15 years helping Irish businesses

About Slack

Conversations & collaboration in one place

Learn more about Slack

Pros:

The giphy integration is the perfect way to get folks engaged. I love the search function and the auto-response feature the best.

Cons:

The only drawback is that we just have too many avenues where we connect and so Slack just got lost with all the other programs and didn't become a priority. This is why we no longer use it.

Slack ratings

4.6
4.4
4.6
4.5

8.9/10

Slack has an overall rating of 4.7 out 5 stars based on 23,220 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Slack before?

Filter reviews (23,220)

Jonathan
Jonathan
Lead Game Developer in Mexico
E-Learning, 10,000+ Employees

Great for big projects

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: Great, worked in a huge team, reaching out to the production and QA team, as well as having direct contact with all my middle managers at the company.

Pros:

I used Slack for my time being at a large company with 10,000+ employees. I had never been in a large team before but Slack made the project managment process and team comunication easy.

Cons:

As a user, none at all, but as a small business owner wanting to use Slack, it is quite expensive.

Consumer Goods, 2–10 Employees

Best digital workplace you need for a small or medium company !

5.0 last month New

Comments: It’s part of our daily routine at work so I don't think we are getting rid of slack anytime soon.

Pros:

The instant messaging, the integration with API or other apps ( which in my point of view is very important ), the fact that you can use it as cloud docs management for your office are things that I mostly like.

Cons:

It can a bit frustrating finding docs, the search is not always responsive, but I can find my way around. The quality of the calls needs some work a little, but it's getting better, that's for sure.

Jon
President in US
Computer Software, Self Employed

Slack is essentially advanced texting for business users

Comments: I started using Slack because my client required it. I find that it cuts down on my email dependence but I'm often frustrated when attempting to compose a message without standard elements such as tables, inline images, etcetrera.

Pros:

I like the ability to stay in touch with our users via whatever device I'm currently using. For example, I can respond from my home computer, tablet, work computer or via my phone. I especially like the ability to be notified of a new message via my phone where I can read the message on the phone but can step over to my laptop to reply. I also appreciate the ability to add an email thread to a Slack Channel by simply adding a slack email address (each channel has a unique email address) to the CC field when I reply.

Cons:

The biggest con for me is the extremely limited amount of formatting available to Slack messages. I can make a font bold and add links to files/images but I really miss the rich text features many similar apps provide. It's also frustrating to need to keep typing adding the user name(s) when I'm responding to a message. I'm assuming that this is by design but it would really be nice to be able to "Reply All" to a conversation thread. The desktop Slack application (running on Windows 10 Pro) has a "clunky" feel to it. It's written with a framework that allows the Slack developers to write HTML and JavaScript code that is essentially compiled into a Windows application and it definitely shows. Something as simple as selecting text is counter-intuitive (until you realize that it's essentially a web page mascaraing as a Windows application.

Yuliya
QA in US
Writing & Editing, Self Employed

Slack is a great tool for team collaboration

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: I like using Slack for communication on my work projects and as a chat with my friends. Slack is a valuable tool for communication and collaboration in the workplace and everyday life.

Pros:

One of the main advantages of Slack is intuitive interface. Also I like a channel based structure which allows teams to create a dedicated space for projects.

Cons:

When working in a large team with multiple chats I did experience a message overload. It felt like constant stream of notifications and it takes some time to manage them.

FRED
Students' President in Switzerland
Higher Education, 1,001–5,000 Employees

SUCCESSFUL LIMITLESS ONLINE MEETING SCHEDULING

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: Adaptivity on VoIP, VC and web conferencing services,file transfer and content creation.

Pros:

Easy-to-use templates supporting custom LMS for drag-drop option. Full HD video and web streaming. Audio VoIP in bridge. Agile and elegant file sharing. Available across all internet devices on both browsers and desktop.

Cons:

I think of zero negative compliment to air for now.

