15 years helping Irish businesses

About Rain POS

This all-in-one retail POS brings point-of-sale, eCommerce, and marketing tools together into one system.

Learn more about Rain POS

Pros:

Cons:

Lack of integration with shipping companies. Cumbersome uploads to QuickBooks.

Rain POS ratings

4.2
4.2
4.0
4.1

7.9/10

Rain POS has an overall rating of 4.2 out 5 stars based on 131 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Rain POS before?

Stanley
Stanley
System Administration in Kenya
Information Technology & Services, 11–50 Employees

Best Cloud Based POS System

Comments: Items category for rental product is a nice addition for POS that is all inclusive with an intuitive dashboard, mobile app and easy integration.

Pros:

Easy way to add products to both POS and eCommerce simultaneously is one of the best way to both.

Cons:

The cost of Rain POS is a bit steep for many local businesses and lack huge community base for support.

Tee

Great System for Small Business

Comments: By going to a cloud based system I am able to keep inventory updated when I am at a trade show or selling product online. The integration with Notions Marketing is a time savor. I no longer have to manually add price, description or photos. Everyone comes over when I place my order with Notions. The ability to download data to excel, make changes then upload it back to Rain is simple and makes mass updates seamless.

Pros:

As a small business it is difficult to manage technology without an IT Department. I wanted to take my business online and struggled to find a solution that was affordable, easy to use and had good customer support. RAIN not only met my goals but exceeded them. Their customer support is what sets them ahead of their competition.

Cons:

There are a couple of features I wish they would improve on. The most important to me are Customer Rewards. It doesn't allow online orders to use their rewards and the accrued reward is a dollar amount they can spend when I need it to be a % off.

Aurora
Coordinator in US

Taking Full Advantage of Rain is a Big Job

Comments: I haven't taken advantage of online retail or marketing. I just don't have the time to set up and implement these features so overall the price has not been worth it for me. The website builder is so bad that I am looking for another alternative but the initial setup fee was so high it really does sting to switch to another provider (maybe that was the point).

Pros:

Rain was sold to me and my music store as an all in one solution for POS, website, online sales, marketing, job orders, repairs, rentals, the whole nine. I love the POS and inventory part. The site is a little laggy to start and then everything works super fast. Most things in this realm are intuitive.

Cons:

The onboarding cost was kind of high and I don't feel like I got that much out of it. The trainings were unnecessary and could have easily been done with a video. I really, really, really hate the website builder. They set up my website as close as they could match to my previous one from Wix and they did a pretty good job (although I discovered some mistakes that were pretty bad, such as the wrong phone number for my store, they were easily fixed by me) but I am frightened of doing anything to it beyond changing the text. I would say their web builder UI/UX is straight out of the 90s but that even the 90s had the concept of draft and publish. EVERYTHING you do on the website builder is IMMEDIATELY live and there is no way to revert to an early version without contacting them.

2 months ago

Thank you Aurora for your feedback! We are reviewing your response as it we are striving to always improve. Thank you!

Claudia

Love Rain POS

Comments: They have been fantastic. From set up until current use, they have always been available to help, and have great resources built into their software to help out with simpler things.

Pros:

Rain POS has allowed us to integrate our eCommerce and in store retail in a way that no other company has been able to do. It has been so easy to learn how to use it, and it is very in depth. It is easy for me to change things on the website, and if there is something I can't do, their customer service team is always quick to help.

Cons:

Some features need to be changed buy the software team, I can't change them myself.

Travis
Music, 2–10 Employees

Excellent for Music Stores!

Comments: Overall we have been extremely pleased with our choice to switch to Rain in 2018 for our point of sale and website. The product is incredibly user friendly, can be used on any device (not tied to a license on one desktop machine like other systems) and support is great. One area other shops have asked us about is QuickBooks exports. We don't use that much, but other stores seem to be very reliant on those exports, which they say are lacking in Rain. Again, not a direct complaint from me, but one that I hear about on industry forums & from direct messages. We were a somewhat early adapter of Rain in our industry and are relatively connected in our industry & repair organization, so we seem to field a lot of inquiries about the program. We have recommended the product to quite a few other shops and want to make sure that it fits their accounting needs as well.

Pros:

We've had a great experience thus far using the Rain point of sale program. The initial training was extremely in depth and helped us grasp all of the features before implementation. We love the product integration with Reverb.com and the fact that our inventory remains cohesive across online and in-store platforms. Online & phone support is quick & helpful. Rain has also been very helpful designing and updating our website, which is tied into the point of sale. They are constantly improving, updating and listening to customer suggestions to make their product even better.

