• Overall
    4.2 /5
    4.4 /5
    3.8 /5

About Zenefits

Eliminate the stress and complexity of HR administration for you and your employees.

Learn more about Zenefits

Shae J.
Human Resources Director
  • Reviewed on 16/8/2019

"Seamless low-cost solution for small to mid-sized companies that kills busy work"

Comments: -Paperless onboarding/offboarding to support a remote workforce -Integrations with existing ATS, removing the needs for duplicate data entry -Digital document storage, allowing us to digitize all employee files. No more paper! -Time off tracking: Automatic rating to managers for review and approval of all time off requests while keeping the HR team aware of team schedules. Transparent reporting to have conversations with employees regarding the time off trends (% of unplanned versus planned time off). Time off solution also supports Prop 206 mandated sick leave. -Health insurance platform that allows for the execution of open enrollment, qualifying life events and new hire enrollments for all lines of coverage (med, dent, vision, life and disability). HSA app built in to allow employees to review available balances and submit out of pocket expenses. -ACA compliance: Built into existing subscription model that allows for ACA reporting, submission to IRS and 1094/1095 creation without the need for an accountant or an expensive solution. -Business intelligence: Real-time standard and customized reporting. I use this solution heavily as a federal contractor to execute our annual affirmative action reporting.

Pros: With a solution like Zenefits, I have managed to reduce the HR budget year-over-year while going 100% paperless. The integration with our applicant tracking system allows me to push data seamlessly from my mobile device directly to Zenefits to extend an offer, wherever, whenever. I am no longer chained to the constraints of my desk, which is critical for an HR team of one. Easily the most comprehensive solution in the market (at this price point) that addresses onboarding/offboarding, automated and customized email triggers to employees, time and attendance, insurance, aca compliance, reporting (standard and custom) and a multitude of integrations. Since becoming a client over 2 years ago, I have gone to market year-over-year, and haven't found a solution that is comparable. Zenefits kills the busy work and allows me to dedicate time to our employees and driving meaningful initiatives, restructuring the experience with HR to being a partnership versus an administrative burden.

Cons: I would love it if the custom email triggers were built out with greater functionality. Right now I highly utilize this tool but I see the opportunity for additional growth. The site should have a support number listed in the event of an outage. Right now you can only access support if you are logged into the dashboard.

• Reviewed on 16/8/2019
Tracy I.
VP of Operations
Market Research, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 19/11/2020

"Long time user of Zenefits"

Comments: Overall it's been super positive. Mistakes are always made, but Zenefits tries to rectify and solve problems instead of throwing their hands up and saying it's too hard.

Pros: What makes Zenefits most valuable to our business is the ease of onboarding new people and providing a 1 stop place for my HR department that is completely in the cloud and no need for reams of paper to be wasted. The PTO calendar and tracking is invaluable as well.

Cons: Zenefits started as a Benefits company with an HR platform, but has pivoted to providing Payroll as it's core business with the other add-ons. There is still some room for improvement on the payroll side and how to handle the customer service side of this.

• Reviewed on 19/11/2020
Jennifer N.
Director of Operations
  • Reviewed on 13/11/2020

"Life Saver"

Comments: Time Saved! Compliance is always taken care of...not much to worry about.

Pros: Zenefits was a life saver for me! Everything was done manually before Zenefits so the amount of time is saved was amazing. The ease of use is incredible and I love the reporting capabilities.

Cons: Support response can be slow, especially for tax items

• Reviewed on 13/11/2020
Robbie J.
ceo
  • Reviewed on 28/4/2020

"No customer service at all"

Comments: I wish I knew about the way they handle customer service before changing over.

Pros: The software is great, but if you have a problem forget about it! You're screwed. They only talk by appointment and on their time.

Cons: If you have a problem forget about it! You're screwed. They only talk by appointment and on their time.

by Zenefits on 4/5/2020

Thank you for your note, Robbie - I am so sorry our customer service didn't live up to your expectations. I have asked our AE & CE team to reach out to your directly to see if we can help solve any issues you may have, but in the interim please feel free to reach out to me directly at [email protected] and I will do my best to assist you. Stay safe!

