Squarespace Reviews

by Squarespace

• Overall

About Squarespace

Squarespace is the all-in-one platform to build a beautiful website, online store, or portfolio.

Learn more about Squarespace

Showing 2,098 reviews

Philip S.
Photographer
  • Reviewed on 1/5/2021

"Great Website Builder and Templates for Businesses and Artists"

Comments: Overall, the Squarespace website builder has served my business well. I’m able to have professional-looking websites that deliver the message I want to get across, all in great-looking design. Coupled with the integrated online scheduler where my clients can book their appointments and the integrated marketing tools, it serves my business needs daily.

Pros: I have 3 Squarespace websites for my photography and multimedia businesses and 1 Squarespace website for my personal work/artist portfolio. I’ve been a Squarespace user for a long time, and since then things have only improved with the choice of templates and the design possibilities. A significant advantage is that you don’t need to be tied to a template design and customize the design and add custom CSS if you want more complex customization. There are many third-party plugins available for Squarespace if you don’t have the knowledge to do it yourself, and that can make the already great starter templates even better. For businesses, Squarespace has built-in SEO and other marketing tools like newsletters, a built-in scheduling calendar for clients to book appointments if you’re a service-oriented business, and of course, there’s also the possibility for e-commerce with great web store designs and templates.

Cons: Squarespace is still heavily focused on English-speaking and North-American customers/businesses when it comes to selling products. For example, for companies that are not based in the US, there’s still no built-in possibility to accept local payment gateways if you want to sell products or services. Many customers in EU regions prefer to pay online using their local bank payment gateways rather than credit cards. Compared to some other website builders. The ability to sell products or services using your local payment gateway is still missing in Squarespace as something that's built and that you can activate with the click of a button.

• Reviewed on 1/5/2021
Mark N.
Executive Director
Nonprofit Organisation Management, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 31/3/2021

"Allowing my nonprofit's website to stay adaptive and relevant amidst an ever-changing web."

Comments: Squarespace won me over after years of thinking I could do a better job "designing it" on my own with free templates for WordPress. Time and time again I would spend days or weeks on the site, be happy with it, and then months later it would all be out of date, look old, and not function in the ways that information transfer had shifted by internet users. I decided that a professional, clean and easy to use Squarespace site, with robust back-end capabilities is what I needed, and I have not been disappointed.

Pros: Squarespace really has their act together in offering a clean, easy to use , beautiful web building platform. I run a media and video production nonprofit, and the needs and functionality of my site have evolved almost yearly since 2013. The way that people engage with content on the internet is always changing, and I got caught up in the flow of trying to always evolve the website to keep up. I used GoDaddy and WordPress for too many years, and eventually migrated them all to Squarespace because it was all just so much more streamlined, modern, clean and simple. I now have the basic website I need, and know that there are many many ways to customize it if needed without messing up the whole site (as happened many times on WordPress) I changed my entire .com and .org from a WordPress template on GoDaddy, and could not be happier with the customer service I received from Squarespace, they were so helpful in getting everything aligned for the transition.

Cons: I wish there were maybe 15-20 more templates, and that a few of them were specifically meant for video galleries, as that is what my organization focuses on in our storytelling, videos. I would love a template tailor made for aggregating videos. For now I can use a photo gallery or blog and adapt it, which works fine, but my wish list would be a video focused and designed template.

• Reviewed on 31/3/2021
Osman P.
Business Consultant
Financial Services, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 23/3/2021

"Absolutely fine!"

Comments: I've used this software before and it really helped me with my website in the past. It has some good features and not difficult to use. You pretty much get what you pay for. Also, know that if you are aiming for really professional websites I wouldn't suggest you use Squarespace. But if you just want to set up a decent site in a short amount of time, I would definitely suggest you this software.

Pros: First of all, it is extremely easy to set up websites in no time. It has some cool and modern-looking templates that you might want to consider. It is user-friendly and not much knowledge of coding is required which makes it a good choice for many companies and people. Even though I didn't struggle much with anything whilst using this software, support was always there to help.