Joy
Environmental Planner in Egypt
Management Consulting, 11–50 Employees

Slack at ASL

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: Business instant messaging and employee engagement.

Pros:

I like how Slack keep updating, the recent update (video conferencing) is what I am really enjoying since I reduce the hassle for integrating with external web conferencing apps.

Cons:

Ever since I started using Slack, it has never disappointed.

Marketing & Advertising, 11–50 Employees

Such a help with collaboration

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

This really does make collaborating on projects simple, easy and straightforward. It can manage documents, teams, project management and all sorts of other integrations

Cons:

Sometimes I find the huddle function useless, colleagues cannot hear me when I’m talking or I can’t hear them. I’ve raised complaints but it’s never been fixed

Computer & Network Security, 2–10 Employees

Excellent Messaging App

Comments: It's a best massaging app to go for. I recommend it for the new users.

Pros:

Slack provide quality massaging experience for the user. The app is embedded with great features.

Cons:

As far as it was a very good app. Slack is expensive to manage on the monthly basis.

Financial Services, 201–500 Employees

One of the Best Communication tools

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

Really love how easy and organized your team can be with your Team

Cons:

It’s not easy to get up to start but definitely worth it

Rono
Rono
Web Developer in Kenya
Computer Software, Self Employed

Slack is surely the king of work related updates, there's no better app.

4.0 2 months ago New

Comments: So far Slack has lived up to its name, a proper communication software.

Pros:

I love how related work communities are grouped in channels. this ensures fast and organised communication.

Cons:

I dislike the way the slackbot removes members of a channel automatically.

Erik
Systems Administrator in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 201–500 Employees

Great team messaging application

Comments: Overall experience has been great. All the features work as intended. We have never had people miss notifications, fail to send attachments, not able to logon etc... All issues we have had with MS Teams.

Pros:

It is very easy to use. Appealing graphical interface. Many integrations with other apps. Easy to use features. Shortcuts make work quick, as well as the slash commands. Easy to navigate, create channels (public or private) and customize for your team.

Cons:

The cost is high. Our company has the paid version of slack, which is a great product. However, since we are using O365, teams is included for *free*. It was hard to justify keeping Slack as a paid product when we have another solution available. Keep in mind, teams is a sub par replacement.

Heather
Content Manager in US
Events Services, 11–50 Employees

It's changed the way we communicate!

Comments: As I said, it's changed the way we communicate. This is especially important for our company that's not only split between two main offices in different locations but now also has remote employees across four additional states. Slack helps us stay connected to the teammates we rarely see in person, allowing us to build friendships and maintain an awesome company culture. It also helps our entire team stay informed on everything that's happening within the company, from customer service to development.

Pros:

Before Slack, our team primarily communicated through email and one-on-one chat services. This caused a lot of miscommunication and wasted time going back and forth between people, passing on information, etc. Using Slack took away all of that. Being able to chat through channels allows us to communicate with groups of people at one time so everyone has access to discussions that might apply to them. We also really value the video chat feature because we have several remote employees that you can talk to face to face with a click of a button. Which is far better than having to go open some separate video chat app just to make a phone call.

Cons:

Slack can be a little "noisy" for some people, but there are ways around that, so I don't really consider it a bad thing. It's just up to each user to figure out how to make Slack work best for them. We've had some complaints within our team about the new text formatting, most specifically our engineers that preferred doing it on their own and find the new user-friendly format to actually be a hindrance. They'd really like for that to be a feature that each user to choose to enable or not.

Nikki
IT Help Coorindator in US
Higher Education, 201–500 Employees

Great communcation software

Comments: Like I had said I really love Slack. It has made it easier to communtate with my team, share information and it actually brought us together!

