15 years helping Irish businesses

About Bench

Bench does your small business books for you. We sync directly with your accounts to deliver tidy, accurate and tax-ready books.

Learn more about Bench

Pros:

I appreciate the quick access to messaging back and forth with my bookkeeper, making notes about transactions, and they referred me to Gusto for an integrated payroll service.

Cons:

My issues have been with smaller banks making it difficult to link accounts to Bench, but this is less about Bench, and more about the banks’ software.

Bench ratings

4.6
4.6
4.4
4.3

8.3/10

Bench has an overall rating of 4.5 out 5 stars based on 305 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Bench before?

Guy
Guy
President in US
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

Life and Business Changing

Comments: In the wake of COVID I left the agency I was at to do my own agency. While I had my business as a side-agency for a number of years and applications like Freshbooks and then Quickbooks Self-Employed helped me manage things I dreaded tax season and all the work I needed to do every year. During COVID I had to get my business up and going, get clients, execute projects, and get things done. I had zero time for managing my books. When the end of the year came up I dreaded the work that was ahead of me with several big projects in progress. Then, through the service I use to pay my contractors, I found out about Bench and it has changed my business AND my life. Bench took 15 months' worth of books that needed to be done and assigned them to a "catch-up" accountant. He went through everything, classified all my expenses, and had a simple way to ask me to review anything they need clarification on. They pulled difficult things to deal with like my processing fees from Stripe and instantly accounted for them. On top of that, having an honest to goodness accountant and accounting team to know how to PROPERLY set up a Chart of Accounts and classify expenses was game-changing. This service easily pays for itself in the time it saves me and the peace of mind it gives me.

Pros:

- An accounting team to get me on track. - Tax resources with their Bench Tax service. - A beautiful interface that is easy to understand and use. - Superb customer service with timely replies to any questions you have. - An easy way to review anything your team needs clarification on, I rarely spend more than 5 minutes a month classifying expenses for them. - EXPERTISE, Bench isn't just software to do your books, THEY are doing your books, understand small businesses and bring accounting expertise at a very affordable price. - Completed my taxes easily and reduced my tax burden, it was the most painless tax process I've had in years.

Cons:

- Communication early in Bench Tax could be improved but I mostly put this on me for being behind. - Having a separate signon for Bench Tax is a bit of a pain but not a big deal.

3 years ago

We appreciate you taking the time to share this positive experience with us, Guy! We're so happy to hear that the Bench platform, the expertise of your bookkeeping team, and timely client support have taken the burden of bookkeeping and tax filing off of your plate. Thank you for being with Bench, Guy!

Steve
Management Consulting, Self Employed

Friendly, helpful staff. Software is nicely designed and easy to use. It's too expensive.

Comments: Overall, I've been very impressed with Bench. The people, organization, resources, and software are top-notch. The price, however, is too much for someone who is self-employed or a small business owner with limited transactions. I understand that you generally get what you pay for, but I don't feel that you get 10x the value over self-managed bookkeeping using Quickbooks, Freshbooks, or Wave bookkeeping software. Excellent product -- it's just not for everyone.

Pros:

Everyone I worked with to understand and use the bookkeeping software was friendly, professional, and helpful. The dashboard analytics was very easy to understand and is very appealing. I also like that I can export all data into a single workbook (summaries and itemized transactions).

Cons:

I don't like that the product is so expensive. Depending on how large your business is and how many transactions you're managing, this product may be too expensive. For example, I've used Quickbooks Self-Employed for years and it's under $20/mo. In comparison, Bench (without any promotions) is hundreds of dollars per month. Granted, they are provided professional bookkeeping services as well as the software, but for a business with 50 transactions per month, it is a little overkill. It's really the only thing I don't love about Bench.

2 years ago

Hi Steve, thank you for sharing your experience with us. It's great to hear that your team has been friendly, professional, and helpful. And that you are finding our User Interface to be appealing and easy to use. We're concerned to hear that you feel as though you are not experiencing the price to the relative value of our product. A member of our Client Success Team will be reaching out to you shortly.

Giuliano
Customer Care Rep in US
Telecommunications, 11–50 Employees

My Experience With Bench

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

With Bench handling all our accounting needs is easy It makes financial reporting easy

Cons:

Not a single issue with Bench. It is has has been very swift.

Scott
Owner in Canada
Design, Self Employed

Bench has let me down

1.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: It almost ruined my business working with Bench. I wish I would have known sooner that they are not a good book keeping company. No real time insights. My last completed books were in 2021! I'm still waiting on 2022 and 2023 to be done. Why did I keep giving them a chance?

