• Overall
    4.2 /5
    4.4 /5
    3.8 /5

About Zenefits

Eliminate the stress and complexity of HR administration for you and your employees.

Learn more about Zenefits

Kathleen T.
Director of Finance
Printing, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 7/6/2021

"Very Poor Customer Support"

Comments: Very frustrating and a lot of time wasted.

Pros: Ease of use is good and Digital app for the employees is very helpful. Saves HR time in updating information because employees can do it themselves from their phone app.

Cons: Very poor customer support. Limited update and communication. I have open cases that are still open. Account rep is very nice but there's nothing he can do. If I talk to a live technical rep, they often give varying opinions, so it's confusing. Uploading renewal of Benefits package too cumbersome and I have been asking for someone to walk me through and I never got any response. They close the case when it's even resolved. After sales support is really very bad and that's where it's most needed.

• Reviewed on 7/6/2021
Nadia A.
Recruiter
Hospital & Health Care, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 3/6/2021

"Zenefits for Healthcare Recruiting and HR"

Comments: It's been average, nothing incredible but not sub-par.

Pros: It's pretty straightforward and not difficult to use. The pages I need are accessible at all times and I haven't had any serious issues.

Cons: Customer service is slow in terms of issue resolution, sometimes it can be glitchy. The layout is not impressive and a bit underwhelming. Not the most user friendly software.

• Reviewed on 3/6/2021
Tracy I.
VP of Operations
Market Research, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 19/11/2020

"Long time user of Zenefits"

Comments: Overall it's been super positive. Mistakes are always made, but Zenefits tries to rectify and solve problems instead of throwing their hands up and saying it's too hard.

Pros: What makes Zenefits most valuable to our business is the ease of onboarding new people and providing a 1 stop place for my HR department that is completely in the cloud and no need for reams of paper to be wasted. The PTO calendar and tracking is invaluable as well.

Cons: Zenefits started as a Benefits company with an HR platform, but has pivoted to providing Payroll as it's core business with the other add-ons. There is still some room for improvement on the payroll side and how to handle the customer service side of this.

• Reviewed on 19/11/2020
Brooks B.
Real Estate, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 11/8/2020

"Incredibly happy users"

Comments: Overall experience with Zenefits has been very good and we would highly recommend.

Pros: Zenefits is very to use and the onboarding process is a breeze.

Cons: Zenefits reporting has gotten better, but still has some room for improvement. Additionally, they could do a better job with year-end comp process/reporting.

• Reviewed on 11/8/2020
Director of Development, Mic Productions
Broadcast Media, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 13/11/2018

"Love hate relationship"

Comments: Listen, I'd still recommend them. I use the app almost daily, I log on at least a few times a week. It's a necessary tool in our belt and I'd be sad to lose them.

Pros: Ok, so it's great that Zenefits centralizes all of your HR needs into one system. It's certainly easier than logging into individual insurance sites. I like that the app loads quickly and can quickly give me info on my commuter benefits balance or show me my insurance info. It's also very easy to log personal days. And it's nice seeing the structure of the company within the website -- it's great for transparency.

Cons: Sometimes the zenefits team can't answer your question -- especially when it comes to insurance brouhaha. I nearly had a meltdown this past summer when my insurance company INSISTED I wasn't covered, but zenefits insisted that I was. No one would speak to each other, and only after a month of emails and calls was it ironed out. I can't say that this is zenefits' fault -- but it was annoying how deeply unhelpful they were.

• Reviewed on 13/11/2018
Robyn W.
COO
Primary/Secondary Education, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 10/1/2018

"Zenefits was the first HRIS system my small company used (100 employee)"

Comments: Worth taking a look at.

Pros: User friendly for both HR and employees (self-serve) --easy and intuitive to use. Incredibly easy to create customized reports off using almost any data point(s). Smooth automated benefits enrollment process. Responsive customer service and great online help tools. System doesn't go down and is fast enough to keep up with our needs.

Cons: Zenefits is still 'young' and getting its act together. Used to be free until last year and they are still evolving their pricing structure, so they may end up being too expensive for our small company. Considerable personnel turnover in past 2 years and change in how they manage some functions (for instance, they now outsource benefits management to a 3rd party company instead of managing benefits inhouse and I am not overly impressed with the current benefits mgmt. group). Limited paid time off functionality (system only allows tracking of one paid time off process and my company has 2 discrete time off policies).

