Bench Reviews

by Bench Accounting

• Overall
    4.8 /5

About Bench

Bench does your small business books for you. We sync directly with your accounts to deliver tidy, accurate and tax-ready books.

Learn more about Bench

Founder & Creative Director
  • Reviewed on 29/4/2019

"Makes My Life as a Small Business Owner So Much Easier"

Comments: I started my graphic design studio in 2005 managing our books through a part-time bookkeeper who'd come in 1-2x a month and we'd then communicate a few times every week.. This system got us through the first 8 years of our business. Though functional, it was a time-consuming process. We used Quickbooks at the time, and I could never get comfortable using it to manage or understand our business's numbers even though our bookkeeper was serving it on a silver platter essentially. I've always felt Quickbooks was made for accountants, not business owners or individuals. Once can argue, it's supposed to be "accounting made easy", but it's really designed with accounting in mind — not business owners. As a business owner I wanted to quickly understand cashflow and profitability. Whereas Quickbooks seemed to that and much more, it seemed like I was doing my taxes every time I went in there. So I started looking for options and that's when I found Bench. And Bench, even back then, had already provided a service ideal for a small business owner like me. I've been using Bench since 2013 now, and I can't imagine running my business without them. It's allowed me to focus on my clients and design work which are revenue generating tasks, instead of accounting which was an anxiety-generating task.

Pros: 1) Uncomplicated Interface — For a non-numbers/non-accounting comfortable individual it's great. It provides me access and understanding to our accounting in a very digestible yet informative manner. 2) Accessible Customer Service/Communications — All the interactions I've had have been professional, courteous, and problem solving driven. It's never "No". Instead if a challenge arises, they've always been proactive in finding a way to address the challenge or question providing options. It's also especially great that you can speak with them or chat with them with no barriers. At first I was very concerned about this since our books are the heartbeat of our financials, and i was quickly at ease after the first few calls and chats. 3) Easy — Once our accounts were synced and Bench had a clear picture of how our business worked, it's set-it-and-forget-it. What used to required a few hours every week for me now has become an hour or two a month. 4) Transaction Verification Made Easy — I especially love how they've simplified this process to almost a game.

Cons: 1) Cash based bookkeeping. This was a struggle in the beginning since we were accrual based initially. However upon working with them and our CPA, we've managed to stay accrual based and set up a system where we do adjusted entries after filing taxes. 2) Not Quickbooks. This is not really a con, but should make it clear that if you prefer to stay on Quickbooks, this is not the service for you. They will provide your books as spreadsheets for your CPA to work with. At first I was nervous about this, but it hasn't been an issue. 3) Turnover with bookkeepers — Over the years, we've had I believe 5 different bookkeepers over the course of 6 years due to turnover or what seems to be internal promotions. It has not negatively impacted our service, but I do wish it was less frequent since at times I'd have to remind the new person some of the subtleties of our account.

Byron M.
Attorney
Law Practice, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 17/2/2020

"Bench is great"

Comments: My accounting was solved using bench, literally it's set it and forget it, these guys are top notch and make your life easy.

Pros: Incredibly supportive staff, intuitive friendly user-interface, provided year end tax portfolio that I could easily give to my CPA. Bench is just fantastic, I can't say enough good things about the way they have handled my accounts for the past 3 years, highly recommend. If you're a professional, this is for you.

Cons: The only con here is that I didn't switch sooner.

by Bench Accounting on 26/2/2020

Thank you so much Byron for your kind words! We are so happy to be working with you.

• Reviewed on 17/2/2020
Jean W.
CFO
Consumer Goods, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 29/4/2019

"Best Web-based/Remote Bookkeeping Full-Services"

Comments: Great experience, we've been with them for 2 years now and we will not switch to anything else!

Pros: Extremely professional bookkeepers, easy to use user interface and 100% hands-free. They even have auto-linked bank accounts to pull your bank statements so you don't have to manually send receipts and statements. You can view your dashboard anytime and see live updates on your balance sheet. My CPA loves their books as well.

Cons: Sometimes the connection might be off and I'll have to upload documents anyways, and they'll still need my input for returning vendors/suppliers.

Heather M.
Barbershop owner
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 12/8/2020

"Second time using bench"

Comments: First time around was good. This time around I’m not too pleased with the person assigned to my account

Pros: It’s easy to set up and use, semi affordable

Cons: I would like to see mileage tracking and the ability to move items to a category myself

by Bench Accounting on 23/9/2020

Hi Heather, thank you for sharing your experience with us. We regret to hear that you are having concerns with your experience. We would like to connect with you to discuss this matter further. A member of our Client Success team will be connecting with you shortly. All the best!