Cons: The way that the client can't change a lot, implies that expert clients are restricted and don't have much freedom. Other than the lack of freedom when choosing templates and editing fonts or just the way the website looks, I don't see any other downsides to this software.

• Reviewed on 23/3/2021
IT Specialist
Internet, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 20/2/2021

"When minimalism was a luxury"

Comments: I trully believe SS is being hold hostage by its once glorious minimalist phyloshophy and streamlined way of doing things. Their templates all look the same now.

Pros: Squarespace helped us develop good looking and fuctional website in no time, with outstanding streamlined interface and ease of use with minimalism in mind. + Premium fonts.

Cons: In my personal opinion, I think SS is lost with its minimalist phyloshopy and streamlined way of doing things. It was good a couple of years back when it was the only kid in town but websites have developed so much that the need for robust features and fuctionality is more a necessity than a commodity now. They just released their extension feature but it consist of no more than a few addons.

• Reviewed on 20/2/2021
Whitney D.
Director of Advancement
Education Management, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 16/12/2020

"Easy to Use, High Quality In-House Website Design"

Comments: We researched and previewed a number of website development platforms before selecting Squarespace, and we've been very happy with our choice. It is very user-friendly and easy to learn how to customize and brand our pages. It is a great, cost-effective option that we recommend to other schools looking for a tool to manage their website in-house.

Pros: Squarespace is a very user-friendly and cost-effective product that allows us to create, maintain and adapt our school website in-house. Clean, professional templates are easily customizable and provide us the functionality we need to maintain an active web presence. The phone app also provides a good amount of flexibility to make quick edits and adjustments to our site on the go. The ability to create forms that can be directly linked into Google Drives has been one notable positive for us. It gives us the option to quickly customize and create forms that can then be shared and track responses for us. The website analytics function is very helpful in providing us with real-time insights and date on web traffic and usage.

Cons: There are some natural limitations to the ability to customize pages that will come with any basic website development platform. For example, in order to upload video, it must already be hosted on another platform (YouTube, Vimeo, etc.).

• Reviewed on 16/12/2020
Bridget C.
Sales
Construction, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 1/12/2020

"You get what you pay for"

Comments: After trying multiple free website building options, I finally relented and tried out the demo version on Squarespace to see what the learning curve would be like, and if it would be worthwhile ot go the paid route for a website. The answer was a resounding yes, and I've subsequently built 3 more sites with them since our first one. I tell every new business owner starting out, check out squarespace, save yourself the headace of the free platforms that limit creativity, and watch your business grow by the day.

Pros: Ease of use
Easing learning curve
layout options
customizations options
sleek templates
quick onboarding

Cons: Towards the beginning of my experience with Squarespace, I needed some customer sesrvice and the process to find where I could go for help was not easy. This was back in 2017 however, so I'm not sure if that process has improved since then (I'd like to think so!)

• Reviewed on 1/12/2020
Mimi M.
Integrated Producer
  • Reviewed on 14/4/2020

"Allows anyone to be a professional, easily"

Comments: Overall, I am pleased with Squarespace. I think it is the most professional website builder out there. However, its price point and its inconsistencies hinder it from getting a 10/10 on my end.

Pros: I like how easy to customize and use Squarespace is and always has been. Especially with their latest version release, site building has become more customizable than ever. Their templates also serve as awesome inspiration. Customer service is also quick, friendly, and efficient.

Cons: There are some inconsistencies across templates and versions. Things like adding a caption to galleries or password protecting a portfolio page - which you'd think would be options, based on previous templates or other modules/page types, are not available across the board. This is frustrating when you're building a site with a specific vision in mind, but you can't achieve those results. CX associates have also told me that there are 'bugs' that are being sent to tech teams, however they can't provide updates on ETA's for fixes. It has been a month since I was told that, still no fix. It's not a good look to have such a tech-forward company fail on promises or updates to users on bugs, or elements that are prohibiting from utilizing the platform in the ways expected. Squarespace is also quite pricey compared to its competitors.