• Reviewed on 10/1/2018
Chris M.
Operations Manager
Automotive, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 29/5/2020

"Easy and affordable"

Comments: Have been on this platform for 3 plus years. The software is always improving and new features are being introduced

Pros: Everything is cohesive and easy to learn and use.

Cons: Would like more pdf print options to be available

• Reviewed on 29/5/2020
Operations Director
  • Reviewed on 13/4/2018

"Overall I think the HRIS is a wonderful product. I do wish that benefit forms were easier to find"

Pros: Enrollment is simple, I like having one place for Associates to have most all their information, like their personal profile with contact information. We are remote company and have associates all over the nation. I think having paid time off in Zenefits is such a pro.
It's very easy for me to see who has time off coming up for scheduling.
It's nice housing our life insurance information as part of our offerings as well.

Cons: More options to upload documents like spreadsheet for tracking expenses for employees. We also have a company sponsored dental program and I wish I could enter that information in Zenefits as well.
Would love to have all my information for my company avail in ZF for employees.

• Reviewed on 13/4/2018
VP Finance/Controller
  • Reviewed on 7/5/2018

"I am a huge fan of Zenefits. Their software is easy to use and makes HR management easy."

Comments: Increased efficiency and makes HR management easy--no paperwork and everything is managed electronically. I'm a huge fan.

Pros: Before I joined MAX, I did not know software like Zenefits existed. This software is intuitive, easy to use and makes employee onboarding, separation and benefits management easy to do. It completely eliminates the mounds of paper that I used to accumulate for new hires and employees. In fact, I liked it so much that I recommended it to my former employer and they are now using it as well. I also had an incredible Benefits Advisor who always seems to have an ability to answer my crazy questions with efficiency and extreme patience.

Cons: While many things about Zenefits are absolutely amazing, the benefits we currently have (we are a small company) are probably not the best option for our employee base, size and age. I believe that the change Zenefits has made to focus on software and outsource benefits to OneDigital may resolve this challenge. And we have also grown, so that should help with pricing as well.

• Reviewed on 7/5/2018
Liv M.
Apparel & Fashion, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 20/2/2020

"Save yourself time and money!"

Comments: Horrible! I don't even know where to begin. Customer service is a joke. Promises not kept, reps telling you that they have 300+ messages in their inbox so you should wait. They have so many shady practices that it is hard for me to not call it a scam. Like not updating your employee numbers before they charge you a full year of service. We were charged more that double of what we should have paid and they now won't refund! They promised a 3 week setup period and here we are 7 months later not being able to use their payroll services. Thanks but no thanks.

Pros: Nothing! It looked good, it was presented good.

Cons: Do not let the sales rep convince you and save yourself thousands of nonrefundable dollars!

by Zenefits on 26/2/2020

Good afternoon Liz,
I am sorry to hear that your experience with Zenefits was less than satisfactory. Although not perfect, we are purposeful. Our goal is to provide each customer an experience we can take pride in.
We will use your feedback to create better training, a better user experience, and a better overall product.
We wish you well.

• Reviewed on 20/2/2020
Sarah H.
Talent Development Manager
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 7/12/2017

"Zenefits is a good starting point"

Comments: Zenefits was a great solution for my company when we were 1 - 60 people. Once things got complex, I feel like it made more sense to move to an HRIS where employment information was easier to track and update. However, for the cost and functionality, it definitely helped our company at an early stage.

Pros: - easy to use UI
- straight forward
- gets everything you need done
- completes background checks and a place for all employee information

Cons: - not super robost
- the customer service is helpful for quick things but anything in depth they take a few days to get back to you
- not supportive once you get over 100 employees (better off hiring a full-time HR person to manage all the stuff zenefits does)

• Reviewed on 7/12/2017
Consumer Services, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 21/7/2020

"Interactive HR and Payroll"

Comments: Takes the burden off doing taxes' mumbo jumbos.

Pros: It's fun to use. Very modern and user-intuitive. It also has HR supports and does our Taxes (UI and Quarterly reports, etc)

Cons: It could reduce some steps taken to complete payrolls. For example, when i approve the Time & Attendance app, it does not take me to the payroll app to hasve the payperiod submitted.

