15 years helping Irish businesses

About Calamari

Calamari is integrated with Slack, JIRA, G Suite and Office365. Track your HR records, vacation, PTO, attendance and manage timesheets.

Learn more about Calamari

Pros:

Ease of use and user friendliness. The color and overall look and feel.

Cons:

I would say that the price is our worst handicap.

Calamari ratings

4.6
4.9
4.5
4.7

9.0/10

Calamari has an overall rating of 4.7 out 5 stars based on 520 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Calamari before?

Dorota
Dorota
HR Business Partner in Poland
Information Technology & Services, 201–500 Employees

A powerful solution to get rid of paperwork!

Comments: Do you remember the days when all of your employees had to give you paper requests to go on vacations? I don't! Calamari is lovely, and we got rid of all the silly paperwork we had to do back in the past!

Pros:

- Really helpful regarding compliance. You don't have to remember about all those required by the labour law requests. You have them all inside one app! - Gives you plenty of customization options. We added a few custom made types of leave like Anniversary Vacay Days. It was super easy to configure. - Great integrations with Google calendar and slack. You can see all the most important information, not login in. - All in one virtual place! No more checking paper to verify PTOs!

Cons:

I can't think of any! Calamari changed my life :)

2 years ago

Hello! We're really glad to hear that! We're working hard to make Calamari a helpful and simple solution everyone can use. Managing the variety of labor policies is one of the features that make HR management in multinational companies easier ;).

Sarah
Operations Coordinator in Canada
Nonprofit Organisation Management, 11–50 Employees

Excellent, low-cost solution for Non-profits!

Comments: By switching our leave management and time tracking to Calamari, we have greatly reduced the amount of administrative hours spent on tracking PTOs and ensuring staff are working an appropriate amount of hours. The Slack integration has also been a huge bonus - staff don't need to log in to yet another app and instead can manage time off and clocking in/out right from the Slack app that they already use all day long.

Pros:

Calamari has an easy to use, simple user design that was easy for our team to switch to. The support team is always very helpful in onboarding our organization and answering any questions to date. My favourite part is the Slack integration; my team uses Slack for daily communication, so having the ability to do practically anything you needed for time tracking and leave management within Slack has been extremely convenient.

Cons:

One feature that I think may be lacking is the work schedules. As office workers a team's schedule is usually pretty similar from week-to-week, however, we offer flexible work schedules that have varied number of hours or days that are worked every other week. Calamari currently doesn't have the ability to customize work schedules to this level, which has led our operations team to have to put in more hours than we would have liked in setting up work schedules to properly reflect scheduled number of hours. I would also think this would be a major downfall for any organization that schedules shifts for their employees.

Alternatives Considered: AttendanceBot, Jibble and BambooHR

Reasons for Choosing Calamari: To save valuable administrative time and reduce the chance of human error in paid time off calculations for staff.

Switched From: Jibble and Microsoft Excel

Reasons for Switching to Calamari: Calamari had a more user-friendly design, offered both time tracking and leave management (which most other programs did not), offered non-profit pricing, and had an extremely easy to use Slack integration.

Mona
HR Manager in Switzerland
Financial Services, 11–50 Employees

Everting you can look for in one app

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: The setup process is very easy and they are helpful every step of the way

Pros:

I like that it considers all the flexibility options. You can control and change anything. Also the customer support has been super! i have dealt with one person from start to the end (her name is Ewelina) and she has been a superstar in the transition and always available. Also the mobile app is amazing

Cons:

Nothing comes to mind. I am very happy thus far.

Alternatives Considered: edays

Reasons for Switching to Calamari: Trial option, and flexibility in the settings

Fyvia
HR and H&S Officer in Cyprus
Nonprofit Organisation Management, 51–200 Employees

FK Calamari Review

Comments: For a leave management system it is ok.

Pros:

That it provides an application and it is easier for our employees to log in.

Cons:

The manuals/guides/videos are not as explanatory as they need to be. Maybe some screenshots would help the users and the administrator. Also, the set up was not as easy as we thought and the support we had from Calamari was very limited and many times the answers of our questions were not helpfull or off topic.

Alternatives Considered: HR Partner

Reasons for Switching to Calamari: The cost.

10 months ago

Hello. Thank you for your review. Our Customer Success team is available to our customers during work hours in Poland. That's why in case of a very different time zone, you may have to wait a little bit longer, but we always answer all your questions. If you feel like we didn't answer them, try to contact CS team again and we'll make sure to help you.