• Reviewed on 14/4/2020
Entrepreneur
Education Management, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 15/1/2020

"A beautiful website, tailored to you"

Comments: I have a beautiful, functional website to direct clients to. It has a blog, a shop where they can purchase items and much more. The site allows me to capture visitor information, make sales and create first interactions with me and my services. It allows me to have a "home base" from which I launch all of my projects and ideas. I have had Squarespace for several years now and never plan to change--it's really that good! I have experimented with other providers but never found anything so well crafted and easy to use.

Pros: Squarespace allows you to select a plan that fits your needs. You can choose plans with unlimited pages, commerce options and much more. I love that it's made to be user friendly and there is no coding required (you can code as an advanced option but it's really not at all needed since they offer you everything). You can add all kinds of features to webpages, like forms, surveys, images and much more just by adding elements they call "blocks". This makes it very easy to customize the website to look, feel and operate just like you would like. If you previously couldn't realize your website dreams due to a lack of technical know-how, you can use Squarespace to design like a pro.

Cons: Sometimes it can be slightly unintuitive as to where to find something, so it takes me a few extra minutes to find out where I can tweak a specific setting. Customer support is excellent and fast to respond but only by email or chat, not by phone. You do have to upgrade to a higher plan for some features, like abandoned cart recovery at checkout, for example; however, for the value they offer, I think all the upgrades are worth the cost.

• Reviewed on 15/1/2020
Director of Human Resources
  • Reviewed on 19/10/2018

"Best option for Small Businesses that aren't IT savvy"

Comments: If you are a small business or a startup trying to get a professional web presence, or an existing company with a horrible website, don't believe the limitations of a decade ago and "pro" web developers and companies that create websites for you for a large sum of money with continuing maintenance costs. Website development sites like Squarespace allow for any moderately computer literate individual to create amazing looking professional websites and professional emails with little hassle. You don't need an IT department or a website developer, and honestly, your site will look better than many I've had created by corporate webdevs. The trick is that sites like Squarespace use templates that you choose and customize with your own content. The con is, while there are tons of options in templates, what you see is what you get and you can really only customize content and minor aesthetics like font, pages, color schemes, pictures, etc. However, the templates are gorgeous and modern designed sites that will make your website look cutting edge.
I've used several competitors, and while Wix is probably my next favorite due to customization, Squarespace is leagues better than any other site developer I've used, including Weebly, Wordpress, GoDaddy, Wix, etc. It is just so simple and the templates, while probably the least customization, are the prettiest ones available that add a professional touch you can't replicate in something like Wix. No IT, no problem.

Pros: Ease of use is unparalleled.
Templates are aesthetically unmatched by competitors- it's not even close.
The ability to switch between templates whenever you want is amazing.
Very professional feel to website with seamless G Suite integration.
Cost is very competitive.
Mobile optimized websites are lightyears beyond GoDaddy and Wix.

Cons: The templates are amazing, and there are a lot of choices, but if you don't like the options, you are stuck with what they have. Customizing is very limited within the Template framework, unlike Wix.
In order to be glitch-free and mobile optimized, the templates have very little customization.

• Reviewed on 19/10/2018
Konisha H.
OWNER
Cosmetics, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 7/1/2021

"Squarespace Review"

Comments: Overall I love Squarespace. My site runs smoothly I have not had any complaints from customers of card sales not going through of the site not working properly. I do use this app on a daily bases updating inventory, changing images and checking analytics for my social post to see the increase of traffic.

Pros: What I like most about Squarespace software is that it is very user friendly. It has up to date functions and accessibility for you to use other apps in combination with this app. I also like that there is a scheduling feature to take appointments. As a Cosmetologist this was very important to me as a buyer.

Cons: A feature that I like the least would be the shipping page on the features within the website. I feel that it could be more simplified or more automated to link with shipping rates based on the weight and measurements of the product. I figured it out eventually but honestly that part of setting up my site was a headache.

• Reviewed on 7/1/2021
Gabe M.
IT Administrator
Information Technology & Services, 5,001-10,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 20/2/2018

"An high quality web solution for non-technical people who need create and manage a website"

Comments: This product helped me launch my web storefront quickly and easily. It was truly a pleasure using this solution for my personal business.