Cons:

One feature that is extremely helpful in our industry (music store) but missing from Rain, is a Maintenance Agreement/Service Contract module. We were disappointed it was not available when we switched to Rain, since we used that feature daily with AIMsi. We have found some halfway workarounds in Rain, but would like a more robust integrated module. Ideal features would be: MA identifier on serialized instruments in Work Orders module, ability to auto-send renewal emails to customers when their annual MA is expiring, MA batch operations for large inventories of instruments (many of the schools we service have 200-400 instruments that we maintain on MA's annually).

chris
Business Supplies & Equipment, 2–10 Employees

rain over promised under way under deliver

Comments: at first, they are great but once they figure u are too far to turn back they seem to vanish trying to get answers call one day it might be two days later you get a call back no one seems to care how things are going i my self have a issue with my favorites list the acknowledge there is a problem yet to get it fixed 6 weeks latter

Pros:

local and they sell it like its great when min reality it needs so much work

Cons:

their customer service sucks and that is putting it nicely

2 months ago

Hi Chris, I am so sorry for your experience. I appreciate your feedback and would love to talk more in detail about what you are experiencing. I am here to listen and to hopefully make changes to what you are experiencing. My email is [email protected]. Once again I hear you and we are so sorry.

Roger
Music, 2–10 Employees

Switched to Rain from Lightspeed

Comments: Overall pleased with RAIN and glad we made the switch. A bit more thought into easier workflow within the Register, Special Order and LayAway screens and it will be a force to reckon with. I was hoping for an easier eCom experience, but that is not what I received. Much like other POS Systems that offer an integrated eCom Site...building out the site and making it look the way we want doesn't follow the basic HTML buildout process. As a web developer for over 20 years...I find the eCom platform to be VERY challenging to use and often times VERY discouraging. I can see they worked hard to have the functionality be similar to other CMS Website Platforms (Wix, WordPress, etc), but it's too confusing to navigate effectively taking up valuable time.

Pros:

Integrated Marketing Automatic "pushing" of items to our Reverb.com Account Lightweight on system resources on our iMac's

Cons:

Special Order Workflow is clunky and needs to be simplified. We've resorted to using the "Quote" option to better manage Special Orders and ring in total sales under a "Gift Card" first. That way when working with multiple vendors on a special order, we have easier use of customer funds when "finalizing" the deal. Register is Average and would prefer ability to see cost of products on screen. In Register - when scanning duplicate items they get entered as "new" line item versus adding to the SKU already input. Can't us an IR Gun on an iPad when scanning incoming inventory or during inventory counts. Layaway Screen has some great features, but workflow is a bit convoluted. Website build out is horribly confusing and NOTHING follows traditional HTML processes. This was the same problem with Lightspeed's eCom platform - hard to work with and no sense of workflow.

Sam
Tech Manager and Chief Quilter in Canada

Like Sew POS Review

Comments: Overall we are happy with Rain/Like Sew. It gives us an easy to manage Web front end for our store that behind the scenes in completely integrated with our Brick & Mortar operation. Improvements are still needed in many areas - the system is a work in progress regularly rolling our new and improved functionality.

Pros:

We bought it for the seamless integration of Web and Brick & Mortar inventory management, sales and ease of use. It works very well for this purpose.

Cons:

It is ultimately POS and Inventory Management software with little Accounting functionality. Daily exports to QuickBooks or other software are required, with additional entries in the accounting s/w to accommodate accounting best practices, Taxes on Receiving orders, billing and other financial tasks not accommodated in Like Sew. There are still some issues with Sales, Shipping and Taxes in Canada, and there is no ability to set up multiple price levels internally

Bonita
Retail, 2–10 Employees

Best software for quilting shops.

Comments: Positive all the way. Solutions are always there when we come up with something new or unique to sell. It really helps guide the way I do business.

Pros:

Rain Pos is dependable, well priced with instantaneous software help. The company LISTENS to their clients, I can't emphasize this enough. My POS is with me everywhere, at the doctor, on vacation, in bed at night.

Cons:

I would like an end of day report on products loaded into the system.

Jacob
Retail, 11–50 Employees

Very successful at retail and education management

Comments: Good. It took longer to get set up than we had hoped, as the integration team was swamped. There customer support is ok, but lengthy.

Pros:

I like the integration with My Music Staff. I also like the ease in which we can automate customer payments for services and rentals.

Cons:

I do not like that we cannot easily adjust pricing, and have difficulty on supplier invoice tracking with taxes.

2 months ago

Hi Jacob, Thank you for your response! As I am reading the response, I would love to learn more on where we can help make changes. If you could email me I would love to learn. Thank you!