Filip
Filip
HR and TL Manager in Poland

Recommended

Pros:

Simplicity. It's easy to learn, effective and very helpful.

Cons:

I don't use it as one tool for all and switch between several.

Parker
VP, People, Mission & Culture in US
Information Technology & Services, 201–500 Employees

Leave Tracking Platform That Checks All of the Boxes

Pros:

Calamari is an outstanding tool for leave tracking. In the 2+ years our company has used Calamari, we have heard nothing but positive feedback from employees and managers. The approval flow and seamless integration with Slack have significantly reduced the approval time for requests. Calendar and notification functionality keeps stakeholders informed of employee availability. Complex accrual rules are easy to configure and the Calamari customer service team is always at the ready to assist when needed. It's a top not platform that gets the exact job done that we need. I recently provided feedback that we hoped the reporting tool could include archived employees so we export historical data on time off trends. Calamari took this feedback and was able to implement a new solution that recently went live. I appreciate them listening to us and building a solution!

Cons:

The .csv importer can be a little finicky. Rarely am I able to complete an upload task without needing support from the Calamari team. The good news, however, is that they are immediately responsive and help me troubleshoot the error. If this could be resolved it would help me rely less on their customer support team, but it's a minor annoyance.

Alternatives Considered: PurelyHR

Reasons for Choosing Calamari: We pivoted to a new time tracking software that did not include any leave tracking capabilities so needed to find an alternative solution.

Switched From: NetSuite OpenAir

Reasons for Switching to Calamari: Calamari was the only platform we found that only provided leave management. Every other alternative came with so many other bells and whistles that we didn't need. The simplicity of Calamari was one of the deciding factors in its favor.

Sandra
Studio Manager in Poland
Entertainment, 11–50 Employees

Perfect and easy to use tool

Comments: I'm using Calamari since 4 years (in my previous jobs and current company). I didn't have any problems or troubles while using it. Calamari helps are improved our workflow, especially with the calendar which we can see easily how many people will be absent in the next days. Also, I feel we can care a little bit of environment by using on-line tool and not to print any leave request etc. That's also important for us to using the tool which doesn't impact negative on our planet.

Pros:

- Calamari is really easy to use, even if employee didn't use similiar tools before, - It's easy to integrate - Working very good, it's clear and intuitive - The support helps me with setting-up everything, they care about users, - The app is also easy to use.

Cons:

I don't see any cons, I'm using Calamari since 4 years and that's why I've chosen Calamari to use again in my current company.

Alternatives Considered: Timesheets.com

Reasons for Choosing Calamari: In overvall, my experience with Calamari was better - it's easier to use and more perspicuous than Timesheets.

Switched From: Timesheets.com

Reasons for Switching to Calamari: In overvall, my experience with Calamari was better - it's easier to use and more perspicuous than Timesheets. The second reasons is easy to integrate, to add new people and also it's available in Polish language.

Marketing & Advertising, 51–200 Employees

Calamari Review

Pros:

This is the easiest software there is for my employees, who often struggled with more complicated ones. Also my favourite part is the ease of contact with customer service who are very fast, helpful and friendly and always solve my problems even when it's something specific for my organisation.

Cons:

I have no negatives here. I can see that things that might be done a bit better (but don't disturb daily work) are developed and introduced to make everything better :)

Alternatives Considered: BambooHR

Reasons for Choosing Calamari: Zoho was the least intuitive soft I've ever seen and and their customer service was really really bad.

Switched From: Zoho CRM

Kamil
Kamil
CEO & Founder in Poland
Information Technology & Services, 11–50 Employees

Great value for money, solid software

Comments: Overall, I love it, easy to use, great value for money, awesome

Pros:

I like everything - it's easy to use, works as intended

Cons:

I have nothing negative to say about Calamari

Alternatives Considered: Google Sheets and Microsoft Excel

Reasons for Switching to Calamari: Great support, great value for money, no brainer purchase

2 years ago

Thank you for a great review! We're glad Calamari suits your needs and we hope you will love our new features!

Biljana
Biljana
People and Operations Manager in Serbia
Information Technology & Services, 11–50 Employees

Great HR software as well as the support, that are always with you to help.

Comments: Overall great experience, bravo!

Pros:

Excellent support, easy handling with Calamari

Cons:

We would like to have the possibility to export the review but in the color of each leave event (vacation, sick days each different color..) so we can visualize it through the review for each employee per month. It would help us with the salary accounting process.

Alternatives Considered: BambooHR

Reasons for Switching to Calamari: Better price, and great support from the first moment.

