Sling Reviews

4.6 (118) Write a Review!

About Sling

Sling is a free employee scheduling tool for managing your hourly employees. Get started for free in minutes, no credit card required!

Learn more about Sling

Pros:

Customer service is readily available and even friendly in emails.

Cons:

Sometimes it is difficult to shortlist relevant shifts and employees when setting schedules for multiple locations, especially in cases of particular employees working in more than one location.

Sling ratings

4.6
4.5
4.4
4.7

8.8/10

Sling has an overall rating of 4.6 out 5 stars based on 118 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Sling before?

Anthony
Anthony
Director of Retail Opertaions in US
Retail, 11-50 Employees

The best scheduling software I've ever used.

Comments: This is has been an eye-opening experience. I didn't know such an awesome scheduling solution existed and is perfect for small or large businesses. Everybody with a team should be using Sling.

Pros:

It allows for coordination across unlimited business locations and unlimited employees. The ability to offer shifts to employees and allow them to claim or apply for them is incredible. SMS notifications to employees for their shifts, daily email notifications for managers to know who is working where, allowing staff to call out or switch shifts, apply for time off, set availability, and more.

Cons:

I don't really have anything negative to say about this software. If I had to find something, it would be that at times, the interface is laid out unusual to our expectations but once you see what it's doing, it makes perfect sense.

Rebecca
Owner/Operator in US
Entertainment, 11-50 Employees

Using Sling changed my life

Comments: Sling has been absolutely, hands down the best software we have ever adopted. I never feel frustrated with it and it helps save me time and irritations. My employees love it too! Best decision ever!

Pros:

I love how easy it is to create a schedule and see what employees are not available, it makes completing the schedule painless and quick. I also love that you can complete it as non-published then once you are ready publish it to your employees. The notification feature telling employees when you schedule them and then again reminding them they are schedule is fantastic; my employees love that feature also. Being able to use the integrated time clock is also a great feature. There are just so many feature and customizations that it would be an asset for any type of business at any size.

Cons:

I absolutely love this software. The only thing that would be nice to add is the ability for an employee to put their availability in addition to the current feature of unavailability. Because we have many employees who work "as needed" and "very part time" this would save a lot of time on their part on entering information. We could easily see when these "flex" employees would be available to work without them having to put in an excessive amount of unavailable entries as they do now.

General Manager in US
Food & Beverages, 51-200 Employees

Good for what we need!

4.0 last month New

Comments: Overall, I'm glad we made the switch from HotSchedules, which is what we used previously. The way that is syncs with Toast POS and payroll is seamless, and it's easy to keep udpated or make changes on the fly. The app sometimes malfunctions, but I anticipate that being upgraded over time.

Pros:

As the person who makes the schedule for ~100 students working as part-time baristas, I like the functionality of making repeating shifts for a certain number of weeks. Color-coded shifts, job titles, and easily specifying tasks lists and job codes, makes for a clean look and clear communication for staff!

Cons:

There are a few things that I look forward to Sling being able to do in the future. One of those is for employees having the capability to offer up portions of their shifts instead of all or nothing. I also wish I could add in templates for specific days of the week (i.e. a "weekends" template and a "weekday" template). When holidays fall on different days of the year, it would be nice to have a specific schedule template saved that can just be applied so that I don't have to manually enter shifts for each of those days.

CFO in US
Automotive, 11-50 Employees

Love and Hate Relationship

Comments: We specifically chose this app because it integrated with Gusto, but the integration does not work well and the payroll report integration with gusto, does not work at all. Customer service is super hard to get hold of, they don't know what is going on, and it has been 3 months and the issue is still not fixed. It was difficult transferring everything over to sling and now we are stuck with them until we can switch over to a new company. Very disappointed with the integration and the lack of support. They have no phone number to call, it is only through a chat, that they take long to respond.

Pros:

Creating, tracking and duplicating shifts works really well

Cons:

Integration with Gusto and customer support.

Carissa
Assistant in US

Sling makes schedule easy

5.0 last month New

Comments: It been very helpful now rather than having make calendar Wright out each and everybody schedule.

Pros:

Sling is easy to use app on your phone tells when you have to be at work and give notifications hour before shift. Easy to see who is all working And where they need to be.

