15 years helping Irish businesses

About Float

The leading employee scheduling app for agencies, studios and firms. Trusted by brands including Ogilvy, Metalab and Buzzfeed.

Learn more about Float

Pros:

The Microsoft Calendar integrations it's very good.

Cons:

It's not that mobile-friendly at the moment. I've got trouble scrolling all the way to the bottom.

Float ratings

4.5
4.5
4.2
4.4

8.3/10

Float has an overall rating of 4.5 out 5 stars based on 1,597 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Float before?

Filter reviews (1,597)

Remek
Remek
Head of Design in Poland
Design, 11–50 Employees

The best app for planning and working with a team

Comments: I can't imagine working without Float.

Pros:

Clear, minimalistic and great interface with awesome interactions/microinteractions. Integrations with tools like Asana, calendars, collaborations with the team, and simplicity of use! Fantastic mobile apps.

Cons:

I don't have any points to add here, I have not had any problems using Float - maybe a desktop application for Mac would be useful ;)

Preben
Senior Advisor in Norway
International Trade & Development, 501–1,000 Employees

Highly adaptive software which blends quickly and easily with most tools.

Comments: A software rich of benefits. I appreciate the much I achieve using Float. User friendliness on another level.

Pros:

Implementing this software is amazingly easy. It gives the user a choice to apply several tactics and features to enable best working for this tool. Project management is now a renowned process which I take pride in. Editing is easy and makes using the software friendly for beginners and new members. The free trial is something to take celebrate.

Cons:

Absolutely satisfying. I have no cons for Float. It has played it's role so perfectly.

Computer Software, 51–200 Employees

Featureful, but lacking some that counts most

4.0 last month New

Pros:

The general UI is very nifty and responsive, and the scheduling view is great for visualising timelines. When managing a specific project, it's great for visualising timelines and tasks across the team.

Cons:

It lacks certain reports and integrations, most importantly in the revenue tracking and headcount allocation space. This means that we had to resort to "hacks" to record information, and then visualise this data elsewhere. We also had to use hacks on other softwares to set up the right invoicing / approval / billing processes.

Destiny
Bartender in US
Food & Beverages, Self Employed

Floating away

3.0 3 weeks ago New

Pros:

I really like how scheduling appointments and keeping them altogether

Cons:

There was no reminder alert/ notification

François
Senior HR consultant in Canada
Human Resources, 51–200 Employees

Need a full integration to be useful

Pros:

The possibilities with float are very high, we could have done so much more to get the most of that software.

Cons:

The redundance of the tasks, but it's more due to the use we do of the software than the software itself.

Justin
Program Manager in US
Marketing & Advertising, 11–50 Employees

Perfect for our team

Pros:

Does what it says on the can! The app itself is intuitive, lightweight, and isn't bloated with features. It was easy to set up thanks to a detailed Help Center and a great onboarding team. The Float Community Slack channel is also an excellent resource.

Cons:

There are a few additional features I'd like, but the Float team is pretty transparent with their roadmap, so I'm confident most of those will be added in the coming months.

Antony
Environmental Engineer in Australia
Environmental Services, 201–500 Employees

FLOAT - EI

4.0 last month New

Pros:

minimalistic style makes it easy to identify different tasks and task blocks

Cons:

It's a bit basic in terms of what you can do with scheduling, could be more autonomous when assigning tasks in terms of setting your own colour permanently

Annika
Account and Content Marketing Manager in UK
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

Used float in my previous position

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Pros:

I used float at my previous workplace and the ability to integrate with other apps such as Teamwork was brilliant and its easy to use and amend.

Cons:

There wasn't anything that stood out for me

Sophia
Sophia
Junior Data Analyst in Australia
Information Services, 51–200 Employees

It's a good tool for the purpose

4.0 last week New

Comments: I really don't have any strong feelings about float

Pros:

It lets me log whether I worked today and correctly assign projects

Cons:

Slightly annoying process to log multiple blocks for the same day

Marylet
Owner in Philippines
Arts & Crafts, Self Employed

Own opinion

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Pros:

Resource management software that assists groups in tracking project budgets, allocating resources effectively, and visualizing workloads.

Cons:

Compared to other all-inclusive solutions, it could not have as many advanced project management features as those, task dependencies or time monitoring.

Marta
Head of Delivery in Poland
Information Technology & Services, 51–200 Employees

Imaging floating through production or traffic management meetings!

Comments: We have been using it for almost 2 years, overall we are happy although it took a bit to get the hang of things. The customer service was super nice and helpful the couple of times I have reachedout.We have tried the time recording module a few months back but the price was too much for us at that time.

Pros:

That once you get the hang of it is great tool for my team (about 40 team members). The big board gives great overview and the filters work like charm! As long as you have set them up correctly. This took a bit to click through all the team members but once done it make traffic management SO much easier!

