly how the website looks from the front end.

Pros:

No website design experience needed to learn how to create and design webpages.

Cons:

I wish the refund process was more simple.

Architecture & Planning, 201–500 Employees

Good to go

4.0 4 weeks ago New

Pros:

Easy to use and modern designs, lots of possibilities

Cons:

Expensive and not possible to pay by invoice for customers

Jane
Jane
Owner and Big Kahuna in US
Publishing, 2–10 Employees

Great design, great features, great support

Comments: I was first introduced to Squarespace when I hired someone to design the website for my business, and he showed me how to make changes myself. From there I started to play with it and ended up creating simple websites for several clients, many of whom were then able to take over their own upkeep and maintenance. And in the three years I've been working with Squarespace sites, the features and support have only improved. I also love that they're very attuned to what's trending in graphic design, so their templates never look dated.

Pros:

The aesthetic. Squarespace's design templates are fresh, current, and appealing to begin with, which provides a lot of options for customization.

Cons:

It's not the most intuitive interface ever, but that said, they provide outstanding how-to articles and videos and infinitely patient customer support, so it's not hard to figure out how to do what you want to do, even if you have no coding experience.

Kim
Writing & Editing, 2–10 Employees

Top quality website and easy to create!

Comments: So far all my experiences are incredible! They get back to me right away whenever I have a question or issue. Fast to resolve.

Pros:

Top quality website! Very easy to create a professional looking website all by myself. The templates are wonderful and suitable for all different types of programs. Absolutely love it!

Cons:

The monthly subscription program is pricey but a less expensive option then what I've used before.

Alyssa
Founder & Creative Director in US
Design, 2–10 Employees

Squarespace is my favorite web design platform as a boutique web designer

Comments: I love Squarespace. I've been using it for over 3 years and have been able to quickly produce several websites with it. I'm a little disappointed by how much Squarespace is limited on design, but the tradeoff is worth it with how easy their platform integrates e-commerce, email marketing, scheduling, and inventory management all-in-one.

Pros:

Squarespace is clean, sophisticated, modern, easy to use, and has built-in features such as domain purchasing, email marketing, scheduling, and e-commerce that make it easy to run a business. With Squarespace, I can trust that my clients will be able to manage their website 100% by themselves once I finish designing it for them. With other platforms (like Wordpress), I cannot guarantee the same. I also like how transparent Squarespace's pricing and plans are. It's so easy to upgrade or downgrade as your needs change. In Squarespace, I can design a high-quality website extremely fast and share the draft with my clients easily.

Cons:

Squarespace is the least flexible of all the web design platforms that I work with in terms of design customization. There are a lot of different types of widgets and ways to display content that simply aren't available on Squarespace because the platform limits what you can change in the design (probably to prevent websites from turning out bad). I've also noticed that Squarespace websites typically load slower than some of the websites I've built on other platforms like Webflow and Duda.

Anne
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2–10 Employees

Easy and Elegant

Comments: I love SquareSpace. I would really need to be wowed to switch to another company. This has everything I want (not just need) to create a great first impression

Pros:

I love how simple it is to create the aesthetic I want to share with the public. The customer support team was so helpful whenever I met a snag in implementation. That hardly ever happened though, because it is so straightforward to create my own website with gorgeous content thanks to SquareSpace and their templates

Cons:

There have been a few times where links have broken on my website and it has been challenging to get them reinstated.

Jeremy
Jeremy
Audio Engineer in Canada
Media Production, 2–10 Employees

Easy to Use But Often Limited

Comments: I had to launch a website—with scheduling and services—in a day, and Squarespace did not disappoint. I was able to do this quickly and easily, with little reference to the user guide. When it came time to launch my own site, I carefully researched and compared Squarespace to other all-in-one solutions, and it came out on top. Most other solutions required more work to build, and it was easy to "break" their templates. It's a real challenge to make a Squarespace template look bad. That being said, there are times where you want to change the color of a header, for example, and you find this is simply not possible. You then have to go on a Google search and find the hidden CSS code for that style and paste it into the custom code window. And most of the time, it doesn't work. So I would like to see them make changes colours more intuitive and easier to do. Another thing to know: you will likely have to pay to get a feature you need, at some point. I needed to have a pop-up email subscription form, and I had to upgrade to "Business" for that. So make sure you scan the features before buying.

Pros:

The best thing about Squarespace is that you can launch a simple website in a few hours; grab a template, tweak to taste, and go. The competitors still tend to need direct coding to make them look good, but not with Squarespace. The templates are tasteful and generally easy to edit, plus there is a rich backend with tons of analytical tools and e-commerce features for when you're ready to sell. The website editor is truly WYSIWG (What You See Is What You Get) and adding sections is as easy as a click.

