15 years helping Irish businesses

About Intercom

Intercom is an AI powered, automation-first, customer service platform that enables businesses to deliver fast support at scale.

Learn more about Intercom

Pros:

Combined with my WordPress website, it has revolutionized my customer service. It's very easy to use for both the end user and me as an admin, yet so powerful.

Cons:

Customer service is terrible and they just don't give two hoots about their customers. Constantly introducing new features but not actually fixing the main feature that someone would need.

Intercom ratings

4.4
4.3
4.4
4.0

8.2/10

Intercom has an overall rating of 4.5 out 5 stars based on 1,045 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Intercom before?

Filter reviews (1,045)

Liam
Liam
People Operations Manager in US

Not Much Competition

Comments: Everything has been fantastic from the Customer Success-led implementation process to it being deployed to our users. Multiple compliments on the feasibility of use since purchasing.

Pros:

From both the administrative and user perspective, the ease of use and just overall depth of what you can create with the product is very impressive. It allows a great amount of customer support to be automated and simplify it's delivery via articles and a knowledge base that'll continually grow. Although it's not the biggest feature, as a user, I love that it's focused on getting you an answer/resolution the quickest way possible given the same entry method. Type "adding users" in an application with Intercom support will quickly both deliver you articles that can potentially solve your problem or will also quickly deploy a CSM to you to answer it directly in case it was a bit more complex. Best part though is the feedback cycle, you're typing exactly what you want to know into the application and if no articles return: New Content Topic.

Cons:

Theres really not much. I've run into situations where it was wrongly applied within other organizations and not properly resourced, giving a less than average experience. But that's not as much specific to Intercom themselves. Given they are the industry leader, it can come at a premium for a larger organizations.

Lillian
Lillian
Human Resources Generalist in US
Hospital & Health Care, 10,000+ Employees

Intercom is a great support system tool

Comments: Quickly and simply, I can access the Macros and write/update the articles in the assistance center. Streamlining the process of submitting tickets to the correct division for handling user concerns. It's a time saver for all teams because they can deal with it themselves.

Pros:

Streamlining the process of submitting and responding to tickets, and developing automated tools to streamline and simplify our daily lives. I appreciate how simple it is to locate articles and macros to distribute to my clientele. The addition of emoticons and gifs to the discourse is a nice touch, as well.

Cons:

Previous software allowed us to see the customer's input before he sent it. This allowed us to quickly respond to his query by reading it as he was writing it. If only I could keep seeing it.

Allison
Head of Customer Success in US
Computer Software, 2–10 Employees

Top of the line customer support solution with lots of features.

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Pros:

Intercom is super easy to use and doesn't require a lot of training of end users. I like that we can add it to directly to our website so that it's easily accessible by our customers. We also heavily utilize their proactive support features to alert customers to new features and updates, which is very handy. We also use their survey feature and like that it's easy for our customers to answer. Their chat feature is good and we like the automation that you can program to triage customer issues.

Cons:

I wish the ticketing feature was better so that we could more easily communicate tickets to engineering that need additional work and support and tag them to multiple customers. The Jira integration doesn't give enough visibility into what's happening in Jira as well. The reports from surveys also aren't the best/a little difficult to use. It's hard to sometimes see how the feedback we receive on questions corresponds with the score.

Susanna
COO in US
Hospital & Health Care, 11–50 Employees

Unreponsive and caused a severe service disruption

Comments: When COVID hit, we were evaluating our software solutions and inquired about switching from an annual contract to month-to-month. We asked what the changes to our pricing and feature suite would be if we moved forward with that change. We didn't get a response. Instead I received an automated email from their [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] that our contract was cancelled effective [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]. We reached out and for several days, did not get a response. On September 17th, our service was completely halted in the middle of the workday. Our team was unable to respond to any customer tickets for the remainder of the day. When we finally did get a hold of someone, they told us they were switching us to month to month, just as we had asked. We were told that was a completely different business platform and required a transition. None of this was communicated to us prior to the (entirely preventable) service outage, and again, we were just inquiring about the options should we choose to switch. We lost our settings as well as a previously agreed upon pricing discount built into our contract when they made this change. A manager was brought onto the phone and we were told they would get back to us with a concession because of the severe service disruption. We were never contacted again, until today when I was sent an email stating that they will not offer any concessions and they are sad to see us go, but that my Relationship Manager [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN], will no longer be available to me starting next week.