Cons:

Lack of multiple currencies, very cumbersome managment of retainer projects (those that need to be repeated month by month). Phases don't really work for me as it's too much maintenance and it's not the easiest to do

Tomasz
CEO in Poland
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

Resource planning in big picture

Comments: Float is great tool that helps us in three ways: 1. Planning resources in the near future - thanks to this we can easily know what specialist and when will have free time for some short maintenance or start new project. 2. Planning time off office days 3. Get statistics about how much time was spend in which project in wide perspective and quickly check who and when was working on what milestone off the project for client reports.

Pros:

How easy it is. To book resource or edit time range you only need a few clicks or drag and drop.

Cons:

It will be nice to get notifications about not booked time of some resource and small tool for moving all booked resources for a given project in time.

Lewis
Director in UK
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 11–50 Employees

You might manage without it, but you really shouldn't

Comments: Good, really helps to smooth things out by communicating the schedule to everyone concerned, easy to learn and use, support is fast and friendly.

Pros:

Zapier integration, user interface/layout, ability for others to view the schedule without being a billed user, flexibility, detailed reporting function, contstant improvements and updates.

Cons:

I'd like to have employee birthdays displayed on the schedule somehow, other calendars use suitable icons e.g. cake with candles. There's really nothing else important I'd ask for.

2 years ago

Thanks for your review, Lewis! Great to hear that Float is keeping everyone in your team in the loop.

Shanavas
Project manager in India
Information Technology & Services, 51–200 Employees

Float review from a project manager perspective

Comments: Float has solved issues regarding time allocation and prioritization for me, which is what I really expect from this software.

Pros:

I use float to quickly see my and my team's schedule for the day. It gives me an oversight into the entire day's work in a couple of minutes. This is what I like about float

Cons:

Logging in time used versus time scheduled can be a bit more streamlined as right now it's a bit difficult to track unless everyone adds in their time log correctly.

Stephen
Operations Manager in UK
Computer Software, 11–50 Employees

Easy to use

Comments: I have a team spread around the globe and this really highlights what work and projects are being carried out by the team and provides a good forecast of where resource shortfalls are.

Pros:

The software is easy to use and has many features that support resource planning in flexible ways.

Cons:

There could be some work on the global settings where we can convert from a local currency (i.e. Euros, Pounds, Aussie dollars) into a default currency to see how projects compare with each other when normalised.

Ky
Creative Director in US
Design, 2–10 Employees

Best Visual Project Management Tool I've Found

Comments: It has allowed us to essentially self-manage projects without having to have a dedicated PM on staff.

Pros:

We love the ease of use of Float to visualize our team's schedule. It allows us to quickly see how our people are resourced and make adjustments on the fly with the draggable task blocks. It was extremely easy to set-up and implement with our team and projects–no tutorial or laborious how-to required!

Cons:

We use the basic features for an easy workflow overview so it covers all the features we would need.

Nathalye
Design Manager in US
Design, 11–50 Employees

Great tool for visibility of projects

Comments: Overall my experience as an active user of Float has been great, it is very simple to use, and allows management to keep projects organized.

Pros:

The bird's eye feature is a must, it allows for full visibility of the whole team, or segments of it, and allows managers to keep track of current, past, and upcoming projects.

Cons:

Time report integration, we use Harvest and we have to use a different partner for this.

4 years ago

Hi Nathalye, Thanks so much for your review! We don't currently have any direct integrations with other time tracking tools. We do have time tracking available as an additional feature though on Float that pre-fills your team's timesheets based on their work schedule. https://www.float.com/how-it-works/time-tracking You're welcome to try this add-on free for 30 days. An Account Owner can activate this from the Team Settings page inside Float. If you need any help or have further questions, please feel free to email us at [email protected]. Thanks again for the review! Cheers, Siobhan

Merle
Head of Animation in UK
Marketing & Advertising, 201–500 Employees

Integral part of our internal production process

Comments: Float has honestly been a game changer for our studio and as a result, the wider business. The minute we first started using the platform, it transformed the way we visualise our busy schedules and communicated with the wider teams about our availability and timelines. It's made our lives easier and simplified the overall production process - taking a lot of guesswork and confusion out of the equation.

Pros:

The simplicity and immediacy of the timeline interface is massively important for digesting and understanding an often hectic and clogged schedule. Customisation of clients, projects and tasks means that we can see, at a glance, exactly what clients and projects we are working with - it takes a lot of the project management stress out of the process for teams like mine, who need to focus on their own tasks at hand.

Cons:

I think there could be more options to input information within the tasks in a schedule - although there is a notes section, it would be great to see more integration with other platforms like the Google suite (Drive, slides, docs) that could streamline our process even more.

Taylor
Creative Resource Manager in US
Marketing & Advertising, 201–500 Employees

Absolutely Love Float

Comments: Great.

Pros:

I needed a program that tracked resource allocation only, and this is it. I have brought it to every company I have worked at. It is so easy to use and set up and the Asana integration is so valuable. I am able to project the workload for the next quarter in under 30 mins.