Cons:

There not much of anything I dislike about this software

Chad
Customer Service Manager in US
Retail, 501-1,000 Employees

User Friendly

Comments: I believe Sling has reduced the amount of employees missing work or being late for work. Ability to make announcements to all of our employees to ensure our message gets out.

Pros:

Being able to copy and paste the schedule weekly saves time when making a schedule. In my department alone I have 87 employees. The unavailability feature is great so that as managers we can ensure we are scheduling people when they are available. This reduces the amount of time we would need to make adjustments to schedules if we scheduled someone when they were not available. The messaging and announcement feature is great so that we can send out a group message to get an announcement out to all associates. Also being able to send private messages to employees is great so we do not have to give our personal phone number out to all employees.

Cons:

Not being able to delete private messages. We can archive the messages but cannot delete them. We have to archive each one individually which is time consuming. Also when we want to delete an announcement we have to check two boxes and then hit delete. Would be better if we could just click on the announcement or multiple announcements and hit delete.

Zack
Pharmacy Manager in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees

Extremely easy, inexpensive, and comprehensive scheduling tool

Comments: Extremely positive; we were lacking an online scheduler and mobile access for about 2 to 3 years and the use of Sling made scheduling much easier (versus pen and paper) and reduced issues due to accidental missed shifts.

Pros:

I looked through several scheduling tools before settling on Sling. This included simple Excel sheets, Homebase, and When I Work. I settled on Sling because of the wide array of features for no cost and mobile app access. The mobile app experience, per my team, was easy and extremely convenient. I personally was impressed with the ease of the drag-and-drop scheduler.

Cons:

About the only issues I had with the software was the occasional challenge to invite a new user. We haven't used it in a while now, but the only problem was that it seemed hard to resend the invite email to download the app. That being said, I think it was only because there are a lot of features in the software, and it can be a little challenging to do once specific task simply because it can take a minute to find it.

Stefanie
Director of Operations in US

A Great Resource & Time Saver

Pros:

I love the fact that this software saves me so much time compiling a schedule. I can create recurring shifts when I know that the same team goes to one of our satellite locations.

Cons:

I utilize the free version because the company didn't need all of the bells and whistles that came with the paid versions.

Speech Language Pathologist in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, Self Employed

Features, functions, and fabulous

Comments: Despite the desperate cheerleader narratives about every, single one of their features (we get it, it's cool guys), some of their offerings really are innovative and a welcome addition to business management software that you can't find in any of their competitors (geofencing clock in/out is possibly the best thing I've ever heard), their costs are the lowest I've ever seen and their easy to navigate platform is the most comprehensive I've ever found. Even if they charged 5 or 10x what they are, it would still be an easy choice.

Pros:

This software was easy to use and implement, intuitive, colorful, well labeled, directive, fluid, and flexible. There are a lot of options available and it offers a lot od customization during both set up and operation. I especially loved that the process to use sling, and the web application, was fast and understandable trying to get a small start up off the ground has me already spread thin on time and money, so sling really packs a punch for it's cost, which literally made my jaw drop, unparalleled!

Cons:

The company website (not the web application itself) was cumbersome and their prose was annoyingly perky. Seeing as they rambled on and on in long, overly adulating paragraphs about each one of their features, by the time I got to the "what's included in all packages/price points" section, I was a little disappointed about all the features not included (successful marketing ploy) but disappointing nonetheless.

Gloria
President in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 11-50 Employees

Free Senior Fitness Classes

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: Overall, this is a good employee scheduler

Pros:

Appreciate the features offered in is free platform, and the efficiency for communicating to contractors.

Cons:

The 2022 free trial has reduced much of the service originally offered. Makes it less useful to consider adding features.

Jamie
Coordinator of Production Services and Facilities in US
Events Services, 11-50 Employees

Great scheduling system for decentralized team

Comments: Our schedule and our employees' availabilities are fluid. Sling! is able to keep up without even breaking a sweat. My employees love the mobile app, which can push reminders about scheduled shifts. I love that my employees show up on time, because Sling! can push reminders about scheduled shifts. I managed to get by before I discovered Sling!, but I honestly can't remember how. I'm able to spend so much more time doing the work now that I don't have to chase my employees down to get them scheduled to work.