Pros:

I have used Slack for years now and was so excited when we started using it at my current workplace. We had tried to use other software but it never really took off as Slack has. It is super easy to use and has many different client versions. Everyone in the office can decide how they want to use it which is a hugeeeee plus! We use the free version which really is great for us. There is a limit to how many message Slack stores but this hasn't been a huge issue. You are able to create different channels which has been a great way to share important information that we have to reference and keep it organized. Slack has also brought our team together and gave us a new modern way to communicate. Also what I love is that you can really customize notifications,

Cons:

I don't like how with my particular phone notifations can be delayed. It has caused a few issues where I have gotten messages 30 to 40 minutes later despite having good either wifi or ceular service. Otherwise no real issues with Slack!

Tigran
Developer in Armenia
Information Technology & Services, 11–50 Employees

Slack review for company use

Comments: Overall It's a very useful app for little teams and big companies, you can manage your team/s with this app, beside chatting and conversation, it seems like you can visualise your work here with many addons. For example I have integrated github, jira, pivotal and these types of apps and can see notifications coming from this task managment tools in channel, like everything one place, event can call inside channel with hangouts app.

Pros:

I like team workspace like design of app, especially the channels for teams, private channels, taggings by team, threads, and bots inside it which are very useful for variety of reasons, helping to increase users productivity and contributing for team to work fast. Another thing seems to me very useful is integrating google calendar with slack which show to my teammates when I am busy or in a meeting or when I am free near my name on app.

Cons:

Sometimes it has problems with mobile app push notifications, e.x many times I tried to reply message from push notifications but seems it not sends message showing could not send without notifying me. Another thing I noticed in recent times It has problems with video streaming, I mean when someone uploads video It sometimes streams very slowly .

Leon
CEO, Project Manager, Senior Graphic Designer in Brazil
Design, 2–10 Employees

Slack solves most issues, but not all

Comments: Slack felt very familiar for me since I already used Discord for social and gaming needs. I liked the ability to customise my interface with literally any colour I chose and the apps and addons I could add (namely, ClickUp) were extremely helpful. However, the pricing model proved a bit too aggressive for my company. I have a small design company in Brasil (which means North American dollars are about five times as expensive for me from the get go), and our biggest selling point is the fact that we keep very close contact with our clients, bringing them into most design discussions. In that light, my intention was to seamlessly transition all my clients from their WhatsApp groups to their own Slack channel. The issue was that *even paying*, the amount of "free guests" I could invite was very limited. I was not able to add all clients, and that ultimately meant I couldn't fully transition to Slack. A small issue I also had was inviting via e-mail instead of (again, like in Discord or even WhatsApp itself) just generating a link my clients would click and be dropped into the channel created a small learning curve. Unfortunately, we ended up having to migrate to Discord itself in order to get out of WhatsApp.

Pros:

It essentially makes e-mailing obsolete and has several neat utilities that help streamline the thought, decision, discussion and feedback processes.

Cons:

I had less control than I expected (and needed) in regards to overall look and feel, as well as the users' level of interaction in an attempt to soften the learning curve and address some of the app-switching angst. On top of that, the imposing pricing limitations effectively made it impossible for my company to fully transition to Slack.

Lisa
Agile Coach in US
Computer Software, Self Employed

Best Collaboration Tool Available!

Comments: Slack has been wonderful to use both professionally and personally. I have managed multiple cross functional projects utilizing this tool to gather the most recent information needed for status reports, metrics, check-ins etc. Personally I use it to collaborate with my Agile Coach friends across the globe to share tools, tips and tricks we use while supporting our teams at work. We also use it monthly during our zoom meetups to chat amongst ourselves and share info during the call etc. I highly recoomend this collaborative tool.

Pros:

I LOVE that you can create your own channels to keep conversations and shared documents organized and easily accessible for different groups you are collaborating with. I also LOVE that these channels don't expire and can be accessed by anyone across the globe that you are collaborating with. This has changed the way collaboration can happen virtually in real time!

Cons:

The # hashtags can cause me issues when I am searching for things but I am starting to get better at using them.

Dulce
Legal Assistant in US
Legal Services, 11–50 Employees

Best app for messaging!