Cons:

Would love to be able to prioritize tasks according to importance in the stack but otherwise, no major cons.

2 years ago

Thanks for your review, Taylor! Amazing to hear that you're able to project the next quarter's workload in less than half an hour with Float! Thank you so much for bringing Float into every company you've worked at!

Stren
Stren
Design Director in Hong Kong
Design, 501–1,000 Employees

Great platform for staffing and management

Comments: A good platform to manage: who, what and when. Float has maintained the visual people focus I love about the original product. Integrates well with our data compliance and avoids budget/client confidential data which will need to stay on our intranet. Presentation mode and time split functions are areas to grow functionality.

Pros:

Intuitive and easy to use, focus on work schedule not project budget.

Cons:

Updates are not always realtime forced page reloads required which can be troublesome for the team.

Heather
Heather
Senior Creative Project Planner in UK
Design, 51–200 Employees

Multi disciplinary studio management

Comments: Currently managing a team of 9 designers in a multi disciplinary team with 30+ different jobs daily. Tool has worked perfectly well for top line management of workflow and constant changing priorities. Visually easy to understand. Since the recent update the software has performed so much better then expected and has made a massive difference to usability.

Pros:

The simple usability of the software. How quick it is to add jobs, extend and move jobs around to different people. Flexible scrolling through the weeks. So easy to set someone up and get started with very minimal training. Report system very useful for monthly reports. For top line project management this is the perfect tool.

Cons:

The search bar sometimes doesnt work or show particular jobs on occasion. Search seems to only work within the month you are viewing, rather then showing a job from a previous month. This is intermittent and sometimes works to find what you are looking for when refreshed. Still need to test this after the software update to see if it has been resolved. Doesn't refresh for designers, so we have updated and moved jobs around and they aren't aware as their float has remained the same, unless they manually refresh the window. Would be great to see more in depth project management potential, such as uploading briefs, designs and signing them off all on this software.

Sara
Partner + Brand Strategy in US
Design, 2–10 Employees

Finally -- time management that works for project managers and visual designers

Comments: We needed a way to easily plan and then communicate on our respective tasks for the week. With Basecamp (what we use for project management currently), we could pull to-do lists, but we didn't have a macro view on the week or the month with the time that it would take to complete those tasks. My designer felt like he couldn't really "'visualize" his week and couldn't communicate easily what tasks were taking more or less time than needed. Float has proved to be invaluable for time management and communication.

Pros:

I like that I (as a project manager) can manage time easily for our team of two, but can easily add contract workers, and that visually it works for my designer as well -- he struggled with really seeing how his week needed to flow when just using tasklists, like Basecamp.

Cons:

Anything I haven't liked has been added (e.g. ability to do recurring tasks, reordering tasks). It's a small thing, but we also spend way too much time trying to figure out colors for all of our projects after using the default ones. I would love to be able to add a project from the schedule interface -- like when I go to schedule time and I type in a project, it tries to find it; if it's not there, it would be nice to just have "add this project" without having to exit out of the scheduling box and go into Project.

Kester
Designer in Japan
Media Production, 201–500 Employees

Easy to use and efficient time management tool

Comments: My overall experience with float has been extremely positive. Compared to similar products we've used in the past this is the easiest to use, and we have fewer problems than with other software.

Pros:

Integration with our business was very straightforward, and there are very few problems that arise when using float on the daily. The schedule updates immediately and its very easy to keep track of an entire teams workload at a glance.

Cons:

Sometimes I have issues adding in new tasks to the system, but this is quite rare.

2 years ago

Thanks for your review, Kester! Glad Float was easy to set up for your business and that it's easy to keep track of your team's workload at a glance!

Ruth
Ruth
Metal Sheet Fabricator in Kenya
Machinery, 2–10 Employees

Achieve an equitable and sustainable resource management with Float.

Comments: Float enlightened us on how to have better planning and resources allocations. It allows us to first understand what is available to use and with such information, it becomes easy to plan our work based on what we have and what we are capable of. It allows us to institute responsibility among ourselves since it easy to know who is allocated to which job.

Pros:

Float excellent resources management features helps us to bring together everyone and everything in the organization under one central point and this allows us to plan our projects effectively and allocate duties based on ones capabilities. It has useful dashboards which keeps us updated on the project time and budget expenditure in real time.

Cons:

Working with Float has always been simple for me and i have no dislikes.

michelle
producer in US
Broadcast Media, 11–50 Employees

Float Review

Comments: great for scheduling. pretty happy with everything

Pros:

I like the range of colors we are able to use. easy to adjust timing per day and see total time for each project

Cons:

I wish there was a way for my team members to see everyone elses schedule. I can see the full team, but each individual can only see their own.

2 years ago

Thanks for your review, Michelle! Great that Float is helping you schedule your team's time. A note about who can see and edit other Members' schedules -- your Float Admin can adjust access rights to allow for this. More info here: https://support.float.com/en/articles/5215287-access-rights Hope this helps!