Pros:

When we were first started using them, they were flexible, had great customer service, and seemed genuinely invested in helping us succeed.

Cons:

Their customer service has been incredible poor. They caused a completely preventable service disruption that caused several hours of outage for our team, and have been difficult to get in touch with.

3 years ago

Hi Susanna, I'm sorry to hear about your experience with Intercom - this is certainly not how we want our customers to feel. I've taken a look through your account and can see there's an opportunity for us to more clearly communicate the necessary steps when changing billing models so you don't miss any steps. This is something that we're working on at the moment so I assure that your feedback will not go unheard. We never want an Intercom user to loose access to our tools as we recognize businesses rely on our services. Our Relationship Managers work exclusively with customers on annual contracts so as you will be moving to a monthly model you will no longer have access to that team, however you will still have access to to our support team via the messenger. I do want to recognize that response times in previous months have not been where we'd like but we've made changes and are back on track now. Thanks again for this post, Kate (Intercom - Customer Engagement)

Igor
Customer Success Team Leader in Poland

Decent software for Customer engagment

Pros:

The biggest advantage of Intercom is its wide range of options. With Intercom, you can set up bulk messaging, respond to incoming messages, and create tooltips or product tours. It is a software that meets most of our business needs.

Cons:

Most of the functions seem to be minimal viable products (MVPs) rather than full-fledged features. Specifically, the customer engagement options are either limited or not functioning properly. Additionally, the UI lacks coherence, for instance, the dark mode is only available in the inbox and not in other sections. This inconsistency can be quite frustrating.

CEO in Poland
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

All in one support tool that can grow with you from early stage startup to established organisation

Comments: Very positive and I would recommend Intercom to any early stage startup to apply for the Startup programme in order to get A LOT of functionality and bang for your buck. We have used Intercom from when it was just 2 [sensitive content hidden] to now a company of 50+ people, you don't need to waste time looking for another tool as it can grow with you.

Pros:

The conversation routing bot was extremely easy to set-up and empowered us to streamline and automate our customer service and support processes. Furthermore, the ability to add-on features and functionality, such as WhatsApp integrate, was great to allow us to customize what we needed for our business.

Cons:

Without the startup programme the pricing is quite aggressive with a basic package starting from $74 / month. Therefore, you really need to invest some time to set-up Intercom to add as much value as possible because it is pricey vs alternatives.

Emma
Emma
Senior Director Product Marketing in US
Hospital & Health Care, 10,000+ Employees

An innovative and beneficial resource for businesses.

Comments: Better and more convenient contact between us and our customers is always appreciated. Easy history tracking is made possible by this intuitive tool. It's simple to record my conversations and analyze them afterwards for development purposes.

Pros:

An easy-to-use intercom system. Easy to use even for first-timers, this program has just the right amount of detail without being overwhelming. The intercom is similar to another email program that we use, and I can explain why. Its fast features and user-friendly interface, such as the helpful and funny bot, greatly enhance customer service and lead to exceptional client satisfaction.

Cons:

I find that the intercom sometimes has trouble loading some conversations, which is a major drawback for me. As a customer service representative, you're fielding calls while waiting for the intercom inbox to load the customer's information. In addition to the holdup, additional issues have slowed down the operation of the customer support team.

Jennie
Jennie
Marketing Manager in US
Internet, 2–10 Employees

A Great Lead Capture

Comments: Makes customer communication and customer acquisition easier. I wish the chat flows were more advanced and customizable. There was definitely a learning curve with the chat flows. Also, I don't believe I can export contact information with my leads.

