• Overall
    4.6/5

About Abacus

Abacus is the easiest way for you to reimburse your team, reconcile corporate credit cards, and implement your expense policy.

Learn more about Abacus

G. keenan S.
Product Education Lead
Internet, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 15/5/2018

"Effortless expense tracking and management"

Pros: Having come from a huge tech company that had their own proprietary software to submit and reimburse expenses, Abacus is a breath of fresh air. It's unbelievably easy to use and both their website and their mobile app are clean, intuitive and get out of my way. I don't feel like I'm jumping through hoops or need to go through a bunch of red tape to get expenses reimbursed, and it helps me keep track of when my expenses are approved and reimbursements are being distributed. It's amazing being able to just take a photo of a receipt right from the app and upload it immediately. Don't need to hold onto receipts or gather scans in another app. Seriously, this software is so simple. Every company should use it.

Cons: I've had the mobile app crash a few times or just become unresponsive, but this is so inconsistent that I don't really think I've ever been inconvenienced by it.

• Reviewed on 15/5/2018
Bryant S.
Assitant to the Marketing Director
Management Consulting, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 3/5/2018

"Abacus as a simple and worthwhile expense tool."

Pros: Abacus has so many feature, it is practically limitless. We were able to use it to shorten our expense process drastically. Not to mention the fact that the Abacus team is extremely helpful. Their introduction emails answer your questions before you even have a chance to ask them! For us, Abacus was the perfect choice as it offered us both a simple and practical expense platform to start with as well as a technology we will be able to use moving forward and integrate with our accounting software as our sales representatives become more aware of the product. (Which isn't too tough! Its incredibly simple to use!) Pricing is at a great point as well. However, if a user does not submit an expense they will not pay for that month! I would not trust those who offer "free expense software." Those at Abacus are professionals, hands down, no doubt.

Cons: I really have few cons for the software. I think it would be nice to see more instructional videos that we could share with our sales team so that we did not have to explain the software to them. That being said, the software is intuitive and we had few problems helping everyone get up to speed. All in all, there is little to complain about considering how much bang you get for your buck.

• Reviewed on 3/5/2018
David C.
president
Law Practice, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 24/4/2020

"Bad product"

Comments: This has been the worst business decision we have made. We were looking for a case management software to streamline increase efficiency. The sales promises about this were simply not true and the free training is a joke. It is so basic that it served no purpose.

Pros: The support team is very responsive. The product may be great but once you purchase it they want more money to deliver the product rather than deliver the product.

Cons: The product is difficult to use, and simply does not offer the features that are available in quick books.
It is a huge step backwards and requires an amazing amount of time to deal with glitches. It frustrates rather than enhance outlook. The product is outrageously priced for what we are able to do.
I was assured it was the right product for my small firm but I don't think so.

• Reviewed on 24/4/2020
Rebecca K.
Executive Assistant
Law Practice, 13-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 10/10/2017

"Easiest Way to Manage Your Business Transactions"

Comments: This software tremendously helps the accounting team at our Firm. It also helps the users who are required to submit corporate expenses. The categories and customization fields allow this product to be extremely useful.

Pros: I love the Abacus. It's extremely easy to navigate your way throughout the site, and it takes only a few seconds to upload images of your receipt/add a quick description of your expense. I also like that you can create different categories and can require specific fields to be answered. This is extremely useful on the admin side when users are uploading their information for Corporate expenses. It leaves less room for exclusions to me made. This programs took me approximately 30 minutes to learn and I've used it every day since.

Cons: My least favorite thing about this product is just the price, honestly. I feel it is a bit high, but the product is great and the customer service is very helpful, so all in all it's worth the money.

• Reviewed on 10/10/2017
Account Manager
Events Services, 13-50 Employees

"Count your Savings!"

Comments: I love that this is quick, and easy. Just take a picture of your receipts and attached the image to your expenses and that is it! Saves time, and shows corporate where they can save money or where too much is spent.

Pros: Abacus allows you to streamline and organize your expenses. It enables you to systematize how you refund your employees, execute your expenses and reconcile credit cards.

Cons: I haven't found anything I don't like about Abacus. This saves time and money and approval and audit processes are faster. This is easy as counting on your fingers!