• Reviewed on 21/7/2020
Laura B.
Education Management, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 11/2/2021

"Lots of Potential but Customer Service is Abysmal"

Comments: Zenefits is fine until you have an issue and need a human being to walk you through something. You will sit on hold for literally hours until a rep answers. This has been my experience on multiple occasions. They are not good at heading off issues either. In January 2021 there was an issue where hours were not porting to payroll and payroll was due that day. As a user, I kept thinking what am I doing wrong, sat on hold for 3+ hours waiting for a rep, figured out a workaround only to find out it was a system issue. A simple email to administrators with the information and workaround would have saved me hours of work. Another current example is I have an employee who entered his SSN incorrectly into the system and now has a W2 that is incorrect. Customer Service has sent two form emails but zero information on what needs to be done and the timeline. Very frustrating to work with Zenefits especially when you have an issue that is time sensitive.

Pros: I like that I can keep my HR in one place online and the general onboarding of certain positions in our company with the template is easy and straightforward.

Cons: Time and Attendance is clunky to use accurately. There is an app for employees to clock in but it's easy for mistakes to occur. Onboarding is clunky too if you want to send an offer letter that is not part of a template and still have the new hire, say a manager with a negotiated salary, sign online.

• Reviewed on 11/2/2021
Entertainment, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 11/4/2018

"Zenefits has been invaluable to me as an HR tool."

Pros: It's the main HR hub for me. I was able to scrap 90% of my spreadsheets AND paper files once we made the switch. It's easy to use for both admin and employees, and their features are ever-expanding.

Cons: I'd be hard-pressed to find much that I do not like, but if I had to choose, I would say I'd like to add medical info and time and attendance to employee profiles much like PTO and documents are available from the profiles, rather than having to go to the medical section/time and attendance and select the employee in question.

• Reviewed on 11/4/2018
Donna H.
HR Specialist
  • Reviewed on 16/4/2018

"Zenefits us primarily in benefits administration, onboarding e-paperwork, and ACA reporting."

Comments: ACA Reporting, benefits administration, and electronic onboarding.

Pros: The apps are are very organized and "user friendly". Customer support has improved significantly in the past year. It is a pro that there are multiple HR functions electronically administered. It has made many HR functions in my company more efficient which allows us to focus on strategic goals and other areas. Zenefits assist us mostly in ACA reporting, e-paperwork for onboarding, limited compliance assistance, basic data reporting, and PTO administration. It has transition our new hire paperwork to e-files. Speaking from a small company of 65, it is a helpful product to keep data stored, electronic onboarding, PTO, and ACA Reporting.

Cons: Zenefits charges by certain App usage. For example, administering FSA or HSA via Zenefits will charge a fee per enrollees in addition to the number of employee per month. We are hoping for their Benchmark app from HR Compliance to provide more data that we can use to create customized reports. I believe that the benchmark data can definitely be improved. I would like to learn more about how this product can be used as a company's "Employer Intranet Portal" website or assist the company in "employee performance or management" function.

• Reviewed on 16/4/2018
Zack T.
Law Practice, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 13/11/2020

"Fantastic product inexpensively priced with lots of a la carte add ons"

Pros: The cost was much cheaper than continuing on with a PEO as we grew.

Cons: It's just always a little challenging getting to know new software.

• Reviewed on 13/11/2020
Keta J.
Pharmacist
Pharmaceuticals, 2-10 Employees

"Zenefits Review"

Comments: Overall, my experience has been wonderful with Zenefits. It has been life changing to help me organize my small business and it's HR needs.

Pros: Zenefits is very easy to customize for your specific needs. They are very knowledgeable and make sure you follow all federal and state guidelines. I also love using them for payroll.

Cons: It is sometimes hard to reach customer service if you have issues with finding something on the software.

Ziyad M.
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 27/5/2020

"Great HR software, payroll software, and more"

Pros: The payroll service is really neat and intuitive. The idea that I can run additional payruns at no additional cost is a really neat bonus

Cons: I thought not having a dedicated rep would be a problem, but when I request a call, they have been extremely helpful

Lisa D.
  • Reviewed on 21/9/2018

"Excellent UX - Lacks on the service provided"

Pros: The platform itself is incredibly easy to use. The time off feature was extremely valuable and appreciated by employees. Open Enrollment via the platform was easy for the employee and running reports was incredibly efficient. Overall, the platform was well made and well managed.