Pros:

-Capturing emails and names -Integrating to Hubspot and other software for easy lead closure -Creating chat flows allows us to communicate to customers faster and saves us time

Cons:

-Would like to combine actions on Intercom -Hubspot Integration is not perfect; would like to have specific field matching -Chat flow capabilities are limited

Computer Software, 2–10 Employees

Great live chat and marketing tool

Comments: Intercom is vital for our sales and customer service teams, we use it to communicate with our customers in real time and through email campaigns.

Pros:

It is easy to use, and honestly one of the best tools out there. Intercom has a ton of features that go from a simple chat bubble to interact with your users, to email marketing tools and AI bots. They have a ton of integrations with other services.

Cons:

Many features can be found behind a paywall and their tiers of service and bundles are not very clear.

Brandon
Brandon
Technical Support Specialist in Canada

Intercom is a powerful Customer Support Tool

Comments: Overall I would recommend intercom for clients looking for automation chat bots and customer support software. They have plenty of resources and their new product tour feature adds additional functionality to their suite of software.

Pros:

The knowledge center and live chat features were the most used features at our software company. These features were used regularly and automations within intercom helped serve clients efficiently.

Cons:

Lacks in reporting and knowledge base customization compared to ZenDesk. Innovation in new features can be slow at times.

3 years ago

Thanks for leaving us this review Brandon, and for letting us know how powerful you've found Intercom as a support tool. Thanks again, Kate (Intercom - Customer Engagement)

Tito
Freelancer in El Salvador
Arts & Crafts, Self Employed

The best option for LIVE CHAT and Support

Pros:

Intercom is the lease in the industry and that’s because is the best in Livechat and support software. I’ve tried a lot of services before, cheap and expensive and I can say intercom worth every penny and it’s the option that has given to me the best results.

Cons:

Nothing found until now. It’s really complete and well done solution.

4 years ago

Thank you for taking the time to leave us this review Tito. It's great to hear that Intercom is helping you drive results for your business. Thanks again, Kate (Intercom - Customer Engagement)

Hospital & Health Care, 2–10 Employees

Lots of Features but Frustrating When Messages Get Lost

Comments: Our team used intercom to support a large team of contractors that would frequently visit our website and work with us on a regular basis. We frequently use the "segment" feature to learn more about our population and to send out messages to certain segments. We also used a variety of integrations. For example, we used upscope.io so that we could immediately screenshare with any user who was on our website if they sent us a message on intercom that they needed help. The user would get a popup asing if they want to let the administrator view their screen and they just need to click "ok." That's it. It's that easy. Upscope.io integrates directly with intercom. You can also add Google Calendar to intercom so that intercom users can schedule a call with a teammate directly.

Pros:

Intercom allows for various quasi-queries, integrations, and outound messasges to your users. This is very helpful and is not available in all of the other customer support platforms that I have used. You can find out information about your customer population. You can send messages to only CERTAIN "segments" of your customer population. You can also integrate with a WIDE variety of other softwares to really up your customer support game.

Cons:

Intercom does not show all of the user messages together unless you open their profile OR they send their message as a response. So, for example, if a customer sends you a message, then 10 minutes later they create a new chat and send a new message, those messages are not linked togather unless you open their profile. I have had the experience of different agents answering the two messages or of answering one message only to see that the same user had sent a correction to their message. This is very frustrating. It can also be difficult for users to locate the knowledge base which leads to more inbound messages. Intercom is trying to solve this by bot responses, but this is something you may have to pay for.

A true ecosystem

Comments: We have stuck with intercom for 4 years at this point and no plans to leave. I think that is testament to how strong an offering they currently have.

Pros:

I would not have written a positive review about Intercom 12 months ago. There were too many small grievances with the individual features that were all building up. Recently the platform has matured enormously. It feels like the team at intercom has come into it's stride. New features like Series, Guides ect and most importantly - how they all work together - has made it a much better experience.

Cons:

Currently my 2 biggest gripes are cost and customer services. I do think for a scale-up the price gets very steep very quickly. The customer support thing is more annoying - a core part of Intercoms offering is instant-chat. I remember 2 years ago their own instant chat was really great - now it can take a long time for a response to come in.