Cons:

Squarespace's templates look nice, but there are surprisingly few of them. I've built several sites with Squarespace, but I always grab the same podcasting template because everything else it way too specific: restaurant! Vlogger! Fashion! But precious little for general-purpose sites, with a minuscule selection for a company that's been at this for over 10 years. The WYSIWG editor can be extremely annoying as well, constantly digging into to floating menus just to make simple edits, and it's unclear where things reside sometimes. It's hard to escape the feeling that there has to be a better way. But it is still easy to use.

Kymberli
Founder in US
Hospitality, Self Employed

Best Website Builder EVER

Comments: overall, my experience with Squarespace has been amazing. I recommend them to everyone

Pros:

How easy it is to use. I first started out with wordpress, godaddy and shopify and that was beyond me. Someone recommended squarespace to me and I was able to rollout my ideas almost instantaneously. thank you!

Cons:

I sold my computer so I’d love if the mobile app had all of the same features available as the website but I understand it takes time.

Atharva
Founder in India
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

Squarespace: Best and fast website builder

Comments: If you are a beginner and want to build a website as quickly as possible without any prior knowledge, then you can go with Squarespace. But, if you are willing to invest some time to learn about website development, then nothing is better than WordPress.

Pros:

Squarespace is a good option for beginners who want to build a website without any prior web development knowledge. They provides lots templates to design the website, which are mobile-friendly. First you need to select one among 100+ templates and start buliding your website with it's easy website builder. You can easy sell products in Squarespace and track product orders from the dashboard. It also has a Financial dashboard to track earnings. And ff you have any concerns about using Squarespace, you can contact customer service at any time.

Cons:

Squarespace sites are not good in search engine optimization, making it difficult to rank them on the first page of Google. Limited software and service can be integrated with Squarespace. It is also quite tough to migrate from Squarespace to another website development platform.

Rashi
SMM in Canada
Broadcast Media, 2–10 Employees

Squarespace: elegant and user-friendly website builder:

Comments: Overall, Squarespace is a great option for anyone looking to create a professional-looking website without any coding experience. The elegant design and user-friendly interface make it easy to create a visually appealing website, and the comprehensive features make it suitable for a wide range of needs. While the higher price point may be a drawback for some users, the excellent customer support and comprehensive features may make it worth the investment for many.

Pros:

Elegant design: Squarespace offers a wide range of beautifully designed templates that make it easy to create a visually appealing website.User-friendly interface: Squarespace has a simple and intuitive interface that makes it easy for users to navigate and make changes to their website.Excellent customer support: Squarespace offers excellent customer support through email, chat, and phone, making it easy for users to get help when they need it.

Cons:

Higher price point: Squarespace is more expensive than some other website builders, which may not be feasible for all users but since we work with different e-commerce company they don't mind with what they pay.

Darren
YouTuber in Spain
Broadcast Media, 2–10 Employees

For simple website design and amangement look no further.

Comments: I think squarespace is great. For a non technical user what this provides me with is a very simple and quick way of developing and managing an attractive website with all the functionality needed.

Pros:

Squarespace makes designing and managing your website simple. Making edits, implementing redesigns are quick and easy to complete. This was the main reason we switched as we wanted anybody to be able to manage the website with no need for technical web skills.

Cons:

Sometimes the way things work are not intuitive, they remain easy, but initially the way to achieve something is not always obvious. Additionally Squarespace in my opinion is not designed for high end, high functionality websites so for some the service may be limited.

Dave
Dave
Founder and Arts Chaplain in Canada
Music, Self Employed

Squarespace remains my top choice, but just barely.

Comments: I used to build my own sites - first manually then through Wordpress. I used to have a lot of security issues. Multiple hacks and breaches. Lost sites and downtime. I haven't lost a wink of sleep over a website since I signed up for Squarespace. For me, that's worth the money I pay. The software is beautiful, slick and simple (once you understand it - it's a bit quirky). But the cost keeps rising while other, cheaper options keep getting better. I still love Squarespace, but it's increasingly tough to recommend based on price.

Pros:

Squarespace is easy to set up (a site can be completed in an hour or less if you have all the info you need ready to go). Once a site is live, it rarely has any issues, becomes visible on Google fairly quickly, and there are no security worries to deal with as everything is hosted on THEIR servers, not mine. The templates are the best in the business and it's difficult to make a Squarespace site look ugly. Not impossible of course, but tough :) Drag and drop interface is great and integrations abound.