Pros:

Back in 2020-21 they were fine, I had one point of contact and reminders to upload information.

Cons:

My books have not been completed for tax years 2022 or 2023 yet. My taxes were filed incorrectly for 2022 and it almost ruined my business due to over paying taxes. I've had 6 different book keepers in as many months. No humans working on my books. Books never get done and can't trust the results.

Pierpaolo
Digital Marketer in US
Information Technology & Services, 11–50 Employees

Handling Accounting Professionally With Bench

Pros:

Using Bench is very useful when it comes to accounting. It is affordable and well equipped

Cons:

It handles very well and no issues with at all.

Shannon
Partner in US
Online Media, 2–10 Employees

Very Happy

Pros:

My Team and I are very happy with the Bench software and customer service. It's easy to use, a breeze to read, and simple to update.

Cons:

The lag time to get a response from a human being is something I'm getting used to as our world is moving to the online/AI experience.

2 years ago

Wow! We're absolutely thrilled to hear that we have been able to give you piece of mind, knowing that your bookkeeping is in great hands! It's also amazing to hear that your team has been professional, friendly and knowledgable. Thank you for sharing and for being with us, Shannon!

Dez
Director in US
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

Clean

Comments: Our overall experience has been that Bench is personable, intuitative, and user-friendly.

Pros:

What we like most about Bench is their level of customer service. From setup to now, the team has been here with us and is extremely easy to reach out to. Beyond this, the interface is very clean, quick to load.

Cons:

There are some accounts that can't be automated, but we understand this. That aside, we would like to see Bench expand and offer more all-in-one service beyond book-keeping and tax returns or make any partners more accessible (virtual CFO, CPAs would be great).

4 years ago

Hi Dez! Thank you so much for your kind review. We also appreciate the feedback! Wishing you all the best.

Samantha
Samantha
Individual & Family Services, Self Employed

Huge help for an entrepreneur

Pros:

Bench was critical in helping me with catch up books for tax time. Being able to upload reports easily from my bank and various credit card processors made things so much easier, and the bookkeepers learned quickly how to categorize the transactions. I'm not sure when I would have caught up on my historical books without Bench. Going forward from there has been very easy as well. I've been able to link the reports to my card processing software and bank, and get updates as they have questions. So simple! I find the monthly reports easy to understand and its given me a much clearer picture of my numbers.

Cons:

The only challenging initial integration was with Paypal- myself and the Bench team member had a hard time linking everything. We resolved it and I didn't have that issue with other accounts. I do wish that this software integrated with my invoicing system, so I could easily see where the profits were coming from. However, I use that system's reports to get a good idea of what's bringing in income.

3 years ago

Hi Samantha, Thank you so much for taking the time to share this review! We're happy to hear that we were able to help get your bookkeeping up to date. We're excited to keep providing a simple and easy bookkeeping experience moving forwards!

Managing Partner in US
Professional Training & Coaching, 2–10 Employees

Its easy and worth it.

Comments: The sales and onboarding team was amazing. [SENSITIVE CONTENT] is a champion.

Pros:

Reconciliation and ongoing communication through the chat is priceless. The teams are fast and handling things in real time is valuable to the process.

Cons:

I'd hoped my monthly statements would be pulled automatically once I linked my accounts.

2 years ago

Hi Michael, we're so happy to hear you had such a great experience with our sales and onboarding team! I'll be sure to pass it along to the team, I know they will be thrilled! We're excited to keep providing the support you need so you can continue to grow your businesses.

Paul
Paul
PMHNP in US
Mental Health Care, Self Employed

Affordable yet Robust Bookkeeping

Comments: I have been satisfied with Bench, and it takes a lot off my mind.

Pros:

The staff at Bench are responsive and helpful. The software is user-friendly. The price is less than most of its competitors.

Cons:

The bank integration does not always function right with the credit union I use.

4 years ago

So glad to hear we've been able to take some stress off your plate, Paul! Thank you for being with us!