• Reviewed on 28/4/2020
Director of Operations
Education Management, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 25/11/2020

"User friendly!!"

Comments: Wonderful overall, would definitely recommend

Pros: I love how incredibly user friendly zenefits is for the staff and management. The convenience of the app is a big bonus too.

Cons: Wish there was more customization available

• Reviewed on 25/11/2020
Billy S.
Controller
Nonprofit Organisation Management, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 28/5/2020

"Win-win-win"

Pros: Zenefits offers multiple HR processes in one system in a very user-friendly format. When we consolidated payroll, on-boarding, time tracking, FSA, and benefits admin, in one system, we saved time and paid less than what we were paying for all of the other systems combined. The ease of use of the system is really the special sauce though. It ensures the end-user keeps their individual information up-to-date.

Cons: Customer support could be better. When we first joined we were able to pay for a premium support package but that option is no longer available. Wait times have been long lately.

• Reviewed on 28/5/2020
Lauren G.
Product Support Team Lead
  • Reviewed on 25/3/2020

"Easy to use HR Platform"

Comments: Overall, I've enjoyed using Zenefits as both an employee and a manager. I enjoy the easy access to documents, overall design, and helpful Support team.

Pros: I've used Zenefits for almost 4 years now, and I've always enjoyed its ease of use and UI, compared with other HR portals I've used in the past (like ADP). As an employee, it's always easy for me to request time off, view other employees in the organization, view/manage benefits, file HSA claims, and more. When I started my job, I remember how easy the onboarding process was with digital signatures on documents and other important forms. I'm now a manager and enjoy the interface for each of my direct reports. As a visual person, I also enjoy the simple design and color scheme. Reaching out to the Support team is also easy - via email and requesting a call. Support agents have been helpful and friendly.

Cons: It's a bit vague about who I should contact with issues regarding my account, in the Help portal. I never know if I should I contact my HR Manager or Zenefits support directly? For example, my Zenefits HSA no longer works. I can't find info the Knowledge Base on how to get a replacement card. This will lead me to submit a support ticket, but I wish I could find the answer easier in the app. I also think an account walk-through would be nice for new users.

by Zenefits on 26/3/2020

Lauren, we appreciate your feedback and your business!

• Reviewed on 25/3/2020
Diana P.
Human Resources & Compliance Manager
Nonprofit Organisation Management, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 11/4/2018

"I have used many HRIS products in my career - I love the simplicity and sophistication of Zenefits!"

Pros: There is so much to love - ease of configuration, plug and play functionality, instantaneous user access, complete control of documents, transparency to users, intuitive and consistent interfaces - the back-end touches that make this system so simple to use. New hires consistently comment on the simplicity of their onboarding and the professional appearance of the documents and emails they receive through Zenefits. I also appreciate that COBRA and other compliance requirements are seamlessly handled for me. I can be an HR department of one with Zenefits as my HR Coordinator. As a small nonprofit, we look for value and long-term investment in everything we buy - this has been one of the best and most effective purchases we have made.

Cons: I haven't found anything that I don't like or that I like less than something else. I have always been pleased with the changes and improvements made and have always received great customer service in a timely manner.

• Reviewed on 11/4/2018
Micah T.
Logistics Officer
Medical Devices, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 21/11/2020

"Great all-in-one HR software"

Pros: Lots of tools in one software (payroll, PTO tracking, timeclock, integrations, hiring/firing, doc management, etc)
Easy to setup, easy to use
Integrates with our 401K, medical, etc

Cons: Support is a bit clunky
Can be a little slow

• Reviewed on 21/11/2020
Adam B.
Business Manager
Construction, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 7/2/2019

"All encompassing HR Solution! TRULY - SOLUTION"

Comments: Saw huge cost savings pulled together many items into a central portal. Love the mobile app for people our spread out to different locations.

Pros: The most important part is the ease of use for a complete solution. We use Onboarding, Time & Attendance, Payroll, Time Off, Benefits Admin, HSA Admin, Performance Management and the additional resources regarding HR, compliance. ITS ALL IN ONE PLACE! The convenience of having all of our HR-related items in one place for your people is priceless. We are able to run 4 companies from one portal, very effectively.