Brittany C.
Director of Operations
Management Consulting
  • Reviewed on 11/3/2015

"Perfect fit for our small, fast-paced organization"

Pros: Abacus is very easy to use, and gets money back into our employees' bank accounts as quickly as possible. We knew we didn't want to keep folks waiting up to a month for their reimbursements, and Abacus has just blown us away. We've gotten expenses submitted and approved in 30 seconds, with direct deposits initiated that night. Each transaction also has the documentation we need for our annual audit since we're a nonprofit. It syncs perfectly with our accounting software (Xero) and our chart of accounts.

Cons: There's absolutely nothing I don't like! I was expecting customer service to be less-than-great, since I work for a small nonprofit organization (read: low revenue for developers) but it's been exceptional.

• Reviewed on 11/3/2015
Senior Recruiter
  • Reviewed on 12/12/2019

"Very user friendly and straight forward"

Comments: We switched from Concur to Abacus to handle our employee T&E.

Pros: The way the mobile app and web app work together makes it very easy to upload receipts from your phone and manage your expenses on your laptop.

Cons: Sometimes the mobile app will crash or not function properly - its not quite as built out as the web app.

• Reviewed on 12/12/2019
VP Demand Generation
Hospital & Health Care, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2/11/2018

"Very Easy to Use for Employees"

Pros: I appreciate how easy Abacus makes it for me to submit expenses and how clear the process is. You can quickly see what expenses are pending, what has been approved, and what still need to be approved.

Cons: I wish there was a way to remove categories that are irrelevant to you or your team. I.e. if you are on the accounts team, you should be able to hid the sales categories to make it easier to categorize the expense.

• Reviewed on 2/11/2018
Mal A.
Sales Manager
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 22/10/2019

"Makes expensing a lot easier"

Comments: Much easier to use compared to previous reimbursement systems I've used (paper receipt submission / using spreadsheets).

Pros: Abacus is a really easy way to submit receipts and costs for reimbursement without too much hassle. The interface is very simple - just drag and drop images or PDFs of your receipts.

Cons: It's hard to have a timeline of when costs will be approved, since that depends on the administrator or manager manually saying yes to them (at least in our case). But, once funds are approved it's pretty quickly deposited into your bank account.

• Reviewed on 22/10/2019
Rosa G.
Senior Operations Manager
  • Reviewed on 18/2/2020

"Helpful for managing reimbursement"

Pros: It's easy for me to use and quickly get reimbursed for business-related expenses

Cons: The reporting and permissions have been a little less than ideal.

• Reviewed on 18/2/2020
Matthew B.
Equipping and Discipleship Director
Management Consulting, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 21/12/2017

"Great software"

Pros: This automated our process and allowed us to go completely paperless which was a big deal for our organization!

• Reviewed on 21/12/2017
HR Business Partner
Internet, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 10/1/2019

"Love abacus!"

Pros: Abacus is great. It’s very straightforward and super user friendly. I think it’s extremely easy to streamline the entire expense process.

Cons: Nothing really! I’m just a user on the platform but I find it extremely easy to use and have no issues at all explaining to new hires how to use.

• Reviewed on 10/1/2019
  • Reviewed on 21/3/2019

"Best Expense Tracker"

Pros: Easiest to use expense tracking software. Just snap a receipt and send to your approving manager gets notified. Quick and easy to categorize expenses appropriately, as well.

Cons: No cons, been very happy with Abacus and current and prior companies that have used this software.

• Reviewed on 21/3/2019
Kelsey L.
Management Consulting
  • Reviewed on 25/2/2015

"Work expensing with ease!"

Pros: It's extremely easy to use. The design is clean and neat, and it goes right to my CFO for fast approval of the items I expense for work.

Cons: I use an iPhone 5S, and for some reason, the little red circle with a 1 on it is always on the app on my home screen. I usually like to have all notifications cleared as they come in, and I can't figure out what the red bubble is for.

• Reviewed on 25/2/2015
Supreeth S.
Process Engineer
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 9/2/2018

"Expense System with Easy usage"

Pros: Abacus is a extremely useful expense software with ability to drag images from the platform and also can download images from the phone app.

Cons: The aggregate expense with outstanding amount shall be displayed on home page that will be very helpful for any user.