Design, 2–10 Employees

Makes My Life as a Small Business Owner So Much Easier

Comments: I started my graphic design studio in 2005 managing our books through a part-time bookkeeper who'd come in 1-2x a month and we'd then communicate a few times every week.. This system got us through the first 8 years of our business. Though functional, it was a time-consuming process. We used Quickbooks at the time, and I could never get comfortable using it to manage or understand our business's numbers even though our bookkeeper was serving it on a silver platter essentially. I've always felt Quickbooks was made for accountants, not business owners or individuals. Once can argue, it's supposed to be "accounting made easy", but it's really designed with accounting in mind — not business owners. As a business owner I wanted to quickly understand cashflow and profitability. Whereas Quickbooks seemed to that and much more, it seemed like I was doing my taxes every time I went in there. So I started looking for options and that's when I found Bench. And Bench, even back then, had already provided a service ideal for a small business owner like me. I've been using Bench since 2013 now, and I can't imagine running my business without them. It's allowed me to focus on my clients and design work which are revenue generating tasks, instead of accounting which was an anxiety-generating task.

Pros:

1) Uncomplicated Interface — For a non-numbers/non-accounting comfortable individual it's great. It provides me access and understanding to our accounting in a very digestible yet informative manner. 2) Accessible Customer Service/Communications — All the interactions I've had have been professional, courteous, and problem solving driven. It's never "No". Instead if a challenge arises, they've always been proactive in finding a way to address the challenge or question providing options. It's also especially great that you can speak with them or chat with them with no barriers. At first I was very concerned about this since our books are the heartbeat of our financials, and i was quickly at ease after the first few calls and chats. 3) Easy — Once our accounts were synced and Bench had a clear picture of how our business worked, it's set-it-and-forget-it. What used to required a few hours every week for me now has become an hour or two a month. 4) Transaction Verification Made Easy — I especially love how they've simplified this process to almost a game.

Cons:

1) Cash based bookkeeping. This was a struggle in the beginning since we were accrual based initially. However upon working with them and our CPA, we've managed to stay accrual based and set up a system where we do adjusted entries after filing taxes. 2) Not Quickbooks. This is not really a con, but should make it clear that if you prefer to stay on Quickbooks, this is not the service for you. They will provide your books as spreadsheets for your CPA to work with. At first I was nervous about this, but it hasn't been an issue. 3) Turnover with bookkeepers — Over the years, we've had I believe 5 different bookkeepers over the course of 6 years due to turnover or what seems to be internal promotions. It has not negatively impacted our service, but I do wish it was less frequent since at times I'd have to remind the new person some of the subtleties of our account.

Don
Automotive, 11–50 Employees

DO NOT USE BENCH

Comments: The worst experience. They will steal from you and provide no services.

Pros:

Nothing. They do not know what they are doing. There customer service is horrible.

Cons:

This is a very incompetent company. They have charged me thousands for services that they have not performed. I have used them for almost a year. I have tried to cancel them and they keep charging me. When you call, no one answers in any department. The voice mail states that they will call you back with in 1 business day. My rep ([sensitive content hidden]) makes appointments and will not hold the appointment time. You sit there and wait for them and they never call.

4 months ago

Dear Don, We sincerely apologize for the frustrating experience you've had with our services. This is certainly not the level of service we aim to provide. We take your feedback seriously and would appreciate the opportunity to investigate and address your concerns. Our customer success team will be reaching out to resolve the issues you've encountered promptly. We understand the importance of reliable and transparent service, and your feedback is invaluable in helping us improve. We are committed to ensuring a better experience for our customers, and we hope to have the chance to regain your trust. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

CEO in US
Photography, 2–10 Employees

Outsourcing to Bench was a Gamechanger

Comments: As a small business we're constantly prioritizing big time spends and deciding what's worth us outsourcing and spending money on rather than time. Bench was one that, as soon as we were set up and going with them, we've never looked back. It is not cheap. But it's worth it for us, no question about it!

Pros:

We've been using Bench for a few years now and absolutely love it. It can be basically as hand's off as you want. We get an email once a month when they're working on our books, sometimes an extra contact here and there if they provide other documentation throughout the year. And we have our CPA and Bench people in touch with each other which is even more off our plate. As small business owners, bookkeeping used to take a ton of our time, and now it's a breeze. And logging into our account we can look around at where our money is going with a quick glance

Cons:

I admit we haven't done a ton of digging around in the actual software - our typical use is them contacting us with any categorization questions once a month (and after a couple years there are hardly ever any). I do wish (or can not find how) we could see how much money we're paying/spending on a particular item. So, say, I want to see how much we're spending on just Facebook ads. What I can do is search for "facebook" (and I can specifically search within whatever time period I want, like Q4 2018 or January 2017), but it won't automatically give me a sum of all of those expenses. I CAN see a summary of expenses by category, but by "line item" (like "Facebook" or "AWS") would be even more helpful.

