15 years helping Irish businesses

About Revel Systems

Revel Systems powers the ambitions of restaurants with a robust cloud-based POS and business management platform.

Learn more about Revel Systems

Pros:

Easy to use POS system, I see it in many retail stores.

Revel Systems ratings

3.7
3.4
3.6
3.4

6.7/10

Revel Systems has an overall rating of 3.7 out 5 stars based on 327 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Revel Systems before?

Bailey
Bailey
Heritage Interpreter in US
Museums & Institutions, 2–10 Employees

Great

Pros:

It's easy to learn and accessible. Having it on an Ipad means that it's large enough to know what button is being pressed, and to move things around if need be. Having categories set up is great so we can keep track of how much change we need or how many people came in to visit the museum, that day.

Cons:

It can get a little complicated especially with adding discounts to certain purchases which can be difficult for our older volunteers to get a hold of. But is really it, on the basic side of things, it works well and does the job efficiently.

6 years ago

Bailey, Thanks so much for the feedback. We're delighted that Barker Mansion is making good use of its Revel POS! If some of your volunteers are having a hard time adding discounts, you can have them visit the below Revel University page for video guides detailing how to complete a variety of discount-related actions within your Revel POS: https://revelsystems.com/revel-university/categories/discounts-combos/ I hope this helps! Please reach out to us if you have any questions. - Holden at Revel

Chaz
Business Analyst in US
Retail, 10,000+ Employees

System Admin for Beauty Company with 4+ years of Revel experience

Comments: My role with Estee Lauder is Retail Business analyst for Le Labo brand. Because they use Revel which is unique to any other Estee Lauder brand, my responsibility is also system admin of the Revel software. From my usage perspective, I enjoy that it is self contained and there's not much we cant make it do to support our business needs. Over half of the problems we face actually are not with Revel at all, but the way have we extract data from Revel's server to publish to our master system (SAP) and supporting that integration. This was architected and is maintained by our organization.

Pros:

Revel is very valuable to Le Labo brand because as beauty brand that creates hand blended perfume, we need to track all of the inventory at an ingredient level. From a Retail POS and inventory management perspective, Revel is a shining star. Deployment is easy, just download the app, provision, and as long as you have an internet connection, you're on your way.

Cons:

CRM and eCommerce integration have been challenges for us, but not at the fault of Revel really. Being the large enterprise we are, the other areas of our business are cemented in the platforms that they use already, and thus there is no out of the box integration available for features beyond the core POS/Inventory that we rely on. The path forward would be for our organization to create new custom integrations to match our own internal business requirements. As far as a Revel review, the features that we do use and the support that we receive has been top notch.

Tim
Owner in Canada

Just Keeps Getting Worse

2.0 last month New

Pros:

Onboarding was good enough, friendly staff. Support too. Training staff on the POS is easy

Cons:

It feels like every SaaS company gets to nickel and diming their clients at some point, and I guess Revel is at that point. $12/month/store to look up sales data beyond a year back. This is extremely problematic for accounting purposes. We're already paying $6,000 annually for the service and various add-ons... come on. But, we're locked in now - what's another $144/year? Pfft. They recommended a gift card solution that, $500 later, didn't even work. We got an apology from the agent who recommended it, so they admitted fault, but considered it fixed with a $25 credit on our account. Quickbooks integration is garbage. Networking for the POS systems is a mess. Reports are fine, not great.

Christian
President/CEO in US

Skeptical at first...

Comments: After months of wrangling with the decision of which system to invest in I cautiously went forward with Revel. 2 terminal system only so if it didn't work out the damages would be minimal. I learned the hard way jumping in with two feet real quick with Clover. (Different business than the one I bought Revel for. The CC processor is really to blame for saying that Clover is a good system for full service restaurants and I'm to blame for not verifying.) That was a disaster. Paying monthly for a pile of stuff I never went live with. Back to Revel. So many negative reviews made me really worried but after so much research, a: it seemed like it was very robust, more than any other cloud based system, something that would be difficult to quickly outgrow, b: relatively cheap entry cost, albeit the most expensive ongoing costs (more on that later), and c: every system turns out to have overwhelming negative reviews by my count.
After reading all the reviews 2 things stuck out to me. One, I was real concerned about the support teams. It was such a common theme amongst so many review sites. Two, I sensed a bit of naivete on many of the negative reviews. After reading between the lines I figured this was a very complex system and one would have to put forth a lot of effort to get it set up and working well for your business. It does not plug and play. It could be but you would be barely scratching the surface of what it is capable of. The lack of support made it seem like someone with little experience with computers and or POS systems should stay far away. We have been live for over a month and I felt compelled to get on here and tell about my experience. Completely exceeded my expectations. To be clear, it has been a challenge getting it all where it is now. We went live 16 days after it arrived in the mail. That's not enough time. My own fault for dragging my feet. Give yourself 30 days. That would be a nice luxury. Plan on adapting it to your business. This system is designed for such a broad spectrum of businesses so don't expect it to be perfect just for you. That will take time. We have so much more tweaking and customizing ahead. Recipe builds, ingredient unit and cost data etc. You will only get out what you put in. The support that comes with the system combined with the fact that you get lifetime updates as the system is improved and having features added makes the monthly cost worth it to me. Thanks to an agent of NY for giving me all the information I needed without any of the typical sales pressures. I will be adding the self serve kiosk sometime this month. Can't wait to bring that exciting feature to our customers.