Pros: - Beautiful templates. Initially they offered relatively few templates compared to other website providers, however, all of their templates were very polished. Since their early days, they have plenty of templates to get you go quickly for almost any look you are going for.
- The page editor is very easy to start using and experiment and becoming productive.
- Product management: Product management is great in how you can manage dimensions, price, inventory, etc. When you make sales, it decreases the inventory accordingly (quite a nice little feature). The dimensions you input for your products works hand-in-hand with shipping options you offer with your storefront. HUGE benefit here for making sure the products you offer and are puchased will fit in the right boxes your customers purchased. I cannot emphasize how awesome this is.
-Sales reports and analysis tools: This is so nice to track your monthly/annual sales and correlate them to your promotional and marketing efforts.

Cons: - Pricing: More expensive than competitors, but you are paying for refinement and amenities. For non-technical people, refinement and features may be worth it. For Technical folks who can develop their own website, pricing may deter them from using SquareSpace.
- Template customization confusion: From a non-technical perspective, it may be very confusing why one template reacts differently to similar changes to layout/content creation. This could cause some frustration for those users.

• Reviewed on 20/2/2018
Bryan C.
  • Reviewed on 7/10/2020

"Every Website We Build Starts with Squarespace"

Comments: Years ago, when I started my marketing agency, I would pander to my clients. This one wanted WordPress - another wanted Joomla. The technology was too much to handle, and the site quality decreased as a result. After years of working with WordPress, we decided to only build on Squarespace. It's been a great choice that has helped us grow our portfolio immensely.

Pros: Squarespace has made it super simple to create a new website. Every single website we build now is on the Squarespace platform - and that's for a reason! The software is user-friendly, the buildouts are quick and painless, and the customers are always happy with the finished product.

Cons: Styling and formatting could be easier on the Squarespace builder. I hate posting up images on pages and blog posts. There's no easy way to resize the images and ensure they look good. I also hate the blog formatting. I want my blog to be aesthetically pleasing - instead, it looks like a robot just spit it out.

• Reviewed on 7/10/2020
Caley N.
Owner/Photographer
  • Reviewed on 10/6/2019

"Best Business Decision I've Made"

Pros: My husband is a web designer. I have the ability to have a custom website made for me, but I also hated to ask him to fix things, and I hated going through all the code myself to update the site. I switched to Squarespace over five years ago, and it was the best decision I could have made for my business (and a great one for my marriage, too 😂). If you don't need a huge, elaborate website, but still want something clean, beautiful, and easy to maintain, I can't recommend Squarespace enough.

Cons: Every now and then, I run into limitations in a template that I wish I could change. Why certain blog styles aren't available in every template baffles me sometimes. I'll find a template I love but hate that it can't have a sidebar somewhere or that there's a blog overview rather than going straight to the blog itself.

• Reviewed on 10/6/2019
Jeremy V.
Financial Services, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 6/12/2019

"Great for Start-Ups!"

Comments: I started a side-business with a partner and this was the best website service for our needs. The cost was great for what we needed and provided us with a customer-friendly website.

Pros: The ability to customize and make an attractive website is very easy for those who have basic knowledge of websites. There is also quite a bit of information online available to help you to customize and get the basic website you are looking for. You do not need to know html to really customize your site.

Cons: If you do not know anything about websites then this software will not necessarily help you, you need someone who is willing to take the time to learn the ins and outs of the software.

• Reviewed on 6/12/2019
Carlee M.
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/10/2019

"Stop Website Shame!"

Comments: Wonderful!

Pros: It's easy to use, beautifully designed and has all the features that sets you up to create a beautiful and professional website. I get compliments on my website almost daily - thanks Squarespace!

Cons: I'd like to integrate other payment processing services with my site.

• Reviewed on 14/10/2019
Jared L.
Photographer (full-time)
Retail
  • Reviewed on 4/7/2018

"Out of all the website hosts I have found Squarespace to have the best templates and interface."

Comments: A clean professional looking website with easy to modify templates. I've also never had my site go offline or become 'slow-loading' when trying to view. Server issues are virtually non-existent and that's important with a business website.