• Reviewed on 12/8/2020
Missy H.
Founder & CEO
Alternative Medicine, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 30/4/2019

"Takes the hassle work out of financial reporting"

Comments: Overall Bench has helped me to track and monitor my business financials. Tax seasons has been a breeze the last two years with Bench - something a lot of freelancers struggle with.

Pros: - no need to use quickbooks
- friendly and responsive staff when issues arise
- individual bookkeeper assigned to your account
- user interface is friendly and accessible
- reporting features are solid
- costs less than hiring your own bookkeeper
- affordable rates which are advantageous for small businesses

Cons: - auto syncing does not connect w Capital One bak accounts which results oftentimes a 2-3 week lag in getting monthly reports back
- only retrospective reporting; no prospective budgeting features (need to use separate software)
- does not provide tax accounting services; only bookkeeping
- cannot easily customize revenue subledgers without discussing w accountant
- no categories of fixed/variable expenses
- cannot upload documents via mobile devices

Brand, Marketing Communications & PR Strategist
Public Relations & Communications, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 20/10/2020

"The Back Pocket Tool That Solved My Bookkeeping Blindspot"

Comments: Overall, I find Bench.co to be an accessible, easy-to-use, game-changing bookkeeping tool and resource for entrepreneurs & SMEs. The team is efficient, friendly, patient, and thorough (even when I had an adverse reaction to tackling my stuck-point when it comes to bookkeeping and I managed to even annoy myself I was treated kindly, a currency I don't take lightly, especially this year). I even got a goodie from a referral. It felt awesome to be rewarded!

Pros: We all know that transitioning from the "idea" stage of a side gig to a real independent consultancy can be tricky. Without the right mentorship or support for small businesses, many are under the impression they don't need a bookkeeper. If I had known then what I know now, it could have saved me thousands of dollars and time which is priceless to time-scarce bootstrappers with multiple streams of income. I also like that Bench.co works closely with FreshBooks so when I need help I hear from both teams when needed. It's not just the AI in software, it's the EQ and human relationships that make it all come together. Bench.com are definitely real humans which I loved!

Cons: A real struggle bootstrappers have is time. Therefore, it was a near emotional crisis to embrace I had to go into my documents like a surgeon to know every weird detail of each expense which is time-consuming as the names may slightly differ from the actual purchase.

by Bench Accounting on 12/11/2020

Thank you so much for sharing your experience! We really appreciate it.

• Reviewed on 20/10/2020
Daniel D.
Consumer Goods, 2-10 Employees

"AMT Bench Review"

Comments: Bench allows us to accurately forecast our cashflow with ease.

Pros: Right from the beginning Bench made everything extremely easy. My bookeeping is now completely hands-off. Our bookkeeper is always very easy to reach if we have questions and learned our business practices extremely fast.

Cons: I wish I could combined the income statement and other reports to stretch over different years. For instance, if we could view December 2020 and January 2021 in one report instead of having to do the math that would be fantastic.

Patrick M.
  • Reviewed on 6/4/2018

"Awesome tool, great customer service, and affordable!"

Pros: What I love the most is the customer service. Despite this being a "bookkeeping software/tool", you get a dedicated accountant. Executives are so responsive. Every time I have a question, I get a response that same day. The platform is also easy to use, and the interface makes it really easy to upload documents, download reports, etc. Really recommend!

Cons: One small issue is the capabilities. If you have highly complex bookkeeping needs (a unique situation or business model), this may not work for you. This doesn't matter for 99% of businesses.

by Bench on 9/4/2018

Hi Patrick - This is so lovely to hear! We're so glad we've been able to help take bookkeeping off of your plate. I've passed this on to Michael and your team, and you've made their day. - SP

• Reviewed on 6/4/2018
Jay S.
Recreational Facilities & Services, 2-10 Employees

"Life Saver"

Comments: nothing short of great.

Pros: The Bench team was there every step to explain what the software did, how to use it and what they need from me. I am super busy so I needed hand holding and that's exactly what the bench team did.

Cons: I had to do some of the integrations manually, such as sending over bank statements, but I would to have had to do this with a regular bookeeper anyway.

by Bench Accounting on 12/8/2020

Hi Jay! Thanks for the glowing review. Thanks for being with us!