Cons: Employee support is generally handled digitally not over the phone. Most of our people prefer phone calls. However, support is very receptive and gets the job done well.

• Reviewed on 7/2/2019
Operations Director
  • Reviewed on 13/4/2018

"Overall I think the HRIS is a wonderful product. I do wish that benefit forms were easier to find"

Pros: Enrollment is simple, I like having one place for Associates to have most all their information, like their personal profile with contact information. We are remote company and have associates all over the nation. I think having paid time off in Zenefits is such a pro.
It's very easy for me to see who has time off coming up for scheduling.
It's nice housing our life insurance information as part of our offerings as well.

Cons: More options to upload documents like spreadsheet for tracking expenses for employees. We also have a company sponsored dental program and I wish I could enter that information in Zenefits as well.
Would love to have all my information for my company avail in ZF for employees.

• Reviewed on 13/4/2018
Tiersa J.
Operatons
Automotive, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/1/2020

"Stay Away - save yourself the headache, it's not worth the hype."

Comments: I regret doing business with them. Even though I knew I was signing a year contract, and after many attempts at getting our taxes properly filed I felt I had enough valid issues and things we had been promised that they did not follow through on but they refused to let us out of our contract. We ended up switching mid year [which is not ideal] to another vendor and we had to pay the remainder of our contract to Zenefits even though we didn't use them for the last 8 months. Even the tax issues that we were still dealing with months later it was really difficult to find an email address to send to support to get our tax issue fixed - once you tell them you don't want to process your payroll through them they cut you off and you can't call the fake number either. It's been horrible and I am OVERJOYED THAT WE NO LONGER HAVE TO DO BUSINESS WITH THEM. The only reason I left the vendor BEFORE them was because we had outgrown them, we needed more features and functionality than they could provide. We have since moved on to better.

Pros: Very little. We signed a year contract, and switched after 4 months because we had so many legal and tax issues that they caused.

Cons: 1. The set up process was a nightmare - it took weeks because the system kept saying a certain part was done and a week later I would get an URGENT email that that part still had to be completed.
2. Several items I was guaranteed at sign up - and I have in writing - for pricing and functionality, were later denied to us. Providing proof of what we were told provided no further help.
3. There is no "real" phone number. You can call tech support, but all they will say is they will have "that department email you within XX number of hours" Many times it was up to a week, and often the issue was not resolved because no matter how we explained it they didn't understand the issue. And all support is handled through email no matter what, even if a phone call would SAVE HOURS OF TIME!
4. The pre- and post-tax items were entered into the system, come to find out they didn't classify them properly so the taxes were not calculated correctly.
5. The FEDERAL and STATE TAXES were filed incorrectly and we had tax notices from both that we owed money past due, then we ended up getting a small refund because one was paid twice. The state taxes for the first quarter of the year were NOT FILED AT ALL, even though they told me they had done so.
6. The tax reports are NOT AVAILABLE in your portal, you have to specifically request them - this to me makes no sense.
7. There is more but this will do for now.

by Zenefits on 4/3/2020

Sad to hear your experience was less than ideal Tiersa. We will use your feedback to improve training and the user experience.

• Reviewed on 17/1/2020
Mike F.
Managing Director
  • Reviewed on 14/6/2019

"Zenefits for the win!"

Pros: Beyond the intuitive user experience and great customer service, I have found the outside software/resource integrations to be one of the most valuable things to our business. They have leading and like-minded software relationships that make everyday accounting tasks a breeze (i.e. Zenefits, QuickBooks Online & Guideline 401k all speak to each other and remove the hassle of having to manage each one individually).

Cons: If I had to pick something for the Zenefits platform to improve, it would be the mobile app experience. It is certainly functional but I would love to harness the power of the desktop experience on mobile.

• Reviewed on 14/6/2019
Jamie O.
Human Resources
Airlines/Aviation, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 10/4/2018

"The platform has definitely matured!"