Media Production, Self Employed

failed to file business taxes on time and did not file personal taxes properly

Comments: tldr; terrible - incompetent, will not support client if there are missed filing deadlines, penalties and fees. During my sales onboarding call, I talked about my 10 years of doing business in NYC as a sole owner of an s-corp. I have to file extensions from time to time. Bench assured me this would be no problem. They missed the deadline to file my business return with NYC. When I asked Bench about this, they replied that they don't do municipal filings. I asked why didn't my tax preparer notify me - the short answer: he didn't even know NYC requires a seperate business filing. It took several intense phone calls to get a refund. My personal returns were the same. They didn't calculate my estimated tax liability when the filed my extension. I got hit with hundreds in penalties and interest. Again I asked why they didn't notify me. Answer: it was in our disclaimer. If you look at what Bench offers, they are charging a premium for essentially googling information for you. The actual issues you will need guidance on, they don't offer. Furthermore, they will not advise you of critical filing necessities because it's in their list of "disclaimers". Find a local tax accountant who understands your business and will have your best interests in mind.

Pros:

The dashboard chat and customer call scheduling were pretty responsive.

Cons:

a bit clunky moving from bookkeeping to tax platforms and not knowing which chat/communication to use when customer support tells you to check your messages.

2 years ago

Hi there, Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We're concerned to hear about some of your frustrations, and our Client Success Team has been actively reaching out to you to address the frustrations.

Destiny
CEO in US
Wholesale, 2–10 Employees

Ease of Use and Best Investment Ever

Comments: My overall experience is great. this is my second time using them. I had to leave the first time while switching my business format but it’s worth the investment knowing that my books are in order in I can easily track my growth and readjust expenses.

Pros:

The best thing about the software is hands off. In comparison to other software you have to not only implement the software you have to hire someone to upkeep it/reconcile it every month, whereas this is all in one pricing.

Cons:

The software may be a little confusing at first but with the customer service they help you navigate how to use the key features. I do wish there was a easier way to download a simple profit and loss and there are some other things that they may not be able to do that you need a CPA for but you at least have all your information in order for the CPA.

4 years ago

So glad we are able to work with you again, Destiny. Thank you for sharing your experience! All the best.

Jon
Restaurants, 2–10 Employees

Bench Works!

Comments: Overall, I recommend bench to everyone. They do have their shortcomings, but in my experience it can be fixed by not giving so many clients to one person. My current bookkeeper is great and very prompt on delivering my books each month. I hope she sticks around. YMMV, but keep with it, bench is the best out there.

Pros:

My QuickBooks was a mess. I had brought in duplicate transactions from syncing with square and I was going to need to manually adjust thousands of items. Then I found bench! The bookkeepers are relatively easy to get in touch with when you have an issue; you can book a call, chat, etc. Come tax time the year end summary they put together was amazing. It made filing taxes very easy.

Cons:

The bookkeepers are spread very thin, and turnover is high. I've been with them a little over a year and I've had 3 different bookkeepers. I had to complain about one of them because he wasn't giving me a complete set of books each month. (They ended up giving a month free while they caught up my books.) It costs much much more than QuickBooks and doing it yourself, and you do have someone knowledgeable doing the work, but all than means nothing if your books are fragmented.

Jean
CFO in US
Consumer Goods, 2–10 Employees

Best Web-based/Remote Bookkeeping Full-Services

Comments: Great experience, we've been with them for 2 years now and we will not switch to anything else!

Pros:

Extremely professional bookkeepers, easy to use user interface and 100% hands-free. They even have auto-linked bank accounts to pull your bank statements so you don't have to manually send receipts and statements. You can view your dashboard anytime and see live updates on your balance sheet. My CPA loves their books as well.

Cons:

Sometimes the connection might be off and I'll have to upload documents anyways, and they'll still need my input for returning vendors/suppliers.

Sunghoon
President in US
Education Management, 2–10 Employees

convenient and accessible

Comments: With bench.co I've been able to see in real-time our financial statements without having to ruffle through paperwork or calling someone/visiting an office. I would highly recommend this service to any small business owner.

Pros:

Bench.co has literally changed the way I operate my organization & school. Whereas in the past we'd have to wait, and work around local accountants who had 100's of clients in queue, Bench allows me the convenience and access to my virtual accountant 24/7 online and poignantly clear on all aspects of bookkeeping.

Cons:

As with all software based services, sometimes Bench can lag in their monthly accounts at the beginning of the new year. This is a very minor inconvenience to the overall experience.

Kacie
FNP, IBCLC, CEO in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2–10 Employees

Really Disappointing

Comments: Poor. I do not feel that I am getting my money worth.