Jocelyn K.
  • Reviewed on 29/4/2019

"Bench Makes Running a Small Company a Breeze!"

Comments: Bench has made accounting for our small business so simple.
I struggled with other software that had clunky user interfaces (Quickbooks) and a steep learning curve, I needed something that could ensure that my business accounting would be accurate and up to date without it eating all of my time.
Our Bench bookkeepers have all been wonderful - they're fast to respond, give good information and work really well with our accountant. Taxes were a breeze this year after a full year with Bench! I have recommend them to other small business owners and urge you to try them out. You'll wonder what you ever did without them.

Pros: Bench makes work simple.
The interface is very user friendly and instinctive, reports are clear and accurate. Our accountant can log in easily and the customer service is stellar.

Cons: There is literally nothing I don't like about Bench.

Brenda C.
Art Director
Biotechnology, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 25/8/2020

"Bench is making my life easier!"

Pros: This is the easiest bookkeeping software I've ever come across. I've been a freelance art director for many years, and have used Quickbooks, Less Accounting, and Freshbooks. With each of those, I was reminded that I'm not a bookkeeper and usually ended up messing up my books somehow. In contrast, the Bench interface is really straight forward and simple to understand, it is easy to use, and the team is really responsive. The absolute best part is having a team of bookkeepers who know what they're doing, who take care of it all for me! They reach out if there are questions, and I can check in anytime I like. I now have confidence that my books are correct, and I have more time to focus on my business.

Cons: So far, I've found no cons to using Bench. I only wish I would have done it sooner!

by Bench Accounting on 23/9/2020

Better late than never, Brenda! We're so thrilled to hear that we are able to support you and your business. Thanks for sharing!

• Reviewed on 25/8/2020
Ali M.
Retail, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 1/1/2021

"Love the ease of use!"

Pros: After months of frustration with our old software, we switched to Bench and have been so happy. It is easy to use, painless, and so convenient.

Cons: So far I am completely happy, no cons yet!

by Bench Accounting on 11/1/2021

Hi Ali, we're thrilled to hear we could make the process seamless and that it's easy to use. We love working with you and are excited to see what comes next for you and your business!

• Reviewed on 1/1/2021
Founder & Creative Director
Hospitality, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 29/4/2019

"Must Have for Small Business Owner"

Comments: What I love is that I don't have to enter a thing! Doing the books was not only frustrating, but also time consuming. Having Bench on my side means I can focus on building and growing my business, knowing that the data that drives my decisions is solid!

Pros: Bench isn't a software. It's a team of people USING a dedicated software platform to help you manage your books. This has made all the difference for me in my business. Other accounting programs didn't teach me how to manage my books or read my monthly reports. My dedicated Bench bookkeeper answers my questions, provides me resources and is a partner in helping me understand my business finances to make better decisions. If you are a small business owner who is great with customers, but bad with books...this is your solution. Stop trying to figure it all out yourself. Call Bench and get a dedicated human to help you out! You won't be disappointed!

Cons: After being on such robust software platform, I miss some of the bells and whistles those packages came with. But, Bench doesn't need all that. It's intuitive and focuses on the financial reports you need to make the best decisions for your business. You may have to look outside the platform to track some of your KPI's.

Adam B.
Realtor/Investor
Real Estate, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 20/8/2019

"Bench is the best option for all your bookkeeping needs"

Pros: 1. Easy to use
2. Does not take too much time
3. Affordable

Cons: There are no cons. I love this product and all that if offers.

by Bench Accounting on 21/8/2019

Hi Adam! Thanks for sharing this positive feedbackwe're over the moon hearing this! We can't wait to pass this on to your bookkeeping teamthey're going to be super excited. Thanks for being with us!

• Reviewed on 20/8/2019
Luis A.
  • Reviewed on 24/10/2020

"Bench has been great for accounting in our small business"

Comments: It's been great. Love that I don't have to keep track of all accounting myself and that I can take a look at how the business is doing from a high level by just looking at the dashboard.

Pros: I like that its very plug and play and they literally do everything for you.

Cons: I haven't come across anything that I dislike really.

by Bench Accounting on 12/11/2020

Thank you so much, Luis! We appreciate the kind words!