Pros:

Basic programming is relatively easy, uploading large amounts of items via excel spreadsheet was great. The support has been awesome! We have made a few mistakes on our end and they have gotten us back on track, plus quickly been able to guide us through some more complex feature programming. No issues have gone unresolved and none have gone into the 2nd day. No issues have been in any way critical or serious either.

Cons:

Even though our system is 100% hardwired it still requires an access point that is wireless. I don't like the potential issues with wireless. A few days ago one of the terminals was having a spotty connection issue.

Chip
Owner/Chef
Restaurants, 2–10 Employees

Just what I needed (and didn't even know that I needed!)

Comments: We have now been live with our new Revel POS for a week. Naturally, there were a few issues during the switch over, but most of those were a) problems with my setup and b) easily corrected with help from the on-boarding team, tech support folks and very comprehensive online documentation. As of this writing, I believe we are finally “there.” I am really liking Revel’s product. To be honest, I had no idea how much I was missing out on these past 4 years. I had just assumed that a mature and viable POS product did not exist in the iPad/Cloud arena. I assumed, incorrectly it would seem, that to get such a product I would have to one day shell out thousands or tens of thouands of dollars for one of the “big guys” with expensive hardware. I’m glad to have been proven incorrect in that assumption. In my mind, one of the absolute best features of Revel is that it is so highly configurable. I have been able to create a POS that meets my business needs as well as the needs of my employees and guests. So far I have not had to “settle” for a configuration that works for “most” people. Instead I have found that I can tell Revel how I want it to work for me and it just works that way. I've never understood why most cloud-based POS companies think that they know more about running our businesses than those of us who are in the trenches. I have been delighted to realize that Revel is willing to put in the effort to create a POS that works they way we work. There is no one-size-fits-all, especially in restaurants. Revel's designers and engineers seem to understand that fact. Little things like the following mean the world to me: 1) I can specify negative modifiers — ones that deduct from the price. Now my guests can truly have it their way and only pay for what they want. While I've always run my cafe that way, only Revel has allowed me to do that without a lot of unnecessary steps.
2) I can set up default modifiers, and more importantly when a guest doesn’t want that default it is easy to specify at the POS and it is obvious for the kitchen.
3) The flexibility of defining “one size fits all” modifier groups, and tailoring those to the needs of each product that uses them, has made my life so much easier. The modifier features are amazing, and I've just begun to scratch the surface of what is available.
4) And don’t even get me started on recipes. How I ever lived without those in my POS is a mystery. I guess I lived without them because I never knew I needed them!
In the past two days, my employees and I have been able to identify menu items whose gross margins are dragging us down. Since all of our products come with so many options, this has always been a hard, time-consuming thing to do, involving lots of spreadsheets and number crunching. Now that I have nearly all of my recipes defined, I’m able to run one Product Mix report whenever I want and identify problems before they become catastrophes. That alone makes the “extra” expense of the monthly Revel hosting fee worth it. Even in a small shop, such as mine, inventory control is a nightmare. It has become very obvious to me that after a month or two this task will get much easier. Once I have finished tweaking my product and recipe definitions, I’m looking forward to “knowing” my inventory status with just the touch of a button. I know it won’t be completely accurate — no theoretical inventory system can possibly account for human error. But, I already can tell that it will be much more accurate than I’ve ever had before, and it will be more accurate without the drudgery of weekly physical inventories. I would be remiss if I did not give a shout-out to your on-boarding and tech support people. They all proved to be very helpful, and very willing to let me go at my pace in this process. I am a tech geek from the days of Univac and IBM mainframes, punch cards and programming languages that are long dead and buried. Though I am now a chef I have never lost my love of all things tech. It was a pleasure to work with people who let me control the process as I was learning Revel. Their on-boarding team is willing to do as much, or as little, as their new clients need to get them up and running quickly. If I had to sum up my early experiences with Revel and the switch over, that sentence would be ---- I now feel like I am more in control of my business, that I understand my business better. As we enter our fifth year, a year that looks to be like it will be on schedule to be our first true profit year, that is huge. I'm looking forward to learning how Revel can help make that first profit year even more profitable. Sure, there is always room for improvement. Revel, like most mPOS companies, needs to get their integrated EMV/contactless functionality up and running, not just for one or two payment processing companies, but for all of them. Having said that, I realize how expensive and how difficult that task is. But, if they get it done quickly and correctly, they will be a hard company to beat. A few other reviewers mentioned one suggestion I will echo -- be prepared to spend some time learning what you have with Revel, and what it can do for you. Myself, I spent hours looking at every setting, reading the help bubbles for every setting, and making notes about what I did and did not want to implement. I asked a lot of questions. I watched a lot of videos. When I wasn't sure, I created tests, ran them and looked at the results. Most importantly, I spent two days keying the same orders into both my current POS and Revel, looking for discrepancies and errors in my setup. Sure, that all took a lot of time. But taking a lot of time up front means spending less time fighting fires after going live. What I'm trying to say is don't think you are going to get your hardware and go live in a week. I budgeted a month for training, setup and troubleshooting before I ever thought about going live. I think a month is the MINIMUM time needed in order to do it right, and I have set up a lot of POS systems in my career. Remember -- as restaurants, our POS is the hub of our data and data analysis. We wouldn't short-change our recipe development, or training our cooks and other staff. To succeed, we need great data that tells us everything we need to know about our business. Revel can be that vital hub, but only if we take the necessary time and effort in the beginning. And, with that, I'll step down from my soapbox.