Cons:

Squarespace has become increasingly expensive, moving more and more features to higher and higher tiers. Their e-commerce options are great for a simple store with few product options, but you cannot change the image of a product when a customer selects a variation of that product - like a different colour of shift, for example. This was a deal-breaker on a recent project and drove us toward Shopify. Wix sites used to look terrible. They can now look pretty good (again, mileage may vary with templates and design skills). Bandzoogle has more features for bands at a better price point. Weebly has great design options. All claim easy drag and drop interfaces. All offer cheaper options than Squarespace for a similar feature set. Squarespace domains are free for the first year only. Then, thye cost more than many other options. I found that one out the hard way.

Andrea
Andrea
Copywriter + Designer in Canada
Design, Self Employed

SquareSpace is a let-down. It's hard to use and is missing basic features. The marketing fooled me!

Comments: Overall, I hated using SquareSpace and I was so disappointed because I switched away from WordPress + Divi to give SquareSpace a whirl based on SquareSpace's amazing marketing. What a let down. I will never use SquareSpace again. My client wanted both of his sites designed in SquareSpace because he was also duped by the ads. I made one site and it took forever because I was constantly googling how to do something with code to get the site how we wanted it. If you use SquareSpace be prepared to be frustrated or to hire a developer. Basic functionality is missing and you can't copy anything you've done to use elsewhere. I wanted to duplicate the first site and modify it for the second. You can't do that. I had to make both sites from scratch. Support was absolutely terrible. Zero help compared to the awesome Divi support staff that has made my designing life so great for so many years (I'm not an affiliate, just a fan). Oh! And SquareSpace is expensive! You have to pay for each and every site. With WordPress, you pay for hosting somewhere, like Siteground, and you can add as many sites to that account as you like no charge. Squarespace has pretty templates that you can't modify pretty much at all, and it's expensive with terrible support. Do not choose SquareSpace as your CMS unless you are a developer. Awful.

Pros:

SquareSpace has beautiful templates. They are truly gorgeous. SquareSpace also has an easy-to-use sidebar of options that puts everything that you can do on the left side. The interface is as clean as the templates. Hosting of your site is done through Squarespace. That's it when it comes to pros. There are a ton of Cons to using SquareSpace.

Cons:

As a WordPress user (who has also designed with Wix), SquareSpace falls short almost everywhere. You can't import your brand font—essential. You have to use code or a back-door solution with AdobeFonts. If you want 5 items in a row, no can do. You get 4 or 6. You can't drag the amount of padding around items and sections. You must use spacer blocks (time consuming and such a bad way to do things). There's no media storage! If you upload your photo it isn't stored anywhere for easy selection later. You must upload the same image multiple times whenever you need it—frustrating. Changes can't be made on individual copy styles. Squarespace sets up its CMS as a global system so if you want to change the way your font looks in just one place, you need to insert code (markdown block). You should be able to select it and change the size or colour. But no. It's CRAZY! So time-consuming. Missing basic word-processing functionality. Squarespace has no plugin options. You can't duplicate a page of your site and you can't duplicate your site! Everything is done from scratch! In WordPress, you download a .JSON file and upload it somewhere else and you're flying. Not with SquareSpace. You can't make your overlays look different per section. Everything applies globally. You can't add borders to images. The biggest CON? There's no undo! No revision history. If you delete something accidentally, it's gone forever. Support is terrible. Every answer is "you can't do that" or "try to find code.

Laura
Photographer in US
Photography, Self Employed

Great website usage, and overall easeability for someone who doesn't know how to code

Comments: Overall, I will be a lifetime user of Squarespace. It has catapulted my wedding photography business into the next level, allowed me to optimize my site with unique keywords and SEO search terms that put it at the top of the Google search for wedding photographers in my area, and the analytics section of the site is really helpful to see where my traffic is coming from on my site and how I can drive more traffic to my site. Again, as someone who knows hardly anything about SEO, it has made me an SEO wizard and has revolutionized my wedding photography business!

Pros:

I love the fact that there are so many templates that you can choose from to make your website exactly the way that you want it to. I also love the fact that the templates are so easy to use, especially for someone like me who doesn't like or really know how to code!

Cons:

What I dislike is that there are certain templates that do not allow you to customize as easily, or at all, as some of the other templates. I found that I have to really search how to change things within each template and then decide from there if it is a template that I want to use. It was trial and error to discover that not all templates have fully customizable features and I wish that they all were fully customizable to make it even easier to use.