Pros: The templates are number 1 for what I like most about Squarespace. They are professionally designed in a way that is highly customizable and very clean looking. You can have a great looking website quickly and with customization you can make it look original. I started using Squarespace over 4 years ago and still haven't come across a better website builder and host. The interface for adding content is a more accurate WYSIWYG(what you see if what you get) management system. Anybody can signup with Squarespace and adjust a template of their choice quickly and aesthetically with the admin interface. There is also advanced options for adding in your own code when needed. I've tried many hosts in the pasts and usually website builders are riddled with issues in spacing, formatting and errors - squarespace just doesn't have this...and for that reason it's a pleasure to use.

Cons: Price. Unfortunately Squarespace has gone up in price over the years for monthly and annual plans. If the cost is within your budget then it's highly recommended.

• Reviewed on 4/7/2018
Laura N.
Member Services Coordinator
Renewables & Environment, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 22/4/2019

"Incredibly easy website management"

Comments: I help manage several Squarespace websites, and have found it very intuitive and quick to set up and edit pages. It's easy to manage your plan and I haven't found their campaigning to be annoying at all while a plan is active or after it's been disabled. Overall, I've been really happy with the experience of using Squarespace and have recommended it anytime someone is looking to set up a new site.

Pros: There's a reason that these guys are probably the most well-known website solution product out there. The user interface is super slick, and so easy to use. The price is right for what you can do once you get your feet under you. I've worked with a handful of different websites in Squarespace now, and it makes it easier to recommend it each time I set up or collaborate on a site. The knowledge base content is pretty comprehensive and I've never had an issue finding an answer to a question. There's a (fairly new, I think) mobile app that is handy to have access to while on the go. Pages that are deleted can be recovered, making it easier to trust handing the keys over to someone to get familiar with it. There's options to sell products directly from your site, which means one less thing to set up elsewhere.

Cons: The templates are pretty limiting. You can try them out, but honestly, with the options that are there, there really seems to be just 3 or 4 general layouts with minor differences template-to-template. There are some annoying little things like not being able to move a gallery of images from one page to another unless it's been saved as a gallery, but they're all minor things that can be avoided as you become more familiar with the platform.

• Reviewed on 22/4/2019
Andrew H.
Photographer/Director
Photography, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 16/12/2019

"Easy-build websites"

Comments: Quick and easy to build interface; efficient and helpful customer service; sensible pricing and good discount for certain user types.

Pros: The ease of use to create extremely professional interface websites, they look and feel great and can be pulled together in a matter of hours.

Cons: There's a few things that require upgrade to packages, commerce and selling options are understandable, but the option to add custom code should be on all paid packages.

• Reviewed on 16/12/2019
Interior Designer and Owner
Design, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 20/7/2019

"The website that professionals use"

Comments: Really good, the customer service is excellent. Once you get around building your site, I love it.

Pros: I was recommended this website by someone in my industry. It was time to upgrade and work with company that had a better SEO so I could be found and get more people to my site. I love it because it professional, its recognized and it is highly trusted. The integration to mobile is perfection. It looks amazing!

Cons: I came from another website that had a easier set up, but I couldn't be found. The set up for my site was a bit challenging, but once I looked at the videos on set up it was much easier. The cost was a lot more as well, but worth it to have a professional site.

• Reviewed on 20/7/2019
Brandon M.
Creative Strategist
  • Reviewed on 4/12/2018

"Still Prefer SquareSpace over WordPress"

Comments: They are my go-to builder for new clients that want the ability to make edits and changes on their own in the future without causing confusion. Less headache than WP and WIX which are other builders I am familiar with.

Pros: Updates on it's own, unlike WordPress which updates could break 3rd party applications or templates, and happens all the time. Great for first time users to figure out what they are doing fairly simply. Has great tutorials, help, chat, twitter support, and customer service is much better than WordPress' non existent support.