Pros:

Flexibility -- ability to configure to work the way MY BUSINESS works Customer support and training

Cons:

Needs to get their integrated EMV/contactless payment integration up and running. Currently that only works for one or two payment processors.

8 years ago

Hello Chip, Thank you so much for your detailed input. There's so much useful advice here! We agree that with a robust platform it definitely takes some time to customize, but once you do, you will reap the benefits of having intelligence about your business easily available. We hope to continue to continue to provide stellar service so that you can run your profitable cafe. Your shout-outs to Support and Onboarding will be passed on! Thank you so much for your support and belief in our product and what we are working so hard to accomplish. Cheers and thank you again. -Sarah, Community Manager, Revel Systems

Seth
Restaurants, 51–200 Employees

Pay Monthly to Access your Sales Data????

2.0 last month New

Comments: Fair to poor. It doesn't do anything better than other systems that we've used in the past. I hate how every feature is a required monthly subscription. What happened to developers making a great product and working on improvements to roll out?

Pros:

It functions as a POS system. Nothing stuck out as especially good.

Cons:

The UX for making your menu is much much less friendly than other products on the market. Every single improvement that Revel makes requires an extra monthly subscription to access it. Don't expect any free upgrades. And now a paid subscription to access data that is more than 12 months old??? Are you kidding me? How about closing out your books at the end of the year, or insurance audits? This is ridiculous.

Jeanne
Food & Beverages, 11–50 Employees

Run don't walk AWAY from Revel POS

Comments: At the end when we cancelled was the crowning blow when they acted like complete weasels trying to charge us for one store and only cancelling one. . this went on for months. As I said--after dealing with Revel and their horrible customers service I am convinced this company is run out of someone's basement or garage. Run don't walk AWAY from Revel POS as your POS for your business. There are many other much better options out there.

Pros:

Ease of use for staff and ability to implement our own gift cards & loyalty programs.

Cons:

Pretty much everything else was horrible. Reporting, customer service, adding products and modifiers was a nightmare. Getting issues resolved --just getting someone intelligent on the phone was a challenge--half the time I solved the issue myself while waiting for them to try to resolve and figure out something. This was after waiting sometimes an hour for someone to actually pick up after you spent time on hold. All while trying to run your business.

HUGO
HUGO
Director in UK
Retail, 2–10 Employees

****AVOID**** EXTREMELY POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE AND SCALES NOT ADAPTED TO RETAIL BUSINESSES

Pros:

The overall experience has been extremely poor so there is actually nothing I would say that is positive about Revel

Cons:

Revel customer service is extremely slow, as explained by someone else, you get to exchange emails with about 10 different people and no one knows what they are talking about. The average answer time from them is 5 days. I have a deli in London, and I have been sold Revel as a great POS that would easily work with Quickbooks, which I am using. They provided me with their integrated scale, which was unable to weigh goods that were below 100g. Also, ti was rounding up so a cheese that would weigh 123g would come up as 125g, which is illegal. I notified them and asked for a full refund (including the £2300 set up fee) , which they refused, whereas it is their fault if their scales are not fit for a business like mine. DO NOT WORK WITH THIS BUNCH OF AMATEURS AND THIEVES

Museums & Institutions, 2–10 Employees

Extensive functionality

Comments: Despite the technical issues, our experience with Revel has been great due to its user-friendliness and extensive functionality.