Pros:

I thought I would enjoy seeing where my business expenses were going, but so far I am not able to tell what is going on.

Cons:

No turn around on items I need categorized. No follow up. Slow to respond.

4 months ago

Dear Kacie, Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We're truly sorry to hear about your disappointment with our service. Providing clarity and efficiency in managing business expenses is indeed a top priority for us, and we regret that we have fallen short of your expectations. Rest assured, your feedback is invaluable to us, and we are actively working to address the issues you've raised. We are committed to improving our responsiveness and communication channels to ensure that all our clients receive the attention and support they deserve. We genuinely value your business, and we are committed to earning back your trust and confidence. A member of our Client Success Team will be following up with you shortly. Thank you for your understanding and patience as we work to resolve these issues.

Erik
Executive Director in US
Nonprofit Organisation Management, 2–10 Employees

Completely alleviated stress while reducing my bookkeeping costs

Comments: When I first heard about Bench, I was nervous about switching from a standard, old school accounting firm I'd worked with for many years. Within a week, my fears were dissipating. Three years later, my fears are completely gone. Bench completely meets my needs as a small business owner - while saving me time and money.

Pros:

Bench is SIMPLE. The software provides me an accurate and easy to understand overview of my monthly and annual financials with easy-to- process visuals and graphs. The software integrates automatically with my bank and credit card, alleviating the back and forth calls and emails I used to labor through with my former "brick and mortar" accountants. When I have a question, the Bench team is always available and quick to respond.

Cons:

Nada! No complaints here! I have not experienced a single problem with the Bench software

Public Relations & Communications, Self Employed

The Back Pocket Tool That Solved My Bookkeeping Blindspot

Comments: Overall, I find Bench.co to be an accessible, easy-to-use, game-changing bookkeeping tool and resource for entrepreneurs & SMEs. The team is efficient, friendly, patient, and thorough (even when I had an adverse reaction to tackling my stuck-point when it comes to bookkeeping and I managed to even annoy myself I was treated kindly, a currency I don't take lightly, especially this year). I even got a goodie from a referral. It felt awesome to be rewarded!

Pros:

We all know that transitioning from the "idea" stage of a side gig to a real independent consultancy can be tricky. Without the right mentorship or support for small businesses, many are under the impression they don't need a bookkeeper. If I had known then what I know now, it could have saved me thousands of dollars and time which is priceless to time-scarce bootstrappers with multiple streams of income. I also like that Bench.co works closely with FreshBooks so when I need help I hear from both teams when needed. It's not just the AI in software, it's the EQ and human relationships that make it all come together. Bench.com are definitely real humans which I loved!

Cons:

A real struggle bootstrappers have is time. Therefore, it was a near emotional crisis to embrace I had to go into my documents like a surgeon to know every weird detail of each expense which is time-consuming as the names may slightly differ from the actual purchase.

4 years ago

Thank you so much for sharing your experience! We really appreciate it.

Djabire Marwan
Manger in Burkina Faso
Internet, 51–200 Employees

Bench review

Pros:

Easy to master accounting software and programmatic marketing is a little easier and is practically with Bench

Cons:

One of the easiest software to find and use. No problem likely

last year

We're so happy to be supporting you and your business, Djabire. It's great to hear that we've been able to give you valuable time back, so you can focus on growing your business!

Lizardo
Owner & CEO in US
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

AMAZING SOFTWARE & CUSTOMER SERVICE

Comments: I'd definitely recommend this software to all my friends. Easy to use and great customer service. They get the job done. Great investment.

Pros:

How easy it is to use the software. It shows you all the financial details of your business.

Cons:

I'm really happy with everything they've done so far.

3 years ago

Thank you so much Lizardo! Our engineering team will be so happy to hear you're loving the software and we're glad we can provide you quick access to important information you need. We love working with you and your business, and look forward to what the future has in store.

Kirk
Manager in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 11–50 Employees

It's like having a personal bookkeeper at a much lower cost.

Comments: We save a considerable amount of money over brick-and-mortar services and save a huge amount of time by not trying to do this ourselves with Quick Books or similar software.

Pros:

Value. They provide services like a personal bookkeeping company. Very helpful and quick response.

Cons:

Nothing comes to mind. We've been very happy with it.

Automotive, 2–10 Employees

Good software

Comments: Pleasant experience. Fix times need to be shorter.

Pros:

The reporting tools are very clear. Very easy to upload new documents

Cons:

Time to prepare full report of prior month takes a few weeks. Certain expenses are repetitively miscategorized.