3 years ago

Thank you so much for leaving us this review. I just shared your comments with our Product team and it mad their day! Especially the team working on our Series product :) I also really appreciate your feedback on our costs and support wait times, even more so considering you have been such a loyal and log-term customer. As of late our reply times have unfortunately slowed but we've been working (and hiring!) diligently to speed things back up to the expected turnaround times. That said our reply times do range from a few hours to a few days based on subscription (Premium receives the fastest turnaround time) and nature or urgency of the query. When it comes to costs we always aim to align these with the value you are seeing so if you feel this is not the case please do get in touch with the team via the messenger to chat through your options. Thanks again, Kate (Intercom - Customer Engagement)

Sam
Founder in Colombia
Computer Software, 2–10 Employees

No support, outrageous pricing and shady billing practices

Comments: We used to love it but their pricing is exorbitant and opaque. Once you are in a one year contract good luck getting hold of anyone to cancel it. They take over a day to reply and send you some minimal canned answer. There's nowhere in the interface where you can cancel or modify for the next billing period. and the whole thing is set to auto renew by default. Used to like them, now hate them in the extreme.

Pros:

The actual product works well. We'd have stayed using it for a long time if not for the changes in their billing and support.

Cons:

The support is now the minimum it could possibly be, even if you are spending $1200 a month with them. Good luck getting hold of someone. If it were to sell us some new aspect they'd probably reply in a snap.

last year

Hi Sam, Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience and being so candid. It's definitely not the service we aim for and I will be sharing this feedback with the wider team. I'd love if you could give me a few more details so that I can take a deeper look at this. If you feel comfortable doing that please email me directly. And if you ever have trouble getting hold of someone in future let me know. Thanks, Kate (Intercom, Customer Advocacy)

Fairly unreliable tool

Comments: When it works it is great, but the support team often avoids helping with issues and isn't available during a major outage.

Pros:

It has great features, when they are working correctly.

Cons:

There is no live support. During major outages, which are far from uncommon, it is impossible to reach anyone. Their support is only available via chat, with 1-5 business day response times. Since the support team uses the same chat platform they offer to customers, it isn't possible to reach someone during a major outage. The support is very low quality during emergency situations, so it is not a dependable tool for teams offering live customer support.

6 months ago

Bobby here from the customer support leadership team. Overall, sorry to see this and happy to chat more if you want — send me a message by email or LinkedIn DM! I also wanted to follow up on your feedback regarding our processes. We use Statuspage to communicate with customers during an incident or outage. We post as soon as we begin troubleshooting, share updates along the way, and communicate when it's resolved and what happened. You can also message us on Twitter during an incident, or send us an email. Intercom promises a 99.8% availability. We have never missed this, and on average exceed this target so outages are very rare thankfully. The CS team aims to respond within a few hours to 1 business day. Very soon we'll be even faster, and we'll continue to give human support to everybody. Bobby

Internet, 501–1,000 Employees

Intercom is a support agent's delight!

Comments: Fantastic.

Pros:

Intercom is easy to use and a supremely evolved support tool. It's a must have for early startups as they scale their businesses. Agent's can easily grasp and start using the product. The support articles are my favourite feature.

Cons:

I didn't like that Intercom does not support WhatsApp templates triggering via system APIs basis user actions.

Olivia
Director of Business Development in US
Financial Services, 51–200 Employees

Terrible customer service and onboarding

Comments: Onboarding was absolutely horrific. We even complained during onboarding about our rep. Basically our onboarding meeting comprised of --> Please log in and share your screen with us...now, what questions do you have for us? Excuse me? This is your product, what do you mean what questions we have? Everything, including how to set up and use your products. But the answers we got was basically the same, to look up the help center and let them know if any questions. It was terrible. The sales process was more informative than the actual onboarding. Awful response time from customer service. Can only chat, no calls. You're basically on your own once you pay them.

Pros:

The product once you get past the setting up and figure out everything on your own, is great and meets our needs. It's easy to chat with leads and customer and easy to install on any websites.