• Reviewed on 9/2/2018
Head Of Customer Experience
Internet, 13-50 Employees

"Easy to Use"

Pros: Abacus is great - both online and in their app. It's simple to submit (and approve) expenses to keep your team moving.

Cons: There are random bugs that appear in the mobile version that seem to be easily resolved by restarting.

Devani S.
Staff Accountant
  • Reviewed on 18/10/2017

"So far so good!"

Pros: We have been using this system for about five months now. The website and mobile app are user-friendly, which is the biggest pro. It can also be customized to fit your business structure. Overall, the system has delivered well on most of what it promised.

Cons: I think our only con so far is that the system does not integrate with our accounting software as we were told it would.

• Reviewed on 18/10/2017
Jodus M.
Management Consulting, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/2/2018

"Complete recommendation "

Comments: No

Pros: We have used their services once only last year and thoroughly would recommend their customer service

Cons: They are small and may take some time to get assistance. They seem to be always busy which can be both a pro and a con

• Reviewed on 17/2/2018
Mike B.
Retail, 13-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 11/12/2019

"Buyer Beware"

Comments: We left Insynq after 6 years, after their hacking experience and went to Cloud 9. We did not like Cloud 9 at all and went back to Insynq. Now Cloud 9 tells us we are locked in for 36 months. We tried to reduce users from 3 to 1 (which was our original user count) and they say we can't do that either. Need I say more ? ! These people are dishonest in my view. Insynq are wonderful to deal with !!!

Pros: Probably a decent product. My issues are the fact that using their shared servers causes a frustrating experience when accessing our software each time.

Cons: Very aggravating interface. I believe they have deceptive marketing practices.

• Reviewed on 11/12/2019
Jon Q.
  • Reviewed on 3/4/2015

"Easy to use product with a beautiful interface"

Comments: I'm currently trailing a handful of different expense related applications, and Abacus appears to be the strongest contestant. It's intuitive, easy to use, smart!, and powerful. It's very clear that a lot of work went into building this product as the interaction and experience of the app is so simple to use (with little to zero instructions). One of my favourite features would be the ability to quickly filter expenses and generate exports. Their .PDF export is great as it provides a table breakdown of all the expenses as well as all of the receipt images associated with the expense. Give it a shot!

• Reviewed on 3/4/2015
People Business Partner
Marketing & Advertising, 5,001-10,000 Employees
  • Source: GetApp
  • Reviewed on 15/3/2018

"Easy to use"

Pros: The interface is easy to use and expensing on this system is very quick. I use my phone regularly and the biggest benefit is when you can use your phone to upload the expenses on. This makes it relevant and direct, which cuts out paperwork.

Cons: It would be good on the dashboard to see what the expenses have been paid, not just how much has been aggregated.

• Source: GetApp
  • Reviewed on 15/3/2018
James M.
Legal Assistant
Legal Services, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 11/10/2016

"Great For large Firms"

Comments: This is a great system for large firms. It will handle everything you will need to do. You can cover all needs of the firm with this product.

Pros: The Tech support is very good and very willing to help if you have any kind of issues.

• Reviewed on 11/10/2016
Executive Director
  • Reviewed on 2/7/2018

"We use Abacus for expense tracking and reimbursement"

Pros: The app is lite (it doesn't take much space) and it seems to do all of the basics from travel to reimbursement management.

Cons: The app struggles with things it claims to do and has some "advanced" things it apparently cannot do. For instance, connecting a credit card says the app will recognize expenditures for approval later, but so far nobody in our office has been able to make that work. It would also be nice to not have so much downloading, saving, then re-uploading to Abacus (regarding receipts) - other apps do this without saving on your personal machine at all.

• Reviewed on 2/7/2018
Ressa F.
Senior Staff Accountant
Law Practice, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/10/2017

"Abacus is very user friendly."

Pros: As an administrator the ability to reconcile is super easy using the system! I haven't really found any one specific thing that I dislike about Abacus.

• Reviewed on 17/10/2017
Jasleen L.
Director of Operations
Marketing & Advertising
  • Reviewed on 26/3/2015

"Excellent and most user friendly Expense Reimbursement platform."

Pros: Simplicity and ease of use along with the timeliness of payments.

Cons: There is nothing that I would change about this platform.

• Reviewed on 26/3/2015