Comments: Slack is very fun to use and easy to get used to. I think every company should use it.
It’s also very private so only people within the company have access to message you. External users cannot find you or message you. Great software overall!

Pros:

This app is very easy to get used to and it’s very customizable. You can choose a color theme or create your own and manage which channels you want muted or you got want to receive notifications. I also love that they have an mobile app, a desktop app or you can use the web browser to login. It’s a great way to communicate with colleagues 1:1 or by group chats (channels). You can also generate polls or gifs in the chat bar, respond to messages in a thread to not overflow the chat with responses and react to messages with emojis. I love it. I’ve used it for years!

Cons:

Every so often the software does have issues. It’s happened maybe once or twice a year where it crashes for a couple of hours and messages cannot be sent. I think it has to do with the server or something but it usually resolves pretty quickly.

Pranav
Pranav
Chief Executive Officer in Mauritius
Design, 1,001–5,000 Employees

The Ultimate Tool to Work From Home!

Comments: Slack enables me to coordinate all my Meetings and Team communications in a very professional Manner. It has been a great platform to share our files. Screen sharing is another add on worth it.

Pros:

Slack is a well thought platform for Entrepreneurs to use and be more efficient in a timely manner. Working from home, this tool has enabled me to work everything out on a single software and this saves me a lot of time.

Cons:

Concerning the Drawbacks, i have not quite found any yet, it is very user friendly and everyday you learn something new about the various features it has.

Sarah
Sarah
Chief Marketing Officer in India
Food & Beverages, 2–10 Employees

Slack has become the easiest way to get in touch with your teammates.

Comments: There cannot be a better way to communicate among teams than Slack. Slack has made our lifes easier since we have been working from home remotely from different parts of the globe but stay unified and connected with the help of this tool. They also have a mobile app that lets you access all your chats and files on your phone. Its a great tool for every organization.

Pros:

We have been using Slack for almost a year now and all our departments love it. It is a great way to catchup internally within teams or also coordinate with cross functional teams. We use slack for daily followups and project management and task tracking. The IT department of our organization also uses Slack for bug tracking and remote work. Team communication is now just a click away and we feel connected with Slack.

Cons:

Slack has no issues or bugs that we have faced so far. Works like a charm.

Marketing & Advertising, 11–50 Employees

Slack Review

Comments: Overall I don't know how we would function without Slack. It is a key component of our company workflow and with all the integrations available with Slack, we're being more productive, seeing less in our inbox, and getting work done faster and efficiently. We will likely move up to the paid version soon, since there are additional function's we'd like to use (like accessing archived conversations and files). I would recommend Slack to everyone - I even use it personally in place of other messaging apps!

Pros:

I love how easy Slack is to use. It's extremely user friendly with a familiar interface. If you ever used AIM (instant messenger) or iChat in the past, Slack will feel very similar. I also love that we can drag and drop to share large files in Slack. When working in a fast environment where things like presentations or creative need to be reviewed around quickly, but are too large to email, Slack is a really handy tool. Also, the ability to share code snippets without the formatting getting lost is huge while working with development teams. Excellent foresight by the Slack engineers to include this functionality. Finally, Slack bot responses! I was able to set up responses for lost passwords and logins for our team, as well as basics like team member phone numbers, or birthdays, so we aren't digging through address books and instead we can just quickly ask Slack for help. It's really great.

Cons:

One thing that's actually really frustrating is not having control over deleting conversations. As with any direct messaging app, there's an expectation of privacy between those two people. However, it's really unclear if upper management can ever access these direct messages. As such, I know a number of people who had tried to mass-delete threads (in the event mgmt could read them) but it wasn't possible in the free version of Slack (and I'm unsure if it's even available in the paid version). There are third party apps to help delete comments, but it'll only do yours and not the entire thread. It would be helpful for employees to know exactly how private their direct messages are, and have the ability to delete content they want to. Also, being able to have the slack bot responses work in direct messages, and not just open channels, would be nice. Being in a playful environment, different groups have added various, secret, slack bot responses, but most of our communication happens in direct messages and not in the open channels. As such we lose out of this fun functionality.