Cons: The payroll "integration" was never accurate so we couldn't rely on it. The service that Zenefits provided, from a Customer Service standpoint, was unreliable. We always had issues, whether it be random deletion of employees from our benefits, adding dependents randomly to our benefits, an agent assuring us something was taken care of and finding it was not, being provided incorrect info, taking long periods of time to correct errors, getting different answers from different reps, etc..., we could not rely on their service. We had to duplicate our efforts so frequently that the "automated" service Zenefits provided was irrelevant. Also, while the data migration was provided in a bulk download, we were missing documents and had to reactivate our account multiple times to retrieve missing documents. Nowadays, local insurance brokers are providing robust services with Open Enrollment platforms that integrate with most systems - Zenefits and the headache of their customer service doesn't provide value any longer.

• Reviewed on 21/9/2018
Samantha E.
HR Manager
Telecommunications, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/1/2019

"Makes HR easier on a one HR Manager company"

Comments: Customer support has greatly improved in the last two years as it seems they have found their niche in being an HR platform and not a benefits engine. They have a great culture and it shows in their product, which is inspiring

Pros: Interface is simple to navigate and find what you are looking for.

Cons: Reporting features could be improved- it is something I see Zenefits working on, but I still end up having to massage the reports in excel to get what I need.

• Reviewed on 17/1/2019
Morgan S.
Director of People and Culture
Apparel & Fashion, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 4/3/2019

"Life Got Way Easier!"

Comments: Zenefits has helped us go to the next level in performance management. The business analytics tool makes running reports so easy, and the performance management app helps us schedule and record reviews and evaluations.

Pros: Transitioning to Zenefits has made on-boarding, payroll, and benefits administration a dream. It houses customizable offer letters and integrates with our company apps (Slack and G-suite) so that each employee has all their paperwork filled out before they even come it. Zenefits has truly taken the paperwork and busywork out of HR for us!

Cons: There's nothing I don't like about Zenefits, but I'd like to see them integrate an applicant tracking system so that we can house the entire employee experience in one platform.

• Reviewed on 4/3/2019
Jonathan B.
HR Manager
Marketing & Advertising
  • Reviewed on 14/9/2016

"Zenefits has made a strong come back, still some minor tweaks"

Pros: The products goals is really to allow employees to handle all HR related decisions online so that HR reps don't need to handle. Employees can enroll and terminate benefits, address changes, vacation requests all from their computer or mobile device. Also all offer letters and signing of electronic documents goes directly through zenefits. This is especially helpful for automatically getting all employees to sign your policy book, non solicitation etc. without needing any paper copies or scanning into a company database.

Cons: You will be assigned an Account Manager who is very responsive and good. However a lot of more technical questions, like why is there an issue with an employees benefits, need to be handled by specialists that can take a good few days or more to get an answer with. Items that need to be looked into deeper do take a bit of time

• Reviewed on 14/9/2016
Jessica L.
Director of People and Culture
11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 10/4/2018

"Easy to use and administratively very helpful"

Comments: Zenefits frees up administrative time for me. It allows me to easily hire someone and or terminate someone. It also produces some easily accessible and easy to read reports that are important to my HR practice.

Pros: The employees can go in and make their own administrative changes such as, direct deposit and/or tax changes. I also like the hiring process. Again, from an administrative point of view, it really streamlines the process for me.

Cons: it is sometimes hard to find how to make changes. I don't like not being able to call ONE particular person if I have issues.

• Reviewed on 10/4/2018
Paul B.
11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 16/7/2018

"Huge fan of Zenefits. We use them for everything employee related. A+ tool for entrepreneurs."

Comments: Zenefits is my HR executive. They handle everything with ease.

Pros: Hiring, employee benefits, contractor payments, payroll software integration, heath insurance. It's a complete one-stop shop with clear pricing and great support.

Cons: Not much to complain about. Occasionally a 3rd party vendor in the Zenefits ecosystem has a glitch. However, Zenefits support jumps in and handles the issue.

• Reviewed on 16/7/2018
Rachel R.
Medical Practice, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 5/9/2017

"Zenefits -- the simple, functional HRIS"

Pros: We utilized this solution at a Series B funded startup at the time and the major influence for selecting Zenefits was due to price point and customization. You are able to keep clean employee files, documents, and have new hires e-sign their paperwork.

Cons: Sometimes the system was very clunky, we were not able to do certain things and some users would have different views, although the same permissions. Support was very poor here. Although we used this system during 2015 when there was a lot of internal turmoil at Zenefits. Overall we made it work!

• Reviewed on 5/9/2017