• Reviewed on 24/10/2020
Tony S.
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees

"Leave it to Bench"

Comments: Being a hands on small business owner is tough enough. Not to mention all the documents, payroll, and most importantly booking keeping. This is where Bench comes in. The team at Bench is always helpful with any questions or concerns. They keep accurate booking and make it stress free each and every year. You will not be disappointed! Try them out

Pros: Ease of use and up to date information always.

Cons: Nothing. They are very good at connecting everything you need.

Creative Director
  • Reviewed on 29/4/2019

"Bench offers great support for a small Book Keeping Service"

Comments: I am a loyal customer and a happy one. I make it clear if you run a small business Bench can positively help your business grow. If you are a medium business its likely not for you but for Mom and Pops this is a perfect service.

Pros: The price is worthy of the value. The service is grounded and level. The results each year were less stress, more time spent with family because our bookkeeping services were met.

Cons: It's not software its a service, and ultimately every service has a price. I don't think the results are valuable unless you work with your bookkeeper to accurately get all of your bookkeeping done. As a result, there is some time involvement required. BUT FAR LESS than you'd need to do if you managed it yourself.

Trevor E.
Sports, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 6/5/2019

"Love Bench!"

Comments: Wonderful! So happy we started with the business.

Pros: Bench has really helped us with the task of bookkeeping that just got out of hand. The people that help you with your account are so responsive and very helpful!

Cons: I would love to have a screen that shows real-time info on where the company is at in the year.

• Reviewed on 6/5/2019
  • Reviewed on 29/4/2019

"Using Bench for Bootstrapped Software Company a Year Now"

Pros: Easy. Don't have to do anything and they send you pretty monthly reports. Also, it makes tax time so much easier. If you're starting/new this is 1000000x better than trying to DIY.

Cons: It's possible at some point we'll outgrow Bench. Just as business grows there are more complexities and need for full-time staff. Still, it's great (GREAT!) when you're starting. Probably I'd like for it to be a little bit cheaper, but hey that's life.

Cj W.
Founder - Head Coach
Sports, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 8/9/2020

"Saves tons of time!"

Comments: The whole process have been smooth from the set up to each monthly bookkeeping.

Pros: Bench helps me organize all my finances and saves me multiple hours a month.

Cons: I wish the previous months bookkeeping could be done a few days quicker, but overall very happy with this product and how it displays all my information.

by Bench Accounting on 23/9/2020

Hi CJ! Thank you so much for sharing your experience! We try our best to complete your books within 15 business days, once we have all the needed documents and clarification. That said, we have shared your feedback with your team. All the best!

• Reviewed on 8/9/2020
Marian K.
Chief Workflow Officer
Internet, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 3/11/2020

"White Glove Service for White Collar Small Businesses"

Pros: The customers service is incredible. I know that there is a TEAM supporting me, while I still know the name of my main contact person. The platform is easy to use and aesthetically pleasing.

Cons: I have not found anything I don't like about my experience with Bench. They're awesome!

Thanks, Marian!

• Reviewed on 3/11/2020
Jonathan B.
Retail, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 29/4/2019

"Very happy with their service"

Pros: They take care of everything for your Bookkeeping needs.

Cons: I been using this service for 2 years now and I am very happy. I will continue to use them.

President/CEO
Construction, 2-10 Employees

"Best overall experience"

Pros: This is the most efficient book keeping experience out there. They are totally consumer oriented, meaning they have a team of agents always waiting to assist you with every detail.

Cons: I have to say that just the basic setup is my least favorite task of the Bench experience. But I honestly can tell you that gathering and submitting my bank statements to them was the hardest thing I had to do. Even though this was done in less than 15 min....

Brice C.
Events Services, 2-10 Employees

"Love Bench Accounting"

Comments: Positive. Helped us streamline operations, and save money. 9/10

Pros: Bench has simplified my business, and saved me money along the way. I didn't know bookkeeping could be easy until I found Bench and experienced their pro team.

Cons: The different pricing tiers didn't align with our size of business.

David "rev" C.
Director, Industry Insights
Internet, 501-1,000 Employees

"Reliable and affordable"

Comments: Very positive. I renew every year. Saves me a ton of time.

Pros: I run a small business and dont have the or energy run my books, let alone even know how to do it. Bench.co offers a service that is both reliable and affordable. They are also very timely with reminders, reports and other points of contact.

Cons: Ive had a few snags with customer service but anytime something has gone of course, they apologized worked diligently to fix it. Is that what really matters?