Brenda

Building my RAIN site

Comments: I really LOVED the RAIN POS system. Unfortunately, my business went thru some major changes in 2019 leading up to 2020, so I had to disengage it from my site. If you are doing enough daily sales in a brick & mortar store, or even in a traveling store situation, it's a GREAT addition to your website. For me cost/value ratio wasn't efffective anymore.

Pros:

I loved the fact that setting up a whole new website platform was done with another human on the other end of the telephone that actually cared, listened and created a useable website for my customers. Step-by-step instruction helped me, an average end user, be able to manage a highly professional looking website. The integration of product sku codes, inventory, customer tracking, re-order points, everything was top notch and an added value for the cost.

Cons:

I would like to be able to take custom orders, invoice the customer, and have the customer be able to make payments/purchases with that option. The PayPal platform fills this gap for me, but I would prefer to use the RAIN payment system as it is more cost effective.

Andrea
Sales Associate in US

Tons of features packed into one POS system, great customer support.

Pros:

Rain has tons of features, and for a music store that sells, rents, and repairs instruments, and also does lessons, there are a lot of things we need software for. With Rain, we can do most of it in one place, whereas in the past, we've had to have a system for this, something different for this, and something different for that also. It's a huge time saver and much less confusing to be able to do everything we need to do in one place. And the website is clean and easy to customize. Customer service is super easy to get in touch with and great to work with.

Cons:

There are still a few bugs in this software. While the customer support guys are good about listening and working on fixes, there are still some small annoying things. For instance, when you delete a product from the Categories page, it does not direct you back to the Categories page, but rather the Products page. There's also not an easy way to move products into different categories in bulk. You either have to open each product manually, or you have to export the info to a spreadsheet.

Todd
Retail, 2–10 Employees

User friendly POS/Website for a small business.

Comments: Rain POS has allowed me to present the entire inventory of my retail shop available online. When photos for my items are not available from vendors, I snap a few with my iphone and they are uploaded in seconds.
I am not a computer tech by any means, but have found making changes to my site an easy task. When in doubt I find one of the helpful webinars and by he end of the viewing I am comfortable tackling the next task.
Customer service has been prompt and thorough. I have not had to call often, but when I do the matter is resolved within minutes. This is a plus as I typically operate my shop alone.
Recently I realized that I was not utilizing the SEO portion of Rain to it's fullest potential. My google placement was lagging back on pages 4 to 7. I spent 3 hours watching a webinar provided by Rain and spent a few weeks plucking away at my site. I am happy to say that 60 days later I am appearing on the first page of searches I deem important. One again I was able to accomplish this utilizing tools provided by Rain, not by paying an outside SEO company for this service.
Overall I am extremely happy with Rain and have recommended it to several other business in my area.

Pros:

Ease of use even for a person not formally trained in computer technology.

Cons:

Just a few small glitches here and there, but they continue to make improvements and they are quickly resolved.

Retail, 2–10 Employees

Does what I need and more.

Comments: Our experience has been excellent. We were up and running the day we opened the doors. This is our first and only experience with POS but I cannot imagine needing anything more. The cloud based system lets me access information from anywhere I have WiFi access. No fear of losing our system due to damage or theft of equipment. Overall I find it very affordable and could not imagine being without Rain POS now.

Pros:

The support we received from the rain team in getting started with a POS system. None of my team had any experience with POS and they made the transition easy. We still don’t use all the features available but are adding them to our system gradually. The customer support system is fantastic. The reports available on the system save hundreds of man hours and help us see how our business is doing. The inventory system is a huge help.

Cons:

Integration with some Consumer Finance companies would be valuable to retail users. A “Dummy” website that could be used for training new employees would be a big help.

4 years ago

Michael, Thank you for your feedback, this is very helpful for us. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know where we can improve so that we can continue to look into additional options.

Overall review of Rain POS

Comments: Overall experience has been 90% positive, & with help from tech support, makes it easy to identify areas we need to improve our knowledge of the system

Pros:

Ability to track sales & purchases on a daily basis if needed

Cons:

Length of time that it takes to make requested changes in the software

Gwen

Customer support is awesome

Comments: Wonderful

Pros:

Easy to use, and help with inventory and daily and year end reports

Cons:

We have no suggestions for any new features we would like to see.

Cindy
Arts & Crafts, Self Employed

Great system!!!

Comments: I had this when I had my yarn store in Alaska. I moved to Tennessee and opened a new store 2 years later and all they had to do way change my information and I was up and running again, all my inventory was intact and functioning. Totally awesome!!!