Cons:

Onboarding was a nightmare. Their help center is not all that helpful. You can only chat with customer service via the chatbot. It takes them 8 hours to over a day to respond back, if you're lucky (which is quite ironic for selling a chatbot product but they have zero urgency on their own). Everything costs extra, every feature is priced separately.

3 years ago

Hi Olivia, thank you for leaving us such a thorough and frank review. I'm glad that you found the tools meet your business needs but am sorry to hear our onboarding and support did not meet your expectations. I will personally be taking this feedback to the teams involved to help inform future improvements we can make here. Thank you for sharing this with us. Kate (Intercom - Customer Engagement)

Telecommunications, 11–50 Employees

Good product let down by atrocious customer support and shady pricing practices

Comments: We've been with Intercom for a number of years and unfortunately the customer service in the last 18 months has been atrocious. It's not possible to call anybody... everything is done via chat, which would be fine if they responded in a timely fashion but often it takes weeks to respond and often they'll just go radio silent. The irony. Whilst the product is very good, it will get VERY expensive VERY quickly once you start using the whole suite of products. Their constant changing of product names and pricing options is annoying to say the least, particularly when you come to use a feature that was previously within your package only to find it's been moved into a more expensive package and you need to upgrade to use it. Oh, and then there's the annual auto-renew buried in the small print so if you decide to move away from Intercom which we have just decided to do, you'll probably be tied in for longer than you expect.

Pros:

The software to be fair is the best integrated product out there if you need live chat, knowledgebases, chatbots, outbound marketing etc., all in the same package. The range of features is VERY comprehensive. Outbound campaigns are really nice as is the knowledgebase.

Cons:

Notifications for incoming chats are poor. If your support team are doing tasks other than sitting on Intercom all day it's easy to miss incoming chats. The AI bots are more miss than hit in my experience when it comes to suggesting solutions and some of the bot responses are simply bewildering.

Krish
COO in Australia
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

Effective, Easy to you, and worth learning additional features

Comments: Overall it has been good. I took the time to learn about some of the features and it has benefited me and the team greatly.

Pros:

I enjoy the interface and how you can create macros. It is easy to collaborate with the team.

Cons:

It can feel a bit anti-intuitive at times. This is something that has stopped us previously from using the product. There is also the hidden/paywalled features that are priced excessively that you need to contact a sales team to get.

Consumer Services, 2–10 Employees

Best CRM for Startups and Small company !

Comments: Intercom helped us to embrace the *fear* of customer interaction and how it's important to communicate and interact with your community. It took us some time to understand and embrace it but after practicing and using their tools, it gave us the opportunity to learn more about our members.

Pros:

Intercom have helps us so much to embrace our members and have an active relationship with them.One of the things that is very helpful is its user-friendly interface. The platform is easy to navigate, and it has a clean and organized layout that makes it simple to find what you need.The chat feature is intuitive and easy to use. It has allowed us to be quick and efficient with our communication when our customers are struggling with our services.Lastly but not least, the integrations are super important, so I do appreciate that it has a variety and range of important software app like Slack, Sendgrid, Gmail and social media because it helps us to keep the communication and interaction in one place !!

Cons:

I think the only thing that was hard to adapt on, it's the price. We had a super amazing one year trial as a startup but, if you're still struggling and you loose your startup perk. It can hurts on the pocket if you start to pay the real price. So, we had to keep our service on the minimal settings to avoid paying a price that is still yet difficult for us to pay.

Sylvina
Sylvina
Customer Success Manager in India

Fast and easy

Pros:

We used the chat system for our support team and Intercom made is super easy to get going. The chats were like personalized messages and we could set up introductory or absence messages for a duration set up. Automation is great.

Cons:

No reporting at all. They have reports within the system which is not editable and if you want to download and run your own reports, it is not possible. Makes it difficult to audit.

Alexis
Alexis
Customer Success Manager in US
Computer Software, 2–10 Employees

Easy-to-use tool with great features to make supporting customers a breeze!