Comments: Ease of onboarding. Simple for new hires to get into the system and turned on as an employee. The compliance tracking is nice, but unless you use the time and attendance aspect of this system, you are going to put in a lot more work to get the years 1094c's completed.

Pros: The ease of use. Particularly from the employees side when it comes to onboarding. Employees always find it easy to navigate, and finish their onboarding tasks with ease.

Cons: The rising costs. I can find other systems that offer more features for less. With each additional aspect of your system now each costing their own amount, by the time you add up each module your costs are too much for a small to medium sized organization to assume.

Savanna V.
Director of HR
Oil & Energy, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/5/2018

"Great platform, not great at handling changes."

Pros: Zenefits does a great job of providing a platform that works to fill the holes in a small business. Their compliance tools are some of my favorite.

Cons: When Zenefits transitioned to a third party benefits administrator, there was no communication to our company. The only way we knew there was a change was because the benefits admin reached out to us! The same thing happened when they switched us to a third party for COBRA administration. We found out because we were trying to solve a COBRA problem with Zenefits & halfway to the resolution the Zenefits team member let me know that they were no longer our admin. It was very frustrating.

• Reviewed on 14/5/2018
Allen K.
Managing Director
Retail, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 25/10/2018

"Zenefits payroll is very bulky. It is also limited and lacks functionality."

Comments: Zenefits is pretty low-tech masquerading as some high tech Payroll software. There's nothing that high tech about them and just about every person on the customer service side lacks basic knowledge of its functionality. It is a lot more confusing than Gusto and is nothing more than a series of modules built on Django, Javascript and jQuery with very basic databases that run on cron jobs. I can live with the product that Zenefits has despite all of its shortcomings but the people behind it need much better training. Their fake enthusiasm coupled with little to no knowledge of the platform, hr, or payroll is a huge turn off.

Pros: Time & Attendance: Users are able to seamlessly clock in and out from their phones once they get familiar with Zenefits.
PTO: PTO is simple and streamlined.

Cons: Customer Service: The chat agents are a waste of time to talk to. The phone agents know very little but can at least put you on hold, ask their supervisor and learn as they go along.
Pay Runs are akward but here is the process:
1. You need to approve your employees timesheets.
2. Timesheets need to be pushed to payroll. This requires some time. Looks like its set up on a cron job so if you just missed it you need to wait a few minutes for it to get pushed.
3. From there you add the deductions and reimbursements. If you don't have the types set up, you'll need to step away and set them up. There's no memo you can input once you add a deduction. For example, if its an employee purchase it doesn't allow you to describe what was purchased.
4. You approve the pay run, push it through and wait for confirmation. Another cron job most likely.
PTO Policy is there but since its so easy to do, its subject to a lot of abuse. You cannot reimburse an employee in net earnings. The functionality just isn't there. You need to select whether employees clock in through an iPad or their phones. You can't mix and match. The app for an administrator is absolutely useless. There's not much you can do as an admin from your phone. Navigating is bulky. Instead of selecting your employee and seamlessly flowing through everything that relates to them, you need to first pick which module you want to use and toggle back and forth between modules.

• Reviewed on 25/10/2018
Brooks B.
Real Estate, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 11/8/2020

"Incredibly happy users"

Comments: Overall experience with Zenefits has been very good and we would highly recommend.

Pros: Zenefits is very to use and the onboarding process is a breeze.

Cons: Zenefits reporting has gotten better, but still has some room for improvement. Additionally, they could do a better job with year-end comp process/reporting.

• Reviewed on 11/8/2020
Theresa K.
Director of HR & Development
Management Consulting, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 6/12/2016

"Zenefits Platform"

Comments: I had the opportunity to move to the Zenefits platform from a larger HR software platform. The main reason for the move was due to budgeting constraints with our business. I was rewarded through this change by gaining a system that was easy to use on both the administration side as well as the end user side. In fact, I was given a compliment on the Zenefits platform by the head of our IT department. He commented that both the look and feel of the Zenefits platform was a huge improvement to the system that we used previously.

Pros: Employees were able to complete onboarding online which sped up the HR paperwork process as well as allows documents to be stored on the cloud. The Zenefits platform also allowed employees to update their personal, banking, tax information on their own without having to complete the work via a paper process as we had in the past.