Pros:

Revel has a lot of features that allow us to easily keep track of our visitor numbers and inventory. The system is very easy for our staff to use and it requires very little training.

Cons:

We have run into numerous technical issues with Revel and their customer service has not been very helpful when resolving some issues.

Mining & Metals

I own a restaurant and we use Revel as our POS.

Pros:

I like the view of the menu the most. It allows you to easily select products and add additional items, if you need to.

Cons:

The customer service is horrible. If you have any issues with the system, good luck to you and block off at least an hour.

Angela
OWNER/MANAGER in US
Restaurants, 2–10 Employees

One of my worst business decisions....

Comments: 1. Difficult to set up. I'm nearly set up now and it took me an average of 10 hours a day for 6 or 7 days.
2. Misrepresented themselves as being able to scale down for a small quick service bar with bar tabs.
3. Hold times for support are any where from 20 sec's-1 hour!! Unreliable.
4. Support staff are very nice and try hard to help, but there is some language barrier with every support staff member 24 hours a day.
After many phone calls, emails and frustrating nights I finally received confirmation today that they will release me from contract and charge me 45% restocking fee on equipment. IM somewhat satisfied by that. If you have a QSR or a FSR maybe they work....And maybe usually they answer support calls faster. I don't know. I'm just glad I'm out with a minimally painful 1k mistake.

Pros:

Very adaptive if you are FSR. Many ways to get to open tabs. Support team emails articles and/or videos to help after virtually every support call . Support staff are very friendly and patient.

Cons:

SOUNDED good, but they couldn't deliver! Make sure they demonstrate the feature you want to use before purchasing. I spoke to my sales rep for 30-45 minutes and multiple times and still the system did not work as expected! I could not remove the majority of dining options (we are a bar with NO food or table service) I need lots of tabs and good inventory tracking of my liquor, kinda like a night club. The system works for FULL service, QUICK service or retail I guess... Definitely not a bar with no table service. It is VERY difficult to set up!! At first I thought lots of settings = lots of customization. In my case I found it not customizable to my needs. I was calling support 15 times a day for advise and work arounds. In 1 week I waited on hold with support 4 times for 20-25 minutes each call. One time I actually waited for 1 whole HOUR! Thank fully I still had not gone live. I don't like the menu lay out. Personally I think the categories and subcategories take up a LOT of valuable screen space (BIG squares). I thought I could bypass the subcategories, but after purchase found out that I couldn't get necessary reports that way. Modifiers can only add ingredients. I needed cocktails that use less of one ingredient and more of another. Later found out that was not possible. Also 3 year contract?! Wow that's a big commitment!

Column
IT Operations Manager
Building Materials, 11–50 Employees

Stay away this program

Comments: We are existing Revel System customer but I think our 2 year relationship is going to be an end. Changing a POS system is not simple but we still choose to leave must have our reasons. I just want to share my experiences with everyone who might consider marry to them. 1. We were told from their sale rep the QuickBooks integration will 100% work for Canadian customer because of this reason we signed off the deal, however we don't have a chance to test the integration because it was still under development, we should wait till the launch but we can't wait because we need a new system to support our grow. We did reconfirm the QB compatibility again and again so we don't think there will be a problem. We got everything setup and running, about few months later the QuickBooks Integration finally launched but they told us this feature strictly for US customer only?! This case only escalated to their sales team lead and they refused to go further higher, you have no easy way to reach their upper management team unfortunately we dun have any recording or email for the proof, they only offer a free month to settle the case. They would guarantee you everything at the beginning and once you in everything is just too late, we have learned a lesson. 2. We are not pleased and disappointed on how Revel handle system upgrade, almost every single incident causes us problem and certain level of business impact, we need to bend or change our business model/process to fit these updates. Revel introduce new feature but at the same time take away the old feature immediately, can you imagine how much trouble causing? For example we never had an option call “Credit Limit”, after the latest mandatory POS upgrade on iPad (this is another matter will mention after), we are forced to commit the new changes, we can no longer take "House Account" credit payment until we enable the "Credit Limit" option inside customer, but this is not the major problem, I am so shocking they don't provide a batch upload method, instead we are instructed to make this change inside each customer one by one, we have thousands of customers are on account. This is so ridiculous but why they can't just keep thing simple? 3. The Revel POS consist by two pieces, the frontend (iPad) and the backend (web management). Periodically they roll out major upgrade (notified) or small updates (silence) at the backend and then you must follow their schedule to download and re-install the new iPad App manually during off business hour to match your backend version, otherwise your iPad POS will not function properly 4. They have very slow development, usually the iOS App should be prepared and updated on device before the new iOS launch, but Revel work reversely, they will tell you DO NOT upgrade your iPad iOS Software whenever until they ready. They need to understand you cannot disable system update on iPad, until some point you will get the software update reminder popup crazy everyday on the iPad and you must choose "remind me/install later" to bypass but couple times my staffs by accidently hit the wrong button and fire up the software update, then the till will be out of service until we reach Revel support for fix. I cannot blame on my staffs in this case, Revel have to do something to avoid this to happen. 4. Support - their level 1 support is useless, even level 2 not really helpful, the most words I have heard are "Sorry" or "This is the system design, nothing we can do". I don’t need a sorry. I have a strong feeling their development teams make whatever changes they want without thinking the impacts would brought up to the customers. 5. The most funniest thing is Revel have a Voice of Customer team to hear your feedback, this is cool, they do reach out you to hear your problems or complaints but limited to listen only! They don't follow up anymore, I have one phone conservation and one email both sink into the deep sea, sigh* Good luck!