Lauren
Business Manager in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 11–50 Employees

Good but Not Great

Comments: We moved from paper forms to online. Calamari has a nice visual to it, and seemed to me to be intuitive to use. Set up was mediocre; I think it could be easier but also in testing other products, it's not the worst. We chose to use just the time off portion and not the clock in/out option. This does mean, however, that the time accrued for PTO is not accurate, and while I have told my staff that the accurate accounting is on each paystub, they are frustrated by that.
Additionally, while I feel the system is really self-explanatory, people seem to have trouble with requesting partial days, changing the type of PTO requested (vacation, sick, etc), and requesting multiple days at once.
The customer service is good; they are happy to answer questions you may have.
I decided to look into their clock in/clock out option, to streamline three products that we use, but I did not like the options of a mobile app, web app, or beacons. I didn't like that the beacons did not take into account lunch breaks. I could set a lunch break for everyone, but then if they took 45 minutes instead of an hour, or 1hr5min, it doesn't take that into account.

Pros:

I wanted a product that fit in our budget, that could keep track of time off requests online. I was tired of paper floating everywhere! Calamari fit that bill.

Cons:

There is no way to edit your time off request. If you make a mistake, the entire request has to be deleted, then the manager has to approve the cancellation, then you can resubmit the request. It's a lot of steps.

Alternatives Considered: uAttend, QuickBooks Time, BambooHR and Clockify

Reasons for Switching to Calamari: Cost

Internet, 501–1,000 Employees

Almost invisible and very flexible absences tracking tool

Comments: It takes a while to set up Calamari properly but after you do (and you can always reach out to their support and receive answers and detailed instructions in short time) it works on its own and you just invite new people as they join the team. We have switched from our previousOn a daily basis, I almost don't notice we use Calamari because no one reaches out to me with any issues or questions on how to use it.

Pros:

- thanks to Calamari shared calendars being easily added to GCal we can automatically see any planned absences in the team (holidays, remote work, business trips, sick leave etc) directly in our GCals (previously we had to keep a separate shared team GCal for these and add absences manually) - everyone is able to check their current entitlement anytime with just a couple of clicks and request their time off on the go - no need to send emails to multiple people in the company to request time off and have it registered (this was solved with a customised approval flow) - appointing the substitute can be done at the stage of requesting time off - you can send all notifications to Slack and track status of your request from there - multiple, customisable approval flows and absence types - customised holiday calendars which can be linked to individual users or teams (very helpful especially in Germany) - no need to track the absences manually: it takes a couple of clicks to generate absence reports and requests required for payroll - very responsive and competent support

Cons:

I only wish that we used Calamari on the company level. With other team being first to register for it, we can't fully integrate with GSuite and it takes up to 24 hours for the Calamari shared calendar to sync with GCal.

Danielle
VP in US
Wholesale, 51–200 Employees

Leave Management Tracking

Comments: Great SAAS that is available for a great cost. We didn't need anything super powerful. We actually have the same functionality for free with our ADP software, but pay for Calamari because it is easier from a management perspective.

Pros:

The software is very flexible with regards to being able to track a variety of leave methods. We have different people at different levels of the company who get various entitlements and Calamari was able to handle it all. We also are able to track our business travel of our sales managers through the system which is helpful too.

Cons:

The app is fairly easy, but the user interface could be a bit easier for users who are not as computer savvy. It could be a little more clear on what time they have less what time is scheduled for their net time leftover.

Alternatives Considered: Zoho Recruit, BambooHR and Freshteam

Reasons for Switching to Calamari: Cost

2 years ago

Hello! Thank you for your opinion. We're working on some improvements in our UX/UI design and we hope they will cover your needs. If you need assistance with understanding how our software works, you can contact our Customer Success team. We can arrange a meeting when we'll explain to you everything that isn't clear. Please, contact us via https://calamari.io/contact or by our website's chat.

Lisa
HR in Switzerland
Telecommunications, 11–50 Employees

Calamari is a great and user-friendly time management product

Comments: Overtime has been much easier to check with Calamari then with the system we used before. It takes less time to implement and gives every manager the possibility to monitor their teams. Users are quite happy with the system: easy to add and validate absences. The many possibilities to add the time in the clock in module, using or not the app, makes it very adaptable to every user.

Pros:

it is easy to adapt to any situation, easy to modify and very easy to use. The implementation of the software might take quite long at the beginning, but once it's working, it takes less than 5 min to add new users, adapt their activity rate or week types. The leave module is very practical, especially because anyone can check the absence/presence of all team members. The integration with Outlook and Microsoft Office is a great advantage.