Pros:

It’s easy to use and the customer service is awesome. You get a live person 24/7. (that speaks and understands English)

Cons:

It doesn’t work on my ipad, which is what I use in my store, instead of a full computer system. So I either have to call and ask you guys to fix stuff or wait till I get home on my Mac. (If it can wait, I’ll make notes as to what I need to do then, wait till I get home, but if not, I call you)

Pam
Arts & Crafts, Self Employed

Excellent value for Service

Comments: Overall, my experience has been quite positive. In fact I have recommended them to other local business owners. The serves has enhanced my business. My clients give rave reviews on my website!

Pros:

The platform Rain provides is user friendly for a Non-tech person as myself. It was fairly straight forward to populate and personalize my website to fit the needs of my business and clients. Customer service has always been responsive and helpful to resolve any difficulties promptly. The value for the cost is excellent.

Cons:

Least favorite is the recent difficulties sending a newsletter. My longtime email address was now blocked from sending. I had to purchase a business email and the integration was rather difficult. Without the help of my husband a professional IT person, I could not have completed the changes myself.

skye
marketing in US
Arts & Crafts, 2–10 Employees

Hands down the worst customer service

Comments: My last conversation with them included telling me that they have far too many customers to be able to look into every single error and that the only way they would look into an error is if I can replicate it for them. Let me repeat that: Only if their customer, generally non-I.T. trained people, can figure out what went wrong in their faulty system AND replicate it for them, will they take the time to see if I.T. errors need to be fixed. He literally told me that Rep is innocent until proven guilty. Customer service at its finest. Let that sink in.

Cons:

As an advanced user of similar products, things as simple as field mapping is beyond their capabilities. For example, the receipts our customer's receive don't even break out the shipping and taxes, even though there are fields for it. Instead, they just see zeros. If this is too much for them to handle, imagine what else is. We've been waiting for them to fix that for close to a year now.

Daniel
Sporting Goods, 2–10 Employees

Pinewski's Ski & Board Shop

Comments: We have been with rain for several years now and have been very happy with the ease of use of our POS system. The professional handling of all our questions and needs, and their customer service, has been second to none. We are continually learning as Rain continues to improve the functionality of their program. We would rate Rain as a top notch program.

Pros:

simple to use, but yet has the ability to fulfill all our POS needs.

Cons:

the inability to make corrections to mistakes without contacting Rain i.e. reversing voids, having voided sales show up on my daily sales reports, and the customer history shot;ld show open sales and or on account sales as a different color or as an open sale rather than completed sale.

Cheryl

Issues

Comments: Great help and support

Pros:

Keeping track of inventory , able to make changes

Cons:

Doesn’t always record fabric sales properly

Kathleen
Operations Director in US
Retail, 2–10 Employees

Software solution that understands our business

Comments: We were a new business and needed to find companies to design a website, provide eCommerce and POS solutions, and a platform for customer communications. We were pleased to find them all within one company.

Pros:

The website design process took our branding into mind. It is easy for both us and our customers to use. Inventory management is intuitive. Point of sale function is also quite user-friendly.

Cons:

Occasionally there are glitches in the system when it interacts with outside programs, such as shipping or payment companies. That being said, there is ample opportunity to suggest new features, report bugs, or communicate directly with customer service to help fix issues.

Karl
Production Manager/Designer in US
Sporting Goods, 2–10 Employees

Rain Retail attempts browser-based POS, but it doesn't quite work.

Comments: I wish I could get some hours back that I spent entering new product variants. Antiquated desktop-based POS systems I've used in the past were far more functional and efficient.

Pros:

The layouts were clean and simple. The customer support was generally responsive when we needed their help.

Cons:

Adding new product variants was a herculean task. The browser-based architecture was a good idea but lacked the efficiency to make it responsive. Overall it was very laggy on all of our computers, new and old.

Barbara
Retail, Self Employed

Rain software

Comments: Now I don't have to physically go and check on inventory, the report tells me what needs to be ordered.

Pros:

I love the ease of using it, the reports help out so much. Looking up customers history is a breeze.

Cons:

I had trouble with my labels in the printing mode. I use a different size of label than they have on file. Not able to pick my own expatriation date on coupons or add new coupons.

Dagmar

Rain POS / Like Sew Website Review

Comments: I really benefit from the synced inventory. Overall, my experience with the POS and customer service has been positive.

Pros:

It manages the inventory in real time between store and online purchases. Now that I have learned how to manage the website, it is easy to frequently change the home page, add new inventory and create promotions. The inventory catalog is a major time saver.

Cons:

There are some surprising disconnects: although a customer is set up with 10% discount, the discount will only apply automatically when purchasing in the store. Somehow the store customer and the (same) web customer are not connected. Lack of integration with shipping companies. Cumbersome uploads to QuickBooks.