8 years ago

Hi Column, Thank you for your feedback. I apologize that the experience has been a frustrating one. I will share your input with our leadership and product team. Regards, Sarah, Community Manager, Revel Systems

Meghan
Restaurants, 11–50 Employees

Extremely overpriced fees and disappointing system!

Pros:

It looks nice and sleek on the counter. The actual POS is pretty straight forward after training and most employees caught on quickly.

Cons:

Where to start?? First, the monthly fees are insane considering the poor quality of the product and customer service. For two locations and three terminals, we paid fees to Revel each month. We've experienced a lot of equipment issues (tickets not printing to kitchen, card swipe goes down, mobile unit won't connect and allow orders to be taken, etc) oftentimes in the middle of a lunch rush. We have at least 2 customers every single day tell us that the online ordering isn't working. The system will look like it took their order (and they'll see pending charges on their cards), but they'll either get an error message or nothing at all. We often have people show up to pick up the order they placed online only to realize that it never came through on our system, but Revel still posts the charges as pending and it doesn't drop off the card for 3 days....not a fun thing to tell customers! We have not had a great experience with customer service, and often end up on the phone for over an hour (again, often during a lunch rush). We've had several instances where no one was ever able to answer our issue. Our accountants (who exclusively do restaurants) have found errors in reports (including tax reports for the day) multiple times. Overall, this system just doesn't live up to the quality that should come with such high fees. I called and emailed to put in our notice of cancellation at the end of our 18-month contract (they require 30 days, I put in my written notice 60 days, since their team hasn't been super responsive), I at first would get no response. When I finally did they told me that I couldn't put in my request until 30 days, which just seemed odd to me.

7 years ago

Hi Meghan, I know we have already spoken over the phone about this, but I do apologize for your experience. It sounds like you encountered a known issue with the Online Ordering that has since been fixed. I apologize as I know how frustrating that can be when you are in the midst of service. We do appreciate your feedback and, again, apologize that we weren't able to work on a resolution for you sooner. Best regards, Sarah, Community Manager at Revel

Erin
owner in Canada
Supermarkets, 11–50 Employees

One they get your money, you'll get neither a functional system nor customer service

Comments: The customer service is abysmal. Once the sale is made, you are chopped liver and the company really doesn't even seem to care if your system ever gets up and running after that point.

Pros:

I can see exactly what we sold on a certain day. They look impressive so despite the fact that they have low functionality they look really pretty....but, lets be honest....that's mostly the ipad.

Cons:

Notice how it's spelled rEVEL. (it's illiterate evil with an R). Things I though rEVEL would do but it doesn't, problems we have, and why you shouldn't purchase revel for your establishment. 1. When you set up a customer, they are not automatically set up to collect reward points. Your staff have to create a rewards card separately, then link it to the customer. We've had lots of input errors because of this. The customer and reward points numbers are a customers phone number, which means that if they change their phone number you have to change their customer number. Then deactivate their rewards card number. Then create a new rewards card. Then go to the back end and download the entire customer matrix, insert the number of reward points they should have under their new number, then upload all of the data back into the system. Something that you can only do when you are closed for the day. So many things with revel are like this. Something that should be simple is the most cumbersome thing ever. 2. Customers cant fill in their own information on the customer facing display which leads to lots of inputting errors. 3. The only way collected customer emails link into your email program is if you pay a hefty monthly fee (per pos station) for a third party app. 4. If a customer chooses to have their receipt emailed to them, the system does not collect that email and sync it to their customer identification. 5. In Canada here, there are no Province options when filling out customer details so we can't even collect their address properly. 6. Want to send a coupon to your top 50 customers? Good luck There is no report that you can run for that. Tons of data. No way to mine it. Have fun paying a third party to mine your data for you. 7. Want to know who purchased an item on a specific day? Once again, all this data, with no reports to mine it. 8. GLITCHY! Open orders hanging open, customer reward points not being accrued correctly, and weird little things like pop up balloons that slow down transaction time by 5 seconds, customer list not being alphabetical, orders re-opening hours later showing few cents owing on it, lag time between info going up to the cloud and back down to the stations. (a customer wants to exchange something they bought 5 minutes ago? They have to go to the same pos station they bought it at as the sale will not show up on the other stations for hours). Items that we sell by the each suddenly show an inventory of 1.86 units, where did that .14 of a unit go? 9. CUMBERSOME, the procedures for creating gift cards, processing returns, creating a customer, linking that customer to a reward card. All of it is just so damned cumbersome, takes so many taps on the ipad and is not intuitive....even for our millennial cashiers. 10. The sales people flat out lie. I asked really specific functionality questions from our sales person, who flat out lied about the systems capabilities. Then dropped us like a hot potato once he had our money. I spent the next month chasing Revel to make sure that the install happened before we opened. This attitude of sale first, customer service last, follows through. The hubs that they sold us are glitchy and faulty. We complained about them for a full year. Then we got an email offering us their new and improved network hubs. So basically they sold me crap. Knew that they sold me something that didn't work. Then offered a discount on selling the replacement to me. 11. The Customer Management system does very little. Once again, we had to pay a third party to figure out who our top customers were, then go through their profiles one by one to gather their emails to send them all an email to offer them a reward for being a top customer. 12. You can't redeem multiple rewards at once, or process a refund without a customer making a purchase(we sell milk in reusable glass bottles that the customer gets money back when they bring back their bottle, you can't process this if they just come back to return the bottle without making a purchase), or or process two refunds and a reward under the same transaction. So many glitchy things. 13. Someone will reply to this saying there are no open tickets on our account. And this is true. Because the reply to all of these things is that the feature doesn't exist and I should put in a request for a new feature. Which I have done. Repeatedly over the last 3 years. And here we are, still calling revel support asking why if you sell systems in Canada can I not enter a Canadian address in the system. 14. Poorly trained staff. We are a seasonal business and each spring when we open up, we have to have revel support enter some identification numbers on the back end to have their system work with our payment processor monaris (the only one they offer). It always takes several weeks of my calling back and sitting on hold to get this simple thing done. Every time. This is what it's like calling revel every time. I'm sure that there are lots of weird glitchy things with every system out there but revel really appears as though it was built poorly from the outset and has software flaws that can not be changed. One of my managers spends 10-20 hours per week working on fixing revel errors, calling customer service, figuring out how the system works now that there is another update, writing detailed training manuals for our staff to us the system. It's just so time consumptive and terrible. It makes it all the worse that revel folks just repeat the party line and don't actually look for solutions to the system problems. "Fill in a feature request form" It's like they've all drunk the kool-aid and have become automatons controlled by an evil wizard named Revel.

timothy
Sporting Goods, 2–10 Employees

Poor billing practices after cancellation requested

Comments: I think it's overpriced and too time-consuming inputting modifiers and making changes to suit our business needs

Pros:

I got to keep the really expensive iPad. My workers made a lot of money in overtime because of the time on the phone with customer support troubleshooting problems with the software.

Cons:

As a business owner please do your due diligence and run from this company. After calling to stop the recurring billing from Revel and receiving a ticket 1245556, which stated it was being sent to billing department for cancellation. Revel continued to bill until i contacted them a second time. Their excuse of needing to speak to someone in client relations first before they would cancel the service. No indication when the 1st request to cancel was made that I had to call or speak to anyone else. They go on and on about company policy and how I don't see it their way. Someone calls to cancel a service, as a responsible business you cancel it, you don't leave the account open and continue to bill. If I say cancel, I don't need a sales guy calling from customer relations to offer incentives or to gather facts about his product or why am I leaving. Stop wasting customer's time having them speak to multiple people just to have you stop taking money out of their account month after month.