Aislinn
Aislinn
Marketing Assistant in Canada
Management Consulting, 11–50 Employees

Entreflow Consulting Group's use of Slack

Comments: One indicator of its awesomeness is that it was down earlier this week, and everybody was freaking out, so especially on our team, we were confused about what to do, do we send fax messages to each other? Do we find our pagers again? So it's definitely made an impact in our business if it goes down.

Pros:

Our favourite feature for slack is that it makes it super easy for teams to collaborate and communicate very easily. There are ways to connect with just single individual users, groups of users, or even have channels to communicate with people about different projects or topics of interest, super cool. It makes it really easy to communicate between members or within channels, so groups of people, set groups of people, and even with other organizations. So you can get on to another workspace at the company and you’ll communicate back and forth through that which is awesome. Also, there's some really good Zapp integrations and Native integration. So, for instance, we use it so that when a proposal is signed off on, we get a message to a specific channel on Slack to notify the whole team, of course with a cheesy GIF because why not, that a proposal was accepted and that this kicks off a whole bunch of other processes for us. And then as well, it has a really good direct integration with Google Drive. So, if somebody sends me a document, it shows up in a Slack channel for me so I can access that really easily, I can see any documents really easily.

Cons:

Although you can jump between workspaces really easily, it's a little bit cumbersome actually making that transition. So, I'd like to see it organized a little bit more like Asana where you've got a dropdown and you switch over rather than having to navigate over to the side and then select it, there's a little bit of a time lag.

Meisha
Marketing Manager in US
Computer Software, 501–1,000 Employees

Our Go-To Communication Channel

Comments: Great communication tool for teams and businesses—saves time and makes collaboration more efficient.

Pros:

I switched from using Skype at my last company to using Slack, and boy was it an upgrade. First and foremost, Slack is incredibly easy to learn and get used to. Once you're in there, it's easy to pick up on the nuances and other little hacks to make using the tool easier and more fun. I love the SlackBot, which can help set reminders and integrates with other tools (ex: Google Drive) to send updates on any comments, changes, etc. You can have group chats with up to 8 people, so organizing multiple conversations is relatively easy—though you cannot add someone to an existing chat/conversation, you'd have to set up a new chat with all parties. One of the other great features is the file-sharing functionality, where you can easily send over files, images, etc. for review and feedback. It saves a lot of time and reduces email clogs. Slack also offers a mobile app for on-the-go communication. It has been a bit buggy in the past (randomly stops working/shuts down) but has gotten better over time.

Cons:

As with most products with a paid solution, the free version does have a few limitations. With the free version, you can only see the last 10,000 messages—which sounds like a lot, but it can be a pain when searching for something mentioned in the past that's no longer available. And, not that this is necessarily a con, but it's important to be mindful of the information you share on Slack (or any other communication platform!). Admins can see everything that is shared and conversations can be requested for review.

Jared Allen
Data Entry Specialist in Philippines
Information Technology & Services, 201–500 Employees

Comments: Generally, experience is very useful and helped in sorting out the group correspondence quite well. Professionals: The best thing about slack is group cooperation and correspondence. The gathering and classifications in view of the subject are very great and help in the isolation of content in light of need. Also, it is very organized and easy to communicate especially in posting in thread.

Pros:

Slack assists you with talking and communicating with specific individuals and groups inside your association or different associations with Slack rapidly. It likewise allows you to track all that individuals have said about a thought so you can look by catchphrase for a particular thought. I love it. I use it consistently, and you might actually say it's the collective conscience for the association. It's such a ton lighter than an email client, and I want to do my help tickets with different associations with it(honestly, there's likely an application for it out there). This leads me to another incredible point; Slack is perfect for rapidly imparting thoughts and coordinating a few applications. Pretty soon, the association between SF and Slack will improve, I'm certain. Your association needs Slack in the event that it can manage the cost of it. It is priceless for diminishing the time it takes to team up and use aggregate insight.