Comments: We have been able to resolve customer questions in a much quicker time simply because we can access help articles quicker, get other team members in on the conversation more easily, and use integrations like co-browsing and attaching help articles to resolve a problem more quickly. Overall, Intercom has been a great experience compared to our past customer support apps and we are happy to be using this to improve our customer's experience in our app.

Pros:

It is great to have the ability to do so many things within one app: chat with our customers, write help articles, link help articles to our customers, send out messages to groups of people, easily find previous conversations, and create reports to monitor our progress. Intercom has really made our support workflow simple and much less confusing than other software tools we have used. They also integrate with a number of different tools (GitHub, ZenDesk, Upscope co-browsing, etc.) so anything that Intercom can't directly do, we can find a way to do through an integration.

Cons:

The Customer Support response times from Intercom are a bit long, but the team is always helpful and resolves any questions we have. I also wish the Articles were a little more built out - they just have some simple feature there, and it would be nice to have a more robust help center with the flexibility to format our articles the way we want and organize the collections differently.

Karan
CEO in Germany

Going downhill

Comments: We were excited to use Intercom but over time their customer support, aggressive and intransparent pricing has made us increasingly dissatisfied with it.

Pros:

The customer support features that it offers that allow us to communicate with our users directly in our app.

Cons:

The pricing keeps changing and is not transparent. The software is slow in several parts of it. Many things that can be done in bulk need to be done one by one (e.g. changing a variable in a user/lead information). Lack of support: for a company that is within the customer support category Intercom's support is quite disappointing.

4 years ago

Hi Karan, Thank you for taking the time to leave us this review and feedback. I'm very sorry to hear that you're losing the excitement you once felt for our products. We've updated our pricing to better align with the value our customers are seeing from our product and would like to work with you to figure out a way to minimize the impact of this change. Please get in touch with us directly via your Intercom messenger so someone can chat with you about your options. We really would hate to see you go! Kate (Intercom - Customer Engagement)

Lead Technical Support Engineer in US
Wireless, 51–200 Employees

I'm so glad we switched to Intercom!

Comments: It is a tool that was built by its users, meaning the people who build it also use it. I can begin to describe how important this is.
They have not limited themselves to what others are doing and have rethought the entire process f customer support to build what everyone wanted. A useful, effective tool which makes customer support fun to do as a job as well as receive. We often get asked by our customers what support tool we use. We love intercom!!

Pros:

It's a tool that gives you what you need and it does it well. They are ahead of the game in all ways. It makes customer success seamless and proactive. It's a multi-tool. It's changed the way people perceive customer support because it makes it fast, effective and fun. They write their own books (Awesome!) and they host seminars to help use the tools better.

Cons:

They take a while to release new features, this is no surprise as companies will need different things. It does not have a merging tool to link conversations to the person already in the system. Sometimes you get duplicate leads/users. They can take a while to respond to support inquiries. They changed their pricing structure which, when it was priced per lead and not per agent, made intercom stand out

Carlos
Carlos
Operations Lead in Honduras
Education Management, 11–50 Employees

A very simplistic tool to connect with your users.

Comments: Overall, my experience with Intercom has been great. It's very easy to set up and get it running on your site and it's very user-friendly from your customers/leads side. There are a lot of improvements that can be made but their support team is very approachable and helpful.

Pros:

- The interface is very straightforward, You get messages from users and you reply. - It allows you to snooze messages so you can focus on messages that are your priority. -There are a lot of customizable options so you can make Intercom more like your company and less like Intercom.

Cons:

-While metrics are simple and easy to follow, there should be more in-depth information like real response time. They use a "median response time" metric which to be honest is very confusing. -There should be a limit on how many conversations a user can open. If a user wants, they can open unlimited conversations which can be a pain for your support team. -There should be an option to delete messages in bulk.

6 years ago

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review Carlos. It's much appreciated. Just wanted to double-check - it's the ability to close conversations in bulk that you would require. Or do you mean delete conversations to they don't show up in your metrics?