Cons: Because Zenefits is acting as your insurance broker, you must work through them for all edits, changes, or updates. This process took longer than we had been used to because we had managed everything on our end working straight through the insurance carrier.

• Reviewed on 6/12/2016
Talent and Employee Engagement
Design, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 11/12/2017

"Good Customer Service, Limited Options unless you opt for upgrades"

Pros: So far, Zenefits has been great to support the needs of a growing company. The help center is great and customer service is fantastic. Clean, crisp layout and no errors in loading/commands. Very very easy to use for administrators and employees.

Cons: They limit key features, such as payroll and commuter benefits, and force you to go with their service instead of integrating with other providers. It isn't a huge con but it makes it difficult since they market themselves as lightweight, highly integratable and improves onboarding/ hr management. Just a little cumbersome as these steps in onboarding must be completed separate.

• Reviewed on 11/12/2017
Encourager, Coach, Mentor
  • Reviewed on 20/6/2018

"Zenefits helps you manage all of your HR Functions in one place"

Comments: ease of use, tons of resources, great customer service

Pros: With the exception of applicant tracking, you can manage everything from this system (and they do offer integrations with ATS systems). I love how easy it is to navigate, the additional resources to help make HR life easier and the great and responsive customer service.

Cons: Formerly, some documents were out of date, but they have done a great job in updating everything. There's really nothing that I don't like.

• Reviewed on 20/6/2018
Gerald G.
Director of Bringing in Really Cool People
Real Estate, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 10/4/2018

"The products advertised sounded very good. Not all live up to their promises."

Pros: The software is very easy to navigate. Its easy to go from one module to another. Information loaded into system is automatically entered across to other modules.

Cons: Some of the product modules still have a way to go to catch up to other providers, especially in the Payroll arena. Zenefits Payroll is not able to perform some of the basics that other products have. They are also not set up well to handle multiple companies under a single umbrella.

Alize L.
Community and Culture Manager
  • Reviewed on 27/5/2020

"Great HRIS Software!"

Comments: Great! We depends on Zenefits daily to track time and attendance, vacation, compliance info, employee onboardings, and more! Their team has always been quick to help if I have any setbacks and they roll out updates to improve the user experience frequently.

Pros: The simple navigation and easily available support via chat or phone call.

Cons: The Time & Attendance app user interface can be improved. Sometimes lags and has some kinks to be worked out but is overall good!

• Reviewed on 27/5/2020
Erin F.
Legal Assistant
  • Reviewed on 25/6/2018

"We use this software for the majority of our employment and payroll processes"

Pros: Extremely easy to use. When using the payroll system the software emails the employee reminders for submitting time sheets before payroll is approved. The software stores all of our personal information securely. It also allows access to some information about the company or employees in regards to department breakdowns and heads of departments. There is an app so it makes it easier for people to use the software.

Cons: I have not really had any issues with this software and I think if there was a problem it would be really easy to get help with all the ways they offer support

• Reviewed on 25/6/2018
Greyson H.
Payroll Manager
Consumer Goods, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 10/11/2020

"Great payroll platform for small-sized businesses"

Comments: Overall I think it's a great platform for small businesses or companies that are just starting out.

Pros: I like that it gets the job done, it's user friendly, and it's relatively intuitive and is easy to use.

Cons: Not a lot of options to customize. Unable to add employees to an off-cycle after it's been created which means you have to start over or add an additional off-cycle to capture a missed employee.

• Reviewed on 10/11/2020
Rachel R.
HR Director
Medical Practice, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 5/9/2017

"Zenefits -- the simple, functional HRIS"

Pros: We utilized this solution at a Series B funded startup at the time and the major influence for selecting Zenefits was due to price point and customization. You are able to keep clean employee files, documents, and have new hires e-sign their paperwork.

Cons: Sometimes the system was very clunky, we were not able to do certain things and some users would have different views, although the same permissions. Support was very poor here. Although we used this system during 2015 when there was a lot of internal turmoil at Zenefits. Overall we made it work!

• Reviewed on 5/9/2017