Pros:

The mobile app is what makes this package great. My employees love the push notifications when new shifts are posted. We have a variable schedule and a student workforce. Our MO is to post available shifts when we need people to work. Sling! lets our students apply for as many or as few shifts as they like. We can then approve individuals to put our team for the day together based on the skills of those who have applied and the needs of the tasks at hand.

Cons:

There is no view available that visually groups like time blocks into shifts. Our shifts don't follow a set schedule, but we often need more than one person to work the same time block on a given day. There are now several features to help you save time when scheduling things like this. For example, you can copy shifts to avoid having to enter all of the same details multiple times, and you can select several different positions when creating a shift, but once created, each person shows up as their own event on the schedule. If I've got a half dozen different people working for each of four different time blocks on a single day, the calendar starts to get a little overwhelming with 24 separate events represented. If there was a way to group like time blocks into shifts with multiple employees assigned, this example would be down to 4 separate events, which is much easier to quickly get your head around.

Lynn
Owner in Canada
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 11-50 Employees

This app is a game changer

Comments: Sling is excellent! I have been using it for several years and it’s getting better every year. I highly recommend it. It’s allows real time scheduling for team members as well as time off requests, shift notifications and several more options. It’s extremely convenient and easy to use. There are great simple features like colour blocking specific roles, it’s the little things that count. Along with all of that there is virtually no annoying advertising. Sling has created a seamless connection between schedule creators and team members creating easy communication and boundaries. Thank you Sling for generously offering such a great app.

Pros:

There are so many options and it’s very easy to use from both the administrator and users point of view. It’s constantly being updated for improvements and there is absolutely no advertising on the free version.

Cons:

It’s not really a con more of a possible option in the future and perhaps this is already an option. It would be great if it could link to iCal for apple users.

Kris
Admin in US
Wholesale, 2-10 Employees

Great for Remote Working

Comments: Sling has made tracking hours a lot easier and has helped the payroll department immensely. It's organized and fairly user friendly, there's a slight learning curve but it's not bad. It's been nothing but useful!

Pros:

Support for this program is good, I've never had any complaints there. You can schedule shifts or just let employees clock in and out as needed. They can pause their shift if a break is being taken. The in app messaging system is decent. As an admin you can leave notes and tags on what each shift is and what that person will be doing/did, they can even been color coded. It's very easy to add an employee and schedule shifts for them. There's a general news feed and a tasks board where you can assign tasks to certain people.

Cons:

The only con I can think of right now is employees can't just directly add a note to the shift they've just finished and the navigation takes a little while to get used to. The messaging system doesn't have a global moderator too, so if something is being said that shouldn't be, screenshots from another employee would be the only way to know.

Robert
Clinic Manager in US
Veterinary, 11-50 Employees

The great hidden treasure

Comments: It just works. No fuss, no errors, no learning curve, just get on and schedule.

Pros:

Although 'sling.is' is not as well known as some of the bigger names it is absolutely one of the best scheduling programs I have used.

Cons:

No cons that I can think of. The software just works and that is hugely important to me.

Rebekah
Enrollment counselor in US
Education Management, 501-1,000 Employees

Sling - scheduling made easy!

Comments: Overall, I have really enjoyed Sling. It has helped me keep track of my own personal schedule

Pros:

Sling makes creating your schedule so easy. Personally, I travel a lot for my job, so being able to track each hour of my day through sling has made things much easier. I also like how easy it is to just request time off for vacation and medical!

Cons:

Can’t really see other team members shifts, so it makes it hard to keep track of what other team members schedules look like through out the day. It would be great to have more of a view.

Nicole
Human Resources in US
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 51-200 Employees

Helpful and Cost Effective

Pros:

My company uses the free version of Sling, and for something that is cost free it's really wonderful. It's easy to navigate, and the messaging system has come in handy for us when our main method of communication (Slack) is down. We've tried several other paid and unpaid employee scheduling programs, and Sling has been the best one by far.

Cons:

The only issue we have is that despite how many times we click "publish all future shifts", we still have to publish each new weeks shifts so that everyone can see. This is a very minor inconvenience though, as it's easy to quickly publish shifts.

Steve
Clinical Manager in US

Bear Valley Community Hospital

Comments: I have used sling at my previous hospital (Mountains Community Hospital) for the last two years and it saved me hours of work.