7 years ago

Hi Timothy, I do apologize for the inconvenience and added frustration. Revel has a policy in place to protect our customers which requires our customers to cancel their account with our customer service team specifically. Unfortunately, if they are unable to reach you, it can prolong the process. I have shared your feedback with our leadership team as we do understand that the experience has been a frustrating one - not what we want for our customers. Regards, Sarah, Community Manager at Revel

Peter

Trust the Bad Reviews

Comments: For the sake of easy reading, I will simply say that at 49 years old, I have never had a worse experience in terms of product capability, professionalism within a company, accountability, and most of all, service. So bad was the product and service, that I willing gave up the initial expense, to allow myself to walk away from any contractual obligation. And this was after only months of use. There is too much negative to put down in a review. We literally had issues with every system of the program: setting up the system, the loyalty program, programming the system, credit card processing, state taxes, and revel not understanding restaurants and the nomenclature of the industry. Advice: Look for a system that clearly outlines their service obligations. Make sure that you are able to speak to someone in the company, and not to an outsourced panel of phone answers who's only response is, "I am sorry that you are having this problem" and who are in no way able to offer solutions to your issues. You will spend hours on the phone during the life of your revel relationship pulling out your hair, yelling things at people overseas that are not typically in your vocabulary or character to say, and ultimately so frustrated that you too, will be looking for ways out of this bad relationship.

Pros:

Few

Cons:

Many

7 years ago

Hi Peter, I am sorry to hear you had such a poor experience and that we weren't able to turn it around for you. It is definitely not characteristic of our platform or current Customer Support structure. I took a look at your history and I see that you have not been a customer for some time now and that your primary issue stemmed from networking - if the networking is not functioning properly, of course, it can cause problems, and it can sometimes be environmental. We have definitely made a lot of advances since you were a customer and we now offer an Apple Ethernet Connect solution which solves trickier situations. I am just sorry we weren't able to offer this option to you formerly. Regardless, your feedback is appreciated. - Sarah, Community Manager at Revel

Owner/GM in US
Restaurants, 51–200 Employees

Not a fan

Comments: I am not happy with the system. I don't think my training was great, we continue to have issues and I spend too much time on the phone attempting to fix things. Mobile devices and gift cards are still an issue. I have not been able to devote the time needed to fix the discount issues. I have had mixed results

Pros:

Mobile ordertakers. However they are a constant problem and we continue to have issues with them.

Cons:

Difficulty with spitting guest checks. Cause multiple challenges with discounts. Overall discount platform. Difficult to use and not meeting my needs. Gift card have been a consistent problem with much time spent on the phone with support people, but still no resolution. Too many issues overall. Today the credit cards didn't work because of some technical issue in support. They got it fixed and it worked fine for a few hours then it stopped working again. Too many issues that steal too much of my time. the system should be working for me, but instead It seems to make my job harder.....

Leah
General Manager in US

Works Well for our Small Business

Comments: Overall, Revel is a good company. We are a small convenience store at a marina and campground and they are working well for us. One of the reasons we went with Revel is because they have teamed up with Shell Corp. to create an integration for fuel pumps and the Revel point of sales. Revel is the cheapest option on the market, that I was able to find, to be able to offer my customers pay at the pump options. This is still in the works, but they are making steady progress and I am excited for when we can try it out.

Pros:

Revel is easy for employees to learn (even the non-tech employees) and to use. They have good updates; they listen to their customers about what is needed and then try to implement it. Our store is an hour away from the main office, and we are able to see the inventory from the office to place orders for the store! The reports are useful, varied and well laid out for ease of reading.

Cons:

The integration between QuickBooks Desktop and Revel has been a bit tricky. I wish their support team was a bit better at understanding how the two programs talk to each other. I have found that I need to have the Revel Support team tell me how Revel is supposed to talk to QuickBooks and then I'll have to go to the QuickBooks support or forum to figure out how to set up QuickBooks so that it does what Revel intended.

Clarice
Retail, 2–10 Employees

A Nightmare...probably a good product but will take you almost a year to learn it.

Comments: Once we were able to talk to tier two people, things improved.

Pros:

Lots of good reports ... if you finally figure out how to get to them. Till is good. Lots of info in "University" must read it two or three times before it makes sense.