Cons:

Allow me to begin by saying you're likely not going to find anything better than Slack. These reactions are enhancements to the item I think ought to be made however are in no way, shape, or form a legitimization for why you shouldn't utilize this. Email is killing your business by making you and your group sit around idly. My one test with any undertaking application is that it can get somewhat hard to figure even to design every one of those settings(email is more awful at this than Slack). I wish that settings were suggested in view of the use of highlights inside the application. Kindly assist me with figuring out how to involve Slack in additional useful ways. Kindly don't make me swim through help articles and directions. All things considered, put the button to switch the setting in a pop-around directly in the center of my work process or in a notice on Slackbot so I can roll out the improvement there and see the reason why it will assist me with being more useful. Warnings are difficult to make due, however, they're getting better at that. Simply realize I'm suffocating and would cherish a component worked in that offered the response to FAQs by utilizing some ML(apps that do this are too costly on the API to be worth the effort). I'm a well-informed authority and get pinged with a lot of DMs and's in channels that basically have similar responses. Assist me with volume so I as a solitary individual can help more individuals. Some something to think about. Also, they

Scott
Scott
Founder in US

It would be near impossible to unseat Slack as the king of communication software

Comments: It helps me communicate with colleagues across the world and lets me be more flexible geographically.

Pros:

Slack simply has everything I've ever wanted it to have. Everyone knows about it, everyone knows how to use it, and nobody ever has an issue. I am part of a handful of communities there where I enjoy collaborating with people across the world, but I also use it internally for work. I have used it at my past 3 companies, and I just honestly don't know how a company would operate without it these days. There are so many integrations, so many ways to share and collaborate, and it's accessible everywhere making it very reliable. We just starting testing out Hangouts Chat, which has the only advantage of being more integrated into Google, but I don't know how it could possibly unseat Slack. There just isn't a real problem with Slack in anything that you do, so while Google may make a comparable piece of software, I doubt they can battle the network effect that Slack already has.

Cons:

The thing I like least about this software is probably the culture it creates in that every is available everywhere all the time. While Slack addresses this with the ability to Snooze notifications, chat communications just makes you feel like you can have access to anyone and their work/information whenever you need it (and let's be honest, you always need it now). It's better for communications, but as always with something like this it's a double edged sword. The more connected you are, the more you are chained to work at all times. Of course it's the choice of the user to avoid that, but if it evolves culturally within a business because it's just so easy, then it's hard to avoid.

Cindy
Cindy
Closeout Specialist & HR Administrator in US
Telecommunications, 11–50 Employees

We are SLACKERS

Comments: It helped my company reduce the spillage of work into everyone's personal social media. It's also a really great way to communicate with coworkers and get things done. We've almost eliminated internal emails!

Pros:

The company I work for used to use a group chat in a social media platform to try to communicate with our employees - we're small, and the number of employees wasn't too large for this, but we had quite a few different group chats, and they all bled into our personal lives. When I found #Slack, I immediately knew this was the answer to the ever-leeching work-life balance conundrum caused by having everyone at work affiliated in my social media account. Within a few weeks, we had our core chat channels set up in #Slack, and we even installed busybot and a couple other add-ins. We were customizing it and using it company-wide in no time at all. It's been a life saver. The channels keep different streams of communication open, and the best part is that it's FREE - as long as we don't want to search back through past 10,000 messages in our archive, that is. But the best part of THAT is that it's there to upgrade when we want to. I actually have two jobs, and both of the companies I work for use #Slack - it's just that much better than the other options out there. We integrate our Google Calendars with it, and they show up in the channels we've chosen to filter them into so that employees can see the schedule for the next day.

Cons:

The only thing that I feel is missing is the ability to copy an image and paste it directly into #Slack from the desktop. You have to download the file and then upload it, which is not a major problem, but most applications have this ability now, so I constantly try to do it, and then it doesn't work.