Kyla
Owner/Designer in US
Apparel & Fashion, Self Employed

Easily Create an Ever-Beautiful Website

Comments: I have been using Squarespace for my e-commerce business for a few years now and love it! Squarespace sites are easy to create and update, while always remaining beautiful. I have used other drag-and-drop website building software in the past and even though the layouts looked right when I was editing, once I viewed them live and on different devices, there were always problems. With Squarespace's platform, my site always looks exactly the way I expect it to.
I recently added the e-commerce component to my site and while it doesn't have a ton of features, like other sites, it works perfectly for what I need. Some templates are better suited for e-commerce, so if that's what you're looking for, make sure to look into which ones those are.
Squarespace websites are also automatically optimized for search engines! Last year I took an SEO course to improve traffic to my website and a bunch of the suggestions involved manually updating parts of my site every few months so that search engines would continue to find my site. When I inquired with Squarespace about how to go about this, they let me know that their platform already does this for my site automatically--yay! I also discovered a variety of other SEO features that are built into every Squarespace site, so you don't have to worry about updating or even knowing about much of it--it's all done for you!
While Squarespace doesn't offer customer service by phone, they are timely with responding to inquiries via email and their robust online knowledge base has answered many of my questions in just a few minutes. They also offer a chat feature Mon-Fri.
Finally, one of the reasons I decided to switch to Squarespace was for integrations, like MailChimp--they make it easy to connect with my customers and streamline collecting their information. They also just added an integration with PayPal for checkout, which I can already tell has made purchases easier for my customers.
Overall, I am extremely happy with Squarespace and look forward to discovering, even more, features!

Pros:

Ease of use Beautiful designs Great customer service Affordable useful integrations (PayPal, MailChimp, etc) built-in SEO constantly updating and adding more features

Cons:

e-commerce platform has minimal features No customer service phone support Some features are only available on a limited number of templates

Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

Nice software, but fragile and randomly freezes or glitches

Comments: Overall it’s a pretty good experience. Although there are glitches and times when it simply freezes for no apparent reason . This can be infuriating, especially after writing a lot of content, and it will not save or update the text (we pay for the gigablast fastest business internet our ISP sells). Sometimes it will save an old draft, not the current one, this makes me want to scream. Sometimes it will delete things I don’t want it to accidentally I’m not sure what the problem is, there needs to be a general undo button. Something that can protect you if the website is glitching or acting nuts..

Pros:

The stylish look of the fonts and web design. The styles look professional enough, the competitors looked too childlike or complicated to setup. I also like that you can do most of the editing from the app, not just the laptop.

Cons:

What concerns me about this software, is the lack of ownership over all the work put into the website. Software companies these days are becoming political and illogical at times. Although my team and company doesn’t deal with anything political like that, it’s in the back of our mind’s that eventually we will need to break off from Squarespace because they have too much power over our website and servers. All it takes is one new CEO who is ‘Woke’ or a Twitter tweet with no accountability or responsibility, to blow up and a company’s online presence can be severely compromised. Like I said what we do is not even controversial, but We have seen from other marketing firms, weird issues like that concerning square space and competitors. So as time goes on and we become more profitable, the goal is to eventually break away from Square space over lack of control over our own website and servers.

Virginia
Communications Manager in US
Information Technology & Services, 51–200 Employees

The argument for Squarespace over Wordpress: for simplicity and beginners

Pros:

There are many, many website creation platforms… and making the wrong decision is a disaster no one should have encounter. Because Squarespace and Wordpress are so prominently recognized, this review is intended for those trying to decide between the two. Overall, I would recommend Squarespace for organizations, entrepreneurs, small size businesses, startup company, or anyone who wants to take a more simplistic approach to building their website. Wordpress would be better utilized for websites with a lot of content, images, or heavily customizable needs and/or larger businesses. Pros Squarespace website generation platform is a heavily controlled and monitored environment, run only by the company itself. All the testing is done within their own environment to ensure all plugins, tools, etc. are running correctly at all times. Squarespace is a great fit for beginners who would prefer to have the web creation platform make the decisions for you or those who want something simple and navigationally instinctual. Navigating my way around Squarespace took me a simple day to learn its ins and outs; it took me nearly a year to learn all the unique, in-depth features of Wordpress. Because Squarespace is not an open source platform, its customer support team is available 24-hours a day, to help resolve issues and provide advice (via live chat). It’s their responsibility to fix any plugins, or issues that arise outside of your control. In contrast Wordpress is an open source platform, meaning the responsibility for fixing any issues that arise would fall on you; you will most likely need to hire outside help if you are a beginner and/or have little tech/coding experience. Although Wordpress is more customizable (developers/programmers can create their own plugins, themes, and tools and apply it to your site for a specific look) you take the risk of running into potential compatibility issues; open source does not always guarantee 100% reliability.

Cons:

Because Squarespace is a more simplistic approach to web creation, you don’t have the option to fully customize the theme or jazz it up the way you may want. If you are really looking to create a website that is fully automated and stands out from the general information website I would suggest WordPress. I have not found Squarespace’s community help center to be as helpful in providing answers or pointing me in the right direction, however you always have support available to you; Wordpress has a larger collection of help forums on the web that can help you figure out fix issues, compatibility, coding adjustments, etc.