Cons:

Labor intensive, requires many many steps to accomplish one thing. Has left our accounting in shambles Unforgivable i.e If you make a mistake in entering purchase order, you can't fix it . It just stays there forever "Integrate with QB' ... does not fully integrate...i.e does not integrate line for line First Tier support only repeats what you tell them is the problem, no fixes Took two weeks to get the wiring set up right d/t false directions from support Has "Chat" but nobody chats... just refers you to something else

7 years ago

Hi Clarice, I am sorry to hear that you have had some trouble learning Revel. Our platform is pretty robust and can definitely take some time to learn since there are over 500 settings to allow you to customize your point of sale. We highly recommend working with an account manager to optimize your setup and to help you achieve your overall business goals. That said, your feedback is being heard and appreciated. In terms of editing Purchase Orders in Revel, POs are editable until they are Saved and Finalized - once you Finalize a PO, you cannot go back in and edit that PO, which is why the system asks you if you are sure you would like to Finalize. We do this, to provide peace of mind and safeguard you against behavior that could be flagged in an audit or employee theft. There are definitely some language differences between QuickBooks Desktop/POS and Revel's integration. There are many unique properties in both platforms which can take some time to fully design, develop, test, and, then, implement. We are always open to feedback about specific features that are needed or functionality that could be improved! Please feel free to email your suggestions to me at [email protected]. Happy to set up some time to chat. Best Regards, Sarah at Revel

Brent
Owner/President in US
Retail, 11–50 Employees

The worst multi-Store POS on the market

Comments: Do your homework first and be thorough. DO not believe everything they tell you. The salespeople are polished. Serious waste of time and money.

Pros:

There are absolutely no Pros to this system. We installed in in June 2017, it is now February 2018 and we still have ongoing issues that are unresolved. The most recent is today with testing the "Online Store". The credit card batches do not match the bank deposits. Revel points at the cc merchant who in turn points back at Revel. Nothing resolved, and nobody will to take responsibility for it. Save your time and money, look for something else.

Cons:

confusing, does not track inventory as it should, does not interface correctly with Quickbooks, support is the WORST. No help, we wasted thousands of dollars on this system.

6 years ago

Hi Brent, I am really sorry to hear that you have had such a poor experience overall. I have taken a look at your ticket history and I do apologize that it looks like you encountered a bug. However, we are definitely working on the issue and as of 2/6 the issue has been resolved. Unfortunately with bugs fixes are not always immediate but we do attempt to push them through as quickly as possible. I can also see that our agents are waiting for the green light from you to integrate QuickBooks. While I do apologize for the frustration you have experienced so far, our customer support teams are actively working with you and happy to assist you with your business objectives. Regards, Sarah at Revel

Mario
Restaurants, 11–50 Employees

Will be a good POS if it works like they said

Comments: My overall experience has not been positive since day one. There have been operational errors from the very beginning to the degree that using Revel has cost us money thru loss of customers who get frustrated with all the online ordering errors and just go elsewhere. Counter service has been slowed down due to having the system freeze up or force an unscheduled update in the middle of service. Customers get frustrated and the employees just make fun of your "provided services"

Pros:

Nothing, none of the functions they promised works fine, everything is a headache and all I have experienced is losing customers which result on losing money, I wish never purchased this system since it tends to make us lose customers regularly as their frustration rises.

Cons:

The programmers are screwing up everything every time they make an update, don't they test their work before applying it to their customers? Apparently no, I have many other reasons to hate this POS now but don't feel like wasting more time writing about it.

Mia
President in US

Mias Cafe

Comments: Excellent!

Pros:

Very user friendly and great tech support

Cons:

I liked all aspects of REVEL, sometimes I had a few cc issues, but were resolved

Julie
Visitor Services Manager in US
Museums & Institutions, 11–50 Employees

Revel System as Inventory Management

Comments: Overall experience is good as we are familiar with the system. Revel support is generally helpful when issues require additional assistance/experience to navigate.

Pros:

POS interface is intuitive and easy to use and easy to train staff to use in everyday sales operations.

Cons:

Revel backend is confusing until one is familiar with abilities. POS interface can prove confusing for processing returns and exchanges of Merchandise. The sales interface can be clunky for processing larger orders.

Guy
Chef-Owner in US
Food & Beverages, 11–50 Employees

A great system for our needs and wonderful sales and implementation team!

Comments: I have a hodgepodge of software doing different things and using different printers...Revel Up has integrated all my systems into one system and one set of printers

Pros:

Having detailed and well-thought-out software with lots of controls and options has made our business run much better.

Cons:

I can't close out and email an invoice from the POS system...It lists payment as "deposit " instead of paid.

Retail, 11–50 Employees

de la mer experience with Revel

Pros:

- Only iPad POS system on the market (as far as I know) that can deal with items priced by weight. - constant improvements on software being done (both UI and management consol) - enterprise management system that allows the management of multiple business units. - excellent 24hr/day technical support - a lot of flexibility in the system

Cons:

- lack of stability with Moneris pin pad integration, ongoing issue of POS and pin pad not communicating at random. - difficult to find how to do certain functions in the management consol (not intuitive - for example searching for a subject through what seems like appropriate keys words will not allows bring up the items) - product costs not linked to inventory costs