Cons: They change their pricing constantly without any advanced notice ever. In the past 6 years I've built client sites on this platform, they just keep upping the price for everyone. They offer ZERO affiliate solutions, just a discounted first year off for multiple builds and circle members. They have a JavaScript rendering that makes all sites slower than they should be and have not addressed this not playing to well with Page Load Speed or Google Analytics. They don't particularily care either. Their customer support can get behind quite often, resulting in a solution that comes long after you needed it.

Rebecca S.
Health, Wellness & Fitness, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 11/2/2020

"Professional looking and Easy to Maintain websites"

Comments: I easily maintain 3 business sites with this platform.
No security issues!

Pros: Ease of use.
Don't have to worry about hacking on the back end.
professional looking modern templates

Cons: some limits on design but you can google help for injecting code.
Cost.
A little bit of a learning curve on designing.

• Reviewed on 11/2/2020
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 25/2/2021

"It's... okay"

Comments: I like it. It's easy to just setup and go. But there isn't enough customization opportunity without good code knowledge. And while there are great tutorials and videos to guide you along, I am a visual designer so it felt slow and clunky.

Pros: If you just want to load up and pick a template and replace the words and photos with your own content and be live within an hour or two it's great.

Cons: It's highly customizable, and you can use code to write in your own css to do things that you want. But, if you do not have good code understanding it can be a bit much. And every template is pretty much exactly the same, so your finished product looks fantastic, but it's very dull overall.

• Reviewed on 25/2/2021
Studio Designer
Graphic Design, 5,001-10,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 8/3/2020

"Easy to use at basic level"

Comments: Outside of the support issue squarespace has been great for me and for client projects. It’s a smartly designed CMS that has a not so steep learning curve.

Pros: I like how easy it is to get started and not having to tinker too much to make something that looks good.

Cons: When you try to go deeper as a power user there are issues that squarespace themselves are not able to answer. I saw this bug in the most recent software update and still don’t have an answer from support.

• Reviewed on 8/3/2020
Tyler B.
Communications Officer
Nonprofit Organisation Management, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 5/12/2018

"A very capable site builder"

Pros: Squarespace makes it easy for just about anyone to make a functional, aesthetically pleasing website. They offer a good variety of competent templates to choose from, spanning everything from online stores to photography portfolios. The editor is easy to use, and well laid out, making it a breeze to add and edit site elements, as well as site-wide design pieces. I've used Squarespace to create a number of sites over the years, and the quality to time invested ratio is always astounding - its easy to create something great.

Cons: Where Squarespace is so easy to use, it does come with drawbacks. Unless you know custom coding, you'll likely find yourself and your ideas somewhat limited by what you're actually able to do in any given template. This is the trade off you accept with Squarespace - greater ease of use for less customization. Other editors, such as Wix, offer a bit more freedom (but with that, they require a great technical skill to manipulate). But, if you're happy with somewhat standard features, there is a lot to love about Squarespace. One other thing is that even though there are a number of templates, Squarespace templates (and many pre-fab site builders these days) have a "look." So don't go in expecting to completely break the mold

• Reviewed on 5/12/2018
Art Director
Design, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 4/12/2018

"Be there or be square (JK)"

Comments: Amazing. Really. I've made countless sites and was always super happy with the result and customer support along the way. The only platform I created that I wasn't entirely happy with was an e-com site, not only does it cost 3x but it doesn't offer a-lot of the robust options that site like Shopify and Magento do. Granted it's cheaper, but I can't see a serious e-comm store using the platform in it's current state. Overall if you're building a portfolio site, or a site for your restaurant, SS is better then WIX and any other web builder I used. But if you're looking to build something more complicated I would look elsewhere.

Pros: How flexible the templates are, once you figure out how to use spacers, blocks and all the good stuff you can really customize the templates to pretty much look like anything, and if you HTML savvy, well the then, the world is your oyster.

Cons: SquareSpace recently updated their terms so that HTML code injection are only available for business users, which doesn't make much sense to me since the people who tend to use square space the most are designers, photographers, etc. for their portfolios. I can understand why an e-commerce plan would cost more, after all you're using their platform to generate income, but why would a young designer that's just trying to get hired by showcasing his portfolio and skills should be charged more for using code is beyond me.