Cons:

The only thing that could be improved is to add the possibility to set up a date when there is a change of activity rate or week type for an employee.

Elia
IT Leader in Nicaragua
Banking, 201–500 Employees

Calamari Review

Comments: I don't have a lot of time using it, but I do like the interface, it is really user friendly and intuitive. You can easily find the options you need and it allows you to update almost anything. Besides, the integration with Slack makes it really easy for the end users, they just need to add the Calamari bot and they will see the options to punch in, punch out or mark their breaks or lunches. The tool is really cool.

Pros:

I truly like that this tool is really complete. It has almost everything you can think of regarding the employees schedules, if you need the users to punch from different locations or to punch from different means like mobile phone or web browser, this tool has it all, it even has the option to print QR codes, you can print the code and place them strategically on your office so the employees can go and scan the code to punch. I also like that it has integration with G Suite and Slack, you can use these tools to import your employees, which makes it really easy to start.

Cons:

The only thing that I don't like is that you need to enter the work days of the employees, you need to specify the time the employees work a day, but if you work in a company where the schedules are updated a lot, this part might be a little cumbersome. Apart from that, all good, the tool has it basically all you need for maintaining your employees schedules.

Kamila
Kamila
Head of Office Administration in Poland
Information Technology & Services, 51–200 Employees

Calamari really helped

Comments: Overall, Calamari definitely did help our HR team to save tons of time spent on monitoring the leaves manually. What is more, our team members can see their history and current leave status live. We can surely see the difference using Calamari brought to our business.

Pros:

Very user friendly interface encourages our team members to use Calamari regularly. The tool is also very simple to use so all in-house communication is strengtened because of that. The Success team writes back within minutes and helps with literally everything so the communication between us/ our team and Calamari is great.

Cons:

There are still some HR-friendly feautres to add. For now we find that Calamari is more intuitive for team members rather than Administrators. For example, the ability to see the history of different kind of contracts and calculate the leaves accordingly, or setting reminders about medical check-ups and OHS is something we still hope to see.

Camille
Partner in Jordan
Design, 2–10 Employees

Amazing HR app, saved me from having to hire HR professionals

Comments: We were looking for an HR solution for an SME, and we selected this one. We set it up a little over two years ago, and have not really had any glitches since. Once a year, we program the vacations for the whole year, and it does the rest. Employees request leave through the app as well. I highly recommend this software for companies of similar size.

Pros:

Manages employee hours, vacations, and sick days without a glitch. Also works great with iBeacon. I purchased and configured an iBeacon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019G0VS64/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1), and configured it to work with the free Calamari app on each employees mobile. The result is that the software could keep track of every employee the second they walk in, and their last exit from the office every day.

Cons:

I have not really had anything that I didn't like. I had trouble deleting employees who left our company, but the support staff were very prompt, helpful, and friendly.

5 years ago

Camille, Thank you for the feedback!

Saul
System Architect in Spain
Education Management, 11–50 Employees

Good software but expensive for us

Comments: It is an excellent software that does what it says. For us and for every company that does not have budget for many SaaS, the price is too expensive. As responsible for the IT internal services, we probably will change the software in the next year for a cheaper one because we are an ONG Foundation and we cannot afford it. For the rest of SaaS we use to have specific budget agreements for non-profit or educational institutions.

Pros:

usability the software is mature enough

Cons:

I would say that the price is our worst handicap By other hands, I would like to have more functionalities like HR (contacts, payrolls, etc) management.

Alternatives Considered: absence.io, Replicon, OrangeHRM and Toggl Track

Reasons for Switching to Calamari: Easy of use, sync with G Suite, check-in.

Agnieszka
Office and Admin Manager in Poland
Maritime, 11–50 Employees

Growing organisation

Comments: The Calamari implementation within our company was easy and quick, very well supported by Calamari support. We use integration with Google Suite and Slack. We use the Calamari leave module on daily basis for applying for different kinds of absences, as well as reporting onsite presence in the office since COVID-19 started, I use a dedicated absence type to register and track employees presence at the office. As an admin and approver I work with Calamari on a daily basis, it is easy to use, I use the mobile version on my smartphone as well. So far the contact with Calamari support was easy and fast. The functionalities are suitable for growing organisation, it is easy to increase the number of employees covered by the application. My overall satisfaction with Calamari is high and I would recommend it for growing and fast-changing organizations.