Pros:

Ease of use, instant notification to my staff of changes in the schedule, and making my staff responsible for making those changes.

Cons:

If you could give the option of having the work week go from Sunday to Saturday, instead of only Monday to Sunday that would be awesome.

Andy
Business Owner in Sweden
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

Sling Provides a Fast Mobile Experience Making it Accessible on the Move!

Comments: A superb app where the whole team can interact with their mobile phones on the move.

Pros:

This is a great app for those who want to see their shifts, swap or offer shifts to the workforce in a few simple steps! The laptop version allows monthly views of all shifts and available shifts.

Cons:

I can't fault this app in any way - Sometimes it could be slower loading on the mobile. Although, I suspect this has something to do with the RAM on my cheap android.

Robert
Owner/Operator in US
Entertainment, 2-10 Employees

This one's a GEM!

Comments: FANTASTIC!

Pros:

Easy to use along with automated schedule reminders for employees is GREAT!

Cons:

"Shift Acceptance" tool should have the flexibility to use it as a "Shift Acknowledged" tool!

Noora
Community Coordinator in US
Restaurants, 11-50 Employees

Great Company-Wide Communication Tool

Comments: Sling is an awesome free program that makes company-wide communication a breeze. It's similar to an internal Facebook, with a newsfeed, messaging and contact lists. We were having communication issues between our three restaurants and Sling helped solve the issue tremendously. When you post on the newsfeed you can see who viewed the post which is great for accountability. It also has scheduling which they are continously adding updates to but we do not use that aspect as we ran into a few complications when trying to save templates for three different locations. It's great because it's an app so you can use the instant messaging to contact one another without needing to exchange phone numbers.

Morgan
Property Manager in US
Commercial Real Estate, 11-50 Employees

Better Organize Your Schedule

Comments: I used Sling to coordinate and schedule individuals canvassing for a political party. There could not have been a more simple way to run the campaign and I have used it in several campaigns over the past few years.

Pros:

Easy to quickly see schedule, Digital sharing among employees, Adjustments are quick and immediately seen, User friendly, High quality app

Cons:

All changes have to be approved by an administrator, it would be convenient if my employees were able to trade shifts themselves without the approval. I wish there was a "low priority" setting that would allow this change. There were some difficulties using the software between different phone providers depending on how good the service was in the area.

Lena
Administrator in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees

Do you forget meetings and when you are supposed to worK? This App is for you!!!!

Comments: I have found it to be a great time saver as an employee. It allows ease of communication and connection with the staff. It is very handy for all employees to know when meetings are scheduled to avoid them missing them or saying they did not know as it is all right there. You can also contact co-workers or managers with one click to find their numbers which is greaat in an emergency situation.

Pros:

I like that it is very user friendly. It takes little time to quick check your upcomming schedule and meetings. It allows for communication of any time off requests to be able to pick up a shift or to give one up. I like tht you can access through your phone on the App and the ease of navigating through.

Cons:

I really do not have anything that I do not like about this software.

Community Relations Coordinator in US
Construction, 51-200 Employees

Love this scheduler for our team!!

Pros:

I love how easy it is to track unavailability, submit time off requests, see others who are scheduled, and communicate with them all in one platform.

Cons:

I wish I could search availability of just ONE other user. Right now I can see mine or I can see full schedule, including everyone's "unavailability." I wish there was a "scheduled" option or just ONE person's option.

Clayton
Student Technician in US
Higher Education, 10,000+ Employees

The easiest way to view schedules.

Comments: I am solving the problem of being able to view my work schedule from anywhere. If I ever need to reference the hours I work in the future or past, I can easily look it up.

Pros:

This product is very easy to use. I love that I am able to view my schedule, and also the schedule of all of my coworkers in one place. The app is very responsive and has a clean, easy to use interface. When filling in my weekly timesheet, I am able to look back at all of the hours I have worked and use that as a reference.

Cons:

One feature that could be added is being able to view my schedule for the month on mobile. I noticed that I am able to do this on the desktop site, but it would be helpful on mobile as awell.

Jewel
Team member in US
Food Production, 11-50 Employees

Love for this website

Pros:

The app makes checking schedule,requesting and dropping shift

Cons:

Less features would get more features in the software