Pros:

ease of implementation, good contact with support, ease of use, mobile version , integration with Slack, Google Suite, Jira, ease of renewing the subscription, the development of the application functionalities

Cons:

I only miss one functionality - the automation of moving approved hours/days from one absence type to another

Raymond
Technical Lead in Philippines
Furniture, 51–200 Employees

Easy to use

Pros:

We like that we modify easily how leave accruals are earned as well as the time tracking and leave management.

Cons:

Editing a timesheet is a pain and takes a lot of time.

Alternatives Considered: AttendanceBot

Reasons for Switching to Calamari: It was a lot easier to use and cost cheaper.

2 years ago

Thank you for the review. If you have any troubles with timesheets or you have an idea how to improve it, please contact our Customer Success team. They will help you resolve your issue. In near future we're going to introduce new views of our web app so stay tuned - there will be many improvements of the app's usability.

Samuel
HR Manager in Cyprus
Financial Services, 51–200 Employees

Simple and useful

Comments: Im overall very happy just the calendar in the mobile app could be better in my book

Pros:

I like that is it very easy to use and simple and the mobile app really helps make life easier

Cons:

the calendar on the mobile app is not very good and needs some work I have to check the browser caendar better to see all the employee's leaves

10 months ago

Hello, Thank you for your review. We're sorry to hear our mobile app doesn't suit your needs. Our tool constantly evolves, so we hope new updates will improve your experience.

Uros
CEO in Belgium
International Trade & Development, 11–50 Employees

Brief after 6 months of use

Comments: Not that good, but not bad.....I see it as product which is developing, so will wait to see till end of the year are there any improvements.

Pros:

Useful product with lot of integrations and useful features. Simple and clean without crowded features icons etc.

Cons:

USABILITY! As a person who use various web applications on daily basis for decades, I find not that intuitive position of some buttons and especially on large screens my "pointer travel time" to reach click button is long. Also, just by adding some minor improvements usability can be better. Proposals: - implement possibility that user choose font (or change font, it might be personal taste, but existing one is so 2010) - number of records per one listing / page. I am currently running small company ~20users and I frequently need to change pages to load more results for list of employees lets say. maybe somewhere in settings you can allow admin to select number or rows per page. - maybe replace tabbed navigation with accordeon, sometimes is useful to see multiple values from different tabs selected and at the end - creating accrual rules its complete nightmare, your support team (kudos to [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]) saved you for leaving this product. He really set up everything for me.....but.....user should be able to do it by himself, right? so...very very hard to set it up

Giovanni
CEO in Italy
Automotive, 11–50 Employees

Thanks for your job But can help us more

Comments: We have, thanks to Calamari, our hours project under control.

Pros:

Easy, quick to learn, possibility to change different kind of project during the day.

Cons:

I cannot automatically set the clock to the nearest quarter of an hour more when the employee arrives late in the morning or in the end of the day. Example, 8:03 should be automatically shifted to 8:15 or 17:38 --> 17:30

last year

Thank you for your review. Regarding your issue, please contact our Customer Success team here: https://calamari.io/contact They will help you set the app according to your needs.

Den
Manager in Australia
Architecture & Planning, 11–50 Employees

Speak for itself

Comments: I have been using Calamari for 7+ years and am still a happy customer. It saves me heaps of time and I can focus on other tasks. Staffs can DIY check their leave records anytime.

Pros:

Intuitive. The screen is pretty much self explanatory. Easy to implement and use.

Cons:

Nothing that I can think of. If I had issues which I couldn't resolve, I always dropped them an email and they responded promptly.

Bledar
Lead Software Engineer in Albania
Computer Software, 2–10 Employees

Get thing done easy and cheep

Comments: It is easy to use and has all the features my company needs. Also is cheap compared to others

Pros:

The easy to manage employees vacation requests and to track time. Have a mobile app that help do some task on the go.

Cons:

It is missing a MacOS and Windows app. For most of the task the web app is enough but it will be great to have a mac/windows app that is faster and can include some extra features such as:- Push notification- Task bar icon that you can see the time tracking status and also ability to start and stop time directly from the task bar. So, you don't need to open the web app just to start the time or to check if you have already started or not. Since I am a developer myself, I have done a small extension that will show an icon on the task bar that indicates if I have started the timer or not. Also, you can start, pause, resume and stop timer from there.

10 months ago

Hello! Thank you for your review. Calamari doesn't have a desktop app but we recently addedd a Clock In/Clock Out widget on our android app. If you have your app updated, you can track your time directly from your smartphone desktop.